Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris’s flexible approach to the truth appears to be catchi

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,552
    Go on Ukraine, host next year's Eurovision in the Crimea. Will give me an excuse to visit the scene of the charge of the Light Brigade
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Are the rumours true that Leave is planning commonwealthovision next year with Australia?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Wooo, Ukraine win.

Up Yours Putin

#Eurovision

Um, the song is aimed at Stalin, not Putin.
    Well Putin sees him as a role model, looks like Eurovision has managed to annoy the biggest nation in the competition and the newest member
    Eurovision is supposed to be apolitical.
    Has it ever been so though? It's not worth getting concerned about.

There was a time that eurovision was about music, before it gradually became all about politics, we can trace the moment to the years Britain and other big european countries started dropping in the scores.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,925
    GIN1138 said:

Russia's song/performance was better than Ukraine's dreary entry, IMO.
    I'm watching several hours behind and only just started, but Russia often have good entries in recent years I think - I thought they should have won a few years back when the Austrians won, but that was at the beginning of the Ukraine trouble, and the entry was even booed.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

tlg86 said:

The people of Europe really don't like us!

Vote LEAVE then - that'll show them - hit them in their wallets.
    I assume there's no withdrawing from the European Broadcasting Union though - they're the real masters.
  • Options
    Pong said:

RobD said:

Wow, the juries hated the polish entry... and they are in the top four!

Poland top 10 was my only winning eurovision bet.

All my other bets lost.

Spectacularly.

I'm adding Eurovision to my *never ever bet on* list, along with the boat race and the Oscars.
    Read Roger's Oscars tips, nailed on profit. This year one of his tips was around 79/1 I think.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Frankly I thought it was a load of rubbish!

Well that's the whole point of it, isn't it? :smiley:
    Camp, fun, rubbish is the point. And maybe some actually good ones scattered throughout.
  • Options

Racist Mike - that pretty much rules me out!
    You make that sound like a bad thing :lol:
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Go on Ukraine, host next year's Eurovision in the Crimea. Will give me an excuse to visit the scene of the charge of the Light Brigade

You will probably get shot at the new border, no big objections to the singers facing that fate though.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Ukraine is not yet dead.
    Go borderlands!
  • Options
    Woo, finally managed to ge a reference to the Punic Wars into the morning thread
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Did God win it for Boris?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Jonathan said:

Are the rumours true that Leave is planning commonwealthovision next year with Australia?

That will be an actual song contest for a change, I fully support the idea.

Eurovision ha, who needs it if we have commonwealthovision (the name needs some work though).
    But there is the risk that India may win all the time.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,373
    Speedy said:

Jonathan said:

Eurovision ha, who needs it if we have commonwealthovision (the name needs some work though).
    ImperialVision :)
  • Options

Racist Mike - that pretty much rules me out!
    You make that sound like a bad thing :lol:
    Yet more racism from our REMAIN cheerleader
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Speedy said:

Jonathan said:

Bollyvision ?
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Speedy said:

Jonathan said:

Too royalist for some commonwealth members I think, how about CommonVision ?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Ukraine won without winning either the public vote or the jury vote.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,799
    My husband has no wish to be Prime Minister - ER II
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Jonathan said:

Too royalist for some commonwealth members I think, how about CommonVision ?
    Um, HMQ is the actual head of the Commonwealth?
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Speedy said:

Jonathan said:

Bollyvision ?
    I hate Bollywood and Cricket :lol:
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,900
    edited May 2016

Boris and Hitler. Is this another project fear game changer for REMAIN that we read about night after night after night? FFS how many game changers positive for REMAIN can there be in face of the indicators that are good for LEAVE?

Remain have seen Boris' trust figures on Europe so they're trashing him.

Also seems (to me) to be a fall-back strategy to ensure Boris doesn't become Cameron's successor.
    Exactly correct. From the same people that cried foul when Leave people did the sane in reverse to Cameron.

Boris is an idiot in using the Hitler analogy, but it is nowhere near as dishonest as the "official treaury analysis" they are claiming the £4,300 is. Actually that number is not in the Treasury document but was a back of the envelope calculation by Osborne on top of it. The sheer dishonesty of dividing a 2030 difference by 2015 households is obvious, yet it is the centre of the Remain campaign.
    Have you actually looked at the report? The £4,300 figure is mentioned 8 times in the main body of it, as well as in Osborne's foreword. Also, as far as I can tell, the 2030 difference is not divided by 2015 households. It looks, to me, as though the GDP per capita difference has been calculated using the estimated population for 2030, and has then been multiplied by an assumed household size of 2.44.

