Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why I’m betting that it’ll be next July at the earliest bef

Comments

• Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926

Mike Dammann
    @firetown

Turkish intel agency spokesman says the coup attempt is almost being suppressed, it will be all over until morning
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    Two "presumably" military jets flying over the sky reporter.

Whose else could they be? :D
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,135

kle4 said:

Horrible and chaotic though such events can be, I have a strange interest in seeing how the headlines change, from subtle to extreme. A few minutes ago the BBC main page had a story about Turkey PM decrying 'illegal action' or something along those lines, now it's army group 'takes control of turkey'.

To be fair to the beeb it seems everyone is choosing their words carefully.
    Oh, changing descriptions in fast moving events is perfectly justified. don't get me wrong, as is cautious wording. It's funniest on nakedly political things though, like 'wields spending cuts axe' becoming 'unveils austerity measures' or something.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339

Why did Sky get rid of Tim Marshall? He was an brilliant when it came to breaking news like this.

Also, I bet Joey Jones is well pissed. Only just got his sat down at his desk spinning for Osborne and I presume he will get the chop like his boss.

Joey Jones was/is working for Theresa May
    You are right. I have no idea why I thought he was spinning for Osborne. Well he has hit the golden lotto ticket there.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    Advice for tourists, head for the cash machines.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    MarcKlein said:
    I wish people knew how to spell fazed these days. Standards are slipping.
  • Options

Why did Sky get rid of Tim Marshall? He was an brilliant when it came to breaking news like this.

Also, I bet Joey Jones is well pissed. Only just got his sat down at his desk spinning for Osborne and I presume he will get the chop like his boss.

Tim is very good. problem for Sky is AFAIK they are running a £20m cost and dont have the BBC resources.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    edited July 2016
    marke09 said:

Mike Dammann
    @firetown

Turkish intel agency spokesman says the coup attempt is almost being suppressed, it will be all over until morning

Erdogan's brother runs or ran the Turkish intelligence agency, it may not e a trustworthy source.
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Mike Dammann
    @firetown

Intel - they will have had their chips then.
    groan.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

He's still doing the business on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/itwitius?lang=en-gb

https://twitter.com/Itwitius/status/754046832452468736?lang=en-gb
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339
    marke09 said:

Mike Dammann
    @firetown

Who is that guy? And why should we take any notice of him?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I think this is going to be a success. It looks like they have control of the airports.
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Mike Dammann
    @firetown

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/yfAeMtcURg0/hqdefault.jpg
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I think this is going to be a success.

Brexit will be. Have faith.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    FWIW given Turkey's military capabilities and geographical location I would be shocked if US/UK/France or Russia were not involved in aiding the coup.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

RobD said:

WHY is it not the top story on the BBC?

Because Britain (well America) might be behind it ?
    That sort of thinking usually depends on other countries being depicted as having no power, influence or motivations of their own, dependent entirely on dancing to western strings. Now, perhaps there is something going on here, we shall see, but I bet they wish they still had that kind of pull.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I think this is going to be a success. It looks like they have control of the airports.

Has it been confirmed Erdogan is out of the country?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

marke09 said:

Mike Dammann
    @firetown

Erdogan's brother runs or ran the Turkish intelligence agency, it may not e a trustworthy source.
    thanks
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,131
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

In Bodrum supposedly...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,954
    edited July 2016
    How long before we send Boris and Dr Fox over to do a trade deal with the Junta? :smiley:
  • Options
    A pity Erdogan is probably going to spend the rest of his days in a tawdry Saudi Arabian mansion rather than a Turkish jail.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,209
    This week they've changed the access policy in the work wifi to specifically disallow betting sites, so I can't connect my lappy to this site in work hours, Arse. It's probably Brexit... :)

Anyhoo, my access is restricted and suddenly the news goes nonlinear. Multiple terrorist attacks in France, military coup in Turkey, Plissken flying the Gulf-fire into Leningrad. If I don't log in tomorrow, the news will involve the phrase "you now have two minutes to reach minimum safe distance"
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,048
    edited July 2016
    Note the zero support for Erdogan in Kerry's and Lavarov's statements so far ?
  • Options
    Yay! — Tim Marshall on Sky News.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited July 2016
    Chameleon said:

FWIW given Turkey's military capabilities and geographical location I would be shocked if US/UK/France or Russia were not involved in aiding the coup.

Wut? Turkey has an army three times larger than the UK, and larger than the UK, US (Europe) and French forces combined. They don't need us. If they want to they can put close to a million men into the field.
  • Options
    "Martial law has been imposed" and it will be a "Peace Council" running the country.
  • Options
    The Sky analyst saying it looks like a success as well.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    John Kerry very neutral there, not even pretending to sound concerned. Erdogan has basically zero allies in the international arena. He's disliked by everyone in Europe, Russia, and the US. His only allies are Israel and Saudi Arabia at the moment I guess?

