Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris’s flexible approach to the truth appears to be catchi

Comments

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    surbiton said:

MikeL said:

What are the numbers for Remain and Leave?

We seem to have every other number other than the most important ones?

They haven't asked that one.
    Since personal prosperity is better with REMAIN, it will always win. No need to change the 58 - 42 prediction. DKs will heavily fall in line with REMAIN.
    Or they won't vote.

Don't Know = Don't care.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

I am not sure if it was commented on earlier but one of my medical colleagues will be Labours PPC in Tooting:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/14/junior-doctor-rosena-allin-khan-selected-labour-candidate-tooting

Though I think she is Consultant not a junior doc.

If elected, will she work weekends?
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

Sean_F said:

Interestingly, If the UK opts for Brexit it may mean that a recession in the UK causes the economy to be surpassed by the French economy. So, goodbye 5th largest economy if Brexit occurs! I just cannot understand why Rich people want to be poor for the sake of sovereignty? Funny things these out types. Just like the chap I spoke to on holiday where he was an Immigrant from the UK living in Spain and all he wanted to do was talk about the immigrants that lived in his own town. These people just don't see the stupidity in their outlook.

I guess there are some of us for whom being £100 richer or poorer isn't of great importance. Shocking, I know.
    Where do you get the figure of £100 from, just out of interest?

Money might not mean much to you or many of the rich people who seem to want to stop the march of progress. But humanity has transitioned from smaller communities to larger ones throughout the evolution of the human race. The technology and potential for productivity gains in the future lies in singularity not individuality in terms of government. You may not like it but it is going to happen with or without us. I would rather be richer with less control, than poorer with no control.
    Absolutley. Look at Switzerland. Basket case. Poverty stricken.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317
    MrsB said:

Remember this? http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/19/scottish-independence-opinion-polls-referendum-vote

I think the noise being made by Leave is creating shy Remainers, just as happened in Scotland. At an IN street stall today got told by some of the public they were nervous to say they were voting IN becaus of the attitude of those who are voting OUT who can be quite aggressive and overwhelming.

Undoubtedly. Leavers can be highly excitable with large levels of certitude. If you say the wrong thing to them (i.e. something positive about EU membership) they're liable to explode. Even I, a proud European, sometimes keep my council. You just don't know how they're going to react. Fortunately, all this will be played out in the calm sanctuary of the polling booths. Reason and good sense will surely prevail.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Speedy said:

chestnut said:

Cameron's trust level with 45+ groups ranges from 15% to 17%.

His best demographics are Lib Dems and 18-24s.

Those are truly Nick Clegg numbers (apart from the students).
    Does anyone have Dave's trust ratings just before the GE2015? Or early in the EUref campaign?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2016

chestnut said:

ABs are more likely to be wrong in understanding the net position on the UK's EU budget contribution than DE's.

How interesting. Does that include how much we pay or our relative contributions?
    They think we get more back from the EU than we contribute in taxes.

It tends to be the young and people from the regions most likely to be subsidised.

I have had several personal conversations with people who actually believe that EU funds are from the EU rather than UK taxes handed back with an EU badge stuck on them.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    chestnut said:

surbiton said:

MikeL said:

Since personal prosperity is better with REMAIN, it will always win. No need to change the 58 - 42 prediction. DKs will heavily fall in line with REMAIN.
    You're misreading the numbers.

33% think they will be worse off. That means 67% don't.
    By your weird logic, since 29% say they will be better off if Brexit takes place, 71% obviously thinks the opposite surely
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    surbiton said:

GIN1138 said:

Con + UKIP = 53%?

Where is Polly's "progressive majority" now? :smiley:
    This clearly shows the post GE polling "adjustments" have gone awry. We know the position now is about equal according to whichever NEV you care to look at.

Another point: It has pointed out with some justification that Labour piles on votes where it does not need and not where it does need them.

The 1% lead in LE 2016 has been analysed further. The swing to Labour since GE2015 has been:

South 3.2%, Midlands, 2% , North -1%.
    Or that people who vote in cities are not representative of the people who vote nationwide.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    surbiton said:

MikeL said:

Remain's lead is very small on the economy, only 4 points.
    All the other issues favour Leave now.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    I have just read that Thornberry is warning that if we vote Leave we will be attacked by pirates.

Next up - The Martians are Coming!?!
  • Options

I wonder what all the new arrivals in Sweden, Greece and Germany are making of Eurovision :sweat_smile:

EDIT - and it's being shown in the USA for the first time!