Why are people saying that the 2015 household figure has been used? What evidence is there for this?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Ukraine won without winning either the public vote or the jury vote.

Who made the voting system the labour party?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Did God win it for Boris?

Staging his Sunday Paper silly statement at the day of another bizarre and humiliating Eurovision contest.

Why not ?

After all, most people tomorrow will be talking about how Australia was robbed by those pesky europeans and how on earth Poland came from dead stone last up to there, while we where buried as usual.
    Instead of Boris.

Goodnight.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
  • Options

Boris and Hitler. Is this another project fear game changer for REMAIN that we read about night after night after night? FFS how many game changers positive for REMAIN can there be in face of the indicators that are good for LEAVE?

Also seems (to me) to be a fall-back strategy to ensure Boris doesn't become Cameron's successor.

Plausible. A strategy that is stupid and funny.
  • Options

Woo, finally managed to ge a reference to the Punic Wars into the morning thread

Will you include my (unpublished!) Hitler poster?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    @tse

Yeah. Roger definitely knows what he's talking about.

re; Ladbrokes Eurovision tweet - It's kinda reassuring to know even the bookmakers hadn't got a clue about how the voting system would play out.
  • Options

Woo, finally managed to get a reference to the Punic Wars into the morning thread

I am frankly amazed if that has never been the case before.

With my shaky grasp of ancient history (and for me that includes the early 90s as I was too young to remember it) I'm thinking Carthage and Rome are both wings of the Tory party fighting for control of the Party (Mediterranean world) through the EURef, hence why it is led by similar folk on both sides in the same way they were both republican oligarchies. The first punic war was 20 years ago when the pro-EU crowd won out but it didn't really settle matters, the second punic war is this campaign, with Remain (Rome) seemingly being kicked ten ways from sunday and losing ground everywhere in their heartland at least as incompetent leaders consumed with their own politics face off against much more able Leave commanders, but Remain still having enough factors in their favour, including wins in other areas (other parties) to win the day and crush Leave. The third punic war will be the aftermath of a Remain win, as they oppress and mistreat Leavers to the point where eventually all traces will be expunged from the party.

I shall be disappointed if instead it's just a reference of Boris being like a roman consul or something.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Speedy said:

Jonathan said:

Bollyvision ?
    Hi, Zac.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Speedy said:

Jonathan said:

Bollyvision ?
    I hate it when people do not adhere to stereotypes. Makes it so much harder to judge entire groups of people easily.
  • Options
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    Birther Mike
  • Options

Will you include my (unpublished!) Hitler poster?
    No, but I might use it in the afternoon.
  • Options
    nunu said:
    I wonder if anyone will even pretend to get excited about the prospect of Labour losing - no-one kicked up a fuss with the last two by-elections, but this one technically looks closer on paper, even if it seems highly improbable to say the least they could get any closer to taking it right now.
  • Options
    Pong said:

@tse

Yeah. Roger definitely knows what he's talking about.

re; Ladbrokes Eurovision tweet - It's kinda reassuring to know even the bookmakers hadn't got a clue about how the voting system would play out.

It does confirm what has been long speculated about Eurovision voting, that the juries and the public have vastly different voting patterns.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Woo, finally managed to get a reference to the Punic Wars into the morning thread

I am frankly amazed if that has never been the case before.

With my shaky grasp of ancient history (and for me that includes the early 90s as I was too young to remember it) I'm thinking Carthage and Rome are both wings of the Tory party fighting for control of the Party (Mediterranean world) through the EURef, hence why it is led by similar folk on both sides in the same way they were both republican oligarchies. The first punic war was 20 years ago when the pro-EU crowd won out but it didn't really settle matters, the second punic war is this campaign, with Remain (Rome) seemingly being kicked ten ways from sunday and losing ground everywhere in their heartland at least as incompetent leaders consumed with their own politics face off against much more able Leave commanders, but Remain still having enough factors in their favour, including wins in other areas (other parties) to win the day and crush Leave. The third punic war will be the aftermath of a Remain win, as they oppress and mistreat Leavers to the point where eventually all traces will be expunged from the party.

I shall be disappointed if instead it's just a reference of Boris being like a roman consul or something.
    I've decided to remove my gratuitous insult at Hannibal but keep in the general Punic Wars reference.
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

Exactly correct. From the same people that cried foul when Leave people did the sane in reverse to Cameron.

