Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How the votes moved to UKIP and how they’ve moved away with CO

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,306
    rcs1000 said:

Re Cornwall, it hasn't been such a bad result for the LDs as I had been posting. It looks like they will end up on 35 councillors (36 if you include their dead candidate in Bodmin St Petroc), which is +1 on 2013.

The Conservatives have had the better night, going from 31 to 47, with UKIP being the main losers (-8).

Tories already at 43, with a Con and UKIP seat still to declare, so that may go up to 45!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2017
    Lab hold Durham.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,281
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

The projected national voteshare is Tory 38% Lab 27% LD 18% UKIP 5%. Given a lot of that LD local vote will be a Tory national vote I could see a general election result of Tory 45% Lab 27% LD 11% UKIP 5%

LD 'actual votes cast' were up about 40%, which tallies with your figures; say 11.3-11.5%.
    Yes, looks plausible
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,784
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Re Cornwall, it hasn't been such a bad result for the LDs as I had been posting. It looks like they will end up on 35 councillors (36 if you include their dead candidate in Bodmin St Petroc), which is +1 on 2013.

The Conservatives have had the better night, going from 31 to 47, with UKIP being the main losers (-8).

Tories already at 43, with a Con and UKIP seat still to declare, so that may go up to 45!
    Yes, but the LDs - if you include Bodmin St Petroc - will still have added a seat. It's just the Cons will have done much, much better.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

Sion Simon went to Oxford?

That explains so much.

Well, they gave Diane Abbott a degree, so...
    I assume that's a joke. I'm sure she must have gone to an ex-poly.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Saltire said:

On the face of the results here and the margins involved of the 1st preference votes (SNP only had one person elected from 1st preference votes, the Tories had 1 elected in every ward)combined with the showing in Clacks it is possible that Tasmina is also under pressure as Pete Wishart next month. Indeed the consensus at the count was that if the other parties had put up a 2nd candidate in certain wards the SNP would of been -7 overall and not just -4.

I have seen suggestions she might want to rejoin her old party...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,417
    nunu said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

Final score in Scotland 605 Unionists, 450 Indys.

SLAB only 14 councillors behind the Tories. I think they will be secretly well chuffed with that. SNP clawed back some losses to end 7 down and are the dominant party now in Scottish LG although they don't have a majority on a single Council. Going to make unilateral referendums just a tad problematic.

That vote projected on to Holyrood 2021 would, I presume, produce a weak minority SNP government, and no indyref2.

If TMay decides that Sturgeon can go fish (which I think she will), and if the Nats do weaken further at Holrood, then we might not see another indyref til the late 2020s, 2030s? When the Nats next win a proper majority.

Lots of ifs, though.
    I wonder when the Conservatives last had 8 Glasgow councillors (probably early eighties).
    Eight! they had one last time. Whats interesting is how many seats they gained in poor areas. simillar to results in England where tories are having the biggest swings in working class areas. Working class tories are well and truely a thing once more.
    As Sion says: "we don't share their core Labour values with the strength we should".

And he would know, having presumably been out knocking on doors, unlike the kids in momentum who still think Corbyn is on course to be PM and introduce the Five Year Plan.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,977
    Sion Simon making a prat of himself on Sky, blaming his opponent for good fundraising and his own party for turning off voters.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

felix said:
    The trend is the same, for the SNP, everywhere.

Their last hope for indyref2 any time soon is if Brexit is a monstrous disaster. But even then there might be a desire to huddle together, with their fellow Brits, rather than take even more risk....

Tories on course to win 10 seats from the SNP, possibly.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes, but the LDs - if you include Bodmin St Petroc - will still have added a seat. It's just the Cons will have done much, much better.
    According to my numbers they had 43 at dissolution due to defections or perhaps by elections.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    So the Conservatives won 4 out of 6 Mayoral elections, then. Didn't see that coming.

Corbynism continues to sweep the nation.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,765
    Scott_P said:

And now Scottish Labour will try and ride the Unionist coat-tails...

