Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Richard Tyndall on the exit strategy

SystemSystem Posts: 11,728
edited June 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Richard Tyndall on the exit strategy

Recent interventions into the Muslim world by Western powers post 9/11 have been characterised by one great failing. Whilst they have carefully planned and executed the military phase of the campaign, they have utterly failed to deal with the post conflict stage leaving behind failed states in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya as a result.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,729
    Thank you Richard for an interesting contribution.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited June 2016
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,272
    A "friend" (really a stockbroker) at an Icelandic bank emailed me on Friday to say that his countrymen would welcome the UK to EFTA with open arms.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,081
    Good post. I think the ideas are good. But: Working-class LEAVE voters, get ready for Project Betrayal. Your country needs you.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Leave issued a manifesto. They should seek to implement it. - as a matter of basic respect to the electorate.

http://www.cityam.com/243373/leave-campaigners-unveil-manifesto-post-brexit
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Does anyone still have that tweet with a table comparing EU membership with EFTA? It had red/green colour coding depending on whether it fit with most people's priorities
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,847
    While a second referendum would be politically unpopular with the chattering classes, Can you see the MPs from areas that voted leave by 60% wanting to vote through a deal with one?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Cameron has betrayed the nation he supposedly loves. He had no fallback plan should Brexit succeed. He gambled all his chips on IN winning and so lost everything. Never has hubris been so nakedly exposed.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    Excellent thread and more sense on what happens next than anything I've seen from Boris or Gove and certainly Farage!

Perhaps the leavers should bring in Richard asap to help!!
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    edited June 2016
    CD13 said:

Come on Remainers, man up, your whingeing is unbecoming. You lost, we are committed to leaving. It will take a big offer from the EU to make it worth while having another referendum.

They are quivering in fright at the prospect of their project unravelling before them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOeYPpOblAw

Something to stiffen your upper lips

The chap who is singing that played Daniel Hagman in the Sharpe series. He also did most of the music adaptation for the series.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127

John_M said:

Omnium said:

John_M said:

Omnium said:

Why do people assume that a referendum means everyone is entirely polarised? I voted Leave, but it was a very close call. I find myself in very close agreement with almost all my friends about the issues, and around 50% of those friends voted Remain.

Anyone that finds themselves thinking that this was 100% right or 100% wrong probably needs to have a bit of a quiet period of thought.

We're often better than our politicians - sometimes much, much better.

Yes, very much agree with you. I don't think that all Remainers are quisling traitorous pig dogs, nor are all Leavers noble democrats. This is real life, not fucking Star Wars.

We'll all have our red lines that made us choose one side over another; immigration, sovereignty, the economy or whatever.

I'm a lukewarm Leaver. While I've felt for a long time that the EU has lost its way, it wouldn't have taken much to make me a lukewarm Remainer. It's a pity that it's all become so partisan and vitriolic.
    Decent club of two then :)

I sort of want the badge saying 'quisling traitorous pig-dog' mind you.

In our club of two, supposing we wanted to march on Westminster, what should our slogan be? I quite like your 'lukewarm'.
    "What do we want?" "Not much" "When do we want it?" "Any time it's convenient actually".

I feel we have a movement here ;).
    Can I carry the placard that says "Down with this kind of thing!"...?
    I'm sure there's one online of people holding signs like 'People who protest are dumb' 'People against people who protest'
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,773
    rcs1000 said:

A "friend" (really a stockbroker) at an Icelandic bank emailed me on Friday to say that his countrymen would welcome the UK to EFTA with open arms.

did he have welcome tattooed on his forehead ? :-)
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222
    EPG said:

Good post. I think the ideas are good. But: Working-class LEAVE voters, get ready for Project Betrayal. Your country needs you.

As if your side give a flying fuck about their concerns about immigration.
  • Options
    Mail reporting that BoJo has spent the day at his house with four other backbench MPs (none of whom I am familiar with
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    Reports Angela Eagle has resigned.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    MikeK said:

Boris has betrayed the nation he supposedly loves. He had no fallback plan should Brexit succeed. He gambled all his chips on IN winning and so lost respect of many Tories. Never has hubris been so nakedly exposed.

fixed it for you.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    EPG said:

They're used to it. It's why they don't usually bother to vote....
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,154
    "That means that already almost half of the population would probably be relieved with a solution that maintained the single market and freedom of movement."

There would have been many reluctant remainers who want immigration reduced.

