Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462

John_M said:

nunu said:

Everytime we think "this is the worse it has ever been" the world gets a little bit more worse.

the world is probably the best it's ever been
    I'd agree with that sentiment. One of the great mysteries of our age is that at a time when we are collectively healthier and wealthier than at any time in history, our overall outlook is so bleak, fearful and pessimistic.

As I wrote the other day, it's rough if you're charismatic megafauna or a rain forest or a coral reef. But as a human? These are the best of times.
    We're not healthier. This is a myth. Chronic disease has massively grown in the past century.
    Isnt that due to longer life expectancy ?

When you're popping your clogs aged 35 you dont get older peoples ailments
    Of course it's not. Did you grow up with all the kids in your class having allergies, intolerances, asthma? Such comparatively young people getting cancer?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Floater said:

Scott_P said:

@paul__johnson: Jo Cox's maiden speech to Parliament - on the benefits of immigration. 'We celebrate our diversity.'
    https://t.co/4U8Dhv9XdC

You try to make a political point out of this?

Shame on you.

No he didnt, he just posted the tweet and has since apologised if anything more than that came across
    Yeah, I saw that afterwards.

Still think it is sick though.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    MaxPB said:

In other news, the BA lounge at T5 is still first rate.

Are you in the Concorde Lounge or the regular lounge? (Both are excellent, but the Concorde Lounge is staggeringly good. The First Class lounge is identical to the business class one, but with better wine and cheese.)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,703
    John_N4 said:

In neither case does the pysops strikes me as anything other than professional.

Okay........
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    Evening all :)

Truly dreadful news concerning the murder of Jo Cox MP.

Condolences to her family, friends and all who knew her.

Warm compassionate tributes across the political spectrum to which I can add nothing but my agreement.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Since you're here @rcs1000 I was thinking od a feature you could add to CrowdScores, for the major European leagues you could add broadcast information and even monetise it by using a "watch now" affiliate link to a sky sports subscription.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101

@MikeK This is only the fifth sitting MP since the Second World War to have been murdered (and the first woman MP ever to have been murdered). This is shocking and terrible, and not just a private tragedy - which undoubtedly it is - but also a blot on our civic life. It seems entirely fitting to me as a mark of respect that normal politics should be suspended for a while.

Well said.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    Update 1830 — Widely quoted local admits he didn’t hear “Britain First”
    Local restaurant owner Hicham Ben Abdallah, widely quoted across the media as having claimed Mr. Mair shouted, “Britain First” has told Breitbart London “No, no. I did not hear that”.
  • Options

John_M said:

nunu said:

Everytime we think "this is the worse it has ever been" the world gets a little bit more worse.

I'd agree with that sentiment. One of the great mysteries of our age is that at a time when we are collectively healthier and wealthier than at any time in history, our overall outlook is so bleak, fearful and pessimistic.

As I wrote the other day, it's rough if you're charismatic megafauna or a rain forest or a coral reef. But as a human? These are the best of times.
    We're not healthier. This is a myth. Chronic disease has massively grown in the past century.

Of course it's not. Did you grow up with all the kids in your class having allergies, intolerances, asthma? Such comparatively young people getting cancer?
    Re asthma - when I was growing up it seemed like a quarter of the class had inhalers.

The increased incidence of intolerences and allergies is the consequence of excessive cleanliness. People with pets (particularly dogs) are much (more than an order of magnitude) less likely to suffer from allergies.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

nunu said:

That's because we'e not dropping dead at 65. Increased chronic disease levels are just a consequence of us all living longer.*

* With the exception of diabetes.
    Indeed, the rise of chronic disease is a strong indication that we are now living well beyond our shelf life and that medicine is keeping alive many who would have otherwise perished.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Are you in the Concorde Lounge or the regular lounge? (Both are excellent, but the Concorde Lounge is staggeringly good. The First Class lounge is identical to the business class one, but with better wine and cheese.)
    Business Lounge. Had dinner and a drink at Pilots with the match on.
  • Options
    John_N4 said:

Fact: Question Time has been cancelled.

Fact: Leave were widely viewed as having taken the lead in the polls following the ITV referendum debate and the performance of David Cameron and Nigel Farage answering a TV audience's questions

Fact: Juncker issued his "This is so dreadful, and I care so much about Jo Cox" message before her death had even been announced.

