Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The referendum: The affluent versus the non-affluent summed

Comments

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    nunu said:

This not listening to experts meme is not going to help Remain. People just don't believe them anymore. Not saying its a good thing. Just the way it is.

It's unarguably not a good thing. The Trumpification of politics is bad news. For everybody.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    Scott_P said:

More bloody experts

@Breakingviews: Brexit could trigger a liquidity migraine. @swahapattanaik https://t.co/9uZQRipF2D https://t.co/ceHEkFXy5K

Luckily, nobody is listening to them...

They aren't
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

JamesP said:

nunu said:

Remain relying on 18-24 year olds in full time education. Lol. Their turnout will be 55℅ at best.

*Anecdote Alert* During the 2010 General Election, my university had a polling station for the roughly 1500 people living on campus. Apparently turnout was around 30%, yes some people may have voted in their home constituency, by post, but I don't suspect the number was particularly great, I only know of two people who did and one them was myself. Maybe the EU Referendum will enthuse a higher turnout, personally I doubt whether students 18-24, will be able to get to 50% turnout.
    18-24 year olds have historically had low-turnout, and the old have traditionally had high turnout
    Good for Leave

ABs and the university educated usually turn up to vote, and those without qualifications or in C2 or DE are less likely to
    Good for Remain

I think TC has this one right; if the WWC turns up, it's Leave. If they don't, it's Remain.
    I don't accept that it is the WWC who are voting in strength for Leave . The WWC I suspect will think about the threat to their jobs and vote Remain . The WNWC , the unemployed and shirkers who expect to receive benefits whilst sitting at home watching horse racing on the TV on the other hand will vote strongly for Leave
    You might not accept it, but they are. You may think it irrational, they though should think about threat to their jobs, but most don't appear to care - or they think there's threats to those anyway, so why not express the anger they have toward the EU and the government.
    We shall see on Thursday who is right .
    Are you sure ?

That would be a remarkably quick analysis of the polling seeing as not even Sunderland will have finished the count by midnight :D
  • Options

RobD said:

Given the US has the 4th July, what about the 5th July? It would make things easier what with the inter-connected banking system. And 5th July is the anniversary of the 1945 general election.

What's wrong with 23rd June? ;)
    Indeed, it's my birthday as well as being very adjacent to the summer Solstice.
    It's my birthday today :D !
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    TudorRose said:

nunu said:

Remain relying on 18-24 year olds in full time education. Lol. Their turnout will be 55℅ at best.

I do wonder about the reliability of turnout figures for this age group. Remember that most students can be registered to vote in 2 places but can only vote in 1, which caps the turnout for them at 50%.
    Since this is a national election does it matter where people are registered?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@ftwestminster: Brexiters split into nice and nasty camps https://t.co/26jeLWh7yV

Remainers do too

Osbornites (nasty fokkers ) and human beings.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Given the US has the 4th July, what about the 5th July? It would make things easier what with the inter-connected banking system. And 5th July is the anniversary of the 1945 general election.

Happy birthday!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

JamesP said:

nunu said:

*Anecdote Alert* During the 2010 General Election, my university had a polling station for the roughly 1500 people living on campus. Apparently turnout was around 30%, yes some people may have voted in their home constituency, by post, but I don't suspect the number was particularly great, I only know of two people who did and one them was myself. Maybe the EU Referendum will enthuse a higher turnout, personally I doubt whether students 18-24, will be able to get to 50% turnout.
    18-24 year olds have historically had low-turnout, and the old have traditionally had high turnout
    Good for Leave

ABs and the university educated usually turn up to vote, and those without qualifications or in C2 or DE are less likely to
    Good for Remain

I think TC has this one right; if the WWC turns up, it's Leave. If they don't, it's Remain.
    I don't accept that it is the WWC who are voting in strength for Leave . The WWC I suspect will think about the threat to their jobs and vote Remain . The WNWC , the unemployed and shirkers who expect to receive benefits whilst sitting at home watching horse racing on the TV on the other hand will vote strongly for Leave
    Is that assertion based upon polling evidence or sheer prejudice?
    Yes based on polling evidence . Around 6 weeks ago ( ICM IIRC ) had a poll which showed Leave being favoured by only 2 groups the Unemployed and the Retired . You and several other Leavers on here got quite upset with me when I pointed this out .
    Things have moved on. All polls show working class voters favour Leave now. Home owners also favour Leave. Are you saying home owners are chavvy layabouts?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Andrea Leadsom
    An open letter to my constituents on why we should Vote Leave on Thursday:
    https://t.co/woTi4osEBw
    @vote_leave
  • Options
    StarfallStarfall Posts: 78
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Fenster said:

Boris should go on telly on Weds and offer the final Friday in June as a national bank holiday called British Independence Day.

