Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,477

Personally, I don't feel this is the time for commenting on campaigns or on what a witness might have seen. Or indeed on political bets. I'm zoning out for a while.

Shall we have a discussion about AV, the finest voting system know to man?

Surely the finest system is the D'Hondt system used in our European elections?

European elections would go if we LEAVE the EU.

REMAIN should campaign to save the D'Hondt.
    D'Hondt you want me ?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

@paul__johnson: Jo Cox's maiden speech to Parliament - on the benefits of immigration. 'We celebrate our diversity.'
    https://t.co/4U8Dhv9XdC

What a disgusting piece of shit, that man !
    I know, how anyone could work for the Guardian is beyond me.

Oh look, my coat.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    @AlanBrooke

"I still laugh at your description of Qat as like chewing a privet hedge for the hit of a double espresso."

Did Mr. T., really say that?

"Howls of laughter"
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,955
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

@paul__johnson: Jo Cox's maiden speech to Parliament - on the benefits of immigration. 'We celebrate our diversity.'

Understatement of the day.
  • Options
    GravitationGravitation Posts: 281
    Scott_P said:

Why do people have to try and score points out of such events?
  • Options
    John_N4 said:

RobD said:

Why are you so desperate to discredit the eyewitnesses? The whole "understood" business is probably about the witness missing the first moments,..

Why does a newspaper quote what someone who was nearby says about what he didn't see himself and that directly conflicts with what one or more other witnesses say they did see, namely an altercation between two men before Jo Cox got involved?

That's absolutely shit journalism, unless someone is quoted as saying "everyone round here believes X, but people are too scared to come forward", which isn't what they're saying here.

There's no need to ask me leading questions.

I am questioning the reports because I know that lies often get put out right at the beginning, nice easy ones to remember - the speedometer in the Princess Diana car stuck at 125mph; Jean-Charles de Menezes wearing a thick jacket with wires sticking out.

What's wrong with the method of questioning something and trying to debunk it before deciding whether to accept it?

But the article clearly states what he saw, but that he didn't see the start. Reports are that it lasted several minutes (I recall 10-15). It is perfectly reasonable for an eye witness to only witness the second half, when the attack actually occurred.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

John_N4 said:

At long last a witness has now been named (in the Guardian) who claims to have heard the "Britain First" shouting. Called Graeme Howard, he must have very good hearing, because he says he heard the man shout "Britain First" before the shooting, when he himself was still inside a building (perhaps his house in a nearby street), and then he ran outside when he heard a shot and subsequently also heard the man shout the same words during the arrest. And to cap it all, he says "He was shouting Britain First when he was doing it". It sounds as though it was an extremely intensive "hear the gunman shout 'Britain First'" day for Mr Howard!

As for those who think no capitalisation is going on, Jean-Claude Juncker has now climbed in on the act! He has tweeted that he is "Deeply shocked by news of terrible attack against MP Jo Cox. Thoughts and prayers with her husband and children."

Is anyone prepared to opine that Juncker's not capitalising?

I am.
    Me too.

I'm of the view that Junker is actually rather a decent bloke.

He is very much in favour of Corporates avoiding tax via Luxembourg. So not all bad.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited June 2016
    Scott_P said:

Any side of this attempting to make political capital will pay for it - just as the Spanish Government did when they tried to turn the train bombings into anti separatist political capital.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    edited June 2016

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Her thoughts on the issues are also getting a good deal of coverage on Buzzfeed and The Guardian. Nothing is really sacred these days. What an evil day.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Scott_P said:

Why do people have to try and score points out of such events?
    Twitter was invented as a great way to communicate. Sadly, it's also been a supreme twat-enabler.
  • Options

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

John_N4 said:

At long last a witness has now been named (in the Guardian) who claims to have heard the "Britain First" shouting. Called Graeme Howard, he must have very good hearing, because he says he heard the man shout "Britain First" before the shooting, when he himself was still inside a building (perhaps his house in a nearby street), and then he ran outside when he heard a shot and subsequently also heard the man shout the same words during the arrest. And to cap it all, he says "He was shouting Britain First when he was doing it". It sounds as though it was an extremely intensive "hear the gunman shout 'Britain First'" day for Mr Howard!

As for those who think no capitalisation is going on, Jean-Claude Juncker has now climbed in on the act! He has tweeted that he is "Deeply shocked by news of terrible attack against MP Jo Cox. Thoughts and prayers with her husband and children."

