Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How the votes moved to UKIP and how they’ve moved away with CO

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,950
    Err Dear Jeremy, the general election is in 5 weeks time, not 4 weeks time.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101
    Guide to the PNS results:

10 facts that help explain the national share results

Earlier I posted the BBC’s national share figures, with a note about how they are calculated. (See 2.53pm) Here they are again.

Conservatives: 38%

Labour: 27%

Lib Dems: 18%

Ukip: 5%

Conservative lead: 11 points

Last night Labour sources were saying that these figures would provide the benchmark by which they would judge the elections. They may feel differently today. Here are 10 facts that put the national share figures into perspective.

1 - The Tory PNS figure is the highest it has been in local elections since 2008 (when it was 41%).

2 - The Labour PNS figure is the lowest it has been in local elections since 2010 (when it was 27%).

3 - The Tory PNS lead over Labour is the highest it has been since 2009 (when it was 15 points)

4 - The Lib Dem PNS figure is the highest it has been since 2010 (when it was 26%).

5- The Ukip PNS figure is lower than it has ever been (although the BBC only started producing a national share figure for Ukip in 2013) and it is less than half what it was last year (when it was 12%).

6 - The Tory lead is almost double what local election experts Colin Rallings and Michael Thrasher predicted, on the basis of how parties have been performing in local elections recently.

7 - The PNS figures suggest Labour under Jeremy Corbyn is going backwards (it was on 31% PNS in last year’s local elections).

8 - And the figures suggest the Tories are surging ahead since last year (when they were on 30% PNS).

9 - The Tory lead is bigger than it was at the general election, when the Conservatives got 38% of the GB vote and Labour got 31%.

10 - But the Tory lead is smaller than opinion polls suggest. The Financial Times’ opinion poll tracker, which is based on a time-weighted average of all the main pollster’s most recent polls, currently has the Tories on 46% and Labour on 29%. The PNS figure could be taken as evidence that the polls are overstating the Tory lead, although it is only a reflection of what would happen if people voted across the whole of Britain as they did in the locals. As explained earlier, in general elections some people vote differently, and the 1980s experience suggests the governing party could do even better in a general election.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,281
    edited May 2017

Kin hells bells.

I said last week if Andy Street wins Mrs May is on course for a majority of 150 plus

The Andy Street victory is the best result of all for the Tories, it suggests seats in the West Midlands like Walsall which have not gone Tory since Thatcher won her 100+ majorities in 1983 and 1987 will turn blue in May and she will indeed get her landslide
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,417

Andy Street Yes

And to be fair to him, his name and background probably made the difference.
    Yes, I think 'Joe Bloggs Conservative' wouldn't have done anything like as well as the John Lewis Theresa May candidate.
    https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/860521778334052352
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Corbyn defiant now on sky news. Him not resigning probably the biggest result of day for the Tories..
  • Options

Guide to the PNS results:

10 facts that help explain the national share results

Earlier I posted the BBC’s national share figures, with a note about how they are calculated. (See 2.53pm) Here they are again.

Conservatives: 38%

Labour: 27%

Lib Dems: 18%

Ukip: 5%

Conservative lead: 11 points

Last night Labour sources were saying that these figures would provide the benchmark by which they would judge the elections. They may feel differently today. Here are 10 facts that put the national share figures into perspective.

1 - The Tory PNS figure is the highest it has been in local elections since 2008 (when it was 41%).

2 - The Labour PNS figure is the lowest it has been in local elections since 2010 (when it was 27%).

3 - The Tory PNS lead over Labour is the highest it has been since 2009 (when it was 15 points)

4 - The Lib Dem PNS figure is the highest it has been since 2010 (when it was 26%).

5- The Ukip PNS figure is lower than it has ever been (although the BBC only started producing a national share figure for Ukip in 2013) and it is less than half what it was last year (when it was 12%).

6 - The Tory lead is almost double what local election experts Colin Rallings and Michael Thrasher predicted, on the basis of how parties have been performing in local elections recently.

7 - The PNS figures suggest Labour under Jeremy Corbyn is going backwards (it was on 31% PNS in last year’s local elections).

8 - And the figures suggest the Tories are surging ahead since last year (when they were on 30% PNS).

9 - The Tory lead is bigger than it was at the general election, when the Conservatives got 38% of the GB vote and Labour got 31%.

