Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Welcome to a new era in the Conservative party: The post-Bu

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    taffys said:

Grayling.

Speak to any lawyer you like about Grayling.

Good god no!

Gove, although divisive, was actually seemingly doing an OK job. I'd personally prefer Gove to stay in post. Not Grayling, perrrllllease!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

Pulpstar said:

@Pong lay of Hammond at 1.01 was by far the best bet of the day.

Not sure where he is now with his book but it was a great lay.

I can't imagine who'd want to be on the other side of that bet.
    Theresa May?
    She's a vicar's daughter!
    If some PBers listened to religion or their parents, they would never have gambled a penny in their life
    That's why I don't gamble. I invest in the politics markets.
    I'll use that line, my mother would be appalled if she found just how much I invest, she thinks I have the odd bet at a tenner a time each month.
    I think my new betting strategy will be to lay the favourite on the Tory leadership market for a tenner a month once the liquidity gets going.
    Keep a spreadsheet, so you can track both next Con Leader and next PM.

Laying Boris was very profitable this time around.
    Laying Osborne a couple of years ago when he looked absolutely unbeatable was easy money. Thanks for that tip btw.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,561

RobD said:

I still want Dave. Give him Education.

Yep, and given the '99 Act he could still take the conventional hereditary Earldom while still being an MP :D
    This "conventional hereditary Earldom"; I remember, when I was a child, being told that was the case but who was the last PM who accepted such a thing on leaving office? Macmillan didn't he only accepted elevation after the death of his son. Churchill was famously offered a dukedom by the king himself and turned it down.

So this conventional earldom, when was the convention last honoured? Does anyone know?
    Anthony Eden, created Earl of Avon, although I'm not sure when. All others since (Macmillan aside) have been life peers. I think Wilson changed the rules so only life peerages would be considered for ex-PMs. Major refused one, not sure if Blair and Brown were offered them.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,718

ToryJim said:

Ruth Davidson amongst some new Privy Council appointments!

Good. She really is something rather special.
    She would be wasted at the Scottish Office or indeed at Westminster, for the most part.
    Theresa May is abolishing the Scottish Parliament appointing Ruth Davidson as Governor of Scotland
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Sean_F said:

JohnO said:

Anna Soubry to MoD would make my day....she was a junior minister there.

Anna Soubry to the backbenches would make my day even more.
    Her insult to Farage was hardly the worst he's suffered. I think she's one of the more sensible Tories.
    Her drunken outburst amongst EU loving students outside parliament suggests she should be kept as far away from senior office as possible.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Hearing of an 'interesting' appointment by May for Lord Chancellor.

Any guesses?
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Presumably Cameron will say a few (more) words on leaving No 10?

If so, will he become the first PM in history to effectively announce his resignation 3 times from the steps of No 10 (8am on the 24th, Monday this week, and today)?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Any guesses?

Surely not Boris? The only law he knows is how to dodge libel laws.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Any guesses?

Liam Fox?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    One thing we can confidently predict: PMQs are going to return to dreary, earnest questions with tractor statistic replies.
  • Options
    Louise Mensch as minister for digital technologies
  • Options

Presumably Cameron will say a few (more) words on leaving No 10?

If so, will he become the first PM in history to effectively announce his resignation 3 times from the steps of No 10 (8am on the 24th, Monday this week, and today)?

Blair was about 67 times, but not all were in Downing Street of course.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Theresa May?
    If some PBers listened to religion or their parents, they would never have gambled a penny in their life
    I'll use that line, my mother would be appalled if she found just how much I invest, she thinks I have the odd bet at a tenner a time each month.
    I think my new betting strategy will be to lay the favourite on the Tory leadership market for a tenner a month once the liquidity gets going.

Laying Osborne a couple of years ago when he looked absolutely unbeatable was easy money. Thanks for that tip btw.
    No probs, it dawned on me the other weekend, I've been betting on Cameron's successor since 2006.