I have a couple of quid on Ukraine. Although looks like Au is causing the stir.
    Belgium's entry sounds like a kluge of half a dozen pop tunes mashed together by Nile Rodgers. I rather liked it.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Interestingly, If the UK opts for Brexit it may mean that a recession in the UK causes the economy to be surpassed by the French economy. So, goodbye 5th largest economy if Brexit occurs! I just cannot understand why Rich people want to be poor for the sake of sovereignty? Funny things these out types. Just like the chap I spoke to on holiday where he was an Immigrant from the UK living in Spain and all he wanted to do was talk about the immigrants that lived in his own town. These people just don't see the stupidity in their outlook.

I guess there are some of us for whom being £100 richer or poorer isn't of great importance. Shocking, I know.

Money might not mean much to you or many of the rich people who seem to want to stop the march of progress. But humanity has transitioned from smaller communities to larger ones throughout the evolution of the human race. The technology and potential for productivity gains in the future lies in singularity not individuality in terms of government. You may not like it but it is going to happen with or without us. I would rather be richer with less control, than poorer with no control.
    If you want progress, consider how irrelevant the EU will be in 50 years with booming Asia. India and China will become the new pace setters of the world, and will set the tone for much that happens in the world, in much the same way as the US has for the last century. Combine this with the increase in the security threat, and the realisation that massive migration is a fact of life and will never stop, and the next twenty years (if that) is going to be the high watermark for liberal western values.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Damn, you're right. With that, and WAR!!! I'm leaning back towards Remain.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

MrsB said:

Remember this? http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/19/scottish-independence-opinion-polls-referendum-vote

I think the noise being made by Leave is creating shy Remainers, just as happened in Scotland. At an IN street stall today got told by some of the public they were nervous to say they were voting IN becaus of the attitude of those who are voting OUT who can be quite aggressive and overwhelming.

I distinctly detect the sound of some whistling to keep up their spirits ;)
    The fact that remainers posts are being responded to like this speaks volumes about where we are.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,044
    Indigo said:

Sean_F said:

If you want progress, consider how irrelevant the EU will be in 50 years with booming Asia. India and China will become the new pace setters of the world, and will set the tone for much that happens in the world, in much the same way as the US has for the last century. Combine this with the increase in the security threat, and the realisation that massive migration is a fact of life and will never stop, and the next twenty years (if that) is going to be the high watermark for liberal western values.
    Alternatively, either or both could go the way of Japan.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,373
    chestnut said:

chestnut said:

ABs are more likely to be wrong in understanding the net position on the UK's EU budget contribution than DE's.

How interesting. Does that include how much we pay or our relative contributions?
    They think we get more back from the EU than we contribute in taxes.

It tends to be the young and people from the regions most likely to be subsidised.

I have had several personal conversations with people who actually believe that EU funds are from the EU rather than UK taxes handed back with an EU badge stuck on them.
    https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/731267847037562880
  • Options

I have just read that Thornberry is warning that if we vote Leave we will be attacked by pirates.

Really ?
    Pirates ?
    Are they at least from the Caribbean ?
  • Options
    As an aside, there is a story doing the rounds that might affect Boris Johnson's leadership ambitions that cannot be posted on the site.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052

Has always amused me that Piers Gaveston has caused both Boris Johnson and David Cameron so much grief.

The fact that they should belong to a society named in honour of the supposed homosexual lover of King Edward II has put them up in my estimation. According to wiki the society's motto is '(Sane) non memini ne audisse unum alterum ita dilixisse' which roughly translates as 'Truly, none remember hearing of a man enjoying another so much'

Neither of them were members, my friends who attended Oxford say the Ashcroft story was bollocks, there was no way you could be concurrently members of The Piers Gaveston Society and the Bullingdon Club.
    Perhaps it suits Cameron to have people believe he was a member of Piers Gaveston what with his gay marriage supporting, occasionally metrosexual image
    David Cameron voted to retain section 28.

The Bullingdon story came out the moment he ran to be Tory Leader, if he was a member of the Piers Gaveston, that too would have come out pretty sharpish, not a decade later.
    Maybe PG have a kind of 'Don't ask don't tell' approach to secrecy.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    GeoffM said:

I am not sure if it was commented on earlier but one of my medical colleagues will be Labours PPC in Tooting:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/14/junior-doctor-rosena-allin-khan-selected-labour-candidate-tooting

She already does. EED doctors always do.

