Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris’s flexible approach to the truth appears to be catchi

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,371

I notice on betfair that Australia is second favourite. It may be a stupid question, but why are they are allowed to compete because they are not on Europe or even near.

. Australia will also return after debuting as a special guest in 2015, but by invitation of the EBU due to the associate membership status of the Special Broadcasting Service. However, instead of pre-qualifying for the final and voting in all three live shows, as was the case in 2015, Australia will enter the second semi-final and vote only in that semi-final and the final.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurovision_Song_Contest_2016#Participating_countries
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,547
    edited May 2016
    If Cameron had held the EU Referendum this coming Thursday, Remain would win a landslide #Eurovision #FeelTheLove
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

Leave seems to be making gains across the board.
    This is the choice in a nutshell. Which way will people fall? As a gloomy remainer, I think migration will trump.

Yep, I've always thought Leave would win on the back of immigration. If the government tells you there are too many immigrants, they are ruining public services, scrounging benefits and driving down wages you are going to believe them. Dave can't turn round now and say that actually it isn't true, so he's going to lose.

As I said, Dave can't resist sticking too many eggs into his "Immigrant delight" pudding.
    .......The point REMAINS that REMAIN cannot win without Labour voters.
    That was the fact at the start and the fact 6 weeks from the main election day. Are we any clearer on what % of Labour voters will vote REMAIN or LEAVE? What will be the turnout for the Labour voters for each of these?

I have 30% Labour voters with a 35% LEAVE 65% REMAIN split and turnout 49% LEAVE and 55% REMAIN. Comments?

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

surbiton said:

Danny565 said:

Azerbaijan the best by a million miles so far IMO.

I want the EU to keep expanding until the Eurovision is called the EUvision. That will include Australia. I see no problem as we already include French Guiana.
    French Guiana is an integral part of France, innit!
    Exactly. I hope you do know France is in the EU.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    chestnut said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Interestingly, If the UK opts for Brexit it may mean that a recession in the UK causes the economy to be surpassed by the French economy. So, goodbye 5th largest economy if Brexit occurs! I just cannot understand why Rich people want to be poor for the sake of sovereignty? Funny things these out types. Just like the chap I spoke to on holiday where he was an Immigrant from the UK living in Spain and all he wanted to do was talk about the immigrants that lived in his own town. These people just don't see the stupidity in their outlook.

I guess there are some of us for whom being £100 richer or poorer isn't of great importance. Shocking, I know.
    Where do you get the figure of £100 from, just out of interest?

Money might not mean much to you or many of the rich people who seem to want to stop the march of progress. But humanity has transitioned from smaller communities to larger ones throughout the evolution of the human race. The technology and potential for productivity gains in the future lies in singularity not individuality in terms of government. You may not like it but it is going to happen with or without us. I would rather be richer with less control, than poorer with no control.
    I'm afraid you may have a point there. Quite a few Leavers are happy to forfeit a small proportion of their vast wealth if it brings about the amusing prospect of Brexit. Unfortunately, the rest of us don't have that luxury. The wealthy can always insulate themselves from the havoc that they wreak, but it will be the less affluent who will suffer the consequences of Leave's splendid isolation.
    Most Leave voters aren't especially wealthy. What's weird about so much of the Remain campaign is the way that they think that important questions of governance are trumped by small shifts in income.

It's particularly daft that Remain have failed to recognise that older people, often outright homeowners and pensioners, are the most ardent Leavers.

They can't be pressured on interest rates, currencies, jobs.

Is Cameron, a Conservative PM, actually going to threaten pensioners' pensions and then spend £25bn on overseas aid and the EU?
    He's already given concessions to trade unions in return for £1.7m of Remain campaigning - and told us we need the EU to protect us from his own HMG on rights.

Nothing would surprise me now.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    matt said:

Speedy said:

I wonder what all the new arrivals in Sweden, Greece and Germany are making of Eurovision :sweat_smile:

EDIT - and it's being shown in the USA for the first time!

I have a couple of quid on Ukraine. Although looks like Au is causing the stir.
    Belgium's entry sounds like a kluge of half a dozen pop tunes mashed together by Nile Rodgers. I rather liked it.
    I would love a non-european country to win eurovision, just to prove that european song makers are so crap that europeans themselves would prefer someone from the other side of the world rather than their own.
    Israel has won. Was this a skin color related post?
    I actually thought they weren't bad. If they do win I wonder if there'll be any talk of a Zionist conspiracy? The whole thing seems very drab this year and I'm off to read a book
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Interestingly, If the UK opts for Brexit it may mean that a recession in the UK causes the economy to be surpassed by the French economy. So, goodbye 5th largest economy if Brexit occurs! I just cannot understand why Rich people want to be poor for the sake of sovereignty? Funny things these out types. Just like the chap I spoke to on holiday where he was an Immigrant from the UK living in Spain and all he wanted to do was talk about the immigrants that lived in his own town. These people just don't see the stupidity in their outlook.