That'd set the cat among the pigeons.

Not another f*cking bank holiday please.

I'd vote for any political party that offered to cut it back to two: New Year's day and one in the summer.
    They could call themselves The Popular Party

Not.
    It's not clear to me why the government should be in the business of legislating when people work.
    Are you an employer by any chance?
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274

taffys said:

''Sitting in Hampstead, and I realise I'm getting a very London-centric view, I'm not sure I agree. It's 29-1 in my office, and I've counted North of 30 Remain posters in my 'hood at the weekend, against zero for Leave.''

Indeed, but ABC1 takes many forms. JohnO has posted how shocked he was at the support for Leave in Elmbridge, which is Britain's taxpayer powerhouse.

I have a feeling when some pollsters think ABC1 they think well paid public sector civil servants - but anyway, we shall see.

I've done several canvassing sessions with Labour In in London - admittedly it's a borough identified as leaning to Remain but the results have been overwhelming - you're looking at more than 70% remain - perhaps 80% assuming the don't knows split 50-50. Leavers are a tiny minority, even in social housing estates.
    Other canvassers have reported the contrary. Perhaps punters just tell you what they think you want to hear.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    PlatoSaid said:

New Vote Leave poster playing Remain at their own game

New EU rules on tax could cost each household over £2,600 ─► https://t.co/sVfUAQi1bE

#VoteLeave https://t.co/LG33aHaHXU

Ironically, I read the document on the VAT proposal last night while discussing the EU with a friend online (I know, I'm a bit sad).

It does strike me that it actually said nearly the opposite of what Vote Leave are claiming - that the EU propose making VAT exclusions and zero rating more flexible, and suggest either making it easier and swifter to update the list of exclusions and zero rating, or getting rid of the entire list and letting Member States largely do exclusions and zero ratings as they see fit.

To be fair, the earlier Remain bombshell had a large amount of bullshit in it (exaggeration of actual claims and taking worst cases, plus comparing between two alternative rates of increase), but this one is actually diametrically opposed to what it's based on.

Sadly, I'm confident very few will bother to check either.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Scott_P said:

nunu said:

This not listening to experts meme is not going to help Remain. People just don't believe them anymore. Not saying its a good thing. Just the way it is.

It's unarguably not a good thing. The Trumpification of politics is bad news. For everybody.
    When environments are changing, experts are the absolute worst predictors. They have the most invested in the existing paradigm.

I am anti-Trump. But the Trumpification of politics, as you put it, has come about not because of him, but because of the serial failures of the expert politicians.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169

RobD said:

Today is the Solstice (leap year)!
  • Options

taffys said:

''Sitting in Hampstead, and I realise I'm getting a very London-centric view, I'm not sure I agree. It's 29-1 in my office, and I've counted North of 30 Remain posters in my 'hood at the weekend, against zero for Leave.''

Indeed, but ABC1 takes many forms. JohnO has posted how shocked he was at the support for Leave in Elmbridge, which is Britain's taxpayer powerhouse.

I have a feeling when some pollsters think ABC1 they think well paid public sector civil servants - but anyway, we shall see.

I've done several canvassing sessions with Labour In in London - admittedly it's a borough identified as leaning to Remain but the results have been overwhelming - you're looking at more than 70% remain - perhaps 80% assuming the don't knows split 50-50. Leavers are a tiny minority, even in social housing estates.
    Which area of London please.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Anorak said:

So, putting it simply, the people most likely to swing a leave vote are those who currently contribute the least, and those who will have to live with the consequences for the shortest amount of time.

Ain't democracy grand.