Is anyone prepared to opine that Juncker's not capitalising?

I am.
    Me too.

I'm of the view that Junker is actually rather a decent bloke.

He is very much in favour of Corporates avoiding tax via Luxembourg. So not all bad.
    Sensible fellow ;)
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    I really don't have a good feeling about this. One would assume the hospital would be providing updates on her condition, if there was any even remotely positive news to give.
  • Options

tyson said:

Irrespective of this terrible incident, the betfair market was already swinging back to remain after this morning's polls- some serious money is being placed on remain...and it is placed after the price eases out.

Has it crossed your mind that there is some private polling going on that is being backed by some serious money? JackW- where has he gone? He has his finger on the private polling in my view. Do you think he's been slightly leant on? If not, and he is genuinely unwell, then I apologise fully.

Tyson, we had a post a week or so ago, I think from his son, saying that Jack W had been rushed into hospital and nothing more would be heard from him at least for a while. I think OGH has been in touch, but I havn’t seen an update, although as I don’t have this on permananet view I could well have missed something.
    Damn. Best wishes to Jack and his family. First I had heard of it. Seems to be a day for bad news. :-(
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Charles said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Moses_ said:

FPY Midwinter made the following interesting point

"Ed Miliband was campaigning in northern marginals on election day last year? Seems more likely Dave thinks hes going to win if he's in Gibraltar. Or he doesn't care any more."

Just before the last GE Dave was in St Ives. It was queried why on earth he was there given it was looking lost. Dave of course went onto win a stunning victory

Just saying

I was asking that question - I know nothing about Gib, but from comments on here it is (a) small number of voters (b) high turnout (c) nailed on for Remain. So why bother with Cameron?

Unless you need an excuse to keep him out of the UK...
    Apparently, the new pitch for Remain is going to be:

"Vote Remain and ensure that David Cameron spends as little time in the UK as possible."
    Derrr. Gib is all about the symbolism on British TV. "LOOK, this loyal and patriotic part of the Old Empire really wants us to STAY, otherwise the Spanish will use them for bayonet practice."

Could swing 50,000 votes in a very very tight plebiscite.
    Vote Remain or the Gibs get it?

Charming ;)
    It's the view in Gibraltar.....

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/16/the-rock-of-remain-why-gibraltar-is-rejecting-brexit

But what would they know......
    I’m told, by people who have relatives there that the Gibraltarians are worried that Spain will use Britains exit as an excuse to put pressure on the Rock again.
    Correct - Rajoy repeated it today. There is real fear among expats generally in Spain - and wholly justified among those who are elderly and not rich enough to contemplate private health care.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Personally, I don't feel this is the time for commenting on campaigns or on what a witness might have seen. Or indeed on political bets. I'm zoning out for a while.

Shall we have a discussion about AV, the finest voting system know to man?

Surely the finest system is the D'Hondt system used in our European elections?

European elections would go if we LEAVE the EU.

REMAIN should campaign to save the D'Hondt.
    D'Hondt you want me ?
    Don't worry, Portugal uses the D'Hondt
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

Just as we should be careful not to automatically link in to any aspect of the referendum, we should be careful not to automatically not to. This could be a madman influenced by the far-right in general, or it could be a madman influenced by something specific that is going on now. The information so far doesn't say much, and until the police have released any more detailed information, it seems inadvisable to speculate.

Or he could be an EU plant, a member of the EU's secret assassination wing. He'll be found 'hanged' in prison, and everyone will forget about him. I think it's no coincidence that he's shaved his head.
    One could be charitable and assume you're being ultra sarcastic but it is the latest in a number of flippant and inappropriate posts from you today.
    I guess you were the kid in the playground who was disgusted when people made jokes in the wake of the Challenger disaster.

This is a tragedy, for Jo herself, and for her family and friends. My making a bad joke does not diminish that.
    No, it doesn't diminish THAT at all.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Charles said:

Moses_ said:

"Ed Miliband was campaigning in northern marginals on election day last year? Seems more likely Dave thinks hes going to win if he's in Gibraltar. Or he doesn't care any more."

Just before the last GE Dave was in St Ives. It was queried why on earth he was there given it was looking lost. Dave of course went onto win a stunning victory

Just saying

I was asking that question - I know nothing about Gib, but from comments on here it is (a) small number of voters (b) high turnout (c) nailed on for Remain. So why bother with Cameron?

