Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Welcome to a new era in the Conservative party: The post-Bu

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited July 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Welcome to a new era in the Conservative party: The post-Bullingdon period

One of my favourite quotes from the former CON leader, William Hague, is that the Tories are “an absolute monarchy, moderated by regicide”. For there’s no doubt about the level of power and influence the leader has over policy, preferment, and the whole direction of the party. Unlike Labour there is no powerful NEC to get in the way.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Primus Inter Pares?
  • Options
    adamandcatadamandcat Posts: 76
    Not first, Just like Labour from now on, sadly
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Gove making a big pitch to stay at Justice - see @DannyShawBBC's feed.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    edited July 2016
    The Conservative leadership structure is much cleaner (And better) than the Labour one.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    F1: my mid-season review is up here, including a quartet of spread betting suggestions:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/the-2016-mid-season-review.html

FPT: Misogyny now a hate crime:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-36775398

"Incidents against women that are motivated by an attitude of a man towards a woman and includes behaviour targeted towards a woman by men simply because they are a woman."

I wonder if the reverse (misandry) is covered too, but shan't be holding my breath. Intriguing we now have a crime only one gender can commit

Still not pleased about this aspect, though:
    "It means abuse or harassment which might not be a crime can be reported to and investigated by the police, and support for the victim put in place."

Things that aren't crimes shouldn't be investigated by the police. Someone being a tosser is unpleasant, but the police are there to enforce the law, not to try and make the world lovely.

If someone calls me a silly bitch in a Nottingham street, the police [according to this] would not do anything. If I were a woman, they would. That's just daft.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,264
    edited July 2016
    JohnO said:

Primus Inter Pares?

Shut up Boris, you've had your moment.
  • Options
    (((Dan Hodges))) ‏@DPJHodges 9m9 minutes ago
    Unless Corbyn and McCluskey can manage a stitch up to get those votes back I now think Corbyn will lose the leadership election.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Unless Corbyn and McCluskey can manage a stitch up to get those votes back I now think Corbyn will lose the leadership election.

Time to start backing him!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

F1: my mid-season review is up here, including a quartet of spread betting suggestions:

"Incidents against women that are motivated by an attitude of a man towards a woman and includes behaviour targeted towards a woman by men simply because they are a woman."

I wonder if the reverse (misandry) is covered too, but shan't be holding my breath. Intriguing we now have a crime only one gender can commit

"It means abuse or harassment which might not be a crime can be reported to and investigated by the police, and support for the victim put in place."

Things that aren't crimes shouldn't be investigated by the police. Someone being a tosser is unpleasant, but the police are there to enforce the law, not to try and make the world lovely.

If someone calls me a silly bitch in a Nottingham street, the police [according to this] would not do anything. If I were a woman, they would. That's just daft.

I seem to remember a Guardian article that indicated that women were responsible for over half of misogyny on the internet. I wonder how the law will deal with them...
  • Options

Is Sunderland going "remain" too ?
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    FPT:

Given Hodges' recent record, that means Corbyn will win the leadership election then.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    TGOHF said:

Gove has demonstrated that not only is he untrustworthy, buut that he confides in his wife, who is also untrustworthy. Or can be used to drop hints that Gove hoimself can’t.

I suspect that if he finds himself looking aftrer paperclips and odd socks he should count himself fortunate.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    MaxPB said:

I seem to remember a Guardian article that indicated that women were responsible for over half of misogyny on the internet. I wonder how the law will deal with them...
    I haven't seen anything to indicate that, but if it's true I wouldn't be surprised. Internalised misogyny is a real thing, and I've seen plenty of women online who blame the victim when it comes to rape.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

McDonnell has said he's not going to argue with NEC about the fixed deadline. So, either he's lying and there's a new twist afoot or he knows the votes are ok with existing members/supporters.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,746
    There's another aspect to May - she's from a slightly older generation than the Bullingdon boys - no 'effortless superiority' - just hard work....I wonder what her opinion of that clique is.........not very high, if I had to guess.....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

TGOHF said:

Gove has demonstrated that not only is he untrustworthy, buut that he confides in his wife, who is also untrustworthy. Or can be used to drop hints that Gove hoimself can’t.

