Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Richard Tyndall on the exit strategy

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,392
    edited June 2016
    Danny565 said:

Nick has made it very clear that he is not interested in Labour being in government. On that basis, if Labour loses more seats at the next election he won't be that bothered.

Yet again, based on the premise that it's undeniable that other candidates would stand a better chance of getting into government, without ANY evidence to back up that premise.
    Well, exactly. As with the failed coups against Gordon, the proposal is to have the revolution first and then someone wonderful will turn up and lead us to paradise. Let's see him and hear what he's got to say.

Meanwhile, I see Southam is making stuff up about me again. I'd like a Labour government that stands for more than just not being the Tories. It is, I'm afraid, a flat lie to twist that into saying that I'm not interested in Labour being in government. I don't normally comment that bluntly, especially to someone who shares a lot of basic values but Southam is a repeat offender. Southam has an absolute right to his opinions about what should be done, or to his interepretation of the implications of other approaches. But when it comes to telling me what I think, kindly either provide a link to prove it or fuck off.

And, unlike Southam, I have to be a little careful about what I say here, since (a) I'm not disguised as a pseudonym and (b) I'm still somewhat involved in several ways and what a longstanding MP and recent PPC says has minor potential news value. I don't say things I don't believe, but I can't always say everything that I think.
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    Scott_P said:

Wow.

By publishing his manifesto in a (very lucrative) Telegraph column Boris has managed to look even more of a klutz and piss off a whole new bunch of people.

Scotty dear, scrap the irredentism, Dave is a goner (as i told you 50days ago - and you choked on a bet).

"the Government will be able to take back democratic control of immigration policy, with a balanced and humane points-based system "

He is committing the next gov (his).

Lock onto Boris - he is the future.

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    I'm probably not going to vote for him but he should be 1.3 on this news.

https://twitter.com/IainDale/status/747204487236943876
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    The Brexit domino effect fuse has been well and truly lit:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-06-26/civil-uprising-escalates-8th-eu-nation-threatens-referendum

Bring it on I say. I said pre Brexit that the EU was like the Ottoman Empire in 1914. Well we have moved to around 1916/7 in just one week. The collapse of the EU simply cannot come soon enough. And it will help matters tremendously in the UK as we'll be able to negotiate free trade agreements with none of the rest of the political baggage that currently comes with it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,140
    Just as Andy's spreadsheet smashed the Hedge Fund models, so I think Richard Tyndall seems to have more of a Brexit plan here than Boris ever had.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,017

The problem Boris (or rather Britain) has right now is that although he's committed to three contradictory things and must know he'd only get one of them, he can't come out and say which one he really wants, because that will make the mendacity of the promises too obvious. So politically he needs to go through this whole negotiation process without revealing what he really wants, then come back and finally say, "Well, I tried my best but I had to give up X and Y to get Z".

The reason this is a problem for Britain is that done this way, British businesses aren't going to know with any certainty whether they'll have market access to the EU from December, 2018 until some time around late October 2018.

There's no chance that Boris will be able to hold together a majority in Parliament for over 2 years without revealing his hand. Without a new election he will be starting out with an incredibly brittle majority, and he would be likely to go backwards if a new election were called. He's snookered himself.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Just as Andy's spreadsheet smashed the Hedge Fund models, so I think Richard Tyndall seems to have more of a Brexit plan here than Boris ever had.

I didn't make a penny out of it, maybe I should have offered it to a few hedge funds, lol.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,327
    Is it safe for me to go to bed? After last night I don't want to take that risk.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Nick has made it very clear that he is not interested in Labour being in government. On that basis, if Labour loses more seats at the next election he won't be that bothered.

Yet again, based on the premise that it's undeniable that other candidates would stand a better chance of getting into government, without ANY evidence to back up that premise.
    Well, exactly. As with the failed coups against Gordon, the proposal is to have the revolution first and then someone wonderful will turn up and lead us to paradise. Let's see him nad hear what he's got to say.

Meanwhile, I see Southam is making stuff up about me again. I'd like a Labour government that stands for more than just not being the Tories. It is, I'm afraid, a flat lie to twist that into saying that I'm not interested in Labour being in government. I don't normally comment that bluntly, especially to someone who shares a lot of basic values but Southam is a repeat offender. Southam has an absolute right to his opinions about what should be done, or to his interepretation of the implications of other approaches. But when it comes to telling me what I think, kindly either provide a link to prove it or fuck off.

