Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New Survation phone poll for GMB sees TMay’s party’s lead down

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,195

rcs1000 said:

My reading as well, though my majority is between 80-120, and I have Clegg holding on and Farron losing

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/871998549621444608

If Farron loses, it will be excellent news for the LibDems. (Assuming that one of Brake, Lamb, or Swinson wins.) Of course, it could be that the young LibDem candidate for Edinburgh West or Fife NE ends up the LibDem leader.
    That forecast by Marriott gives LibDem only 2 seats. Presumably one is Orkney.
    Presumably. I would be surprised if the LibDems don't end up with at least two in Scotland (O&S and Edinburgh West).

Ceredgion should be safe for them too.

But there are no safe English seats for the LibDems. They might end up with none in London, lose Southport, North Norfolk and Westmoreland to the Conservatives, and Leeds NW and Sheffield Hallam to Labour.

That being said... my gut feel is that they'll do markedly better than that.

I think they'll end up with 2-3 London seats. (Twickenham plus one or two of Kingston, Richmond Park and C&W). And then there are a couple of other Scottish seats where Unionist tactical voting will likely see then over the line.

Conservative tactical voting might well save Clegg, and I hope (because I personally like him) than Norman Lamb holds in North Norfolk.

My working assumption is 11 seats for the LDs. But we shall see.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,442

Their lives don't matter to you either, RP. If they did, you wouldn't tolerate Mid-Staffs Dickensian workhouses, and you wouldn't try to shuffle the blame for Iraq off your party and onto bystanders. You'd own them both, you'd condemn them both and you'd want hospital administrators, Labour health secretaries and a Labour prime minister facing charges of corporate manslaughter. You'd demand that they run the same personal risk of imprisonment as a manager of a rail track, or a financial compliance officer, for example.

A wee bit of ah-buttery going on here. Mid Staffs was awful. Its an epic case of horrendous management and budget constraints. So we need less marketisation sucking money from front line NHS which is our policy and the reverse of yours.

And what does Iraq mean to the people I'm talking about? I marched against Iraq. But with a choice of Labour or Tory government both supporting Iraq it didn't sway my vote or the votes of the other millions who reelected Blair in 2005.

So back on topic. Do you personally find it acceptable that this government makes sick and dying people suffer in misery because "we can't afford it"? And if not why not have the Tories do something about it? They can afford to. They chose not to. Why?
  • Options
    Brom said:

rcs1000 said:

My reading as well, though my majority is between 80-120, and I have Clegg holding on and Farron losing

If Farron loses, it will be excellent news for the LibDems. (Assuming that one of Brake, Lamb, or Swinson wins.) Of course, it could be that the young LibDem candidate for Edinburgh West or Fife NE ends up the LibDem leader.
    It seems pretty obvious from Farron's comments and rather strange demeanour throughout this campaign that he knows he is a goner
    Hard to see it, given it's a remain voting seat, he should get a bonus from being party leader and he holds an 11k majority with no UKIP vote to squeeze. I think his local following will see him home.

His comments probably reflect the disappointing National picture for the lib dems and clinging on to his job.
    Not what I have heard from the Tories - they are pretty confident they have got this
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Cyan said:

Cyan said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

nunu said:
    That is very true. Don't want to sound disrespectful but I've heard foodbanks being discussed way more amongst my middle than working class friends.
    What Labour thinks people want to hear and what people actually want to hear are two very different things in my experience.
    I've never understood the left's hatred of food banks. Surely looking after those in society who have very little should be exactly what they support?
    We don't hate foodbanks. We are in favour of a decent standard of living for everybody, and we believe that the spread of voluntary-sector foodbanks assisted by churches and Tesco's public relations department points up the absence of a proper state welfare safety net, and that it also expresses Britain's fairly obvious trend towards becoming a third-world country, in which the filthy rich get even richer and loot everything that's not nailed down. It is a terrible indictment of policymakers in this country that so many must rely on foodbanks. We struggle to end these conditions. While they prevail, we strongly support foodbanks.
    Have just come back from Vancouver and they have a dreadful homeless and foodbank problem rooted in drug abuse.

This is a problem throughout the West and unless drug abuse is resolved it will continue unabated forever
    Food banks were started in this country under a Labour Governement in 2002. There will always be a need for food banks for people who fall between other provision, or whose have significant social problems.
    Not if social conditions can be improved to at least the pre-2002 level.

Demand (in a non-technical sense) existed in 2002, just no supply.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,037
    "Exclusion zones will be set up outside almost all of Tower Hamlet’s 75 polling stations to stop potential voter intimidation.

All leave has been cancelled for Met police working in the borough so that each venue can have an officer stationed outside for Thursday's election. The exclusion zones will extend up to 30 metres."

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/general-election-2017-police-to-guard-polling-stations-in-tower-hamlets-to-stop-voter-intimidation-a3558021.html
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    isam said:

The other day I said no one on my facebook ever mentions politics... I take it back!

Five out of the first eight posts are videos taking the piss out of Diane Abbott, two are about the terror attacks and the other is about thte wearther

Abbott has probably been more toxic for Corbyn than the IRA/Hamas stuff. Bringing her out of her retirement on the This Week sofa was forced on him to a certain extent, but it was a telling error of judgement.
  • Options
    wills66wills66 Posts: 103

rcs1000 said:

I wonder what piece of clothing Paddy Ashdown will offer to consume this time around?