I guess there are some of us for whom being £100 richer or poorer isn't of great importance. Shocking, I know.

Money might not mean much to you or many of the rich people who seem to want to stop the march of progress. But humanity has transitioned from smaller communities to larger ones throughout the evolution of the human race. The technology and potential for productivity gains in the future lies in singularity not individuality in terms of government. You may not like it but it is going to happen with or without us. I would rather be richer with less control, than poorer with no control.
    Absolutley. Look at Switzerland. Basket case. Poverty stricken.
    But Switzerland is a member of EFTA and is in the Schengen Area, so that won't be us. Phew! The Albania model is what Leave have promised us. Yippee!
    No. More will prefer being like Azerbaijan. Being in the periphery of Europe but not quite in Europe.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Danny565 said:

Azerbaijan the best by a million miles so far IMO.

I want the EU to keep expanding until the Eurovision is called the EUvision. That will include Australia. I see no problem as we already include French Guiana.
    French Guiana is an integral part of France, innit!
    Exactly. I hope you do know France is in the EU.
    Er, that was my point!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    The Merkel effect killing Germany.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    edited May 2016
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

GIN1138 said:

Con + UKIP = 53%?

Where is Polly's "progressive majority" now? :smiley:
    This clearly shows the post GE polling "adjustments" have gone awry. We know the position now is about equal according to whichever NEV you care to look at.

Another point: It has pointed out with some justification that Labour piles on votes where it does not need and not where it does need them.

The 1% lead in LE 2016 has been analysed further. The swing to Labour since GE2015 has been:

South 3.2%, Midlands, 2% , North -1%.
    Labour got 31% in the locals, basically what it got last May, the main swing was Tory to LD but as tonight's Comres shows voters may now vote LD again locally they will not nationally, in fact the biggest gainers nationally are UKIP
    Rallings & Thrasher put Labour at 33% in the Local Elections - 1% ahead of the Tories. Comres Online has consistently been the most favourable pollster for the Tories since May 2015.
    Regardless the main point holds, the main swing in the local elections was Tory to LD not Tory to Labour (am not sure if Rallings and Thrasher exclude Scotland and Wales? )
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

If Cameron had held the EU Referendum this coming Thursday, Remain would win a landslide #Eurovision #FeelTheLove

I wonder if we might do better than usual, as other countries bribe us to try to stay in.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    surbiton said:

Oh my, what is this lady wearing? She looks like an extra from a summer filler sci-fi show.

Like the tune though

The pads light up.

That Bulgarian can migrate my way anytime ;-)
    I've always loved women who wear kneepads.

*Innocent Face*
    I can see why. Clearly something like that helps to knee the bollocks !
    No woman has ever kneed me in the bollocks, which in hindsight is frankly astonishing.
  • Options
    Deely boppers? And long socks? Well Germany do like to be different.
  • Options
    Interesting stage design and costume for Germany :)
  • Options
    Is Camila Batmanghelidjh the fashion consultant to the Germany entrant? #Eurovision.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,875
    tlg86 said:

chestnut said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I'm afraid you may have a point there. Quite a few Leavers are happy to forfeit a small proportion of their vast wealth if it brings about the amusing prospect of Brexit. Unfortunately, the rest of us don't have that luxury. The wealthy can always insulate themselves from the havoc that they wreak, but it will be the less affluent who will suffer the consequences of Leave's splendid isolation.
    Most Leave voters aren't especially wealthy. What's weird about so much of the Remain campaign is the way that they think that important questions of governance are trumped by small shifts in income.

It's particularly daft that Remain have failed to recognise that older people, often outright homeowners and pensioners, are the most ardent Leavers.

Is Cameron, a Conservative PM, actually going to threaten pensioners' pensions and then spend £25bn on overseas aid and the EU?
    Cameron said today that voting to leave is voting for recession. I wouldn't be surprised to hear a veiled threat to cut the state pension in the event of a leave vote.
    If Leave win, I wouldn't be surprised to see a scorched earth strategy by the government.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Oh my, what is this lady wearing? She looks like an extra from a summer filler sci-fi show.

