Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Welcome to a new era in the Conservative party: The post-Bu

Comments

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    JackW said:

When can we expect to see the May Cabinet line up?

The BBC reporting that May will be PM by early evening and I'd expect she will announce the big beast jobs tonight.
    Why are political bigwigs called "big beasts"? It seems a very odd term.

• Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/753201115978567680

Bercow gave a standing ovation too, it looks like? I was listening on Five Live rather than watching and had to switch off as soon as it finished...
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    @edmorrish:

Hi @IsabelOakeshott I have a photo of Theresa May at university sticking her tits into a leopard, please DM for details.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    JackW said:

Rexel56 said:

Not calling Farron was poor form...

Simply a reflection of the LibDem much weaker status in the Commons. Farron gets a question about every 3 or 4 PMQ's.

That said perhaps Clegg might have been called just before the final question from Ken Clark
    Was the leader of the DUP called?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464

JackW said:

The BBC reporting that May will be PM by early evening and I'd expect she will announce the big beast jobs tonight.

It's a 'political jungle' reference.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

TOPPING said:

jonny83 said:

Sounds like their friendship is very much over.
    Very much so.
    And trouble for Cameron's successors, I reckon. Gove'll always have the ear of the Conservative hardcore leavers and the TINOs for whom the EU supersedes all other matters of government.
    He has proven himself a) disloyal; and b) incompetent.

Are you sure he will hold such sway in the Conservative Party in future?
    Major was brought down by the bas**rds, who were both disloyal and incompetent. Some of the same faces featured again in the EU referendum.

They're bound to warm to Gove.

(Although I'm not sure he was incompetent: I think he may have got the result he wanted, or at least he can live with).
    Mr Major's intervention in the Referendum campaign was a low point for Project Fear.
    I'd a lot of respect for Major for having guts over his various woes et al - and read his autobiog twice. He even signed my copy!

My view of him collapsed during the referendum campaign. He was just insulting and for what point? I expected a great deal more of him. Not as awful as Heseltine, but still very poor.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

JackW said:

Vicious predators? Dinosaurs?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

Dirty sleazy kippers on the slide...

The curse of Plato .. :naughty:
    She has moved to the right of the kippers now floating somewhere near the League of Empire Loyalists.
    All joshing aside - my politics haven't changed. I feel more in common with Gisela than May. Staying in the Tories doesn't fit and I'm happy to be honest about it.

Ted Heath meet EdM doesn't fit my vision of a successful future.
    Yeah, right.
    Aside from the "EU headbangers", don't underestimate the dissatisfaction of some Tory members/voters/leaners with the idea of an authoritarian, managerialist Conservative government with a social democratic agenda. This doesn't appeal to those on the small-l "live and let live" liberal or libertarian side, those who prefer their creatively destructive capitalism red in tooth and claw, or even just those who are skeptical of the power of bureaucracy and state intervention to improve lives in the intended manner. This is not a huge chunk of the electorate, and they don't have an obvious alternative home to go to. But they may find themselves reduced to reluctant Tory voters holding their noses at the ballot box, and certainly not have great incentive to be a member or activist.
    Oh, indeed. Yet we don't know yet what May's policy platform or premiership will be like.

Instead, people are judging her on farcical 'she was a remainer' criteria.
    Remain/Leave is going to cast a shadow over all our current MPs. Quite right too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07ldrbk
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Why is Sarah Wollaston a Tory? What does she believe in apart from the NHS? What makes her a Conservative?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,584
    edited July 2016

PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

She has moved to the right of the kippers now floating somewhere near the League of Empire Loyalists.
    All joshing aside - my politics haven't changed. I feel more in common with Gisela than May. Staying in the Tories doesn't fit and I'm happy to be honest about it.

Yeah, right.
    Aside from the "EU headbangers", don't underestimate the dissatisfaction of some Tory members/voters/leaners with the idea of an authoritarian, managerialist Conservative government with a social democratic agenda. This doesn't appeal to those on the small-l "live and let live" liberal or libertarian side, those who prefer their creatively destructive capitalism red in tooth and claw, or even just those who are skeptical of the power of bureaucracy and state intervention to improve lives in the intended manner. This is not a huge chunk of the electorate, and they don't have an obvious alternative home to go to. But they may find themselves reduced to reluctant Tory voters holding their noses at the ballot box, and certainly not have great incentive to be a member or activist.
    Oh, indeed. Yet we don't know yet what May's policy platform or premiership will be like.

I thought that being reluctant and holding the nose as their government tacks to the centre was the anointed role of party activists? Tories in particular cannot complain, since it is the inevitable (and arguably intended) consequence of the voting system they always defend.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,926
    edited July 2016
    Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

Brom said:

Jo Maugham QC ‏@JolyonMaugham 5m5 minutes ago
    Don't choke on your quinoa, Corbyn fans, but @OwenSmith_MP is basically even money on Betfair to beat him.

he's not though is he? he's even money to be next Labour leader which is a different market.
    When they price up a labour leadership election market Corbyn will be odds on I would assume.

@Pong matched Corbyn at 11-10, remarkably in that market.

@Pong knows his onions.
    I don't have any inside info on this, but my hunch is JC at evens or above is good value - and I've taken a moderate position.

