Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With such a focus on Corbyn’s past with Sinn Féin it is ironic

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited June 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With such a focus on Corbyn’s past with Sinn Féin it is ironic we could have an effective Tory majority thanks to Sinn Féin abstentionism

Close to a majority but no cigar pic.twitter.com/tsftilkvLw

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    First!
  • Options
    46 to go, CON need 37
  • Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    Second like SCON.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    HYUFD said:

blueblue said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

MaxPB said:

As a group of political anoraks, can anyone think of a worse political campaign than this Tory one?

What it means is that the next time a political party wants to do something like reform social care they probably won't tell the electorate about it anywhere near an election. Is that a good thing?
    The voters clearly want populism at the moment not making hard decisions on funding social care etc, so Boris it has to be
    Agreed. Corbyn thinks he can use lies, bribes, and unicorns to charm a nation, but he's nothing compared to Boris. Time to fight populist fire with populist fire.
    Agree entirely, we have to play Corbyn at his own game, Boris it has to be. Davidson should stay in Scotland where she is clearly doing a fantastic job against the SNP
    Perhaps she could second herself to the English Tories 1 or 2 days a week.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    CORRECTION CON HOLD TEWKESBURY
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    edited June 2017
    7th. as in Ruth Davidson heaven

sixth, as in the sense that has won me far more than following ICM.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MordantMuppetry: BREAKING: Scotland declared an international Panda Sanctuary #GeneralElections2017
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,319
    If anyone can persuade Sinn Fein MPs to take their seats for the first time its Jezbollah
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Scott_P said:

@MordantMuppetry: BREAKING: Scotland declared an international Panda Sanctuary #GeneralElections2017

Chortle .... :smiley:
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Tewkesbury is a Con hold, not LD gain.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    RobD said:

46 to go, CON need 37

No chance.

Bring on the DUP!
  • Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 421
    Oxford West and Abingdon - 80%+ turnout - LibDems GAIN from CON - get in you beauty!
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Personally I can't vote for a Tory party led by Boris. Just can't.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

If anyone can persuade Sinn Fein MPs to take their seats for the first time its Jezbollah

They've said they won't.
  • Options
    @reactionlife: ITV reporting that Theresa May is likely to announce her intention to resign and trigger a Conservative leadership contest this morning.
  • Options
    I don't think Theresa May will resign if she can get a deal with the DUP.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,028

A LAB+LD+SNP+SF coalition government would have the PB tories covering every piece of exposed skin with fentanyl patches.
  • Options

Oxford West and Abingdon - 80%+ turnout - LibDems GAIN from CON - get in you beauty!

What fantastic turnout. Corbyn was right again, give people a real choice and they will turnout. Not as I would wish, but overall turnout must be pretty good.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    40% of the British public want free stuff and don't give a shiny shit what they have to do to get it. Kinda depressing really.

Side note: after the best Labour campaign and the worst Tory campaign in history, Labour can still win only about 260 seats in their own right with Corbyn. Since he and his clique will now become a permanent fixture in the Labour party's leadership, is that really the position a party that aspires to government wants to be in?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@reactionlife: ITV reporting that Theresa May is likely to announce her intention to resign and trigger a Conservative leadership contest this morning.

Quelle surprise
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Unfortunate timing :p
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

If that happened, we could easily find ourselves in 'A Very British Coup' situation
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I think she'll be gone within a few days at most.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    Earlier on, I did wonder whether Corbyn would get a majority due to Sinn Fein's entering parliament.

It's unthinkable before 2016, but may it happen?
  • Options
    @Sandpit....
    Scott_P said:

• Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    1 vote in it in Fife NE. SNP likely to ask for 3rd recount.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Yeah, she knows she is a goner. Wonder how long she will stick around Parliament.. suspect she won't have made many friends.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Loving the tmesis in the @wikiguido tweet.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815

@Sandpit....

Scott_P said:

And Rudd hangs in.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Boris is too divisive for a party that now needs 98% loyalty on every vote.
  • Options
    @JamieRoss7: Holy shit. The BBC is reporting there is one vote between the SNP and the Lib Dems in North East Fife.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Yeah, she knows she is a goner. Wonder how long she will stick around Parliament.. suspect she won't have made many friends.
    So Brexit negotiations will need to be postponed?
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308
    jonny83 said:

Personally I can't vote for a Tory party led by Boris. Just can't.

It can't be Boris.
  • Options
    Exit poll looking pretty spot on - Curtice and co outdid themselves from last time, while the pollsters flair (the one that was right was probably a fluke). YouGov's model also very good.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,311
    GB share on course for:

Con 43.5
    Lab 40.8

and Con approx 50 seats ahead
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

A LAB+LD+SNP+SF coalition government would have the PB tories covering every piece of exposed skin with fentanyl patches.
    It's also probably the only thing that could produce that mythical beast, the Tory landslide!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    Anyone have the Sheffield Central result ?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Get George in!
  • Options

Earlier on, I did wonder whether Corbyn would get a majority due to Sinn Fein's entering parliament.

Well they are his friends.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    the yougov last poll was 2% before re-allocations of Don't Knows took it to a 7% tory lead. It is a 2% tory lead right now.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    kle4 said:

What fantastic turnout. Corbyn was right again, give people a real choice and they will turnout. Not as I would wish, but overall turnout must be pretty good.
    "Giving people a choice" was one reason I paid my £3 and voted for Corbyn. (His opponents were another.)