As Tissue Price said, you could start a bonfire with my losing betting slips.

I think I backed Alan Duncan in 2007
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Jobabob said:

Any guesses?

Juncker?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

ToryJim said:

She would be wasted at the Scottish Office or indeed at Westminster, for the most part.
    Theresa May is abolishing the Scottish Parliament appointing Ruth Davidson as Governor of Scotland
    Yes please! Just to see the look of horror on the face of Sturgeon.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    Jobabob said:

Any guesses?

Mogg! Please!
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    edited July 2016
    Jobabob said:

Any guesses?

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Jobabob said:

Any guesses?

Charlie Falconer ?
  • Options

RobD said:

I still want Dave. Give him Education.

Yep, and given the '99 Act he could still take the conventional hereditary Earldom while still being an MP :D
    This "conventional hereditary Earldom"; I remember, when I was a child, being told that was the case but who was the last PM who accepted such a thing on leaving office? Macmillan didn't he only accepted elevation after the death of his son. Churchill was famously offered a dukedom by the king himself and turned it down.

So this conventional earldom, when was the convention last honoured? Does anyone know?
    Eden, Earl of Avon. But yeah, a very old custom :D
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,950
    Back of the queue?
    One cabinet minister, who campaigned vigorously for Remain, admitted to me this week that he had been taken aback by how many countries were interested in making trade deals with the UK.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036

ToryJim said:

Could bring back some bad memories for @JackW re: Glencoe.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Theresa May?

No probs, it dawned on me the other weekend, I've been betting on Cameron's successor since 2006.

Not as early as that for me. I think it might be like that for May though. Initial thoughts are to lay Osborne and Boris again though, it might be tough for pre-2010 MPs to get a look in next time.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,623
    TSE for Minister for Cheesy Pop Music, Snazzy Footwear and Superhero Movies! :lol:
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Theresa May?

Not as early as that for me. I think it might be like that for May though. Initial thoughts are to lay Osborne and Boris again though, it might be tough for pre-2010 MPs to get a look in next time.
    I'm not sure what to do this time, if Corbyn stays, then Labour splits, and she's there until 2025, if Jez is toppled, then that buggers up my strategy
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    John_M said:

One thing we can confidently predict: PMQs are going to return to dreary, earnest questions with tractor statistic replies.

Yay.
  • Options

TSE for Minister for Cheesy Pop Music, Snazzy Footwear and Superhero Movies! :lol:

I want to be Lord Privy Seal, so I can crack that old gag.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Amazing to think that the Republican Convention is only a few days away, and we're hardly discussing the US at all.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Jobabob said:

Any guesses?

Charlie Falconer ?
    Mornington Crescent!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    Mr. Eagles, so, bet on May to be there for a while, and have a covering bet on the non-Corbyn candidate to win.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    @TSE Thought you wanted the Ministry of Zombie Apocalypse Planning and Survival?
  • Options

Amazing to think that the Republican Convention is only a few days away, and we're hardly discussing the US at all.

The next real excitement in the US campaign is the announcement of the VP candidates. And trying to predict those names is not easy!
  • Options
    The Betfair Tory market consists of £4 traded on Stephen Crabb at 25.0
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Theresa May?

I'm not sure what to do this time, if Corbyn stays, then Labour splits, and she's there until 2025, if Jez is toppled, then that buggers up my strategy
    Yes, my thoughts precisely, which is why it's going to be tough for some of the old guard to get a look in. Even if Corbyn is ousted and we lose to a Lab/SNP/LD rabble it's going to be tough for the likes of Boris and Osborne. The party will want to move on and present a fresh face.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Is there any market on the official deputy?

If Hammond is Chancellor, he will presumably be the de facto deputy, but I was wondering if Boris might be made FSoS and Leader of the House or Party Chairman as a sop to Leavers.

Boris for DPM. Sounds important, but you don't actually have any responsibilities. Perfect for him really.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Do we know who the key players in Team May are (apart from the PM to be, of course)?