Like the tune though

The pads light up.

*Innocent Face*
    No woman has ever kneed me in the bollocks, which is hindsight is frankly astonishing.
    Ah, you're a gelding? :lol:
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Germany seemed to have chosen Grayson Perry's annoying younger sister.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    Danny565 said:

I wonder if we might do better than usual, as other countries bribe us to try to stay in.
    Well we've been given a very good slot to help us along the way.
  • Options
    French bloke sings (partly) in l'Anglais!

Respec'!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,044

I went to a social event here today in Italy..met seven Brits..they had never met me nor any of the others..from all walks of life..including a Dentist,,.his assistant...a retired fella and his wife from Norfolk A Japanese woman who has lived in the UK all of her life..and two students studying in Florence..They will all be voting to leave.

I don't think I've come across any group of more than about three people where they've all agreed on the question of the EU!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

chestnut said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Cameron said today that voting to leave is voting for recession. I wouldn't be surprised to hear a veiled threat to cut the state pension in the event of a leave vote.
    If Leave win, I wouldn't be surprised to see a scorched earth strategy by the government.
    To punish the voters? And who would the government be? Unlikely to be lead by Cameron for long.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,035
    edited May 2016
    "Get a job or retrain. Don't expect me to regard your fixed income as my priority."

Neither is much of an option when one is over 70.
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944
    Sean_F said:

I would.
  • Options
    The French song is rather good.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

matt said:

Speedy said:

I wonder what all the new arrivals in Sweden, Greece and Germany are making of Eurovision :sweat_smile:

EDIT - and it's being shown in the USA for the first time!

I have a couple of quid on Ukraine. Although looks like Au is causing the stir.
    Belgium's entry sounds like a kluge of half a dozen pop tunes mashed together by Nile Rodgers. I rather liked it.
    I would love a non-european country to win eurovision, just to prove that european song makers are so crap that europeans themselves would prefer someone from the other side of the world rather than their own.
    Israel has won. Was this a skin color related post?
    I actually thought they weren't bad. If they do win I wonder if there'll be any talk of a Zionist conspiracy? The whole thing seems very drab this year and I'm off to read a book
    Take your word on it, just amused that a thread on Boris Johnson being a practiced dissumlator, a poster ignores or is unaware of inconvenient facts which hinder their point.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

This is the choice in a nutshell. Which way will people fall? As a gloomy remainer, I think migration will trump.

Yep, I've always thought Leave would win on the back of immigration. If the government tells you there are too many immigrants, they are ruining public services, scrounging benefits and driving down wages you are going to believe them. Dave can't turn round now and say that actually it isn't true, so he's going to lose.

As I said, Dave can't resist sticking too many eggs into his "Immigrant delight" pudding.
    .......The point REMAINS that REMAIN cannot win without Labour voters.
    That was the fact at the start and the fact 6 weeks from the main election day. Are we any clearer on what % of Labour voters will vote REMAIN or LEAVE? What will be the turnout for the Labour voters for each of these?

I have 30% Labour voters with a 35% LEAVE 65% REMAIN split and turnout 49% LEAVE and 55% REMAIN. Comments?

Most of the Remain Labour voters are middle-class city dwellers and will turn out, Leave Labour voters are working class and less likely to vote (if they have not already defected to UKIP)
  • Options

French bloke sings (partly) in l'Anglais!

Respec'!

Sacre bleu!
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Probably the pick of the crop so far
  • Options
    chestnut said:

surbiton said:

chestnut said:

surbiton said:

MikeL said:

What are the numbers for Remain and Leave?

We seem to have every other number other than the most important ones?

They haven't asked that one.
    Since personal prosperity is better with REMAIN, it will always win. No need to change the 58 - 42 prediction. DKs will heavily fall in line with REMAIN.
    You're misreading the numbers.

33% think they will be worse off. That means 67% don't.
    By your weird logic, since 29% say they will be better off if Brexit takes place, 71% obviously thinks the opposite surely
    Your argument is that people will vote Remain because they believe they will be worse off, if I am understanding it correctly.

Two in three people don't accept that presently.

For a great many people, the EU is a bit meh when it comes to how it will impact on them personally. If it doesn't matter, it won't influence their vote.
    Are you really that thick ?

In the poll 29% said they will be better off if Leave won and 33% said they will be better off if REMAIN won. The other 38% did not know.

Since as a Leaver, you are a twister of words, you wrote that since 33% said they would be better off if we REMAIN, then 67% must believe the opposite.