And, unlike Southam, I have to be a little careful about what I say here, since (a) I'm not disguised as a pseudonym and (b) I'm still somewhat involved in several ways and what a longstanding MP and recent PPC says has minor potential news value. I don't say things I don't believe, but I can't always say everything that I think.
    Good stuff Nick. Do you think we will come to look back on today as the 'day of the long knives' to paraphrase an event in the Tory party over 50 years ago now?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,327
    edited June 2016
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

I didn't make a penny out of it, maybe I should have offered it to a few hedge funds, lol.
    When If we have a second referendum, you can sell it.

But I owe you several drinks at a future PB meet.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Well, we have an open door to South Korea perhaps, and now we can invest some state money in ourselves rather than other EU countries, why can't we do a deal for a Samsung wafer fab. And start making passenger aircarft with China.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    'The Parliamentary Labour Party will meet on Monday at 6pm and discuss a motion of no confidence against Corbyn, tabled by veteran MPs Margaret Hodge and Ann Coffey. This will likely be followed by a secret ballot on Tuesday between 9am and 5pm. The rebels are confident of winning a majority (though dismiss reports that as many as 80 per cent will oppose Corbyn). But the Labour leader is still unlikely to resign at this juncture. Having entered office with the backing of just 15 MPs (now 14 following the death of Michael Meacher), he is untroubled by losing support that he never truly had. "He's an oddity. Very gentle but very robust," an ally told me.'
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/06/jeremy-corbyn-vows-not-resign-what-next-labour
  • Options
    Dow closing below 17440 last week opened the doors for a slide down to 17100 area. 16900 is a key area as well as the 17100 support. If 16900 can go then that opens the door to the 15370 lows last year. I'd like to see the market offer up the opportunity to get long around 15k on the Dow. Its going to be one heck of an interesting week.

I look forward to more opinion polls on Scottish independence. My brother and sister-in-law in Edinburgh are a couple of new converts to the independence cause. I said 21 months too bloo*y late! Oh well!

And I look forward to Jezza surviving the coup. And if he looks in danger of being overthrown, the Labour plotters need to remember he has the nuclear option available of going public about the events on 'that road' to bring a lot of those disgraceful plotters to book.

As for the Conservative leadership in a forced May Boris choice, I'd be forced to prefer the latter not as though I think Boris is a PM for the times we're in. The thought of the illiberal trampling on civil liberties Theresa May taking over as PM fills me with dread. And she showed what a coward she was in the remain campaign by making just one appearance. She was no leader in the campaign just gone.
  • Options
    PAW said:

Well, we have an open door to South Korea perhaps, and now we can invest some state money in ourselves rather than other EU countries, why can't we do a deal for a Samsung wafer fab. And start making passenger aircarft with China.

When you say 'a deal', do you mean give Samsung a load of subsidies? Government isn't the engine of commerce.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    edited June 2016
    On the subject of plans:

Even Baldrick had a fucking plan.

— Stephen Moore (@steve_m10) June 26, 2016
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,653
    hunchman said:

rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

murali_s said:

hunchman said:

FTSE and DAX futures just over 1% off for tomorrow morning. Sterling trading in the GBPUSD 1.34's - should get a retest of the 1.3213 in fairly short order. 1.2960 offers the longer term support that I think will get challenged at some point this week.

In the long term once the current panic has subsided, the market will figure out that the real problem lies with the Eurozone countries, Italian Banks and Deutsche Bank.....and once this happens, thanks to Brexit, the UK will be seen as a relatively safe port relative to the eurozone.

Comedy gold LOL
    You and your remain apologists have never predicted one economic thing once. In 2000 completely wrong on not joining the euro was going to be an apocalypse. Never saw 2008 coming. Never saw the 2011-12 eurozone crisis coming, and never saw Brexit coming last week so you and your ilk are the last people we go to for economic forecasts. Thankfully the majority of the British people last week saw straight through the remain economic scare stories.
    So, how was the sovereign debt crisis of October 2015?
    Its been shoved off to the start of next year. What started in October 2015 was a crisis in confidence in government worldwide. We saw that with the Brexit vote last week, and are seeing it with the rise of Podemos in Spain. We'll see it with the French and German and US elections coming up. For the moment capital is very confused. The first and stock response to economic slowdown around the world is to sell stocks, and run to nurse in government bonds. This is having the effect of making investors face the wrong way, the necessary move to prepare for a slingshot move in the opposite direction. The scramble to the private assets of stock and gold when this gets going is going to be something to behold next year. But not all stocks are going to well, BKX chart is telling you that bank stocks are going to be weak as they'll be the ones holding the bag on a lot of this government debt.
    You do realise that the left in Spain went backwards?
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    This will calm down. The heads of government at EU level know that the best way to reduce the hysterics thats affecting them as much as us, is to give a little bit of time for things to quieten and space for each side to prepare its plans.