So far as I can tell she is not Consultant. She may well be a Speciality Doctor rather than Consultant. It is a permenant non-training grade post
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    surbiton said:

GIN1138 said:

Con + UKIP = 53%?

This clearly shows the post GE polling "adjustments" have gone awry. We know the position now is about equal according to whichever NEV you care to look at.

Another point: It has pointed out with some justification that Labour piles on votes where it does not need and not where it does need them.

The 1% lead in LE 2016 has been analysed further. The swing to Labour since GE2015 has been:

Labour got 31% in the locals, basically what it got last May, the main swing was Tory to LD but as tonight's Comres shows voters may now vote LD again locally they will not nationally, in fact the biggest gainers nationally are UKIP
  • Options

Sean_F said:

:lol:
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Speedy said:

Really ?
    Pirates ?
    "I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request!" - Barbossa
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,282
    rcs1000 said:

As an aside, there is a story doing the rounds that might affect Boris Johnson's leadership ambitions that cannot be posted on the site.

You tease.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

chestnut said:

Those are truly Nick Clegg numbers (apart from the students).
    Not quite what Dave meant when he said "I agree with Nick".
  • Options
    Speedy said:

surbiton said:

MikeL said:

Remain's lead is very small on the economy, only 4 points.
    All the other issues favour Leave now.
    Not much point having a bigger economy if excessive migration means you get a much smaller slice of a slightly larger cake.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

chestnut said:

surbiton said:

MikeL said:

You're misreading the numbers.

33% think they will be worse off. That means 67% don't.
    By your weird logic, since 29% say they will be better off if Brexit takes place, 71% obviously thinks the opposite surely
    Your argument is that people will vote Remain because they believe they will be worse off, if I am understanding it correctly.

Two in three people don't accept that presently.

For a great many people, the EU is a bit meh when it comes to how it will impact on them personally. If it doesn't matter, it won't influence their vote.
  • Options

I believe she is a consultant.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,282
    Speedy said:

Really ?
    Pirates ?
    Vote Leave, get Johnny Depp.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

I wonder what all the new arrivals in Sweden, Greece and Germany are making of Eurovision :sweat_smile:

Belgium's entry sounds like a kluge of half a dozen pop tunes mashed together by Nile Rodgers. I rather liked it.
    I would love a non-european country to win eurovision, just to prove that european song makers are so crap that europeans themselves would prefer someone from the other side of the world rather than their own.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Because principles quite a lot; and the EU doesn't have any?

Oh, and no one who called the people he disagrees with by the dismissive 'these people' has ever had much electoral success...
    Equally, the people who hate immigrants such as the BNP or UKIP have hardly won hundreds of parliamentary seats either?!
    I see principles don't have much resonance with you? It's all about money, and not liking 'these people', right?
    The people I refer to when I refer to "these people" are people like the chap I met on holiday who was an immigrant in Spain complaining about immigrants to the UK. I think it a bit rich to complain about immigration when you are an immigrant yourself! I didn't say whether I liked the type of people I referred to just that I thought their attitude was odd.

Yes, I am interested in my finances and how the result will affect them. I am not a politician and will never be one, so I am not interested in the vagaries of how much power the UK government has over the UK. Ultimately the power to declare war and such like has never been affected by the EU. So what is the problem?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Speedy said:

I would love a non-european country to win eurovizion, just to prove that european song makers are so crap that europeans themselves would prefer someone from the other side of the world rather than their own.
    Since when is eurovision about good music?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Sean_F said:

Alternatively, either or both could go the way of Japan.
    But you aren't putting much money on that happening are you ?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Is it worse than a pig? Seriously?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    I see the thread header

' a narrative is starting to which could destroy the favourite's leadership ambitions'

is still up.

This poll would seem to disagree with that contention, to put it mildly.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317

Sean_F said:

I'm afraid you may have a point there. Quite a few Leavers are happy to forfeit a small proportion of their vast wealth if it brings about the amusing prospect of Brexit. Unfortunately, the rest of us don't have that luxury. The wealthy can always insulate themselves from the havoc that they wreak, but it will be the less affluent who will suffer the consequences of Leave's splendid isolation.
  • Options
    taffys said:

I see the thread header

' a narrative is starting to which could destroy the favourite's leadership ambitions'

is still up.

This poll would seem to disagree with that contention, to put it mildly.

Judging by RCS post there is a hidden message in that sentence in the header.