Boris is an idiot in using the Hitler analogy, but it is nowhere near as dishonest as the "official treaury analysis" they are claiming the £4,300 is. Actually that number is not in the Treasury document but was a back of the envelope calculation by Osborne on top of it. The sheer dishonesty of dividing a 2030 difference by 2015 households is obvious, yet it is the centre of the Remain campaign.
    Have you actually looked at the report? The £4,300 figure is mentioned 8 times in the main body of it, as well as in Osborne's foreword. Also, as far as I can tell, the 2030 difference is not divided by 2015 households. It looks, to me, as though the GDP per capita difference has been calculated using the estimated population for 2030, and has then been multiplied by an assumed household size of 2.44.

Why are people saying that the 2015 household figure has been used? What evidence is there for this?
    That 2015 households thing has been all over and not challenged at all. Which page says they divided by 2030 households? When I did this,
    http://aconservatives.blogspot.com/2016/04/osbornes-accountancy-is-very-creative.html
    I used 2030 households with an estimate for Brexit ones and got the reverse result.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    Sunday Times:

"Downing Street has been told by “remain” pollsters that they are 8-10 points ahead despite most polls showing a dead heat, because the most pro-EU voters are hardest to reach."
  • Options
    BBC News

The future of the House of Lords would be called into question if ministers press ahead with plans to curtail its powers, the Lord Speaker has said. Baroness D'Souza said the Lords "should be free to scrutinise, to question and to hold the government to account".

A review of the Lords was launched after it blocked government plans to cut tax credits in October, to the anger of Conservative ministers.
    But Baroness D'Souza said limiting it would "question what it is there for".

During the last parliamentary session, the Lords inflicted 60 defeats on the government, including several changes to the housing bill last week. In return ministers have been clear they are looking into ways of making that harder.The review, was conducted by Lord Strathclyde.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Sunday Times:

"Downing Street has been told by “remain” pollsters that they are 8-10 points ahead despite most polls showing a dead heat, because the most pro-EU voters are hardest to reach."

We shall see, although anyone can tell them that if they like. Not that I think Remain's tactics will prove effective, necessarily, but if they have been told that it's clear they aren't being complacent about it though, given their efforts.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,508

The more people and organisations made into lepers because they depart from the establishment line the better in my book. If Boris starts to get helpings of what has been meted out to Nigel and UKIP, I'm glad. He will quickly realise there's a real rottenness at the top of our politics that needs rooting out.

• Options
    VapidBilgeVapidBilge Posts: 412
    MikeL said:

Sunday Times:

So, the young don't have mobile phone surgically attached to them?

I think this is wishful thinking. It is surely the oldies to are least likely to answer the phone and be online.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

BBC News

The future of the House of Lords would be called into question if ministers press ahead with plans to curtail its powers, the Lord Speaker has said. Baroness D'Souza said the Lords "should be free to scrutinise, to question and to hold the government to account".

A review of the Lords was launched after it blocked government plans to cut tax credits in October, to the anger of Conservative ministers.

During the last parliamentary session, the Lords inflicted 60 defeats on the government, including several changes to the housing bill last week. In return ministers have been clear they are looking into ways of making that harder.The review, was conducted by Lord Strathclyde.

I'd heard it hypothesised that despite decrying the number of defeats, the government was letting it pass so long as, in the end, the big stuff gets through, allowing the opposition to claim victory while preventing them from needing to go for the nuclear option and appoint yet another 100 more tory peers. Not sure I buy that theory personally, I feel there's been too many defeats for a government to blithely accept.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Sunday Times:

Have you got a link please?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Speedy said:

Jonathan said:

Not a chance. Not with all the Caribbean islands voting for each other. It'll be Jamaica, year after year after year....
  • Options
    I've had a brainfart, does photosynthesis help seeds grow?
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Speedy said:

Jonathan said:

Bollyvision ?
    Hi, Zac.
    I'm also against Heathrow expansion :lol:
  • Options

No. Seeds don't have leaves. You need moisture and warmth possibly after cold though depending on the seed.

Once they are seedlings then yes.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Moses_ said:

BBC News

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/637020695478824960
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    MikeL said:

Sunday Times:

I never really had the Islington elite down as Survivalist mountain men....

Strikes me as a load of guff.
  • Options

No. Seeds don't have leaves. You need moisture and warmth possibly after cold though depending on the seed.

Cheers, need to edit the morning thread now.

I was more a physicist, not really interested in the other sciences.

Physics is the only decent science.
  • Options

So was I, but alas not a forgetful one so remember bits of other sciences.

