Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris’s flexible approach to the truth appears to be catchi

Comments

• Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Oh Russia! This is great staging and bouncy clapalong. My favourite so far
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Russia a bit underwhelming for the supposed 'favourite'.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Dark angels from Russia. Song not bad. At least it had some sort of tune. You could imagine Russian panzers streaming towards Europe singing that song.
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

For NI I have LEAVE 36% REMAIN 64%, Turnout LEAVE 50% REMAIN 60%.

Where do you have the main event? Who is to win the referendum over all?
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

Anyone and everyone can get it wrong - that doesn't make them a liar but it does make them human. I think there are plenty of sticks you can throw at Boris - his time as London Mayor was unremarkable and especially on housing hugely unproductive.

Agreed. Anyone who thinks Cameron can go from it'l be OK if we leaver to it'l be WWIII on the one hand is credible but someone changing their mind on a treaty the text of which is secret shows they blow in the wind is both an odd and untenable position to take. That seems Soames position.

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    Spain top 5.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,508
    Russia - nice staging, shame about the song.
  • Options
    Spain appears to be a Madonna 80s retread. I thought the cute guy at the beginning was Spain - now I'm confused.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Russia: Leni Riefenstahl does Eurovision?
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    MikeK said:

Dark angels from Russia. Song not bad. At least it had some sort of tune. You could imagine Russian panzers streaming towards Europe singing that song.

I think they were T34's but get the point.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    I assume that given the references to thunder and lightning the Russian entry is a tribute to English Electric and the Nene engine.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,547
    I like Spain using the messaging of Remain.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Spain appears to be a Madonna 80s retread. I thought the cute guy at the beginning was Spain - now I'm confused.

Think he was Hungary.
  • Options

110% turnout. Normal for NI.

When Soames was opining on how Churchill would vote I was thinking:

He died years ago, what he would have done doesn't matter and as he wasn't buried in Northern Ireland, he doesn't get a vote!
  • Options
    Ha! A Eurovision branded straitjacket!! :lol:
  • Options
    The_Taxman - I do not understand your point. Can you please inform us what is the source of your fixed income that you think is threatened by Brexit? Or are you in favour of LEAVE?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,919

3. Leavers are not "little Englanders" Remainers are Little Europeans. There will be no splendid isolation.

Is there a prize for the largest group you can attach the word "Little" to? Can I go for "Little Human"? Or is that too speciesist?

4. Leaving the EU will not actually reduce household incomes. See http://aconservatives.blogspot.com/2016/04/osbornes-accountancy-is-very-creative.html

We will have to disagree on this. Leaving aside the opportunity cost for the moment, I think they'll be absolutely smaller in the short/medium term (2-5 years).

1. It's mostly the less well off that will vote for Brexit not the ABs. 2. They do genuinely feel immigration is keeping down their wages.

It's a fair point: for some of them it will be the truth, and for others they will consider the reduction in their wealth to be worth the reduction in immigration. My response to this is that the migration levels are driven by geopolitics/the UK government and will remain (pun!) high even after LEAVE. I had a lengthy discussion about this with Socrates, I think last year.

Some wealthy people will vote to LEAVE because they can afford the drop in wealth: a class that considers themselves bereft if they have only one dishwasher is not one to be swayed by logical argument.[1] Some poor people will vote to LEAVE as detailed above. But the squeezed middle, with mortgages and credit card bills, are entitled to consider the costs and how it will affect their lives. Calling the costs "small sums" or deprecating their patriotism is wrong.

[1] In my lighter moments I wonder if telling them their "liposuctioned plutocratic arses will look absolutely YUUUGE if they vote LEAVE" might work
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    On topic:
    I don't care whether Boris is parsimonious with the truth
    I only care whether he agrees with me.
    Ummmm
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited May 2016
    While we are all watching the musical horror show, fistfights have erupted at the Nevada Democratic Convention between Hillary and Sanders supporters over the Hillary campaign trying to reduce the number of Sanders delegates.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

He died years ago, what he would have done doesn't matter and as he wasn't buried in Northern Ireland, he doesn't get a vote!
    If I were Churchill's grandson, I cherish the fantasy I'd have done something more than shot my mouth off at every given opportunity and opined on what my grandfather would have done. Sadly for Soames the family traits end with the double chins.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Moses_ said:

MikeK said:

I think they were T34's but get the point.
    Now they've upped the ante with modern T14's - Armata.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited May 2016

LEAVE 51.8% REMAIN 48.2%
  • Options

If I were Churchill's grandson, I cherish the fantasy I'd have done something more than shot my mouth off at every given opportunity and opined on what my grandfather would have done. Sadly for Soames the family traits end with the double chins.
    I've always thought he was a boorish oaf - the more I hear from him, the more my view is confirmed.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    I'm watching the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time since the early 1970s, when the songs were all bubblegum, not memorable, relentlessly 'pop' and the whole thing was kitsch and way over produced. Some things never change.