I treat my own hunches with caution, though!

I need to get my head around who the competitive selectorate thing will favour, and the extent of the advantage.

Definitely doesn't favour Corbyn.

Most of £3ers will not be paying £25 IMO

I am pessimistic about Jezza after the "when is a member not a member when they joined after mid January" rule and the £25 thing.

Hearing moves to stop affiliates sign up loop hole too.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,852
    PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

jonny83 said:

Very much so.

Gove is plainly psychotic. Probably not someone you could very easily have a long-term friendship with.

I think that's completely over the top as a verdict. I've met many Michael Goves in my time, particularly in Cheltenham. Highly intelligent people who think that the mere fact they are 'right' trumps everything else. As anyone who's dealt with politics, corporate or otherwise, will tell you, being right doesn't necessarily win you either friends or allies.
    I read an article just after Gove came out for Leave, and it said he'd been enormously loyal to Cameron - and gained little back.

He swallowed the ignominy of being shuffled from Education to Whip's Office with good grace and always offered total support for Cameron.

Finally it went a step too far re Brexit - so binned the doormat behaviour and went for it.
    Prior to the referendum, I had Gove down as an incompetent, who nevertheless had his heart in the right place. His move out of Education simply reflected the mess he was making of it, despite being unusually committed to education at high standards for everyone. The referendum showed him to be utterly dishonest and untrustworthy to boot. I admit that was a discovery for me.

So there you have it: dishonest, untrustworthy and incompetent. Gove doesn't have much going for him.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Sandpit said:

I was the future once

That was a great quote, revisited from his first PMQs against Blair in 2005.
    Though just listening to 5Live replay that first exchange and Dave is wrong. He didn't say "I am the future", he told Blair: " But I want to talk about the future. He was the future once".
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Ishmael_X said:

Danny565 said:

jonny83 said:

Cameron led by example and got his party to partake in a standing ovation for Blair, will Corbyn do that? If Corbyn and his closest comrades sit down and the Lab backbenchers stand up it would look very bad, though I doubt Corbyn cares.

Whether people liked or disliked Blair, does anyone really deny that he was a much more "impactful" PM than Cameron has been?
    I don't usually think of people as "impactful", but if I had to give the label to somebody it would probably be Edward John Smith, RD, RNR (27 January 1850 – 15 April 1912).
    The poor bastard wasn't even on the bridge at the time...
    No, but the ship was still sailing under his orders i.e. too fast in an area known to contain icebergs.
    Standard procedure for the time. And he had altered course. Just not enough. The bergs were unusually far south that year.
    He still knew there were bergs about and that they'd be difficult to spot but carried on anyway.
    Standard procedure. The berg that the Titanic struck was probably unusually dark (it may have turned over recently).

If the ship had contacted the berg is just about any other way than she actually did, she may well have steamed into New York. Incredible bad luck. And a whole chain of bad luck.

You can't blame one man for it. If blame lies anywhere it's with asshats in Parliament who thought they could devise a smarter safety formula than "lifeboats for all"...
    I certainly wouldn't blame one man for it - but by the same token, I wouldn't absolve the captain simply because others ran similar risks or because others were at fault for insufficient lifeboat capacity.

You could argue that had the maths been done correctly, Andrews would have realised that she needed a bigger rudder.
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    nunu said:

JackW said:

Rexel56 said:

Not calling Farron was poor form...

Simply a reflection of the LibDem much weaker status in the Commons. Farron gets a question about every 3 or 4 PMQ's.

That said perhaps Clegg might have been called just before the final question from Ken Clark
    Was the leader of the DUP called?
    No but the UUP MP was called, so Northern Ireland was represented. I did find it strange that Clegg wasn't called, I wonder why not, given his importance in Cameron's governance.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,237

PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

Yeah, right.

Remain/Leave is going to cast a shadow over all our current MPs. Quite right too.

Wrong IMO.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

From Spain - as my Cs contact in Barcelona told me last night: they will abstain on a second vote for the inauguration of Rajoy as PM. That means a minority PP government heavily dependent on Cs support, but no coalition.

1. DC - a total class act today. I'm content with TM as PM but she's gonna need to be good to match him.

2. Re: Spain - very interesting and probably an OK outcome. Maybe Rajoy will now get invited to the F/G/I summit in August.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    nunu said:

Why is Sarah Wollaston a Tory? What does she believe in apart from the NHS? What makes her a Conservative?

i think we saw during the referendum she only believes in bettering herself
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Scott_P said:

@robfordmancs: Oppo ldr ratings after 10 mths:
    Foot - 32
    Kinnock -7
    Smith +1
    Blair +29
    Hague -16
    IDS - 9
    Howard -15
    Cameron -1
    Ed M -7

Corbyn -41

Corbyn is a record holder

So Corbyn has the worst ratings of any opposition leader in modern political history. Wow.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

Yeah, right.
    Spot on.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    PlatoSaid said:

I read an article just after Gove came out for Leave, and it said he'd been enormously loyal to Cameron - and gained little back.

He swallowed the ignominy of being shuffled from Education to Whip's Office with good grace and always offered total support for Cameron.

