Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How the overall majority odds moved on a dramatic night of pol

Comments

• Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477
    edited June 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

Can I thank whoever tipped Wirral South at 7/1? Unrelatedly,

ab195 said:

Floater said:

ab195 said:

GIN1138 said:

ab195 said:

The PM (or one of the grown ups in her cabinet) need to be addressing the young directly. They voted, she has ignored them, and potentially little will change. Myths will build. She needs to be humble and open, and in listening mode. She needs a young friendly policy now.

Or her replacement does.

There's nothing the Tories can do or say to win over the young. They are Jezza's now.

The only thing that will change this is when Jezza gets power and they see the true horror of what a hard left, marxist government looks like.
    Snip
    Where do they do this?

I'm most curious
    Come on, not one conservative politician in the last seven years has made any effort to think about the morale of the public sector. Spiteful stuff like cutting holiday allowances and TCs was paired with (at times) necessary pay restrictions in the name of "modernisation" and has done precisely the opposite. Any Tory near a microphone speaks about further reform, but without any effort to reach or to the large chunk of e.g. the civil service that actively wants to modernise and hates some of the old fashioned nonsense.

It's also in the lexicon - such as referring to the private sector as the "productive" part of the economy. Activists on fora like this one assuming the public sector is a Labour block vote is also the sort of statement that quickly becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

If you don't feel like someone wants your vote, eventually you stop worrying about the argument for any of their policies in any other areas.
    I don't know what you do, but one bit of rhetoric which always pisses me off is the distinction between NHS "front line staff", every one of whom is a nobler version of Florence Nightingale, and administrators who are by implication a bunch of bureaucratic jobsworths. Those promoting this vision should perform the thought experiment of imagining an operating theatre with an operation in progress, and then removing from it each element which would not be there but for administrators.
    Yes. Exactly this. I won't, for obvious reasons, give too much away about what I do, but the idea that all "managers" are always bad needs challenging. As does the idea that a skilled professional (like a surgeon or a teacher) is necessarily well equipped to run a large organisation with things like HR and procurement problems (like a hospital or a big school). "Front line staff" is an utterly meaningless statement in this context.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,629
    edited June 2017
    Labour take Kensington - another hyper-marginal!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,953

Labour take Kensington

We know... ;)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,288
    From Twitter

To be fair Theresa May warned of coalition of chaos propped up by extremist terrorist sympathisers. She just didn't say she'd be leading it.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    GIN1138 said:

Well there was talk in the 70's of a coup being needed... But in the end democracy sorted it out.
    It will do so again...

There was indeed such talk, Mr Gin - but only among extreme-right wing elderly Tories. normal people - the vast majority of the population, did not think any such thing.

What sort of people did you mix with?
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477

ab195 said:

Come on, not one conservative politician in the last seven years has made any effort to think about the morale of the public sector. Spiteful stuff like cutting holiday allowances and TCs was paired with (at times) necessary pay restrictions in the name of "modernisation" and has done precisely the opposite. Any Tory near a microphone speaks about further reform, but without any effort to reach or to the large chunk of e.g. the civil service that actively wants to modernise and hates some of the old fashioned nonsense.

It's also in the lexicon - such as referring to the private sector as the "productive" part of the economy. Activists on fora like this one assuming the public sector is a Labour block vote is also the sort of statement that quickly becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

If you don't feel like someone wants your vote, eventually you stop worrying about the argument for any of their policies in any other areas.

This is an excellent post. Yes, it is even in the vocabulary and the phrasing. How many teachers were pleased to hear they were part of Gove's "Blob"? (An analysis he was in many ways fundamentally right about, but nobody should have heard that word til he wrote his memoirs 30 years later!)

Also enjoyed @Ismael_Z's response.
    Yes. If you identify someone as a block and your enemy (like "the blob") then they might just decide to agree with you. And then you've lost them.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    tlg86 said:

Another BBC man showing his lefty credentials ;-)

https://twitter.com/JohnSimpsonNews/status/873204898548109312

He's also wrong. May's still PM and their support might have helped stop Jezza.
    I disagree. May is still PM but she's lost her majority - that means despite being overwhelmingly backed by tabloids she actually lost ground in this GE and had her own authority and credibility shot to pieces, despite her flaws essentially being glossed over by the Daily Mail and The Sun. Within that context of such press coverage, May should not be losing, but instead gaining ground.

