Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB/Polling Matters podcast: Election eve special

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited June 2017

Still, everyone agrees on one thing: the LibDems.

Didn't everyone agree last time the Lib Dems would be 20+?

I recall one punter here had a "brave" bet of Lib Dems 10-19 that failed unexpectedly by being too 'optimistic' for them rather than too pessimistic as expected.

In other words, we could all be wrong.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,957
    midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

Ave_it said:

So:

David Herdson (who I regard as a top level poster on here) is concerned we (CON) won't win Wakefield.

He is correct in this analysis. We won't win Wakefield. But that was always the case. We were never going to win a seat that LAB has held since 1931. But that doesn't justify a projection that we will get 325 max.

JackW and JohnO are top level analysts here. They have both projected a CON maj 100. But that won't happen because again it is dependent on CON winning lots of seats which we haven't won since 1931. That won't happen.

BUT we are 10% clear. We may struggle in London and South although I am feeling more comfortable now. We will do ok in Midlands and North eg will win Wolverhampton SW, Barrow, Chester maybe Copeland. We will also win at least 10 seats in Scotland.

Ave it has always projected a 10% lead and around a 40 maj - it might be slightly better than that.

But, but - what about Bootle?
    I stick to my prediction of a 1979-type result, if you add SNP to Labour.
    Part of me wonders if the voters might deliver some poetic justice, and return May with an almost identical majority to Dave in GE2015.
    Which would be funnier, a majority of

Exactly Dave
    Dave+1
    Dave -1
    All of the above.

I'd have to take back about 500 posts about her superior electoral appeal...
    Chortle.....and the bit about Francis Maude from earlier please?
    Massive fan of him. Also Lord Maude just sounds immense.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
    Been told by an acquaintance that it'll be around 3am before most of the Tory targets will be declared in Scotland - we should have an overall picture by then though, right?
  • Options
    isam said:

The betting has gone massively towards the Tories today

Con maj 1.15 from 1.25
    Nom 9.6 from 6.6

So NOM is more likely than Brexit was at 10pm on June 23rd 2016?
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    A first for me today - leafleting for the Lib Dems in Yardley.

When you vote tomorrow remember our creaking public services and consider if you can rely on them getting even worse. http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1706754
  • Options

stooshie - scots for a row, like a "stramash", methinks.

There's a scale

stooshie < rammy/stairheid rammy < stramash

row < serious row/row with the neighbours < bout of fisticuffs may be involved.

Ah - thanks for the elaboration.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Floater said:

Still, everyone agrees on one thing: the LibDems.

apart from Mark Senior of course.....
    Even Mark had them on only 12.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

Ave_it said:

So:

David Herdson (who I regard as a top level poster on here) is concerned we (CON) won't win Wakefield.

He is correct in this analysis. We won't win Wakefield. But that was always the case. We were never going to win a seat that LAB has held since 1931. But that doesn't justify a projection that we will get 325 max.

JackW and JohnO are top level analysts here. They have both projected a CON maj 100. But that won't happen because again it is dependent on CON winning lots of seats which we haven't won since 1931. That won't happen.

BUT we are 10% clear. We may struggle in London and South although I am feeling more comfortable now. We will do ok in Midlands and North eg will win Wolverhampton SW, Barrow, Chester maybe Copeland. We will also win at least 10 seats in Scotland.

Ave it has always projected a 10% lead and around a 40 maj - it might be slightly better than that.

Actually, I think we will win Wakefield but it will be against trend and it will be down to local factors, both demographic and political.
    David - hope you are right re Wakefield even though I like Mary Creagh

Hope you are wrong re the rest of it (as I am sure you hope too)

Goodnight all!

• Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

Ave_it said:

So:

Part of me wonders if the voters might deliver some poetic justice, and return May with an almost identical majority to Dave in GE2015.

Exactly Dave
    Dave+1
    Dave -1
    All of the above.

Cheers...just spat tea all over my laptop
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651
    edited June 2017
    Two mini anecdotes:

I have two friends in Barrow who are long-term Labour party members and signed Woodcock's nomination papers in 2010. They are both voting Conservative for the first time tomorrow because they won't vote for an "idiot" like Corbyn and, actually, they don't mind May that much.

