Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris’s flexible approach to the truth appears to be catchi

1234568»

Comments

• Options

Interesting.

Frankly odd that he can slag the remain off for a hard campaign with a straight face on the one hand but I have to say I find the loyalty thing odd.

If this were a minor issue he would be bang on the money. Say for example a rise in tuition fees. Introducing them would be a bigger ask. However this is the future of the country and assuming Gove isn't doing it for game play (Not a fantastically safe assumption with Boris) surely it is a very legitimate issue of conscience?
    It is astonishing Cameron thinks he can use the full weight of the taxpayer, outright fabricated figures and extreme scaremongering on his side, yet those on the other side should have to campaign halfheartedly or else be threatening party unity.
    What fabricated figures?
    The £4300 number.

See here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36073201
    https://fullfact.org/europe/4300-question-would-leaving-eu-really-make-every-household-worse/
    Neither of those references indicates that the £4300 number is fabricated. Why do you think it is fabricated?
    "The government is confusing GDP per household with household income."
     "Given that one of the key points of leaving the EU is supposed to be to tighten up the UK's borders, it seems a mistake not to take into account that effect. The same is true, as mentioned earlier, with the figures of GDP per household being based on the number of households in 2015, not a forecast for 2030."
    "Taken as a prediction of the cost to families, £4,300 is almost certainly wrong"
    Another journalist quoter. :-) The actual report makes no mention of the number of households. Why do the journalists think that the figures for GDP per household are based on the number of households in 2015? Why do PBers put such trust in journalists?
    Because fact checking journalists ask politicians to justify their calculations, and politicians provide them with the numbers. It is hardly as if BBC and FullFact are making up lies to skew the pro-EU argument.
  • Options

Interesting.

Frankly odd that he can slag the remain off for a hard campaign with a straight face on the one hand but I have to say I find the loyalty thing odd.

If this were a minor issue he would be bang on the money. Say for example a rise in tuition fees. Introducing them would be a bigger ask. However this is the future of the country and assuming Gove isn't doing it for game play (Not a fantastically safe assumption with Boris) surely it is a very legitimate issue of conscience?
    It is astonishing Cameron thinks he can use the full weight of the taxpayer, outright fabricated figures and extreme scaremongering on his side, yet those on the other side should have to campaign halfheartedly or else be threatening party unity.
    What fabricated figures?
    Edit: Also, what extreme scaremongering?
    War in Europe (also genocide in original media briefings), migrant camps in South East England.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/02/project-fear-scaremongering-almost-lost-scotland-what-makes-cameron-think-it-will-work-for-england/
    Ah yes, the mythical original media briefings. How about a reference to what Cameron actually said, rather than what people claimed/think he might have said/was going to say?
    Newspaper stories being based on original drafts of speeches is "mythical". You clearly are not worth debating any more.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,900
    viewcode said:

I was once a physicist - my PhD was in magnetohydrodynamic equilibria in fusion plasmas - long time ago now. I still do a bit a A-level tutoring though.

Go on. Build "Red October", I dare ya... :)
    I am responsible for the precise shape of the leading edge of an A330 Airbus's wings, initially programmed back in the 1990s while coming down from a magic mushroom trip, and hastily reprogrammed the next day. Don't tell anyone though!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,919

War in Europe (also genocide in original media briefings)

War in Europe isn't implausible: in fact, it's very common. Arguably there's one in t'Ukraine right now. Genocides (completed or attempted) are thankfully less common, but in the lifetime of my grandfather there was the Nazi attempted extermination of the Jews, the Soviet attempted extermination of the Ukranians, and the Serbian attempted extermination of the Muslims. God only knows what ISIS are up to, but I've no doubt it's vicious and sadistic. Why people think European peace is normal is beyond me: the area hasn't been fully peaceful since the Roman Empire

• Options

Interesting.

What fabricated figures?
    Edit: Also, what extreme scaremongering?
    War in Europe (also genocide in original media briefings), migrant camps in South East England.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/02/project-fear-scaremongering-almost-lost-scotland-what-makes-cameron-think-it-will-work-for-england/
    Ah yes, the mythical original media briefings. How about a reference to what Cameron actually said, rather than what people claimed/think he might have said/was going to say?
    Newspaper stories being based on original drafts of speeches is "mythical". You clearly are not worth debating any more.
    So no actual sources, then. Thought so. Aren't you humanities people supposed to be a bit more sceptical about your sources?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,919

viewcode said:

I was once a physicist - my PhD was in magnetohydrodynamic equilibria in fusion plasmas - long time ago now. I still do a bit a A-level tutoring though.