I know nothing about the subject. So here's my opinion....
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,697

Charles said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Moses_ said:

Just saying

"Vote Remain and ensure that David Cameron spends as little time in the UK as possible."
    Derrr. Gib is all about the symbolism on British TV. "LOOK, this loyal and patriotic part of the Old Empire really wants us to STAY, otherwise the Spanish will use them for bayonet practice."

Charming ;)

IN or OUT Gibraltar remains a British Protectorate.
    No.

British Overseas Territory (before that, British Dependent Territory, and before that British Crown Colony)

It's never been a Protectorate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protectorate#British_protectorates
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    I am sorry.

I wasn't trying to score points of any kind. I thought the post was of interest.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited June 2016

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

You have to be pretty sick to try and score cheap political points when the poor lady is fighting for her life in hospital.

Edit: I was referring to the Guardian journalist.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756

@AlanBrooke

"I still laugh at your description of Qat as like chewing a privet hedge for the hit of a double espresso."

"Howls of laughter"

yes it ranks as one of my PB best.

I also enjoyed the Huhne cheating on expenses and buying a trouser press described as him " having the riches of creases".

I wish I could remember who came up with that one - genius.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    edited June 2016
    FF43 said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

Whether he shouted Britain First or not is irrelevant. This is the work of a madman, let's not pretend it is some political statement.

It's not irrelevant at all. We just don't know.

If a Muslim shouted Allahu Akbar as he shot and stabbed an MP we'd all think that was pretty damn relevant. Same here. We need to know more.
    When you say "we", I think you are referring to yourself.

Dangerous and unhinged people grab hold of ideologies to justify their deeds.
    I'm not frightened to call out Islamist nuttery when I see it. Equally I accept the possibility that the far right can be violent, here and elsewhere. Breivik did his hideous killings in peaceable Norway, ffs

It's difficult not to see this as a pivotal moment in the campaign. If it had been a Syrian refugee we know it would have won it for OUT. We discussed these black swans many times. If it turns out it is some eurosceptic madman, eesh.

Today was the first day I was really uncomfortable with the LEAVE campaign. That UKIP poster. It's potent, but... No. If you go on Twitter you'll find it exactly mirrors stills from a nazi propaganda movie. Exactly.

I don't think Farage is a racist. I rather like him. But this was a definite error.
    I don't think Farage is racist either. I think UKIP was looking for a picture that conveys immigrants as an invasion. They came across this one that seemed to fit the bill.. It wouldn't work if the picture was of someone who looked like your hard working cornershop owner or the cheery cleaner in your office.

Which is the problem when you treat people as concepts rather than individuals.
    so Sean do you still hate REMAINIANS or have you now switched sides and become a TRAITOR (your words!)

Seriously though, just because there are madmen and racists who use patriotism as an excuse for racism, doesn't mean the concerns of half of the UK are wrong. Just because Britain First uses the cloak of patriotism and the Union Flag doesn't mean we cant be patriotic and use the Union Flag as a nation. No doubt there will be some who will try to capitalise on todays awful events for political advantage in this campaign for our future in Europe, which if they do weaponise this it is wrong because they will try to use it to smear anyone who has genuine concerns for the direction the country is going in and say they are all racists, shame on them. But I think the British Public will see through such opportunism
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I am sorry.

I wasn't trying to score points of any kind. I thought the post was of interest.

I think it is fair enough to repost someone's tasteless tweet to demonstrate what an idiot they are.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Her thoughts on the issues are also getting a good deal of coverage on Buzzfeed and The Guardian. Nothing is really sacred these days. What an evil day.
    Given that there is absolutely no evidence that this attack has anything to do with 'diversity' in one way or another it is just plain dumb as well as being evil. Your choice of words is perfect.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    felix said:

Charles said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Moses_ said:

Just saying

Charming ;)

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/16/the-rock-of-remain-why-gibraltar-is-rejecting-brexit

I’m told, by people who have relatives there that the Gibraltarians are worried that Spain will use Britains exit as an excuse to put pressure on the Rock again.
    Correct - Rajoy repeated it today. There is real fear among expats generally in Spain - and wholly justified among those who are elderly and not rich enough to contemplate private health care.
    I have no sympathy for those who leech off the Spanish welfare state ans public services without ever having paid into the system. These expats (immigrants) should have to live by the same rules we want EU migrants to live by here. Pay into the system for a few years before qualifying for state assistance, including healthcare.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    Spain already puts huge pressure on Gibraltar to my knowledge. Being in the EU has not stopped that. Surely the solution is to have appropriate defence measures in place, and let the potential agressor know you're prepared to use them, not staying in the EU in the hope this will make them be a bit nicer. It's like giving a bully your lunch money.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,723
    RobD said:

Charles said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Moses_ said:

Just saying

Charming ;)

I wish the Spanish would read the Treaty of Utrecht.
    I suspect the Treaty of Utrecht isn't quite as clear cut as Britain and Gibraltar make it out to be. I would prefer both Gibraltar and the Falkland Islands to assert their sovereignty based on the self determination of the people living there, rather than as colonies that states can claim or dispose of at will. In this case they can do what they want, with Britain guaranteeing their security as long as they act sensibly towards claimants on their territory, who are a lot bigger than they are
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

I am sorry.

I think it is fair enough to repost someone's tasteless tweet to demonstrate what an idiot they are.
    It is probably wise to preface it though for fewr of your intentions being misunderstood.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

@AlanBrooke

"Howls of laughter"

I also enjoyed the Huhne cheating on expenses and buying a trouser press described as him " having the riches of creases".

So which drugs did SeanT recommend?
  • Options
    The attacker has been described as a loner.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Moses_ said:

Just saying

Charming ;)

I wish the Spanish would read the Treaty of Utrecht.
    I suspect the Treaty of Utrecht isn't quite as clear cut as Britain and Gibraltar make it out to be. I would prefer both Gibraltar and the Falkland Islands to assert their sovereignty based on the self determination of the people living there, rather than as colonies that states can claim or dispose of at will. In this case they can do what they want, with Britain guaranteeing their security as long as they act sensibly towards claimants on their territory, who are a lot bigger than they are
    I suppose it does depend on what the treaty means by "the town and castle of Gibraltar, together with the port, fortifications, and forts thereunto belonging".
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I am sorry.

No, no, no, not you Scott. Sorry. I was referring to the tweet not you repeating it. I don't for a minute think you have said anything wrong.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    David Wooding ‏@DavidWooding 3 mins3 minutes ago London, England

Earlier I posted BBC report which said man who shot Jo Cox shouted "Britain First". Doubts now cast on his words.
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

I am sorry.

It is probably wise to preface it though for fewr of your intentions being misunderstood.
    Yep, but I don't think Scott_P meant anything bad by it. Live and learn....
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

@AlanBrooke

"Howls of laughter"

The sledging of Adam Afriye was my favourite.

Probably not appropriate for today though
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 9m9 minutes ago

Update - 52-year-old man arrested after Labour MP Jo Cox was shot in street outside her constituency surgery has been named as Tommy Mair
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,247
    rcs1000 said:

@AlanBrooke

"Howls of laughter"

Can I recommend Cask Ale? I might need a flagon or two later
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,002
    MaxPB said:

felix said:

Charles said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Moses_ said:

Just saying

Charming ;)

I have no sympathy for those who leech off the Spanish welfare state ans public services without ever having paid into the system. These expats (immigrants) should have to live by the same rules we want EU migrants to live by here. Pay into the system for a few years before qualifying for state assistance, including healthcare.
    So instead of having a few thousand hard working, tax paying , healthy Poles etc here, you’d rather have a few thousand (formerly) expat pensioners returning to use the NHS!
  • Options
    RealBritainRealBritain Posts: 255
    Is the police news conference now underway ?
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    edited June 2016
    RobD said:

John_N4 said:

RobD said:

Why are you so desperate to discredit the eyewitnesses? The whole "understood" business is probably about the witness missing the first moments,..

Why does a newspaper quote what someone who was nearby says about what he didn't see himself and that directly conflicts with what one or more other witnesses say they did see, namely an altercation between two men before Jo Cox got involved?

That's absolutely shit journalism, unless someone is quoted as saying "everyone round here believes X, but people are too scared to come forward", which isn't what they're saying here.

I am questioning the reports because I know that lies often get put out right at the beginning, nice easy ones to remember - the speedometer in the Princess Diana car stuck at 125mph; Jean-Charles de Menezes wearing a thick jacket with wires sticking out.

What's wrong with the method of questioning something and trying to debunk it before deciding whether to accept it?