• Options

Czech Republic was a nice song.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Azerbaijan the best by a million miles so far IMO.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Really ?
    Pirates ?
    They can't be - nor from Somalia, that'd be waycist.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

I'm afraid you may have a point there. Quite a few Leavers are happy to forfeit a small proportion of their vast wealth if it brings about the amusing prospect of Brexit. Unfortunately, the rest of us don't have that luxury. The wealthy can always insulate themselves from the havoc that they wreak, but it will be the less affluent who will suffer the consequences of Leave's splendid isolation.
    and yet we are told that more Leave voters are C1C2DE, not the rich who are voting Remain. So the poor want to leave the EU, seems to be a slight hole in your thesis.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,875

Sean_F said:

You're the one who thinks a few quid one way or the other should determine how we should vote in this Referendum. If that's the best that Remain can manage, they're sunk.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Danny565 said:

Yep - just did a Surby and called it far too prematurely here too.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

GeoffM said:

She already does. EED doctors always do.

So far as I can tell she is not Consultant. She may well be a Speciality Doctor rather than Consultant. It is a permenant non-training grade post
    So she's not a scab then, contrary to The Guardian write-up.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Really ?
    Pirates ?
    If we leave we can reinstate the death penalty for Piracy on the High Seas.
  • Options
    Simon Cowell must wish he'd got his hands on the rights to Eurovision - that Spanish chappy was rather cute.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

Leave seems to be making gains across the board.
    This is the choice in a nutshell. Which way will people fall? As a gloomy remainer, I think migration will trump.

Yep, I've always thought Leave would win on the back of immigration. If the government tells you there are too many immigrants, they are ruining public services, scrounging benefits and driving down wages you are going to believe them. Dave can't turn round now and say that actually it isn't true, so he's going to lose.

As I said, Dave can't resist sticking too many eggs into his "Immigrant delight" pudding.
    I think REMAIN can win if the Labour Party came out flat out for REMAIN. 75% of 30% = 22.5%.

Plus Tories' 45% of 37% = 16.6%, LD's 75% of 8% = 6%. 60% of the rest [ excl. UKIP ] 60% of 12% = 7.2%.

All these fractions add up to : 22.5% + 16.6% + 6% + 7.2% = 52.3%. I am assuming 100% of the fruitcakes [ 13% ] will vote to LEAVE [ even though that never happens ]

The point REMAINS that REMAIN cannot win without Labour voters. Those Labour voters [ mostly ex ] who will vote to LEAVE have already decamped to UKIP and the SNP. That is why I am assuming only 60% in Scotland, Wales and NI.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676

Is she a Corbynista? Or someone who actually wants to win power and change things?
    'Allin-Khan is seen as more of a continuity candidate from Sadiq, rather than a shift to the left.'
  • Options

Simon Cowell must wish he'd got his hands on the rights to Eurovision - that Spanish chappy was rather cute.

The song was crap, but I think the swooning across Europe will get him a high placing anyway.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

1. It's mostly the less well off that will vote for Brexit not the ABs.

2. They do genuinely feel immigration is keeping down their wages.

3. Leavers are not "little Englanders" Remainers are Little Europeans. There will be no splendid isolation.

4. Leaving the EU will not actually reduce household incomes. See http://aconservatives.blogspot.com/2016/04/osbornes-accountancy-is-very-creative.html
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

I quite liked Belgiums perky europop. And tinfoil hotpants.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,724
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

You're the one who thinks a few quid one way or the other should determine how we should vote in this Referendum. If that's the best that Remain can manage, they're sunk.
    When was the last time people voted to be poorer? Genuine question.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Is it worse than a pig? Seriously?
    Or having an affair or two or whatever? Scandals bounce of Boris - I was chuckling to myself earlier about his tax returns. That blew Ken right out of the water. We all sat round and gawped at how much tax he paid on PAYE.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

GIN1138 said:

Con + UKIP = 53%?

Labour got 31% in the locals, basically what it got last May, the main swing was Tory to LD but as tonight's Comres shows voters may now vote LD again locally they will not nationally, in fact the biggest gainers nationally are UKIP
    Rallings & Thrasher put Labour at 33% in the Local Elections - 1% ahead of the Tories. Comres Online has consistently been the most favourable pollster for the Tories since May 2015.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Just saw Italy. Perche?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Most Leave voters aren't especially wealthy. What's weird about so much of the Remain campaign is the way that they think that important questions of governance are trumped by small shifts in income.

• Options

Which was that?
  • Options

Money might not mean much to you or many of the rich people who seem to want to stop the march of progress.

No no no.