Finally it went a step too far re Brexit - so binned the doormat behaviour and went for it.

Just to float a little conspiracy theory for the fun of it . There was at one time a suspicion that Gove moving to Leave was part of a deep laid plan to ensure the Cameroon succession regardless of the result. Perhaps once at Leave he couldn't help but get the bit between his teeth rather more than Dave would have liked, but he was always an outer. Did Gove knife Boris to ensure the succession to May, also a Team Cameron player. If Gove gets a rather better job than we might expect in the new administration, we could wonder why.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Ishmael_X said:

Danny565 said:

jonny83 said:

Cameron led by example and got his party to partake in a standing ovation for Blair, will Corbyn do that? If Corbyn and his closest comrades sit down and the Lab backbenchers stand up it would look very bad, though I doubt Corbyn cares.

Whether people liked or disliked Blair, does anyone really deny that he was a much more "impactful" PM than Cameron has been?
    I don't usually think of people as "impactful", but if I had to give the label to somebody it would probably be Edward John Smith, RD, RNR (27 January 1850 – 15 April 1912).
    The poor bastard wasn't even on the bridge at the time...
    No, but the ship was still sailing under his orders i.e. too fast in an area known to contain icebergs.
    Standard procedure for the time. And he had altered course. Just not enough. The bergs were unusually far south that year.
    He still knew there were bergs about and that they'd be difficult to spot but carried on anyway.
    Standard procedure. The berg that the Titanic struck was probably unusually dark (it may have turned over recently).

If the ship had contacted the berg is just about any other way than she actually did, she may well have steamed into New York. Incredible bad luck. And a whole chain of bad luck.

You can't blame one man for it. If blame lies anywhere it's with asshats in Parliament who thought they could devise a smarter safety formula than "lifeboats for all"...
    I certainly wouldn't blame one man for it - but by the same token, I wouldn't absolve the captain simply because others ran similar risks or because others were at fault for insufficient lifeboat capacity.

You could argue that had the maths been done correctly, Andrews would have realised that she needed a bigger rudder.
    Talking about ships out of Liverpool getting into a little difficulty:
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/passenger-evacuated-sinking-mersey-ferry-11595264
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,159

Faisal Islam - Every day of Cameron's Premiership saw on average more than 1,000 jobs were created.

This is one of those stupid politics phrasings that make politics people gradually sound weirder and weirder until the entire government has to be sacked and replaced with new people to make them cut it out. You don't need to say "every day" when you're talking about an average, the whole point of an average is that it covers all the days. A bunch of the days will be below average, so all it can do is confuse people.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

Yeah, right.

Why should this Remain/Leave continue to cast a shadow and why should it be a good thing? There was a debate and a vote. Continuing to classify people over what side they took in the vote is to continue to look back and that cannot be healthy or useful.
  • Options
    MontyHallMontyHall Posts: 226
    Pulpstar said:

Good news - @Shadsy has paid out on "Not to stand and applaud."

No idea on the other side of the bet.

Fair play. Would be annoyed if on other side of the bet though. He did applaud while not seated
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

jonny83 said:

Very much so.

Gove is plainly psychotic. Probably not someone you could very easily have a long-term friendship with.

I think that's completely over the top as a verdict. I've met many Michael Goves in my time, particularly in Cheltenham. Highly intelligent people who think that the mere fact they are 'right' trumps everything else. As anyone who's dealt with politics, corporate or otherwise, will tell you, being right doesn't necessarily win you either friends or allies.

Hmmm - so for Gove loyalty is a bargain for which you get things back. No thank you.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

Pulpstar said:

jonny83 said:

Pulpstar said:

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 5m5 minutes ago
    Westminster voting intention:
    CON: 36% (+1)
    LAB: 35% (+1)
    LDEM: 11% (+2) Winning here.
    UKIP: 8% (-2)
    GRN: 4% (-)
    (via Ipsos Mori / 09 - 11 Jul)

Labour on 35% no freaking way.
    It's a midterm poll. Labour should be in the lead.

But quite decent considering some people here think they might drop to sub 100 seats (I maintain they will end up with ~ 200)
    The important stat is that govt approval is -45, which i think is worse than anything under the coalition (and pretty revealing, along with Cameron's rating, that the public have no great love for the Tories at the moment). Under Miliband, Labour was about 10% clear against similar govt approval figures - albeit that the figures aren't quite comparable as there'll be an inclination for LDs to disapprove now when they were more likely to approve in govt.
    While correct in that -45 probably is lower than anything in 2010-2015, I can find a - 44 in 2013 and several in the -40s in 2012. It's not massively outside of recent experience.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    MontyHall said:

Pulpstar said:

Good news - @Shadsy has paid out on "Not to stand and applaud."

No idea on the other side of the bet.

Fair play. Would be annoyed if on other side of the bet though. He did applaud while not seated
    That side might have paid out too, wasn't on it so not sure.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Foot - 32
    Kinnock -7
    Smith +1
    Blair +29
    Hague -16
    IDS - 9
    Howard -15
    Cameron -1
    Ed M -7

Corbyn -41

So Corbyn has the worst ratings of any opposition leader in modern political history. Wow.
    I like graphs!

https://image.slidesharecdn.com/ipsosmoripoliticalmonitorjuly2016-160713102715/95/ipsos-mori-political-monitor-july-2016-8-638.jpg?cb=1468406275
  • Options
    edited July 2016

PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

Yeah, right.