Forget what the mandarins in Brussels who think they are God say, the presidents and prime ministers will call the shots
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553

Is it safe for me to go to bed? After last night I don't want to take that risk.

Just so long as you're not long on GBP/USD, you'll be fine :)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,018

I'm probably not going to vote for him but he should be 1.3 on this news.

https://twitter.com/IainDale/status/747204487236943876

When he came out for Brexit everyone said it was an awful move. But it worked.

I wouldn't trust the man as far as I could throw him, but it would never be wise to bet against him.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

murali_s said:

hunchman said:

FTSE and DAX futures just over 1% off for tomorrow morning. Sterling trading in the GBPUSD 1.34's - should get a retest of the 1.3213 in fairly short order. 1.2960 offers the longer term support that I think will get challenged at some point this week.

In the long term once the current panic has subsided, the market will figure out that the real problem lies with the Eurozone countries, Italian Banks and Deutsche Bank.....and once this happens, thanks to Brexit, the UK will be seen as a relatively safe port relative to the eurozone.

Comedy gold LOL
    You and your remain apologists have never predicted one economic thing once. In 2000 completely wrong on not joining the euro was going to be an apocalypse. Never saw 2008 coming. Never saw the 2011-12 eurozone crisis coming, and never saw Brexit coming last week so you and your ilk are the last people we go to for economic forecasts. Thankfully the majority of the British people last week saw straight through the remain economic scare stories.
    So, how was the sovereign debt crisis of October 2015?
    Its been shoved off to the start of next year. What started in October 2015 was a crisis in confidence in government worldwide. We saw that with the Brexit vote last week, and are seeing it with the rise of Podemos in Spain. We'll see it with the French and German and US elections coming up. For the moment capital is very confused. The first and stock response to economic slowdown around the world is to sell stocks, and run to nurse in government bonds. This is having the effect of making investors face the wrong way, the necessary move to prepare for a slingshot move in the opposite direction. The scramble to the private assets of stock and gold when this gets going is going to be something to behold next year. But not all stocks are going to well, BKX chart is telling you that bank stocks are going to be weak as they'll be the ones holding the bag on a lot of this government debt.
    You do realise that the left in Spain went backwards?
    Podemos went forwards from 69 to 71 - have to say I thought they'd do better than that.

Its still a terrible result for Spain as the deadlock continues though. Will be interesting to see where the IBEX will open tomorrow morning now.

And GBPUSD sliding to the 1.34 level.

With that good night, and good night to the tired establishment and the old order. In with the new!
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,386
    Just staggered back from the pub. Where are we?
  • Options
    PAW said:

"Invest money in ourselves". Only a few hours in any big town in Norway is enough to show that the government has invested internally, not on a Dubai level, but at least on some level, despite what their "experts" say about having to keep all the oil money in the sovereign fund from being invested internally, because of the Dutch disease. In Britain? Investment? Never! The housing and health situations alone are appalling. Even with "education", "investment" tends to mean "construction and PR contracts". Most British towns are falling apart. There are very few exceptions: Winchester, Cambridge, Basingstoke and a few others. But come the glorious day when those European continental fuzzy-wuzzies are seen off, eh? Who do the honest Leavites think they are kidding?
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    williamglenn - but it is when are money is 'invested' in the EU?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

IanB2 said:

Danny565 said:

IanB2 said:

They need someone more effective AND more in tune with their voters especially outside London AND who their members will vote for. I am not sure who is in the middle of that Venn Diagram?

There is no-one. Corbyn is the least-worst option, as far as I can see.

A more competent and charismatic version of Frank Field or John Mann would be closest to what's needed, but, even if such a candidate existed, the Labour "moderates" would be too ideological to allow someone who's Eurosceptic and economically populist to take the helm -- it would damage their desired purity of being "internationalist" and "outward-looking".
    Basically that was what Nick Palmer was saying earlier. In their party they are blessed with a good mix of suitable and electable candidates...but none of those who are suitable are electable and none of those electable are suitable.
    David Miliband, via Batley & Spen by-election.
    It seems impossibly mad. But given the political year so far, is probably about to happen. For this reason, I have a small wager on the Prince.
    It's crazy. The timeline doesn't fit, and a Miliband flying home from a globalist sinecure to 'save Labour, save the UK' would receive a derisory vote, making Kendall look good.