@kezdugdale: Clearly there's a big backlash against SNP plans for #indyref2 and in large parts of Scotland only Labour can beat the SNP on 8 June (2/2)

Och, don't worry, I'm sure that won't complicate Unionist tactical voting in the slightest.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,070
    Sandpit said:

Sion Simon making a prat of himself on Sky, blaming his opponent for good fundraising and his own party for turning off voters.

Has he blamed the Zionists for the rigged system yet?
  • Options
    And another LD->CON on Cornwall. Two seats left, held by the LD.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Saltire said:

On the face of the results here and the margins involved of the 1st preference votes (SNP only had one person elected from 1st preference votes, the Tories had 1 elected in every ward)combined with the showing in Clacks it is possible that Tasmina is also under pressure as Pete Wishart next month. Indeed the consensus at the count was that if the other parties had put up a 2nd candidate in certain wards the SNP would of been -7 overall and not just -4.

Any news on how many of the the ex Kipper SCon candidates got elected today?
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Can't help feeling if Sion Simon had just had a shave it might have got him over the line.

Scruffy bugger.
  • Options
    TW1R64TW1R64 Posts: 56
    edited May 2017
    Just had Vince Cable and his entourage canvassing in my road. Two of his helpers knocked and asked who i would be supporting and then whether I was for leave or remain. I thought that was a bit blunt so I said "I'm for leave now".
    Oh and of course that I would be voting for Tania!
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

That explains so much.

Don't tell Mr Eagles but she went to Cambridge actually.
  • Options

Och, don't worry, I'm sure that won't complicate Unionist tactical voting in the slightest.

You know, I don't really think it will :smile:
  • Options
    @GuardianAnushka: Lord (Jack) McConnell - former Scottish first minister - warns that its possible Labour decline in Scotland cd hit parts of Wales/England.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101

That explains so much.

Diane Abbott went to Cambridge....
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    AndyJS said:

Trying to follow Sion Simon's argument that the Tories had "spent millions in their areas" to get a higher turnout in Solihull.

but didn't he get hammered in dudley? That's not a tory area, is it?
  • Options
    TW1R64 said:

Just had Vince Cable and his entourage canvassing in my road. Two of his helpers knocked and asked who i would be supporting and then whether I was for leave or remain. I thought that was a bit blunt so I said "I'm for leave now".
    Oh and of course that I would be voting for Tania!

Like! :+1:
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,365
    edited May 2017
    With UKIP on course for zero seats in the GE and losing all their MEPs after Brexit, that UKIP councillor might be their only elected politician by 2019!
  • Options

That explains so much.

Like I said...
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Scott_P said:

Saltire said:

Which of her old parties ?

I mean, she was in both SLAB and SCON before SNP.

A brief perusal of her statements shows that she is highly adaptable & not troubled by consistency.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    Scott_P said:

Saltire said:

...Which one, she has been Labour and Conservative in the past. :D

• Options
    Anorak said:

So the Conservatives won 4 out of 6 Mayoral elections, then. Didn't see that coming.

Corbynism continues to sweep the nation.

George is a genius.
  • Options
    How do you not even get a Third in PPE?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Change in share since GE2015:

Con +3%
    Lab -2%
    LD +7%
    UKIP -8%
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,158

nunu said:
    Now I will take the piss out of Sion Simon as enthusiastically as anyone, but that's just mean.
    The fact that either of them got into Oxford is frankly a mystery.
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    edited May 2017
    Just catching up. I thought I read on the Sky ticker that Con have got WM and Lab lost Glasgow to NOC. Feeling faint. A large glass of something, I think. Ah, better.
  • Options
    nunu said:

AndyJS said:

Trying to follow Sion Simon's argument that the Tories had "spent millions in their areas" to get a higher turnout in Solihull.

It's a divided area, Dudley itself in the north and Stourbridge and Halesowen in the south which is more Tory.
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    Testing. Summat up posting from iPad.

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,464
    edited May 2017

With UKIP on course for zero seats in the GE and losing all their MEPs after Brexit, that UKIP councillor might be their only elected politician by 2019!

