Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Welcome to a new era in the Conservative party: The post-Bu

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    kle4 said:

Misogyny now a hate crime:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-36775398

"Incidents against women that are motivated by an attitude of a man towards a woman and includes behaviour targeted towards a woman by men simply because they are a woman."

I wonder if the reverse (misandry) is covered too, but shan't be holding my breath. Intriguing we now have a crime only one gender can commit

Still not pleased about this aspect, though:
    "It means abuse or harassment which might not be a crime can be reported to and investigated by the police, and support for the victim put in place."

Things that aren't crimes shouldn't be investigated by the police. Someone being a tosser is unpleasant, but the police are there to enforce the law, not to try and make the world lovely.

If someone calls me a silly bitch in a Nottingham street, the police [according to this] would not do anything. If I were a woman, they would. That's just daft.

What will be interesting is the first time a woman gets charged for a mysogynist offence!

Totally agree on police not investigating non crimes. If they are there to enforce good behaviour, not just prevent or catch criminal behaviour, they are moral police not just police.
    I am a little sceptical of the whole concept of "hate crimes", but this one may well prove useful at controlling the misbehaviour of the sort seen in some European cities. Far better than women only carriages.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    Anyone play Buzzword bingo btw ?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    I reckon Jezza's had a good month or so. Saying very little on his unlimited immigration desire during the referendum debate, seeing his Labour enemies ejaculate prematurely, and now he can sit back and smile. Having been an SWP cuckoo for thirty years, he can now start throwing the other eggs out the nest.

"What's that coming over the hill? It's deselection, deselection."
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

RodCrosby said:

Ishmael_X said:

Danny565 said:

jonny83 said:

Cameron led by example and got his party to partake in a standing ovation for Blair, will Corbyn do that? If Corbyn and his closest comrades sit down and the Lab backbenchers stand up it would look very bad, though I doubt Corbyn cares.

Whether people liked or disliked Blair, does anyone really deny that he was a much more "impactful" PM than Cameron has been?
    I don't usually think of people as "impactful", but if I had to give the label to somebody it would probably be Edward John Smith, RD, RNR (27 January 1850 – 15 April 1912).
    The poor bastard wasn't even on the bridge at the time...
    No, but the ship was still sailing under his orders i.e. too fast in an area known to contain icebergs.
    The Titanic 'disaster' no one remembers is the botched evacuation - managed properly Smith could have nearly doubled the number of survivors.....
    That job had to be delegated. Some junior officers behaved differently. Some thought the boats would buckle, or could be loaded from the lower gangways.

Some misinterpreted women and children first as women and children only...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,227
    I wonder how much the Conservatives who wanted to get Cameron out (*) are going to regret their moves in a few years' time?

(*) Naturally, not including the TINOs.
  • Options
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 5m5 minutes ago
    Westminster voting intention:
    CON: 36% (+1)
    LAB: 35% (+1)
    LDEM: 11% (+2) Winning here.
    UKIP: 8% (-2)
    GRN: 4% (-)
    (via Ipsos Mori / 09 - 11 Jul)
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Pulpstar said:

Tory landslide on hold?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,858
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Ishmael_X said:

Danny565 said:

jonny83 said:

Cameron led by example and got his party to partake in a standing ovation for Blair, will Corbyn do that? If Corbyn and his closest comrades sit down and the Lab backbenchers stand up it would look very bad, though I doubt Corbyn cares.

Whether people liked or disliked Blair, does anyone really deny that he was a much more "impactful" PM than Cameron has been?
    I don't usually think of people as "impactful", but if I had to give the label to somebody it would probably be Edward John Smith, RD, RNR (27 January 1850 – 15 April 1912).
    No, but the ship was still sailing under his orders i.e. too fast in an area known to contain icebergs.
    The Titanic 'disaster' no one remembers is the botched evacuation - managed properly Smith could have nearly doubled the number of survivors.....
    That job had to be delegated. Some junior officers behaved differently. Some thought the boats would buckle, or could be loaded from the lower gangways.

Failure of Smith's leadership. They knew the numbers.
  • Options

David Cameron is just so fantastic in this theatre - he will be missed

Wonder if May offered him a job.
    Why not? Chamberlain served under Churchill. What job would best suit him?
    FCO.

