Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why I’m betting that it’ll be next July at the earliest bef

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,258
    GIN1138 said:

Blimey the whole world is going crazy this Summer!

Nevermind, Keep Calm And Brexit On.

You aren't up with the times...it is...

Keep Calm and Pokeman GOOOOOOOOO
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    Charles said:

So Dave was right, Brexit would lead to wars, coups, and instability in Europe

A coup is ( yet another ) major step away from Accession. Another Leave lie shown for what it was.
    I know you are frustrated but it's unfair to accuse the Leavers of lying because they didn't anticipate a coup in Turkey
    To be fair, a military coup in Turkey when an Islamist government tightens its grip on control is not that hard to anticipate.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,957
    MarcKlein said:

Rumours it's US inspired with the help of this guy.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fethullah_Gülen

That would seem fairly likely. Erdogan has been accusing Gulen of running a 'shadow state' (whatever that is) for a long time. He's also been trying to repair relations with Russia recently, possibly because he knew his card was marked with the US and was trying not to be totally friendless?

Couldn't have happened to a nicer fellow.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited July 2016
    Its rumoured to be both military and paramilitary police forces. If its airforce, army and navy genuinely unified and onboard, good luck trying to stop it.

Only reports, however, are in Ankara, clearly important but by no means could that work alone and claim success.

Update, apparently the armed forces chief of staff has been detained by troops involved in the coup.

Internet access has been restricted, question is by whom but if you want to avoid mobilising the public, its good to cut down public forums.

• Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    eek said:

Rexel56 said:

Having had to spend the last two years building our own rural broadband network, fibre-to-the-home, delighted that Ed Vaizey has paid the price for BDUK fiasco...

B4rn?
    Indeed... Gigabit broadband, unlimited, £30 per month... community funded, community built
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,395
    MaxPB said:

alex. said:

Sky reporting leading generals being held hostage

I'd imagine they have got sick of Erdogan's men.
    The general is Erdogan's man, if previous coups are anything to go by. It is the aspirational middle order attracted to a coup.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,181
    The most important news of today, if not this week, I might write an AV thread for Sunday.
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276
    eek said:

Speedy said:

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/754053690479276032
    May be an officers coup.
    But it's very successful so far.

You have to remember that Erdogan has purged the senior generals at least once (I think its twice but don't my googlefu is failing me) to replace them with ones loyal to him.. As such the senior generals are not that supported
    Do you know what happened to the previous set(s) of generals?
  • Options
    US A10 Warthogs exercising over Yorkshire Dales this morning, makes sense now...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686

RobD said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

Sky - Military have taken over according to Reuters.

Problem is even if they start with high ideals, military coups end in corruption and dictatorship (cf Musharraf).
    It's also very hard for them to let go.
    When I become the Dictator of the UK, I promise to give up power after around 20 years or so
    Didn't you know.. TSE loves democracy ;)
    I shall abolish parliament and appoint regional governors who will have direct control over their territories
    You have no death star, how will you keep them in line without one?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

PClipp said:

John_M said:

Soubry tweeting that she's returning to her constituency to continue campaigning for Remain. ........

Is she starting to identify with the Lib Dems?
    Would they want her?
    They would want her (the fools). She would start an argument with herself if left alone in a room.
  • Options
    eek said:

Speedy said:

May be an officers coup.

You have to remember that Erdogan has purged the senior generals at least once (I think its twice but don't my googlefu is failing me) to replace them with ones loyal to him.. As such the senior generals are not that supported
    More than that. The Erdogan place-generals are possibly more important for the coup to control than Erdogan himself.

Is it wrong to ask if there is a market up on whether the coup succeeds?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,184

The most important news of today, if not this week, I might write an AV thread for Sunday.

:o
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,818
    Rexel56 said:

eek said:

Rexel56 said:

Having had to spend the last two years building our own rural broadband network, fibre-to-the-home, delighted that Ed Vaizey has paid the price for BDUK fiasco...