I suspect that if he finds himself looking aftrer paperclips and odd socks he should count himself fortunate.
    Minister for Seabird Counting. Based in his office - on St. Kilda.... No phone, no internet. Post delivered once a year....
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    edited July 2016
    So, what is the eligibility for getting Labour leadership vote - can't find much info yet in a quick sweep, other than half stories in the papers. My £3 got me in very late in last year's election, but I suspect that has fallen by the wayside, and I never subsequently joined as a member, so I suspect it is £25 (or the equivalent reduced rate, if any) for me.

What is the £2 work around - is that something that relies on affiliated Union membership (in which case, I'm not going to be able to access that).
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Pulpstar said:

McDonnell has said he's not going to argue with NEC about the fixed deadline. So, either he's lying and there's a new twist afoot or he knows the votes are ok with existing members/supporters.
    Indeed, if the Corbyn camp were screaming about it today then we'd know that they don't have the numbers. That they aren't means they probably do, and with Unite doing some kind of £2 membership they will be able to push hard for entryists to win it for them.
  • Options

There's another aspect to May - she's from a slightly older generation than the Bullingdon boys - no 'effortless superiority' - just hard work....I wonder what her opinion of that clique is.........not very high, if I had to guess.....

Hmmm, not sure about all that hard work in the mid seventies. But, talking of effortless superiority, Damian was at least at Balliol.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    MaxPB said:

Public spanking?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466
    I see little evidence of a new era in that picture.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    lol, I see that BF now has a Lab winner market and that D. Miliband is a runner.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Indeed, if the Corbyn camp were screaming about it today then we'd know that they don't have the numbers. That they aren't means they probably do, and with Unite doing some kind of £2 membership they will be able to push hard for entryists to win it for them.
    Last night there was a view that Unite's £2 was a load of old crap, as affiliates have to have been in place for 12 months to vote.

As I said yesterday, somebody do a flowchart for all this nonsense. I really can't see how they can actually run an election when it is so unclear who can vote.

• Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    MaxPB said:

The decision of one police force to classify something as a hate crime means absolutely nothing. Their decision has no basis in law. They cannot create new laws. This is posturing of the worst sort.

Ignore and move on. Any attempt to prosecute on this basis will be thrown out by the CPS and if not them by the courts.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

TGOHF said:

Minister for Seabird Counting. Based in his office - on St. Kilda.... No phone, no internet. Post delivered once a year....
    With Boris as his companion?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

TGOHF said:

Gove and May are both one nation Tories, so perhaps Gove will become Minister for Thinking Important Thoughts, a bit like Oliver Letwin or Sir Keith Joseph.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Hmmm, not sure about all that hard work in the mid seventies. But, talking of effortless superiority, Damian was at least at Balliol.
    Definitely not the 'Magdalen Machine'......
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Pro_Rata said:

So, what is the eligibility for getting Labour leadership vote - can't find much info yet in a quick sweep, other than half stories in the papers. My £3 got me in very late in last year's election, but I suspect that has fallen by the wayside, and I never subsequently joined as a member, so I suspect it is £25 (or the equivalent reduced rate, if any) for me.

What is the £2 work around - is that something that relies on affiliated Union membership (in which case, I'm not going to be able to access that).

http://www.unitetheunion.org/growing-our-union/communitymembership/
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Is OK, the info I need is on the BBC Owen Smith story. Still interested in the £2 option - is it just a UNITE entryism deal, or are there other ways?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pro_Rata said:

Perfect, thanks.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    I see the Telegraph is tipping Leadsome, Rudd, Greening & Patel for promotions to or within the Cabinet and maybe Karen Bradley, a junior Home Office minister, and Margot James as well.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/12/women-to-make-up-half-of-cabinet-after-theresa-mays-reshuffle/
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    FPT:

As a matter of interest, who exactly does Piers Morgan favour to be the next Labour leader?
    Piers Morgan?
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

I don't think that will have any particular relevance to whether she is a better PM than Cameron. While she was the best and only choice for the Tory party to make, I think she will prove a better Cabinet Minister than PM. A tiny majority, a divided country, economic headwinds and the unsolvable nature of Brexit will be too much for any level of hard work to deal with.

• Options
    Why is #bloccotelephonico trending #innocentface #facepalm
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited July 2016
    If hunky dunky is back in the cabinet office, this could herald a new era of garish neckwear.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Pulpstar said:

Pro_Rata said:

Perfect, thanks.
    Glad to help. They also do a prepaid debit card with 6% cashback at certain retailers, which looks of interest should you wish...
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

lol, I see that BF now has a Lab winner market and that D. Miliband is a runner.