But the article clearly states what he saw, but that he didn't see the start. Reports are that it lasted several minutes (I recall 10-15). It is perfectly reasonable for an eye witness to only witness the second half, when the attack actually occurred.
    The way I read the article, it quotes him as saying what he "understands" happened, or rather didn't happen, before he witnessed anything, but I wouldn't say it makes clear that his other statements are about what he witnessed directly. And for some reason "Britain First, Britain First, Britain First" gets reported twice in the same short piece.
  • Options
    To be honest unless this guy was pictured with his arm round farage or something I dont think it is relevant.

Britain First is little to do with the EU and leaving would likely bring in more of their non preferred guests not less.

Those trying to link the referendum to it will be judged harshly by the public I expect
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@AlanBrooke

"Howls of laughter"

best ask him yourself, but from memory he was big on heroin,

now of course he's a gaylord poncyboots and it's top class merlot and a mug of cocoa before bed at 10.
  • Options
    Seems he was a loner with a history of mental illness.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,369

Spain already puts huge pressure on Gibraltar to my knowledge. Being in the EU has not stopped that. Surely the solution is to have appropriate defence measures in place, and let the potential agressor know you're prepared to use them, not staying in the EU in the hope this will make them be a bit nicer. It's like giving a bully your lunch money.

If we Leave, Spain remain's a NATO ally of ours.

However, the real risk for Gibraltar is if the UK leaves the single market, given how the economy of the rock has evolved into financial services since the MoD massively scaled down its presence there from the late 80s onwards. I think the economy used to be 60% defence.

Therefore, I think Gib would need to stay in the EEA, at least or be given massive support to become an offshore haven - like a European Caymans, for instance - with a global outlook.

I don't know what the long term solution with Spain is. Inside or outside the EU they will continue to be a massive pain in the arse about it.
  • Options
    John_N4 said:

RobD said:

John_N4 said:

RobD said:

The way I read the article, it quotes him as saying what he "understands" happened, or rather didn't happen, before he witnessed anything, but I wouldn't say it makes clear that his other statements are about what he witnessed directly. And for some reason "Britain First, Britain First, Britain First" gets reported twice in the same short piece.
    Here is another article with more information from the same witness. This one is caveated with "what sounds like" Britain First.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/jo-cox-attack-britain-first-11483296
  • Options

However, the real risk for Gibraltar is if the UK leaves the single market, given how the economy of the rock has evolved into financial services since the MoD massively scaled down its presence there from the late 80s onwards. I think the economy used to be 60% defence.

Therefore, I think Gib would need to stay in the EEA, at least or be given massive support to become an offshore haven - like a European Caymans, for instance - with a global outlook.

I don't know what the long term solution with Spain is. Inside or outside the EU they will continue to be a massive pain in the arse about it.
    Does Article 5 get invoked if there is an attack on one NATO member by another?
  • Options

Is the police news conference now underway ?

No, just waiting.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

To be honest unless this guy was pictured with his arm round farage or something I dont think it is relevant.

Britain First is little to do with the EU and leaving would likely bring in more of their non preferred guests not less.

Those trying to link the referendum to it will be judged harshly by the public I expect

Yeah I agree, maybe if the allegation was that he shouted "UKIP" loads it would be relevant, but I suspect most of the general public have never even heard of Britain First.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

There was a study of serial killers in the US and a frightening proportion of them said Catcher in the Rye was their favourite book.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,723

Scott_P said:

Any side of this attempting to make political capital will pay for it - just as the Spanish Government did when they tried to turn the train bombings into anti separatist political capital.
    There's no point discussing this in the context of the referendum, including to condemn the raising of it. Jo Cox talked about the value of immigration in her maiden speech, presumably because it was important to her. Others may disagree. Now she is shot and so there it is.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

@AlanBrooke

"Howls of laughter"

The sledging of Adam Afriye was my favourite.

Probably not appropriate for today though
    must have missed that one.

I remember Monica getting told to for playing the ball and not the man when we first saw a photo of James Kelly who was a bit more "robust" than his avatar implied. To which the retort came, but what if I can't tell the difference ?
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

I completely agree. It is reminiscent of how some (fortunately very few) politicians and commentators jumped onto the bandwagon driven by Anders Breivik. When I saw this, I actually first thought it was the Spectator's Paul Johnson, before realising it was the Guardian guy supposedly selling a pro-immigration message not an anti one.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    RIP Jo Cox MP
  • Options
    edited June 2016
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Jo Cox has died
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,477
    She's died.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    RIP. May she rest in peace
  • Options
    Jo Cox is dead! Police announcement
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    FUCK FUCK FUCVK FUCKING FUCKER
  • Options
    :( RIP
  • Options
    The worst possible news. My deepest sympathies to Jo's family, friends and colleagues.