My contention was that by the same logic since only 29% said they would be better off if we left the EU, 71% must believe the opposite. [ It is by your logic, not mine ].

Comprendo ?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

surbiton said:

Like the tune though

The pads light up.

*Innocent Face*
    No woman has ever kneed me in the bollocks, which in hindsight is frankly astonishing.
    Chipolata and two peanuts issue making the target challenging?
  • Options
    Jesus Christ Eurostar!!
  • Options
    I'm always amused just how many psephologists, polling experts, and political nerds are also #Eurovision nerds
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    surbiton said:

chestnut said:

surbiton said:

chestnut said:

surbiton said:

MikeL said:

What are the numbers for Remain and Leave?

We seem to have every other number other than the most important ones?

They haven't asked that one.
    Since personal prosperity is better with REMAIN, it will always win. No need to change the 58 - 42 prediction. DKs will heavily fall in line with REMAIN.
    You're misreading the numbers.

33% think they will be worse off. That means 67% don't.
    By your weird logic, since 29% say they will be better off if Brexit takes place, 71% obviously thinks the opposite surely
    Your argument is that people will vote Remain because they believe they will be worse off, if I am understanding it correctly.

Two in three people don't accept that presently.

For a great many people, the EU is a bit meh when it comes to how it will impact on them personally. If it doesn't matter, it won't influence their vote.

In the poll 29% said they will be better off if Leave won and 33% said they will be better off if REMAIN won. The other 38% did not know.

Since as a Leaver, you are a twister of words, you wrote that since 33% said they would be better off if we REMAIN, then 67% must believe the opposite.

My contention was that by the same logic since only 29% said they would be better off if we left the EU, 71% must believe the opposite. [ It is by your logic, not mine ].

Comprendo ?
    He's right and you're wrong I'm afraid.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    RSC 1000 It was quite a shock to me..particularly the students....
  • Options
    The Polish one on the other hand is God-awful.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,843
    Poland's costume designed by Sergeant Pepper.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Get a job or retrain. Don't expect me to regard your fixed income as my priority.

Try telling the millions on low incomes or fixed incomes that.
  • Options
    I feel like this is the type of song that even Westlife would've rejected on the grounds of being too dull.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Oh, much preferred Sweden. Poland is crap - he looks like a cross between Capt Jack Sparrow and Ickabod Crane wearing slip on shoes.
  • Options

I'm always amused just how many psephologists, polling experts, and political nerds are also #Eurovision nerds

Must be because it involves a long hard slog of a "campaign" followed by an "interesting" voting system :)
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Danny565 said:

They've all been at best medicore so far.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Because we currently have trade barriers with those countries. Trade barriers we could remove through negotiating our own deals without being held up by things like Romanian visas.

That is not much good if the EU puts new barriers up against the UK. Indeed we might be worse off as the EU is currently a big consumer of UK services.
  • Options

Voting is voting.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

The semi-finals have weeded out all the fun stuff.
  • Options
    Enjoy the Sound of Silence
  • Options

Get a job or retrain. Don't expect me to regard your fixed income as my priority.

According to Stuart Rose of Britain Stronger in Europe wages will go up if we leave.
  • Options
    Still don't understand exactly why Australia are in it.

Pretty good song though.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

As if it matters much.

He will do well from the Polish diaspora.

Australia rather good.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

The Eddie Mair interview with Boris Johnson set the standard."You're a nasty piece of work,aren't you?" is devastating.The 5-2 back price is joke.He is simply not fit for the office of Primus Inter Pares.Of those Tories in the Leave camp,Gove is surely better value at 8-1.He was even better at 28-1.For the Tory right,and another from the Leave camp,Liam Fox continues to poll well in Con Home polls,far better than the 40-1he's currently priced at.
    For the next Tory leader,lay Johnson,back Gove and back Fox at 40-1.

It has to be May. She gave a thoroughly LEAVE speech the other day, from a REMAIN platform.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Danny565 said:

Pretty good song though.

If we keep inviting more former colonies to participate, we may have a shot... :D
  • Options
    She's rather good, this Aussie!
  • Options
    Can see Australia winning, the 'voting blocs' notwithstanding.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,489

Danny565 said:

I quite liked Bulgaria...
  • Options
    Another meh for Australia - bog standard uber vocal
  • Options
    RobD said:

Danny565 said:

Pretty good song though.

If we keep inviting more former colonies to participate, we may have a shot... :D
    Cyprus
    Malta
    ....Ireland :lol:
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,674

According to Stuart Rose of Britain Stronger in Europe wages will go up if we leave.