For that matter there are plenty of remainers generally who want immigration reduced.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,040
    We had rows, it wasn't always a great relationship. But now we've walked out the house and we'll find the EU missus will have changed the locks if we go crawling back.
  • Options

Leave issued a manifesto. They should seek to implement it. - as a matter of basic respect to the electorate.

http://www.cityam.com/243373/leave-campaigners-unveil-manifesto-post-brexit

Until Leavers grasp the wheels of power they cannot do anything, Mr. Meeks. That means that Cameron has to exit subito, and quickly and not dally about.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,252
    An EFTA agreement would probably be the best way forward, but it would probably see UKIP get at least a quarter of the vote at the next general election as a result!
  • Options
    Mt Tyndall is hopeful, I hope he is right - a solution acceptable to Remainers and Leavers may be there, even if the ideal for the latter is not (and would put an end to any talk of second referendums - not that many actual politicians seem to be exploring that)
  • Options

While a second referendum would be politically unpopular with the chattering classes, Can you see the MPs from areas that voted leave by 60% wanting to vote through a deal with one?

Not even slightly - hence why Labour won't back it, and half the Tories were Leavers anyway, so it won't happen.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Cheers Mr Tyndall, very interesting.

We have a full blown coup attempt today with 10 shadow ministers resigning and yet it appears to be regarded as a mere sideshow on PB. Com – politics has gone quite nuts. :lol:
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,953
    I'm not sure this is going quite as planned...
  • Options
    The EU will not agree any deal that the UK can just walk away from. So whatever is agreed will be at least as binding as the EU Treaty.

Any deal that does not include substantial reductions in immigration will be a betrayal of millions of Leave voters.
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 44
    I saw this article below in a Guardian column. apologies if it has been reproduced here already.

I found it pretty compelling - can anybody actually see a UK premier, assuming Liam Fox or Farage can't get the gig, who are going to have the guts to pull the trigger on a guaranteed recession, especially as by the time that comes, the consequences will be so much more obvious to the electorate?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/guardian-comment-boris-johnson_uk_576faf9be4b0d2571149c8b9
  • Options
    can richard translate this please?

odysseanproject @odysseanproject Those saying it will be EEA and free movement also wrong

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

We should let Iceland win in the football as part of engendering good will with them. Stage 2, apologise for the Cod Wars.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    By the way the Dan Hannan reference in the thread header probably explains for his decision to drop off twitter. Both he and Douglas Carswell have long advocated the EFTA route and now we are out they are facing an onslaught from the kippers.

This was Carswell's posting on FB earlier today

"My timeline is a cheery place this evening! Remainers attacking me because they are cross. Kippers attacking just because."
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

We had rows, it wasn't always a great relationship. But now we've walked out the house and we'll find the EU missus will have changed the locks if we go crawling back.

LOL, too true.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Not even slightly - hence why Labour won't back it, and half the Tories were Leavers anyway, so it won't happen.
    Probably more than half the Tories are Leavers but many kept quite out of party loyalty of career ambition.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Thank you, Richard, a good thread. Last month, I would have happily gone with a semi-detached solution, but I'm getting more bullish now. The EU have over-reached once too often.

It's been a game of poker and they are blinking. I'd suggest EFTA is the bare minimum, but once inside, we could still negotiate further on immigration control.

Point of information. It's not a sticking point for me, but we need national immigration control (even if it doesn't go down much in the end) to appease most of the weasels and stoats. They've come out to vote, and this time, they mean it.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    To be fair, Dan Hannan has articulated his view for some years. The outcome that he wants would not be hugely different from what we have today except the UK Parliament would be supreme or as much as a modern country can be.

I think the final settlement will be close to this position. THe business community will make sure of that - otherwise, Britain is looking into a deep ditch.

Brexiters, hoping to keep immigrants out would be disappointed.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    What's the general outlook for the weather in England this summer? Think it's a good year for a complete washout.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Obviously an invented anecodote. Everyone knows that Iceland is gripped by famine with everyone reduced to eating grass and volcanic ash as it is impossible to survive outside the EU
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934
    edited June 2016
    Bet this reaches 200,000 before 20th resignation.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/a-vote-of-confidence-in-jeremy-corbyn-after-brexit

Wonder what time my MP is planning to announce his
  • Options

The EU will not agree any deal that the UK can just walk away from. So whatever is agreed will be at least as binding as the EU Treaty.

Any deal that does not include substantial reductions in immigration will be a betrayal of millions of Leave voters.