It's the middle of the afternoon here, 29 degrees C, so staying inside is a challenge.

The show is on LOGO, the network appealing to the LGBTQ set. It's not in HD, (don't know why, LOGO broadcasts in HD), and has two relentlessly gay female commentators (who obviously know nothing about the contest or its history) who talk constantly, make lots of comments about this singer being bi-sexual, sequins, double entendres, shoes and other dross.

Frankly watching it is an ordeal.

I miss the multi-lingual Katie Boyle and her "Norway - nul points." in French.
  • Options
    Crimea River
  • Options
    Umm, Ukrainian lady reminded me of a witch desperately trying to cast a spell.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Speedy said:

surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

Leave seems to be making gains across the board.
    This is the choice in a nutshell. Which way will people fall? As a gloomy remainer, I think migration will trump.

Yep, I've always thought Leave would win on the back of immigration. If the government tells you there are too many immigrants, they are ruining public services, scrounging benefits and driving down wages you are going to believe them. Dave can't turn round now and say that actually it isn't true, so he's going to lose.

As I said, Dave can't resist sticking too many eggs into his "Immigrant delight" pudding.
    I think REMAIN can win if the Labour Party came out flat out for REMAIN. 75% of 30% = 22.5%.

Plus Tories' 45% of 37% = 16.6%, LD's 75% of 8% = 6%. 60% of the rest [ excl. UKIP ] 60% of 12% = 7.2%.

All these fractions add up to : 22.5% + 16.6% + 6% + 7.2% = 52.3%. I am assuming 100% of the fruitcakes [ 13% ] will vote to LEAVE [ even though that never happens ]

The point REMAINS that REMAIN cannot win without Labour voters. Those Labour voters [ mostly ex ] who will vote to LEAVE have already decamped to UKIP and the SNP. That is why I am assuming only 60% in Scotland, Wales and NI.
    Well I haven't, but:

"Those Labour voters [ mostly ex ] who will vote to LEAVE have already decamped to UKIP and the SNP "

The SNP ?
    Yes. Most Central and Western belt Labour voters who moved over to the SNP will actually vote to LEAVE. That is why the Scottish element to vote REMAIN has been changed from 70% to 60%. The bonus is in NI where , I think, 60% voting to remain is an understatement.

Ha, the turnout is for each specific area! 36% of NI vote LEAVE and of that 36% only 50% of them will bother to vote.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Sh*t

I was betting blind on this Eurovision - If there's any justice, Spain should win it.

I've reversed my lays on spain top 3/4/5/10 and had a small punt on them to win at 59/1

Pity I missed the 250/1 e/w
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

I'm watching the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time since the early 1970s, when the songs were all bubblegum, not memorable, relentlessly 'pop' and the whole thing was kitsch and way over produced. Some things never change.

It's the middle of the afternoon here, 29 degrees C, so staying inside is a challenge.

The show is on LOGO, the network appealing to the LGBTQ set. It's not in HD, (don't know why, LOGO broadcasts in HD), and has two relentlessly gay female commentators (who obviously know nothing about the contest or its history) who talk constantly, make lots of comments about this singer being bi-sexual, sequins, double entendres, shoes and other dross.

Frankly watching it is an ordeal.

I miss the multi-lingual Katie Boyle and her "Norway - nul points." in French.

I'm just glad the fad for male ballad singers with a piano has died out. That was beyond dreary.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Crimea River

That's appalling but quite good in equal order

Oh dear.... Malta has a pitch invasion
  • Options
    Looks of Mariah Carey, voice of Archbishop Dr George Carey.
  • Options

LEAVE 51.8% REMAIN 48.2%
    Interesting. Close. Not the way the establishment would have it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,962
    Speedy said:

While we are all watching the musical horror show, fistfights have erupted at the Nevada Democratic Convention between Hillary and Sanders supporters over the Hillary campaign trying to reduce the number of Sanders delegates.

The same thing happened at the Saturday 2 April 2016: County Conventions
  • Options
    I'm sure Leavers will be lining up to criticise this ridiculous hyperbole from Project Fear

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/731588644474114050
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited May 2016

I'm sure Leavers will be lining up to criticise this ridiculous hyperbole from Project Fear

twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/731588644474114050

Are you suggesting the EU don't want a superstate?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,371

Anti-semite Adolf believed in a single European Superstate

Believe in BRITAIN!