Go on. Build "Red October", I dare ya... :)
    I am responsible for the precise shape of the leading edge of an A330 Airbus's wings, initially programmed back in the 1990s while coming down from a magic mushroom trip, and hastily reprogrammed the next day. Don't tell anyone though!
    Don't worry, nobody actually reads this blog... :)
  • Options

Interesting.

What fabricated figures?
    The £4300 number.

See here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36073201
    https://fullfact.org/europe/4300-question-would-leaving-eu-really-make-every-household-worse/
    Neither of those references indicates that the £4300 number is fabricated. Why do you think it is fabricated?
    "The government is confusing GDP per household with household income."
     "Given that one of the key points of leaving the EU is supposed to be to tighten up the UK's borders, it seems a mistake not to take into account that effect. The same is true, as mentioned earlier, with the figures of GDP per household being based on the number of households in 2015, not a forecast for 2030."
    "Taken as a prediction of the cost to families, £4,300 is almost certainly wrong"
    Another journalist quoter. :-) The actual report makes no mention of the number of households. Why do the journalists think that the figures for GDP per household are based on the number of households in 2015? Why do PBers put such trust in journalists?
    Because fact checking journalists ask politicians to justify their calculations, and politicians provide them with the numbers
    Do they really? And the politicians are always right, and the journalists never forget to ask? I can see I still have something to learn about this "current affairs" business!

• Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

RobD said:

I've had a brainfart, does photosynthesis help seeds grow?

No. Seeds don't have leaves. You need moisture and warmth possibly after cold though depending on the seed.

Once they are seedlings then yes.
    Cheers, need to edit the morning thread now.

I was more a physicist, not really interested in the other sciences.

Physics is the only decent science.
    It all comes down to physics, in the end ;)
    Chemistry is an interesting branch of physics, and biology a somewhat less interesting branch of chemistry :)
    If it bubbles and smells, it's chemistry.
    If it wriggles and smells, it's biology
    If it doesn't work, it must be physics.
    That's about the size of it, though I always considered them in terms of the most likely way of ending up in hospital:

Biology: infection
    Chemistry: poisoning
    Physics: electrocution (which I once witnessed, luckily not fatally)
    If you haven't been electrocuted several times you're not a proper physicist.
    Bollocks to all of you. Mathematics is just information. Physics is just mathematics. Chemistry is just physics. Biology is just chemistry. Things get harder has you progress. Maths and physics are the sciences for people who like simple problems and certainty - although quantum physics buggered even that up for them. Things don't get difficult and so interesting until you get to biology.
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    "Judge Andrew Napolitano revealed on Monday that Russia has possession of around 20,000 of Clinton’s emails"

Ok. How does her candidature survive this?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-05-14/you-know-those-missing-hillary-emails-russia-might-leak-20000-them
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited May 2016
    shiney2 said:

"Judge Andrew Napolitano revealed on Monday that Russia has possession of around 20,000 of Clinton’s emails"

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-05-14/you-know-those-missing-hillary-emails-russia-might-leak-20000-them

Napolitano is not the most reliable of talking heads on Fox. I was on a programme just after him once, sitting in studio all wired up waiting for my slot. The discussion with the anchor - I believe it was Greta van Susteren - was about the reward for finding bin Laden, or Saddam which was around the $25 million level, so we are talking about 2003 timeframe. The good judge was talking about how much money the American taxpayer would be giving to another government if a non-American earned the money. He stated that if it were a Brit, 98% of the reward would go to the British government. And there I was thinking that the SuperTax went out with Maggie.

It was all I could do not to shout down into the mike what an idiot the man is.

PS But if this charge is true, then people have to go to jail.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

shiney2 said:

Napolitano is not the most reliable of talking heads on Fox.

PS But if this charge is true, then people have to go to jail.
    Thanks. I just googled him. It's not as if his mother named his brothers Earl, Duke and King, but he ain't quite what I was expecting from a Judge..
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Interesting.

What is astonishing about it? Did you miss the last election, where loopholes in accounting for battlebuses and political advertising videos on youtube being unregulated (unlike television) were exploited to the full? Did you miss the scaremongering? The personal attacks on Ed Miliband (very much the Boris Johnson of his day)?

Put simply, Cameron plays to win and sod the Corinthian spirit. You might be appalled but really should not be astonished.
  • Options

Interesting.

Put simply, Cameron plays to win
    He's burnt his boats behind him. His majority was tiny and now his party will be thoroughly&deliberately mutinous for the next 4 years.

Corbyn's party sure isn't going to prop him up after 23rd June.

He's stuffed.
This discussion has been closed.