People talk as if there's one Freedom of Movement of labour, take it or leave it.

But there isn't. There are fifty of grey, which maintain the principle while substantially changing the raw numbers.

The great irony is that the easiest way to cut migration is a recession, which (if we keep arguing about this for two years) we might manage completely unaided.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,773

For someone who voted Remain you seem pretty sure what Leavers will accept.

On the other hand you could quit wind ups and give us some sensible thoughts on Spain, for which youre one of the better placed PBers.

This looks like PSOE+P government ?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Probably more than half the Tories are Leavers but many kept quite out of party loyalty of career ambition.
    There is a troubling cadre of Tory MPs who told selection committees they were Leavers, then went Remain when Osborne was offering them advancement when he was leader, and who are now going to be crawling back to their electorate saying they are Leavers after all. Unless there is a fudge deal that allows us to Remain.

It's not a very edifying spectacle.
  • Options

Excellent thread and more sense on what happens next than anything I've seen from Boris or Gove and certainly Farage!

Much as I appreciate the compliment I am really only channelling what has already been proposed by people like Carswell, Hannan and most particularly Dr Richard North with his Flexit plan.

There are experts out there who know how the EU and EFTA work and how we can get a good deal. I would like to think that some of the politicians are listening to them.
  • Options

By the way the Dan Hannan reference in the thread header probably explains for his decision to drop off twitter. Both he and Douglas Carswell have long advocated the EFTA route and now we are out they are facing an onslaught from the kippers.

This was Carswell's posting on FB earlier today

"My timeline is a cheery place this evening! Remainers attacking me because they are cross. Kippers attacking just because."

it was also cos of his attack on farage's poster which he prompted to be asked about on BBC on election night when it seemed remain was winning and Nige had conceded for the first or second time.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,793
    If the new PM announces that we have two options, EEA or WTF true rules and full immigration controls, and gives us a choice via a referendum, it will be 70% EFTA.

The next GE would be interesting. 100 seats for UKIP?
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 44
    From Guardian:

If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.

Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?

Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legistlation to be torn up and rewritten ... the list grew and grew.

The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?

Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?

Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-maneouvered and check-mated.

If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over - Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession ... broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.
  • Options

If the new PM announces that we have two options, EEA or WTF true rules and full immigration controls, and gives us a choice via a referendum, it will be 70% EFTA.

No. 102. ;)
  • Options

Would the new PM's Parliament pass full Brexit?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    edited June 2016
    Very interesting article from one of our most thoughtful posters. I hope he'll do more.

The difficulty is that we have a multiply divided electorate and a choice of binary decisions. As Richard observes, the emotional force of the Brexit campaign was immigration, and if a deal is done that doesn't address it, a lot of people are going to be very angry indeed. The obvious beneficiary is UKIP, but if a Conservative government has delivered such a deal, I suspect that they would be disproportionately affected by the anger, and it's possible that this would deliver a Labour government offering an alternative policy of seeking to reverse withdrawal while promising an effort on free movement.

But full-fat withdrawal without EEA access will clearly run into a flatly hostile EU and as Richard says it's not obvious that there would be a Parliamentary majority for it.

In the absence of (a) a clear Tory leader (b) a clear Labour leader (c) a consensus among Brexit supporters about what they wanted or (d) any serious Government planning for this event, it's completely impossible to tell where we're going.
  • Options

We have a full blown coup attempt today with 10 shadow ministers resigning and yet it appears to be regarded as a mere sideshow on PB. Com – politics has gone quite nuts. :lol:

We are watching the emoting classes having to cope with their political equivalent of the death of Diana.

Meanwhile across European chancellries it is beginning to dawn on them that their citizens regard attempting to abolish their nations and replace them as provinces of a twenty first century austro hungarian empire without feelung the need to gain their consent as an abuse of power.

We also now know that if boiling the frog slowly it is best to check that the frog is not a docile British frog as above a certain temperature it turns into a crocodile and eats the boiler.
  • Options
    There is one concession that could help in any deal with the EU eastern europe states and that is to grandfather all rights to benefits being given to all immigrants including their citizens on June 24th 2016. That way it is only new people that get less/nil and it has the added benefit of cutting the rate of immigration from the EU and other non-EU.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Would the new PM's Parliament pass full Brexit?
    UKIP wont get 3 seats
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,547
    Sky reporting there will be more resignations in the shadow cabinet, possibly tonight but also the potential for another run tomorrow..
  • Options

kle4 said:

There is a troubling cadre of Tory MPs who told selection committees they were Leavers, then went Remain when Osborne was offering them advancement when he was leader, and who are now going to be crawling back to their electorate saying they are Leavers after all. Unless there is a fudge deal that allows us to Remain.

