Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Welcome to a new era in the Conservative party: The post-Bu

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    JackW said:

Dirty sleazy kippers on the slide...

The curse of Plato .. :naughty:
    She has moved to the right of the kippers now floating somewhere near the League of Empire Loyalists.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464

David Cameron is just so fantastic in this theatre - he will be missed

Wonder if May offered him a job.
    Why not? Chamberlain served under Churchill. What job would best suit him?
    Chamberlain not only served under Churchill but probably in those dark days of 1940 made sure that the Churchill premiership survived until July. Without Chamberlain's support in cabinet it is likely that Halifax would have forced Churchill out and made peace with Hitler.

However, those were different days, different men who lived by different standards. Home, who served at the FCO under Heath, was probably the last of them.
    He doesn't give the air of someone who is giving up the pressures of No 10 in order to turn to the detail of departmental ministry.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    Cameron as Foreign Secretary in a few years' time could make sense, if he actually wants the job.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Lowlander said:

MaxPB said:

Gordon Bennet the SNP just don't get it.

They don't "get" that parliament is supposed to be a little club where greasy pole climbers can backslap each other across the benches.

Good. This appalling display of fawning over Cameron is a disgrace to democracy. An undeserved theatre show of praise for a man whose time in office has achieved virtually nothing of value.

Indeed, the SNP do not "get" that Parliament is theatre and not a legislature and despise that the British people are let down so badly by their elected representatives from the old, mainstream parties. They are right to find it disgusting, it is Britains greatest shame.
    Yes much better to bang desks.........
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,552
    Dromedary said:

TOPPING said:

Dromedary said:

TOPPING said:

Dromedary said:

Green candidate Jill Stein's response to Bernie Sanders's endorsement of Hillary Clinton was "HillNo", "JillYes".

If Stein can win enough votes from some of Bernie Sanders's supporters, or enough support to get into the TV debates, it could be curtains for Clinton. Donald Trump's endorser Rupert Murdoch who owns Fox News could help. Maybe Trump and Stein will fight over climate change.

Mid price at Betfair for Trump has risen to 4.2.

The Green Party's convention comes after the Dem and Rep conventions.

You know the secret of great comedy, don't you. Same here on PB.
    Timing?

Are you saying it's not OK to talk in the comments about political betting topics that aren't related to the subject of the article? The US presidential election is the next big market. £16 million at Betfair already. But if I've committed a faux pas I'll shut up :)
    Are you an SNP member by any chance?
    No - don't worry! English and Labour.
    Well welcome. We need a few more sensible Lab types on here.

:smile:
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Prime Minister - The Right Honourable David Cameron MP

Thanks for the memories ....

More time for you to read PB now .... :smile:
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587
    CD13 said:

I reckon Jezza's had a good month or so. Saying very little on his unlimited immigration desire during the referendum debate, seeing his Labour enemies ejaculate prematurely, and now he can sit back and smile. Having been an SWP cuckoo for thirty years, he can now start throwing the other eggs out the nest.

"What's that coming over the hill? It's deselection, deselection."

All local Labour Party meetings are banned until late September (if not further extended)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,669

That said Dave sounded like someone who wasn't planning to be an MP for much longer

That would be a real shame. Hopefully he sticks around and takes up a role post-brexit as you said.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,488

Cameron as Foreign Secretary in a few years' time could make sense, if he actually wants the job.

Therein lies the rub, he might not. However he would be big enough to take it on if he did want to continue a front line career.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

It is a shame that Clegg didn't get a chance to speak today - that would have been quite fitting

Yep, wished he'd got a question. Didn't need the sour SNP at all.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Watched PMQs and teared up a bit. What an anorak am I. Cheerio Dave, you will be missed.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

He doesn't give the air of someone who is giving up the pressures of No 10 in order to turn to the detail of departmental ministry.

Yes, I'm sure he'll retire from front-line politics now.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    The House of Commons library has two documents on Brexit.

1. "Now that the UK has voted to leave the EU, what will happen next? This Commons Library briefing paper looks at the immediate consequences of the vote and some of the longer term implications. "

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7632

2."This House of Commons Library Briefing Paper analyses the results of the referendum on EU membership held on 23 June 2016."