I like to ask my politically-uninterested husband for the mood in his Essex office for a guide to what "normal" people think. They were all up for Leave in the referendum. And they all think Corbyn would be a disaster.

• Options
    Chris_A said:

When you vote tomorrow remember our creaking public services and consider if you can rely on them getting even worse. /NEJMp1706754

We can definitely rely on that happening.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,030

isam said:

Con maj 1.15 from 1.25
    Nom 9.6 from 6.6

So NOM is more likely than Brexit was at 10pm on June 23rd 2016?
    In the alternate world where the future is known I doubt it, but compare tonight's odds with Brexit 10pm, yes you're right
  • Options

Ultimately it is the judges not the EC that decides, and the law can't be changed retrospectively. And, if the Supreme Court eventually found against the Conservatives, would we not face a rerun of the general election in every marginal constituency up and down the country?

Very unlikely that a party or any individuals would get into trouble for following Electoral Commission guidelines, even if the court decides the guidelines were wrong.
    Indeed isn't the law that the candidate must have knowingly made false representations? Following Electoral Commission guidelines can't be knowingly false.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    I had a big chuckle when I saw that YouGov poll! They've raised the white flag and finally admitted that they were wrong all along. I'm happy with the Tory 102 majority prediction made on here last night seat by seat. Part of me was thinking during the day that it might be more eg the visit to Nottingham South, but visits to Southampton Test and Stoke South make me think I have it about right. Less than 23 hours to find out!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    Chris_A said:

When you vote tomorrow remember our creaking public services and consider if you can rely on them getting even worse. http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1706754

Best of luck in Yardley, Jess looks way too far in front based on national trends to shift though.
  • Options
    LucyJones said:

Two mini anecdotes:

I have two friends in Barrow who are log-term Labour party members and signed Woodcock's nomination papers in 2010. They are both voting Conservative for the first time tomorrow because they won't vote for an "idiot" like Corbyn and, actually, they don't mind May that much.

Well in that they agree with Woodcock entirely, that didn't sway them?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,100

So - YouGov.

Either -

a) full of shit for the past 10 days

b) decided to herd

c) they have picked up on a massive late swing against Corbyn

d) a combo of the above.

I'll take c) for three points, Bob.

The Manchester bomb on the 22nd produced a spike in the lead that lasted by about three days. Coincidentally, there was a four-day gap in the turnout model polls (22-26) so they didn't catch it. The self-reported LTV polls *did* catch it but since they were running lower, it wasn't obvious

The London attack and swingback has produced a similar spike, which the polls have now caught up on, regardless of mode.

I'm working late tonight so will not be able to correspond further til around 2am.
  • Options
    LucyJones said:

Two mini anecdotes:

I have two friends in Barrow who are log-term Labour party members and signed Woodcock's nomination papers in 2010. They are both voting Conservative for the first time tomorrow because they won't vote for an "idiot" like Corbyn and, actually, they don't mind May that much.

I like to ask my politically-uninterested husband for the mood in his Essex office for a guide to what "normal" people think. They were all up for Leave in the referendum. And they all think Corbyn would be a disaster.

BASILDON Bellweather? Con 15, Leave 16...
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Caol Isla is the best for me too, though all Islay whisky is divine.

Bunnahabhain for me. Delicious,
    Not quite right for me, but just poured myself a Bowmore. If I am not up in the morning it is you bastard's fault.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

Ave_it said:

So:

Exactly Dave
    Dave+1
    Dave -1
    All of the above.