10 - But the Tory lead is smaller than opinion polls suggest. The Financial Times’ opinion poll tracker, which is based on a time-weighted average of all the main pollster’s most recent polls, currently has the Tories on 46% and Labour on 29%. The PNS figure could be taken as evidence that the polls are overstating the Tory lead, although it is only a reflection of what would happen if people voted across the whole of Britain as they did in the locals. As explained earlier, in general elections some people vote differently, and the 1980s experience suggests the governing party could do even better in a general election.

Well, as someone said earlier: wait until Corbyn for PM is actually on the ballot paper in June.
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359

Err Dear Jeremy, the general election is in 5 weeks time, not 4 weeks time.

Vote early, vote often.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,081
    Shortly there will be an election, in which Sion Simon will win the West Midlands Mayoralty.
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    Dear God, it is like some weird form of psychosis. These people actually believe this?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Aberdeen Coucil has been a bloodbath for Labour, half their councillors lost. One ward went from Labx2 SNPx1 to SNPx2, Indx1
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,306
    44 seats to go!
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Chameleon said:

Sion Simon looks like he's about to cry. My heart goes out to him, not.

I would cry to if I was so close yet so far!

But we don't need his type of politician, we have enough. i.e. someone who waves the st.george flag after brexit but also holds segregated meetings based on sex.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,080
    Final score in Scotland 605 Unionists, 450 Indys.

SLAB only 14 councillors behind the Tories. I think they will be secretly well chuffed with that. SNP clawed back some losses to end 7 down and are the dominant party now in Scottish LG although they don't have a majority on a single Council. Going to make unilateral referendums just a tad problematic.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    AndyJS said:

52% in WM voted Lab, LD, Green, Comm in the first round. Same sort of thing as Bristol.

So, if local govt was elected by PR - IMO it should be - they'd have a rainbow coalition with a narrow majority.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Alistair said:

h ttps://twitter.com/helenlewis/status/860499738831065088

Surely it is time for another "Downfall" parody?
  • Options
    Are there now more pandas in England than UKIP councillors?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Again if the Tory lead is almost double what Rallings and Thrasher predicted ... and based on this result Rallings and Thrasher are now predicting a rather modest Tory majority ... just what would Rallings and Thrasher have been predicting for Parliament had they been right on today's results?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,425
    DavidL said:

SLAB only 14 councillors behind the Tories. I think they will be secretly well chuffed with that. SNP clawed back some losses to end 7 down and are the dominant party now in Scottish LG although they don't have a majority on a single Council. Going to make unilateral referendums just a tad problematic.

I'll come back to that analysis when Ive stopped laughing :-)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

tipping point

chortle
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,977

Sandpit said:

Awesome news for the West Midlands, exactly the sort of person we should be encouraging into politics. Well done to Andy and all that worked to get him elected over the past six months.

And up against exactly the person who shouldn't be.
    Indeed. If you're going to have regional mayors, they should be big local personalities who can influence the local agenda and get people from outside interested in their area. Think what Boris and Ken did for London.

Putting a soon-to-be-redundant MEP and career politician up against one of the best business leaders in the country was never going to work, although the Labour brand got Sion Simon to within 3,800 votes in half a million.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,081

Alistair said:

,,Das war ein Befehl! Der Angriff-Sion-Simons war ein Befehl!"
  • Options
    Shortly there will be a post on PoliticalBetting about the West Midlands mayoralty, in which the poster will begin with words other than "shortly there will be..."
  • Options

dunno

but there are more pandas in Scotlnd than SNP run councils
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,786
    edited May 2017
    Just on Cambridge (while we're there).
    Labour 20,279
    LD 16,257
    Con 10,266
    Green 9,675

Labour 12,989
    LD 13,570
    Con 5,408
    Green 3,005
    I think that points to a narrow LD win there.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    BBC - Welsh council ticker:

Lab -107
    PC +33
    Con +80
    LD -11
    Ukip -2
    Green +1
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    DavidL said:

Well, I was right about what would happen to SCon and wrong about what would happen with SNP and SLab, I thought 50 seats swappage between SNP and SLab more than what happened.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The West Midlands mayoralty puts the seal on what has been a spectacular set of results for the Conservatives. They're on course for a huge three figure majority.