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7639
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,040
    HAH I knew it - now we know who REALLY runs the country !
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,399
    Ok, who won the arslikhan battle (in Westminster, not here of course)?

Peter Lilley?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

JackW said:

She has moved to the right of the kippers now floating somewhere near the League of Empire Loyalists.
    All joshing aside - my politics haven't changed. I feel more in common with Gisela than May. Staying in the Tories doesn't fit and I'm happy to be honest about it.

Ted Heath meet EdM doesn't fit my vision of a successful future.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited July 2016
    Here is Cameron’s peroration.

I will watch these exchanges from the back benches. I will miss the roar of the crowd, I will miss the barbs from the opposition, but I will be willing you on.

And when I say willingly you on, I don’t just mean willing on the new prime minister at this despatch box, or indeed just willing on the front bench defending the manifesto that I helped put together. But I mean willing all of you on, because people come here with huge passion for the issues they are about. They come here with great love for the constituencies that they represent. And also willing on this place. Because, yes, we can be pretty tough and test and challenge our leaders - perhaps more than some other countries - but that is something we should be proud of and we should keep at it, and I hope you will all keep at it, and I will will you on as you do.

The last thing I would say is that you can achieve a lot of things in politics. You can get a lot of things done. And that in the end, the public service, the national interest, that is what it is all about. Nothing is really impossible if you put your mind to it. After all, as I once said, I was the future once.

He was a class act, we'll not see his like for a while I suspect.
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn conspicuously applauded Cameron at the end of PMQs, albeit from a seated position ..... the big question is will Shadsy do the decent thing and pay out on those 3/1 bets?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

CD13 said:

I reckon Jezza's had a good month or so. Saying very little on his unlimited immigration desire during the referendum debate, seeing his Labour enemies ejaculate prematurely, and now he can sit back and smile. Having been an SWP cuckoo for thirty years, he can now start throwing the other eggs out the nest.

"What's that coming over the hill? It's deselection, deselection."

All local Labour Party meetings are banned until late September (if not further extended)
    Good God, it'd make Stalin blush.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

jonny83 said:

Pulpstar said:

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 5m5 minutes ago
    Westminster voting intention:
    CON: 36% (+1)
    LAB: 35% (+1)
    LDEM: 11% (+2) Winning here.
    UKIP: 8% (-2)
    GRN: 4% (-)
    (via Ipsos Mori / 09 - 11 Jul)

Labour on 35% no freaking way.
    It's a midterm poll. Labour should be in the lead.

But quite decent considering some people here think they might drop to sub 100 seats (I maintain they will end up with ~ 200)
    The important stat is that govt approval is -45, which i think is worse than anything under the coalition (and pretty revealing, along with Cameron's rating, that the public have no great love for the Tories at the moment). Under Miliband, Labour was about 10% clear against similar govt approval figures - albeit that the figures aren't quite comparable as there'll be an inclination for LDs to disapprove now when they were more likely to approve in govt.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    LOL
  • Options
    Mr. D, I may steal that for tweeting purposes (or RT if you're on Twitter).
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Good news - @Shadsy has paid out on "Not to stand and applaud."

No idea on the other side of the bet.

He's a good egg!
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    Not calling Farron was poor form...
  • Options

Jeremy Corbyn conspicuously applauded Cameron at the end of PMQs, albeit from a seated position ..... the big question is will Shadsy do the decent thing and pay out on those 3/1 bets?

Are you on the Stand/applaud side of the bet ?

The no stand/applaud has been very generously paid but I don't know about the other side.
  • Options
    Gracious exit from Dave. Say what you want but mans got class.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Ishmael_X said:

Danny565 said:

jonny83 said:

Cameron led by example and got his party to partake in a standing ovation for Blair, will Corbyn do that? If Corbyn and his closest comrades sit down and the Lab backbenchers stand up it would look very bad, though I doubt Corbyn cares.