Isn't that a Happy Mondays song?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,207
    edited June 2017
    FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

Final Comres swings by region since 2015

NorthEast
    Cons 44
    Lab 41
    LD 9
    Swing 12.5% Labour to Cons

NorthWest
    Cons 42
    Lab 45
    LD 6
    Swing 5.5% Labour to Cons

Yorkshire and Humber
    Cons 46
    Lab 41
    LD 7
    Swing 5.5% Labour to Cons

West Midlands
    Cons 46
    Lab 34
    LD 10
    Swing 1.5% Labour to Cons

East Midlands
    Cons 51
    Lab 35
    LD 3
    Swing 2% Labour to Cons

Wales
    Cons 40
    Lab 38
    LD 5
    Swing 6% Labour to Cons

East
    Cons 51
    Lab 30
    LD 12
    Swing 3% Cons to Labour

London
    Cons 42
    Lab 41
    LD 11
    Swing 4.5% Labour to Cons

South East
    Cons 47
    Lab 29
    LD 13
    Swing 7.5% Cons to Labour

South West
    Cons 49
    Lab 29
    LD 12
    Swing 4.5% Cons to Labour

Scotland
    Cons 27
    Lab 16
    SNP 45
    LD 9
    Swing 8.5% SNP to Tory
    http://www.comresglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Independent_FINAL-VI-and-Political-Poll_7th-June-2017_130392.pdf

Hmm maybe not very positive overall for the Tories. They will do much better in the North of England, but broadly neutral or going backwards​ elsewhere. Bear in mind ComRes is the polling company that rates the Conservatives highest.
    Having just done a back of an envelope calculation those regional Comres swings would give an overall Tory majority of 80, ICM is actually slightly better for the Tories than Comres
  • Options
    LucyJones said:

Two mini anecdotes:

The tactical anti-Corbyn vote :D
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,957
    midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

Ave_it said:

So:

Exactly Dave
    Dave+1
    Dave -1
    All of the above.

Providing you've been following my tips, Mrs May's results should more than cover a new one :)
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    isam said:

Con maj 1.15 from 1.25
    Nom 9.6 from 6.6

Yes. Labour most seats is now firmly 150-199 @ 2.46. 200 - 249 @ 2.76
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Survation are going to get a lot of crap chucked their way now if they suddenly tilt to +4/+5ish......
  • Options
    isam said:

LucyJones said:

Two mini anecdotes:

BASILDON Bellweather? Con 15, Leave 16...
    Brentwood.

• Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    I can't comment on whiskies, i'm a teetotaller so it will be water, cups of tea and maybe some Coke Zero or Pepsi Max tomorrow night for me lol.

But I have the snacks ready, will be watching the TV, checking this place throughout the night both on laptop and then on phone when my battery goes lol and I have also printed of AndyJS's brilliant spreadsheet :)

I have pretty much everything set, i'm slightly nervous only because of recent shock results at elections but quietly confident that May will remain PM just not clear how big the margin will be. Thinking something like by a 50-80 majority right now.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,021
    jonny83 said:

I can't comment on whiskies, i'm a teetotaller so it will be water, cups of tea and maybe some Coke Zero or Pepsi Max tomorrow night for me lol.

But I have the snacks ready, will be watching the TV, checking this place throughout the night both on laptop and then on phone when my battery goes lol and I have also printed of AndyJS's brilliant spreadsheet :)

I have pretty much everything set, i'm slightly nervous only because of recent shock results at elections but quietly confident that May will remain PM just not clear how big the margin will be. Thinking something like by a 50-80 majority right now.

My advice to you - find your laptop charger. :D
  • Options
    Was YouGov the Boon KABOOM?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    RobD said:

Was YouGov the Boon KABOOM?

We have to think so.
  • Options
    isam said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

Ave_it said:

So:

Exactly Dave
    Dave+1
    Dave -1
    All of the above.

Sounds like it should be half man half biscuit....
  • Options
    chrisbchrisb Posts: 101

chrisb said:

chrisb said:

Ave_it said:

So:

On Wakefield, I don't think that's an accurate reflection of DH's post. What he said was:

Just come back from last-minute leafleting. Change of mind on earlier. I think Corbyn is just going to do this. The polls are right. Con 300.

Still think we'll take Wakefield due to Creagh's idiocy/principled stand (delete as preferred) over triggering A50.

Winning Wakefield and losing seats (net) would take some doing.
    Perhaps, but there are particular circumstances in that seat which means the swing there is unlikely to mirror the country as a whole.
    Yes I know Wakefield is a bit special however there are loads of seats with UKIP voters who will move Conservative. So I think it unlikely that many seats will be lost. I do see at least as many gains as losses so I will stick with a 70 to 100 majority.
    It's not just the fact there are lots of kippers in that seat. It's also because Creagh was one of only 9 MPs who represent leave constituencies but who voted against the article 50 bill.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2017
    Nigelb said:

Interesting Matthew Parris bit about May on Newsnight.
    Eric Pickles seriously off message on how bad May is at negotiation.