If Brexit truly is signed and sealed by then it'd be reminiscent of those Japanese soldiers still fighting the war on remote islands into the 70's.

Seriously though, after this is there not a danger of a nigh on total UKIP vote implosion on June 8th. I mean what the hell is the point in the present circumstance?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    So how would this work? Or is it just in relation to the Welsh Assembly?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/05/welsh-labour-distance-itself-uk-party-corbyn-general-election
  • Options
    Clearly, politics falls into the same camp.

That only leaves economics.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Lib Dems keep the final two seats on Cornwall. Final numbers:

CON 46 :D
    LD 37
    IND 30
    LAB 5
    MK 4
    Vacant 1
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@GuardianAnushka: Lord (Jack) McConnell - former Scottish first minister - warns that its possible Labour decline in Scotland cd hit parts of Wales/England.

No s*** Sherlock.
  • Options

The solitary UKIPper reminds me of the odd SDP councillors that were knocking about until quite recently in Bridlington, somewhere in Wales, and a solitary Green defector (obviously with a GSOH) in Solihull.

Wonder whether a lone UKIP survivor will get a mention on PB in 2042-ish? Or even a Labour or LD survivor the way the wind is blowing just now!

There are still a few Liberal councillors aren't there?
    Yes. They came second (albeit very distant) in Liverpool West Derby in 2001 and just about saved deposit there last time I think (Steve Radford). Had small but relevant clusters there and in Exeter (David Morrish and pals) until recently. Radford is rolling on, Morrish retired a few years back (may have passed but not sure). Their other leading light, ex-MP Michael Meadowcroft, made his peace with the Lib Dems about 10 years ago.
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    Sandpit said:

Well he has a point about his own party turning off voters.
    Labour still in denial about the Corbyn toxicity, "We need more time for people to see and hear Jeremy, then they will change their mind"
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    RobD said:

LD 37
    IND 30
    LAB 5
    MK 4
    Vacant 1

Hang on, I've been busy at work but this is a shocker. We were assured that this was where we were going to see the #LibDemFightback... right?
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,314
    Wasn't Corbyn supposed to sweep Labour to power in Scotland?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Saltire said:

Any news on how many of the the ex Kipper SCon candidates got elected today?
    Rather well it would seem.

https://twitter.com/aitchison_david/status/860511757940469761

Of course I'd forgotten about Braden Northumbrian Party to SLab to SCon Davey!
    Well done on getting elected today son, your heroic consistency will be a boon to the political arena.

• Options

RobD said:

LD 37
    IND 30
    LAB 5
    MK 4
    Vacant 1

Hang on, I've been busy at work but this is a shocker. We were assured that this was where we were going to see the #LibDemFightback... right?
    Somerset down 2, Dorset down 1..... titters
  • Options

In the Momentum dream. Meanwhile, in the real world...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

nunu said:

AndyJS said:

It's a divided area, Dudley itself in the north and Stourbridge and Halesowen in the south which is more Tory.
    I think it's clear from the poor tory showing in GM where the tories put all their resources. Money well spent, they must have had private polling with a chance in Tees Valley.

Also Andy burnham like caroline flint, liz kendall and sadique khan are real street fighters in terms of down and dirty politics and campaigning (apperently).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,683
    SeanT said:

So here are the final scores, on the local election doors. Did any punter get anywhere near this, in terms of prediction?

https://twitter.com/Politico_Daily/status/860535710075334656

I think Mark Senior was close.

Hahahahhahahahahahahaha......
  • Options
    Tories 11/4 in Blyth Valley might be value after today's results in Northumberland.

https://www.betfair.com/sport/politics
  • Options
    Three seats left and we are done
  • Options
    SeanT said:

So here are the final scores, on the local election doors. Did any punter get anywhere near this, in terms of prediction?

Looks like the Tories have done better than any of the experts predicted.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    All results in: GB

Con 1883 +557
    Lab 1137 -385
    Lib Dem 437 -37
    Green 40 +6
    UKIP 1 -141
    Ind 648 -13
    SNP 431 -7
    PC 202 +33
    Other 22 -13
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

That explains so much.

