Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why I’m betting that it’ll be next July at the earliest bef

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,184
    Jobabob said:

Speedy said:

So Dave was right, Brexit would lead to wars, coups, and instability in Europe

Turkey is not part of europe, it's in asia.
    Some of it is in Europe
    A small part.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    John_M said:

Soubry tweeting that she's returning to her constituency to continue campaigning for Remain. ........

Is she starting to identify with the Lib Dems?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,797
    Speedy said:

Half of Istanbul is definitely in Europe - although I usually stay on the Asian side looking over...
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Anyone want to play Junta?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junta_(game)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,957
    rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Where does this leave NATO?

I guess there's going to be a second COBRA meeting in the space of 24 hours.

The info i'm getting is that this is a NATO backed coup.
    Also tanks are on the way to Ankara right now.
    Where from?
    And how would Obama suddenly grow the massive pair of cojones required to sponsor a coup in a NATO state?
    As if anything's up to Obama fgs.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    Blimey... was the PM's statement worthy of the former Information Minister?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,233
    John_M said:

Airport taken.

Surely that's game over? If the military insurrection controls all key transport and communications the government are literally unable to do anything even if there are loyal troops.

Somebody very senior and very good is behind this if it's got this far in barely an hour.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    alex. said:

Because breaking news is boring - I was thinking about the Foreign office earlier today - does Brexit mean that there is going to need to be a big increase in the Foreign office budget. Do we not subcontract a large amount of our embassy/consular work to the EU (or at least do a lot of sharing of buildings etc in smaller countries)? Or do we actually still have a fully functioning operation in countries around the world?

Brexit will cost a fortune and use up most of the money we used to pay the EU - sorry NHS.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,150
    edited July 2016
    Jobabob said:

On topic, as Emperor Kahless said Destroying an Empire to win a war is no victory. And ending a battle to save an Empire is no defeat , I do wonder if the Conservative and UNIONIST Party will decide destroying the UK is too high a price for Brexit

It remains possible. Interesting that May's first official visit as PM was to Bute House. I wonder how many Brexiteers on here would consider a UK split it a price worth paying?
    Not me, but the Nats beat me long ago and I saw it as inevitable. If May could save the Union, definitively, I would consider Remaining a price worth paying.
  • Options
    Sky reporting the Turkish military have taken over.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2016
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:
    Blimey... was the PM's statement worthy of the former Information Minister?
    Does The Economist still support Turkey's accession to the EU...
  • Options
    Military taking over for "democratic order, and for human rights to be maintained".
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Sky - Military have taken over according to Reuters.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Airport taken. Military say they've taken back control. Apparently the Vote Leave campaign was even more effective than first thought.

I'm pretty sure neither Leadsom nor Boris were involved. It's too well-organised for that.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,208
    marke09 said:

Talk of a baptism of fire no tin the job more than 2 days and Theresa May has had to deal with foreign terrorism and now a coup

Good job Boris doesn't have to also bash out a Telegraph column for Monday ;-)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Military taking over for "democratic order, and for human rights to be maintained".

Commonly called "doing a Palpatine"...
  • Options
    Speedy said:

As is well known, bits of it are in Europe. As a term, Europe has quite vague definitions, geographically.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Pauly said:

I'm hearing reports Angela Eagle is responsible and has been planning this coup for 9 months, and Turkey should be worried.

Depneds on what the NEC say :)
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    A coup in Turkey.

Today.

Is there a play being made from the Quai D'Orsay?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,054
    RobD said:

Jobabob said:

Speedy said:

Some of it is in Europe
    A small part.
    The Bosphorus Bridge literally connects Europe to Asia.
  • Options

RobD said:

Jobabob said:

Speedy said:

Some of it is in Europe
    A small part.
    The Bosphorus Bridge literally connects Europe to Asia.
    Yep
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited July 2016
    Ed Vaizey is out of government. Christ, May really doesn't like Cameroons, does she.
  • Options
    So I've been consumed with the made up politics of the Dragon Age universe for the last several hours, what's going down in Turkey? I thought the military had been hobbled there for awhile, and Erdogan popularly backed.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Where does this leave NATO?