Wrong IMO.
    It casts a shadow over some politicians, of which zero are probably in the next Gov't.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

Yeah, right.

Why should this Remain/Leave continue to cast a shadow and why should it be a good thing? There was a debate and a vote. Continuing to classify people over what side they took in the vote is to continue to look back and that cannot be healthy or useful.
    Because the question was where should our laws be made? Remain MPs wanted the UK to be ruled from Brussels. Impervious to UK voters.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Oh dear... Sky News keeping saying Maria Eagle is challenging for the Labour Leadership

When a major news network can't remember who Angela Eagle is then it is clear that she really hasn't made any impact....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

Yeah, right.

Wrong IMO.
    It casts a shadow over some politicians, of which zero are probably in the next Gov't.
    Things will move on: there will be new battles and positions on the EU will be forgotten.

Except with TINO EU headbangers.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135

Faisal Islam - Every day of Cameron's Premiership saw on average more than 1,000 jobs were created.

This is one of those stupid politics phrasings that make politics people gradually sound weirder and weirder until the entire government has to be sacked and replaced with new people to make them cut it out. You don't need to say "every day" when you're talking about an average, the whole point of an average is that it covers all the days. A bunch of the days will be below average, so all it can do is confuse people.
    i’m not sure about what these figues actually mean. Seems unleikely that figures bandied about so freely by the Government are wholly true. Do they mean n000 new jobs? or n000 off the JSA list. In which case they might include the self-employed just about struggling along. For example.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Oh dear... Sky News keeping saying Maria Eagle is challenging for the Labour Leadership

When a major news network can't remember who Angela Eagle is then it is clear that she really hasn't made any impact....

Bound to happen, that’s the trouble with having two sisters in the same party – brothers too.
  • Options
    (((Dan Hodges)))Verified account
    @DPJHodges
    Labour source tells me he now estimates freeze date decision has cost Corbyn 180,000 votes.

Cant see how Jezza wins if that is the case
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Unless Maria is having a go too. After all it worked really well for the Millibands!
  • Options

A not insignificant number of Tory supporters felt that Dave but for his background would have been a natural Orange Book LD, he and Clegg we so conspicuously on the same page about so many things during the coalition and since. Those members and others are going to be even less impressed should the new administration turn out to be even more Blairite. I rather suspect the Kippers are going to try and emulate the LDs and be old labour statists in the North, and libertarians in the shires, with a broad appeal to both groups on the grounds of nationalism and patriotism.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,893

kle4 said:

Misogyny now a hate crime:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-36775398

"Incidents against women that are motivated by an attitude of a man towards a woman and includes behaviour targeted towards a woman by men simply because they are a woman."

I wonder if the reverse (misandry) is covered too, but shan't be holding my breath. Intriguing we now have a crime only one gender can commit

Still not pleased about this aspect, though:
    "It means abuse or harassment which might not be a crime can be reported to and investigated by the police, and support for the victim put in place."

Things that aren't crimes shouldn't be investigated by the police. Someone being a tosser is unpleasant, but the police are there to enforce the law, not to try and make the world lovely.

If someone calls me a silly bitch in a Nottingham street, the police [according to this] would not do anything. If I were a woman, they would. That's just daft.

What will be interesting is the first time a woman gets charged for a mysogynist offence!

Totally agree on police not investigating non crimes. If they are there to enforce good behaviour, not just prevent or catch criminal behaviour, they are moral police not just police.
    I am a little sceptical of the whole concept of "hate crimes", but this one may well prove useful at controlling the misbehaviour of the sort seen in some European cities. Far better than women only carriages.
    Speaking as somebody in Notts, the Notts police *are* just daft on some things. At a guess, it is probably the Chief Constable.

So a woman committing a "crime" of woman-hatred is not guilty of the same offence as a man. Morons.

A couple of years ago they were trolling schools with the idea that 17-18 year old couples exchanging the wrong kind of selfies were publishing child pornography.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    I just realised something startling. I'm rooting for Corbyn. Rubbish vicious useless old trot Corbyn, still I want him to prevail over the hideous gronks the PLP are sharting onto the leadership ballot.
  • Options

@DPJHodges
    Labour source tells me he now estimates freeze date decision has cost Corbyn 180,000 votes.

Think, if nobody quoted Dan Hodges maybe he would eventually go away...
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987

Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

Brom said:

Don't choke on your quinoa, Corbyn fans, but @OwenSmith_MP is basically even money on Betfair to beat him.

he's not though is he? he's even money to be next Labour leader which is a different market.
    When they price up a labour leadership election market Corbyn will be odds on I would assume.

@Pong knows his onions.
    I don't have any inside info on this, but my hunch is JC at evens or above is good value - and I've taken a moderate position.

I need to get my head around who the competitive selectorate thing will favour, and the extent of the advantage.

I am pessimistic about Jezza after the "when is a member not a member when they joined after mid January" rule and the £25 thing.

