Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Jenrick remains the favourite to succeed Sunak – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    Leon said:

Hilarious scenes by Brighton station. A handful of EDL types turned up hoping to cause mayhem, outnumbered by many hundreds of people politely telling them that they're not welcome in the city. They got nowhere near their target, and seem to have gone now. One arrest. Very effective policing.

Perhaps a naive question, but why are so many of the anti-racist protesters wearing face coverings? Hoping for a scuffle, or afraid of tear gas and the like?
    Hoping for a scuffle. A fair number will be extremely unpleasant antifa antiSemites, as we have seen earlier
    Yawn.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,533

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

How many officers are getting overtime for the "expected 100 Fascist coup attempts" tonight?

6000?

The absurd government should just give me £2,000 a minute to make predictions, and I'd still save them millions

Though your predictions of invasions by a) aliens, b) the woke, c) non-pretty ethnics, would probably about make it a net deficit.
    Non-pretty ethnics??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbaGry1F_VU
    Don't you know that pretty, female, long legged, slim ethnics are fine? Other ethnics are debatable. These are the criteria which drive the economy. Around a select area of London at least.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,057
    I gave perplexity.ai a list of my favorite bands and singers and asked them to recommend other bands, singers and soundtracks. It got them bang on. This is scary.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762

Looks like way more anti-nazi rallies out there than any nazi activity so far.

Fingers crossed...

You are making the assumption that the anti nazi rallies are any better I have always regarded hope not hate as fascist
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,226
    MaxPB said:

Fucks sake, another silver. It's not been our games this year.

Currently 12/49 medals are gold.

Compare with:

2020 22/64
    2016 27/67
    2012 29/65
    2008 19/51

The number of medals will be okay but the gold proportion is well down.

Whether that is luck or something more negative I don't know.

To increase medals then more are needed in swimming - 105 available in the pool of which only five were won.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    edited August 7

Hilarious scenes by Brighton station. A handful of EDL types turned up hoping to cause mayhem, outnumbered by many hundreds of people politely telling them that they're not welcome in the city. They got nowhere near their target, and seem to have gone now. One arrest. Very effective policing.

Perhaps a naive question, but why are so many of the anti-racist protesters wearing face coverings? Hoping for a scuffle, or afraid of tear gas and the like?
    Covid. It’s been rampant this summer.

EDIT: beaten by Northern Al…damn!
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,366
    edited August 7
    Talking of insurance not doing what it says, the famed YouTube scam exposer Coffeezilla is being sued and because of the size of his channel / topics he covers he took out media liability insurance, except on page 31 of the policy in the small print there is a clause that basically means he isn't covered against much at all. Likely to be on the hook for $100ks in legal fees.

Interestingly, during coverage of this, it was claimed that the massive payout of the voting machine story that Fox News got stung with was actually largely covered by their liability insurance and tax write offs.

https://fortune.com/2023/04/24/fox-7875-million-settlement-dominion-voting-systems-insurance-tax-deductions/
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

The markets are right. Jenrick is favourite

Let’s face it, none of the candidates is Augustus Caesar, they all have grave flaws. Badenoch is flimsy, Patel is widely disliked, Tugendhat is Who?

This guy probably has the fewest flaws. He’s young, articulate, not posh - self made. He looks vaguely prime ministerial and he’s quite right wing without being Suella, voters may like that

Also, it will drive the Corbynite anti-Semites mad if both the PM and the LOTO have “Zio” wives. So it’s worth doing for that alone

Unfortunately he's also an unelectable careerist dud who's very obviously manoeuvring himself to gain the votes of the remaining hard-line factionalists in the PCP in order to get into the final two.

Chasing Farage is a mug's game. The threat from the LibDems hoovering up the remaining Home Counties seats (backbone of the Tory party since Lord Salisbury) is far more existential.
    No it isn't, the LDs have pretty much hit their ceiling in the Home Counties, taking almost all the Remain seats and some of the soft Leave seats there on 4th July. They are unlikely to get many if any more and in any case in some of those LD seats the Tory and Reform vote combined was bigger than the LD vote
    The LDs will be building up their support in seats they haven’t yet won, as we speak.
    From where? If they couldn't win Tory voters this time they are unlikely to win many more next time and they have already squeezed Labour tactical votes in their target seats as far as they can go
    We targeted ruthlessly. For instance Farnham and Bordon was not a top target even though it could have been. Supporters were coming from there to other targets like Guildford. If all goes well for the LDs and we don't need to target Guildford the same way as this time we will all be in Farnham and Bordon and if under the same circumstances as the last election it would fall. We nearly took it without working it. Think what we could do if we really went for it.

That will happen all over the country. I would predict that if the election was run with both the LDs and Tories on the same level of popularity as at the GE, but starting with the current seats we would take another 20 seats. At least 2 more in Surrey for a start.
    The combined Tory and Reform vote in Farnham was 47%, the LD vote only 33%
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,226
    Leon said:

Hoping for a scuffle. A fair number will be extremely unpleasant antifa antiSemites, as we have seen earlier
    Quite a few likely have criminal records as well.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

How many officers are getting overtime for the "expected 100 Fascist coup attempts" tonight?

6000?

The absurd government should just give me £2,000 a minute to make predictions, and I'd still save them millions

Though your predictions of invasions by a) aliens, b) the woke, c) non-pretty ethnics, would probably about make it a net deficit.
    I made a pretty bold prediction this morning, standing in the Vueling Q for Heathrow at Orly. I simply extracted the information available, crunched it like GPTeightyfuckingbillion, then extrapolated the outcome, with my insane knowkedge of sociopsychology, and realised: the riots are over. They are done. Doesn't even need rain

I AM GENIUS
    AI "persona" generated by the Speccie!
  • Nigelb said:

Oh dear, what a shame.