She is appointing joint Chiefs of Staff in Nick Timothy & Fiona Hill.

The former is a regular columnist on ConHome - his most recent:

http://www.conservativehome.com/thecolumnists/2016/06/nick-timothy-ive-already-voted-leave-but-i-cant-wait-to-get-away-from-this-bloody-referendum-campaign.html
  • Options

Yup, last PB thread on the White House race was on June 8th, normally we'd be having at least one thread a day on it.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

Excellent :D
  • Options

http://www.conservativehome.com/thecolumnists/2016/06/nick-timothy-ive-already-voted-leave-but-i-cant-wait-to-get-away-from-this-bloody-referendum-campaign.html

Thanks.
  • Options

I want to be Lord Privy Seal, so I can crack that old gag.
    Lord Shitter Manatee
  • Options
    RobD said:

ToryJim said:

I turned down the role of Viceroy of Scotland.

I can serve Mrs May best from PB
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    What are the chances all four top jobs will be women?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Jobabob said:

Any guesses?

Sean Fear
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    Any chance of Wollaston in a senior role?
  • Options

RobD said:

ToryJim said:

I turned down the role of Viceroy of Scotland.

I can serve Mrs May best from PB
    well you are Viceroy of PB in OGH's absence, and Governor of PB Tories. :D
  • Options
    BTW. Governorship of Southern Thule still up for grabs.....
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

ydoethur said:

The bullying and violence is disgusting.

I don't think I would go as far as Baxter did, however, in claiming that Corbyn 'endorsed bullying by voting against secret ballot'.

Voting for the secret ballot would have been “an active thing he could have done to demonstrate his support to colleagues taking a very difficult decision yesterday, and he wouldn’t do it. It was was the most shameful thing I have ever seen,” she said.

I thought the decision to have a secret ballot was gruesomely undemocratic. (I can understand why people would have wanted it for personal protection, but there were clearly other less wholesome reasons why people would have wanted it too.) I think it is pretty outrageous to claim that someone wanting votes to be made public was actively endorsing intimidation and violence - that's a nasty smear.

I don't know. Gladstone brought in secret ballots in national elections precisely to make them less open to bribery and bullying. It's also why Thatcher brought in secret strike ballots. I would have said those moves made them more democratic as people would then vote without fear for their lives. I can't see, by contrast, why a ballot on labour membership rules needs to be public.
    I think there is a distinction to be drawn between knowing how a representative has voted - in parliament, on an NEC, at a conference etc. - when that individual might need to be held to account for their decisions, and knowing how an individual has voted at an election, referendum or vote of whatever kind, where the voter doesn't need to be accountable for their action and so should have maximum freedom.
    Yes - even if one doesn't agree with it, there is a clear argument for transparency and openness in this kind of decision-making. Moreover an open ballot would have been the default (please correct me if I'm wrong) so it is deviation from this that really required an exceptional justification. I was appalled at the insinuation that anyone disagreeing with a secret ballot was directly "endorsing bullying" - that really is one from the nasty playbook.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Low.
  • Options
    The lectern is out
  • Options
    Shame that Boris has renounced his US citizenship - otherwise he could have been Trump's VP!
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Pulpstar said:

nunu said:

Low.
    I'll give you 10/1.
  • Options
    DaveDaveDaveDave Posts: 76
    Philip Hammond is like May's twin brother in character. Only their Mother can tell them apart!
  • Options

@TSE Thought you wanted the Ministry of Zombie Apocalypse Planning and Survival?

AKA the Labour Party.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    JackW said:

Jobabob said:

Any guesses?

Sean Fear
    Ken Clarke?

• Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,487

The lectern is out

Activate the Queen!!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,791
    Priti for Chief Whip?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Thanks.
    Bit more on these two here: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/cd96fa72-4830-11e6-b387-64ab0a67014c.html
  • Options
    taffys said:

I saw a tweet from Boles that was rather unkind about Anna Soubry.