Furthermore, it seems rather unlikely that they 'helped stopped Jezza.' Despite the increased negative coverage of Corbyn, in the polls which were actually right - Survation and YouGov - the Conservative poll lead continued to decrease at an incredible rate, and May's ratings nose dived while Corbyn's rose. The Mail heralded the Conservative Manifesto on its front page, describing May as leader who 'told the truth': yet that same manifesto went down terribly with the British public.

It seems clear that the tabloids are losing their influence. Cried wolf one too many times.
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    chloe said:

Evening all. I'm still trying to digest the events of the last 24 hours. I wanted the Conservatives to win but for weeks I had strong doubts that they would given the relentlessly negative media coverage and letting Corbyn hog the limelight. The votes have been counted and yes they are the largest party but it has to listen to the voters. They did not give May a ringing endorsement and I find it untenable that she and the government can carry on regardless as if the vote never happened. Things need to change and that starts with May going. If May and the government carry on as if nothing has happened then they deserve to lose next time. I don't want a Corbyn government but the current government has to change starting with May leaving her position.

Yes she has to go very soon, announce she will stay as caretaker, and change leader, which may well be Boris.
    I suspect it will happen very rapidly, she has lost the confidence of her party, and lost a few of her MPs, she is finished. Hope she sleeps on it and makes the right decision.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    HaroldO said:

Plus it doesn't matter what official DUP policy is, or what is in any agreement. Every stupid quote, every daft past policy, every odd association will be all over the news for weeks and weeks.

I'm going to enjoy seeing all those people who airily dismissed "every stupid quote, every daft past policy, every odd association" when it related to Jezza, McDonnell and their mates get very wound up when such things can be used to "smear" (I think this now the approved word) the Tories and their "friends".

Owen Jones provided a classic example this morning.

Hypocrites.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    GIN1138 said:
    It is an ex-plan, bereft of life.....
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308
    jayfdee said:

chloe said:

Evening all. I'm still trying to digest the events of the last 24 hours. I wanted the Conservatives to win but for weeks I had strong doubts that they would given the relentlessly negative media coverage and letting Corbyn hog the limelight. The votes have been counted and yes they are the largest party but it has to listen to the voters. They did not give May a ringing endorsement and I find it untenable that she and the government can carry on regardless as if the vote never happened. Things need to change and that starts with May going. If May and the government carry on as if nothing has happened then they deserve to lose next time. I don't want a Corbyn government but the current government has to change starting with May leaving her position.

Yes she has to go very soon, announce she will stay as caretaker, and change leader, which may well be Boris.
    I suspect it will happen very rapidly, she has lost the confidence of her party, and lost a few of her MPs, she is finished. Hope she sleeps on it and makes the right decision.
    Boris would not be my choice but more importantly the government has to show it has listened and changed.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    kyf_100 said:

Help To Buy was well intentioned but had the opposite effect of driving house prices up even further because of limited supply. The answer is to build, build, build.

A party truly serious about doing that would abolish green belts. I will be dead and buried long before that ever happens.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I'm going to enjoy seeing all those people who airily dismissed "every stupid quote, every daft past policy, every odd association" when it related to Jezza, McDonnell and their mates get very wound up when such things can be used to "smear" (I think this now the approved word) the Tories and their "friends".

Hypocrites.

That's one of the politest words I'd use to describe them.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Honestly, what do people think the DUP are going to ask for for their support?

Jesus christ, it doesn't affect any England and Wales items, it will only come into play on UK legislation most of which if you voted Conservative you voted for in the first place.

The DUP's target is at home, and the running at Stormont, its also likely to soften elements of Brexit already and it ensures a Northern Ireland voice for an important sub plot within Brexit.

The DUP will not rock that boat on the big picture.

• Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mrs May is desperate to retoxify the Tory brand isn't she?

The D U fucking P.

We've done a deal with the party of Sammy 'The gays are poofs and perverts' Wilson.