Fenland Poly, you mean?
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    I hope the Tories on here contemplate that without PR for both Scottish councils and Holyrood there would have been no Tory revival north of the border.
  • Options
    Another thought on that tweet: surely Philosophy is the only really interesting part of PPE?
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

I hope the Tories on here contemplate that without PR for both Scottish councils and Holyrood there would have been no Tory revival north of the border.

It'd just take a bit longer ;)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,929
    edited May 2017
    Let us not be complacent. There is a complicated but non-trivial probability that people wanted to give Lab a kicking at the locals to shake them up and warn them that once in government they had better not..that is, they must in future..I mean to say Jeremy Corbyn..

OK. I can't work out what the combination of intent and action would be which signifies a Lab majority on June 8th, but let's just not be complacent about this.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Does Corbyn seriously believe that Labour winning Liverpool is impressive and shows that Labour can win across the whole country?
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

They'd rather not, thank you very much.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    TOPPING said:

Let us not be complacent. There is a complicated but non-trivial probability that people wanted to give Lab a kicking at the locals to shake them up and warn them that once in government they had better not..that is, they must in future..I mean to say Jeremy Corbyn..

OK. I can't work out what the combination of intent and action would be which signifies a Lab majority on June 8th, but let's just not be complacent about this.

The Conservatives could be supremely complacent about this. They're going to win very big indeed.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Con 1883 +557
    Lab 1137 -385
    Lib Dem 437 -37
    Green 40 +6
    UKIP 1 -141
    Ind 648 -13
    SNP 431 -7
    PC 202 +33
    Other 22 -13

Jesus UKIP I mean I know we've been talking about it all day but to see it there so starkly...
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,416
    BBC1 John Piennar:

"Lab MPs with majorities up to 5,000 have told me they have abandoned hope of retaining their seats"
  • Options

Does Corbyn seriously believe that Labour winning Liverpool is impressive and shows that Labour can win across the whole country?

Next he will be citing poor sales of the Sun in Liverpool as evidence that the country isn't going Tory.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

The Conservatives could be supremely complacent about this. They're going to win very big indeed.
    I know every single poster has noted this over the past few months, but when you think of the extraordinary transformation Jezza leaving now would bring about, it makes you weep*.

*joy/sorrow as appropriate.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,486
    A few thoughts:

1) Gedling must be turning into a total shithole - take the 9/4 on a Labour win there with SkyBet.

2) Its a good job Labour are so unpopular or Osborne's metro-mayors would have been nothing more than a job creation scheme for Labour politicians.

3) Labour doing much better in middle class Remain places such as Oxford, Cambridge, Exeter and Norwich than in wwc areas.

4) LibDems losing everywhere - Labour to hold Cambridge 4/1 with SkyBet is good value.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Con 1883 +557
    Lab 1137 -385
    Lib Dem 437 -37
    Green 40 +6
    UKIP 1 -141
    Ind 648 -13
    SNP 431 -7
    PC 202 +33
    Other 22 -13

It's a stunning result for a party in power.
    I don't see how the LDs take comfort from this, unless there successes are concentrated in clumps corresponding to GE seats.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    MikeL said:

BBC1 John Piennar:

"Lab MPs with majorities up to 5,000 have told me they have abandoned hope of retaining their seats"

Would be 52 losses before getting into the higher majorities and likely 120 or so for team ridiculous
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    MikeL said:

BBC1 John Piennar:

About 60 seats.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,404

Con 1883 +557
    Lab 1137 -385
    Lib Dem 437 -37
    Green 40 +6
    UKIP 1 -141
    Ind 648 -13
    SNP 431 -7
    PC 202 +33
    Other 22 -13

I'm still stunned. I mean, I know I was predicting that something like this would happen this morning but I still can't quite believe it. In Staffordshire even the council estates have voted Tory. The only ward in Cannock that hasn't gone blue is Chadsmoor, and that's not the poorest part of it.