Yes, new market. There is an existing one that is for leader after Corbyn. Think I'll stay clear of new one.
  • Options

I see the Telegraph is tipping Leadsome, Rudd, Greening & Patel for promotions to or within the Cabinet and maybe Karen Bradley, a junior Home Office minister, and Margot James as well.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/12/women-to-make-up-half-of-cabinet-after-theresa-mays-reshuffle/

Basically the same story in the Times and the Guardian. Question is how far they'll go.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

In the bigger picture , did any minister do more to ensure TM won the leadership election than Gove ?

• Options
    Wanderer said:

I think he is great value at 20-1 *innocent face*
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261

Hopefully May will form her cabinet based on competence and who she feels is the right person for the job whether that is a man or woman, instead of merely an act of tokenism.
  • Options
    Mr. Max, I remember hearing that too. If today's piece is accurate, they simply won't be subject to the same standards as men when saying things or committing actions which are unpleasant but not illegal.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pro_Rata said:

No where in the list of benefits does it say anything about voting in Lab leadership.

This looks like a scam to me.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

JohnO said:

Primus Inter Pares?

Shut up Boris, you've had your moment.
    :lol:
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,987

Both Dan and the PLP believe they have find a combination / stitch up that works against Corbyn...

I really don't know how to break it to them but NO they haven't
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,488
    I changed my picture as I'm in mourning.

I'm hopeful at least one ex Bullingdon boy will be occupying a great office of state.

George for Foreign Secretary.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited July 2016

Basically the same story in the Times and the Guardian. Question is how far they'll go.
    Looks more like projection than reality so they can moan when it fails to materialise, May has never struck me as a women who’d favour gender over competence.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

JohnO said:

LoL, I just hope to goodness you're not Vivienne Dinham.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Pro_Rata said:

Join Unite for Free - can't find the weblink or become a Unite Community member for £2.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Pro_Rata said:

No where in the list of benefits does it say anything about voting in Lab leadership.

This looks like a scam to me.
    It's not a scam at all, and @ProRata can call them to find out the rules and so forth.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Tittle Tattle News ....

As Gove appeared before the Select Committee this morning there has been continuing furious activity by his remaining supporters to shore up his position.

I'm hearing it MAY be in vain.
  • Options

I'm hopeful at least one ex Bullingdon boy will be occupying a great office of state.

Hammond for Chancellor is my main hope.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

In the bigger picture , did any minister do more to ensure TM won the leadership election than Gove ?
    Law of Unintended Consequences!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Please no. We've had enough May, Hammond, Clarkson jokes...
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Hopefully May will form her cabinet based on competence and who she feels is the right person for the job whether that is a man or woman, instead of merely an act of tokenism.
    I'm sure that competence will be high on the new Prime Minister's criteria, just after rewarding her supporters, compensating powerful opponents and balancing the different wings of the party, oh, and sex, sexuality and ethnicity, and age of course: need to bring on a few young turks.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

His Ministerial post or the lack of one will confirm if those consequences are unintended or not
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Please no. We've had enough May, Hammond, Clarkson jokes...
    Pecunia non olet
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    I see Shadsy is offering free money:

Corbyn NOT to stand and applaud Cameron 1/2
  • Options
    I'd forgotten that Cameron's "calm down, dear" was aimed at Argclu.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Are you sure ?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,452
    This could be a very attractive approach (to me, at any rate): economically pragmatic, socially pragmatic, committed to some sort of Brexit, balanced between provincial and metropolitan. A little more in tune with the values and concerns of the middle 80%, while recognising the need not to leave the bottom 10% behind or lose the massive contributions the top 10% make.

Much of this is blank-slate projection, of course. It could all be a complete shambles. But I'll allow myself a little temporary optimism.
  • Options
    Pennsylvania .. Ohio .. Florida - Quinnipiac

PA - Clinton 41 .. Trump 43
    OH - Clinton 41 .. Trump 41
    FL - Clinton 39 .. Trump 42

http://www.qu.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/2016-presidential-swing-state-polls/release-detail?ReleaseID=2365
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

I hope so too, and I am fairly confident that there will be no promotions based solely on a person's gender - the work cabinet ministers will do is too important for the PM's chances of success for that to be the case. Of those mentioned in the article the only one that worries me is Amber Rudd, who I think is bloody useless.