They are people who have been left behind by globalisation. Either old dogs who don't want to learn new tricks or dogs who never had any tricks. I don't think they are right about the EU, but leaving is a rational choice for them and I think their thinking deserves some understanding.
    Most pensioners do not care as much about themselves as they do about the futures of their children and grandchildren. Please take that as a starting point and then think about why the vote as they do.
    The issue with that is that their children and grandchildren have a different view from them as to where their own interests lie. I don't intend to denigrate older people's viewpoints and I can see it might have come across that I do. It's that the world is a different place from what it was in the seventies and before.
    Mr 43, A child may well have a different view on an issue from its parent. That does not however stop the parent from doing what it thinks it is in the best interest of the child, and nor should it.
    I didn't say it does nor that it should. Apart from the fact people have perfectly sensible reasons for making their individual and different choices - as a generalisation I think Leave is a rational choice for older people, as I said at the start.
    Fair Go, Mr 43, let me phrase it another way. It doesn't matter a toss to me (an older person) personally whether we stay in or go out, I am not likely to be around long enough to be bothered either way. What I do care about is the future my son will have to cope with. So I'll vote accordingly.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Starfall said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Fenster said:

Boris should go on telly on Weds and offer the final Friday in June as a national bank holiday called British Independence Day.

I'd vote for any political party that offered to cut it back to two: New Year's day and one in the summer.

Not.
    It's not clear to me why the government should be in the business of legislating when people work.
    I've created several hundred jobs in the UK. You?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Andrea Leadsom
    An open letter to my constituents on why we should Vote Leave on Thursday:
    https://t.co/woTi4osEBw
    @vote_leave

Leave vote will be yuge in South Northamptonshire.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    nunu said:

TudorRose said:

nunu said:

I do wonder about the reliability of turnout figures for this age group. Remember that most students can be registered to vote in 2 places but can only vote in 1, which caps the turnout for them at 50%.
    Yes if they are registered twice, because it will bring the aggregate turnout down. In the case of students who are registered at home and at college they will have a maximum turnout of 50% even if they all vote. Probably doesn't make a big difference overall but could be a significant factor in why official turnout stats have such low figures amongst 18-24s.
  • Options
    PeterC said:

taffys said:

Other canvassers have reported the contrary. Perhaps punters just tell you what they think you want to hear.
    I think it's more a case of where one is canvassing. Canvass Lambeth, and you'll get overwhelming support for Remain. Canvass Havering, and you'll get overwhelming support for Leave.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    As I type there is £60k wanting to lay Remain at around 1/3 on betfair.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343
    Strange couple of threads - mass panic among Leavers for no obvious reason except the markets, and that could be profit-taking or false rumours or who knows what. The weekend polls did suggest that Remain was catching up, but overcoming the undoubtedly less favouralbe postasl votes must be a challenge.

I replied in the last thread about Remain GOTV work - lots in London, not sure about elsewhere. Is there a serious Leave GOTV operation?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

JamesP said:

nunu said:

Good for Leave

Good for Remain

Is that assertion based upon polling evidence or sheer prejudice?
    Yes based on polling evidence . Around 6 weeks ago ( ICM IIRC ) had a poll which showed Leave being favoured by only 2 groups the Unemployed and the Retired . You and several other Leavers on here got quite upset with me when I pointed this out .
    Things have moved on. All polls show working class voters favour Leave now. Home owners also favour Leave. Are you saying home owners are chavvy layabouts?
    I would expect renters to do better out of Brexit than home owners, especially in London.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited June 2016
    @nunu

'Since this is a national election does it matter where people are registered?

Yes, if they are registered at Uni & are now back home.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    Scott_P said:

nunu said:

No, it's a hugely 'good thing'. The corollary of 'experts' doing the thinking is people not doing the thinking. That's the whole point. Stay in the EU, because experts say so. We've got it right on health even though you're sick. There's no God, because Professor Dawkins has written so on a bus - so that's ok then. The reaction isn't against intellectuals, it's against an obnoxious and compromised commentariat using men in white coats as a stick to beat independent thought out of people, not into them. Blanket dismissal of such pronouncements isn't a sophisticated response, but as a default one it could be worse.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

nunu said:

TudorRose said:

nunu said:

Yes if they are registered twice, because it will bring the aggregate turnout down. In the case of students who are registered at home and at college they will have a maximum turnout of 50% even if they all vote. Probably doesn't make a big difference overall but could be a significant factor in why official turnout stats have such low figures amongst 18-24s.
    Does anyone check that they dont vote twice?
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Anorak said:

So, putting it simply, the people most likely to swing a leave vote are those who currently contribute the least, and those who will have to live with the consequences for the shortest amount of time.

