Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The results so far have developed not necessarily to Remain

Comments

• Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    Is her Maj purring?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,016

Sky News prediction for UK vote: LEAVE 56%

Which is what my source at Remain texted me 10 mins ago.
  • Options
    GravitationGravitation Posts: 281
    RodCrosby said:

Thrasher predicting 56% LEAVE!

It needs to be a decisive result like that. 12 points would be huge. Something like 52-48 would mean the issue wasn't settled.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    St Helens massive LEAVE result in north west!

Par spreadsheet: Remain 50.4%
    Actual Remain result: 41.98%
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,089
    RodCrosby said:

That would be absolutely enormous win for Leave. How?!?! :o
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    John_M said:

taffys said:

''It is a historical low point for this country, made worse by the evident cluelessness as to what Leave actually want to do. There is nothing to discuss: it is a moral stain on the nation and I will have no part in pursuing this ugly and half-baked hobby horse.''

Stunning grace under fire.

I salute you sir!

Adding that to my 'Magnanimous in victory, gracious in defeat' scrapbook :D
    And let the door smack your arse on the way out.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,445
    If it is LEAVE Trump will be arriving tomorrow and with very happy I expect
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,934
    North Warwickshire...
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    RodCrosby said:

The narration is very pertinent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7wEUlpaYjY
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    "It's not a projection, it's a forecast"

Eh?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,273
    The BBC just completely messed up an interview with Aaron Banks.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Some (eg Meeks but also others) have been suggesting that a Leave win shows our nation at its worst. That it shows us to be negative, small minded etc. The opposite is true. It shows us at our best, proud, positive and upbeat.

The Remain campaign has run on pure fear and (self-)loathing. Some will today have voted Remain due to that fear, but the fact that a majority of the nation seems to have been confident enough in ourselves, confident enough in our ability, confident enough in our future to feel able to vote Leave. It makes me proud to be British.

My grandparents generation weren't cowed by the blitz. We haven't been cowed by Fear.

No, you've been seduced by xenophobia.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Thrasher saying what I told everyone an hour ago...
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    N Warwickshire votes Leave, 66%
  • Options
    BlueberryBlueberry Posts: 408
    Gary Lineker, Barry O’Bama, David Beckham, Jamie Oliver, Rio Ferdinand, Steven Hawking, John Curtiss …. your boys TOOK ONE HELL OF BEATING!!!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,702

Some (eg Meeks but also others) have been suggesting that a Leave win shows our nation at its worst. That it shows us to be negative, small minded etc. The opposite is true. It shows us at our best, proud, positive and upbeat.

The Remain campaign has run on pure fear and (self-)loathing. Some will today have voted Remain due to that fear, but the fact that a majority of the nation seems to have been confident enough in ourselves, confident enough in our ability, confident enough in our future to feel able to vote Leave. It makes me proud to be British.

My grandparents generation weren't cowed by the blitz. We haven't been cowed by Fear.

This is just drivel. Just you wait.....
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,977
    North WARKS!!!
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,934
    Bloody hell, thumping victory there.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,922
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 15m15 minutes ago
    Wellingborough, #EUref result:
    Remain: 37.6% (15,462)
    Leave: 62.4% (25,679)

Oh my God.
  • Options
    OUT said:

Is her Maj purring?

Dave can hear it in person this time when he goes there to resign!
  • Options
    North Warwickshire.

33% Remain
    Par was 40%
  • Options
    (((Dan Hodges))) ‏@DPJHodges 2m2 minutes ago
    Greenwich council leader says "it's too close to call". Greenwich.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

This is the single most incredible electoral result of my lifetime.

Also the most pleasing, and the most scary.

I agree.

I read Charles' moving, and beautifully written reasons for why he voted Leave earlier and knew I'd made the right decision. But I wasn't expecting the numbers looking to agree with it!
    NWarks 66% Leave too!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,039
    edited June 2016
    If Jezza had stuck to his guns and signed Labour up to LEAVE he'd be on his way to becoming PM now. ;)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Oxford:

49,424 (70.3%)
    20,913 (29.7%)

Par was 69.3%.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,345

PlatoSaid said:

We're fucked. All of us.

Quite exciting though, even though many of us will lose our jobs and homes.

It is exciting. Then you remember Johnson, Gove, Patel and co are going to takeover, and millions of ordinary punters are looking at significant damage to their livelihoods, and it becomes a lot less attractive.

From my point of view it's not looking good for the economy, for society and cohesion, or the future of the UK as a unitary state. Still, the sun will still rise tomorrow morning, and it will still be summer.
    What total piffle - you mean The Establishment are going to lose.
    No, I think the ordinary working person will lose.
    Twas ever thus.
    Amen
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    Looks like we'll be playing the great escape theme tomorrow not ode to joy
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Oxford only on par
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    St Helens

That is bedrock 100% labour territory. St Helens.