There's only one candidate who could run Jezza close. And he departed the stage 2000 years ago...
    chortle.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    perdix said:

John_N4 said:

SeanT said:

John_N4 said:

"A Yougov poll on 8th June showed that 42% of Leave supporters would prefer the EFTA/EEA route post-Brexit"

And how many understood that that would mean allowing Poles, Romanians and Lithuanians to retain their existing rights to live and work in Britain?

Talking of which, has anyone got rough figures for how foreigners voted in the recent British referendum? These include Australians, Canadians, Indians and other Commonwealth citizens, as well as Irish people.

If Britain leaves the EU, British people will lose our EU citizenship. We will lose our freedom of movement in the EU and our rights to live and work in the EU. Frankly I think that is a matter for British people to decide, not for foreigners whose citizenship and rights will not be affected one way or the other. They themselves will either stay EU citizens - Cypriots, Maltese, Irish - or stay without EU citizenship - Australians, Canadians, Indians, New Zealanders, South Africans, etc. What were they doing on the franchise?

Once we quit the EU (if we do) Britain should suggest free movement between the UK, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand.

Why the F not? Four rich English speaking democracies, all under the Crown. Let's do it.
    I'd love to move to New Zealand. Property prices are much more reasonable, owing to debt being lower.

The Dominions don't want to be flooded by hordes of whingeing POMs.

The NZ property market is crazy out of control. A run of the mill 3 bed house in Auckland will go for around GBP 500k. Prices have doubled in 5 years.

Apparently I'm now a millionaire but I don't really know how it happened.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

'22:38 The Mirror reports that John Spellar, a veteran of Labour's 1980s wars, could run as a "stalking horse" candidate against Corbyn. This would trigger a contest in which potential successors, such as Tom Watson and Angela Eagle, could then stand. Barry Sheerman and Margaret Hodge have also been touted for the role.'

What a joke...

Corbyn probably thinks all this chaos is the long-awaited death of capitalism, and the imminent overthrow by the proletariat of their oppressors - and he's superglued himself to his ringside seat.

He's going nowhere.

Frankly, on his own terms he is a success. How many Tory PMs did millipede/brown get rid of?

Jezza = most successful labour leader for 19y
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,175

The problem Boris (or rather Britain) has right now is that although he's committed to three contradictory things and must know he'd only get one of them, he can't come out and say which one he really wants, because that will make the mendacity of the promises too obvious. So politically he needs to go through this whole negotiation process without revealing what he really wants, then come back and finally say, "Well, I tried my best but I had to give up X and Y to get Z".

The reason this is a problem for Britain is that done this way, British businesses aren't going to know with any certainty whether they'll have market access to the EU from December, 2018 until some time around late October 2018.

There's no chance that Boris will be able to hold together a majority in Parliament for over 2 years without revealing his hand. Without a new election he will be starting out with an incredibly brittle majority, and he would be likely to go backwards if a new election were called. He's snookered himself.
    His hand will be "We will negotiate to get X, Y and Z". This is plenty enough to get through a general election. Only the experts will know he isn't going to get all three, and who listens to them?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,385
    Betfair Next GE market has Con majority at well under a 50% chance.

How does that reconcile with the idea of the next Con leader calling a snap GE?

Surely they won't call a snap GE if it's odds on that they lose their majority?

And the Hung Parliament options are much worse than last time - zero chance of a deal with the Lib Dems.

I guess 315 seats would be enough to stay in office but even so that leaves very little margin for error.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2016

Total meltdown, as before. Nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Does Momentum actually have momentum to purge Labour MP's?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    AndyJS said:

Total meltdown, as before. Nothing to worry about.
    Putin's having a cackle. He's asking if Cameron didn't want this result, why did it happen? As in, is Cameron some kind of a girlyman or what? Even ruder than British editors calling him an "essay crisis PM" when what they mean is he's an incompetent lazy whinger who can't get his finger out and was never up to the job. Got to admit, I was surprised when I learnt that Cameron got a first.

Meanwhile, is it worth laying Boris at 2.22?

Wondering whether Boris and Theresa might punch each other senseless leaving Fox to walk off with it.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,385
    edited June 2016
    John_N4 said:

Meanwhile, is it worth laying Boris at 2.22?

Wondering whether Boris and Theresa might punch each other senseless leaving Fox to walk off with it.

Ian Dale says Boris already has enough MPs to make the Final 2 (see below posts).