If the Foreign office usedvRyanair for official trips it would save a bundle.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Pulpstar said:

Labour on 35% no freaking way.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    Pulpstar said:

LDEM: 11% (+2) Outlier here.

That poll is ridiculous, I hope it is not so...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Dirty sleazy kippers on the slide...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,593
    Jo Maugham QC ‏@JolyonMaugham 3h3 hours ago
    Leadership voting: nothing is yet set in stone. Wonder who the independent scrutineer is?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,227
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Ishmael_X said:

Danny565 said:

jonny83 said:

The 'best' thing about the Titanic disaster (if anything could be classed as best about such a waste of life) was that rules and regulations were changed in the aftermath.

Perhaps more lives were saved in the long run as a consequence, especially with WWI coming so soon afterwards.
  • Options
    GravitationGravitation Posts: 281

FCO.

Education Sec would suit him best. Seems to be the area he is most passionate about, served briefly as shadow Ed Sec under Howard and wouldn't be one of the 'big beasts' in cabinet.

Douglas Home served as Foreign Sec under Heath, being the last PM to serve under another.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,950
    Cameron's bloody good... It's a shame things ended so badly for him.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    GIN1138 said:

Imagine if he'd backed Leave...
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    GIN1138 said:

wtf...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @robfordmancs: Oppo ldr ratings after 10 mths:
    Foot - 32
    Kinnock -7
    Smith +1
    Blair +29
    Hague -16
    IDS - 9
    Howard -15
    Cameron -1
    Ed M -7

Corbyn -41

Corbyn is a record holder
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Oy, Robertson just needs to shut up. Just sounding bitter.

At some point this attitude will backfire on the SNP, but will that be before 2020 or after? It does seem more likely to be post 2020.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited July 2016
    GIN1138 said:

He brought it upon himself, but it has also seen off for now the coronation of Osborne which would have been so much worse for the party and the country.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    I think Foreign Secretary would be the best position for Dave, but he'll need to sit on the back benches for a while so May can stamp her authority on the new Cabinet.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Pulpstar said:

It's a midterm poll. Labour should be in the lead.

But quite decent considering some people here think they might drop to sub 100 seats (I maintain they will end up with ~ 200)
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Dirty sleazy kippers on the slide...

The curse of Plato .. :naughty:
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    GIN1138 said:

it's not a shame when you realise what a dodgy bastard he was. Glad his legacy is in tatters and hopefully May will prove to be more in touch with the electorate and less of a slippery showman.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027

Angus Robertson starts light, with the anniversary of Balkan genocide and being a miseryguts.

The sketch writers always paint him in such good light.

For example:

"Angus Robertson was so brimming with the milk of human kindness that he almost turned to cheese on national television. Robertson is a sanctity robot who scours the earth looking for human tragedies he can turned into box-office gold. And he’s found a hum-dinger...."
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    Pulpstar said:

jonny83 said:

Pulpstar said:

It's a midterm poll. Labour should be in the lead.
    This.

In the meantime, I would suggest that the following is more predictive.

https://image.slidesharecdn.com/ipsosmoripoliticalmonitorjuly2016-160713102715/95/ipsos-mori-political-monitor-july-2016-8-638.jpg?cb=1468406275
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,593
    Jo Maugham QC ‏@JolyonMaugham 5m5 minutes ago
    Don't choke on your quinoa, Corbyn fans, but @OwenSmith_MP is basically even money on Betfair to beat him.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

I think Foreign Secretary would be the best position for Dave, but he'll need to sit on the back benches for a while so May can stamp her authority on the new Cabinet.

Agreed. I could see a way back for him but not yet.
  • Options
    Gordon Bennet the SNP just don't get it.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,486
    MaxPB said:

There's precedent in Home.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Artist said:

Pulpstar said:

Tory landslide on hold?
    Weren't IPSOS at the rubbish end of the Referendum pollsters?
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    MaxPB said:

I can see him mentoring some of the younger Tories for the next time around.

At this rate, however, that's Friday.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

FCO.

Education Sec would suit him best. Seems to be the area he is most passionate about, served briefly as shadow Ed Sec under Howard and wouldn't be one of the 'big beasts' in cabinet.