Whether people liked or disliked Blair, does anyone really deny that he was a much more "impactful" PM than Cameron has been?
    I don't usually think of people as "impactful", but if I had to give the label to somebody it would probably be Edward John Smith, RD, RNR (27 January 1850 – 15 April 1912).
    The poor bastard wasn't even on the bridge at the time...
    No, but the ship was still sailing under his orders i.e. too fast in an area known to contain icebergs.
    Standard procedure for the time. And he had altered course. Just not enough. The bergs were unusually far south that year.
    He still knew there were bergs about and that they'd be difficult to spot but carried on anyway.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626

Here is Cameron’s peroration.

I will watch these exchanges from the back benches. I will miss the roar of the crowd, I will miss the barbs from the opposition, but I will be willing you on.

And when I say willingly you on, I don’t just mean willing on the new prime minister at this despatch box, or indeed just willing on the front bench defending the manifesto that I helped put together. But I mean willing all of you on, because people come here with huge passion for the issues they are about. They come here with great love for the constituencies that they represent. And also willing on this place. Because, yes, we can be pretty tough and test and challenge our leaders - perhaps more than some other countries - but that is something we should be proud of and we should keep at it, and I hope you will all keep at it, and I will will you on as you do.

The last thing I would say is that you can achieve a lot of things in politics. You can get a lot of things done. And that in the end, the public service, the national interest, that is what it is all about. Nothing is really impossible if you put your mind to it. After all, as I once said, I was the future once.

He was a class act, we'll not see his like for a while I suspect.

class act
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Cat saying "I TOLD you to support Leave. You muppet...."
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Sounds like their friendship is very much over.
  • Options

Mr. D, I may steal that for tweeting purposes (or RT if you're on Twitter).

Hah, go for it, although I suspect others here could do better. :D
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,728
    jonny83 said:

Very much so.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited July 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Brom said:

Jo Maugham QC ‏@JolyonMaugham 5m5 minutes ago
    Don't choke on your quinoa, Corbyn fans, but @OwenSmith_MP is basically even money on Betfair to beat him.

he's not though is he? he's even money to be next Labour leader which is a different market.
    When they price up a labour leadership election market Corbyn will be odds on I would assume.

@Pong matched Corbyn at 11-10, remarkably in that market.

@Pong knows his onions.
    I don't have any inside info on this, but my hunch is JC at evens or above is good value - and I've taken a moderate position.

I treat my own hunches with caution, though!

I need to get my head around who the competitive selectorate thing will favour, and the extent of the advantage.

• Options
    "12:41pm
    Corbyn shakes PM's hand and walks away with him
    Jeremy Corbyn got out of his seat quickly as David Cameron walk away.

They shook hands behind the Speaker's chair and walked together."

I actually quite like Corbyn.. good egg..
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Mr B2,

"All local Labour Party meetings are banned until late September (if not further extended)."

They're trying to put a bit of netting around the nest.

An amusing PMQs for a change.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

jonny83 said:

Very much so.
    Gove is such an utter, utter arse, and such is his embarrassment that I'm sure he can barely face walking down the road let alone participate in any political activity (was he in the House just now?).
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    From Spain - as my Cs contact in Barcelona told me last night: they will abstain on a second vote for the inauguration of Rajoy as PM. That means a minority PP government heavily dependent on Cs support, but no coalition.
  • Options

:lol:

Unfortunately, whomever tweets for Larry was keen on Remain.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

jonny83 said:

Very much so.
    Gove is such an utter, utter arse, such is his embarrassment I'm sure he can barely face walking down the road let alone participate in any political activity (was he in the House just now?).
    Gove was godfather to Ivan Cameron, is sad that it has come to this.

It wasn't the way that Gove campaigned for Leave, it was the way he did it that irked Cameron.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

So farewell then, Cameron, you led so well;
    Up until Brexit, and then you fell.

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Of course, everyone knows that cats are very keen on freedom of movement.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,241

jonny83 said:

Very much so.
    And trouble for Cameron's successors, I reckon. Gove'll always have the ear of the Conservative hardcore leavers and the TINOs for whom the EU supersedes all other matters of government.
  • Options
    I feel sad about Dave going, it's like losing a distant family member or old friend/acquaintance, someone you don't meet often but you got on with well. It feels like the end of an era, I just wish someone sat down with him in September and showed him this future, maybe he would have tried harder to reform free movement and got better terms in his negotiations.
  • Options
    Rexel56 said:

Very mean. Cammo owes them a lot.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Undoubtedly he has class. Just not great political judgment on the EU. Sadly.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr B2,

"All local Labour Party meetings are banned until late September (if not further extended)."