A list of these shits needs to be collated.
  • Options

odysseanproject @odysseanproject Those saying it will be EEA and free movement also wrong

There is a line of thought - called the Liechtenstein Option - whereby we could have EEA membership but also be able to control immigration. As far as I can see it based on a very partial reading of the treaties and I think for the UK would be a non-starter.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited June 2016

Much as I appreciate the compliment I am really only channelling what has already been proposed by people like Carswell, Hannan and most particularly Dr Richard North with his Flexit plan.

There are experts out there who know how the EU and EFTA work and how we can get a good deal. I would like to think that some of the politicians are listening to them.
    EFTA/EEA doesn't matter for many as long as it's not called the EU.

There a many many different options, choosing one will take some time.
  • Options
    All this talk of a snap GE depends on one scenario - that Labour form part of the two-third majority of MP who want it
  • Options
    Just as a matter of interest, who will be expected to pick up the tab for Eurocrat pensions post Brexit?
  • Options
    The current data from Spain (http://resultados2016.infoelecciones.es/99CO/DCO99999TO.htm?lang=es) has PP on 131 (+8), Cs on 22 (-18), and a parliament that is still very much hung.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,832
    People drop off twitter when, at last, they have something to say.
    (Sorry twitter)
  • Options

On the other hand you could quit wind ups and give us some sensible thoughts on Spain, for which youre one of the better placed PBers.

It's hard to see how there could be a PP/PSOE government. There's too much baggage and genuine enmity. At a minimum Rajoy would have to stand down for it even to become a possibility.

PSOE might be able to deal with IU, but Podemos are unmanageable.

It's a mess.

• Options
    Usueful thoughts on potential PMs
    http://order-order.com/2016/06/26/next-prime-minister-stand/

One name not widely touted is Graham Brady – Chairman of the 1922 "so has influence".
    He is actually the only one, apart from past failed Leader candidates (Davis and Fox), who the MPs have actually voted for.
  • Options

True that. It may be worth repeating:
    THE UK HAS VOTED TO LEAVE THE EUROPEAN UNION.
    Just look at it. My god, I am going SeanT.
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 712
    1st show of the official count, now the Canaries have closed:

11% counted

PP 132

PSOE 93

Podemos 64

C's 21

ERC 10

But only 320/350 seats called.

Suggests any CL govt would be PSOE-led - Podemos looks overcooked on the exit polls.

• Options

There is a line of thought - called the Liechtenstein Option - whereby we could have EEA membership but also be able to control immigration. As far as I can see it based on a very partial reading of the treaties and I think for the UK would be a non-starter.
    You can allow immigration, but make the UK a much less attractive destination for unskilled immigration.

Provided, of course, you did the sensible thing and made all benefits contribution based.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    SeanT said:

I followed up that Polish immigrants story. It's here

https://twitter.com/b0redinbucks

Very sad. It does look like real nastiness emerging; perhaps it is just coincidence. Pray to God it all goes away.

Every time the Tories win an election you can't move for people screaming/scrawling "Tory Scum".

Same type of idiot, broadly speaking.
  • Options

It's hard to see how there could be a PP/PSOE government. There's too much baggage and genuine enmity. At a minimum Rajoy would have to stand down for it even to become a possibility.

It's a mess.

Which is the Corbynite party?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Mail reporting that BoJo has spent the day at his house with four other backbench MPs (none of whom I am familiar with

Reports that he has spent "serious effort" into planning his coronation.

Shame he forgot to plan anything at all for Brexit
  • Options

1st show of the official count, now the Canaries have closed:

11% counted

PP 132

PSOE 93

Podemos 64

C's 21

ERC 10

But only 320/350 seats called.

Suggests any CL govt would be PSOE-led - Podemos looks overcooked on the exit polls.

It's a little more complicated than that.

There are a lot of 'partner' parties to Podemos (some of whom are impaccably opposed to Catalan independence), such as Podemos-Compromis, and Podemos-An Merea.
  • Options
    EU migration to the EU is bound to reduce in the next six months as news permeates through to potential EU workers of the hostility of SOME UK residents. Vacancies in the care sector will rise as those Brexiters who "want their country back" turn their noses up at the prospect of doing such work.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Very interesting article from one of our most thoughtful posters. I hope he'll do more.