In a way, the fact there are some straws for Labour to clutch at makes it even worse. It means Corbyn will survive. If Manchester or Doncaster or Swansea had gone, surely he would have been diagnosed with some illness or other and had to resign (terminal insanity for letting Diane Abbott out again would cover it). Look at these idiots saying Corbyn will still win it. I'd like to know what they're smoking. Plus, many of these are in Wales - in a national election, that may be shaken up as Carwyn Jones can't shield Corbyn for ever.

Theresa May looks set for 400. Labour looks set for annihilation. 22 years to their next victory?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,355
    Mr Sandpit,

"Sion Simon making a prat of himself on Sky, blaming his opponent for good fundraising and his own party for turning off voters."

I was surprised that no one mentioned Simon's comments on the voters' comments. The message wasn't about spend. It sounded much more straightforward. Something along the lines "I've been a Labour voters all my life, but I'm going to sit on my hands this time if that twat Corbyn stays." That explains the higher turnout among Tory voters.

Probably too intellectual for IDS, he really is a thicko.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Chris_A said:

Party poopers, the both of you! :)
  • Options
    I'm sure this has already been pointed out but in Scotland:

SNP lose MSPs
    SNP lose councillors

and soon SNP lose MPs.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

BBC1 John Piennar:

Watching where Labour target their resources in the next couple of weeks is going to be really interesting to watch. From those comments, MPs with less than 5k majority have already been told they're on their own.
  • Options
    CommanderShepardCommanderShepard Posts: 135
    edited May 2017

TOPPING said:

Which for the long term health of democracy is not a good thing. Though Labour only have themselves to blame.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,262

Con 1883 +557
    Lab 1137 -385
    Lib Dem 437 -37
    Green 40 +6
    UKIP 1 -141
    Ind 648 -13
    SNP 431 -7
    PC 202 +33
    Other 22 -13

Wow, just wow.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

BBC1 John Piennar:

Watching where Labour target their resources in the next couple of weeks is going to be really interesting to watch. From those comments, MPs with less than 5k majority have already been told they're on their own.
    You are presuming Team Twat have any idea what they are doing. I think it is pretty clear they haven't got the sort of Messina bod telling them Mr Smith at #27 is best targetted via Facebook ad between 7-9pm.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,404
    MikeL said:

BBC1 John Piennar:

So there are still some optimists left?

12,000 more like it on these results.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    surbiton said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

A reminder of the Rallings Thrasher predictions:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/25/labour-predicted-to-lose-hundreds-of-seats-in-local-elections

"They forecast nets gains of 115 seats for the Tories and 85 for the Lib Dems, and net losses of 75 for Labour and 105 for Ukip."

Good guess on UKIP, but whoah elsewhere

Tories have SO FAR gained 306, the LDs are DOWN by 22, and Labour have lost 141. So far.

So in terms of seats the Tories are doing almost three times better than expected, Labour almost twice as bad.

The 115 , I believe, was for England only.
    Yes, and my figures are also for England only. The Tories have gained 306 in ENGLAND ONLY
    OK. So Fisher got it right then. 450 overall. How does that square with the BBC / Sky / Thrasher GE 2017 projections ? I am puzzled.

Are the Tories winning big in their own areas ?
    Fisher didn't get it right. He predicted 315 Labour losses in England when in fact they only lost 142.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Chris_A said:

Tory proposals for good govt. around the UK:
    PR where it saves them from oblivion; FPTP in elections where it gives 70% of the seats on 45% of the vote.

'Large majorities do not make for good govt.' [from memory]
    The late Francis Pym, before Thatcher sacked him.