Douglas Home served as Foreign Sec under Heath, being the last PM to serve under another.
    Forgot about Home. I think the Foreign Office would suit Cameron. Certainly has the contacts.
  • Options
    The SNP really are tone-deaf aren't they.....on a day even Corbyn gets it right they let themselves down.....
  • Options
    Pauly said:

Pulpstar said:

LDEM: 11% (+2) Outlier here.

That poll is ridiculous, I hope it is not so...
    It is Ipsos Mori.... How wrong they were about the referendum.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited July 2016
    TOPPING said:

Dromedary said:

Green candidate Jill Stein's response to Bernie Sanders's endorsement of Hillary Clinton was "HillNo", "JillYes".

If Stein can win enough votes from some of Bernie Sanders's supporters, or enough support to get into the TV debates, it could be curtains for Clinton. Donald Trump's endorser Rupert Murdoch who owns Fox News could help. Maybe Trump and Stein will fight over climate change.

Mid price at Betfair for Trump has risen to 4.2.

The Green Party's convention comes after the Dem and Rep conventions.

You know the secret of great comedy, don't you. Same here on PB.
    Timing?

Are you saying it's not OK to talk in the comments about political betting topics that aren't related to the subject of the article? The US presidential election is the next big market. £16 million at Betfair already. But if I've committed a faux pas I'll shut up :)
  • Options

Don't choke on your quinoa, Corbyn fans, but @OwenSmith_MP is basically even money on Betfair to beat him.

Marco Rubio was 1.7 to beat Trump after Iowa too ;)
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    It's like the SNP is trying to be as inhumanly petty as possible.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

he's not though is he? he's even money to be next Labour leader which is a different market.
    When they price up a labour leadership election market Corbyn will be odds on I would assume.

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Chamberlain not only served under Churchill but probably in those dark days of 1940 made sure that the Churchill premiership survived until July. Without Chamberlain's support in cabinet it is likely that Halifax would have forced Churchill out and made peace with Hitler.

However, those were different days, different men who lived by different standards. Home, who served at the FCO under Heath, was probably the last of them.
  • Options
    Ken Clarke clearly in mourning for his beloved EU and looking very flushed at this time of day.
  • Options

Artist said:

Pulpstar said:

Tory landslide on hold?
    Yes. One of the worst. Phone pollster lulz.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

TOPPING said:

Dromedary said:

Green candidate Jill Stein's response to Bernie Sanders's endorsement of Hillary Clinton was "HillNo", "JillYes".

If Stein can win enough votes from some of Bernie Sanders's supporters, or enough support to get into the TV debates, it could be curtains for Clinton. Donald Trump's endorser Rupert Murdoch who owns Fox News could help. Maybe Trump and Stein will fight over climate change.

Timing?

Are you saying it's not OK to talk in the comments about political betting topics that aren't related to the subject of the article? The US presidential election is the next big market. £16 million at Betfair already.
    Comments on the US POTUS/DEM/GOP markets are ALWAYS more than welcome.

Alot of PBers are involved with these markets.

V nice first post btw. A big push from Jill Stein could indeed be just what Trump needs
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,582

Pulpstar said:

Been listening to much talk this morning about May's options for Brexit and suggestions that any deal must include reduced immigration. Surely before doing anything she should set up some sort of inquiry to establish whether immigration is actually too high, is actually keeping wages down, if public services are under pressure from immigration.

Otherwise we face forcing a government to set policy for the future of the UK, based not on known facts, but on the PERCEPTION of a proportion of the electorate.

Evidence based policy would be very welcome.

Incidentally Tony Rogers (Tony Benn's Chesterfield opponent) told me last night that May had knicked the worker on the board policy from the 1960s liberals !
    Yes...I recall it was a SDP policy back in the day
    Was a big part of the Liberal manifesto in 1974
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,716
    Jez applauding but not standing up
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    I'm welling up a little. I've had my beefs with David Cameron but it's such a shame it came to this. He has gone far too soon. He will be missed.
  • Options
    MontyHallMontyHall Posts: 226
    Corbyn stood and applauded
  • Options
    Brom said:

he's not though is he? he's even money to be next Labour leader which is a different market.
    When they price up a labour leadership election market Corbyn will be odds on I would assume.