I guess there's going to be a second COBRA meeting in the space of 24 hours.

The info i'm getting is that this is a NATO backed coup.
    Also tanks are on the way to Ankara right now.
    Where from?
    And how would Obama suddenly grow the massive pair of cojones required to sponsor a coup in a NATO state?
    As if anything's up to Obama fgs.
    Here we go.

Cue spooky music.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

BBC quoting that statement as well. Big talk about human rights, which suggests it is about secularism/Islamism.

Problem is even if they start with high ideals, military coups end in corruption and dictatorship (cf Musharraf).
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276
    ydoethur said:

John_M said:

Airport taken.

Surely that's game over? If the military insurrection controls all key transport and communications the government are literally unable to do anything even if there are loyal troops.

Somebody very senior and very good is behind this if it's got this far in barely an hour.
    It must depend - if the police and irregulars remain loyal to the previous government then it could become very unpleasant.
  • Options
    Turkish PM has only been in office for 7 weeks:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binali_Yıldırım
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Istanbul is pretty anti-Erdogan isn't it?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Jobabob said:

On topic, as Emperor Kahless said Destroying an Empire to win a war is no victory. And ending a battle to save an Empire is no defeat , I do wonder if the Conservative and UNIONIST Party will decide destroying the UK is too high a price for Brexit

It remains possible. Interesting that May's first official visit as PM was to Bute House. I wonder how many Brexiteers on here would consider a UK split it a price worth paying?
    I say it is. Sad to see Scotland go, but as Sean said the tail can't wag the dog.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    John_M said:

I have just revised my travel guidance to my daughter. Looks like she'll be holidaying in Clacton.

Might be UKIP coup in Clacton against Douglas Carswell though ?? ....
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Jobabob said:

May was summoned, she did not do the summoning. The balance of power has been fairly clear for quite some time.

May capitulated to Nicola today.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Standards Military Junta talk, rarely goes well. No doubt the functions of state will be carried out by some drearily named body, like the Committee for the Establishment of National Harmony.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,208
    John_M said:

Ed Vaizey is out of government. Christ, May really doesn't like Cameroons, does she.

The only people who will notice that sacking is the posh restaurants around Westminster.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,168
    Are we sure the events in Turkey aren't a Pokemon Go game that's gone too far?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

BBC quoting that statement as well. Big talk about human rights, which suggests it is about secularism/Islamism.

Problem is even if they start with high ideals, military coups end in corruption and dictatorship (cf Musharraf).
    Although Turkey is possibly very different because of its history in this respect?
  • Options
    PClipp said:

John_M said:

Soubry tweeting that she's returning to her constituency to continue campaigning for Remain. ........

Is she starting to identify with the Lib Dems?
    Would they want her?
  • Options

Are we sure the events in Turkey aren't a Pokemon Go game that's gone too far?

I was discussing this with colleagues yesterday. That game could lead to war....
  • Options
    wasd said:

ydoethur said:

John_M said:

Airport taken.

It must depend - if the police and irregulars remain loyal to the previous government then it could become very unpleasant.
    With due respect to the Turkish police, they would stand no chance of fighting jets and tanks. I do not think many would be stupid enough to try either.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

It's also very hard for them to let go.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Jobabob said:

I say it is. Sad to see Scotland go, but as Sean said the tail can't wag the dog.
    Pretty everything's a price worth paying to the Brexiteers. It's all they care about, leaving the bloody EU.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Standards Military Junta talk, rarely goes well. No doubt the functions of state will be carried out by some drearily named body, like the Committee for the Establishment of National Harmony.
    Turkish army will protect Ataturk's legacy at all costs. It's hardly the first time they've done this.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

They would have to go some to be more corrupt than the current leadership....
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,906
    Lowlander said:

Jobabob said:

May was summoned, she did not do the summoning. The balance of power has been fairly clear for quite some time.