Trust me in 2015 English voters weren't keen on sending their money to Scotland, they won't be happy about sending English money to Northern Ireland.

What has Northern Ireland ever done for England except brought terrorism to the mainland ?

Mrs May needs to be deposed before she fatally damages the Tories, if she already hasn't.

Biggest issue raised on my knocking up yesterday? Disability cuts. Osborne did quite enough as chancellor 15-16 to retoxify the brand all on his own.

How do you propose to get to 326?
    But Mrs May knows so much better than the posh boys?

Well there are two very simple ways of getting to 326

1) Don't break your word and call a snap election and lose your majority

or

2) Fight a good general election campaign.

May is a stain on the Tory power, and the sooner she is removed the better.
    Changing the subject old bean.

I know you're angry - we all are. But now we have 318/19, we have to form a government....
    For the last year you've been banging on how awful the posh boys were and how brilliant Mrs May was.

Suck it up, your girl has been proven to be the pound shop Gordon Brown I warned you she'd be.
    For about the 19th time in the past day, I can accept that.

But the way you're talking you'd prefer a Corbyn government...

No I'd prefer a Tory majority government.

But Kensington has gone red under Mrs May's watch.

Let that sink in.

That's like Bootle going Blue.
    How many Scots Tories won seats under Dave?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HaroldO said:

Plus it doesn't matter what official DUP policy is, or what is in any agreement. Every stupid quote, every daft past policy, every odd association will be all over the news for weeks and weeks.

Hypocrites.
    Yup, it will become a mud fight....in one area where the Tories didn't have to fight as they had clear demarcation.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Saltire said:

Alistair said:

Not toxic, won't reflect badly on anyone making a deal with them.
    Somehow not surprised that the Scottish voices are some of the most vocal about how bad an idea it is to a deal with the DUP.
    A long history of sectarianism and all it's associated problems especially in Glasgow but also in other towns and cities in Scotland makes people very wary of parties who divide on religious grounds.
    I lived in Glasgow for 15 years and miss it a lot, but I do not fucking miss marching season one little bit.

Some English posters​, I feel, have a bit of a quaint Masonic-lodge-with-bowler-hats view of the Orange Order.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

The D U fucking P.

We've done a deal with the party of Sammy 'The gays are poofs and perverts' Wilson.

Trust me in 2015 English voters weren't keen on sending their money to Scotland, they won't be happy about sending English money to Northern Ireland.

What has Northern Ireland ever done for England except brought terrorism to the mainland ?

Mrs May needs to be deposed before she fatally damages the Tories, if she already hasn't.

Biggest issue raised on my knocking up yesterday? Disability cuts. Osborne did quite enough as chancellor 15-16 to retoxify the brand all on his own.

or

I know you're angry - we all are. But now we have 318/19, we have to form a government....
    For the last year you've been banging on how awful the posh boys were and how brilliant Mrs May was.

Suck it up, your girl has been proven to be the pound shop Gordon Brown I warned you she'd be.

Let that sink in.

If it were the old K&C, yes.

As it is, it's more like Mansfield or Stoke South...
    How long had the Tories held Canterbury for before Mrs May bestrode the commons like a colossus?
  • Options
    glw said:

kyf_100 said:

Help To Buy was well intentioned but had the opposite effect of driving house prices up even further because of limited supply. The answer is to build, build, build.

A party truly serious about doing that would abolish green belts. I will be dead and buried long before that ever happens.
    I actually do wonder which party is most likely to do this. The Tories would be crucified by their current voters but would gain future voters (would they arrive overnight though or over the years as the policy is felt?). It would obviously chime with the economic interests of many of the new (not New) Labour voters but I can imagine the abolition of the "green" belt may go down poorly with them at the same time.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,941
    I wonder if Nick Clegg will go back to his old job - negotiating trade deals for the EU?
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

RobD said:

There's some interesting discussion on Twitter about whether the Salisbury Convention that binds the Lords to supporting manifesto commitments applies to minority governments. Consensus seems to be that it doesn't.