The Blairite, red Tory scum are certainly on the affiliate loopholes. But whether they will be able to close them all if another matter. That said, you don't have to be a Corbyn cultist to use them.

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,159
    Slightly dated thing on Theresa May deporting 48,000 people because of pseudo-science.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/theresa-may-wrongly-deported-48000-students-after-bbc-panorama-exposes-toeic-scam-a6958286.html

Basically Panorama did a thing on dodgy security at ETS [1] test centers, resulting in the government delisting or threatening to delist (can't remember) their tests as qualifications for visas. So ETS say, "That's OK, we can catch cheaters retrospectively, using *technology*". They then made up some bullshit about their algorithms recognising cheaters' voices or whatever, went back through the old tests and gave the Home Office a list of names. The Home Office said, "Sounds legit" and deported tens of thousands of people based on ETS's random number generator or whatever it was.

Anyhow if rcs1000 or somebody else with a British technology startup wants to make some money, try turning CrowdScores into crowd-sourced AI IoT blockchain-driven illegal immigrant detector or something. Doesn't matter what it does, as long as it deports people and has algorithms.

[1] I'm not sure if this is still true but allegedly ETS used to be the second-most most profitable non-profit organization in the world, after the Catholic church.
  • Options
    Brom said:

@DPJHodges

Think, if nobody quoted Dan Hodges maybe he would eventually go away...
    If Corbyn wins despite the freeze date decision there is going to be egg on a whole lot of faces.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited July 2016

PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

Yeah, right.

Some people may be, but I haven't seen a lot of "judging her on farcical 'she was a remainer' criteria", as you put it.

Her "Britain that works for everyone" speech combined Ted Heath with Ed Miliband, at least in tone and objectives. We don't know what that will translate to in terms of policy positions - we all remember how well "where there is discord, may we bring harmony" turned out - but it was enough to tick off a plenty of (neo)liberal right-wingers. And the omens from her time in the Home Office are not good from that perspective. She's had a pretty authoritarian approach there. She's also shown all the signs of being a technocrat - in the sense of believing there are technological and managerial approaches to resculpting society, rather than in the sense of her being supremely technically (rather than politically) competent. If you're an anti-managerialist, then all the warning flags are there.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Scott_P said:

Foot - 32
    Kinnock -7
    Smith +1
    Blair +29
    Hague -16
    IDS - 9
    Howard -15
    Cameron -1
    Ed M -7

Corbyn -41

I like graphs!

https://image.slidesharecdn.com/ipsosmoripoliticalmonitorjuly2016-160713102715/95/ipsos-mori-political-monitor-july-2016-8-638.jpg?cb=1468406275
    Wow at the downwards trend of that red-line.

OT, it's kind of sad Cameron's premiership has ended like this. It feels like it's been cut short well before it's sell-by-date. I agree it would have been interesting to hear from Nick Clegg as well.

@bigjohnowls Don't worry. I don't think Dan Hodges has any 'Labour sources' - unless you account for the voices inside his head as 'sources'. Jezza will still win.
  • Options
    Having got 2010-2015 broadly correct, especially when covering Milibantz, what's Dan Hodges done wrong in the last year?

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited July 2016

@DPJHodges

Calm down, BJO.

There are several hundred thousand Corbyn supporters throughout the country who will do everything they can to get a vote.

They'll pay £25 without blinking.

They're far more organised, better connected and more able to take advantage of a short voter registration window than any *saving labour* type operation.

Advantage Corbyn, IMO.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,548
    Just listening to WatO some extremely distressed woman on the NEC. What on earth is going on in the Labour Party??

@Dromedary?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Foot - 32
    Kinnock -7
    Smith +1
    Blair +29
    Hague -16
    IDS - 9
    Howard -15
    Cameron -1
    Ed M -7

Corbyn -41

Blairs net ratings were worse in July 2006 though exactly 10 years ago according to OGH

"Corbyn's net @IpsosMORI satisfaction rating low of -42% is better than the -44% that Blair saw in July 2006"
  • Options

@DPJHodges

@bigjohnowls This is Dan Hodges.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

I just realised something startling. I'm rooting for Corbyn. Rubbish vicious useless old trot Corbyn, still I want him to prevail over the hideous gronks the PLP are sharting onto the leadership ballot.

Only the PLP could make Corbyn look like the Messiah by comparison.
  • Options

Unless Maria is having a go too. After all it worked really well for the Millibands!
    No. They were showing clips of the 'clean campaign' pledge and calling Angela Maria - at least 3 times in 15 minutes.
  • Options
    Pong said:

@DPJHodges

Calm down, BJO.

There are several hundred thousand Corbyn supporters throughout the country who will do everything they can to get a vote.

They'll pay £25 without blinking.
    Our household has secured 4 so far!!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,719

Scott_P said:

Foot - 32
    Kinnock -7
    Smith +1
    Blair +29
    Hague -16
    IDS - 9
    Howard -15
    Cameron -1
    Ed M -7

Corbyn -41

Blairs net ratings were worse in July 2006 though exactly 10 years ago according to OGH

"Corbyn's net @IpsosMORI satisfaction rating low of -42% is better than the -44% that Blair saw in July 2006"
    Comparing apples with crappy android phones, there's a difference between a PM of nine years and a LOTO less than one year into the job.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

... we all remember how well "where there is discord, may we bring harmony" turned out..