B4rn?
    Indeed... Gigabit broadband, unlimited, £30 per month... community funded, community built
    I'm working over in Preston during the week at the moment. It's awfully impressive...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

Problem is even if they start with high ideals, military coups end in corruption and dictatorship (cf Musharraf).
    When I become the Dictator of the UK, I promise to give up power after around 20 years or so
    I shall abolish parliament and appoint regional governors who will have direct control over their territories
    Have you seen his shoes?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited July 2016
    kle4 said:

Charles said:

A coup is ( yet another ) major step away from Accession. Another Leave lie shown for what it was.
    I know you are frustrated but it's unfair to accuse the Leavers of lying because they didn't anticipate a coup in Turkey
    That is true, although false impressions created about how soon Turkey might join - usually based of diplomatic pronouncements that of course were optimistic - was one of the bolder untruths of the Leave campaign. The immigration angle was strong enough regardless, I don't know why they even bothered.
    The reason it was so effective is that Turkish accession is in hand. The UK officially supports accession, and the EU just recently began another round of talks.

The fact that every man + dog knows they haven't got a hope in hell of actually joining doesn't necessarily carry as much weight as we might think. It's Euro fudge caught in the act and to its detriment.

I was furious with Vote Leave for using it, far more than Farage's daft poster.

*edit* Why did they bother? Muslims, mate, millions of 'em. Pure, ugly dog whistling.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    RobD said:

Jobabob said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Where's Lord Falconer when you need him?

Who do you think is running the coup? :p
    :smiley::smiley::smiley:
    Western-backed, by a peer of the realm no less.
    All so obvious in hindsight.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    This site is so much better for Breaking News than the actual news.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,587
    My contact in Germany tells me this is all to do with Deep State (?), who have apparently backed this coup.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,134
    Would we have a coup in the event Corbyn got in charge ?

Thinking out loud.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    It's always the colonels.
  • Options

It really is the place to be for national/international events.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,150
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

He just told us - the threat of AV threads unleashed on the population.

On reflection, that might turn me from resistance into supporter.
  • Options
    Newton Emerson @NewtonEmerson
    Looks like Boris no longer needs to worry about calling Erdogan a "goat wankerer".
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    AndyJS said:

Where's Lord Falconer when you need him?

Mornington [turkish]crescent
  • Options

No joke, a by-election in my area yesterday, declared 1 mile from where I sit, and I still read the result here before I was texted by someone who had been at the count.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    It's funny, after the last three weeks, I figured maybe tonight I could kick back, enjoy a few beers, play some Total War and just relax.

Damn stupid world. Stop happening already and let people chillax.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited July 2016
    MarcKlein said:

Rumours it's US-inspired with the help of this guy.

I agree, but a coup by radical islamists is very much the last thing the americans would want.
    Though Obama did support the muslim brotherhood in Egypt.
  • Options

Looks like Boris no longer needs to worry about calling Erdogan a "goat wankerer".

Looking forward to cordial relations with the new Junta.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,209
    Turkey about to join EU? Utter bollx from Leave. Now exposed in a terrible way
  • Options

This is actually one of those times that Brexit may have triggered it. Without the UK there is no ally within the EU to push for pro-Turkey policies. The military may have moved to remove Erdogan given his moves away from secularism.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,239
    Pulpstar said:

Thinking out loud.

A man who is so utterly useless he can't even rig his own leadership election rules properly?

Why would we need one?
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

Boris is probably the Government's leading authority on Turkey. May's prescience shows no limits!
  • Options
    wasd said:

eek said:

Speedy said:

May be an officers coup.

Do you know what happened to the previous set(s) of generals?
    Court or resignation to avoid court...

https://www.rt.com/news/erdogan-turkish-army-beheaded-799/

• Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

Have you seen his shoes?
    I have seen one pair.
    "How can you say that I'm too old,
    when the angels have stolen my red shoes."
    E. Costello
  • Options
    Speedy said:

MarcKlein said:

Rumours it's US-inspired with the help of this guy.