Question: which side benefits from Question Time being cancelled?

D'you know what? I dont think it should have been cancelled. They could easily have shown their respect by having a one-minute silence for Mrs Cox at the beginning.

Politics is dirty. What happens is that one side acts in a certain way (stopping their explicit campaigning), constraining the other side to act in a certain way. Or one side realises what weapon the other side can play and gets its own statement in first. I repeat: politics is dirty. That doesn't get negated by the fact that almost all of us who come to this website are united in abhorring the murder of Mrs Cox.

Regarding the first-period reporting... Thomas Mair seems to be a very different kind of person from Anders Breivik, but one interesting parallel is that the "Britain First" story connects with the notion of a link between him and the organisation called Britain First (which recently held a "training camp" in Snowdonia), which link may well turn out to be either completely non-existent or if existent then not at all straightforward, while with Anders Breivik a similar statement could be made about the idea that he had a link with "Lionheart" Paul Ray in Malta. In neither case does the pysops strikes me as anything other than professional.

I think you are reading far too much into this. If any Remainers are stupid enough to try and make capital out of this it will backfire on them
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

John_M said:

nunu said:

If I'll admit I was wrong and this is, in fact, the worst ever time to be alive, that things are going to get even worse in the future, can we stop this line of discussion?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Since you're here @rcs1000 I was thinking od a feature you could add to CrowdScores, for the major European leagues you could add broadcast information and even monetise it by using a "watch now" affiliate link to a sky sports subscription.

Oooohhhh... that's a really good idea.
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

nunu said:

If I'll admit I was wrong and this is, in fact, the worst ever time to be alive, that things are going to get even worse in the future, can we stop this line of discussion?
    You were luchy, it were worst time to be alive more than ever in my day...
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Yorkcity said:

BBC Look Norths Harry Gration and their crime correspondent , have stated three times
    what he shouted at the scene, on the 6:30 local news.
    Truly shocking .

What was it?
  • Options
    MP_SE said:
    I think you're being a bit kind to him.

I'd also point out that he's a middle aged man with a crush on Britney Spears. Yuck.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    rcs1000 said:

Thrak said:

What sort of mentally ill man can obtain a gun? Or was it homemade as was suggested by someone who saw the attack? In which case, where on earth do you learn the skills to do that?

It really isn't difficult to get a gun. There are lots of dark web stores that will accept your bitcoins and mail it to you in pieces so that you don't get caught.
    Sadly it is not.

I know someone who runs a bar and getting assault weapons is apparently rather simple if you know the right people.
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    edited June 2016

@MikeK This is only the fifth sitting MP since the Second World War to have been murdered (and the first woman MP ever to have been murdered). This is shocking and terrible, and not just a private tragedy - which undoubtedly it is - but also a blot on our civic life. It seems entirely fitting to me as a mark of respect that normal politics should be suspended for a while.

Well said.
    Have you considered the view that whilst we should come together to express our abhorrence and sympathy we should NOT let this murder affect the playing-out of the last stage of the EU debate? A one-minute silence at the beginning of Question Time would have sufficed.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

My fees are reasonable btw.
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Local restaurant owner Hicham Ben Abdallah, widely quoted across the media as having claimed Mr. Mair shouted, “Britain First” has told Breitbart London “No, no. I did not hear that”.

Apparently he shouted "For Juncker, for the EU, and for the Euro!"
  • Options
    Floater said:

rcs1000 said:

Thrak said:

What sort of mentally ill man can obtain a gun? Or was it homemade as was suggested by someone who saw the attack? In which case, where on earth do you learn the skills to do that?

It really isn't difficult to get a gun. There are lots of dark web stores that will accept your bitcoins and mail it to you in pieces so that you don't get caught.
    Sadly it is not.