Very interesting.

If she wins another majority tomorrow, I think we're going to see more spite, more vindictiveness, more secrecy, more reliance on her inside circle & more un-trailed policy surprises.

Oh, and crucially, a thoroughly unsatisfactory brexit.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    YouGov haven't updated their election model using the latest poll. I don't know whether they're intending to.

https://yougov.co.uk/uk-general-election-2017/
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Nigelb said:

hunchman said:

kyf_100 said:

Andrew said:

Alistair said:

I'm not a whisky drinker but I have two miniatures in the pantry: a 10 year old Laphroaig and a 18 year old Glenfiddich. Which one for the exit poll tomorrow?

Glenfiddy is smooth but boring. Laphroaig kicks you in the nuts but leaves you wanting more.
    The 18 year old Glenfiddich is a bit of a disappointment compared to the 15, which is softer and sweeter. It doesn't have a very distinctive character.

If you're not a fan of peated whiskies, the Laphroaig may well knock you off your feet. I've grown to enjoy it over the years but I would recommend adding just a few drops of water.
    I am a lover of the Laphroaig and have been for many, many years. But it is not a Whisky suitable for drinking on all occasions. Late in the evening, after a good meal, it is hard to beat or late on a cold winter's afternoon after a day in the open air. It is not, in my view, an all day whisky; I would not, for example, fill my flask with it when going out for a morning on the local shoot (the Grouse is good enough for those sort of events).

I don't hold with putting water in it either. A separate glass of still mineral water and take them in alternate sips seems the best way to of drinking a fine whisky to me.
    I picked up a £25 bottle of Talisker Skye tonight with £7 knocked off it for tomorrow night. I promptly gave £2 of it back when I walked out of the store to help a driver short on petrol to get back home. Laphroaig is lovely, but my favourite is Caol Isla, the bottle I had was simply divine.
    Ted Heath's favoured tipple, reportedly (Talisker).
    Apologies if I just ruined it...
    You just did! Heath, not withstanding the ongoing investigations by Mike Veale of the Wiltshire Police, was in my opinion easily the worst Tory PM post WW2 (exempting Eden and Suez). Arguably, things may have been different if Iain Macleod hadn't died a few weeks into the Heath government and had served as chancellor throughout rather than Anthony Barber - a fascinating counterfactual I think. And a far more enlightened policy on NI would have helped too.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

LucyJones said:

Two mini anecdotes:

Well in that they agree with Woodcock entirely, that didn't sway them?
    They don't want to risk a "gibbering idiot" as PM (their words).

• Options
    hunchman said:

Nigelb said:

hunchman said:

kyf_100 said:

Andrew said:

Alistair said:

I'm not a whisky drinker but I have two miniatures in the pantry: a 10 year old Laphroaig and a 18 year old Glenfiddich. Which one for the exit poll tomorrow?

Glenfiddy is smooth but boring. Laphroaig kicks you in the nuts but leaves you wanting more.
    The 18 year old Glenfiddich is a bit of a disappointment compared to the 15, which is softer and sweeter. It doesn't have a very distinctive character.

If you're not a fan of peated whiskies, the Laphroaig may well knock you off your feet. I've grown to enjoy it over the years but I would recommend adding just a few drops of water.
    I am a lover of the Laphroaig and have been for many, many years. But it is not a Whisky suitable for drinking on all occasions. Late in the evening, after a good meal, it is hard to beat or late on a cold winter's afternoon after a day in the open air. It is not, in my view, an all day whisky; I would not, for example, fill my flask with it when going out for a morning on the local shoot (the Grouse is good enough for those sort of events).