Ain't democracy grand.

They are people who have been left behind by globalisation. Either old dogs who don't want to learn new tricks or dogs who never had any tricks. I don't think they are right about the EU, but leaving is a rational choice for them and I think their thinking deserves some understanding.
    Most pensioners do not care as much about themselves as they do about the futures of their children and grandchildren. Please take that as a starting point and then think about why the vote as they do.
    The issue with that is that their children and grandchildren have a different view from them as to where their own interests lie. I don't intend to denigrate older people's viewpoints and I can see it might have come across that I do. It's that the world is a different place from what it was in the seventies and before.
    Mr 43, A child may well have a different view on an issue from its parent. That does not however stop the parent from doing what it thinks it is in the best interest of the child, and nor should it.
    I didn't say it does nor that it should. Apart from the fact people have perfectly sensible reasons for making their individual and different choices - as a generalisation I think Leave is a rational choice for older people, as I said at the start.
    Fair Go, Mr 43, let me phrase it another way. It doesn't matter a toss to me (an older person) personally whether we stay in or go out, I am not likely to be around long enough to be bothered either way. What I do care about is the future my son will have to cope with. So I'll vote accordingly.
    Spot on Mr L.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Starfall said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Fenster said:

Not.
    I agree wholly with your POV on bank holidays; they just happen to be very popular.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Happy Birthday, Mr. Star! :D
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

nunu said:

TudorRose said:

nunu said:

But vote will still count if they are registered in one area and vote in another? Surely it should?
  • Options

No, it's a hugely 'good thing'.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@nunu

It's also one reason why Oxford and Cambridge (and Edinburgh to an extent) need careful consideration before you back them as the 'most remain' voting areas.
  • Options

Strange couple of threads - mass panic among Leavers for no obvious reason except the markets, and that could be profit-taking or false rumours or who knows what. The weekend polls did suggest that Remain was catching up, but overcoming the undoubtedly less favouralbe postasl votes must be a challenge.

I replied in the last thread about Remain GOTV work - lots in London, not sure about elsewhere. Is there a serious Leave GOTV operation?

Not in Luton, but huge amounts of leafletting. We decided that the lack of historical canvassing data would have made it very difficult to do an effective canvass.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Starfall said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Fenster said:

Not.
    I agree wholly with your POV on bank holidays; they just happen to be very popular.
    Also encourages national culture as people can organise events knowing most people wont be working or usual weekend commitments.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

JamesP said:

nunu said:

Good for Leave

Good for Remain

You might not accept it, but they are. You may think it irrational, they though should think about threat to their jobs, but most don't appear to care - or they think there's threats to those anyway, so why not express the anger they have toward the EU and the government.
    I think the WWC have a number of things on their minds, including their jobs. But not quite as you state:

1. they are concerned that immigration has suppressed their wages and will continue to do so
    2. they are concerned with losing their jobs - but this could be neutral. Leave could result in immediate job losses, then stabilization if immigration is brought under control. Remain could result in job losses, if immigration is unfettered.

PS I am not positing these as my views, but how the decision could be seen from the WWC perspective.
  • Options
    Whatever the result, we can take solace in the fact that there'll be tears before bedtime for either Farage or Osborne come Friday morning.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Happy birthday :cookie:
  • Options
    nunu said:

TudorRose said:

nunu said:

TudorRose said:

nunu said:

But vote will still count if they are registered in one area and vote in another? Surely it should?
    Yes, but because they are registered in two areas, one area will show a voter (and increase turnout) and the other will show a non-voter (and reduce turnout). The individual will have one vote but the turnout figure will be 1/2 (50%).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Jonathan said:
    It's Remain's Last Best Chance.....
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    Sean_F said:

PeterC said:

taffys said:

I think it's more a case of where one is canvassing. Canvass Lambeth, and you'll get overwhelming support for Remain.
    You would think so - but my (almost certainly not demographically correct) conversations are coming back something like 60% Remain rather than the 85%+ Remain that I was expecting. Quite a few 'Green Leaves' type voters as well as a long-term Kate Hoey / Old Labour voters that are following her lead and going 'Leave'.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Jonathan said:
    Cats would be solidly behind Brexit. They don't like other cats down the street in general, let alone ones from the rest of the EU.