This government is not doing anything but brexit (if it can even do that!)
    But can it get the Great Repeal Bill through parliament? Can it get a majority for leaving the single market?
    Does it need a majority to leave the single market? Article 50 has been triggered, the clock is ticking to March 2019 at which point the UK exits the single market when it's membership of the EU ends.

• Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    Y0kel said:

Jesus christ, it doesn't affect any England and Wales items, it will only come into play on UK legislation most of which if you voted Conservative you voted for in the first place.

The DUP's target is at home, and the running at Stormont, its also likely to soften elements of Brexit already and it ensures a Northern Ireland voice for an important sub plot within Brexit.

This is as powerful as they have ever been, and likely ever will be.

They would have to be monumentally stupid to take an action that leads to the collapse of this parliament, and hence their power.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    edited June 2017
    Cyclefree said:

HaroldO said:

Hypocrites.
    True, but it won't stop it happening.

May's behaviour today was unsurprising but disappointing. She's locked into this "stability" meme and that led her to make a decision too quickly and to make the wrong speech.

Most people know almost nothing about the cloistered world of NI politics, and May is opening that world up to scrutiny, much of which will be distorted. And that will have a price.

In theory the unionist coalition could be a long-term solution. In practice I can't see how it can be a good idea to open this can of worms.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/alliehbnews/status/873279647936630784

They've really touched up that photo.. I swear she was wearing something that was bright blue?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Saltire said:

Alistair said:

Somehow not surprised that the Scottish voices are some of the most vocal about how bad an idea it is to a deal with the DUP.
    A long history of sectarianism and all it's associated problems especially in Glasgow but also in other towns and cities in Scotland makes people very wary of parties who divide on religious grounds.
    I lived in Glasgow for 15 years and miss it a lot, but I do not fucking miss marching season one little bit.

Some English posters​, I feel, have a bit of a quaint Masonic-lodge-with-bowler-hats view of the Orange Order.
    I have no view, like most people around Nottingham if I'm honest. The whole thing is so foreign that we know nothing about it.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

The D U fucking P.

or

Gordon Brown NEVER got most seats and most votes at a General Election.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    Y0kel said:

The DUP are lower class. That's their problem
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    Scouring around my bookie accounts for anything I've forgotten and I think I've found quite possibly the world's worst ever 2 bets with one bookie - PaddyP:

£20 @100-1 on Lib Dems winning Buckingham in the GE (there was a short time when they were running on our local village facebook)

£10 @500-1 on NI Cons winning North Down - Lady Hermon did nearly lose but only to the DUP...

The latter was a free bet at least and the other free bet was on a match Chelsea won so there's £10 in the account which I'd forgotten.

Yay!
  • Options

Y0kel said:

They would have to be monumentally stupid to take an action that leads to the collapse of this parliament, and hence their power.
    Based on my understanding, and these guys do have a strong back office operation, part of this to try to move Brexit along, part of it is self interest but they know it has a time limit.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,158
    edited June 2017

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

The D U fucking P.

or

Let that sink in.

No it isn't.

There was a constituency which included the name Kensington won by Labour in these elections:

And for Kensington on the red column there's Stoke S, Derbyshire NE and Mansfield in the blue.

You and Pulpstar could do a victory tour of Dronfield one night :wink:

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    What the Tories really need now is a couple of selectively educated posh boys running the top team...

...like Labour
  • Options
    May will go soon enough, she is just being used as a human shield.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,796
    So Ruthie's position is:

"We'll never be mastered
    By no Orange bastard"

In future, when we say LOL on PB we'll have to clarify whether we mean Laugh Out Loud or Loyal Orange Lodge.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,465
    IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

isam said:

Sandpit said:

Please can we have another "Next Conservative Leader" thread? Preferably identifying the 50/1 outsider who will win it?

;-)

Lay the favourite.

*goes to check Betfair*

Boris is the favourite.

Really lay the favourite.
    3.3 on Boris, that's way too short.