It turned out extremely well. The UK pre-Thatcher was a cesspit of class divide, industrial intimidation, strikes, demarcation disputes, 'flying pickets', and Them vs Us in the workplace. All was peace and harmony when she left office.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    I'll echo the comments that others have made about wanting to hear from someone like Clegg during PMQ's. The guy worked closely with Cameron for 5 years and I do have a lot of time for Clegg a man that put the country ahead of his party which Cameron acknowledges and praises this. I actually think that coalition government was rather good.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Foot - 32
    Kinnock -7
    Smith +1
    Blair +29
    Hague -16
    IDS - 9
    Howard -15
    Cameron -1
    Ed M -7

Corbyn -41

I wouldn't compare PM ratings with LotO ratings - the latter tend to be much higher as you've not really done anything yet.

Apples with pears.

I thought someone was going to write a post on historical ratings and the patters.

What's funny is that Cameron bows out on a record low. And its still higher than Corbyn.

ouch.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,044
    Indigo said:

PlatoSaid said:

Just to float a little conspiracy theory for the fun of it . There was at one time a suspicion that Gove moving to Leave was part of a deep laid plan to ensure the Cameroon succession regardless of the result. Perhaps once at Leave he couldn't help but get the bit between his teeth rather more than Dave would have liked, but he was always an outer. Did Gove knife Boris to ensure the succession to May, also a Team Cameron player. If Gove gets a rather better job than we might expect in the new administration, we could wonder why.
    Gove certainly did the job he had to do the other week, that of keeping Boris out of the race. He deserves to be kept on for his efforts in ensuring a smooth handover to a safe pair of hands, without the months of uncertainly of a prolonged campaign.

AIUI he's doing a good job at Justice, he could stay there to continue his reforms or could lead a Home Office remerged with the Justice brief.
  • Options

Slightly dated thing on Theresa May deporting 48,000 people because of pseudo-science.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/theresa-may-wrongly-deported-48000-students-after-bbc-panorama-exposes-toeic-scam-a6958286.html

Basically Panorama did a thing on dodgy security at ETS [1] test centers, resulting in the government delisting or threatening to delist (can't remember) their tests as qualifications for visas. So ETS say, "That's OK, we can catch cheaters retrospectively, using *technology*". They then made up some bullshit about their algorithms recognising cheaters' voices or whatever, went back through the old tests and gave the Home Office a list of names. The Home Office said, "Sounds legit" and deported tens of thousands of people based on ETS's random number generator or whatever it was.

Anyhow if rcs1000 or somebody else with a British technology startup wants to make some money, try turning CrowdScores into crowd-sourced AI IoT blockchain-driven illegal immigrant detector or something. Doesn't matter what it does, as long as it deports people and has algorithms.

[1] I'm not sure if this is still true but allegedly ETS used to be the second-most most profitable non-profit organization in the world, after the Catholic church.

This is precisely the kind of thing I mean when I point out that May has been getting stick as a technocratic, managerialist authoritarian. "Remainer" is not the foremost of her problem, for many people.
  • Options

Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

Brom said:

@Pong knows his onions.

The Blairite, red Tory scum are certainly on the affiliate loopholes. But whether they will be able to close them all if another matter. That said, you don't have to be a Corbyn cultist to use them.

True.

Still undemocratic to freeze out some poor Labour Remainer who has been a member since January working his butt off through the Referndum IMO
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Scott_P said:

Foot - 32
    Kinnock -7
    Smith +1
    Blair +29
    Hague -16
    IDS - 9
    Howard -15
    Cameron -1
    Ed M -7

Corbyn -41

The difference is that was after nearly 10 years of being in power and after Blair leading Britain into one of the most controversial wars in British political history. Blair had also been Labour leader for twelve years as well. Most political careers also end in failure. So basically the figures show, Corbyn at the very beginning of his leadership is nearly as unpopular as post-Iraq war Blair. Bodes well then....
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

They were talking about Owen Jones joining the race this morning...

You really wouldn't want to bet against Corbyn, would you?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    The problem with the EU thing is that no-one has a workable policy on what our relations should be with the EU. This is not new but has essentially been the British issue since the 1960's. As long as we were members, it was easy, it was whatever the EU was.

Now the binary Remain/Leave vote has eliminated that easy option, we need to decide, when we never have been able to come up with a viable alternative, whether we stick to multilateral (ie EEA) or go bilateral. Minimum change or radical change? If it's bilateral, what are our minimal and maximim demands? How are we going to transition - stay in the EU for the meantime, exit to the WTO outer orbit, temporary EEA? Will the EU parties agree? What are their demands on us? What will happen to our economy until the new arrangement is in place, which could take a decade?