I know someone who runs a bar and getting assault weapons is apparently rather simple if you know the right people.
    What's scary about the dark web is that you don't even need to know the right people any more.
  • Options
    John_N4 said:

Well said.
    Have you considered the view that whilst we should come together to express our abhorrence and sympathy we should NOT let this murder affect the playing-out of the last stage of the EU debate? A one-minute silence at the beginning of Question Time would have sufficed.
    I take your point. However, we are being spared Bob Geldof. That is the tiniest sliver of a silver lining on what has been a very dark day indeed.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Are you off somewhere on work? Late plane... going to the Middle East?
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    marke09 said:

The Daily Mail now needs to re-write its front page report or BF have a legal case against them.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

nunu said:

Re asthma - when I was growing up it seemed like a quarter of the class had inhalers.

The increased incidence of intolerences and allergies is the consequence of excessive cleanliness. People with pets (particularly dogs) are much (more than an order of magnitude) less likely to suffer from allergies.
    Would it be indelicate to ask you when you were growing up?

You theorise (no doubt with some merit) that the increase in intolerances and allergies is due to a cleaner environment. I think it's more logical to argue that what we're actually putting into our bodies bears a greater responsibility.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

My fees are reasonable btw.
    You know what: I'll give you a free copy of the app.
  • Options
    John_N4 said:

Well said.
    I think we can manage for a day without all the lies and imbecilities being peddled by politicians. Hopefully it might make them grow up a little.

The Tooting byelection count should still go ahead though - democracy in action.
  • Options

marke09 said:

The Daily Mail now needs to re-write its front page report or BF have a legal case against them.
    Inverted commas dear boy. Inverted commas
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Zurich. Interview with a Swiss private bank.
  • Options
    Congrats to Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    I expect a lot of exhausted politicians will be guiltily grateful for an evening off and a lie in tomorrow
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

nunu said:

Deal!

For a GENUINELY mind-opening watch, give this a try:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvKdYUCUca8

If you regret spending any of your life watching it, come back to me and put me through watching the equivalent amount of some ghastly TED talk or something. But you won't.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

John_M said:

Heh. Alex Massie has written a disgusting article about Jo Cox's tragic death. I shan't dignify it with a link. But I'm disillusioned and disappointed.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/06/a-day-of-infamy/
    That's a pretty gross article. Neither side has incited violence during this campaign.
  • Options
    RealBritainRealBritain Posts: 255

marke09 said:

There's other witneseses reported earlier - a Mr Graeme Howard.
  • Options
    I comfort myself by remembering the utter shite we use to talk as students.

Thankfully, the pre-Internet era means there is no record of it and I can ascribe an entirely bogus sagacity to my youthful self. Similarly, there are no longer any extant photographs of me in 70s clothes. Boy, we had it made back then didn't we?
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Yorkcity said:

BBC Look Norths Harry Gration and their crime correspondent , have stated three times
    Truly shocking .

What was it?
    Britain First.
    This was not on the national bbc six oclock news, so was surprised it was so prominent on the bbc local 6-30 news.
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649

GIN1138 said:
    A truly nasty piece of work is Campbell.
    Let's be charitable. He might be having a depressive episode. God knows, I wrote some shitty things when I had that.

I'll also 'fess up to wondering if it was a beard who dunnit when the first reports came in. Not implausible in that region. But after Brevik etc I did know not to jump to conclusions based on early reports. Unlike Carlotta.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

nunu said:

You theorise (no doubt with some merit) that the increase in intolerances and allergies is due to a cleaner environment. I think it's more logical to argue that what we're actually putting into our bodies bears a greater responsibility.
    How do you explain the massive difference in allergy incidence between families with pets and without them then?

(It is, of course, entirely possible that families with pets tend to eat more healthily.)

See:
    http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11434-013-5679-4
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12190366

(And this was 1980s London)
  • Options
    If something good comes out of this please can it be acceptance that careinthecommunity is a complete disaster and we need to rebuild mentap health care and hospitals in the UK
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Good luck.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,384
    Sean_F said:

John_M said:

Heh. Alex Massie has written a disgusting article about Jo Cox's tragic death. I shan't dignify it with a link. But I'm disillusioned and disappointed.

That's a pretty gross article. Neither side has incited violence during this campaign.
    I was shocked by it.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Great words from Andrew Mitchell, who co-chaired the Parliamentary Group on Syria with Jo Cox
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/16/my-fearless-friend-jo-cox-a-five-foot-bundle-of-yorkshire-grit/
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

nunu said:

How do you explain the massive difference in allergy incidence between families with pets and without them then?