WillS
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    Given the state if the polls I am going to have to vote Tory at the GE for the first time. How do I claim my baby to eat, do I have to mail in photo of my ballot slip?
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    isam said:

The other day I said no one on my facebook ever mentions politics... I take it back!

Five out of the first eight posts are videos taking the piss out of Diane Abbott, two are about the terror attacks and the other is about the weather

One of the posts was this (I got it off twitter)

Cant be today as its pissing down

https://twitter.com/UKlPVoter/status/872037657790042114

I don't want to excuseanything but those knives seemed to be very well wrapped up. Suppose he was a chef and taking them/collecting them for/after sharpening?
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Brom said:

rcs1000 said:

It seems pretty obvious from Farron's comments and rather strange demeanour throughout this campaign that he knows he is a goner
    Hard to see it, given it's a remain voting seat, he should get a bonus from being party leader and he holds an 11k majority with no UKIP vote to squeeze. I think his local following will see him home.

His comments probably reflect the disappointing National picture for the lib dems and clinging on to his job.

It's a 9k majority.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Brom said:

rcs1000 said:

Not what I have heard from the Tories - they are pretty confident they have got this
    Any idea how and why they are so confident? Why are voters turning on the guy who's built up a big personal vote? Is his Brexit denial such a big issue.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Cyan said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:
    "See it through" seems a climbdown from "Strong and Stable". Expect our Brexit to be utterly crap but we will carry on regardless.
    I have to say I have never been amenable to Boris Johnson's charms. Obviously many are. Without that charm, I just see him for the dickhead he really is. A bias, I guess.
    Having him as prime minister would be a disaster. There have been competent and incompetent prime ministers, but I don't recall any who have been moronic, shoot-from-the-mouth, dickheaded lying thugs, in love with themselves like Johnson.

One has to wonder what on earth a man of his ilk is doing in such a position.
    His sister had a similar opinion of Cameron

https://www.theguardian.com/media/mediamonkeyblog/2014/nov/25/rachel-johnson-egg-four-letter-tweet-to-pm

BTW is she a candidate for next Lib Dem leader? They could do worse.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    dr_spyn said:
    good. Concentrationg on majorities of less then 5,000 rather than 10,000.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926

rcs1000 said:

and the only Lib Dem in Wales
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Presumably. I would be surprised if the LibDems don't end up with at least two in Scotland (O&S and Edinburgh West).

But there are no safe English seats for the LibDems. They might end up with none in London, lose Southport, North Norfolk and Westmoreland to the Conservatives, and Leeds NW and Sheffield Hallam to Labour.

I think they'll end up with 2-3 London seats. (Twickenham plus one or two of Kingston, Richmond Park and C&W). And then there are a couple of other Scottish seats where Unionist tactical voting will likely see then over the line.

Conservative tactical voting might well save Clegg, and I hope (because I personally like him) than Norman Lamb holds in North Norfolk.

C&W is dead for yellows. No UKIP standing and I can't see those 7,000 votes going anywhere other than largely Tory.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Cyan said:

Having him as prime minister would be a disaster. There have been competent and incompetent prime ministers, but I don't recall any who have been moronic, shoot-from-the-mouth, dickheaded lying thugs, in love with themselves like Johnson.

One has to wonder what on earth a man of his ilk is doing in such a position.

Corbyn vs. Boris for PM, wouldn't that have been an interesting choice? Like being told you're going to be killed and given a choice of a grim firing squad (Corbyn) or crashing spectacularly at the end of a roller coaster ride (Boris).

I suspect most would choose the latter.

WillS
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    IanB2 said:

Remarkable Osbo spin on an interview where Boris refused to say anything about Tory policy or plans and answered every question with "Corbyn would be dangerous", six times in all!

It's a comedy listen on iPlayer; Boris gets the hump when the interviewer tries to tell him to stop talking about Corbyn, then continued to mention him twice more...

Boris was rather good, skilfully batting off the interviewer's completely shameless attempt to stop him from pointing out the truth about Corbyn and Abbott.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Blue_rog said:

isam said:

Five out of the first eight posts are videos taking the piss out of Diane Abbott, two are about the terror attacks and the other is about the weather

One of the posts was this (I got it off twitter)

Cant be today as its pissing down

https://twitter.com/UKlPVoter/status/872037657790042114

I don't want to excuseanything but those knives seemed to be very well wrapped up. Suppose he was a chef and taking them/collecting them for/after sharpening?
    The implication is the Police dollowed him after he bought them I think. If this turns out to be #fakenews I apologise, it is just an example of what is on my fb at the mo. A quite right wing fb I must say if what I hear about other PBers feed is true!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,187
    JackW said:

Christ, I keep forgetting that Boris is Foreign Secretary.
    Astounding.

You suffering from dementia ?!?!?
    He still has a house so unlikely
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,911
    Pulpstar said:

Think YG are giving their 2015 numbers

There is no chance of Lab making Net Gains from the Tories

Have you reached Killamarsh yet :) ?
    It'll vote Labour but on a crap comparitive turnout to the rest of NED. Dronfield will win it for Rowley I think.
    I am not canvassing in the rain.