Be LEAVE!
  • Options
    And we're back - I voted for Sweden. Loved Austria's retro song and Cyprus too
  • Options
    Looks like PB's back - UK entry wasn't half bad :)
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited May 2016
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Did Hitler want a superstate?

I thought he wanted a German Reich, but not equal rights for other peoples.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Umming and ahhing about doing the morning thread with the headline

'What is it about ex London Mayors that make them talk bollocks about Hitler?'
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    For tennis fans, the Djokovic vs Nishikori match just now is perhaps the best example of ball striking I I have ever seen.

Murray looks to have a good chance tomorrow afternoon for once.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    Pong said:

Sh*t

I was betting blind on this Eurovision - If there's any justice, Spain should win it.

I've reversed my lays on spain top 3/4/5/10 and had a small punt on them to win at 59/1

Pity I missed the 250/1 e/w

Quite. The audience loved it. Possibly even more than JT.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    I think this is a very average Eurovision. I thought Austria was half decent, but Spain is the big mover in the betting. If this was the X Factor I would be suspicious of the Timberlake interview taking place in the vicinity of the girls from Spain, Austria and Bulgaria. But I suspect it's just because they are pretty girls who they wanted in shot rather than some ploy to win them votes.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,114

Latest from Boris - comparing EU to Hitler

Did Boris specify whether this was before or after he went mad?
  • Options

That is a European superstate! :D
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Not something I'd have said, but perhaps the polling is telling Leave that it'd work. Certainly provides for much amusing debate whatever the case. Dave's WAR!!! is getting rebutted...

@kle4 was getting bored and wanted some Hitler - and here it is :smiley:
  • Options
    UK entry was likeable.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I think this is a very average Eurovision. I thought Austria was half decent, but Spain is the big mover in the betting. If this was the X Factor I would be suspicious of the Timberlake interview taking place in the vicinity of the girls from Spain, Austria and Bulgaria. But I suspect it's just because they are pretty girls who they wanted in shot rather than some ploy to win them votes.

Really liked Austria - so retro and sweet, was it my imagination or did she sing in French too?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    and we're back!
  • Options
    fingers crossed for more than a point today!
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Really liked Austria - so retro and sweet, was it my imagination or did she sing in French too?
    It was. Norton said it was the first time the Austrian entry had sung in French since 1966....when they won. Watching the recap I quite liked Bulgaria too.
  • Options
    Great timing.....

"Scheduled - Starting at 2PM Eastern Time on May 14th, Vanilla's hosting environment will be in a maintenance window for 6 hours. During this time, all nodes in the environment will be rebooted at least once and as a result there will be some instance downtime which will impact customer forums. We expect the actual outage period to last for approximately 45 minutes. We expect this upgrade to solve some long standing pain points for us and improve our ability to provide consistently high uptime for our customers, so we are excited to move ahead"

http://status.vanillaforums.com/
  • Options

The EU has pretensions of being a superstate. Hitler wanted a greater Germany etc. They may have been geographically similar and the EU may not be democratic but it is hyperbole.

It's a bit like Cameron, Osbourne, Legarde et al really.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Not a superstate as such. Structures were never particularly important to him, in contrast to the EU.
  • Options
    gettingbettergettingbetter Posts: 477

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You mean Australia. Austria is not in Europe.
  • Options

The EU has pretensions of being a superstate. Hitler wanted a greater Germany etc. They may have been geographically similar and the EU may not be democratic but it is hyperbole.

So you Leavers will be lining up to criticise Boris the way you did Dave?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Politicians been economical with the truth....whatever next...
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Uh?

And yes, she was singing in French. Do shifting borders mean it's an official language out there?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,673
    The trouble is that the EU is more of a shitstate than a superstate.
  • Options
    Loving the Eurovision pisstake of the perfect entry
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,673

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Uh?

And yes, she was singing in French. Do shifting borders mean it's an official language out there?
    You're getting mixed up with Arabic.
  • Options

So you Leavers will be lining up to criticise Boris the way you did Dave?
    I just have.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,919

Not something I'd have said, but perhaps the polling is telling Leave that it'd work

The polling may be telling LEAVE that it'd work, but it is a ludicrously disproportionate claim, not one that somebody claiming to be an adult could make.