They're trying to put a bit of netting around the nest.

An amusing PMQs for a change.

When I put up a dovecote, I was most annoyed they didn't just move in. Had to net them and eventually all was good.

Little buggers.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

All joshing aside - my politics haven't changed. I feel more in common with Gisela than May. Staying in the Tories doesn't fit and I'm happy to be honest about it.

Yeah, right.
  • Options

jonny83 said:

Very much so.
    And trouble for Cameron's successors, I reckon. Gove'll always have the ear of the Conservative hardcore leavers and the TINOs for whom the EU supersedes all other matters of government.
    Not really, Gove has always been a Cameroon moderniser, that's the tragedy of the situation.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987

jonny83 said:

Very much so.

Gove is plainly psychotic. Probably not someone you could very easily have a long-term friendship with.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "She wanted to be the first woman prime minister back in our Oxford days and she was very irritated when Maggie Thatcher beat her to it"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3687797/May-wanted-Britain-s-female-PM-irritated-Thatcher-beat-Number-10-claims-friend.html
  • Options

jonny83 said:

Very much so.
    He has proven himself a) disloyal; and b) incompetent.

Are you sure he will hold such sway in the Conservative Party in future?
  • Options
    Mr. Max, aye. But, all things end.

Anyway, I'm off for a bit. Given the way politics is, one imagines something dramatic will happen before I return.
  • Options

jonny83 said:

Very much so.
    Not really, Gove has always been a Cameroon moderniser, that's the tragedy of the situation.
    P'haps. I'm unconvinced, but hope you're right.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

So farewell then, Cameron, you led so well;
    Up until Brexit, and then you fell.

David Cameron
    Did not carry on,
    He headed for the exit
    After eating his Brexit.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

And natural mavericks - they don't do federal rule following stuff. :smiley:
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    MaxPB said:

God, what have we done. Come back Dave.

He did it to himself, tragically.
  • Options

jonny83 said:

Very much so.

Gove is plainly psychotic. Probably not someone you could very easily have a long-term friendship with.

IIRC Gove and Cameron have had a friendship going back decades.
  • Options
    When can we expect to see the May Cabinet line up?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

jonny83 said:

Very much so.

Major was brought down by the bas**rds, who were both disloyal and incompetent. Some of the same faces featured again in the EU referendum.

They're bound to warm to Gove.

(Although I'm not sure he was incompetent: I think he may have got the result he wanted, or at least he can live with).
  • Options

She's got to be appointed by the Queen first :D
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Lowlander said:

MaxPB said:

Gordon Bennet the SNP just don't get it.

They don't "get" that parliament is supposed to be a little club where greasy pole climbers can backslap each other across the benches.

Good. This appalling display of fawning over Cameron is a disgrace to democracy. An undeserved theatre show of praise for a man whose time in office has achieved virtually nothing of value.

Indeed, the SNP do not "get" that Parliament is theatre and not a legislature and despise that the British people are let down so badly by their elected representatives from the old, mainstream parties. They are right to find it disgusting, it is Britains greatest shame.
    If that's how they feel, they should imitate Sinn Fein and not take their seats.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    Early days but Corbyn is coming in and Smith is drifting on Betfair. Limited liquidity though...
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Ishmael_X said:

Danny565 said:

jonny83 said:

Cameron led by example and got his party to partake in a standing ovation for Blair, will Corbyn do that? If Corbyn and his closest comrades sit down and the Lab backbenchers stand up it would look very bad, though I doubt Corbyn cares.