• Options
    @bigjohnowls Will Toby Perkins be standing in 2020 ?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

I would pay to see that.
  • Options
    Corbyn has massive name recognition advantage over Eagles/Smith too. Indeed Smith has to work his way up from almost zero on that point.
  • Options
    Regarding May's cabinet and I say this as someone with a deep dislike of Amber Rudd after her shouting and overly personal referendum appearance, but would it be a smart move putting someone in a big 4 job with a majority less than 5k in a seat that has changing Labour friendly demographics?
    If Labour got their act together for a bit in 2020 then Hastings (Rudd's seat) would arguably be in their top 40 targets and a future Portillo/Ed Balls moment given her grating personality.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

Yeah, right.

Some people may be, but I haven't seen a lot of "judging her on farcical 'she was a remainer' criteria", as you put it.

(Snip)
    Oddly, I have. There's been some on this thread.
  • Options

... we all remember how well "where there is discord, may we bring harmony" turned out..

It turned out extremely well. The UK pre-Thatcher was a cesspit of class divide, industrial intimidation, strikes, demarcation disputes, 'flying pickets', and Them vs Us in the workplace. All was peace and harmony when she left office.
    BTW thanks for the free money tip earlier Richard I got a bit on.

Corbyn had me worried at one moment but fortunately only stood up to shake hands
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029

Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

Brom said:

@Pong knows his onions.

True.

Still undemocratic to freeze out some poor Labour Remainer who has been a member since January working his butt off through the Referndum IMO
    Can you be a member and a registered supporter at the same time?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    FF43 said:

The problem with the EU thing is that no-one has a workable policy on what our relations should be with the EU. This is not new but has essentially been the British issue since the 1960's. As long as we were members, it was easy, it was whatever the EU was.

Now the binary Remain/Leave vote has eliminated that easy option we need to decide, when we never have been able to come up with a viable alternative, whether we stick to multilateral (ie EEA) or bilateral? Minimum change or radical change. If it's bilateral, what are our minimal and maximim demands? How are we going to transition - stay in the EU for the meantime, exit to the WTO outer orbit, temporary EEA? Will the EU parties agree? What are their demands on us? What will happen to our economy until the new arrangement is in place, which could take a decade?

Indeed. We need a European strategy.

See point 5 in the attached -
    http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/06/18/britains-original-sins/

• Options
    Brom said:

Regarding May's cabinet and I say this as someone with a deep dislike of Amber Rudd after her shouting and overly personal referendum appearance, but would it be a smart move putting someone in a big 4 job with a majority less than 5k in a seat that has changing Labour friendly demographics?
    If Labour got their act together for a bit in 2020 then Hastings (Rudd's seat) would arguably be in their top 40 targets and a future Portillo/Ed Balls moment given her grating personality.

That's true, although with boundary changes, she could perhaps be eased into another seat.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Indigo said:

A not insignificant number of Tory supporters felt that Dave but for his background would have been a natural Orange Book LD, he and Clegg we so conspicuously on the same page about so many things during the coalition and since. Those members and others are going to be even less impressed should the new administration turn out to be even more Blairite. I rather suspect the Kippers are going to try and emulate the LDs and be old labour statists in the North, and libertarians in the shires, with a broad appeal to both groups on the grounds of nationalism and patriotism.
    I think UKIP's libertarian wing has been pretty much squeezed out now. Moreover, I'd question the ability of a party to present two faces to the world in the manner of the 1990s Lib Dems. Ultimately Clegg's party came undone when, faced with power, it had to decide what it wanted to be, instead of pretending to be all things to all men. I don't think UKIP will face that particular problem, but I wonder whether the increasing centralisation of politics, prevalence of national branding and so on undermines the possibility of candidates expressing a more local identity (except in e.g. devolved areas).

If we see Red UKIP for the North, I don't think it can be hypercapitalist libertarian in the shires. Perhaps it can play up different aspects in different areas - One Nation, social democratic patriotism in the north, nostalgic, "we'll subsidise the nice old-fashioned things so they don't get swept away by modernity" patriotic in the shires. But I do find it hard to see UKIP appealing to the small-l liberal segment in any of their likely iterations.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    edited July 2016
    Brom said:

TBH, I'm surprised that Hastings has a Conservative lead as large as 5,000.

I'd have expected it to go the same way as Brighton & Hove.

Edit: although without Rye and outlying villages the majority would be more like 1,500.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,099
    Pulpstar said:

@DPJHodges

@bigjohnowls This is Dan Hodges.
    Yep - and I seriously doubt those figures - especially as I don't think the 100,000 who have joined in the past month are Corbynites....
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

Brom said:

@Pong knows his onions.

True.

Not unless you are naughty
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739
    RodCrosby said:

Reflects very badly on Sky, extremely unprofessional.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Not sure that's a great idea, her grating personality on the TV a couple of times a week could damage more seats than just her own marginal!
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    When will we learn the make-up of the Cabinet?

And why on earth is the FA talking to BFS Allardyce about the England job?
  • Options

Brom said:

That's true, although with boundary changes, she could perhaps be eased into another seat.
    If we are losing seats with 5k majority and a high profile sitting MP, then it won't matter as we won't be in government.
  • Options

RobD said:

Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

Brom said:

@Pong knows his onions.

True.

Not unless you are naughty
    Can you quit as a member and become a registered supporter? :p
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited July 2016
    ITV’s Robert Peston thinks Philip Hammond, the foreign secretary, will be appointed chancellor by Theresa May.