Second fav is Ruth Davidson at 6.6 - that's a lay too, she isn't an MP.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/politics/event/28051208/market?marketId=1.125574963
    I reckon Boris would've got a majority. Media is all that matters
    I'm not so sure about that. What should really worry the Tories is, what if May actually did okay - she won Mansfield FFS! How many other Tories could have got that? The more I think about this the more I think the Tories are completely f*****.
    Boris can campaign. He proved that in London twice and in the EURef. The question with him is whether he can govern.
    I am thinking that this last question is rather more than a minor detail!?
    No, you're not - though the question is debatable rather than resolved in the negative. In any case, the true question is whether he could govern at least as effectively as the other credible alternatives.
  • Options

glw said:

kyf_100 said:

I actually do wonder which party is most likely to do this. The Tories would be crucified by their current voters but would gain future voters (would they arrive overnight though or over the years as the policy is felt?). It would obviously chime with the economic interests of many of the new (not New) Labour voters but I can imagine the abolition of the "green" belt may go down poorly with them at the same time.
    I doubt any of the current parties would do it. So we cram ever smaller and crappier houses into out cities, with tiny gardens and no useful parking, rather than do the bloody obvious and allow cities to expand.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Y0kel said:

The DUP are lower class. That's their problem
    And you wonder why there is a chip on the shoulder.
  • Options
    It's not about what the DUP ask for!

It's that they are now linked to the Conservatives. Every time a vote comes up that need their support to pass the press will drag up Ulster Resistance or some other shit to embarrass the Conservatives.

This is politics 101.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Y0kel said:

Based on my understanding, and these guys do have a strong back office operation, part of this to try to move Brexit along, part of it is self interest but they know it has a time limit.
    Thanks @y0kel. Always appreciate your input.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Y0kel said:

I'm beginning to feel sorry for her.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    That's wrong - the exit poll was:

Con 314
    Lab 266
    SNP 34
    LD 14

It's the header on the previous thread.
  • Options
    There's not much difference between the appeal of May and Cameron, overall. One of them won 306 and 330 seats, the other won 318.

Osborne though, is about as popular as AIDS.
  • Options

Don't many people among YOUR co-religionists believe in homophobia and extremism?
  • Options
    Philip May really needs to have a long talk with his wife.

She is simply not thinking straight.

She is damaging her party and the country and herself if she carries on like this.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

It's that they are now linked to the Conservatives. Every time a vote comes up that need their support to pass the press will drag up Ulster Resistance or some other shit to embarrass the Conservatives.

This is politics 101.

If you dont like it at the start you won't like it later.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,465

RobD said:

There's some interesting discussion on Twitter about whether the Salisbury Convention that binds the Lords to supporting manifesto commitments applies to minority governments. Consensus seems to be that it doesn't.

This government is not doing anything but brexit (if it can even do that!)
    But can it get the Great Repeal Bill through parliament? Can it get a majority for leaving the single market?
    Does it need a majority to leave the single market? Article 50 has been triggered, the clock is ticking to March 2019 at which point the UK exits the single market when it's membership of the EU ends.

Exactly. Yesterday's result made a Crash Brexit - i.e. leaving with no deal at all - much more likely.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Sean_F said:

There's not much difference between the appeal of May and Cameron, overall. One of them won 306 and 330 seats, the other won 318.

https://twitter.com/MarinaKim_/status/873282603851423744
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Is there any chance of Rory Stewart being a contender?
  • Options

Y0kel said:

I'm beginning to feel sorry for her.
    Don't. She failed in the objective when there was a good chance of succeeding. I'm sure she has capabilities but the British public don't go for people too distant. They can live with you being posh but they don't do pretentious and they don't do distant.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    Alistair said:

Saltire said:

Alistair said:

I know that the Scottish Tories will not want to be openly associated with the Orange order even if the will be a number of people in Scotland who are members of both. I really won't want to transport NI politics over to the west coast of Scotland.
    Also it certainly would make Douglas Ross's other job a lot harder for him!
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,551
    Y0kel said:

Her plan will be to get though the next 10 days until the negotiations start. At that point, it's a 'you can't change leader in the middle of negotiations' narrative.

She's ridden out the first 24 hours, she will carry on until 2019 now imho. But as soon as brexits done, that's it. Brexit will wholly consume her:
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Alistair said:

This is politics 101.