@Pong matched Corbyn at 11-10, remarkably in that market.

@Pong knows his onions.
  • Options
    God, what have we done. Come back Dave.
  • Options
    MontyHall said:

Balls
  • Options
    How small minded of the SNP not too applaud. Shame.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

Imagine if he'd backed Leave...
    Leave would have won 60/40 and he'd be a national hero.

He'd always been a lucky general but it was one gamble too far.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,032
    What a lovely PMQs session (a couple of Scottish sourpusses excepted), David Cameron will be solely missed for his wit and humour at these sessions.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

Artist said:

Pulpstar said:

Tory landslide on hold?
    ICM, who had a much better Referendum, have the Conservatives leading 38-30%.

Most polling companies have the Conservatives and UKIP on 50%+, but Ipsos Mori always have them on c.45% or so.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Speaker Bercow applauded too.
  • Options
    Corbyn clapping.
  • Options
    MontyHall said:

No, he applauded, then stood up to leave..
  • Options
    I was the future once
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2016
    Damn, not such free money after all!

Edit: But maybe OK because Corbo didn't stand?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,541
    Dromedary said:

TOPPING said:

Dromedary said:

Timing?

Are you saying it's not OK to talk in the comments about political betting topics that aren't related to the subject of the article? The US presidential election is the next big market. £16 million at Betfair already. But if I've committed a faux pas I'll shut up :)
    Are you an SNP member by any chance?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Sandpit said:

What a lovely PMQs session (a couple of Scottish sourpusses excepted), David Cameron will be solely missed for his wit and humour at these sessions.

And a wonderful closing line.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    edited July 2016
    That was really rather good from Cameron.

The SNP MPs are miserable buggers.

Edited extra bit: Corbyn did a good job of asking serious questions whilst keeping things light.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MontyHall said:

Balls
    Not in the chamber. :D
  • Options
    SNP are just so miserable. Getting them off the TV would be one big benefit of independence.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited July 2016
    Pulpstar said:

MontyHall said:

Balls
    He clapped, then he stood up (to leave I think) whilst concluding his applause. He clearly wasn't giving a standing ovation. Might be a win-win.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    MaxPB said:

Indeed - he is the Tories' best bet for leader by far....
  • Options
    MontyHall said:

He didn't. He stood up and left mid applause.
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    edited July 2016
    MaxPB said:

They don't "get" that parliament is supposed to be a little club where greasy pole climbers can backslap each other across the benches.

Good. This appalling display of fawning over Cameron is a disgrace to democracy. An undeserved theatre show of praise for a man whose time in office has achieved virtually nothing of value.

Indeed, the SNP do not "get" that Parliament is theatre and not a legislature and despise that the British people are let down so badly by their elected representatives from the old, mainstream parties. They are right to find it disgusting, it is Britains greatest shame.
  • Options
    As head of the provisional wing of the continuity Cameron Army, time for me get very tired and emotional
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Very good final PMQs from Cameron (I missed Corbyn's part at the start). May vs Corbyn unlikely to be riveting TV in future.
  • Options
    Dearie me. The SNP have made arses of themselves today.

Miserable, petty and graceless.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,459
    We have just lost our best Statesman - He deserves to be respected and will become a wise counsellor
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464
    Pulpstar said:

First time LD have been above UKIP since Sept (also with Mori - in fact, Mori consistently reports much lower UKIP scores than other pollsters).
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

MaxPB said:

They don't get that parliament is supposed to be a little club where greasy pole climbers can backslap each other across the benches.

Good. This appalling display of fawning over Cameron is a disgrace to democracy. An undeserved theatre show of praise for a man whose time in office has achieved virtually nothing.

Indeed, the SNP do not "get" that Parliament is theatre and not a legislature and despite that the British people are let down so badly by their elected representatives from the old, mainstream parties. They are right to find it disgusting, it is Britains greatest shame.
    lol. Disgrace to democracy? Alright.
  • Options
    MontyHallMontyHall Posts: 226

MontyHall said:

No, he applauded, then stood up to leave..
    I think a tricky one as he stood up and was still applauding

In the spirit of the bet it should be paid out as not standing and applauding, but technically he did
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978

Very good final PMQs from Cameron (I missed Corbyn's part at the start). May vs Corbyn unlikely to be riveting TV in future.