ITV News (@itvnews) July 13, 2016

(update) Et al’ – any idea when the procession to No10 is likely to start ?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

FF43 said:

Now the binary Remain/Leave vote has eliminated that easy option we need to decide, when we never have been able to come up with a viable alternative, whether we stick to multilateral (ie EEA) or bilateral? Minimum change or radical change. If it's bilateral, what are our minimal and maximim demands? How are we going to transition - stay in the EU for the meantime, exit to the WTO outer orbit, temporary EEA? Will the EU parties agree? What are their demands on us? What will happen to our economy until the new arrangement is in place, which could take a decade?

Indeed. We need a European strategy.

See point 5 in the attached -
    http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/06/18/britains-original-sins/

Thanks. That reminded me of one of your great header articles. We worth re-reading now the result is known.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

ITV’s Robert Peston thinks Philip Hammond, the foreign secretary, will be appointed chancellor by Theresa May.

Why does he think that? Has he been told by "sources close to Theresa May" or is he just passing on tea-room gossip?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Sean_F said:

Brom said:

It's Hastings & Rye, with quite a large rural chunk. Hastings town is very much Labour, but the hinterland is solid blue. She did very well to increase her majority so much - the expectation amongst local Tories was that she was in danger of losing her seat.
  • Options
    @DecrepitJohnL It's because no one else decent really wants the job, to be quite frank. The England job is a poisoned chalice. I still remember there were people who thought that this England team could do 'well' this year and even win the tournament....
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651
    Just been thinking... now that Dave's diary is looking "remarkably empty", he could start posting here, if he's looking for something to do.
  • Options

15/03/2013 Single To Win
    Philip Hammond @ 14/1
    Next Chancellor
    Next Chancellor £6.00 Pending

:o
  • Options

After 5 I think.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Reflects very badly on Sky, extremely unprofessional.
    But if either of the current challengers were in any way memorable, Sky reporters/presenters would know who they were and wouldn't make these mistakes,

Corbyn is being challenged by lightweights.
  • Options
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Brom said:

It's Hastings & Rye, with quite a large rural chunk. Hastings town is very much Labour, but the hinterland is solid blue. She did very well to increase her majority - the expectation amongst local Tories was that she was in danger of losing her seat.
    So, I see. I think the majority would be about 1,500 if it were just Hastings, although even that is quite impressive, given the nature of Hastings.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Brom said:

If we are losing seats with 5k majority and a high profile sitting MP, then it won't matter as we won't be in government.
    Possibly, but I think given the make up of Hastings and Rye (plenty of Londoners moving or buying second homes, an increasing Brighton/Lewes/Whitstable vibe) although listed as Lab target 41 I'd say it's more likely in the top 30. It's conceivable Rudd could be swallowed up by Labour but Tories still have a minority government if the SNP continue domination up North.

As has been suggested it wouldn't surprise me if she was gunning for a new seat come the boundary changes.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Why does he think that? Has he been told by "sources close to Theresa May" or is he just passing on tea-room gossip?
    When Hammond was at the MOD his nickname was "Mr Spreadsheet". So perhaps a fitting appointment.

• Options

@DecrepitJohnL It's because no one else decent really wants the job, to be quite frank. The England job is a poisoned chalice. I still remember there were people who thought that this England team could do 'well' this year and even win the tournament....

Almost any team can win the Euros now - we had quite enough talent to do so this year. Aside from Ronaldo and possibly Nani/Pepe you'd take the England players. Except Sterling. Definitely not Sterling.
  • Options

I think it was her amicable resolution of the miners' strike, and her ability to sit down and reason with the Brixton rioters, that allowed her to impose the poll tax with such little unrest.

:-)

Look, I know what you mean Richard, but I was just pointing out that knowing May's aims was not necessarily indicative of the means she would use to undertake them. I'm not saying that Thatcher set out to inspire a proletarian uprising either, but I wonder how many of her supporters listened to that address thinking "oh God, she's going to be another weak pushover". Now May may turn out not to be Daughter of Heath, Long-lost Cousin of Miliband after all. But I can imagine the likes of Plato grimacing all the way through May's speech.

(Snip)

Oddly, I have. There's been some on this thread.
    Fair enough! I haven't encountered much personally but we're each in our own little bubble.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

15/03/2013 Single To Win
    Philip Hammond @ 14/1
    Next Chancellor
    Next Chancellor £6.00 Pending

:o
    Philip Hammond is likewise someone who looks to be well-rewarded for doing very little.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,399
    More encouraging of les autres.

'WARSAW (Reuters) - The EU must not let Britain profit from leaving the bloc as that could inspire other states to follow suit, European Council President Donald Tusk said, echoing other policymakers in signalling a tough stance in upcoming Brexit negotiations.'

http://tinyurl.com/htpaze2
  • Options

More encouraging of les autres.

'WARSAW (Reuters) - The EU must not let Britain profit from leaving the bloc as that could inspire other states to follow suit, European Council President Donald Tusk said, echoing other policymakers in signalling a tough stance in upcoming Brexit negotiations.'

http://tinyurl.com/htpaze2

Time to annul the referendum result then!
This discussion has been closed.