Absolute rubbish - she and Nicola were acting as grown ups unlike yourself
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Since Ataturk the Turkish military have been guardians of their constitution and have had coups repeatedly and so far successfully. If Erdogan is gone then that could be a very good thing.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Pulpstar said:
    That's nonsense, Mr Burnham is always very firm in who he backs. Until tomorrow that is. But then he is equally firm in who he then backs.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    Mike Dammann ‏@firetown 2m2 minutes ago

Local conspiracy theory in Turkey: " its a false flag coup so Erdogan can defeat the fake coup and seize more power"
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Pulpstar said:

The Turkish military about to show Gove and the PLP how a coup is done :p

:lol:
  • Options
    alex. said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

Although Turkey is possibly very different because of its history in this respect?
    It would be nice to think so, but you could make the same comment about chile, or Argentina, or Egypt, or Spain. And that wasn't true.

Admittedly Turkey has a stronger democratic tradition than their countries but if the military itself is divided...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

The Turkish military have what might be called a "positive" history. Certainly in terms of what their occasional interventions in democracy have meant for the West.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,587
    Speedy said:
    That looks like a seriously complicated game!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

When I become the Dictator of the UK, I promise to give up power after around 20 years or so
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    John_M said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Turkish army will protect Ataturk's legacy at all costs. It's hardly the first time they've done this.
    No, but I had thought they'd lost the power to try it. Apparently not. The people keep electing the wrong people though, apparently. Tis every thus, with democracies.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Blimey!

Not really followed the political situation in Turkey but did/does Erdogan have decent public support? Will the Turkish population support this coup?
  • Options
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

They would have to go some to be more corrupt than the current leadership....
    That didn't stop Musharraf or Pinochet, or for that matter Franco or Horthy.
  • Options

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

When I become the Dictator of the UK, I promise to give up power after around 20 years or so
    Didn't you know.. TSE loves democracy ;)
  • Options
    Sky: all flights out of Ataturk have been cancelled...
  • Options
    edited July 2016

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

Fair warning, I'm already planning a resistance movement.

We shall be called the Keyboard Warriors, and your despotic regime shall tremble at our biting online criticism.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Speedy said:

Erdogan himself has confirmed it's a military coup.

Information that I'm getting right now is that this is a western backed coup.

That would be stupid, even more reason for Islamists to complain
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    Having had to spend the last two years building our own rural broadband network, fibre-to-the-home, delighted that Ed Vaizey has paid the price for BDUK fiasco...
  • Options

Lowlander said:

Jobabob said:

Absolute rubbish - she and Nicola were acting as grown ups unlike yourself
    Oh, has May contested Nicola's statement about her capitulation?

May has not. So we know which way the wind blew. May capitulated, although it still won't be enough to stop the UK being dissolved.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,395
    marke09 said:

Mike Dammann ‏@firetown 2m2 minutes ago

Local conspiracy theory in Turkey: " its a false flag coup so Erdogan can defeat the fake coup and seize more power"

Well, as conspiracy theories go, it's more believeable than most. Erdogan has the personal qualities required, but lacks the organisational support.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Turkey:
    Police attempting to block Military movements on and around the Bosphorus. Civil War?
  • Options
    Mahir Zeynalov ‏@MahirZeynalov 8m8 minutes ago
    A blast in Ankara police special forces training center.
  • Options
    Where's Lord Falconer when you need him?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

alex. said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

It would be nice to think so, but you could make the same comment about chile, or Argentina, or Egypt, or Spain. And that wasn't true.

Admittedly Turkey has a stronger democratic tradition than their countries but if the military itself is divided...
    I meant in the sense that they've got a history of intervening when elected governments start to deviate from the constitution, and haven't generally hung around for longer than necessary.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The Turkish military about to show Gove and the PLP how a coup is done :p

Because the #chickencoup in Labour just isn't worth a comparison?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:
    That looks like a seriously complicated game!
    "Game time depends on how often coups are declared, but can often exceed six hours."

A mistress leaves a player open to a character assassination card. Cor! :smiley:
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Who do you think is running the coup? :p
  • Options
    Really odd watching a coup and not knowing who the good guys are.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Speedy said:

Erdogan himself has confirmed it's a military coup.

Information that I'm getting right now is that this is a western backed coup.