And despite having complete freedom of movement, they never intentionally head off more than about 150 yards from home.
  • Options
    £70k now wanting lay Remain at around 1/3, anybody confident either way is a mug. One slip up or unexpected event between now and thursday will seal it. The dreadful murder last week hasn't changed a thing, a howler tomorrow night might do.
  • Options

TudorRose said:

nunu said:

TudorRose said:

nunu said:

I asked this question about a week ago and the consensus was no. Makes you think, doesn't it?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,960

PlatoSaid said:

New EU rules on tax could cost each household over £2,600 ─► https://t.co/sVfUAQi1bE

Ironically, I read the document on the VAT proposal last night while discussing the EU with a friend online (I know, I'm a bit sad).

It does strike me that it actually said nearly the opposite of what Vote Leave are claiming - that the EU propose making VAT exclusions and zero rating more flexible, and suggest either making it easier and swifter to update the list of exclusions and zero rating, or getting rid of the entire list and letting Member States largely do exclusions and zero ratings as they see fit.

To be fair, the earlier Remain bombshell had a large amount of bullshit in it (exaggeration of actual claims and taking worst cases, plus comparing between two alternative rates of increase), but this one is actually diametrically opposed to what it's based on.

The EU takes a percentage of all VAT receipts as part of its funding settlement. With the current and deepening funding crisis in the EU there is no way they are going to allow any reduction in the amount of money they get from this source. Certainly they cannot let member states set the minimum rates and exclusions.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:
    Cats would be solidly behind Brexit. They don't like other cats down the street in general, let alone ones from the rest of the EU.
    What about dogs? They have rabies concerns, of course.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It depends what you're using experts for.

If I'm having my brain operated on, absolutely, I would far prefer to have a qualified brain surgeon doing the job than a bus driver.

If I ask the brain surgeon or the bus driver for his opinion on political matters, there's no reason why I should assume that one is better qualified to answer than the other.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

JamesP said:

nunu said:

Good for Leave

Good for Remain

We shall indeed.

Selfishly of course a remain vote would be OK - it means I can vote my conscience without worry.

• Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    TudorRose said:

john_zims said:

@nunu

It's also one reason why Oxford and Cambridge (and Edinburgh to an extent) need careful consideration before you back them as the 'most remain' voting areas.
    Believe me students or not Oxford is a sea of remain posters.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Jonathan said:
    I expect Plato's cats are trying to tell her something.
  • Options
    Fenman said:

TudorRose said:

john_zims said:

@nunu

That's because they left them up before they went home! Seriously, the campus up here (Lancaster) is very quiet and almost no posters.
  • Options
    Fenman said:

TudorRose said:

john_zims said:

@nunu

So was Tessa Munt's constituency last year. Fat lot of good it did her.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,382
    Pulpstar said:

Whatever the result, we can take solace in the fact that there'll be tears before bedtime for either Farage or Osborne come Friday morning.

There will. And then Farage will carry on as leader as before.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

RobD said:

Stonehenge at the Solstice is still on my bucket list - but not much point if it is too cloudy to se the sunrise. Maybe next year.

One of the few places you'll see a weirder collection of individuals than pb.com....
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @rcs1000

'I would expect renters to do better out of Brexit than home owners, especially in London.'

Renters & young people struggling to get on the property ladder in London.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

If I'm having my brain operated on, absolutely, I would far prefer to have a qualified brain surgeon doing the job than a bus driver.

If I ask the brain surgeon or the bus driver for his opinion on political matters, there's no reason why I should assume that one is better qualified to answer than the other.
    It's quite amusing.

You use experts for their in depth knowledge of a limited subject.