I don't hold with putting water in it either. A separate glass of still mineral water and take them in alternate sips seems the best way to of drinking a fine whisky to me.
    I picked up a £25 bottle of Talisker Skye tonight with £7 knocked off it for tomorrow night. I promptly gave £2 of it back when I walked out of the store to help a driver short on petrol to get back home. Laphroaig is lovely, but my favourite is Caol Isla, the bottle I had was simply divine.
    You just did! Heath, not withstanding the ongoing investigations by Mike Veale of the Wiltshire Police, was in my opinion easily the worst Tory PM post WW2 (exempting Eden and Suez). Arguably, things may have been different if Iain Macleod hadn't died a few weeks into the Heath government and had served as chancellor throughout rather than Anthony Barber - a fascinating counterfactual I think. And a far more enlightened policy on NI would have helped too.
    I thought the investigation had concluded?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,145
    Any recommendations for a safe constituency I park some of my bank balance for a short term tax free easy return ?

Norwich South Lab 1/4 SkyBet looks good to me.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    What the heck is going on at Survation?
  • Options
    RobCLRobCL Posts: 23
  • Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    edited June 2017
    http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2017/06/07/if-jeremy-corbyn-leads-a-minority-government-he-needs-to-scrap-the-fixed-term-parliament-act/

Interesting to think what a Con opposition response would be, as it couldn't be repealed without them agreeing I think as a 2/3 provision was included? Or is it a simple majority to repeal?

Repealing it was in the Con manifesto IIRC, but leaving Corbyn to tough it out until a no confidence vote rather than give him the freedom to choose a date, would be appealing.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,210
    GIN1138 said:

A massive to herd or not to herd argument?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Diane is just finishing the adding up. She says the lead is 2, I mean 50, no 2 million...
  • Options
    dazzadazza Posts: 28
    Just on Newsnight. Iain Dale going for a CON majority of > 100. Paul Mason going for hung-parliment to CON majority of 30.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    GIN1138 said:

YouGov and Survation tonight have been absolutely unbelievable. And we haven't even got the VI from Survation yet....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,207
    edited June 2017
    Pong said:

Nigelb said:

Very interesting.

If she wins another majority tomorrow, I think we're going to see more spite, more vindictiveness, more secrecy, more reliance on her inside circle & more un-trailed policy surprises.

Depends how you judge a 'satisfactory Brexit' there is a world of difference between the views of hardcore Remainers and Leavers on that, if she does appoint Ben Gummer as Brexit Secretary and move Davis to Foreign Secretary it does at least suggest she will try for a deal
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

A massive to herd or not to herd argument?
    Have to say that was my cynical thought too.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Nigelb said:

Very interesting.

Mr Osborne will be rubbing his hands with glee...
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,145
    RobCL said:
    Am I the only person who loves the Alex cartoons in the Telegraph business section ?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    dazza said:

Just on Newsnight. Iain Dale going for a CON majority of > 100. Paul Mason going for hung-parliment to CON majority of 30.

Nice to see impartial analysis is alive and well.
  • Options
    re Andy's spreadsheet from the previous thread, aren't we expecting many results to be hours earlier this time around?
  • Options
    I wish all Islamic extremists did was commit 'hate crime'

https://twitter.com/standardnews/status/872576410199629825
  • Options
    RobCLRobCL Posts: 23

RobCL said:
    Am I the only person who loves the Alex cartoons in the Telegraph business section ?
    I like them, but there is quite a lot of recycling over time

• Options

Any recommendations for a safe constituency I park some of my bank balance for a short term tax free easy return ?

Judging by the numbers of young remainers there that should be immensely safe for Labour. Anecdotally some green friends on FB now supporting Labour.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

Pong said:

Nigelb said:

Very interesting.

Has he endorsed anybody yet?
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    dazza said:

Well is Paul Mason himself is not expecting any improvement in seats for Jezza then things must be bad. After all he's never been one to downplay expectations.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Been told by an acquaintance that it'll be around 3am before most of the Tory targets will be declared in Scotland - we should have an overall picture by then though, right?

Many Scottish seats declare 2am to 4 am. Edinburgh and Glasgow do centralised counts, so depending on turnout can be 4am to 6am.