I agree, but a coup by radical islamists is very much the last thing the americans would want.
    Though Obama did support the muslim brotherhood in Egypt.
    The Turkish military are not radical Islamists.

They are secularists and their coup is to stop Erdogan (who is an Islamist) taking Turkey away from its secular foundations under Ataturk.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Boris is probably the Government's leading authority on Turkey. May's prescience shows no limits!
    Hah! Quite...
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,054
    Pulpstar said:

Thinking out loud.

I think Chris Mullin has already dealt with that question in 'A Very British Coup'.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Rexel56 said:

Yes, the House of Lords recommended in 2012 a public-funded universal fibre to the home network ASAP to benefit UK PLC (I forget if they meant renationalising Openreach or doing it some other way). Little has happened outside cities. I get the same speed as in 2005, about 6 Mb and many people get less.

Rural businesses including farmers are forced to use online government forms, like VAT, but sometimes can't get broadband speeds, only dial up.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,923
    Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

Jobabob said:

On topic, as Emperor Kahless said Destroying an Empire to win a war is no victory. And ending a battle to save an Empire is no defeat , I do wonder if the Conservative and UNIONIST Party will decide destroying the UK is too high a price for Brexit

It remains possible. Interesting that May's first official visit as PM was to Bute House. I wonder how many Brexiteers on here would consider a UK split it a price worth paying?
    May was summoned, she did not do the summoning. The balance of power has been fairly clear for quite some time.

May capitulated to Nicola today.
    Absolute rubbish - she and Nicola were acting as grown ups unlike yourself
    Oh, has May contested Nicola's statement about her capitulation?

May has not. So we know which way the wind blew. May capitulated, although it still won't be enough to stop the UK being dissolved.
    You are talking nonsense and at least in Theresa May and Nicola Sturgeon there are two people who will have an adult conversation - and before you rant again I am married to a Highlander who is proud to be a Scot and British and rejects the SNP
  • Options

That's why it's the number one politics website.
  • Options
    Horrible and chaotic though such events can be, I have a strange interest in seeing how the headlines change, from subtle to extreme. A few minutes ago the BBC main page had a story about Turkey PM decrying 'illegal action' or something along those lines, now it's army group 'takes control of turkey'.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Thinking out loud.

I'd hope not, but then this theory was all the rage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Wilson_conspiracy_theories#Alleged_1974_military_coup_plot
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

My contact in Germany tells me this is all to do with Deep State (?), who have apparently backed this coup.

I know those guys, nationalists-kemalists.
    Something like to the right of UKIP, but not religious.
  • Options
    I blame Farage.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    RobD said:

MarcKlein said:
    Bloody hell that jet is low! Why though?
    You need to live in a low fly training zone for a while. Looking down at pilots is always a treat when out walking.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Thinking out loud.

Since he would presumably have had to win a democratic election somehow to become one, I don't see how - he wouldn't have hidden his plans, so what could he propose that would spark the British into a coup?
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    rcs1000 said:

Seems to be a conspiracy theory organisation......like the lizards.
  • Options
    Am watching Sky, tuned in to BBC a few times in the last minutes. First time they were covering Nice, now the Weather. Why isn't this all over their coverage?
  • Options

A secular military coup probably moves them a step closer tbh.
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

It's funny, after the last three weeks, I figured maybe tonight I could kick back, enjoy a few beers, play some Total War and just relax.

Can the world just stop now? It's not big and it's not clever.

I just sat down to watch a film FFS.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Crap. If this had happened during our own EU vote campaign the whole idea that Turkey was "about to join" would have been blown out of the water.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,587

That's all Europe needs,more refugee's,this looks like a civil war.

Why the apostrophe?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

MarcKlein said:

That would seem fairly likely. Erdogan has been accusing Gulen of running a 'shadow state' (whatever that is) for a long time. He's also been trying to repair relations with Russia recently, possibly because he knew his card was marked with the US and was trying not to be totally friendless?