A referendum is a generalist matter which covers a wide range of issues.

Over reliance on experts simply says youve not understood the exercise
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

Not sure I agree about the postals. Foreign resident Brits and students do not a brexit make.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    john_zims said:

@nunu

So they wont be able to have their say? What a shame lol.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Oh lets hope they both get out of bed crying.

It would cheer us all up.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. Pulpstar, happy birthday.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,960
    weejonnie said:

Anorak said:

Ain't democracy grand.

On the other hand, young people tend to be foolish and thus it's only for the good that their decisions are somewhat diluted by older and wiser heads!

I've got three degrees and I'm voting Leave. I acknowledge that I am unusual...
    I have one degree and I am voting Leave - or at least I would if my wife weren't supporting remain and is out of the country with no proxy vote - the things you do for marital harmony. Anyone have Zero or Minus one degree?

Anyway - more important than the footy is the euro 2016 bridge tournament http://www.eurobridge.org/repository/competitions/16budapest/microsite/RunningScores/Asp/RoundTeamsConditStatClassicMod.asp?qtournid=1210&qshowflag=1 England trouncing Scotland.
    Since this seems to be the habit today... I also have a degree and have spent most of my life working overseas both inside and outside the EU.

And of course I am voting Leave.

The degree/non degree split is a red herring really. Certainly in terms of looking at what sort of people vote Leave or Remain. It stems from the fact that until the mid to late 90s not that many people actually went to university. I went in the early/mid 80s and at the time the rate of school leavers going on to higher education was les than 5%. It is now 50%.

Given that the young are far more Europhile than those of my age and older it is hardly surprising that we see more university educated voting for Remain. It is a simple function of age.

What would be genuinely interesting would be to see the Remain/Leave split amongst those with degrees who are over the age of 50.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

It's quite amusing.

Particularly when they use their expertise to support the case for their desired political outcome.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    12/5 on England voting Leave seems pretty generous.

ICM had a 6pt lead on the phones and 8pts online last week.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Pulpstar said:

Oh lets hope the both get out of bed crying.

How many un-resignations will there be, by the end of Friday?

• Options
    TudorRose said:

TudorRose said:

nunu said:

TudorRose said:

nunu said:

I asked this question about a week ago and the consensus was no. Makes you think, doesn't it?
    Very few will be able bothered to vote at Warwick uni then again in the home counties. Calm down.
  • Options
    So Eagles and Sturgeon have been dropped for the second leg, whilst Leave field an unchanged side?
  • Options

geoffw said:

RobD said:

Stonehenge at the Solstice is still on my bucket list - but not much point if it is too cloudy to se the sunrise. Maybe next year.

One of the few places you'll see a weirder collection of individuals than pb.com....
    I suspect that a lot of both our politicians and posters here would get uncomfortably high marks in one of those DIY aspergers/autism tests.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

12/5 on England voting Leave seems pretty generous.

ICM had a 6pt lead on the phones and 8pts online last week.

fill your boots
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,313

weejonnie said:

Anorak said:

Ain't democracy grand.

On the other hand, young people tend to be foolish and thus it's only for the good that their decisions are somewhat diluted by older and wiser heads!

I have one degree and I am voting Leave - or at least I would if my wife weren't supporting remain and is out of the country with no proxy vote - the things you do for marital harmony. Anyone have Zero or Minus one degree?

Anyway - more important than the footy is the euro 2016 bridge tournament http://www.eurobridge.org/repository/competitions/16budapest/microsite/RunningScores/Asp/RoundTeamsConditStatClassicMod.asp?qtournid=1210&qshowflag=1 England trouncing Scotland.
    Since this seems to be the habit today... I also have a degree and have spent most of my life working overseas both inside and outside the EU.

The degree/non degree split is a red herring really. Certainly in terms of looking at what sort of people vote Leave or Remain. It stems from the fact that until the mid to late 90s not that many people actually went to university. I went in the early/mid 80s and at the time the rate of school leavers going on to higher education was les than 5%. It is now 50%.

Given that the young are far more Europhile than those of my age and older it is hardly surprising that we see more university educated voting for Remain. It is a simple function of age.