Has Rose been consigned to an oubliette since he made that statement? For a leader of the Remain campaign he is invisible.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

The Eddie Mair interview with Boris Johnson set the standard."You're a nasty piece of work,aren't you?" is devastating.The 5-2 back price is joke.He is simply not fit for the office of Primus Inter Pares.Of those Tories in the Leave camp,Gove is surely better value at 8-1.He was even better at 28-1.For the Tory right,and another from the Leave camp,Liam Fox continues to poll well in Con Home polls,far better than the 40-1he's currently priced at.
    For the next Tory leader,lay Johnson,back Gove and back Fox at 40-1.

It has to be May. She gave a thoroughly LEAVE speech the other day, from a REMAIN platform.
    Or Hammond, a sceptic Remainer and with likely more MPs support
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Pretty good song though.

When I was a kid, Israel kept winning - that really bothered me.

Ooh - loving Cyprus!
  • Options
    Cyprus entry looking like Andre Agassi after a particularly severe meth splurge.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195

Has Rose been consigned to an oubliette since he made that statement? For a leader of the Remain campaign he is invisible.

I just Googled him - he's completely disappeared.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Pretty good song though.

An exception was made in 2015, when Australia was allowed to compete as a guest entrant as part of the celebration of the 60th anniversary of the event.[6][7][8] In November 2015, the EBU announced that Australia was effected as participant, after the 2015 success.[9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurovision_Song_Contest
  • Options
    The Hollow Crown just started on BBC2 with Benedict Cumberbatch making his first appearance as Richard III if it gets a bit tedious until the UK entry and the voting
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The Hollow Crown just started on BBC2 with Benedict Cumberbatch making his first appearance as Richard III if it gets a bit tedious until the UK entry and the voting

Benedict "Wooden" Lumberbatch :lol:
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    surbiton said:

Comprendo ?

You seem to be unable to grasp the fact that the issue might not matter to a lot of people and prove uncritical.

I recall your similarly cretinous and wholly incorrect ramblings last spring.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Cyprus entry looking like Andre Agassi after a particularly severe meth splurge.

More Right Said Fred's straight brother
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951

What on earth is a fixed income? Does that actually exist anymore; Inthought it was a Bertie Wooster/Mill on the Floss sort of thing...

Migration hurts low wages workers. Leave will help low paid workers. Wages will rise; so said that nice Mr Rose.
  • Options

Yes. Doesn't mean he was wrong though or that his message will not be repeated.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,235
    Danny565 said:

So like Andre Agassi then.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Well he is an Oscar nominee and multi millionaire so has not done too badly!
  • Options
    Another alien queen I see - this time from Serbia.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    It is a clear pattern, isn't it. If you benefit from the laws and regulations of the big state - vote remain. If you make your living by providing something people actually want -vote leave.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pah, not an Oscar Winner :lol:
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I couldn't stand him before he became really famous - now I actively turn over.
  • Options
    Now a song about being beaten up by her man/boyfrend/husband? Call the social services. Ugh!!!
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Pretty good song though.

We were all part of Gondwana !
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,865
    Good lord Eurovision is particularly irritating this year...
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,941
    The good news is that when Spurs lose tomorrow I am going to win £1,195. If Man Utd somehow finish 4th it'll be £1,560.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pah, not an Oscar Winner :lol:
    Give him time, he lost to Eddie Redmayne playing Hawking
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951

The good news is that when Spurs lose tomorrow I am going to win £1,195. If Man Utd somehow finish 4th it'll be £1,560.

Top punting SO!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Behave.
  • Options
    More average Europop from Lithuania - come on guys!
  • Options
    Am I the only one who quite liked Serbia, BTW? Everyone on my Twitter feed was moaning about it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I couldn't stand him before he became really famous - now I actively turn over.
    Send him a vat of Malmsey to play with.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Am I the only one who quite liked Serbia, BTW? Everyone on my Twitter feed was moaning about it.

She was fun
  • Options

Another alien queen I see - this time from Serbia.

Quite good though.
  • Options
    Did they just say Justin Timberlake was an entry? Eh?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    OMW

I take it back - what is Croatia wearing??!!

And she's got a Melody Angel haircut.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Did they just say Justin Timberlake was an entry? Eh?

No he's performing after all the entrants have performed, and whilst the countries are voting
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,865
    Completely bonkers Croatian woman...
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,489
    Croatia appears to be Bjork's long lost sister.
  • Options
    What in the name of Holy Chuffing Buggery is she wearing #Eurovision
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Speedy said:

surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

I think REMAIN can win if the Labour Party came out flat out for REMAIN. 75% of 30% = 22.5%.