Goodness.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,736
    New Phenomenon....the shy leaver...aka Little Englanders...aka closest racists...
  • Options
    Fareham votes Leave
  • Options

That would be incredible. Remain should have won that 60-40
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Calling for Leave.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If it is LEAVE Trump will be arriving tomorrow and with very happy I expect

He can borrow 'that poster' if he likes...
  • Options
    Weird that we haven't had any results from London yet. Something to do with the rain?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Shallow comment of the night: what's up with Theresa Villier's hair.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,675
    Even Oxford is much poorer for Remain than expected. Leave at 30 compared with expected 21%
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,243

Sounds unlikely but there's still significant wwc in Eltham, Woolwich and Thamesmead.
  • Options
    RealBritainRealBritain Posts: 255

I'm sorry, but this is an absurd simplification. A campaign including Farage's poster, and continual mention of "foreign criminals", by Gove, can very easily be accused of something other than positive, upbeat jollity. One type of fear has simply beaten another.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Incredible. Remain have been royally fucked.

Tomorrow, despite the armageddon, it will be worth visiting the Twitter feeds of Andrew Cooper, Will Straw and Dan Hodges!
  • Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455
    alex. said:

"It's not a projection, it's a forecast"

Eh?

Oh I know this one (if the person is using it accurately). A projection is a straight line extrapolation of currently available information, a forecast is the manipulation of known information through an interpretative process to extend it in time or space.
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494

At what time today does David Cameron announce his intention to resign?

He really shouldn't. That would be the equivalent of Ed Miliband walking out after the 2015 election, only in this case instead of the Labour Party being left to fall into chaos, he would be leaving the country.

Cameron caused this mess by misjudging the whole situation. The stakes are too high for him to walk away now and abdicate responsibility.
    He is more likely to announce his intention to stand down and start the election process, meanwhile Osborne will attempt to calm things with an emergency budget with co-operation from the leave team. It's probably the best they can do but it will still be chaotic.
  • Options
    I suppose their model has no London data. So surely that is a huge grey area for them?
  • Options
    Dreadful result for Remain in St Helens
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

I'm afraid they have to. Cameron, Osborne and co are finished and need to go asap.

Agreed, but I think we'll get a political vacuum for quite a while. Not only will it be a vacuum in terms of personalities, even more seriously there will be a vacuum in terms of policy, because no homework was done and the Leave campaign jumped on any passing populist bandwagon. The only 100% clear thing about the outcome is that it's a vote against free movement of people. So that rules out the EEA option.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    RobD said:

I suppose their model has no London data. So surely that is a huge grey area for them?

Par for London as a whole is 66%. Over 70% in a lot of places.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,500
    Britain has chosen to be the lab rat in a giant experiment, breaking with the course of Western history since WW2, and the people leading the charge seemingly have no idea of what is at stake.
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651
    edited June 2016
    Off to bed, finally.

Thanks.

• Options
    Oxford Remain 70%
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Stunning insights from the BBC. Apparently swingback might not have happened.
  • Options
    Blueberry said:

Gary Lineker, Barry O’Bama, David Beckham, Jamie Oliver, Rio Ferdinand, Steven Hawking, John Curtiss …. your boys TOOK ONE HELL OF BEATING!!!

So has the pound.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,943
    £ nearly lost 8c. :-0
  • Options
    BBC / Sky pushing this narrative that it isn't just Leave doing better in "their" areas, Remain doing better in theirs....Fathead just said that about Oxford for Remain....I think we know better on here.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Scott_P said:

@graemewearden: Futures market predicting a massive selloff -- FTSE 100 being called down 6% https://t.co/QhtxxuhyCk

Unheard of... oh wait.
  • Options
    taffys said:

This People vs The Establishment is most amusing.

The implications are huge. The global establishment threw everything....everything at this Ms Plato.

And it looks like they are being beaten.

Brendan O'Neill is ringing in my ears.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,493
    Thrak said:

At what time today does David Cameron announce his intention to resign?

He really shouldn't. That would be the equivalent of Ed Miliband walking out after the 2015 election, only in this case instead of the Labour Party being left to fall into chaos, he would be leaving the country.

Cameron caused this mess by misjudging the whole situation. The stakes are too high for him to walk away now and abdicate responsibility.
    He is more likely to announce his intention to stand down and start the election process, meanwhile Osborne will attempt to calm things with an emergency budget with co-operation from the leave team. It's probably the best they can do but it will still be chaotic.
    No. Cameron needs to stay on for the immediate future. He does, however, need a major unifying reshuffle today. Promote leavers, Osborne out of the Treasury. Boris Party Chairman.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,038

I'm afraid they have to. Cameron, Osborne and co are finished and need to go asap.

Agreed, but I think we'll get a political vacuum for quite a while. Not only will it be a vacuum in terms of personalities, even more seriously there will be a vacuum in terms of policy, because no homework was done and the Leave campaign jumped on any passing populist bandwagon. The only 100% clear thing about the outcome is that it's a vote against free movement of people. So that rules out the EEA option.

Yep - but Leave owns all of this. They just have to deliver.

• Options
    Greenwich too close to call? Supposed to be about 60% Remain.
  • Options

CLAPS
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    edited June 2016

Britain has chosen to be the lab rat in a giant experiment, breaking with the course of Western history since WW2, and the people leading the charge seemingly have no idea of what is at stake.