My A level Physics teacher told me to always go back to first principles which is why I rip apart rubbish like the treasury report and spot its first principle errors.
  • Options

That 2015 households thing has been all over and not challenged at all. Which page says they divided by 2030 households? When I did this,
    http://aconservatives.blogspot.com/2016/04/osbornes-accountancy-is-very-creative.html
    I used 2030 households with an estimate for Brexit ones and got the reverse result.
    Well, I've not actually been able to find any indication for what you say.

All the figures in the report are calculated to give a difference in GDP per capita - £1,800 in the case of the "Canada" scenario - and then appear to have been multiplied by an assumed household size of 2.44, before being rounded to the nearest £100. The report doesn't appear to make any assumptions on the number of households at all. It assumes, based on OBR figures, that the population in 2030 will be 71.4m (regardless of Brexit or not), and that the average household size will be 2.44

You state in your blog that "First, the figure £4300 is reached by dividing the projected 2030 GDP by the 27 million households we have today, not by the 31 million households the Treasury assume we will have in 2030." Where are you getting these figures from?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,044

Moses_ said:

Speedy said:

Jonathan said:

Bollyvision ?
    Hi, Zac.
    There are only two ways I judge politicians:

Is Uber a good thing
    and
    Should we expand Heathrow

So far, no politicians have passed. Sadly, you've failed too :-(
  • Options

I was once a physicist - my PhD was in magnetohydrodynamic equilibria in fusion plasmas - long time ago now. I still do a bit a A-level tutoring though.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Sunday Times:

" the most pro-EU voters are hardest to reach"

But the most pro-EU voters are Lib Dems and younger ones. It is the Conservative leaning 55+ that are they hardest to reach and they lean to LEAVE.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

It all comes down to physics, in the end ;)
  • Options

Not something I'd have said, but perhaps the polling is telling Leave that it'd work. Certainly provides for much amusing debate whatever the case. Dave's WAR!!! is getting rebutted...

@kle4 was getting bored and wanted some Hitler - and here it is :smiley:

Could Be better, but a good start.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Chemistry is an interesting branch of physics, and biology a somewhat less interesting branch of chemistry :)
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    RobD said:

Except with your spouse or significant other, when it all comes down to chemistry ;)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097

MikeL said:

Sunday Times:

" the most pro-EU voters are hardest to reach"

But the most pro-EU voters are Lib Dems and younger ones. It is the Conservative leaning 55+ that are they hardest to reach and they lean to LEAVE.
    The argument is probably the former have cellphones, the latter landlines but I cannot see much difference really
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Moses_ said:

Speedy said:

Jonathan said:

Bollyvision ?
    Hi, Zac.
    There are only two ways I judge politicians:

Is Uber a good thing
    and
    Should we expand Heathrow

So far, no politicians have passed. Sadly, you've failed too :-(
    I certainly think both Heathrow and Gatwick should quit wasting money on Tube ads advocating their expansion...
  • Options
    I see The new Fifa is behaving just like the old Fifa, dismissing criticism as baseless. Heck, maybe they'll even be right, the laws of probability suggest they have to be eventually,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36293324
  • Options
    VapidBilgeVapidBilge Posts: 412

The more people and organisations made into lepers because they depart from the establishment line the better in my book. If Boris starts to get helpings of what has been meted out to Nigel and UKIP, I'm glad. He will quickly realise there's a real rottenness at the top of our politics that needs rooting out.

Didn't he compare Kippers to guys who had their genitals ripped off by vacuum cleaners?
  • Options
    edited May 2016

All the figures in the report are calculated to give a difference in GDP per capita - £1,800 in the case of the "Canada" scenario - and then appear to have been multiplied by an assumed household size of 2.44, before being rounded to the nearest £100. The report doesn't appear to make any assumptions on the number of households at all. It assumes, based on OBR figures, that the population in 2030 will be 71.4m (regardless of Brexit or not), and that the average household size will be 2.44

You state in your blog that "First, the figure £4300 is reached by dividing the projected 2030 GDP by the 27 million households we have today, not by the 31 million households the Treasury assume we will have in 2030." Where are you getting these figures from?
    My figures come from reading reports from people who allegedly have read it, however as the numbers seemed to add up and work I had assumed they were correct.

So lets look at households being 27 million.

2030 remain GDP is £2.459 trillion
    2030 leave GDP is £2.333 trillion

Divide each by 27 mil and the results are

remain £91074.
    leave £86407.