What would be genuinely interesting would be to see the Remain/Leave split amongst those with degrees who are over the age of 50.
    Richard did you see my response to you on both threads earlier?
  • Options
    Mr. Meek, Rudd also dropped.

It's Sadiq Khan, Frances O'Grady and Ruth Davidson[sp] for Remain.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    nunu said:

john_zims said:

@nunu

Nice to see that you are happy to see people being disenfranchised.

Still, I suppose it's a step up from the other day when you were encouraging RochdalePioneers to miscount Remain votes in his role as an official counter.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

Anorak said:

Ain't democracy grand.

In all likelihood, most retired professional people took their qualifications while working as trainees, rather than going to university.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

It's quite amusing.

Particularly when they use their expertise to support the case for their desired political outcome.
    The funniest thing Ive seen today was an interview on BBC Breakfast where the young lady representing Remain look positively affronted that people could quite happily consign the experts advice to the bin.

Poor dear maybe when she gets older she'll understand.
  • Options
    Somebody suggested earlier that the move to Remain was the result of private polling by financial institutions. They've swung back slightly which disproves that point. If Remain were confident, having been 20 points clear at one stage they'd be 1.10 on betfair. Its just trading and arbing now by shrewdies, punters and politicos are pinstickers, nothing more.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797
    Jobabob said:

nunu said:

john_zims said:

@nunu

I want as many people to vote as possible, but that's not really disenfranchisement is it? Except self disenfranchisement
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited June 2016
    To quote Spike Milligan :" Rhubarb"
  • Options
    Nigel Farage and his motley crew don’t speak for everyone in the Leave campaign and I feel sorry for the good and decent and intelligent and downright nice people who are on that side of the dispute but who do not much care for Farage and his game. But these are the people you lie with and that, in the end, is a choice.

What’s more, it’s hard to disassociate yourselves from Farageist excess when the official campaign prattles on about how Turkey is going to be joining the EU. And, nudge-nudge, wink-wink, you know what that means, don’t you? Of course you do. There’s a spectrum and if Farage and Arron Banks are at one end of it, there are plenty of other, more ostensibly respectable, people who are closer to Farage than they are to the centre. That’s a choice too.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/06/every-political-generation-low-moment/
  • Options

Mr. Meek, Rudd also dropped.

It's Sadiq Khan, Frances O'Grady and Ruth Davidson[sp] for Remain.

Assume that was aimed at me. Thanks, Mr Dancer. So a completely new Remain attack, defence and goalie? From that I guess we can adduce that it wasn't just Ms Eagles who thought the first leg was a "f*cking disaster"?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

As long as Osborne is buried by midnight at a crossroads in a garlic field with with a silver stake in his weasel brain I don't really care :-)
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

PlatoSaid said:

The EU takes a percentage of all VAT receipts as part of its funding settlement. With the current and deepening funding crisis in the EU there is no way they are going to allow any reduction in the amount of money they get from this source. Certainly they cannot let member states set the minimum rates and exclusions.
    I was fairly surprised they'd put it in even as an option. I'd expect the first option to be followed, but even that would be a welcome increase in flexibility. There's certainly no explicit proposal to do away with zero rating.

Not to mention that doing so would send the vast majority of the increased tax revenues to the Government, allowing the Government to do whatever they wanted with it (cut the deficit, cut other taxes, increase public spending). That latter point, though, is well within the "standard" mendacity levels of both sides.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Scott_P said:

Nigel Farage and his motley crew don’t speak for everyone in the Leave campaign and I feel sorry for the good and decent and intelligent and downright nice people who are on that side of the dispute but who do not much care for Farage and his game. But these are the people you lie with and that, in the end, is a choice.

What’s more, it’s hard to disassociate yourselves from Farageist excess when the official campaign prattles on about how Turkey is going to be joining the EU. And, nudge-nudge, wink-wink, you know what that means, don’t you? Of course you do. There’s a spectrum and if Farage and Arron Banks are at one end of it, there are plenty of other, more ostensibly respectable, people who are closer to Farage than they are to the centre. That’s a choice too.

Oh, it's Massie.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

So what ?

Theres a spectrum in Remain Jezza at one end and Dave at the other.