The same could have been said on the eve of the industrial revolution, or when we broke from the Papacy, or when we declared war on Germany in 1939.

We are a revolutionary country.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Greenwich should be 60-40 Remain.
  • Options
    Blueberry said:

I was planning on doing one of these for Leavers but looks like I am denied that chance!

Why do I lose every election?!?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Is this the nail in the coffin on Project Fear? The SNP would be mad not to call indyref2 for as soon after Brexit as possible, when Scots will be most inclined to leave the UK. the economic arguments won't wash this time. Nicola should phrase the referendum as Scotland refusing to leave the EU and therefore requiring a separation from the rest of the UK
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Now come on sir. Look at that comment, and think how patronising it might sound. You do not have a monopoly on geopolitical analysis.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    That Lambeth vote almost eliminated the Leave lead!

Oh, right it was Lambeth+Exeter+Oxford
  • Options
    Lambeth 79% Remain
  • Options
    Exeter 55% Remain
  • Options
    University town Exeter 1% better for Remain than par.
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649

FFS have a word with yourself.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    HYUFD said:

Oxford Remain 70%

Stunningly out of touch with reality in the rest of the country!
  • Options
    Lambeth overperforms for Remain there right?
  • Options
    Glasgow coming now.......
  • Options
    BlueberryBlueberry Posts: 408

Blueberry said:

So has the pound.
    Couldn't give a toss about the £. It'll be up again next week.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Blueberry said:

I was planning on doing one of these for Leavers but looks like I am denied that chance!

Populus, YouGov, ORB, ICM, Survey Monkey.....your boys TOOK ONE HELL OF A BEATING (AGAIN) !!!!!
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    edited June 2016

Yes, EEA and access to the single market are dead. The emergency measures taken need to be based on that.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Lambeth overperforms for Remain there right?

Yep - about 4.5%
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Glasgow:

Remain 168,335 (66.6%)
    Leave 84,474 (33.4%)
  • Options
    Rob Ford saying London has some "heavy lifting" to do to save the day.
  • Options
    Remain now in the lead!
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited June 2016
    And now that the campaign is over I can reveal why the pollsters got it wrong.

The pollsters who got the result right last time still changed their methodology, they tried to fix something that was all right and they broke it.

The pollsters who got things wrong last time tried to correct this, and they where bang on the Ref result last week, the problem is that they kept changing their methodology all the time, or they simply disregarded their polls and did forecasts instead.

Populus was simply working for Remain so it's no surprise they publised those numbers.
    The Remain campaign knew that they where going to lose, that's why Cameron panicked and did that speech in front of No.10 .
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Exeter above par for Remain.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    Sky doing a bit on the forex - both channels really ought to have kept some biz/econ correspondents up all night to watch the markets in case something like this happened. The studio bods seem to struggle keeping up with the data coming in, especially above/below par, they might actually do better to watch the currency.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Lambeth better for Remain.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,016

Freggles said:

Blueberry said:

Populus, YouGov, ORB, ICM, Survey Monkey.....your boys TOOK ONE HELL OF A BEATING (AGAIN) !!!!!
    ICM called it right, ditto TNS
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

University town Exeter 1% better for Remain than par.

Oxford around 1% better.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,943
    Remain lead.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,408
    Scott_P said:

@graemewearden: Futures market predicting a massive selloff -- FTSE 100 being called down 6% https://t.co/QhtxxuhyCk

More interesting will be FTSE 250, as FTSE 100 is full of companies with international earnings that do better in the case of Brexit. We own Wolsely, for example, which is a big US Dollar earner.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,038

We're fucked. All of us.

Quite exciting though, even though many of us will lose our jobs and homes.

It is exciting. Then you remember Johnson, Gove, Patel and co are going to takeover, and millions of ordinary punters are looking at significant damage to their livelihoods, and it becomes a lot less attractive.

Unfortunately I think it's worse than that. It was completely clear from the campaign that they are not ready to take over, and haven't got the least clue even about the economic danger, let alone about a plan for dealing with it.

Well done SO - you got a prediction right at last!

Actually, I'm on a roll. Next tip: buy shares in Betrayal.

• Options
    Glasgow better for LEAVE
  • Options
    Remain 50.7% Leave 49.3% nationally now
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Crossover again?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Re-crossover. God knows why
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Uncrossover caused by Lambeth?
  • Options

Sky doing a bit on the forex - both channels really ought to have kept some biz/econ correspondents up all night to watch the markets in case something like this happened. The studio bods seem to struggle keeping up with the data coming in, especially above/below par, they might actually do better to watch the currency.

The BBC has done that.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    crossover back....come on
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,352
    Leave drifting....bit odd
  • Options
    Lambeth 79% Remain. Par was 75%.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Shallow comment of the night: what's up with Theresa Villier's hair.

Her parents watched Crystaltips and Alistair.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Greenwich too close to call? Supposed to be about 60% Remain.

Wow. My mind is blown, knew the North would vote out but the South is putting the boot in too.

Am still reeling from Bury, tbh. Went to school there, its a stable and hardworking bit of Greater Manchester. My mum's generation are carrying this.
This discussion has been closed.