I'm not normally one for conspiracies but this seems like a coup that will be very quickly approved by the international community if it succeeds (and they wouldn't launch it if they weren't likely to succeed)
  • Options
    Sky News now interviewing Tim Marshall! I bet they wish they'd never let him go.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

That sort of thinking usually depends on other countries being depicted as having no power, influence or motivations of their own, dependent entirely on dancing to western strings. Now, perhaps there is something going on here, we shall see, but I bet they wish they still had that kind of pull.
    Given's Turkey's capabilities and geographical location it'd be pretty negligent if the CIA/SIS didn't at the very least know about this coup attempt.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

Turkey about to join EU? Utter bollx from Leave. Now exposed in a terrible way

A secular military coup probably moves them a step closer tbh.
    Crap. If this had happened during our own EU vote campaign the whole idea that Turkey was "about to join" would have been blown out of the water.
    That shows how very little you understand about Turkish Politics...
    I'm talking about UK politics. Nobody would have believed Turkey was about the join the EU if it was in the middle of a coup.
    It's still unlikely, I said it as well. Though if this a secular coup it is probably more likely. I'd venture that Brexit may have been one of the triggers.
    A very minor one, surely. What makes you think Brexit might have had any influence?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Turkey takes Al Jazeera off the air. Well that's a relief. ;)
    https://twitter.com/AJENews/status/754060744677847040
  • Options
    John_M said:

Chameleon said:

Wut? Turkey has an army three times larger than the UK, and larger than the UK, US (Europe) and French forces combined. They don't need us. If they want to they can put close to a million men into the field.
    Intelligence.
  • Options

Sky News now interviewing Tim Marshall! I bet they wish they'd never let him go.

He's saying it's a Colonel/1-star General level coup, and the top level Generals may not be involved.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I feel like I should have been taught more about Turkey, the end of the Ottoman Empire and Ataturk - he seems to have been a towering figure and that rare thing, transformative.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited July 2016
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Erdogan is in Bodrum, in S.W. Turkey.

The greek military has just announced that they where monitoring the coup movements since lunchtime.
    So definitely NATO had prior knowledge of the coup for at least 10 hours before hand.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    If the coup fails, I guess it gives Erdogan the green light to become a full-blown dictator.
  • Options
    Lol If you were a Turkish copper would you go and arrest them :p ?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

The greek military has just announced that they where monitoring the coup movements since lunchtime.
    So definitely the West had prior knowledge of the coup of at least 10 hours.
    Looks like he may be stuck there.. given the airport closures.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    TRT TV has just broadcast a declaration.

Curfew. Martial law.
  • Options

If the coup fails, I guess it gives Erdogan the green light to become a full-blown dictator.

That's why every effort must be made to ensure it doesn't.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    John_M said:

Chameleon said:

That's pretty much exactly my point, Turkey is too important for the West/Russia to leave entirely to its own devices, hence why I said that it's fairly likely that either UK/US/France or Russia would want influence among its next leaders.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Busy 24 hours for Boris....
  • Options

MaxPB said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

Crap. If this had happened during our own EU vote campaign the whole idea that Turkey was "about to join" would have been blown out of the water.
    That shows how very little you understand about Turkish Politics...
    I'm talking about UK politics. Nobody would have believed Turkey was about the join the EU if it was in the middle of a coup.
    It's still unlikely, I said it as well. Though if this a secular coup it is probably more likely. I'd venture that Brexit may have been one of the triggers.
    A very minor one, surely. What makes you think Brexit might have had any influence?
    Britain have been Turkey's only ally in the EU for accession and trade policies. Without us to push their case the secular establishment might have got an itchy trigger finger. It's clear that Erdogan has been under pressure to make nice with Russia and Syria as well.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,751
    kle4 said:

I feel like I should have been taught more about Turkey, the end of the Ottoman Empire and Ataturk - he seems to have been a towering figure and that rare thing, transformative.

As PB's foremost historian, I'll educate you on him
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

John Kerry very neutral there, not even pretending to sound concerned. Erdogan has basically zero allies in the international arena. He's disliked by everyone in Europe, Russia, and the US. His only allies are Israel and Saudi Arabia at the moment I guess?