Commiserations to @Pulpstar for what was a value loser tip of Sion Simon.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,467
    IanB2 said:

UKIP zero seats now 1/33 BF.

The 1/5 and better we could get up to this morning must be the safest bet for June 8th...

1.14 still available at Coral.

they also have labour to win more votes than LD at 1.08.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,416
    murali_s said:

No point putting any spin on this, today has been a disaster for Labour.

Tory 120+ majority pretty much nailed on all things being equal.

Tory electoral fraud scandal only hope for Labour.

Yes - I think the only thing that could go wrong now for Con is the CPS.

If I were them I would try to stall the CPS announcement until after the GE - could they argue it would be wrong to make announcement during campaign?

If not, they should be working very hard right now on exactly how to manage the media reaction if CPS announces charges.
  • Options
    JamesLJamesL Posts: 6
    Having been a political anorak for about 50 years - my expectation is that today's results indicate that Labour will get less than 150 seats and the Tories are likely to be well over 400. I also think the SNP could get around 40. One should not forget the Tory media are yet to really set their sights on Corbyn. It will only get worse from here
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,768

Time for a UKIP leadership election?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,765
    DavidL said:

The Ruth Davidson party could only get 14 seats more than SLab?! There has to have been a mistake somewhere surely...
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,181
    Sion Simon on BBC News now for anyone who wants some delicious schadenfreude.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,281
    The projected national voteshare is Tory 38% Lab 27% LD 18% UKIP 5%. Given a lot of that LD local vote will be a Tory national vote I could see a general election result of Tory 45% Lab 27% LD 11% UKIP 5%
  • Options

Alistair said:

I think the article may be the Downfall parody we are waiting for. It includes classic lines:

"Unprecedented numbers are heading to the doorstep all over the country."

"Labour’s army of campaigners"
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    What a dreadful oaf Sion Simon is. God, it's no wonder he lost.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

The West Midlands mayoralty puts the seal on what has been a spectacular set of results for the Conservatives. They're on course for a huge three figure majority.

Indeed.

There was no justification for his odds being above evens.

Respect to @pulpstar for seeing clearly through the fog.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

murali_s said:

If I were them I would try to stall the CPS announcement until after the GE - could they argue it would be wrong to make announcement during campaign?

If not, they should be working very hard right now on exactly how to manage the media reaction if CPS announces charges.
    And the deadlines for charges are set by when the expenses were initially declared - so any day now as the election was on the 7th of May 2015.
  • Options
    It seems Liverpool may be the Labour equivalent of Berlin. Corbyn hunkering down in the city and telling country it can learn from the way the city votes.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The projected national voteshare is Tory 38% Lab 27% LD 18% UKIP 5%. Given a lot of that LD local vote will be a Tory national vote I could see a general election result of Tory 45% Lab 27% LD 11% UKIP 5%

LD 'actual votes cast' were up about 40%, which tallies with your figures; say 11.3-11.5%.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Why doesn't he just say that then. Blame Corbyn.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,312

No worries. If all tips win then you're not making enough. The 7-4 was still wrong I believe
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    HYUFD said:

Very likely.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Alistair said:

,,Das war ein Befehl! Der Angriff-Sion-Simons war ein Befehl!"
    Err.....

• Options
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

That vote projected on to Holyrood 2021 would, I presume, produce a weak minority SNP government, and no indyref2.

If TMay decides that Sturgeon can go fish (which I think she will), and if the Nats do weaken further at Holrood, then we might not see another indyref til the late 2020s, 2030s? When the Nats next win a proper majority.

Lots of ifs, though.
    The next time the Scots have another independence referendum will be when oil is north of $150. Which might be... errr... never.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411

That's a rather dismal result for the SNP.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,128

DavidL said:

The Ruth Davidson party could only get 14 seats more than SLab?! There has to have been a mistake somewhere surely...
    Is that all you got? Weak, weak, weak...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,191
    HYUFD said:

I think Labour will drop to or below 25% in the general...
  • Options

I doubt there would be another candidate.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,600
    rcs1000 said:

The next time the Scots have another independence referendum will be when oil is north of $150. Which might be... errr... never.