IF that's right it's hard to see how Fox also makes the Final 2 as presumably most Brexit MPs will have gone for Boris.
  • Options

His hand will be "We will negotiate to get X, Y and Z". This is plenty enough to get through a general election. Only the experts will know he isn't going to get all three, and who listens to them?
    I'm increasingly convinced that we're all guilty of underestimating Johnson's ambition. He doesn't just want to be PM. He wants to be the man who reshaped Europe.

Article 50 is just a bluff, a sword of Damocles that he will use to turn up the heat on Brussels.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

The trade-off is actually quite simple. Access to the single market [ 0 - 100% ] vs Free Movement of people [ 0 - 100% ] plus contributions to the EU [ less than currently 0-100% ]
  • Options
    FWIW, IG Index has the FTSE 100 down around a further 200 points today at ~ 5930, with the GBP down almost 3 cents against the $US.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,124
    edited June 2016

Danny565 said:

Well, exactly. As with the failed coups against Gordon, the proposal is to have the revolution first and then someone wonderful will turn up and lead us to paradise. Let's see him and hear what he's got to say.

My opinion is that your uncompromising support for Jeremy Corbyn means you have no serious interest in having a Labour government. If you want to know who I am, here you go:
    http://law.scu.edu/wp-content/uploads/hightech/Wild, Joff.pdf

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,867

Danny565 said:

My opinion is that your uncompromising support for Jeremy Corbyn means you have no serious interest in having a Labour government. If you want to know who I am, here you go:
    http://law.scu.edu/wp-content/uploads/hightech/Wild, Joff.pdf

Have some sympathy with Nick. The choice between someone who believes a lot of the same things, but probably isn't going to deliver them, or someone who believes only a few of the same things but very well might, is extremely tough. I know that it's the same choice that faces many voters, particularly in our corrupt voting system (for example LibDem voters face the same decision in most seats every time), but when you are involved in politics its a lot more personal and a lot more painful; the leader is the person who will shape your party and is there to lead and inspire you probably for many years.
  • Options

FWIW, IG Index has the FTSE 100 down around a further 200 points today at ~ 5930, with the GBP down almost 3 cents against the $US.

The £ fell 2% when Asian markets opened last night, but has remained stable overnight. uK markets have just opened and in early trading is holding steady. Although the FTSE closed at ~6100 on Friday it did fall further in grey trading whilst Wall Street was open and we were looking at 5900 this morning, as things have opened however we are only slightly lower at ~6090.

Early days and all we can say for the moment is that Osborne surfacing has delivered ten minutes of stability.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    daodao said:

The abject failure of many senior political figures in the UK to behave in an adult manner is disgraceful.

Cameron should do the honourable thing and inform the 27 leaders of the countries remaining in the EU that the UK is invoking Article 50, when he meets them on Tuesday. The sooner the exit from the sclerotic EU is completed, the sooner the countries in these islands can move forward again. The UK needs a new PM in place asap, well before October. I recall that it didn't take very long for Howard to be put in place in October 2003 when IDS was deposed.

Corbyn has done nothing wrong, yet many of his colleagues in the shadow cabinet are throwing their toys out of the pram by their resignations. He took a rational approach to the EU, arguing on balance and without hysterics to vote Remain and far more Labour voters than Conservative ones followed the advice of their party leader. How does it help Labour to appear so divided when a GE may be just around the corner? If there is a GE later in 2016 and Labour does badly (notwithstanding the strife in the governing party), that would be the time for Labour to choose another leader. It is particularly desirable for Corbyn to be in post as leader on July 6th so that he can try to bring Blair to account as a war criminal when the Chilcott report is finally published.

The only leading politician in Great Britain who is behaving in a statesmanlike manner at present is Nicola Sturgeon. She is clear in what she wishes to achieve for Scotland and is not pussyfooting around.

There are significant similarities with the dying days of the USSR in August 1991 following the failed coup, particularly as the result of this referendum will lead to the break-up of the UK. I regret not having considered this, and suspect that few others did, when casting my vote last Thursday.

The potential threat to the UK was very well flagged during the campaign.

Aside from no-one wanting their name on the article 50, I do think our politicians understand that once it is sent the EU will have the upper hand. In extremis they can just sit there and chuck us out after two years, which means it will be us essentially begging for terms. Whilst we hang the sword of uncertainty and instability over them, there is pressure on them to at least offer some pre-commitments. You are right that getting on with things is both more honest and more constructive, but of course this is politics where neither of those are generally career enhancing.
This discussion has been closed.