Whether people liked or disliked Blair, does anyone really deny that he was a much more "impactful" PM than Cameron has been?
    I don't usually think of people as "impactful", but if I had to give the label to somebody it would probably be Edward John Smith, RD, RNR (27 January 1850 – 15 April 1912).
    The poor bastard wasn't even on the bridge at the time...
    No, but the ship was still sailing under his orders i.e. too fast in an area known to contain icebergs.
    Standard procedure for the time. And he had altered course. Just not enough. The bergs were unusually far south that year.
    He still knew there were bergs about and that they'd be difficult to spot but carried on anyway.
    Standard procedure. The berg that the Titanic struck was probably unusually dark (it may have turned over recently).

If the ship had contacted the berg is just about any other way than she actually did, she may well have steamed into New York. Incredible bad luck. And a whole chain of bad luck.

You can't blame one man for it. If blame lies anywhere it's with asshats in Parliament who thought they could devise a smarter safety formula than "lifeboats for all"...
  • Options

TOPPING said:

jonny83 said:

Very much so.
    Gove is such an utter, utter arse, such is his embarrassment I'm sure he can barely face walking down the road let alone participate in any political activity (was he in the House just now?).

It wasn't the way that Gove campaigned for Leave, it was the way he did it that irked Cameron.
    IIRC Mrs Gove is also a godmother to one of the Cameron children.

I'll be interested to see what happens to Gove career wise, he could be finished at least for a while.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    MaxPB said:

I feel sad about Dave going, it's like losing a distant family member or old friend/acquaintance, someone you don't meet often but you got on with well. It feels like the end of an era, I just wish someone sat down with him in September and showed him this future, maybe he would have tried harder to reform free movement and got better terms in his negotiations.

Or just campaigned for Brexit?
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

jonny83 said:

Very much so.

I think that's completely over the top as a verdict. I've met many Michael Goves in my time, particularly in Cheltenham. Highly intelligent people who think that the mere fact they are 'right' trumps everything else. As anyone who's dealt with politics, corporate or otherwise, will tell you, being right doesn't necessarily win you either friends or allies.
  • Options

jonny83 said:

Very much so.

IIRC Gove and Cameron have had a friendship going back decades.
    Yes, they were the two original Notting Hill set, Osborne joined the project slightly later iirc.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

jonny83 said:

Very much so.

Major was brought down by the bas**rds, who were both disloyal and incompetent. Some of the same faces featured again in the EU referendum.

(Although I'm not sure he was incompetent: I think he may have got the result he wanted, or at least he can live with).
    Hmm. Maybe, but I'm not sure Mrs Gove would agree.
  • Options
    Rexel56 said:

Simply a reflection of the LibDem much weaker status in the Commons. Farron gets a question about every 3 or 4 PMQ's.

That said perhaps Clegg might have been called just before the final question from Ken Clark
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

TOPPING said:

jonny83 said:

Very much so.

I'll be interested to see what happens to Gove career wise, he could be finished at least for a while.
    He is a very good Justice Secretary, I hope May keeps him on.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    murali_s said:

Early days but Corbyn is coming in and Smith is drifting on Betfair. Limited liquidity though...

Only very slightly. And not reflected in the next labour leader
  • Options
    JackW said:

Rexel56 said:

Simply a reflection of the LibDem much weaker status in the Commons. Farron gets a question about every 3 or 4 PMQ's.

That said perhaps Clegg might have been called just before the final question from Ken Clark
    As an exceptional PMQs it would have been gracious to have called all the party leaders.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Faisal Islam - Every day of Cameron's Premiership saw on average more than 1,000 jobs were created.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

jonny83 said:

Very much so.

Mr Major's intervention in the Referendum campaign was a low point for Project Fear.
  • Options
    BBC suggesting cabinet changes may be more wide ranging than expected
  • Options

Undoubtedly he has class. Just not great political judgment on the EU. Sadly.
    I guess we'll see how adequate was his judgement in the next few years or so. At the end of the day he wasn't wrong to do a referendum, his mistake was the timing of it. It astonishes me how small the margin for error in British politics.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,792

Faisal Islam - Every day of Cameron's Premiership saw on average more than 1,000 jobs were created.

The people of Poland have a lot to thank him for.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TSE being ennobled and made Minister of Fashion?
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

TOPPING said:

jonny83 said:

Very much so.

I hope he stays at Justice by virtue of his reform agenda - that was he main reason I wanted to vote for him.