Plus this at a stroke neutralises potential alliances with the SNP, vague threats of a "coalition of chaos" and Corbyn's link to the IRA as attack lines in another election.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

The D U fucking P.

or

Gordon Brown NEVER got most seats and most votes at a General Election.
    Not clear why from TSE's perspective May is "your girl" (for most values of "your") . I believe TSE is a tory party member, unlike me, which surely makes T May his girl vis a vis non-members?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,408
    More irony than an iron foundry in Ironville, KY.

https://twitter.com/Alconcalcia/status/873155829494689793

• Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959
    Mea Culpa Post:

Despite ending marginally up on the election, most of the bets I tipped on PB.com weren't very good. For a more rounded admission I've gone through all my bets and present:

Best Bet: Con > 10 Scottish seats @ 14/1 (which someone else (TSE?) tipped)
    Worst Bet: Lab < 200 seats @ 1/4 (and a hefty stake...)
    Best Loser: LD < 11 seats @ 14/1
    Worst Winner: Likely to be 'YouGov to show a Lab lead in 2017' @ 5/1
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Her plan will be to get though the next 10 days until the negotiations start. At that point, it's a 'you can't change leader in the middle of negotiations' narrative.

She's ridden out the first 24 hours, she will carry on until 2019 now imho. But as soon as brexits done, that's it. Brexit will wholly consume her:

She can't pick her own cabinet.

She can't negotiate a lunch order at this point.

She would get laughed out of the room in Brussels
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    If the trouble that led to Rifkind resigning had happened a few weeks earlier, wouldn't Boris have been MP for Kensington - in which case the big story now would have been him losing his seat.

Seem to recall he chose Uxbridge as his seat, then just afterwards Rifkind resigned and everyone said he would have much preferred to have had Kensington due to its location.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

She is damaging her party and the country and herself if she carries on like this.

I don't think she's up to it.

I detest the rage and hatred towards for her not being Dave or George, who also proved to be not up to it.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    One Show tonight, May was an object of ridicule for both guests and presenters.

This cannot endure.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    HaroldO said:

GIN1138 said:
    It is an ex-plan, bereft of life.....
    You may have to sell your house while you are alive to pay for your care.

• Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,014

Having totted up my bets. A 14/60 hit rate. PBers tips on the Scottish seats and Ynys Mon saved my bacon. Down about £50 overall.

I've totted up mine too. Lost on overall majority - I traded out but still lost.
    Won several hundreds on Tories > 10 seats in Scotland, High Peak at 12/1, Ceridigion at 13/2. Also won on Richmond Park (unfortunately), Twickenham and St Ives. A few small constituency losers. Up over £700 overall.
  • Options

Alistair said:

This is politics 101.

Plus this at a stroke neutralises potential alliances with the SNP, vague threats of a "coalition of chaos" and Corbyn's link to the IRA as attack lines in another election.
    Just how many current Conservative voters will vote Corbyn of the back of this? 10%, 5%?

• Options

Y0kel said:

Her party is unlikely to buy that.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Con gains from Labour:

Stoke South
    Walsall North
    Mansfield
    NE Derbyshire
    Middlesbrough South
    Copeland (by-election win)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I can see him having a few years off out of Westminster for political rehabilitation - he could detox like Portillo or Ed Balls. Would let Brexit pass by, which might help too, since if the issue is still live he would not go down well with Leave voters. I think he really needs to go on a "journey" for a proper rehab, but he seems far too smug for that.

He could go back to Westminster after that, but to what avail? There are lots of people, especially non-metropolitan types, public sector workers, families with disabled people and so on who viscerally hate his guts.

Funny because all the anecdotes suggest he is a smashing chap in person. But there are people I know who detest him with a fervour I have not even seen for other hate-figures Blair or Hunt or Salmond.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    rcs1000 said:

From Twitter

To be fair Theresa May warned of coalition of chaos propped up by extremist terrorist sympathisers. She just didn't say she'd be leading it.

We can thank May for keeping the Marxists out of Downing Street.

• Options
    DennisBetsDennisBets Posts: 244
    At last an election which paid out...

Sold CON MAJ over 99 and Bought LAB SEATS 285 plus
    wish i'd put more on but will pay for horse racing tomorrow.