Remember I keep saying that Boris's reputation for intelligence is overstated?
  • Options
    What is it with politicians & Hitler...seems like we can't have a speech without old adolf getting a name check.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Can I vote for Love Love Peace Peace?
  • Options
    My vote goes to "Love Love Peace Peace"
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    not enough people in hamster wheels.. it'll never win.
  • Options

Not a superstate as such. Structures were never particularly important to him, in contrast to the EU.
    Protectorate of Bohemia Moravia (1938/1939)
    General Government (Poland - 1939)
    Reichskommissariat Nederland (1940)
    Reichskommissariat Norwegen (1940)
    Reichskommissariat Ostland (Baltics + Belarus - 1941)
    Reichskommissariat Ukraine (1941)
    Bezirk Bialystok (1941)
    Operational Zone of the Alpine foothills (Italian Tyrol - 1943)
    Operational Zone of the Adriatic Littoral (Slovenia, Trieste - 1943)
    Reichskommissariat Belgium and North France (1944).
  • Options

What is it with politicians & Hitler...seems like we can't have a speech without old adolf getting a name check.
    Has that horse just nutted Liz? To the tower with it.....
  • Options
    Boris: "Napoleon, Hitler, various people tried this out, & it ends tragically..The EU is an attempt to do this by different methods"
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    And I need to thank Boris once again for coming along at exactly the right moment and proving me right. I said it only a few hours ago in spite of the polling on trust.

The longer the campaign goes on the more of a liability he will become. At the moment he seems pretty bulletproof but many more of these ludicrous comparisons and any benefit he has to Leave will dwindle pretty quickly.

I would have thought that any politician would have learnt long ago that any comparison of anything with Hitler in any way, good bad or indifferent, is simply a stupid thing to do.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Come on Italy
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Not something I'd have said, but perhaps the polling is telling Leave that it'd work

The polling may be telling LEAVE that it'd work, but it is a ludicrously disproportionate claim, not one that somebody claiming to be an adult could make.

Remember I keep saying that Boris's reputation for intelligence is overstated?
    To be fair we haven't read the article so don't know how the headline came about. Clearly the EU wants to be a superstate. However it isn't going to be like Hitler's reich and getting caught in that meme is not only daft but quite unhelpful.
  • Options

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/0/02/20160204001954!Greater_German_Reich_NS_Administration_1944.png
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

I've always thought he was a boorish oaf - the more I hear from him, the more my view is confirmed.
    I have met him several times and he can be an arrogant shit, especially if he doesn't get exactly what he wants delivered exactly the way he wants it. He can also be the most charming and gracious fellow you could ever wish to meet, and he has a wicked sense of humour. As an MP he is top notch - he knows how to get things done in Whitehall and uses that knowledge to help his constituents. When he takes an interest in something then, e.g. a certain University's Army Cadet scheme, he really takes an interest. He is certainly not stupid and he doesn't stand on ceremony (once when Tony Blair was PM Soames collared him a corridor in Parliament literally backed him against the wall and standing just a few inches away told Blair exactly why he was wrong about the army's needs in Afghanistan).

So no, I don't think he is a boorish oaf at all. Not someone I'd care to invite for dinner or an evening's bridge, but someone I'd vote for.
  • Options

Can I vote for Love Love Peace Peace?

They've totally played up the gay angle so well with the oiled up drummers, and that girl licking the butter plunger! And the grannies - I remember them. The whole thing had me crying with laughter
  • Options
    UK may not come in the last five this year!
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Malta gives us 12 points!
  • Options
    Blimey, Malta usually give us nothing!
  • Options
    Uk douze points! Vote Remain!
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    No nul points this year.
  • Options
    bunncobunnco Posts: 169
    Germany in last place. Boris wrong again!
  • Options
    There must be a good chance that next year's Eurovision will be held in the UK, France or Spain - three big contributors who have not hosted it recently.
  • Options

Uk douze points! Vote Remain!

Non-EU member (and not even Europe member) Australia in the lead. Vote Leave!
  • Options
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    That's the problem with "The thick of it" if you're in politics. You do something stupid, and Malcolm Tucker has seen something like it and put it down....
  • Options
    Russia having Ukranian tanks parked on its lawn...
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited May 2016

ComRes: By two-to-one margin, 45% to 21%, voters say that Boris Johnson is “more likely to tell the truth about the EU” than David Cameron.

At what point will the head of BSE, Will Straw, tell Cameron that he must STFU and not represent REMAIN anymore?

• Options
    bunncobunnco Posts: 169
    Germany awards Douze Points to Israel - Livingstone was right!
This discussion has been closed.