I'm not normally one for conspiracies but this seems like a coup that will be very quickly approved by the international community if it succeeds (and they wouldn't launch it if they weren't likely to succeed)

Israel is not an ally of Erdogan. There has been bad blood between him and Israel for 5 years or more.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

So definitely NATO had prior knowledge of the coup for at least 10 hours before hand.
    And if NATO knew, NATO probably gave it a helping hand.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,689
    edited July 2016

Not Saudi Arabia. Very angry about him making conciliatory noises toward Syria, and been complaining about him to Kerry.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,294
    viewcode said:

This week they've changed the access policy in the work wifi to specifically disallow betting sites, so I can't connect my lappy to this site in work hours, Arse. It's probably Brexit... :)

Anyhoo, my access is restricted and suddenly the news goes nonlinear. Multiple terrorist attacks in France, military coup in Turkey, Plissken flying the Gulf-fire into Leningrad. If I don't log in tomorrow, the news will involve the phrase "you now have two minutes to reach minimum safe distance"

Oh come on, you can work around that :)

At Goldman, I used to have the greatest fun in making sure IT could (physically) see me using sites that were banned. Of course, the logs indicated I was using a different site...
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223

He's probably behind it!
  • Options
    Speedy said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Does NATO have rules about what they are supposed to do in terms of letting a leader know if their own military is getting coup happy?

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

The military has taken control of state TV and the airports. It's not going to fail.
  • Options
    Holidaymakers will be stuck in their all inclusive bars :p

"Can't get home, coup on"
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    eek said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

In Bodrum supposedly...
    Rumour that he has been scooped up.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    RobD said:

He's saying it's a Colonel/1-star General level coup, and the top level Generals may not be involved.
    He's been reading PB! I said it was probably brigadiers and colonels.

Edit: not here, damn wrote it in WhatsApp!

[21:56]I'd imagine it's brigadiers and colonel's who have become sick of the direction the country is taking and decided they've had enough. It also looks like they have the military police, army, navy and air force on board.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    kle4 said:

Atatürk was a genuinely remarkable man. It's a shame the UK history curriculum is so narrow (though I hear its being improved). The late Ottoman empire was a basket case. He was a truly modern leader. Check him out. Considering his background...amazing.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Holidaymakers will be stuck in their all inclusive bars :p

"Can't get home, coup on"

I hope they're well-stocked.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Israel is not an ally of Erdogan. There has been bad blood between him and Israel for 5 years or more.
    I thought they recently kissed and made up?
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

kle4 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Given's Turkey's capabilities and geographical location it'd be pretty negligent if the CIA/SIS didn't at the very least know about this coup attempt.
    I'd hope they'd know, but who can say - didn't we discover from american disclosure of presidential communications recently that they didn't have a clue what was going on on the ground when the Soviet Union collapsed, or am I remembering?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Does NATO have rules about what they are supposed to do in terms of letting a leader know if their own military is getting coup happy?

Not if it suits them to get rid of him.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

He's been reading PB! I said it was probably brigadiers and colonels.
    TBH right now I'd assume that a rather decent number of journos/politicians are frantically refreshing this for information ;)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Not if it suits them to get rid of him.
    I didn't ask if they would actually do so, just if they had official rules for such situations.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,629
    John_M said:

kle4 said:

Atatürk was a genuinely remarkable man. It's a shame the UK history curriculum is so narrow (though I hear its being improved). The late Ottoman empire was a basket case. He was a truly modern leader. Check him out. Considering his background...amazing.
    Chanak Incident led to Lloyd George's downfall

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chanak_Crisis
  • Options
    Popped back to BBC. Not talking about Turkey. What?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

How many British tourists are likely to be in Turkey?

I would guess >100,000.
    Jesus, that many?
  • Options
    Some police about.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,209

MaxPB said:

But it didn't so suck it up. If this coup succeeds then that probably moves them a step closer.
    Although I appreciate knowledge of EU accession is an increasingly esosteric coin, I have to point out that non-democracies are not allowed to join the EU.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Chameleon said:

kle4 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

I'd hope they'd know, but who can say - didn't we discover from american disclosure of presidential communications recently that they didn't have a clue what was going on on the ground when the Soviet Union collapsed, or am I remembering?
    Hmm, I can't remember anything about that, but even if it was the case, it was substantially harder to get agents into important positions in the SU than Turkey.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

I would guess >100,000.
    Jesus, that many?
    Not these days, surely. Numbers have gone down hugely.
  • Options

MikeK said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiss_of_death_(mafia)
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276
    kle4 said:

Chameleon said:

kle4 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

It's the 21st century. They'll have been able to get it off Instagram.
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    RobD said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

So definitely the West had prior knowledge of the coup of at least 10 hours.
    Looks like he may be stuck there.. given the airport closures.
    Won't the place be full of people smugglers?

He could be in a rib already.