Shall i put Mrs Pulpstar as a Labour promise?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,195
    Brom said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

C&W is dead for yellows. No UKIP standing and I can't see those 7,000 votes going anywhere other than largely Tory.
    My assumption had been that it was the LibDem seat that would go blue first in the whole country. But the LibDems are getting increasingly confident on the ground. Make of that what you will.
  • Options
    notme said:

Brom said:

rcs1000 said:

It's a 9k majority.
    Fair play. Either way there won't be many 9k majorities overturned on Thursday IMO. Libs still large odds on in Westmoreland if anyone wants a nibble.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,569
    rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

My assumption had been that it was the LibDem seat that would go blue first in the whole country. But the LibDems are getting increasingly confident on the ground. Make of that what you will.
    Its all fluff and nonsense, just like Hallam in 2015
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Cyan said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:
    This is madness

"The family home of London Bridge terrorist Khuram Butt has been raided in Pakistan as it emerged the killer had worked at Westminster tube station and had access to tunnels under Parliament."
    Tunnels under Parliament, my arse. This is clever Tory PR. Someone knows their archetypes and how to put a "takeaway" into a headline. It smacks of brilliance, even. It plays to the "under the beds" meme, it plays to 17th century English history, it plays to "our institutions".

Meanwhile, I wonder what problems the Gulf crisis will cause in the British banking system in the near future, possibly the very near future.
    I believe there is a tunnel directly from Westminster Tube Station to Parliament. A private entrance, if you like.

So a true, but misleading, statement.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Cyan said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:
    This is madness

"The family home of London Bridge terrorist Khuram Butt has been raided in Pakistan as it emerged the killer had worked at Westminster tube station and had access to tunnels under Parliament."
    Tunnels under Parliament, my arse. This is clever Tory PR. Someone knows their archetypes and how to put a "takeaway" into a headline. It smacks of brilliance, even. It plays to the "under the beds" meme, it plays to 17th century English history, it plays to "our institutions".

Meanwhile, I wonder what problems the Gulf crisis will cause in the British banking system in the near future, possibly the very near future.
    I believe there is a tunnel directly from Westminster Tube Station to Parliament. A private entrance, if you like.

• Options

One of the better ideas we need to conquer Islamism may be a more casual approach to sex. If these young men were getting more they'd have a channel for their spare energy and they might also come to a realisation that as pastimes go it's a bit overrated anyway.

Hmmm... I think I see what you are trying to get at, but I think enough blokes already have a sufficiently casual attitude to sex that I could do without adding another legion or two to the numbers.
    No doubt. I do see it as a real problem for hormonal not-very-bright young men, who are perhaps a bit autistic in the way they aspire to follow an ascetic religion, that they live in a culture in which if they want to see a display of female flesh, they don't have to look far to be outraged or titillated.

If you are a young man on a computer, I suspect it is put in front of you by your computer because it knows you're a young man.

If you're not exposed to this, I imagine it's not that hard to keep the faith. If you are constantly being reminded of what you're missing, you either capitulate and blame the women, or you capitulate and decide your religion had this wrong. Which is easier?
  • Options
    Local newspaper saying its a very close contest in Ceredigion

http://www.cambrian-news.co.uk/article.cfm?id=114749
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Given the state if the polls I am going to have to vote Tory at the GE for the first time. How do I claim my baby to eat, do I have to mail in photo of my ballot slip?

You get a choice of deep fried baby, charcoaled baby or raw baby with seasonal vegetables and chilled baby's brain for desert! Bon Appetite!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,569

IanB2 said:

Remarkable Osbo spin on an interview where Boris refused to say anything about Tory policy or plans and answered every question with "Corbyn would be dangerous", six times in all!

It's a comedy listen on iPlayer; Boris gets the hump when the interviewer tries to tell him to stop talking about Corbyn, then continued to mention him twice more...

Boris was rather good, skilfully batting off the interviewer's completely shameless attempt to stop him from pointing out the truth about Corbyn and Abbott.
    shameless attempt to answering any question about his party's plans, more like. The point about Corbyn didn't need repeating over and over and just made him look boorish.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,895
    It's plausible, though I wouldn't put money on it, that Cable will win Twickenham and Farron will lose Westmorland... which would have interesting consequences for the LD leadership.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Patrick said:

One of the better ideas we need to conquer Islamism may be a more casual approach to sex. If these young men were getting more they'd have a channel for their spare energy and they might also come to a realisation that as pastimes go it's a bit overrated anyway.

Hmmm... I think I see what you are trying to get at, but I think enough blokes already have a sufficiently casual attitude to sex that I could do without adding another legion or two to the numbers.
    Young men the world over are full of hormones, energy and stupid ideas. They need to burn off their frustrations and desires in a societally non-destructive way. Booze, sex, sport, violence of a non-human harming variety, hard work - all are needed. Islam deliberately restricts the booze and sex and is culturally down on hard work. This leaves only violence as the outlet for young Muslim men to blow off with. Islam deliberately directs the violence towards infidels. It's a culture almost perfectly designed to make young men do bad things.
    Even the non-radicalised would benefit hugely from getting royally pissed from time to time and getting their leg over.
    Perhaps my view on this is rather coloured by the fact that, from my perspective, I get to see the leg coming over rather than being the leg-over person.