The difficulty is that we have a multiply divided electorate and a choice of binary decisions. As Richard observes, the emotional force of the Brexit campaign was immigration, and if a deal is done that doesn't address it, a lot of people are going to be very angry indeed. The obvious beneficiary is UKI, but if a Conservative government has delivered such a deal, I suspect that they would be disproportionately affected by the anger, and it's possible that this would deliver a Labour government offering an alternative policy of seeking to reverse withdrawal while promising an effort on free movement.

But full-fat withdrawal without EEA access will clearly run into a flatly hostile EU and as Richard says it's not obvious that there would be a Parliamentary majority for it.

In the absence of (a) a clear Tory leader (b) a clear Labour leader (c) a consensus among Brexit supporters about what they wanted or (d) any serious Government planning for this event, it's completely impossible to tell where we're going.

What you need is a serious leader with a brain and a backbone, not some nutty old Trot with Stalinist advisors. The country is in crisis. Actual proper crisis, probably the biggest we've faced since the war. And the Shadow Cabinet, instead of opposing a clueless government, has decided to slowly resign en masse.

Great.

Get a fecking grip. Serve your nation. And this means people like you getting over your adolescent Corbyn thing and making Labour relevant and electable. We need an Opposition. My god, we need it.

Absolutely spot on. This is no longer about Labour trundling along to a meh kinda defeat in 2020. Our country is in flux, it is rudderless and it needs leadership. A credible opposition that looks like an alternative government is part of that. Nick and other Labour members have to let go of the comfort blanket and think about the bigger picture. If they don't they will kill the Labour party.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    rcs1000 said:

You can allow immigration, but make the UK a much less attractive destination for unskilled immigration.

Provided, of course, you did the sensible thing and made all benefits contribution based.
    That would require a 'credit' system as well to ensure that people from the UK did not have their safety net cut off.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,399
    edited June 2016

kle4 said:

A list of these shits needs to be collated.
    Lol.

'Your name vill also go on ze list.'
  • Options

All this talk of a snap GE depends on one scenario - that Labour form part of the two-third majority of MP who want it

Quite. And if they want it, odds are the Tories would not.
  • Options
    @euanmccolm:

brexiteers: don't you dare use the civil service.
    remainers: we have no plan for brexit.
    brexiteers: you should have used the civil service.
  • Options

It's a mess.

The PSOE President in Andalucia has said that "her" parliamentarians would not be able to support a Podemos government.

So, elections again in December?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

We should let Iceland win in the football as part of engendering good will with them. Stage 2, apologise for the Cod Wars.
    One article said that 10% of icelandic voters are attending the footy tournament!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The difficulty is that we have a multiply divided electorate and a choice of binary decisions. As Richard observes, the emotional force of the Brexit campaign was immigration, and if a deal is done that doesn't address it, a lot of people are going to be very angry indeed. The obvious beneficiary is UKI, but if a Conservative government has delivered such a deal, I suspect that they would be disproportionately affected by the anger, and it's possible that this would deliver a Labour government offering an alternative policy of seeking to reverse withdrawal while promising an effort on free movement.

What you need is a serious leader with a brain and a backbone, not some nutty old Trot with Stalinist advisors. The country is in crisis. Actual proper crisis, probably the biggest we've faced since the war. And the Shadow Cabinet, instead of opposing a clueless government, has decided to slowly resign en masse.

Great.

Get a fecking grip. Serve your nation. And this means people like you getting over your adolescent Corbyn thing and making Labour relevant and electable. We need an Opposition. My god, we need it.
    Someone should make a movie about SeanT screaming about drying paint.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,953
    Scott_P said:

Reports that he has spent "serious effort" into planning his coronation.

Shame he forgot to plan anything at all for Brexit
    He did look a bit evasive on the news this evening... Surely him and Gove will have at least the bare bones of a plan tomorrow?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

It's a mess.

The PSOE President in Andalucia has said that "her" parliamentarians would not be able to support a Podemos government.

Yep, until the spanish socialists disintegrate.
  • Options

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

One article said that 10% of icelandic voters are attending the footy tournament!
    Yes - there's an amusing side story to this. Apparently they've got a General Election and because they were expecting to have been knocked out by now they didn't make alternative arrangements to vote! So 10% of the electorate has been disenfranchised by their football team's success ;)
  • Options
    Chances of a workable Spanish government in the near term?