(It is, of course, entirely possible that families with pets tend to eat more healthily.)

See:
    I stopped getting colds and hayfever and my daughters asthma has virtually vanished since we got a dog a coup,e of years ago
  • Options

Sean_F said:

John_M said:

I was shocked by it.
    He will look like an idiot if the murder is not political
  • Options

John_M said:

John_M said:

nunu said:

Deal!

If you regret spending any of your life watching it, come back to me and put me through watching the equivalent amount of some ghastly TED talk or something. But you won't.
    It's two hours long! I shall put it on my watchlist for my next bout of insomnia :).
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553

marke09 said:

BF strike me as officially led (although doubtless not funded and used) by complete morons: Paul Golding and Jayda Fransen.

Golding asked "Could this person have shouted 'it's time to put Britain first?'" He also said "She has been out campaigning to keep Britain in the EU and there are people in the area that are against it".

Fransen, meanwhile, said that "This is absolutely not the kind of behaviour we would condone.” (She means the shooting, not the murder, which hadn't yet been announced, but still.)
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    stodge said:

Warm compassionate tributes across the political spectrum to which I can add nothing but my agreement.

Seconded.

If - as is being reported - the killer had mental health issues that is to add a further layer to the tragedy. Mental health services are dreadful in parts of the country. People with mental health issues can cause great violence to themselves and others, even if it is not always as murderous as this. People with such issues need proper care. And too often they don't get it.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. Max, best of luck.

Mr. City, sometimes national and local news can diverge massively. I remember national news not showing Leeds beating Manchester United (FA Cup, I think), saving it for Match of the Day. The goal was replayed three times during the Look North that immediately followed the national news and preceded MotD.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

nunu said:

See:
    I stopped getting colds and hayfever and my daughters asthma has virtually vanished since we got a dog a coup,e of years ago
    Don't tell my wife; we have enough furry animals in our house already.
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

nunu said:

Deal!

It's two hours long! I shall put it on my watchlist for my next bout of insomnia :).
    It will definitely help with the insomnia.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

Truly shocking .

What was it?
    Britain First.
    This was not on the national bbc six oclock news, so was surprised it was so prominent on the bbc local 6-30 news.
    There is increasing doubt as tp whether this is true, which is why the national editor seems to have had more sense.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

nunu said:

See:
    Robert, I see you have referenced NCBI. IIRC without digging out the piece, they explicitly have concluded that over cleanliness, not letting our toddlers lick the floor and eat creepy crawlies (ok, I'm making this up, but it is within the spirit of the report) is pretty much responsible for a large part to allergies in that the immune system is not challenged enough early enough in life so that later its responses to some immunogens goes a bit off kilter.
  • Options

John_M said:

John_M said:

nunu said:

And this serves as a good example of what I mean. Longevity up, infant mortality down, population up. I think most people have a basic goal of 'not dying'. The fact that people can live with chronic illnesses that would have killed them even a decade ago is testament to our progress.

UK life expectancy has risen by a decade in my lifetime. That's genuinely amazing.
    No, the huge rise in the incidence of chronic disease - cancer, asthma, diabetes, heart disease is not testament to progress, it's testament to the shocking decline in the Western diet and other environmental factors. The fact we have new (usually expensive) chemical and surgical therapies to help us live with these conditions is an inevitable consequence of the march of time - we can't have less medicines can we? What we need to be doing is aiming at health, not just limping from sickness to sickness. For that, people need to be aware of the complexities of their bodies, and not subcontract responsibility for their health to the food industry, the NHS, and the pharmaceutical industry. Because as with politics, just because they have white coats and shiny offices, doesn't mean they know, or even want what's best for you. It's the 'experts' issue again.

I know I have been mean to you on here before and I apologise for that. But I think that you are quite wrong in your general approach to health matters. Most of the diseases you cite, esp the big 2, cancer and circulatory disease, are diseases of old people. It is a function of improved longevity.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Awful day for civic life. RIP Jo Cox. Let us hope her family and friends can one day find peace.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited June 2016

marke09 said:

There's other witneseses reported earlier - a Mr Graeme Howard.
    Perhaps the fairest thing to say is that the witness evidence we have is conflicting. In such circumstances, probably best to wait for further information.