We need to stop getting involved in Islamic countries internal politics, will we never learn?
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276
    John Kerry looks like his own muppet.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Crap. If this had happened during our own EU vote campaign the whole idea that Turkey was "about to join" would have been blown out of the water.
    In the short term, yes, but this may make accession more likely in the long term, given the path taken by Erdogan.
  • Options
    BBC News channel
    "coming up at 1pm is the 1 o clock news"
    WTF is going on at the BBC?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Only in abstract, in a '15 years rather than 20 way' surely? A coup would be the Turkish military saying its people cannot be trusted, again, not to vote for a dangerous islamist. If the military regime was in place for awhile, how many 'free' elections returning good secularists would assure the EU everything would not kick up all over again with a new Erdogan?
  • Options
    Thrak said:

rcs1000 said:

Seems to be a conspiracy theory organisation......like the lizards.
    They are literally a Deep State.
    It's the military, secret services, oligarchs.

They are like the villains from X-Files, but real and not UFO related.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

But it didn't so suck it up. If this coup succeeds then that probably moves them a step closer.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Pulpstar said:

Thinking out loud.

Corbyn will never be in charge.
  • Options
    Thrak said:

Lowlander said:

Can the world just stop now? It's not big and it's not clever.

I just sat down to watch a film FFS.
    Everything is at boiling point. Even when I sit down to watch the Tour de France (which is my equivalent to wasting a day watching cricket), there's bouncy castles falling on riders and crowds forcing riders to run up mountains.

The whole world has gone insane.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Am watching Sky, tuned in to BBC a few times in the last minutes. First time they were covering Nice, now the Weather. Why isn't this all over their coverage?

Obviously can't cope with two big stories at the same time.
  • Options
    WHY is it not the top story on the BBC?
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    RobD said:

Probably working out what spin to put on it.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

That shows how very little you understand about Turkish Politics...
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Again, a coup that removes the Islamist president and leadership moves Turkey one step closer to EU membership in reality, though in the very near term the EU will condemn it but once the AKP are outlawed and the constitution is reset it makes Turkey more compatible with the EU.
  • Options
  • Options
    How many British tourists are likely to be in Turkey?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    I'm sure there is some action here, though I can't see ithttps://twitter.com/worldonalert/status/754054584407040000

No time line on this.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,134
    John Kerry with a very neutral statement there. No support for Erdogan I noted in his initial tone.
  • Options
    Lead story on BBC10 oclock News now is Nice....... "holiday makers caught up in chaos in Nice".... after 2 mins of headlines they finally mention Turkey.
  • Options
    Spoke to a guy yesterday who had just got back from a holiday in Turkey and had a really good time. I don't think I'll be taking up his recommendation to head out there though.
  • Options
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

I'm talking about UK politics. Nobody would have believed Turkey was about the join the EU if it was in the middle of a coup.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Only in abstract, in a '15 years rather than 20 way' surely? A coup would be the Turkish military saying its people cannot be trusted, again, not to vote for a dangerous islamist. If the military regime was in place for awhile, how many 'free' elections returning good secularists would assure the EU everything would not kick up all over again with a new Erdogan?
    I'd say 10 years up from "never" if this is a secular coup.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited July 2016
    RobD said:

Lawyers are arguing whether to call this a military coup or the ‘so called military coup’ ?
  • Options
    ITV News also focused first on Nice just like the beeb.
    Meanwhile Sky straight into Turkey.
  • Options

ITV News also focused first on Nice just like the beeb.
    Meanwhile Sky straight into Turkey.

Great coverage from Sky. You can watch their news channel for free here all the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y60wDzZt8yg
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

How many British tourists are likely to be in Turkey?