At least this time people can't complain they didn't have a choice.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,358
    Sandpit said:

Caretaker PM
  • Options
    Just noticed this result:

Lanark & Hamilton East:

SNP 16444
    Con 16178
    Lab 16084
    LD 1214
    UKIP 550
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Maybe one of the decent Tory MPs who have been needlessly lost tonight can get parachuted into Maidenhead as compensation?
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    anyone know what the DUP position is on Single Market, considering tory manifesto ruled out single market?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,505
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

God, I do feel sorry for her. Well, I'd feel more sorry if she hadn't shafted the party with the dementia bomb.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    As predicted, Amber Rudd's majority is less than Nicholas Wilson's vote.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Get George in!
    I wonder if he wants a peerage?
  • Options
    The Tories would be taking the absolute p*ss if they elected Boris as leader/PM.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Yes, is that a realistic danger at all?
  • Options
    May must go.

Con has to go into next GE with new popular leader.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    I've been up for 26 hours ...
  • Options
    @robertshrimsley: We're about to hear insider accounts from a lot of senior Tory strategists all of whom will turn out to have argued for a different campaign
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,128
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Get George in!
    To do what ?

Increase student fees ?
    Increase house prices ?
    Borrow endless billions for his vanity projects ?

Please tell us what you expect George Osborne to do.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

May must go.

Con has to go into next GE with new popular leader.

The question is who, though.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

it shows.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

Get some sleep mate - 26 hours is too long to be awake!
  • Options
    edited June 2017

No. It would be toxic for Sinn Fein among their owns supporters.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

Loving the tmesis in the @wikiguido tweet.

Don't you mean a tm-bloody-esis?
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

God, I do feel sorry for her. Well, I'd feel more sorry if she hadn't shafted the party with the dementia bomb.
    Her acceptance speech was painful to watch.
  • Options

The Tories would be taking the absolute p*ss if they elected Boris as leader/PM.

Why? Labour's got a total liar and bullshitter as their leader, so why can't we?
  • Options
    What's going on in Southampton? No results yet.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,505
    Ishmael_Z said:

QTWTAIN. they would still have to swear the oath of allegiance
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Con hold Preseli Pembroke by 314
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@robertshrimsley: We're about to hear insider accounts from a lot of senior Tory strategists all of whom will turn out to have argued for a different campaign

Next election I am not going to believe anything the insiders say. They were confident they were doing well.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Lanark & Hamilton East:

SNP 16444
    Con 16178
    Lab 16084
    LD 1214
    UKIP 550

bloody hell, SNP coming through the middle.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited June 2017

"I, [insert post-terrorist name here], swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God."

Gonna call it unlikely.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Con hold Preseli Pembroke

Each hold is vital!
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Ishmael_Z said:

They'll never swear allegiance to the Crown. It'd be like the Pope announcing he's embracing Unitarianism.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    I see the same people who were lauding the will of the people after voting Leave are now attacking them for voting Labour
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    Easy win for Yvette Cooper. Rumours earlier today that she was in trouble wide of the mark.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    May is unimportant and pays the price for her hubris... the overriding issue is what this means for Brexit...
  • Options
    nunu said:

AndyJS said:

Lanark & Hamilton East:

SNP 16444
    Con 16178
    Lab 16084
    LD 1214
    UKIP 550

bloody hell, SNP coming through the middle.
    That won't happen next time :p
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Get George in!
    George couldn't be arsed to stand.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Next election I am not going to believe anything the insiders say. They were confident they were doing well.
    They were going on polling which turned out to be claptrap.
  • Options
    So that's the fourth consecutive Tory PM and every one since 1979 to have their Premiership/destroyed by EC/EU affairs
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Con gain Stoke on Trent South.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Any news of Caroline Lucas?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    AndyJS said:

What's going on in Southampton? No results yet.

There was a recount in Itchen. I hope Royston gets back in.
  • Options
    Tories on 292. Need 34 more out of the last 42
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

GAIN!
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,028
    Ishmael_Z said:

He could offer them a referendum on a united Ireland. They'd bite his hand off. #32COUNTYREF
  • Options
    Con Forecast back UP to 318
  • Options

I see the same people who were lauding the will of the people after voting Leave are now attacking them for voting Labour

Really? Which people?
  • Options
    Imagine if Labour didn't do the coup, Corbyn would be PM now probably!
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Kerching
  • Options
    39 to go, need 32.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    NE Fife going to a 3rd recount 1 or 2 votes in it.
  • Options
    3rd recount in Fife NE
  • Options

So that's the fourth consecutive Tory PM and every one since 1979 to have their Premiership/destroyed by EC/EU affairs

Hmm, no one forced her to talk about property confiscation.
  • Options
    Tories targetting Leeds East....
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    NE Fife - BBC think LD win by 1 vote. unconfirmed.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,534

dr_spyn said:

Kerching
    Thank fuck.

Every seat helps.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    stoke on trent south gain for con
  • Options

It definitely won't be Boris. He's great as a provincial mayor, or as a representative abroad, but he ain't PM material and has way too many skeletons. The MPs and the membership will go for someone more sensible.
  • Options
    Con gain Stoke South from Lab.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Blimey! Could have been lots.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Brilliant :)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Lanark & Hamilton East:

SNP 16444
    Con 16178
    Lab 16084
    LD 1214
    UKIP 550

Ugh. Could have been even worse for the SNP.
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Like profilers they are con artists, right sometimes and they spin that into beliefs in their amazing insight.

• Options

dr_spyn said:

Kerching
    They actually did well in the midlands but forgot to campaign in their safe seats...oopps.
This discussion has been closed.