It's brave controversial stuff that no one else would even attempt. If he'd been Home Sec - he could've tackled drug reform too.

Hope he gets another stab at this stuff.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    If that photo had appeared in the mail this time last month the referendum result may well have been different.
  • Options

The BBC reporting that May will be PM by early evening and I'd expect she will announce the big beast jobs tonight.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Ahem! (Buffs nails..)
  • Options

Lefties will claim all those jobs are zero hour ones, which is blatantly not true.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited July 2016

PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

Yeah, right.
    Aside from the "EU headbangers", don't underestimate the dissatisfaction of some Tory members/voters/leaners with the idea of an authoritarian, managerialist Conservative government with a social democratic agenda. This doesn't appeal to those on the small-l "live and let live" liberal or libertarian side, those who prefer their creatively destructive capitalism red in tooth and claw, or even just those who are skeptical of the power of bureaucracy and state intervention to improve lives in the intended manner. This is not a huge chunk of the electorate, and they don't have an obvious alternative home to go to. But they may find themselves reduced to reluctant Tory voters holding their noses at the ballot box, and certainly not have great incentive to be a member or activist.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

He is a very good Justice Secretary, I hope May keeps him on.

Not looking likely albeit there is much pleading going on.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    I don't think the numbers are there for Smith. I think Corbyn should be backed into 1/2, until he is I think he remains a value bet. The members already know everything about Corbyn, but Smith starts as the 'anyone but Corbyn candidate' & I think as we learn more about him via the media he is likely to lose support through his weaknesses being put on display rather than win over any Corbynite members.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Ahem! (Buffs nails..)
    Any tips ?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I changed my picture as I'm in mourning.

I'm hopeful at least one ex Bullingdon boy will be occupying a great office of state.

George for Foreign Secretary.

The Buller is irrelevant - a distraction technique.

It's the Grid that matters...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gridiron_Club_(Oxford_University)
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

PlatoSaid said:

:)
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

jonny83 said:

TOPPING said:

jonny83 said:

Very much so.

I hope he stays at Justice by virtue of his reform agenda - that was he main reason I wanted to vote for him.

It's brave controversial stuff that no one else would even attempt. If he'd been Home Sec - he could've tackled drug reform too.

Hope he gets another stab at this stuff.
    The problem is trust is his biggest weakeness right now not his competency. After the events in recent weeks (though he gets praise from me for stopping Boris) his trust levels must be at rock bottom right now.

Pun intended with your final line? :)
  • Options
    edited July 2016

PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

Yeah, right.
    Aside from the "EU headbangers", don't underestimate the dissatisfaction of some Tory members/voters/leaners with the idea of an authoritarian, managerialist Conservative government with a social democratic agenda. This doesn't appeal to those on the small-l "live and let live" liberal or libertarian side, those who prefer their creatively destructive capitalism red in tooth and claw, or even just those who are skeptical of the power of bureaucracy and state intervention to improve lives in the intended manner. This is not a huge chunk of the electorate, and they don't have an obvious alternative home to go to. But they may find themselves reduced to reluctant Tory voters holding their noses at the ballot box, and certainly not have great incentive to be a member or activist.
    Oh, indeed. Yet we don't know yet what May's policy platform or premiership will be like.

Instead, people are judging her on farcical 'she was a remainer' criteria.
  • Options
    John_M said:

jonny83 said:

Very much so.

I think that's completely over the top as a verdict. I've met many Michael Goves in my time, particularly in Cheltenham. Highly intelligent people who think that the mere fact they are 'right' trumps everything else. As anyone who's dealt with politics, corporate or otherwise, will tell you, being right doesn't necessarily win you either friends or allies.
    I read an article just after Gove came out for Leave, and it said he'd been enormously loyal to Cameron - and gained little back.

He swallowed the ignominy of being shuffled from Education to Whip's Office with good grace and always offered total support for Cameron.

Finally it went a step too far re Brexit - so binned the doormat behaviour and went for it.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    jonny83 said:

Lefties will claim all those jobs are zero hour ones, which is blatantly not true.
    Ed said the same and didn't get anywhere, don't worry the British public are not stupid.
This discussion has been closed.