I would guess >100,000.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,495

RobD said:

Lawyers are arguing whether to call this a military coup or the ‘so called military coup’ ?
    Military so-called coup?
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Try https://www.rt.com/on-air/?
    Keeps buffering though ...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,955
    Evening all, what a terrible 24 hours, first Nice, now Turkey.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

RobD said:

Probably working out what spin to put on it.
    Yes, how it is Brexit's fault.
  • Options

eek said:

MaxPB said:

I'm talking about UK politics. Nobody would have believed Turkey was about the join the EU if it was in the middle of a coup.
    It's still unlikely, I said it as well. Though if this a secular coup it is probably more likely. I'd venture that Brexit may have been one of the triggers.
  • Options
    nunu said:

MarcKlein said:

We need to stop getting involved in Islamic countries internal politics, will we never learn?
    Turkey is a secular country and a strategically vital NATO member. I doubt we've had anything to do with this. Don't forget the Turkish armed forces would beat the shit out of any other NATO country, with the possible exception of the US.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    It appears the army have turned up at AKP HQ in Ankara and have been spotted in Istanbul as well.
  • Options
    GravitationGravitation Posts: 281
    How does NATO fit into all this? Can Article 5 only be invoked against attacks by an external power or could a government use it against a coup attempt?
  • Options
    RobD said:

WHY is it not the top story on the BBC?

Because Britain (well America) might be behind it ?
  • Options

Evening all, what a terrible 24 hours, first Nice, now Turkey.

The thing is, Turkey might not actually be terrible news.
  • Options

Rexel56 said:

Yes, the House of Lords recommended in 2012 a public-funded universal fibre to the home network ASAP to benefit UK PLC (I forget if they meant renationalising Openreach or doing it some other way). Little has happened outside cities. I get the same speed as in 2005, about 6 Mb and many people get less.

Rural businesses including farmers are forced to use online government forms, like VAT, but sometimes can't get broadband speeds, only dial up.
    £1.4bn given to BT to sweat their aging copper assets in marginally uncommercial suburbs and larger villages whilst failing to solve rural access... an utter farce... Ed Vaizey has always been charming and enthusiastic but has been utterly played by BT...
  • Options

How does NATO fit into all this? Can Article 5 only be invoked against attacks by an external power or could a government use it against a coup attempt?

No, only against an external aggressor.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,258
    Why did Sky get rid of Tim Marshall? He was an brilliant when it came to breaking news like this.

Also, I bet Joey Jones is well pissed. Only just got his sat down at his desk spinning for Osborne and I presume he will get the chop like his boss.
  • Options

Try https://www.rt.com/on-air/?
    Keeps buffering though ...

Putin's propagandists? Seriously? If it isn't bigging him up it's batty conspiracy theories.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

RobD said:

Obviously can't cope with two big stories at the same time.
    The BBC and ITV only cover stories in first part where they can get the main presenter there to present from. Having invested in the air tickets and hotel rooms then Nice has to be the first story.
  • Options
    John_M said:

nunu said:

MarcKlein said:

Turkey is a secular country and a strategically vital NATO member. I doubt we've had anything to do with this. Don't forget the Turkish armed forces would beat the shit out of any other NATO country, with the possible exception of the US.
    There are significant reasons to think France and/or Russia may be involved.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    kle4 said:

Horrible and chaotic though such events can be, I have a strange interest in seeing how the headlines change, from subtle to extreme. A few minutes ago the BBC main page had a story about Turkey PM decrying 'illegal action' or something along those lines, now it's army group 'takes control of turkey'.

To be fair to the beeb it seems everyone is choosing their words carefully.
  • Options

Article 5 doesn't guarantee anything. Even so, it doesn't apply in this case. Greece and Turkey have both had coups before (as NATO members).
  • Options

Why did Sky get rid of Tim Marshall? He was an brilliant when it came to breaking news like this.

Also, I bet Joey Jones is well pissed. Only just got his sat down at his desk spinning for Osborne and I presume he will get the chop like his boss.

Joey Jones was/is working for Theresa May
This discussion has been closed.