Difference £4667

Now if you use 31 million you get
    remain £79322
    Leave £75258.

Difference £4064

So the key is the extra £600. It shows they've used bollocks numbers. Also bollocks assumptions but they are economists and that's what economists do.
  • Options

RobD said:

Chemistry is an interesting branch of physics, and biology a somewhat less interesting branch of chemistry :)
    If it bubbles and smells, it's chemistry.
    If it wriggles and smells, it's biology
    If it doesn't work, it must be physics.
  • Options

RobD said:

If the cat can be both dead and alive, it's sort of physics
  • Options

My figures come from reading reports from people who allegedly have read it, however as the numbers seemed to add up and work I had assumed they were correct.

remain £91074.
    leave £86407.

Difference £4667

remain £79322
    Leave £75258.

Difference £4064

So the key is the extra £600. It shows they've used bollocks numbers. Also bollocks assumptions but they are economists and that's what economists do.
    I have read it, or at least skimmed and searched it, and there is no mention of the number of households being 27 million or any other number. The number of households isn't mentioned. Where are your sources getting this number from?
  • Options

RobD said:

That's about the size of it, though I always considered them in terms of the most likely way of ending up in hospital:

Biology: infection
    Chemistry: poisoning
    Physics: electrocution (which I once witnessed, luckily not fatally)
  • Options

remain £91074.
    leave £86407.

Difference £4667

remain £79322
    Leave £75258.

Difference £4064

I have read it, or at least skimmed and searched it, and there is no mention of the number of households being 27 million or any other number. The number of households isn't mentioned. Where are your sources getting this number from?
    From the newspaper reports that I link to initially but as you can see it can only be 27 million to get the numbers that the treasury do. If you use the correct remain numbers for 2030 for both remain and Brexit to get a different result.
  • Options

RobD said:

Eh? Are you sure about that?

• Options

RobD said:

That's about the size of it, though I always considered them in terms of the most likely way of ending up in hospital:

If you haven't been electrocuted several times you're not a proper physicist.
  • Options

RobD said:

and certainly not an expert on - ahem - current affairs.
  • Options

RobD said:

• Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Quite :)

RobD said:

Yes.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,508

Didn't he compare Kippers to guys who had their genitals ripped off by vacuum cleaners?
    Probably. Now he's getting a taste.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

remain £91074.
    leave £86407.

Difference £4667

remain £79322
    Leave £75258.

Difference £4064

From the newspaper reports that I link to initially but as you can see it can only be 27 million to get the numbers that the treasury do. If you use the correct remain numbers for 2030 for both remain and Brexit to get a different result.
    That doesn't make sense. First you say that 27 million gives £4667, then that it can only be 27 million to get the numbers that the treasury do (£4300). You're contradicting yourself. And we still don't know where the £31 million figure came from.

Also, the treasury report assumes a population of 71.4m in 2030 regardless of Brexit or not. It considers only the differences arising from trade, not population.
  • Options
    Interesting.

Frankly odd that he can slag the remain off for a hard campaign with a straight face on the one hand but I have to say I find the loyalty thing odd.

If this were a minor issue he would be bang on the money. Say for example a rise in tuition fees. Introducing them would be a bigger ask. However this is the future of the country and assuming Gove isn't doing it for game play (Not a fantastically safe assumption with Boris) surely it is a very legitimate issue of conscience?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

No, I'm here to learn. I'll admit that my knowledge of economics is pretty limited, but I can do maths. And I'm curious about where figures come from.
  • Options

remain £91074.
    leave £86407.

Difference £4667

remain £79322
    Leave £75258.

Difference £4064

That doesn't make sense. First you say that 27 million gives £4667, then that it can only be 27 million to get the numbers that the treasury do (£4300). You're contradicting yourself. And we still don't know where the £31 million figure came from.

Also, the treasury report assumes a population of 71.4m in 2030 regardless of Brexit or not. It considers only the differences arising from trade, not population.
    I got the 31 million number from the telegraph report linked to in the post.
  • Options

remain £91074.
    leave £86407.

Difference £4667

remain £79322
    Leave £75258.

Difference £4064

31 million households, not GBP. That'll be the wine!
  • Options

remain £91074.
    leave £86407.

Difference £4667

remain £79322
    Leave £75258.