I never thought about womanhood as a cure for Jihadiism and I am not sure I approve of it. Would it be available on the NHS? Do I need to arrange for another 71 women to be handy? If so, I suspect that most of us would fail one of the widely reported leading criteria....

:rolls eyes:
  • Options
    SandraMSandraM Posts: 206
    Charles said:

Cyan said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:
    This is madness

True. I once had an interview to work on Hansard and I was given directions how to get there straight from the Tube. The man who interviewed me was furious that his secretary had told me about the tunnel.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,025
    edited June 2017
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Labour reducing a 19,096 gap to ~ 2,353 ?!

Are you serious ?

• Options
    Guess who was there...

"Al Muhajiroun held placards reading ‘Palestine is Muslim’. They chanted, “Skud, Skud Israel” and “Gas, gas Tel Aviv”, along with their support for bin Laden. Two would-be suicide posers were dressed in combat fatigues with a ‘bomb’ strapped to their waists. This section accounted for no more than 200-300, but they made a noise far out of proportion to their numbers…"

https://order-order.com/2017/06/06/corbyn-addressed-hundreds-of-al-muhajiroun-members-at-rally/
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Knowing C&W fairly well I always think of it as a typical Tory area. Tom Brake has done very well to hold it over the years but I cannot see the Labour vote shrinking in any London seats and don't see where the Lib Dem votes will come from. Unlike Richmond and Twickenham it's just not a fertile remain area in a Brexit election.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815

No babies. You will however be required to surrender your moral compass to the staff at the polling station before they give you a voting slip. Don't worry though. It's clearly broken and of no use to you any more.

:)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,187
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

Pb Tories should keep an eye on the betting markets today, as the Survation poll might mean bookies lengthen the prices against the Tory landslide they clearly expect.

For the first time I've started nibbling on Tory Maj on Betfair - just under £1k on it at 1.30.

Should enhance the emotions at 10.00pm on Thursday and the exit poll release on the first bong!
    I have a theory about the exit poll -- or at least, I'm thinking of having a theory. To announce the numbers at 10pm, the pollsters must stop counting at (wild guess) 8pm, which means they might miss a late surge. This year there is an unusual factor that might (another wild guess) produce late votes from one section of the community -- Ramadan, if (a third wild guess) it means muslim voters are more likely to vote after sunset rather than vote throughout the day as normal.
    Yes, they usually announce a couple of refinements to the exit poll over the couple of hours after 10pm, as clearly they have to stop collecting data at some point in order to have a first crunch of the numbers done by 21:45 or so.

I think the breaking of the fast is around 21:15 in London, and a few minutes later further north. It could be a very last minute rush to the polls indeed, those fasting would be better to turn up early at 07:00 to cast their vote instead.
    Since when did not eating extend to not voting?
    When did not eating a meal stop you voting
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Brom said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Brake is like a cornered rat though.. he wont give up without an almighty fight on the day.. depends on the resource he can deploy when the lds are fighting all over SW london
  • Options

No doubt. I do see it as a real problem for hormonal not-very-bright young men, who are perhaps a bit autistic in the way they aspire to follow an ascetic religion, that they live in a culture in which if they want to see a display of female flesh, they don't have to look far to be outraged or titillated.

If you are a young man on a computer, I suspect it is put in front of you by your computer because it knows you're a young man.

If you're not exposed to this, I imagine it's not that hard to keep the faith. If you are constantly being reminded of what you're missing, you either capitulate and blame the women, or you capitulate and decide your religion had this wrong. Which is easier?
    Religions throughout history have used reproductive rights both as a reward and a means to control their followers. It is one of the reasons that conservative, orthodox religions are so afraid of women having a voice.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Brom said:

Theresa May is in Wrexham at the moment. All Lab seats outside London with less than 8k majority (and a ukip vote) seem to be in play judging by the on the ground campaigning. There is no panic from the Tories, no throwing the kitchen sink and betting market reflects this.

Other than the 'worst' polls is there any strong evidence for a hung parliament or the Tory seat share going backwards?

Boris doing a big speech on Brexit now does not look good.

Theresa May has tried to win this on her own, and now realises she can't. I hope and pray it's not too late.
    No, the Boris speech is re-enforcement of the core message not panic. Standard marketing/advertising practice.

WillS.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    edited June 2017
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    UKIP and Lib Dem voters must be switching to Labour.

But maybe just in the North and London.

How many Don't Knows? Will many of the DKs end up voting?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    IanB2 said:

shameless attempt to answering any question about his party's plans, more like. The point about Corbyn didn't need repeating over and over and just made him look boorish.

You do know there's an election on, right?
  • Options
    NorthCadbollNorthCadboll Posts: 329
    Just a thought on Scotland and the SCons.

In 2015 434,000 people voted for the SCons on a 71% turnout. At that time Ruth Davidson was relatively unknown. There were only 15 Scon MSPs at Holyrood and 100 councillors across Scotland.