Plus Tories' 45% of 37% = 16.6%, LD's 75% of 8% = 6%. 60% of the rest [ excl. UKIP ] 60% of 12% = 7.2%.

All these fractions add up to : 22.5% + 16.6% + 6% + 7.2% = 52.3%. I am assuming 100% of the fruitcakes [ 13% ] will vote to LEAVE [ even though that never happens ]

The point REMAINS that REMAIN cannot win without Labour voters. Those Labour voters [ mostly ex ] who will vote to LEAVE have already decamped to UKIP and the SNP. That is why I am assuming only 60% in Scotland, Wales and NI.
    Well I haven't, but:

"Those Labour voters [ mostly ex ] who will vote to LEAVE have already decamped to UKIP and the SNP "

The SNP ?
    Yes. Most Central and Western belt Labour voters who moved over to the SNP will actually vote to LEAVE. That is why the Scottish element to vote REMAIN has been changed from 70% to 60%. The bonus is in NI where , I think, 60% voting to remain is an understatement.
    For NI I have LEAVE 36% REMAIN 64%, Turnout LEAVE 50% REMAIN 60%.

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883
    Evening all :)

I'm content to leave Eurovision to others - it is of no interest to me in any way, shape or form.

On more serious matters, visited Mr Stodge Senior today and walking back to Orpington station, saw the "IN" campaign stand - manned and operated solely by the Lib Dems. No sign of Orpington Conservatives getting involved - presumably they were with UKIP on the LEAVE stand but I didn't see that. No such fripperies in East Ham High Street I'm glad to say.

There are a couple of aspects to the topic - first, politicians are allowed to change their minds. We make a ludicrous virtue of consistency over long periods of time but keeping an open mind and being willing to consider other options if new evidence is presented seems obvious. To be forced to have the same opinions at 50 as you had at 30 in order not to be labelled a hypocrite or indecisive by your opponents seems strange.

There's also the sheer quantity of facts to retain - I was told the other day 90% of the world's electronic data had been created in the past two years. We are drowning in an electronic ocean of trivia and irrelevance (to which I am now contributing). To expect an individual to demonstrate crystal clarity on every issue under the sun at any point is absurd - the Prime Minister has an enviable support network to brief him, most of us don't.

Anyone and everyone can get it wrong - that doesn't make them a liar but it does make them human. I think there are plenty of sticks you can throw at Boris - his time as London Mayor was unremarkable and especially on housing hugely unproductive.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,508
    This one better have a lot more layers to come off if this is going to become interesting.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Pretty good song though.

When I was a kid, Israel kept winning - that really bothered me.

Ooh - loving Cyprus!
    Israel was the first transvestite winner.

Not many eurovision firsts left after that and Lordi.
  • Options

Croatia appears to be Bjork's long lost sister.

I rather liked that - it kept my attention.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,508

This one better have a lot more layers to come off if this is going to become interesting.

She didn't.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Completely bonkers Croatian woman...

Being shadowed by the death eaters too.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,674

surbiton said:

Speedy said:

surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

I think REMAIN can win if the Labour Party came out flat out for REMAIN. 75% of 30% = 22.5%.

Plus Tories' 45% of 37% = 16.6%, LD's 75% of 8% = 6%. 60% of the rest [ excl. UKIP ] 60% of 12% = 7.2%.

All these fractions add up to : 22.5% + 16.6% + 6% + 7.2% = 52.3%. I am assuming 100% of the fruitcakes [ 13% ] will vote to LEAVE [ even though that never happens ]

The point REMAINS that REMAIN cannot win without Labour voters. Those Labour voters [ mostly ex ] who will vote to LEAVE have already decamped to UKIP and the SNP. That is why I am assuming only 60% in Scotland, Wales and NI.
    Well I haven't, but:

"Those Labour voters [ mostly ex ] who will vote to LEAVE have already decamped to UKIP and the SNP "

The SNP ?
    Yes. Most Central and Western belt Labour voters who moved over to the SNP will actually vote to LEAVE. That is why the Scottish element to vote REMAIN has been changed from 70% to 60%. The bonus is in NI where , I think, 60% voting to remain is an understatement.
    For NI I have LEAVE 36% REMAIN 64%, Turnout LEAVE 50% REMAIN 60%.

110% turnout. Normal for NI.
This discussion has been closed.