Boles and Soubry are rivals for the bitch of the year contest.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,459
    RobD said:

ToryJim said:

The SNP's behaviour at PMQ's today made my wife ashamed to be a Scot. Please do not judge Scots by this display of churlish bigotry
  • Options
    JackW said:

AKA the Labour Party.
    and Survival

• Options
    PM on the move ....
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    DaveDave said:

Philip Hammond is like May's twin brother in character. Only their Mother can tell them apart!

Hammond has more charisma. :)
  • Options

RobD said:

ToryJim said:

The SNP's behaviour at PMQ's today made my wife ashamed to be a Scot. Please do not judge Scots by this display of churlish bigotry
    Par for the SNP!
  • Options
    Dave on the steps of Downing Street
  • Options

RobD said:

ToryJim said:

I've been snowed under most of the day, missed all the fun.
    What happened?

• Options

The lectern is out

Cameron speaks.
  • Options

The lectern is out

Hannibal Lectern :)
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited July 2016
    A Guardian poll of 375 supporters of Bernie Sanders:

46% (171) to vote for Jill Stein (Green)
    23% (88) for Hillary Clinton
    10% (38) to write Bernie Sanders in
    5% (20) for Donald Trump
    4% (15) for Gary Johnson (Libertarian)
    11% (41) DK/WS

This is a very different distribution from what the Pew Research Centre found:

85% Clinton
    9% Trump
    6% DK or will vote for another candidate

Seems to me that Pew didn't list Stein as an option.
  • Options
    Actually, I've decided not to resign?
  • Options
    HER MAJESTY HAS BEEN ACTIVATED

+++ ALL ORGANIC LIFE MUST CLEAR THE AREA +++

RUN YOU FOOLS
  • Options
    DaveDaveDaveDave Posts: 76

ToryJim said:

because she is normal. Not like the rest of the tw*ts in politics
  • Options
    Did any Lib Dems give a tribute at PMQs?
  • Options

Dave on the steps of Downing Street

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3ENX3aHlqU
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

No Lib Dems were called.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Nick Clegg was (rather amazingly I think) not called.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194

The next real excitement in the US campaign is the announcement of the VP candidates. And trying to predict those names is not easy!
    Gingrich or Pence for Trump. Christie messed up on the West Bank.
  • Options
    Dave climbs into a giant hot air balloon shaped like a pig and floats gaily out of our life forever.
  • Options

taffys said:

I saw a tweet from Boles that was rather unkind about Anna Soubry.

Boles and Soubry are rivals for the bitch of the year contest.
    Surely Amber Rudd re Boris.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Not really amazing, Mr. N., considering we have just had/are going through a revolution in which the whole basis of government policy for about sixty years has just been thrown in the dustbin because of a vote by the electorate.

Who when it comes down to it gives a big rat's arse about the stuff going on in the USA, we have our own problems/theatre to be getting on with.
  • Options
    On the subject of Trump's VP, the hot ticket at the moment seems to be Mike Pence.

Only thing is, he'd have to renounce standing for re-election as Indiana governor - by noon on Friday. Is he really going to want to give up the governorship on the off-chance of a Trump victory?

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/trump-mike-pence-meeting-225472
  • Options

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options
    edited July 2016

Not really amazing, Mr. N., considering we have just had/are going through a revolution in which the whole basis of government policy for about sixty years has just been thrown in the dustbin because of a vote by the electorate.

Who when it comes down to it gives a big rat's arse about the stuff going on in the USA, we have our own problems/theatre to be getting on with.
    True, Mr Llama, but you've forgotten the 'Betting' bit of 'Political Betting'.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Priti for Chief Whip?

A prediction or a fantasy, Mr. Rentool?
  • Options
    If only he'd have remained neutral in the EUref campaign, he would still be PM.
  • Options

No. Odd that. An ungrateful bunch for slaughtering them at GE2015.
This discussion has been closed.