Difference £4064

Yes, but where did the Telegraph report get it from? I'm no expert in current affairs, but I do know enough not to take newspapers at their word!
  • Options

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

No, I'm here to learn. I'll admit that my knowledge of economics is pretty limited, but I can do maths. And I'm curious about where figures come from.
    The biggest issue I have is assuming the numbers of people would be the same regardless of Brexit and that we would not be keen on other trade deals which do not require sharing sovereignty. Looks like a very odd set of assumptions which then go on to skew the result.
  • Options

remain £91074.
    leave £86407.

Difference £4667

remain £79322
    Leave £75258.

Difference £4064

Yes, but where did the Telegraph report get it from? I'm no expert in current affairs, but I do know enough not to take newspapers at their word!
    I can't answer that one, but I can agree on not trusting journalists but I also don't trust august reports either.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

Cracking cliffhanger of a voting system.

Borda-ring on the ridiculous...

"My scheme is intended only for honest men" - Comte de Borda, 1771
  • Options

remain £91074.
    leave £86407.

Difference £4667

remain £79322
    Leave £75258.

Difference £4064

I can't answer that one, but I can agree on not trusting journalists but I also don't trust august reports either.
    If you don't trust journalists, why are you trusting a journalist? Why not actually read the report and make your own judgement?
  • Options

Interesting.

Frankly odd that he can slag the remain off for a hard campaign with a straight face on the one hand but I have to say I find the loyalty thing odd.

If this were a minor issue he would be bang on the money. Say for example a rise in tuition fees. Introducing them would be a bigger ask. However this is the future of the country and assuming Gove isn't doing it for game play (Not a fantastically safe assumption with Boris) surely it is a very legitimate issue of conscience?
    It is astonishing Cameron thinks he can use the full weight of the taxpayer, outright fabricated figures and extreme scaremongering on his side, yet those on the other side should have to campaign halfheartedly or else be threatening party unity.
  • Options

Interesting.

It is astonishing Cameron thinks he can use the full weight of the taxpayer, outright fabricated figures and extreme scaremongering on his side, yet those on the other side should have to campaign halfheartedly or else be threatening party unity.
    What fabricated figures?
  • Options

Interesting.

What fabricated figures?
    Edit: Also, what extreme scaremongering?
  • Options

Interesting.

What fabricated figures?
    The £4300 number.

See here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36073201
    https://fullfact.org/europe/4300-question-would-leaving-eu-really-make-every-household-worse/
  • Options

Interesting.

What fabricated figures?
    The £4300 number.

See here:

https://fullfact.org/europe/4300-question-would-leaving-eu-really-make-every-household-worse/
    Neither of those references indicates that the £4300 number is fabricated. Why do you think it is fabricated?
  • Options

Interesting.

What fabricated figures?
    War in Europe (also genocide in original media briefings), migrant camps in South East England.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/02/project-fear-scaremongering-almost-lost-scotland-what-makes-cameron-think-it-will-work-for-england/
  • Options

Interesting.

What fabricated figures?
    The £4300 number.

See here:

Neither of those references indicates that the £4300 number is fabricated. Why do you think it is fabricated?
    "The government is confusing GDP per household with household income."
     "Given that one of the key points of leaving the EU is supposed to be to tighten up the UK's borders, it seems a mistake not to take into account that effect. The same is true, as mentioned earlier, with the figures of GDP per household being based on the number of households in 2015, not a forecast for 2030."
    "Taken as a prediction of the cost to families, £4,300 is almost certainly wrong"
  • Options

Interesting.

What fabricated figures?
    War in Europe (also genocide in original media briefings), migrant camps in South East England.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/02/project-fear-scaremongering-almost-lost-scotland-what-makes-cameron-think-it-will-work-for-england/
    Ah yes, the mythical original media briefings. How about a reference to what Cameron actually said, rather than what people claimed/think he might have said/was going to say?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,919

I was once a physicist - my PhD was in magnetohydrodynamic equilibria in fusion plasmas - long time ago now. I still do a bit a A-level tutoring though.

Go on. Build "Red October", I dare ya... :)
  • Options

Interesting.

What fabricated figures?
    The £4300 number.

See here:

"The government is confusing GDP per household with household income."
     "Given that one of the key points of leaving the EU is supposed to be to tighten up the UK's borders, it seems a mistake not to take into account that effect. The same is true, as mentioned earlier, with the figures of GDP per household being based on the number of households in 2015, not a forecast for 2030."
    "Taken as a prediction of the cost to families, £4,300 is almost certainly wrong"
    Another journalist quoter. :-) The actual report makes no mention of the number of households. Why do the journalists think that the figures for GDP per household are based on the number of households in 2015? Why do PBers put such trust in journalists?
This discussion has been closed.