Whilst he has done a terrible thing, the very little we know of Mr Mair suggests a very sad and disturbed individual.

I was attacked once, some time ago, by a schizophrenic unknown to me. I was fortunately not seriously interested, although another bystander was.

Years later, I can certainly appreciate that the schizophrenic was not to blame (although he certainly needed to be off the streets for his and others safety).

To say this does not lessen the terrible deed that Mr Mair has done, or the terrible hurt he has inflicted.

• Options
    Mr. Bedfordshire, dogs also improve life expectancy by improving health through exercise, not to mention the other benefits.

Got some comedy I need to re-write but not really in the jovial sort of mood for it.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

nunu said:

See:
    Robert, I see you have referenced NCBI. IIRC without digging out the piece, they explicitly have concluded that over cleanliness, not letting our toddlers lick the floor and eat creepy crawlies (ok, I'm making this up, but it is within the spirit of the report) is pretty much responsible for a large part to allergies in that the immune system is not challenged enough early enough in life so that later its responses to some immunogens goes a bit off kilter.
    I find that a very plausible hypothesis. And having animals in the house ensures that there are plenty of germs to help train the immune system :)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Good luck.
    Thanks, hopefully I can get it. It would be a huge pay increase and I've heard good things about Pictet from a friend who worked for them.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    I was gasping and sobbing copiously and in great anger when I heard the news that Jo Cox had died (after two hours of hoping that she would recover). Why, when I have hardly heard of her before?

Because it was not just an attack on her, it was an attack on all MPs and on all elected politicians. She (and they) is (are) vulnerable because they are accessible; they are accessible because this is a democracy.

The fact that it was an attack on all MPs means that it was an attack on my own MP, Gavin Barwell, who is a good personal friend of mine. Therefore I take it personally and with great anger. My first thought on hearing that Jo Cox had died was that I just wanted 5 minutes with a screwdriver in a room alone with the (BLEEP) who murdered her.
  • Options

John_M said:

John_M said:

nunu said:

Deal!

Lucky, have you read the stuff suggesting the cholesterol has nothing to do with it, but it is inflammation within the vessels that is the real cause of heart disease.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

stodge said:

Seconded.

If - as is being reported - the killer had mental health issues that is to add a further layer to the tragedy. Mental health services are dreadful in parts of the country. People with mental health issues can cause great violence to themselves and others, even if it is not always as murderous as this. People with such issues need proper care. And too often they don't get it.

We seem to have forgotten the lessons from poor Joanna Yeates' murder. The way that Christopher Jeffries was treated in the aftermath was shocking. That's why I found Alex Massie's article so distasteful.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Good luck.
    Thanks, hopefully I can get it. It would be a huge pay increase and I've heard good things about Pictet from a friend who worked for them.
    Contact me off-line; I have a friend who's reasonably senior there (in the London office) if you want me to put in a good word for you.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,276
    That's actually quite mild compared to the usual rubbish she spouts. Even David Irving would hesitate before saying some of the things she says about the Jews, which is essentially the Protocols of the Elders of Zion on speed.

On topic, I'm just stunned by what has happened. That's utterly appalling and incredible. What a terrible thing for her children. The one very faint ray of light for them is that their father is clearly a truly amazing man.

Also a very fine tribute from Corbyn, it should be noted. Much better than Cameron's which is dominating the bulletins.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Cyclefree said:

stodge said:

Seconded.

We seem to have forgotten the lessons from poor Joanna Yeates' murder. The way that Christopher Jeffries was treated in the aftermath was shocking. That's why I found Alex Massie's article so distasteful.
    He was a LibDem, so it was only natural that the police would suspect him.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Thrak said:

You can 3d print them now as well.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

nunu said:

See:
    Don't tell my wife; we have enough furry animals in our house already.
    Allow me to recommend Yorkiepoos (Yorkshire terrier/miniature poodle crosses). Small, loyal, loving, non-shedding and so small, your wife would hardly notice one :). I have two, and they've kept me going through some pretty tough times.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    A day of Infamy for Alex Massie; as he smears the Leave campaign with murder.
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

I was gasping and sobbing copiously and in great anger when I heard the news that Jo Cox had died (after two hours of hoping that she would recover). Why, when I have hardly heard of her before?