18 yrs later Thatcher warned of the dangers of landslides, but she now meant Labour ones.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/news/vote2001/hi/english/talking_point/newsid_1363000/1363792.stm
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    chestnut said:

MikeL said:

BBC1 John Piennar:

About 60 seats.
    On a positive note, there’s plenty of time for them to redraft their CVs for back in civvy street.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Perhaps you'd like to be reminded of Mark Senior's Devon prediction:

Con 37
    LD 15
    Lab 5
    Ind 3

http://vote-2012.proboards.com/thread/8403/devon?page=2

The BBC aren't showing the final Devon results yet - could tell me what they are.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,607

TOPPING said:

Which for the long term health of democracy is not a good thing. Though Labour only have themselves to blame.
    I'd say for the longer term health it may be a better thing, since we may end up with a Lab or replacement party living other than on the moon.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    SeanT said:

Sean, what did Terforten think of the results?
  • Options

Kez has been tweeting that this result shows that only SLab can defeat the SNP at the GE. Bit early to be drinking, surely?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Con 37
    LD 15
    Lab 5
    Ind 3

The BBC aren't showing the final Devon results yet - could tell me what they are.
    Con 42
    LD 7
    Lab 7
    Ind 3
    Grn 1
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,060
    edited May 2017
    ydoethur said:

Con 1883 +557
    Lab 1137 -385
    Lib Dem 437 -37
    Green 40 +6
    UKIP 1 -141
    Ind 648 -13
    SNP 431 -7
    PC 202 +33
    Other 22 -13

I'm still stunned. I mean, I know I was predicting that something like this would happen this morning but I still can't quite believe it. In Staffordshire even the council estates have voted Tory. The only ward in Cannock that hasn't gone blue is Chadsmoor, and that's not the poorest part of it.

In a way, the fact there are some straws for Labour to clutch at makes it even worse. It means Corbyn will survive. If Manchester or Doncaster or Swansea had gone, surely he would have been diagnosed with some illness or other and had to resign (terminal insanity for letting Diane Abbott out again would cover it). Look at these idiots saying Corbyn will still win it. I'd like to know what they're smoking. Plus, many of these are in Wales - in a national election, that may be shaken up as Carwyn Jones can't shield Corbyn for ever.

Theresa May looks set for 400. Labour looks set for annihilation. 22 years to their next victory?
    No, Labour will win in 5 years IF they select a half-decent leader.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited May 2017
    jonny83 said:

Con 1883 +557
    Lab 1137 -385
    Lib Dem 437 -37
    Green 40 +6
    UKIP 1 -141
    Ind 648 -13
    SNP 431 -7
    PC 202 +33
    Other 22 -13

Wow, just wow.
    Con in power, extraordinary result
    Lab didn't shed votes to lib dems. Could be worse
    Lib dems failed to win as many as they needed. Poor
    Green steady and OK
    UKIP haha. Very conclusive!
    SNP. The tide may be receding.
    PC. Must try harder.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Con 1883 +557
    Lab 1137 -385
    Lib Dem 437 -37
    Green 40 +6
    UKIP 1 -141
    Ind 648 -13
    SNP 431 -7
    PC 202 +33
    Other 22 -13

Indeed.

It wasn't catastrophically bad enough for Corbyn to go voluntarily.

And with Labour holding firm in the posh areas, the LibDems flopping badly and UKIP disintegrating the Corbynites will continue to believe what they want.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

BBC1 John Piennar:

You are presuming Team Twat have any idea what they are doing. I think it is pretty clear they haven't got the sort of Messina bod telling them Mr Smith at #27 is best targetted via Facebook ad between 7-9pm.
    LOL true, they don't give the impression of being prepared for the election at all, more interested in their own internal battles than the big one they face against the electorate nationwide on June 8th.

Only five weeks to wait for the landslide, on today's performance @Tissue_Price has got to be in with a good shout of becoming an MP.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    murali_s said:

ydoethur said:

Con 1883 +557
    Lab 1137 -385
    Lib Dem 437 -37
    Green 40 +6
    UKIP 1 -141
    Ind 648 -13
    SNP 431 -7
    PC 202 +33
    Other 22 -13

No, Labour will win in 5 years IF they select a half-decent leader.
    Precisely why they have no chance in 5 years, and probably not even 10. Who is this leader? He/she simply does not exist.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Con 37
    LD 15
    Lab 5
    Ind 3

42/7/7/3/1(Green)
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    ydoethur said:

Con 1883 +557
    Lab 1137 -385
    Lib Dem 437 -37
    Green 40 +6
    UKIP 1 -141
    Ind 648 -13
    SNP 431 -7
    PC 202 +33
    Other 22 -13

I'm incapable of getting too excited about these results (admittedly, this is probably because I'm a natural pessimist more than anything else.)