Small.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@euanmccolm:

brexiteers: don't you dare use the civil service.
    remainers: we have no plan for brexit.
    brexiteers: you should have used the civil service.

When the decision to have a referendum was made, some sort of contingency plans for each outcome is surely basic good government.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,832
    The EU will come, cap in hand, to the table.

We should turn them away. Not because we're not Europeans, but because they aren't (the representatives).

• Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    edited June 2016
    The four Podemos strands I can see only seem to be hitting around 22% which PSOE seem to be doing better than that. Are there later reporting areas which will swing more towards the various Podemos strands? Am I missing a Podemos strand?

I take it Spain uses electronic counting by the speed of the results?
  • Options
    At least there's no need for the EU to give us a bad deal "pour encourager les autres". All other countries will probably take one look at what's happening here and conclude that no deal is worth it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

It's a mess.

It's a total mess. Rajoy needs to stand down. He clearly cannot deliver a government. After that, who knows? Maybe PSOE will try to drive a wedge between Podemos and IU deputies, then try another deal with Ciudadanos. But that's hard to see.

• Options

There are experts
    Not to flippantly dismiss everything you say, but we Leavers may need a new way to phrase that there are experts supporting various options
  • Options

The IEA Brexit plan was EFTA without EEA.

"...the Single Market is far more than just a customs union, or even a deep and comprehensive free trade zone. Should the UK retain membership of the Single Market, almost all of the most onerous or controversial aspects of EU membership would continue to apply, including the free movement of people and the Working Time Directive. Accordingly, the UK should, unlike Norway, seek to remain outside the European Economic Area (EEA)."

http://www.iea.org.uk/publications/research/the-iea-brexit-prize-a-blueprint-for-britain-openness-not-isolation

• Options
    SeanT said:

Great.

If the scenario in the play 'Threads' had ever happened during the '80s, Labour probably would have been rowing about Bennites and Militant as the cloud went up.

Some of them never let go of student politics.
  • Options
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

He did look a bit evasive on the news this evening... Surely him and Gove will have at least the bare bones of a plan tomorrow?

Yes, they have a long list of names of MPs nominating Boris for PM
  • Options
    edited June 2016

It will be called to give a steer from the public in a time of great uncertainty. Labour can block that, but look a) unpatriotic and b) frit. If they block it, then the Govt. tells the voters it has been forced to use the procedure of calling a vote of no confidence and voting against. Not exactly great optics, but at least there will be a frit Labour Party to point to....
  • Options
    Very interesting thread header Richard.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

EU migration to the EU is bound to reduce in the next six months as news permeates through to potential EU workers of the hostility of SOME UK residents. Vacancies in the care sector will rise as those Brexiters who "want their country back" turn their noses up at the prospect of doing such work.

The irony is that pensioners in retirement homes will be paying a lot more for their care now that they have achieved what they wished for.

Serves them right.
  • Options
    RealBritainRealBritain Posts: 255
    kle4 said:
    No ultra-eurosceptic press in these countries.

Key difference.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Great.

Absolutely spot on. This is no longer about Labour trundling along to a meh kinda defeat in 2020. Our country is in flux, it is rudderless and it needs leadership. A credible opposition that looks like an alternative government is part of that. Nick and other Labour members have to let go of the comfort blanket and think about the bigger picture. If they don't they will kill the Labour party.

Hang on democracy is at stake here

You voted for Ms 4% and came last

59% elected Corbyn and those MPs who cant stand it think they can overturn that decision with a cunning plan.

Sorry they should have read the rules EICIPM introduced more carefully.

Corbyn is leader until he decides to step down,

He won;t do that until Mc Donnell is guaranteed to make the ballot IMO
  • Options
    Could be Spanish exit polls are wrong:
    https://twitter.com/thespainreport/status/747147493767524352
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

The four Podemos strands I can see only seem to be hitting around 22% which PSOE seem to be doing better than that. Are there later reporting areas which will swing more towards the various Podemos strands? Am I missing a Podemos strand?

I take it Spain uses electronic counting by the speed of the results?

Later in the evening is Catalonia, and especially Barcelona, which will benefit Podemos a bit and Citizens a lot.
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    edited June 2016

Any Option that doesn't provide for de facto uk control of immigration, ie we set the level and can change it as our elected representatives decide, isn't going to be sufficient.

If there isn't currently an eu/efta/eea/.. way to do it then they will need to invent one.

The Option either won't pass without it or it won't resolve the problem perceived by tens of millions of uk citizens.

=FAIL

This discussion has been closed.