Because it was not just an attack on her, it was an attack on all MPs and on all elected politicians. She (and they) is (are) vulnerable because they are accessible; they are accessible because this is a democracy.

The fact that it was an attack on all MPs means that it was an attack on my own MP, Gavin Barwell, who is a good personal friend of mine. Therefore I take it personally and with great anger. My first thought on hearing that Jo Cox had died was that I just wanted 5 minutes with a screwdriver in a room alone with the (BLEEP) who murdered her.

I was at uni with Gavin, and remember him fondly. Send him my best.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Mr. Max, best of luck.

Mr. City, sometimes national and local news can diverge massively. I remember national news not showing Leeds beating Manchester United (FA Cup, I think), saving it for Match of the Day. The goal was replayed three times during the Look North that immediately followed the national news and preceded MotD.

Very true Morris .
    Obviously this terrible event dominated look north for nearly all the bulletin.
    A previous conservative lady MP in the 80s and early 90s, for Batley and Spen was very moving, saying at times she had to request a police presence at her surgeries, but that was for arranged appointments.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

JohnLoony said:

I was at uni with Gavin, and remember him fondly. Send him my best.
    As it happens, it was only 2 weeks ago that Gavin and his staff dealt with an abusive volatile man who was shouting racist abuse and throwing the furniture about. When the man refused to leave, the police were called; when the police arrived the man was found to be in possession of a knife.

It was the only serious incident that Gavin has faced in 6 years as an MP, but it was a reminder that what happened to Jo Cox could have happened to any MP, anywhere, any time.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,227
    John_N4 said:

Fact: Leave were widely viewed as having taken the lead in the polls following the ITV referendum debate and the performance of David Cameron and Nigel Farage answering a TV audience's questions

Fact: Juncker issued his "This is so dreadful, and I care so much about Jo Cox" message before her death had even been announced.

D'you know what? I dont think it should have been cancelled. They could easily have shown their respect by having a one-minute silence for Mrs Cox at the beginning.

Politics is dirty. What happens is that one side acts in a certain way (stopping their explicit campaigning), constraining the other side to act in a certain way. Or one side realises what weapon the other side can play and gets its own statement in first. I repeat: politics is dirty. That doesn't get negated by the fact that almost all of us who come to this website are united in abhorring the murder of Mrs Cox.

Regarding the first-period reporting... Thomas Mair seems to be a very different kind of person from Anders Breivik, but one interesting parallel is that the "Britain First" story connects with the notion of a link between him and the organisation called Britain First (which recently held a "training camp" in Snowdonia), which link may well turn out to be either completely non-existent or if existent then not at all straightforward, while with Anders Breivik a similar statement could be made about the idea that he had a link with "Lionheart" Paul Ray in Malta. In neither case does the pysops strikes me as anything other than professional.

A young mother is brutally killed and all you care about is that it makes your side look bad...

The murderer is just another nutter. What makes your side look bad is this insane conspiracy crap.

So for God's sake put a sock in it and show some respect.
  • Options
    Not everyone dislikes the Massie piece:
    https://twitter.com/fergalkeane47/status/743509629913731072

In fact, most tweets seem to be positive about it.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

Cyclefree said:

stodge said:

Seconded.

and presumed guilty by many on here posting at that time . Not one of pb.com's finest hours . .
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Good luck.
    Contact me off-line; I have a friend who's reasonably senior there (in the London office) if you want me to put in a good word for you.
    Thanks, but I should be fine.

I applied on a whim and didn't expect to get this far anyway. My gf's uncle knows someone high up there and he told me there was an opening and they hadn't been able to recruit internally so I sent along an email to the Swiss recruiter expressing my interest. I'm really surprised to have got this far, I'm not very senior and not very experienced, I'll be very surprised to get the job, but I figure since they are paying for the flight and two nights at a swanky hotel, why not!
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    rcs1000 said:

I really hope that is meant to be some kind of joke, Robert.

It's not the time for cheap jibes.

• Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Cicero said:

John_N4 said:

A young mother is brutally killed and all you care about is that it makes your side look bad...

The murderer is just another nutter. What makes your side look bad is this insane conspiracy crap.