In 2016 525,000 people voted for the SCons on a 56% turnout. By then Ruth Davidson had become well known and the Scons went from 15 to 31 MSPs, held their 3 constituency seats and won 4, coming too close for SNP liking in many more.

Last month 478,000 people voted for the SCon on a 47% turnout, 32,000 more than 2015 even though the turnout was 24% lower. The SCons increased from 112 to 276 Councillors including in areas like the Highlands and Islands where there have been none for over 2 decades.

That means for the past 6 weeks there have been lots more SCon MSPs and Councillors out there campaigning than at any time since 1997.

During the past 6 weeks the GE in Scotland has been portrayed by the SNP and media as a battle between 2 women and 2 parties, Nicola Sturgeon v Ruth Davidson. SCon voters do not tend to do tactical voting. I have been amazed by the number of LibDems I know who have asked me about Struan Mackie who as last year at Holyrood is standing in C,S & ER for the Scons. Struan now has the increased exposure of being one of the 10 new Tory Highland Councillors. I hear and see no evidence of SCon voters going LibDem to beat the SNP. Indeed many are talking up the prospect of Struan overtaking Jamie Stone in 2nd place.

Last week on a newspaper review I heard a former advisor of Alex Salmond say he expects the SCons to do very well on Thursday and in many seats where they were 3rd or 4th to come a good 2nd

On Sunday in the Scottish Mail on Sunday, Tom Harris who had been MP for Glasgow South had a 2 page article on how he was heartbroken. He said he couldn't possibly vote for a Labour Party led by the IRA terrorist supporting Jeremy Corbyn (his words in the article not mine). He made clear he had always thought that the only choice was voting Tory or Labour. He ended the article by saying he could never support an MP who would be part of Jeremy Corbyn's Labour party. He had voted and he was disgusted at the way he had voted. He didnt need to spell it out. He has clearly voted Tory for the first time in his life

Do your own research but remember in last month's locals on 1st preference the largest party was
    Aberdeen: SNP
    Aberdeenshire: SCon
    Angus: SCon
    Argyll: SNP
    Clackmannan: SNP
    Dumfries and Galloway: SCon
    Dundee: SNP
    East Ayrshire: SNP
    East Dunbartionshire: SNP
    East Lothian: SLAB
    East Renfrewhshire: SCon
    Edinburgh: SCon
    Falkirk: SNP
    Fife: SNP
    Glasgow: SNP
    Highland, Western Isles, Orkney and Shetland: Indep
    Inverclyde: SNP
    Midlothian: SNP
    Moray: SCon
    North Ayrshire: SNP
    North Lanarkshire: SNP
    Perthshire: SCon
    Renfrewshire: SNP
    Scottish Borders: SCon
    South Ayrshire: SCon
    South Lanarkshire: SNP
    Stirling: SCon
    West Dunbartonshire: SNP
    West Lothian: SNP

• Options
    Rhubarb said:

Rhubarb said:

Yougov'd again. 4th time of the election (IIRC!).

I hope that you are giving them different answers each time :D
    Broke out the D12.

Interesting supplemental about drone strikes and if I'd give the order.
    I hope you said "Yes. no. Maybe..... errr all of the above

(Keep them guessing) :D
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

how will You Gov excuse themselves on Friday if its a Tory Landslide? surely their reputation will be in tatters?

I note that their seat spread for the 2 major parties continues to widen the closer we get to the election. A 50 seat majority isn't massively far away from the top end of the 95% confidence interval.

WillS.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,835
    wills66 said:

rcs1000 said:

I wonder what piece of clothing Paddy Ashdown will offer to consume this time around?

WillS
    Orkney & Ceredigion - so none in England.
  • Options
    It may well be, certainly if we had no Brexit negotiations it would be.

The Netherlands is running tickety boo without a government.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

Demand (in a non-technical sense) existed in 2002, just no supply.

This is what I don't understand. We should be proud that in response to this demand provision of food banks have spread very quickly. The church I go to has a food bank and I know from talking to other Christians they have supported the movement as it is a simple model that can be used to help the most vulnerable in society, which require little apart from some space for storage and consultations which are normally available to churches. It is also fairly simple to recruit support from the wider community through supermarkets etc.

I am proud of this response by ordinary citizens rather than Government
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    Have we heard from Bunnco - our man on the spot - this election period?
  • Options

UKIP and Lib Dem voters must be switching to Labour.

But maybe just in the North and London.

How many Don't Knows? Will many of the DKs end up voting?

The only places in London where UKIP are even trying are Dagenham & Rainham, and Hornchurch & Upminster. But did they get any votes in 2015 anywhere else anyway?
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    PB Tories: would we rather see Farron or Lucas lose their seat? I'm feeling conflicted here.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Are you serious ?

Are you helping Nick on Thursday or Tories in NE Derbyshire to ensure a May Landslide?
  • Options
    Essexit said:

PB Tories: would we rather see Farron or Lucas lose their seat? I'm feeling conflicted here.

I would assume most would say Farron as that would mean a Tory gain. Lucas has no impact outside of Brighton.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Are you serious ?