I'm off for a strong drink with loved ones. Best wishes to sage commentators on here, but no more internet for me today.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    The only good thing that comes from an event like this is that it reminds us we are fortunate to live in a country that still finds it genuinely shocking.
  • Options
    Dreadful news. Every sympathy to her family.
  • Options
    Oh crap :(
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Shit she died... How bloody awful..
    A really distressing day for British democracy in that MPs have always been available and approachable. That may be about to change.
    RIP Jo
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    She's died. RIP.
  • Options
    RealBritainRealBritain Posts: 255
    Terrible. So sorry to hear.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    RIP Jo Cox MP
  • Options
    SirBenjaminSirBenjamin Posts: 238
    Sobering news. Just reached us tellers here in Tooting.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Does Article 5 get invoked if there is an attack on one NATO member by another?
    "The Parties agree that an armed attack against one or more of them in Europe or North America shall be considered an attack against them all and consequently they agree that, if such an armed attack occurs, each of them, in exercise of the right of individual or collective self-defence recognised by Article 51 of the Charter of the United Nations, will assist the Party or Parties so attacked by taking forthwith, individually and in concert with the other Parties, such action as it deems necessary, including the use of armed force, to restore and maintain the security of the North Atlantic area.

Any such armed attack and all measures taken as a result thereof shall immediately be reported to the Security Council. Such measures shall be terminated when the Security Council has taken the measures necessary to restore and maintain international peace and security ."

The apposite phrase being "such action as it deems necessary". Which might mean 'not a lot'.
  • Options
    There's a man in Camden with a megaphone shouting "Don't talk or think about Europe, it's none of your business."
  • Options
    Damn it. Really sorry to hear that.

RIP.

:-(
  • Options
    Oh no. Deepest sympathies and condolences to her family. Rest in peace Jo.
  • Options
    Oh my God.
  • Options
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    At least they have the beast in custody - hopefully never to be released.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

There was a study of serial killers in the US and a frightening proportion of them said Catcher in the Rye was their favourite book.
    My reading is largely limited to Asian art, Italian art and the EU so I had to Google it. First paragraph on Wikipedia contained this:

"A controversial novel originally published for adults, it has since become popular with adolescent readers for its themes of teenage angst and alienation."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Catcher_in_the_Rye
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Terrible terrible news.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Terrible news.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

At least they have the beast in custody - hopefully never to be released.

Surely a life means life tariff.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Sad to hear of Jo Cox's death :(
  • Options
    RIP Jo Cox
  • Options
    =(

How truly sad.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    That is really moving. Well said Corbyn.
  • Options
    Truly awful. I can't believe people like this exist I hope the judge throws the book at him. :disappointed:
  • Options
    Dear Lord. I've been away from desk and see that an MP has been killed! Just awful.
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    We're in hell, everything is fracturing. I dont know what to feel anymore.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I agree - very well done
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Very, very sad. She has children a similar age to mine.

Her poor husband has to now explain to her children that there are people like Tommy Mair in the world who are twisted enough to kill their mummy.

Awful.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I agree - very well done
    Thirded. And now it is unquestionably right that the campaigns temporarily ceased activity.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. Max, in the same way as those who kill policemen get that sort of sentence, it should apply here.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    Horrid horrid day. My words can't express how I feel.
  • Options
    Can he be tried for treason?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    MP_SE said:

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

My reading is largely limited to Asian art, Italian art and the EU so I had to Google it. First paragraph on Wikipedia contained this:

"A controversial novel originally published for adults, it has since become popular with adolescent readers for its themes of teenage angst and alienation."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Catcher_in_the_Rye
    It's the only book I've ever read in one go.
  • Options

Mr. Max, in the same way as those who kill policemen get that sort of sentence, it should apply here.

Agreed - while they are still mere mortals like you and I, they do represent something more. Murdering one is an attack not just on them, but on our entire system of democracy.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    That's extremely sad.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited June 2016
    Deleted
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    Truly awful news, a sad day.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Agreed - while they are still mere mortals like you and I, they do represent something more. Murdering one is an attack not just on them, but on our entire system of democracy.
    Absolutely right. I'm not a fan of capital punishment, however in this case he deserves nothing else. Try him for treason and have him hanged.
This discussion has been closed.