Is there anything short of perhaps a major Middle East war that would send oil prices shooting up again, or have renewables and shale permanently changed the picture?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    The SNP are spinning the results as a triumph...

https://twitter.com/thesnp/status/860528352859480065
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Scottish councils - final result

SNP 431 (-7)
    CON 276 (+164)
    LAB 262 (-133)

With all the councils now declared Labour end in 3rd Place
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,080
    Alistair said:

DavidL said:

Well, I was right about what would happen to SCon and wrong about what would happen with SNP and SLab, I thought 50 seats swappage between SNP and SLab more than what happened.
    I think I predicted 200 gains for the Tories but that was because I was expecting the SLAB vote to fold more than it did. And as a Unionist I am perfectly ok with that.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

murali_s said:

And the deadlines for charges are set by when the expenses were initially declared - so any day now as the election was on the 7th of May 2015.
    No it's two years from the date of when the MPs submitted their expenses returns.

They have, I believe, up to 5 weeks from election day to submit their return.

Some filed pretty quickly, some did it within a fortnight, and some waited until the last minute.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

That vote projected on to Holyrood 2021 would, I presume, produce a weak minority SNP government, and no indyref2.

If TMay decides that Sturgeon can go fish (which I think she will), and if the Nats do weaken further at Holrood, then we might not see another indyref til the late 2020s, 2030s? When the Nats next win a proper majority.

Lots of ifs, though.
    So possibly in a generation?
  • Options
    Another CON gain from the LDs in Cornwall. :D
  • Options
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

Lots of ifs, though.
    I wonder when the Conservatives last had 8 Glasgow councillors (probably early eighties).
  • Options
    The solitary UKIPper reminds me of the odd SDP councillors that were knocking about until quite recently in Bridlington, somewhere in Wales, and a solitary Green defector (obviously with a GSOH) in Solihull.

Wonder whether a lone UKIP survivor will get a mention on PB in 2042-ish? Or even a Labour or LD survivor the way the wind is blowing just now!
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

murali_s said:

I would advise the Tories to stay a million miles away from interfering with the CPS. Imagine what would happen if the CPS said they had been leant on over the timing of an announcement. It would be worse than the decision itself. The Tories have had plenty of time to ready themselves for bad news, and even if it does come to that, it won't make any difference to the outcome of the election.
  • Options
    Hmmmm

@JeremyCliffe: Hunch: the Street and Burnham elections will see the locus of Britain's metropolitan revival shift from Manchester to Birmingham.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Kellner - money makes very little difference.

And in my view campaigning makes very little difference either.

Why is it that turnout is never significantly higher in marginals (as a whole) - yet that is where all the campaigning is focussed.
  • Options

RobD said:

MikeL said:

murali_s said:

No it's two years from the date of when the MPs submitted their expenses returns.

They have, I believe, up to 5 weeks from election day to submit their return.

Some filed pretty quickly, some did it within a fortnight, and some waited until the last minute.
    The CPS don't need to wait right until the deadline before announcing it (although I am sure they wouldn't do it on election day itself!)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,977
    MikeL said:

murali_s said:

Managing the media reaction is easy - they can say very little except that person X has been charged with offence Y, then legally they have to shut up. The story will be chip paper the following day.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

The solitary UKIPper reminds me of the odd SDP councillors that were knocking about until quite recently in Bridlington, somewhere in Wales, and a solitary Green defector (obviously with a GSOH) in Solihull.

Wonder whether a lone UKIP survivor will get a mention on PB in 2042-ish? Or even a Labour or LD survivor the way the wind is blowing just now!

There are still a few Liberal councillors aren't there?
  • Options
    Moray Council

2012 (estimated due to boundary change): SNP 10, Ind 10, Con 3, Lab 3

2017: SNP 9, Ind 8, Con 8, Lab 1

Operation "Get Robertson" in full swing.

In other news: Conservative win confirmed for Cambs & P'boro mayor
  • Options
    RobD said:

I'm sorry, but you must be mistaken.

• Options
    Jason said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

murali_s said:

I would advise the Tories to stay a million miles away from interfering with the CPS. Imagine what would happen if the CPS said they had been leant on over the timing of an announcement. It would be worse than the decision itself. The Tories have had plenty of time to ready themselves for bad news, and even if it does come to that, it won't make any difference to the outcome of the election.
    Yeah, in no way was I suggesting they should do that! They should absolutely do nothing of the sort :o
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    P&l from the mayoralties

Street -15
    Rotheram + 30
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,683
    Jason said:

What a dreadful oaf Sion Simon is. God, it's no wonder he lost.