That really is a pointless post.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

nunu said:

john_zims said:

@nunu

Still, I suppose it's a step up from the other day when you were encouraging RochdalePioneers to miscount Remain votes in his role as an official counter.
    That was a joke, calm down. What is wrong with the people on this site. Jheez.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

As long as Osborne is buried by midnight at a crossroads in a garlic field with with a silver stake in his weasel brain I don't really care :-)
    I'm bringing a tanker of holy water too, just in case.

And another of sewage.....
  • Options

Somebody suggested earlier that the move to Remain was the result of private polling by financial institutions. They've swung back slightly which disproves that point. If Remain were confident, having been 20 points clear at one stage they'd be 1.10 on betfair. Its just trading and arbing now by shrewdies, punters and politicos are pinstickers, nothing more.

Why does a slight swing back disprove that point?
  • Options
    Mr. Rising, it's the Cameron/Osborne line.

Nothing about the EU, just FarageFarageFarage.

Mr. Mark, not sure, it may've always been the plan for Remain to have a different team.

As I said earlier, they've got a London Labour mayor, a Scottish Conservative and a trades unionist. O'Grady, the latter, may be most important for trying to get non-London England on Remain's side.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Donald Trump last matched for Republican nominee on Betfair at 1.19.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Oh Scott. Pitiable. You'll never get them to give you a chair at this rate.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

You think he should be shown mercy then?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    nunu said:

Jobabob said:

nunu said:

john_zims said:

@nunu

That was a joke, calm down. What is wrong with the people on this site. Jheez.
    D-Day - 4.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Not in Luton, but huge amounts of leafletting. We decided that the lack of historical canvassing data would have made it very difficult to do an effective canvass.
    Leave.Eu should share their data with you. Labour In will be crucial for the GOTV remain as the CLP's are allowed to campaign.
  • Options

Mr. Rising, it's the Cameron/Osborne line.

Nothing about the EU, just FarageFarageFarage.

Whereas the Leave line has been Farage is nothing to do with us...

https://twitter.com/gerryhassan/status/743151219628183552
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Ahem, just got a message from Mr. K. Any word on how long his ban is, whether it's temporary/permanent etc?

Edited extra bit: Mr. P, Farage is part of the broader (but not official) campaign.

Remain has terrorist sympathisers and Tony Blair. There's enough dodginess to spread around.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

Pulpstar said:

In the best possible taste.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited June 2016
    Brexit vote must not stop other EU states seeking further integration, says Moscovici

The European Commissioner Pierre Moscovici has said today that the Brexit referendum must not prevent other member states from pursuing further integration.

Speaking at a conference in Germany Mr Moscovici said: "A Brexit would be a loss for Britain and the EU. That's why I hope the British will vote to stay.

"I'm truly convinced, whatever happens on June 23, we have to be proactive.

"It must not prevent the others from going further... We must move on."
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited June 2016
    chestnut said:

Brexit vote must not stop other EU states seeking further integration, says Moscovici

The European Commissioner Pierre Moscovici has said today that the Brexit referendum must not prevent other member states from pursuing further integration.

Speaking at a conference in Germany Mr Moscovici said: "A Brexit would be a loss for Britain and the EU. That's why I hope the British will vote to stay.

"I'm truly convinced, whatever happens on June 23, we have to be proactive.

"It must not prevent the others from going further... We must move on."

No matter what the people tell us ... we will not listen.

• Options

Scott_P said:

So what ?

Theres a spectrum in Remain Jezza at one end and Dave at the other.

That really is a pointless post.
    If Scott and Paste can't be arsed to give so much as a couple of words on the link he's so kindly provided for us, why dignify it with any thoughts of your own?
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited June 2016
    Scott_P said:

God, that was thought-provoking.

Previously I thought there was some sort of referendum going on, and I was meant to vote for the best option from a binary choice.

Now I learn that it is some kind of meta-election in which I am implicitly endorsing the vilest of whackjobs whose preference in this binary choice happens to match my own, even if their thought processes that led them to this conclusion were orthogonal to my own.

I've changed my mind now - much better to vote with the IRA lot. They've clearly got mine, and Britain's, best interests at heart.
This discussion has been closed.