Berwickshire, R & S is normally last.
  • Options

hunchman said:

Nigelb said:

hunchman said:

kyf_100 said:

Andrew said:

Alistair said:

I thought the investigation had concluded?
    Operation Conifer is ongoing! Mike Veale was very clever IMHO, he produced this YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtWVtH8AuA4

...as he was coming under pressure from prominent figures. UK Column News highlighted this, and then the video got a lot more views as a result, although I thought it had got more than around 11k views now.
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944
    Chris_A said:

re Andy's spreadsheet from the previous thread, aren't we expecting many results to be hours earlier this time around?

Does anyone know if we can edit it or download a copy etc? (I have copied and pasted it)
  • Options
    Brom said:

dazza said:

Well is Paul Mason himself is not expecting any improvement in seats for Jezza then things must be bad. After all he's never been one to downplay expectations.
    Even YouGov's model was too optimistic for him to believe. It truly will be the most amazing model if proven right when not even partisans believed it.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

kyf_100 said:

Andrew said:

Alistair said:

Tried Caol Ila, Islay, smoother and richer than Laphroaig? Anyway, as someone taught many years ago, and making more money in tips than my wages, working in a bar with over 180 single malts - take your glass of whisky, have a sniff of the bouquet, take a small sip to get the taste, reflect on the mysteries of the universe - now the magic starts, gently pour some slightly chilled water into the whisky until it hazes (no bs, it will do that), it clears in a few seconds, take another sniff and then a sip. You will find that the whisky has now "wakened" (no, I have no idea why it happens, it just does). Repeat. And each time, you will experience slightly different taste sensations and aromas.
    At last, when the glass is empty, you get a refill. After you have considered which of the tastes you enjoyed the most from your first glass, you will probably be tempted to add what you think is the correct amount of water to the whisky. However much or little you add, you will probably be wrong. It would be a great pity to waste the whisky and there is always the next glass to try again.
    After the fifth or sixth glashes of whishkey, you will probably pouring the whisky into the water and who the hell cares anyway....
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Chris_A said:

Probably, because there aren't any local election ballots to separate out.
  • Options

Labour Selly Oak at 4/11 looks very enticing
  • Options

Good choice. 100% Labour hold.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,441
    kle4 said:

midwinter said:

Pong said:

Nigelb said:

Very interesting.

Yes - Theresa May and the conservatives and trashed Corbyn personally and economically
  • Options

Chris_A said:

Does anyone know if we can edit it or download a copy etc? (I have copied and pasted it)
    There should be some options under the file menu to do that.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    isam said:

twitter.com/standardnews/status/872576410199629825

Is it more of the "reported" hate crimes. We get this every time and when justice is served and the stats are done there never turns out to be any statistical significant spike in those crimes.
  • Options

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2017/06/07/if-jeremy-corbyn-leads-a-minority-government-he-needs-to-scrap-the-fixed-term-parliament-act/

Interesting to think what a Con opposition response would be, as it couldn't be repealed without them agreeing I think as a 2/3 provision was included? Or is it a simple majority to repeal?

Repealing it was in the Con manifesto IIRC, but leaving Corbyn to tough it out until a no confidence vote rather than give him the freedom to choose a date, would be appealing.

It could be repealed by an Act of Parliament requiring a simple majority at third reading in both Houses. However, as the FTPA repealed the Septennial Act 1715 - the previous governing act for election timing - then something would have to be put in its place.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,887
    isam said:

Lord Maude vs Judge Fudge? Herp derp.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

midwinter said:

Pong said:

Nigelb said:

Very interesting.

As next leader?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,527
    This Survation poll had better be worth it
  • Options

Chris_A said:

I think you can copy the data into another document. Or I can send you a copy via email.
  • Options

isam said:

twitter.com/standardnews/status/872576410199629825

Is it more of the "reported" hate crimes. We get this every time and when justice is served and the stats are done there never turns out to be any statistical significant spike in those crimes.
    Maybe someone drew a picture of Mohamed. Naughty naughty
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Chris_A said:

Best of luck in Yardley, Jess looks way too far in front based on national trends to shift though.
    Was looking at Hemming's twitter feed today. No better example of 'pavement' politics in action than Yardley and the Lib Dem advance. Jess Phillips high public profile helps, and she's just too far ahead from last time. I think the majority may get cut, but no realistic prospect of a Lib Dem gain. I quite like John Hemming, he's one of the better Lib Dems, particularly his work over child abuse when an MP.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,983
    Paul Mason being unusually measured on Newsnight.
  • Options