Are you helping Nick on Thursday or Tories in NE Derbyshire to ensure a May Landslide?
    I'll get up early and do a round for Nick for my sins. If I can get up early, I'm terrible at that :(
  • Options
    Alice_AforethoughtAlice_Aforethought Posts: 772
    edited June 2017

A wee bit of ah-buttery going on here. Mid Staffs was awful. Its an epic case of horrendous management and budget constraints. So we need less marketisation sucking money from front line NHS which is our policy and the reverse of yours.

But it happened in consequence of 10 years of Labour in charge. Never mind what the policy is; what actually happened when Labour was in charge?

And what does Iraq mean to the people I'm talking about?

It disarms all moral criticism by Labour of its opponents. Mote / beam.

So back on topic. Do you personally find it acceptable that this government makes sick and dying people suffer in misery because "we can't afford it"?

This appears to be the demonstrable outcome regardless of who's in power. So it's not a factor that would affect how I vote.

If you could show that hospitals get better under Labour (for the patients, I mean) you'd have an argument. As it is, we can work towards a balanced budget, or we can be colossally in debt, but the hospitals will in fact be the same. Does that help?

That, incidentally, is why I don't care how many police we have; instead I care about how many crimes there are.
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298
    marke09 said:

Local newspaper saying its a very close contest in Ceredigion

http://www.cambrian-news.co.uk/article.cfm?id=114749

Plaid won 12000 votes in the assmebly election in 2016.
    They probably need to get the same no of votes again to have a chance of winning.
    Their candidate in 2015 (polled 10,300) was a controversial choice, and so if they do poll 12k they should win, as I imagine a lot of the student vote will either have gone home or vote Labour (no student debt) this time.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Are you serious ?

I'll get up early and do a round for Nick for my sins. If I can get up early, I'm terrible at that :(
    Dont tell him you are voting Tory FFS
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,680

NEW THREAD

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,378
    calum said:
    I'm sure they won't be using the latest Yougov in their bar charts.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,377

Cyan said:

I think the London attack is going to be a net negative for the tories, the issues around MI5 and police inaction will, fairly or unfairly, be seen as a governance problem. May has been PM or Home Sec since 2010 and the buck stops with her for these issues in the eyes of the public. I think the Enough is Enough narrative will fail to catch on as it is replaced by anger at why we didn't stop these people before. It won't have a big effect, but it will perhaps stop any consolidation of the security vote for May. People won't be humming the 'enough is enough' line as they go into polling booths.

Standing by my prediction of Tory majority of 50-80, but don't see a new landslide likely, as some on here have since predicted.

Yes, that's exactly how I feel, Paris.

I'm a born and bred Londoner, and have lived here most of my life. It is a tolerant and welcoming City but when moved Londoners are a force of nature. There's a sense of anger and outrage that my normally phlegmatic city dwellers rarely display, and I just do not see it playing to the PM's advantage. The locals are not a wildly political bunch but the fact she was Home Secretary for six years will not have gone unnoticed.

Personally I will be surprised if London does not trend Labour, even against the national trend.
    I think London will be a big labour win
    There is a big swell of support for Labour in London and they'll take Croydon Central. But do you think they may take seats such as Hendon, Harrow East, Enfield Southgate? The next one after that is Finchley & Golders Green - very unlikely.
    I am really at the point that I have no idea
    Mike Freer will get back with a bigger majority.

Labour are fielding a Jewish candidate, but they did that last time in F & GG and it didn't work then. She isn't standing this time and one wonders if that's because the feedback was bad enough then and has got worse since? The JC says 77% of Jews are backing the Conservatives versus 13% for Labour.
    The Jewish Chronicle is about as representative of Jews as the Daily Mail is of Gentiles.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    Patrick said:

Young men the world over are full of hormones, energy and stupid ideas. They need to burn off their frustrations and desires in a societally non-destructive way. Booze, sex, sport, violence of a non-human harming variety, hard work - all are needed. Islam deliberately restricts the booze and sex and is culturally down on hard work. This leaves only violence as the outlet for young Muslim men to blow off with. Islam deliberately directs the violence towards infidels. It's a culture almost perfectly designed to make young men do bad things.
    Even the non-radicalised would benefit hugely from getting royally pissed from time to time and getting their leg over.
    A fair few Muslim men in the vast non-jihadist majority do drink alcohol. And some Arab Muslim young men can hardly be close to a f*nny or a pair of t*ts without grabbing.

The conclusion of your line of argument might fit better if it were that young Muslim women should give their favours away more easily - and that, if they really want to get with the Prevent vibe, they should totally slag out like there was no tomorrow.

Which would be a very offensive conclusion.

Meanwhile, North Africa is full of whorehouses.

I'm about to make a massive generalisation, but I think there is more attachment to western corporate brands among Muslim young men than among non-Muslims. Consumerism is very strong in the Sunni Arab world in particular.

• Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Brom said:

Essexit said:

I would assume most would say Farron as that would mean a Tory gain. Lucas has no impact outside of Brighton.
    Assuming the Greens don't win Bristol West, losing Brighton would be a wipeout though. Also Farron being dethroned is arguably good for the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    isam said:

Guess who was there...