So for God's sake put a sock in it and show some respect.
    In lieu of a like button, hear, hear.
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

nunu said:

Deal!

Boo! Watch 5 minutes from 11.00 in. I was hooked for the full 2 hours.
  • Options

It's at times like these that it is good to remember the Prime Minister's wise words about Twitter.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    MTimT said:

Lucky, have you read the stuff suggesting the cholesterol has nothing to do with it, but it is inflammation within the vessels that is the real cause of heart disease.

You buy into contrarian thinking when it comes to medicine, but not economics? :)
  • Options
    Off topic. Are other Android users using the Google keyboard? I am and it is like going back to the worst days of Nokia predictive. I made a bunch of typos today but I have seen similar ones from other posters. Unless the AI catches up with me soon then I'm back to the Samsung default.
  • Options
    PB is full of experts on all subjects, so here is a legal question: On EastEnders, Bobby Beale (age 12) has pleaded guilty to the "unlawful killing" of his sister Lucy. Does that mean murder, or manslaughter? Why was it not specified?
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I'm unlikely to ever take a Twitter endorsement over my own view :). It's tendentious, provocative crap.

I have no idea whether Thomas Mair is a far right terrorist, a victim of his own mental demons or some other set of circumstances that's thus far unknown. Neither has Alex Massie. He had no business writing that article.
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590

I think it was one of the most despicable pieces I have ever read and I will contact the Spectator tomorrow to say so.

• Options
    pbr2013 said:

Off topic. Are other Android users using the Google keyboard? I am and it is like going back to the worst days of Nokia predictive. I made a bunch of typos today but I have seen similar ones from other posters. Unless the AI catches up with me soon then I'm back to the Samsung default.

Swiftkey for life, bruv.
  • Options
    Was it Lionel Somebody from the FT who wrote an apologist piece immediately after the Charlie Hebdo attacks?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    pbr2013 said:

I have tried out SwiftKey, which is a British company that got big bucks for "AI keyboard". It is bloody awful.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,384

I think it was one of the most despicable pieces I have ever read and I will contact the Spectator tomorrow to say so.

My mouth dropped in utter shock.

I will never think of Alex Massie in the same way again.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

nunu said:

Deal!

Yes I have! Cholesterol does have something to do with it, but cholesterol is your body's repair mechanism - our arteries are made of cholesterol. So if you have weak or damaged arteries, you will have increased cholesterol. But blaming the cholesterol is like blaming firemen for always being around when there's a house-fire. As we often say here on PB 'Correlation doesn't equal causation'. So drug companies selling statins to lower cholesterol, are basically the equivalent of someone with a broken leg having their crutches kicked away.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    MikeK said:

That link is either broken or they've pulled it.
  • Options
    I don't have views either way on the Massie piece, but I do have a view on Fergal Keane: milktoast luvvy.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    MikeK said:

Article seems to have been removed.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    saddened said:

MikeK said:

Pulled.

We instead have Liddle intimating the same thing, that this was referendum-related:
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/06/rod-liddle-rip-jo-cox/
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    The internet never forgets.....
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    MikeK said:

From the comments it seems Massie's article is not going down well. This is the sort of thing that can cause mass cancellations of subscriptions and will likely not go unnoticed by his bosses. You would think with the Spectator's official Leave position, Massie might have kept his head down.
  • Options
    saddened said:

MikeK said:

It's been pulled. Bravo, Spectator. Jo Cox deserves her tributes and displays of affection and respect. Her family are owed at least that, not some grubby journalist making vile implications. I'll shut up now, sorry, it did upset me.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Yorkcity said:

Mr. Max, best of luck.

Very true Morris .
    Obviously this terrible event dominated look north for nearly all the bulletin.
    A previous conservative lady MP in the 80s and early 90s, for Batley and Spen was very moving, saying at times she had to request a police presence at her surgeries, but that was for arranged appointments.
    Elizabeth Peacock I would guess.
  • Options
    dodrade said:

MikeK said:

Article seems to have been removed.
    Like Massie's job I suspect.
  • Options
    saddened said:

MikeK said:

They pulled it because I was just reading it. Completely disgusting. Equating unconfirmed reports of this nutter shouting "Britain first" with the Leave campaign. The editors must have decided to pull it.
This discussion has been closed.