Agreed. It would have been a huge slap in the face to the West Midlands if he had squeaked it. As it is, the region now has a hugely successful business champion behind it. Who was prepared to put a big chunk of his own money into getting the job. Exactly what the West Midlands needs.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,162
    Mr. L, welcome to pb.com.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    nunu said:
    Now I will take the piss out of Sion Simon as enthusiastically as anyone, but that's just mean.
  • Options

I doubt there would be another candidate.
    Shame, they were so much fun.
    How about their one councillor, obviously a winner?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

I'm sorry, but you must be mistaken.

Another CON gain from LDs in Cornwall... :D:p

Now Con +16.
  • Options
    Sion Simon went to Oxford?

That explains so much.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

nunu said:
    Now I will take the piss out of Sion Simon as enthusiastically as anyone, but that's just mean.
    yeah...i did stupid things like that at 21....heck I still do!
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

Given that the UKIP MEPs will be out of a job when we leave, how many elected UKIP people are left? I assume there are lots in district councils, London and the Welsh assembly.
  • Options
    Jason said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

murali_s said:

Yes - fair enough (it was my suggestion, not Rob's).
  • Options

They lost 3 last night according to BBC data.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,071

nunu said:
    But totally believable....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The SNP are spinning the results as a triumph...

https://twitter.com/thesnp/status/860528352859480065

It's a minor defeat:

SNP 431 (-7)
    CON 276 (+164)
    LAB 262 (-133)
  • Options

Sion Simon went to Oxford?

That explains so much.

Well, they gave Diane Abbott a degree, so...
  • Options
    Ukip got 502 votes in my (massive) ward. (Highest kipper)
    Wonder what will happen to those next time
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Re Cornwall, it hasn't been such a bad result for the LDs as I had been posting. It looks like they will end up on 35 councillors (36 if you include their dead candidate in Bodmin St Petroc), which is +1 on 2013.

The Conservatives have had the better night, going from 31 to 47, with UKIP being the main losers (-8).
  • Options

I even have a special column for them in my spreadsheet. There were two in North Yorkshire (lost to Con) and one in Worcestershire (lost to the fake liberals)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Trying to follow Sion Simon's argument that the Tories had "spent millions in their areas" to get a higher turnout in Solihull.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Scottish councils - final result

SNP 431 (-7)
    CON 276 (+164)
    LAB 262 (-133)

With all the councils now declared Labour end in 3rd Place

A devolved Scottish government - Was this Blair’s plan all along..?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    That's now three LD->CON in as many minutes in Cornwall :D
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

Lots of ifs, though.
    I wonder when the Conservatives last had 8 Glasgow councillors (probably early eighties).
    Eight! they had one last time. Whats interesting is how many seats they gained in poor areas. simillar to results in England where tories are having the biggest swings in working class areas. Working class tories are well and truely a thing once more.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,018
    Scott_P said:

Hmmmm

@JeremyCliffe: Hunch: the Street and Burnham elections will see the locus of Britain's metropolitan revival shift from Manchester to Birmingham.

Burnham will presumably vacillate so much that it will be the only option?
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    Alistair said:

I'll be interested to see where and how the SNP seats were lost.

In Perth and Kinross the SNP actually gained 3 in Perth itself whilst losing 7 in the 8 more rural wards. (Including one to Labour bizarrely).
    On the face of the results here and the margins involved of the 1st preference votes (SNP only had one person elected from 1st preference votes, the Tories had 1 elected in every ward)combined with the showing in Clacks it is possible that Tasmina is also under pressure as Pete Wishart next month. Indeed the consensus at the count was that if the other parties had put up a 2nd candidate in certain wards the SNP would of been -7 overall and not just -4.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I even have a special column for them in my spreadsheet. There were two in North Yorkshire (lost to Con) and one in Worcestershire (lost to the fake liberals)
    They used to have a hard core of seats in West Yorks iirc.
  • Options
    And now Scottish Labour will try and ride the Unionist coat-tails...

@kezdugdale: Clearly there's a big backlash against SNP plans for #indyref2 and in large parts of Scotland only Labour can beat the SNP on 8 June (2/2)
This discussion has been closed.