I'm sick I didn't end up going for Hallam but would have lost the equivalent on Thurrock being a LAB gain.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

She lost seats and Cameron's majority to Jeremy Corbyn ffs . With no Ukip or lib dem challenge worth its salt. A slight difference I'd say.
  • Options
    Rudd and Gove. Lord help the Tory party if that's the best they can do.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Alistair said:

This is politics 101.

Just how many current Conservative voters will vote Corbyn of the back of this? 10%, 5%?

It's a load of shit. People don't equate the DUP with the IRA. If Dave or George cut a deal with the DUP, they'd be praised here for their brilliant political skills.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Am hoping things are underway behind the scenes.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

I don't think she's up to it.

I detest the rage and hatred towards for her not being Dave or George, who also proved to be not up to it.
    She cannot do Brexit.

She asked for a mandate. She did not get it. The EU know that. We know that. The Tories know that.

If the Tories do not act, they will add cowardice to the arrogance, stupidity, complacency and hubris they have displayed. Someone surely must see that. Surely?
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    List of all the majorities under 1,000. https://ukelect.wordpress.com/2017/06/09/2017-parliament-the-tighest-marginals/

Most of Scotland was one big toss-up!
  • Options
    I have never understood the idea amongst some Conservatives that Osborne could be leader.

Net vote loser.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    HaroldO said:

Alistair said:

Saltire said:

Alistair said:

I have no view, like most people around Nottingham if I'm honest. The whole thing is so foreign that we know nothing about it.
    It's only understood in NI Scotland and Liverpool, I tried to joke that signing "the sash" would be compulsory on our new bank holiday on 12/7 to be met by odd looks of complete lake of understanding. Some have said TM does not know her unionists but I wonder if that is actually true and canto differentiate between DUP and UUP
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Con gains from Labour:

Stoke South
    Walsall North
    Mansfield
    NE Derbyshire
    Middlesbrough South

Four of them, plus near misses in NewcastleUL and Ashfield, are in the north midlands area which has been good for the Conservatives in recent elections.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,748
    Oh

Sinn Fein says Tory/DUP alliance is in contravention of terms of Good Friday Agreement.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Con gains from Labour:

Stoke South
    Walsall North
    Mansfield
    NE Derbyshire
    Middlesbrough South

It would be interesting to see the swings in constituencies compared to the number of students.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Oh

Sinn Fein says Tory/DUP alliance is in contravention of terms of Good Friday Agreement.

If they don't like it they can always take their seats in the Commons. It would make it just that little bit more difficult.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

Sean_F said:

She lost seats and Cameron's majority to Jeremy Corbyn ffs . With no Ukip or lib dem challenge worth its salt. A slight difference I'd say.
    I think she was a rotten campaigner.

But, I think others would have struggled to do better.

People are sick of austerity. I don't see any easy way around this.
  • Options
    DennisBetsDennisBets Posts: 244
    sorry 185
  • Options

Oh

That is balls because its simply voting on key issues, thats like saying if the DUP voted in Parliament alongside the Conservatives for Article 50 thats in Breach of the Good Friday Agreement.

Got news Sinn Fein, uncle Tony is no longer there run over and soothe yer brows.
  • Options

Oh

Do they say which terms?
  • Options

Oh

Don't many people among YOUR co-religionists believe in homophobia and extremism?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,408
    edited June 2017
    There's a wee possibility this might be a photoshop jobby.

https://twitter.com/stovies5/status/873283697935503360
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Ruth is smart, Ruth can spot what is about to happen, listen to Ruth.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Y0kel said:

Alistair said:

This is politics 101.

It's a load of shit. People don't equate the DUP with the IRA. If Dave or George cut a deal with the DUP, they'd be praised here for their brilliant political skills.
    Well fortunately they didn't need to so we'll never know. Your views are coloured by your hatred of anyone ideologically impure on Europe.
  • Options

Oh

Fuck Sinn Fein.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

One Show tonight, May was an object of ridicule for both guests and presenters.

This cannot endure.

Shit, not the One Show! The game is up!
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Oh

Welp.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,748
    RobD said:

Oh

Do they say which terms?
    No.
This discussion has been closed.