It's (in your terms) the poor that want to stop the march of progress. The polls tell us that its the CDE voters that are largely leavers. The typical kipper is said to be the uneducated, left behind type, living in a decaying seaside town. So those who have the least value their sovereignty and statehood more than the mobile affluent voters who will be voting Remain.

Apart from those minor details, you are right on the money :D

• Options
    surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

This is the choice in a nutshell. Which way will people fall? As a gloomy remainer, I think migration will trump.

Yep, I've always thought Leave would win on the back of immigration. If the government tells you there are too many immigrants, they are ruining public services, scrounging benefits and driving down wages you are going to believe them. Dave can't turn round now and say that actually it isn't true, so he's going to lose.

As I said, Dave can't resist sticking too many eggs into his "Immigrant delight" pudding.
    I think REMAIN can win if the Labour Party came out flat out for REMAIN. 75% of 30% = 22.5%.

Plus Tories' 45% of 37% = 16.6%, LD's 75% of 8% = 6%. 60% of the rest [ excl. UKIP ] 60% of 12% = 7.2%.

All these fractions add up to : 22.5% + 16.6% + 6% + 7.2% = 52.3%. I am assuming 100% of the fruitcakes [ 13% ] will vote to LEAVE [ even though that never happens ]

The point REMAINS that REMAIN cannot win without Labour voters. Those Labour voters [ mostly ex ] who will vote to LEAVE have already decamped to UKIP and the SNP. That is why I am assuming only 60% in Scotland, Wales and NI.
    Well I haven't, but:

"Those Labour voters [ mostly ex ] who will vote to LEAVE have already decamped to UKIP and the SNP "

The SNP ?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Is that the story OGH shared with us in the boozer last month?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I know its a new idea, how about going for the British approach ? What with our economy being bigger than all those countries put together and all.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Blimey! The Israeli has a Donald hairdo. Hes should have dyed it blond for greater effect. ;)
  • Options

Which was that?
    Second
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    I went to a social event here today in Italy..met seven Brits..they had never met me nor any of the others..from all walks of life..including a Dentist,,.his assistant...a retired fella and his wife from Norfolk A Japanese woman who has lived in the UK all of her life..and two students studying in Florence..They will all be voting to leave.
  • Options
    Israeli bloke looks like Steve Strange in his early 80's incarnation :)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,553

Israeli bloke looks like Steve Strange in his early 80's incarnation :)

More like Penguin from Gotham
  • Options

Speedy said:

Really ?
    Pirates ?
    If we leave we can reinstate the death penalty for Piracy on the High Seas.
    Pah! Me, hearty!

Us Brexiteers will become pirates and rule the waves again. Wooden legs and parrots will become fashionable.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

I want the EU to keep expanding until the Eurovision is called the EUvision. That will include Australia. I see no problem as we already include French Guiana.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Most Leave voters aren't especially wealthy. What's weird about so much of the Remain campaign is the way that they think that important questions of governance are trumped by small shifts in income.

It's particularly daft that Remain have failed to recognise that older people, often outright homeowners and pensioners, are the most ardent Leavers.

They can't be pressured on interest rates, currencies, jobs.

Is Cameron, a Conservative PM, actually going to threaten pensioners' pensions and then spend £25bn on overseas aid and the EU?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

It's not to do with Boris directly.
  • Options
    Oh my, what is this lady wearing? She looks like an extra from a summer filler sci-fi show.

Like the tune though
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Just saw Italy. Perche?

She looks OK ;)
  • Options
    Bulgaria's getting my vote.
  • Options

Oh my, what is this lady wearing? She looks like an extra from a summer filler sci-fi show.

Like the tune though

Her dancing is rather strange.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Speedy said:

I would love a non-european country to win eurovision, just to prove that european song makers are so crap that europeans themselves would prefer someone from the other side of the world rather than their own.
    Israel has won. Was this a skin color related post?
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,900

Sean_F said:

But Switzerland is a member of EFTA and is in the Schengen Area, so that won't be us. Phew! The Albania model is what Leave have promised us. Yippee!
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Danny565 said:

I want the EU to keep expanding until the Eurovision is called the EUvision. That will include Australia. I see no problem as we already include French Guiana.
    French Guiana is an integral part of France, innit!
  • Options
    And now it's looking like a Daft Punk video.