I've stuck my neck out and already made my prediction: Con 387, Lab 178. I just don't think the bottom is going to drop completely out of the Labour vote, even accounting for the fact that their performance has been abysmal pretty much everywhere outside of Manchester, Liverpool and (parts of) Wales, and in the latter case the local elections are full of independent candidates, and the performance of local Labour councils backed by the Welsh leadership (which is vastly less toxic than that in London) may be a great deal better than what their Parliamentary candidates are capable of achieving.

There are still no shortage of voters for whom Labour (despite Corbyn, or sometimes because of him) is either a positively attractive prospect, or whom continue to vote according to cultural/brand loyalty. Frankly, I don't even feel completely comfortable with forecasting a majority in three figures, although I think about 80-90 at least ought to be a safe bet.

Talk of the Tories topping 400 and Labour getting smashed to smithereens just sounds too good to be true. And when something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Chris_A said:

Tory proposals for good govt. around the UK:
    PR where it saves them from oblivion; FPTP in elections where it gives 70% of the seats on 45% of the vote.

'Large majorities do not make for good govt.' [from memory]
    The late Francis Pym, before Thatcher sacked him.

18 yrs later Thatcher warned of the dangers of landslides, but she now meant Labour ones.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/news/vote2001/hi/english/talking_point/newsid_1363000/1363792.stm
    It wasn't the Tories who created PR devolution ...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Con 1883 +557
    Lab 1137 -385
    Lib Dem 437 -37
    Green 40 +6
    UKIP 1 -141
    Ind 648 -13
    SNP 431 -7
    PC 202 +33
    Other 22 -13

22 years? No. Just over 20 years ago the Tories lost more than half their MPs and were down to their last county council. 10 years later Sion was confident enough to write his now infomous piece on Labour's next victory. Their time will come again and in 10 years time the political landscape will be very different. Will they win in 2022 (or whenever the next election is)? Probably not. In 2027? I wouldn't bet against it. In fact it will be very unhealthy for there not to be a viable government in waiting by then.
  • Options
    Weren't we told that the LibDems were going to gain Cornwall :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/0808d1ce-6a14-4108-ae2f-14df2435133e/cornwall-council

Well at least OGH now knows why May was campaigning there this week.
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618

TOPPING said:

However a new opposition will emerge, nature abhors a vacuum etc. You are correct, Labour have only themselves to blame.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,189

ydoethur said:

Con 1883 +557
    Lab 1137 -385
    Lib Dem 437 -37
    Green 40 +6
    UKIP 1 -141
    Ind 648 -13
    SNP 431 -7
    PC 202 +33
    Other 22 -13

I'm incapable of getting too excited about these results (admittedly, this is probably because I'm a natural pessimist more than anything else.)

I've stuck my neck out and already made my prediction: Con 387, Lab 178. I just don't think the bottom is going to drop completely out of the Labour vote, even accounting for the fact that their performance has been abysmal pretty much everywhere outside of Manchester, Liverpool and (parts of) Wales, and in the latter case the local elections are full of independent candidates, and the performance of local Labour councils backed by the Welsh leadership (which is vastly less toxic than that in London) may be a great deal better than what their Parliamentary candidates are capable of achieving.

There are still no shortage of voters for whom Labour (despite Corbyn, or sometimes because of him) is either a positively attractive prospect, or whom continue to vote according to cultural/brand loyalty. Frankly, I don't even feel completely comfortable with forecasting a majority in three figures, although I think about 80-90 at least ought to be a safe bet.

Talk of the Tories topping 400 and Labour getting smashed to smithereens just sounds too good to be true. And when something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Labour's only hope is that some people decide that May should not be given an entirely blank cheque. Failing that, I'd take the worst case prediction for Labour and lob off a further 10 to 15 seats. Voters actively dislike Corbyn. They will go to the polls to vote against him.

This discussion has been closed.