"Al Muhajiroun held placards reading ‘Palestine is Muslim’. They chanted, “Skud, Skud Israel” and “Gas, gas Tel Aviv”, along with their support for bin Laden. Two would-be suicide posers were dressed in combat fatigues with a ‘bomb’ strapped to their waists. This section accounted for no more than 200-300, but they made a noise far out of proportion to their numbers…"

https://order-order.com/2017/06/06/corbyn-addressed-hundreds-of-al-muhajiroun-members-at-rally/

That was years ago and Jeremy was seriously misunderstood. It's got nothing to do with the election onThursday :lol:
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,448

It's plausible, though I wouldn't put money on it, that Cable will win Twickenham and Farron will lose Westmorland... which would have interesting consequences for the LD leadership.

It would surely have very boring consequences for the LD leadership? Lamb gets it unless he loses too, in which case it'd be Cable - despite him being 10 years older than when he decided he was too old to run in 2007 (he will be almost 79 at the next general election, if the next parliament runs its full course).
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359

Rhubarb said:

Rhubarb said:

I hope that you are giving them different answers each time :D
    Broke out the D12.

Interesting supplemental about drone strikes and if I'd give the order.
    I hope you said "Yes. no. Maybe..... errr all of the above

(Keep them guessing) :D
    Alas there was no option for 'Redirect them to people who talk in the cinema'.
  • Options
    Jezza and the suicide bombers is a franchise that rivals Police Academy

• Options
    NorthCadbollNorthCadboll Posts: 329
    I hear nothing to suggest that my old friend and distant cousin Jamie Stone will do anything other than fight for 2nd place. However as Dr Monaghan is deeply unpopular and much loathed already, anything could happen. As I mentioned, last month we elected 2 Tory councillors in the constituency for the 1st time in 20+ years including the Tory candidate.
    rcs1000 said:

NorthCadboll: any views from CS&ER?

SNP hold or LD gain?

• Options

Perhaps my view on this is rather coloured by the fact that, from my perspective, I get to see the leg coming over rather than being the leg-over person.

Need to get out more

>I never thought about womanhood as a cure for Jihadiism and I am not sure I approve of it.

Not womanhood; just the 21st century.

The Islamic heaven they are led to expect looks like a high-end brothel. Endless women. A river of wine.

Google Bernard Fayeur's The Islamic Hereafter for what they expect.

Each time we sleep with a houri we find her virgin. The penis of the Elected never softens. the erection is eternal; the sensation that you feel each time you make love is utterly delicious and out of this world and were you to experience it in this world you would faint. Each Muslim will marry seventy houris, besides the women he married on earth, and all will have appetising vaginas. - 16th century Islamic scholar Al-Suyuti

It's not exactly Holy Living and Holy Dying, is it?

If they focused on earthly cars, Ibiza, girls, and making money, I suspect they'd be in less of a hurry to blow themselves up to get into the great knocking shop in the sky.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,924
    That's very funny. Particularly 'Well he daid know how many homes he owned so it wasn't a complete fail"
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,554
    Has Shadsy seen to some shocking private polling?
  • Options

Need to get out more

>I never thought about womanhood as a cure for Jihadiism and I am not sure I approve of it.

Not womanhood; just the 21st century.

The Islamic heaven they are led to expect looks like a high-end brothel. Endless women. A river of wine.

Google Bernard Fayeur's The Islamic Hereafter for what they expect.

Each time we sleep with a houri we find her virgin. The penis of the Elected never softens. the erection is eternal; the sensation that you feel each time you make love is utterly delicious and out of this world and were you to experience it in this world you would faint. Each Muslim will marry seventy houris, besides the women he married on earth, and all will have appetising vaginas. - 16th century Islamic scholar Al-Suyuti

It's not exactly Holy Living and Holy Dying, is it?

If they focused on earthly cars, Ibiza, girls, and making money, I suspect they'd be in less of a hurry to blow themselves up to get into the great knocking shop in the sky.
    It is all so juvenile....
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/872052477864144896

As @nunu notes the pattern re majorities is worth thinking about.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,554

It would surely have very boring consequences for the LD leadership? Lamb gets it unless he loses too, in which case it'd be Cable - despite him being 10 years older than when he decided he was too old to run in 2007 (he will be almost 79 at the next general election, if the next parliament runs its full course).
    I've bet on Carmicheal being leader, based on him being a lone MP.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,835
    edited June 2017

Just a thought on Scotland and the SCons.

Nigel Marriott Forecast
    Do your own research but remember in last month's locals on 1st preference the largest party was
    Aberdeen: SNP SNP Hold North Con Gain South
    Aberdeenshire: SCon South Con Gain WA&K Con Gain
    Angus: SCon Con Gain
    Argyll: SNP SNP Hold
    Clackmannan: SNP SNP Hold
    Dumfries and Galloway: SCon Con Hold
    Dundee: SNP SNP Hold
    East Ayrshire: SNP SNP Hold
    East Dunbartionshire: SNP SNP Hold
    East Lothian: SLAB SNP Hold
    East Renfrewhshire: SCon Lab Gain
    Edinburgh: SCon: East/SW: SNP Hold North Lab Gain South Lab Hold
    Falkirk: SNP SNP Hold
    Fife: SNP SNP Hold
    Glasgow: SNP SNP Hold
    Highland, Western Isles, Orkney and Shetland: Indep LD Hold
    Inverclyde: SNP SNP Hold
    Midlothian: SNP SNP Hold
    Moray: SCon Con Gain
    North Ayrshire: SNP SNP Hold
    North Lanarkshire: SNP SNP Hold
    Perthshire: SCon SNP Hold
    Renfrewshire: SNP Paisley SNP Hold> East Lab Gain
    Scottish Borders: SCon Con Gain
    South Ayrshire: SCon SNP Hold
    South Lanarkshire: SNP SNP Hold
    Stirling: SCon SNP Hold
    West Dunbartonshire: SNP SNP Hold
    West Lothian: SNP SNP Hold

• Options
    Betfair exchange: 21% probability of Tories losing their majority.