Love it even more
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I am on a fixed income, if the economy has a shock and another recession the austerity will again hit people like me. You mentioned £100. If I was rich then maybe sovereignty would be of greater importance but as it has already been transferred with little direct effect I don't care. I would rather maintain my living standards than try to stop the march of progress or giving some deluded idiot more power to make life worse for us in the UK. Things that have come from the EU like maximum working weeks, health and safety are good for people in the main unless you are some rich manager trying to screw as much from your workforce for as little cost.

If Asia becomes the dominant economic pole in the world, why is not being in the EU going to help us as we are located in the north east Atlantic! I simply do not understand the stagnant argument that the UK can change its trade from Europe to Asia, Africa or south America. If companies are that good in the UK, why do they not do that already? Does a city like London really benefit from having a share of services in a stagnant market, something rather than nothing of an imaginary market that Brexit supporters keep proposing.
  • Options
    gettingbettergettingbetter Posts: 477
    I notice on betfair that Australia is second favourite. It may be a stupid question, but why are they are allowed to compete because they are not on Europe or even near.
  • Options

Like the tune though

The pads light up.

That Bulgarian can migrate my way anytime ;-)
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

When was the last time people voted to be poorer? Genuine question.
    It doesn't arise in this case. The choice is between being wealthier or being wealthier.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    chestnut said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

It's particularly daft that Remain have failed to recognise that older people, often outright homeowners and pensioners, are the most ardent Leavers.

They can't be pressured on interest rates, currencies, jobs.

Is Cameron, a Conservative PM, actually going to threaten pensioners' pensions and then spend £25bn on overseas aid and the EU?
    Cameron said today that voting to leave is voting for recession. I wouldn't be surprised to hear a veiled threat to cut the state pension in the event of a leave vote.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Yes
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Like the tune though

The pads light up.

I've always loved women who wear kneepads.

*Innocent Face*
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    chestnut said:

Another reason to feel grateful I departed with the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

Well I haven't, but:

"Those Labour voters [ mostly ex ] who will vote to LEAVE have already decamped to UKIP and the SNP "

The SNP ?
    Yes. Most Central and Western belt Labour voters who moved over to the SNP will actually vote to LEAVE. That is why the Scottish element to vote REMAIN has been changed from 70% to 60%. The bonus is in NI where , I think, 60% voting to remain is an understatement.
  • Options

Which was that?
    Second
    Oh, the bird in the white dress - yawnnn.

Bulgaria is my favourite so far despite the earrings. Sweden is rather catchy, a natural clapalong
  • Options
    Not a patch on last year's Swedish (winning) entry :(
  • Options
    This Swedish entry is a bit My Lovely Horse
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195

Like the tune though

The pads light up.

It's that scene in Ali G in da House when he has the border force only letting in the good looking girls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0gqn2F_Uu4
  • Options

Not a patch on last year's Swedish (winning) entry :(

It's "My Lovely Horse"
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I am on a fixed income, if the economy has a shock and another recession the austerity will again hit people like me. You mentioned £100. If I was rich then maybe sovereignty would be of greater importance but as it has already been transferred with little direct effect I don't care. I would rather maintain my living standards than try to stop the march of progress or giving some deluded idiot more power to make life worse for us in the UK. Things that have come from the EU like maximum working weeks, health and safety are good for people in the main unless you are some rich manager trying to screw as much from your workforce for as little cost.

If Asia becomes the dominant economic pole in the world, why is not being in the EU going to help us as we are located in the north east Atlantic! I simply do not understand the stagnant argument that the UK can change its trade from Europe to Asia, Africa or south America. If companies are that good in the UK, why do they not do that already? Does a city like London really benefit from having a share of services in a stagnant market, something rather than nothing of an imaginary market that Brexit supporters keep proposing.
    Get a job or retrain. Don't expect me to regard your fixed income as my priority.
  • Options

Like the tune though

The pads light up.

I've always loved women who wear kneepads.

*Innocent Face*
    I can see why. Clearly something like that helps to knee the bollocks !
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097

I notice on betfair that Australia is second favourite. It may be a stupid question, but why are they are allowed to compete because they are not on Europe or even near.

Lots of Aussie viewers and rich Aussie broadcasters
  • Options
    Don't they have tunes anymore? It's all rather monotone to me and Sweden has topped the list of the dead.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

in the main unless you are some rich manager trying to screw as much from your workforce for as little cost.

Because we currently have trade barriers with those countries. Trade barriers we could remove through negotiating our own deals without being held up by things like Romanian visas.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

Labour are almost all for Remain already. They gave up the automatic right to be listened too when they elected Corbo leader.
This discussion has been closed.