I still think May will surprise a lot of people
  • Options

Sandpit said:

It was very good.
  • Options

I was the future once

Nicely full circle.
  • Options

As head of the provisional wing of the continuity Cameron Army, time for me get very tired and emotional

How would you rate Dave's chances of taking up a role in the Cabinet once May has settled in and stamped her authority? I'd like to see him in the foreign office.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    It is a shame that Clegg didn't get a chance to speak today - that would have been quite fitting
  • Options
    murali_s said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed - he is the Tories' best bet for leader by far....
    He could always come back, after May :D
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

MontyHall said:

Balls
    He clapped, then he stood up (to leave I think) whilst concluding his applause. He clearly wasn't giving a standing ovation. Might be a win-win.
    Sweating !
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    jonny83 said:

Pulpstar said:

If so, it reflects a view from the wwc that I heard when on my sojourn there recently. Vote leave to 'get the immigrants from taking our jobs', vote labour to 'get money put into services and benefits'. I did point out the dangers to the economy of that but having cake and eating it seems to be the order of the day. It is probably an outlier but there's good reason to think thar labour vote would hold up. Of course, a split would confuse that somewhat.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,950

GIN1138 said:

wtf...
    I supported Cameron for years.

I liked him a lot (on a personal level I still do) it's was just all this Brexit stuff that finished him off in my eye's but doesn't mean I don't recognise what a class act he is in the Commons.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    TOPPING said:

Dromedary said:

TOPPING said:

Dromedary said:

Timing?

Are you an SNP member by any chance?
    No - don't worry! English and Labour.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,486
    So on next Labour leader bets if Corbyn wins do bets for other people stand or are they treating this as a bit like when David Tennant regenerated into himself?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I'll miss him and many more will in the years to come.
  • Options
    Good last line. Once a PR man..

Corbyn had a reasonable go at it, too. Loved the exchange of emails received.

May's PMQs will not be so full of laughs, I suspect.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited July 2016
    ''We have just lost our best Statesman - He deserves to be respected and will become a wise counsellor''

The autobiography should be interesting. I can see you shelling out on a signed copy, Mr G.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

Sandpit said:

The "remarkably empty" diary at the start was laugh-out-loud funny, the tribute to Ken Clarke and "I was the future once" was funny but very poignant.

I am by no means a Cameroon but was in tears by the end. A little moment of history and very touching.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

How would you rate Dave's chances of taking up a role in the Cabinet once May has settled in and stamped her authority? I'd like to see him in the foreign office.
    I suspect once we've left the EU, he could do it.

The loonbag wing prior to us leaving would make Theresa May's life unbearable
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,541
    MaxPB said:

Don't worry.

We have swapped a consumate operator and Remainer, for a largely unknown one, not as adept as people wish she was (although ofc in a different street from Leadsom), and, moreover, one who was directly responsible for the failure of policy which led to Brexit in the first place.

Politics, eh?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,459
    taffys said:

''We have just lost our best Statesman - He deserves to be respected and will become a wise counsellor''

The autobiography should be interesting. I can see you shelling out on a signed copy, Mr G.

I hope he sends it to me
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited July 2016
    ToryJim said:

So on next Labour leader bets if Corbyn wins do bets for other people stand or are they treating this as a bit like when David Tennant regenerated into himself?

Check the market rules.

For most bookmakers, I expect the bets will stand and settle on the next permanent leader after corbyn.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,032

I was the future once

That was a great quote, revisited from his first PMQs against Blair in 2005.
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    The Opposition led by Cameron applauded Blair (but not Brown) out. Would they be giving him a standing ovation today?
  • Options
    That said Dave sounded like someone who wasn't planning to be an MP for much longer
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Give Dave the Education Secretary job. Keep him in the cabinet.
  • Options
    Good news - @Shadsy has paid out on "Not to stand and applaud."

No idea on the other side of the bet.
This discussion has been closed.