Let's hope there's a storm.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

MaxPB said:

But it didn't so suck it up. If this coup succeeds then that probably moves them a step closer.
    Although I appreciate knowledge of EU accession is an increasingly esosteric coin, I have to point out that non-democracies are not allowed to join the EU.
    If the Coup is like the last few, they'll hand the reigns back over fairly soon to a secularist leader. Being run by a pro-western secular leader moves turkey quite a lot closer to joining compared to an Islamist dictator tightening his grip on power.
  • Options

MikeK said:

Not really.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

I would guess >100,000.
    Jesus, that many?
    Sounds like a reasonable estimate. Apparently some 2.5 million Brits visit Turkey every year. Might be a bit less cos the school holidays haven't started yet.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Amazing to see tanks rolling through the streets of a NATO country.
  • Options
    I've played an obscure old video game many times in recent years, called Republic: The Revolution, all about overthrowing an ex-soviet type dicatorship. Entertaining stuff, organizing rallies, criminal activity, forging political connections with other parties, that sort of thing, and it had a number of key events toward the end, where you could storm state tv and make a broadcast, ally with a rogue military faction, orchestrate a populist uprising, force diplomatic pressure to get the leader to stand down, assassinate leading figures in finance, religion and secret police and replace them with your picks.

I'll probably have to not replay it for awhile until the sight of real coups make it less carefree fun.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

kle4 said:

Chameleon said:

kle4 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Hmm, I can't remember anything about that, but even if it was the case, it was substantially harder to get agents into important positions in the SU than Turkey.
    One of the most influential papers I ever read was by a CIA analyst. He pointed out that Western intelligence agencies had failed to predict every important event in modern history, from the Cuban missile crisis through the fall of the Shah through the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan...all the way to the fall of the Soviet Union. He then proceeded to analyse why we'd had this collective serial failure.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

John_M said:

kle4 said:

Chanak Incident led to Lloyd George's downfall

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chanak_Crisis
    I didn't know that. Need to take more of an interest in this period.
  • Options
    Anchor on Turkish National TV saying that secular system needs to be restored.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,420
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

MarcKlein said:
    Bloody hell that jet is low! Why though?
    You need to live in a low fly training zone for a while. Looking down at pilots is always a treat when out walking.
    Slightly more disorientating when it's a C130 and you're just about able to keep pace with it on a motorbike.
  • Options

Kerry and Lavrov hand in hand tonight.

I think the coup in Turkey might be a wider effort, not just the americans behind it.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited July 2016
    Hilarious. I was on here yesterday talking about Atatürk and the relative secularism of Turkey and 24 hours later to the hour there's a coup in the country. Nothing's off the table at the moment.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    edited July 2016
    kle4 said:

The Soviet Union was the enemy, the Turkish military and security services are very much not. They probably tipped off those friends that need to know before many of their own forces.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Damascus celebrating. No surprise there I guess
  • Options
    Erdogan making a statement on CNN Turk right now.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Was the anchor just installed, or are they showing their colours?
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    RobD said:

You need to go to Radio 5
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Bad news for ISIS if Erdogan is gone?
  • Options
    BigIanBigIan Posts: 198

Hilarious. I was on here yesterday talking about Atatürk and the relative secularism of Turkey and 24 hours later to the hour there's a coup in the country. Nothing's off the table at the moment.

Is that you claiming the credit there?
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

It's a shame the people of Turkey, by majority, don't seem to agree.
  • Options

Please don't start talking about the relative secularism of the UK any time soon.
  • Options
    alex. said:

RobD said:

You need to go to Radio 5
    fair enough, I was just checking the news channel.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    AndyJS said:

MarcKlein said:
    I wish people knew how to spell fazed these days. Standards are slipping.
    Long since slipped, particularly in the BBC
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    John_M said:

Chameleon said:

kle4 said:

Chameleon said:

kle4 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

One of the most influential papers I ever read was by a CIA analyst. He pointed out that Western intelligence agencies had failed to predict every important event in modern history, from the Cuban missile crisis through the fall of the Shah through the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan...all the way to the fall of the Soviet Union. He then proceeded to analyse why we'd had this collective serial failure.
    What was the conclusion?
  • Options
    What a three weeks.
  • Options

Bad news for ISIS if Erdogan is gone?

Very.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,294
    viewcode said:

MaxPB said:

Although they are allowed to mint Euros :)
  • Options
    viewcode said:

MaxPB said:

Spain, Greece and many other nations transferred pretty rapidly from military dictatorship to EU/predecessor members. Greece was a military dictatorship in July 1974 and an EEC member by New Years Day 1981, less than seven years later.

On that timescale, Turkey could be a member within a decade.
This discussion has been closed.