That would be stupid, even more reason for Islamists to complain
    Whether it is true or not it will be said it is a western backed coup. I'm sure the russians will confirm that story too.
  • Options
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

:smiley::smiley::smiley:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

alex. said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

Ataturk is a semi-divine figure. I think it is unlikely the military is divided. Maybe some of the leaders of the military but they will have already been "neutralised".
  • Options
    If the PM's still free and making statements, the coup's not going well, right? You need to lock down the opposition right from the start, I'd have thought. And if you cannot...
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

Didn't you know.. TSE loves democracy ;)
    I shall abolish parliament and appoint regional governors who will have direct control over their territories
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    That's all Europe needs,more refugee's,this looks like a civil war.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

If the PM's still free and making statements, the coup's not going well, right? You need to lock down the opposition right from the start, I'd have thought. And if you cannot...

May I remind you of the Iraqi information minister?
  • Options
    All TV channels in Turkey are now off the air.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Well Erdogan definitely isn't a "good guy". Whether or not the military is, is yet to be determined.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

:smiley::smiley::smiley:
    Western-backed, by a peer of the realm no less.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

A coup is ( yet another ) major step away from Accession. Another Leave lie shown for what it was.
    I know you are frustrated but it's unfair to accuse the Leavers of lying because they didn't anticipate a coup in Turkey
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,821

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Since Ataturk the Turkish military have been guardians of their constitution and have had coups repeatedly and so far successfully. If Erdogan is gone then that could be a very good thing.
    True, but I recall how euphoric people were at the Sisi coup over Morsi and he has rapidly backslid into typical military dictatorship ways. The military can never claim any legitimacy so they eventually can only rule with a big stick. Undoubtedly the fewer islamists in power the better, but this may not be particularly good news for the turks.
  • Options
    alex. said:

ydoethur said:

alex. said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

I meant in the sense that they've got a history of intervening when elected governments start to deviate from the constitution, and haven't generally hung around for longer than necessary.
    But it looks as though this isn't the whole military, just a section of it. Which also suggests a power struggle may follow. Which means each side will entrench,and be afraid to give up power for fear of reprisals.

It also tells me that the Turkish system of government is inadequate if every ten years or so you need the army to seize power and put it back together.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

All TV channels in Turkey are now off the air.

Truly a horror to suffer through. Unless the TV is really bad - I've seen Turkish cinema from the 70s.
  • Options

On balance, it is very likely that the Turkish military are the good guys.

They could be supported by France or Russia (or, possibly, both).
  • Options
    Charles said:

A coup is ( yet another ) major step away from Accession. Another Leave lie shown for what it was.
    I know you are frustrated but it's unfair to accuse the Leavers of lying because they didn't anticipate a coup in Turkey
    I think it would be wrong to suggest this is Turkey moving away from Accession, especially given Erdogan's policies.
  • Options
    MarcKleinMarcKlein Posts: 36
    edited July 2016
    Rumours it's US-inspired with the help of this guy.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fethullah_Gülen
  • Options
    Sky reporting leading generals being held hostage
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/754053690479276032
    May be an officers coup.
    But it's very successful so far.
  • Options
    Rexel56 said:

Having had to spend the last two years building our own rural broadband network, fibre-to-the-home, delighted that Ed Vaizey has paid the price for BDUK fiasco...

B4rn?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,080
    Blimey the whole world is going crazy this Summer!

Nevermind, Keep Calm And Brexit On.
  • Options
    Charles said:

That is true, although false impressions created about how soon Turkey might join - usually based of diplomatic pronouncements that of course were optimistic - was one of the bolder untruths of the Leave campaign. The immigration angle was strong enough regardless, I don't know why they even bothered.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Good time to be long gold.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

May I remind you of the Iraqi information minister?
    The rule of coups is act hard and fast.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    alex. said:

Sky reporting leading generals being held hostage

I'd imagine they have got sick of Erdogan's men.
  • Options
    Our world continues to produce history much, much faster than it can sanely be consumed.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    GIN1138 said:

Blimey the whole world is going crazy this Summer!

Nevermind, Keep Calm And Brexit On.

Turkish Delight, anyone?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/754053690479276032
    May be an officers coup.
    But it's very successful so far.

You have to remember that Erdogan has purged the senior generals at least once (I think its twice but don't my googlefu is failing me) to replace them with ones loyal to him.. As such the senior generals are not that supported
This discussion has been closed.