What is on the front page of the Sun today? The same as on their website - mugshots of the three London Bridge terrorists? If so, colour me amazed there's no reference to Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    Theresa May - It's the economy stupid.

You need to point out to people that they can not have free everything provided by the government and everybody else will pay for it.

The 'everybody else' is you.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    Rhubarb said:

Yep me too. Second time for me.
  • Options

I've bet on Carmicheal being leader, based on him being a lone MP.
    Looks like a very wise bet.

Orkney and Shetland always seem to have opinions different from that of the mainland which could rescue Carmichael from the sea of blood for Lib Dems elsewhere.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Brom said:

Essexit said:

Assuming the Greens don't win Bristol West, losing Brighton would be a wipeout though. Also Farron being dethroned is arguably good for the Lib Dems.

Only if Norman Lamb takes over.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Theresa May - It's the economy stupid.

You need to point out to people that they can not have free everything provided by the government and everybody else will pay for it.

The 'everybody else' is you.

What about progressive taxation?

Income tax could be raised for the top 5%. Inheritance tax could be set at 100% on estates worth more than £5million, after a crackdown on "planning" schemes and a ban on the export of capital to prevent the rich running away with their ill-gotten gains. Then it would only be rich parasites who pay for it.

There is no "logical" and "pointing out the facts" argument against a very large-scale and socially progressive redistribution of wealth.

It's the government that permits the inheritance of large fortunes. There's nothing natural about it.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Essexit said:

Brom said:

Essexit said:

Only if Norman Lamb takes over.
    Perhaps he'll be the man to march the troops toward the sound of gunfire.

@Cyan Are you intending to create the Marxists4LePen party ?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,251
    Cyan said:

Cyan said:

Scott_P said:

@jessicaelgot: Johnson says Corbyn had "taken the side of every adversary we have had, from IRA to Hamas." And then almost compares them to EU...

@jessicaelgot: "Of course, I don't mean to compare them to our European friends..." Boris clarifies

Boris Johnson is a moron. Hamas has never been an adversary of Britain.
    Hamas has always spoken out against British involvement in the area and would happily kill British citizens in Israel if they believed it would favour their course.
    You're struggling there.

The only state established by terrorists (fighting against Britain as it happens) in that region is Israel.
    Israel was established as a result of a vote by the United Nations, after Britain gave up its mandate.

The Hamas charter says that they should kill Jews anywhere in the world not just Israel. So they are a threat to British Jews, unless - of course - you don't think we should be concerned about threats to our Jewish citizens.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    isam said:

Did you read the weekly worker article that it was taken from:

"A group of ultra-orthadox religious jews (for whom the state of Israel is a 'blasphemy') waved Palestinian flags from the platform and were praised by the PLO speaker. The rally was also addressed by Labour MPs Jeremy Corbyn and George Galloway, and by union leaders Paul Mackney (Natfhe) and John McFadden (Unison), but there was no speaker who put forward a democratic solution based on the independent working class."

So Jezza shared a platform with ultra orthodox Jews, and the Israeli group Just Peace.

The article describes clearly the Al Mujarhadoon were an unwelcome disruptive group heckled by other elements of the rally.
  • Options
    No, it's simply an advertising promotion to attract new clients.
  • Options
    Did this happen in 2015?

American news network Fox News is due to be blacked out for UK viewers on Thursday.

The channel is currently scheduled to be pulled off air from 5am on Thursday 8th June 2017 due to strict UK broadcasting rules covering Election Day.

Ofcom forbids broadcasters licensed to broadcast in the UK from debating, analysing or discussing election issues until polling stations close, with further restrictions on the publishing of opinion polls until 10pm.

Fox News is known for its alternative approach to news, with opinion and comment from controversial presenters and guests, which has led to previous run-ins with Ofcom for breaching election rules. In the UK, Fox News is distributed on Sky channel 509.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,924

isam said:

Did you read the weekly worker article that it was taken from:

"A group of ultra-orthadox religious jews (for whom the state of Israel is a 'blasphemy') waved Palestinian flags from the platform and were praised by the PLO speaker. The rally was also addressed by Labour MPs Jeremy Corbyn and George Galloway, and by union leaders Paul Mackney (Natfhe) and John McFadden (Unison), but there was no speaker who put forward a democratic solution based on the independent working class."

So Jezza shared a platform with ultra orthodox Jews, and the Israeli group Just Peace.

The article describes clearly the Al Mujarhadoon were an unwelcome disruptive group heckled by other elements of the rally.
    That is what is so loathsome about Guido's blog and those who link to it. Fortunately the worst offender now posts elsewhere.
This discussion has been closed.