If these reports are correct then the Cabinet will be very different from any we have seen before and all the better for its new make up.
  • Options
    Been listening to much talk this morning about May's options for Brexit and suggestions that any deal must include reduced immigration. Surely before doing anything she should set up some sort of inquiry to establish whether immigration is actually too high, is actually keeping wages down, if public services are under pressure from immigration.

Otherwise we face forcing a government to set policy for the future of the UK, based not on known facts, but on the PERCEPTION of a proportion of the electorate.
  • Options
    JackW said:

http://www.qu.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/2016-presidential-swing-state-polls/release-detail?ReleaseID=2365

:o
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    edited July 2016
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Isabel Oakeshott has written a fair and balanced piece on Mr Osborne for the Mail.

"The discredited Chancellor, who masterminded the catastrophic and shameful Project Fear campaign"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3687313/So-Theresa-really-rival-Osborne-plum-job-campaign-bully-frighten-nation-Project-Fear.html
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Very interesting thread header, Mike. Many thanks.

Good morning, everyone.
  • Options

Bloody Hell
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

jonny83 said:

I hope so too, and I am fairly confident that there will be no promotions based solely on a person's gender - the work cabinet ministers will do is too important for the PM's chances of success for that to be the case. Of those mentioned in the article the only one that worries me is Amber Rudd, who I think is bloody useless.

If these reports are correct then the Cabinet will be very different from any we have seen before and all the better for its new make up.
    If it is not based on gender, then there will be more women than men. The two exceptions are : Morgan and Loathsome.
  • Options

Isabel Oakeshott has written a fair and balanced piece on Mr Osborne for the Mail.

"The discredited Chancellor, who masterminded the catastrophic and shameful Project Fear campaign"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3687313/So-Theresa-really-rival-Osborne-plum-job-campaign-bully-frighten-nation-Project-Fear.html
    George or Gove would have been great leaders
  • Options
    Cookie said:

This could be a very attractive approach (to me, at any rate): economically pragmatic, socially pragmatic, committed to some sort of Brexit, balanced between provincial and metropolitan. A little more in tune with the values and concerns of the middle 80%, while recognising the need not to leave the bottom 10% behind or lose the massive contributions the top 10% make.

Much of this is blank-slate projection, of course. It could all be a complete shambles. But I'll allow myself a little temporary optimism.

I think we are entitled to a little bit of optimism. The stuff TM has been coming out with sounds pretty good to me too, the devil as always will be in the detail and her ability to get the policies developed and implemented. We shall see, but in the words of the song if you don't have a dream how can you make your dream come true.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    MaxPB said:

misogynist: man who hates women almost as much as they hate each other
  • Options

Bloody Hell
    £20 max.

On for £40 to win £18 in total on this bet now.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

I'm finding the prospect of PM May quite hopeful, and I'm by no means a Conservative-inclined person, not to mention being a Leaver.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    The Iraq one is probably most damaging. Speaking personally, his view in that article doesn't bother me that much, but I think it would bother most members I know.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Been listening to much talk this morning about May's options for Brexit and suggestions that any deal must include reduced immigration. Surely before doing anything she should set up some sort of inquiry to establish whether immigration is actually too high, is actually keeping wages down, if public services are under pressure from immigration.

Otherwise we face forcing a government to set policy for the future of the UK, based not on known facts, but on the PERCEPTION of a proportion of the electorate.

inquiries are for the weak.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

They're are in the ball park for Quinnipiac previous polls so not too much of a shock.
  • Options

Evidence based policy would be very welcome.

Incidentally Tony Rogers (Tony Benn's Chesterfield opponent) told me last night that May had knicked the worker on the board policy from the 1960s liberals !
  • Options

Corbyn will do what everyone else does -- has any previous PM been applauded by the Opposition, apart from Blair?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

And have you seen the numbers when Johnson and Stein are in the mix?

Something is definitely shifting, slowly, but in all the right places for Trump.

If the shift continues at the same rate, he's on course for victory...
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    I wouldn't say I am overly optimistic about May but she was clearly the best candidate available and the most experienced.