When is it due?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Chris_A said:

There should be some options under the file menu to do that.
    There is no file menu I can see.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,545
    AndyJS said:

YouGov haven't updated their election model using the latest poll. I don't know whether they're intending to.

https://yougov.co.uk/uk-general-election-2017/

Airfix make better models :lol:
  • Options

Do you think they will raise the white flag like YouGov?!
  • Options

Well, something has to knock this growing Tory confidence.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    isam said:

Does he class all the terror attacks and foiled terror attacks as hate crimes?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Perhaps he is about to reveal the last few years have just been a Joaquin Phoenix style 'prank' he has been playing on us all.
  • Options
    If Corbyn gets in, then that's Paul Mason on our screens for the next 5 years then....
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,663
    I'm off to bed, I'm not staying up for this Survation.

It's a long day tomorrow.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    RobD said:

When is it due?
    Two hours ago? ;)
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,441
    RobD said:

When is it due?
    It was due at 11.00 but delayed by a 'stramash'
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Chris_A said:

I think you can copy the data into another document. Or I can send you a copy via email.
    Could you email me a copy please? Do you have my email? Also where would someone put in results as they come in? Or are you staying up all night to fill it out?
  • Options
    BOOM

Argyll & Bute CON

You heard it here first

DYOR

• Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    hunchman said:

Do you think they will raise the white flag like YouGov?!
    Sensible option would be +3, since the next lowest is now +4. Gives em some chance of being most accurate, and a 2point move is kinda meaningless on a 1k sample.
  • Options
    prh47bridgeprh47bridge Posts: 441

I do wonder though if the Electoral Commission is overstepping itself. Surely the Conservatives must be sailing very close to the wind. So has the EC's interpretation of electoral law been challenged in court? Ultimately it is the judges not the EC that decides, and the law can't be changed retrospectively. And, if the Supreme Court eventually found against the Conservatives, would we not face a rerun of the general election in every marginal constituency up and down the country?

No they are not overstepping themselves. They are not interpreting electoral law. Under electoral law the Electoral Commission produces a code of practice which sets out what expenses are regarded as the candidate's (i.e. local) expenses. Your sentence beginning ultimately is therefore the wrong way round - it is the EC, not the judges, that decides.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

LucyJones said:

Two mini anecdotes:

I work in an Essex office - I sometimes doubt we are normal though :-)

2 people - 1 of whom generaly votes tory thinks Jezza will be pm - the rest taking piss out of Abbott
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    I thought the Sun front page was bad, but the Guardian front page is damning.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Pulpstar said:

LucyJones said:

Two mini anecdotes:

I work in an Essex office - I sometimes doubt we are normal though :-)

2 people - 1 of whom generaly votes tory thinks Jezza will be pm - the rest taking piss out of Abbott
    Edit - he thinks Jezza will win but voted blue by postal
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

RobCL said:
    You can tell whether someone is commercially astute from their reactions to Alex. Nod and chuckle, business brain. Raise eyebrows, never spent a day in their lives.
  • Options
    Survation - Eye of the Tiger :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btPJPFnesV4
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Perhaps he is about to reveal the last few years have just been a Joaquin Phoenix style 'prank' he has been playing on us all.
    LOL. I always got the sense (watching him during his Newsnight days - I actually can't recall him at C4 but then I don't watch C4 much) that he leaned left. But to this extent? He's written a book (even did an article in The Guardian) about a 'Post-Capitalist' society FGS....
  • Options
    Bobajob_PBBobajob_PB Posts: 928

I'm off to bed, I'm not staying up for this Survation.

It's a long day tomorrow.

The rumpus at Survation not enough drama for you?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Because he knows JCWNBPM
  • Options
    Floater said:

isam said:

Does he class all the terror attacks and foiled terror attacks as hate crimes?
    They're not as serious as that.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

RobCL said:
    I've loved them since they were in the Independent, which I think was back when it started.
This discussion has been closed.