I don't think she will differ massively from Cameron policy wise though a clear pitch so far from her is that the government has to do more to make people from all across the country to feel financially better off. I think all governments would like to try and do that but it is easier said than done.

She must be heading into one of the most difficult periods a PM will have ever faced, it could easily destroy her but if she can find a way through it and the UK prospers her standing will skyrocket and soar.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    PlatoSaid said:

Pro_Rata said:

Join Unite for Free - can't find the weblink or become a Unite Community member for £2.

You still can't vote.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Incidentally Tony Rogers (Tony Benn's Chesterfield opponent) told me last night that May had knicked the worker on the board policy from the 1960s liberals !
    Yes...I recall it was a SDP policy back in the day
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Yes...I recall it was a SDP policy back in the day
    It's a major part of German employment law. It also contributes to the death of trade unions.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Enquiries are for the weak.

Crazy conclusion - so we should scrap serious case reviews in cases of child abuse...is that weak?

What a muppet
  • Options
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

LoL, I just hope to goodness you're not Vivienne Dinham.
    That could explain a lot......but no!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Are you sure ?
    High risk strategy if not, surely.
  • Options
    Blimey, someone has managed to back Jezza at 11-10 for the contest !
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Pulpstar said:

The Conservative leadership structure is much cleaner (And better) than the Labour one.

A structure is only as effective as the people filling it. Labour's problem isn't the structure as such but that the leader isn't prepared to accept the culture around which it's designed. The Conservatives had a parallel problem from 1989-2003 when no leader was secure for more than a few months. Both systems require self-restraint among leaders and among the led and break down if either side becomes too forceful or too stubborn.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Pulpstar said:

I got a tenner on at 2.18
  • Options
    JenSJenS Posts: 91
    Osborne was a day-boy at a London school, housed in a hideous concrete pre-fab built on the site of a filled-in reservoir by Hammersmith Bridge. It's odd he was in the Bullingdon. But those clubs do sometimes let in clever boys for entertainment. :wink:
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

A structure is only as effective as the people filling it. Labour's problem isn't the structure as such but that the leader isn't prepared to accept the culture around which it's designed. The Conservatives had a parallel problem from 1989-2003 when no leader was secure for more than a few months. Both systems require self-restraint among leaders and among the led and break down if either side becomes too forceful or too stubborn.
    Motions of confidence are binding in the case of both the Lib Dems and Conservatives, quite amazing Labour didn't have this in their rules.
  • Options
    Trump moving in on BF.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited July 2016
    FPT
    eek said:

Remember most people won't fill in the form correctly to transfer their vote to the other none-Corbyn candidate...

I think more people will than won't.

I'm happy to frame a bet around this proposition if you're interested?
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, indeed. Labour appear incapable of running the Labour Party.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Owen Smith is trading evens => laying him would give you pretty much the same result. It would cover you against an Eagle victory but expose you to a Smith victory in a year's time or thereafter
  • Options
    Pong said:

FPT

eek said:

Assuming that Corbyn gets less than 50% on the first ballot, will Eagle or Smith be eliminated at the first ballot?

If Eagle eliminated first would her second votes go to Smith or Corbyn?

If Smith eliminated first would his second votes go to Eagle or Corbyn?

3 candidates in this election and Corbyn wins on anything above 42% in the first round...

Remember most people won't fill in the form correctly to transfer their vote to the other none-Corbyn candidate...
    I think this time, they will.
    Smith will get most Eagle transfers I think - but Eagle will not get all Smith transfers. In order for Jez to lose, Smith needs to finish ahead of Eagle.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Anyone thinking of backing Angela Eagle in the Labour leadership election needs to remember the longest trend ever in political betting-UK Labour has never elected a woman leader.Add her past voting record and the key vote to support the Iraq war,she really is weighed down.I expect her to stand down for a straight Smith v Corbyn contest.
    BTW AWS is the only way Labour will ever elect a woman leader.Labour has a number of "systemics",one of which is bias against women.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited July 2016

Good morning all.

Yes, agree with this. Is it the absolute number, the skills mix, the geographic concentration?

We've had an almost unquestioning attitude that immigration is a net good, is necessary and (due to global trends) unavoidable. That high level macro-economic view hasn't served us all very well in practice.

We need to take the emotion out of the topic and look at it forensically.
This discussion has been closed.