Wow. As they say, big if true. But it does appear as though Yevgeny Poddubny, one of the most prominent of Russia’s war propagandists, has been killed in a Ukrainian FPV drone strike. He was present in all of the Kremlin’s wars of the past decade+, including the Donbas in 2014.
    https://x.com/ChristopherJM/status/1821260779376799758

On Russian soil?

Cool.

Slava Ukraini.

Heard they were confronted by a phalanx of drag queens at Brighton station.
    Wouldn't be surprised. I didn't see the drag queens, but I did see an impromptu band playing jolly songs to welcome them.
    I've often thought that one of my main criteria for "are you an ok lot?" is "can you muster a decent oompah oompah band". Don't really care what the instruments are.

I should be in charge of the UK Citizenship programme. I really should.
  • DougSeal said:

Covid is history.

It says something about how weird Brighton is if they're still wearing face coverings due to Covid.
    edited August 7
    You can spot the difference between those who are irrationally concerned about COVID in the outdoors and using a mask for other reasons, the latter are covered head to toe in black, hood up, etc...even when it is middle of summer.

Talking of insurance not doing what it says, the famed YouTube scam exposer Coffeezilla is being sued and because of the size of his channel / topics he covers he took out media liability insurance, except on page 31 of the policy in the small print there is a clause that basically means he isn't covered against much at all. Likely to be on the hook for $100ks in legal fees.

Interestingly, during coverage of this, it was claimed that the massive payout of the voting machine story that Fox News got stung with was actually largely covered by their liability insurance and tax write offs.

https://fortune.com/2023/04/24/fox-7875-million-settlement-dominion-voting-systems-insurance-tax-deductions/

I've taken to running insurance policies etc through Anthropic's "Claude" AI model to ask it to spot "gotcha's" etc. Surprisingly good at it.
    ohnotnow said:

I've taken to running insurance policies etc through Anthropic's "Claude" AI model to ask it to spot "gotcha's" etc. Surprisingly good at it.
    I am finding Claude much more useful than ChatGPT.
  • ManOfGwentManOfGwent Posts: 52

You can spot the difference between those who are concerned about COVID and using a mask for other reasons, the later are covered head to toe in black, hood up, etc...even when it is middle of summer.

Yes, a surgical mask I'd accept for COVID. Baseball cap with hood up and a mask tells a bit of a different story.

DougSeal said:

Covid is history.

It says something about how weird Brighton is if they're still wearing face coverings due to Covid.
    FFS Barty. I’ll admit it wasn’t comedy gold but surely it was obvious Northern Al and I were joking.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    Nigelb said:

Oh dear, what a shame.

Wow. As they say, big if true. But it does appear as though Yevgeny Poddubny, one of the most prominent of Russia’s war propagandists, has been killed in a Ukrainian FPV drone strike. He was present in all of the Kremlin’s wars of the past decade+, including the Donbas in 2014.
    https://x.com/ChristopherJM/status/1821260779376799758

Provocation! Screams the Kremlin.
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Let’s face it, none of the candidates is Augustus Caesar, they all have grave flaws. Badenoch is flimsy, Patel is widely disliked, Tugendhat is Who?

This guy probably has the fewest flaws. He’s young, articulate, not posh - self made. He looks vaguely prime ministerial and he’s quite right wing without being Suella, voters may like that

Also, it will drive the Corbynite anti-Semites mad if both the PM and the LOTO have “Zio” wives. So it’s worth doing for that alone

Unfortunately he's also an unelectable careerist dud who's very obviously manoeuvring himself to gain the votes of the remaining hard-line factionalists in the PCP in order to get into the final two.

Chasing Farage is a mug's game. The threat from the LibDems hoovering up the remaining Home Counties seats (backbone of the Tory party since Lord Salisbury) is far more existential.
    No it isn't, the LDs have pretty much hit their ceiling in the Home Counties, taking almost all the Remain seats and some of the soft Leave seats there on 4th July. They are unlikely to get many if any more and in any case in some of those LD seats the Tory and Reform vote combined was bigger than the LD vote
    The LDs will be building up their support in seats they haven’t yet won, as we speak.
    From where? If they couldn't win Tory voters this time they are unlikely to win many more next time and they have already squeezed Labour tactical votes in their target seats as far as they can go
    We targeted ruthlessly. For instance Farnham and Bordon was not a top target even though it could have been. Supporters were coming from there to other targets like Guildford. If all goes well for the LDs and we don't need to target Guildford the same way as this time we will all be in Farnham and Bordon and if under the same circumstances as the last election it would fall. We nearly took it without working it. Think what we could do if we really went for it.

That will happen all over the country. I would predict that if the election was run with both the LDs and Tories on the same level of popularity as at the GE, but starting with the current seats we would take another 20 seats. At least 2 more in Surrey for a start.
    You’re going to be adding the Tory and Reform share together until the end of time aren’t you?
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Covid is history.

FFS Barty. I’ll admit it wasn’t comedy gold but surely it was obvious Northern Al and I were joking.
    I have actually seen quite a few people recently back masked up and not in I am here to steal your mobile mode.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,845
    Central Brighton is the UK Green and Gay capital.

A slightly odd choice for 20 fascists, but good to hear there was a good oompah band to welcome them, at the station.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196
    ohnotnow said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

6000?

Non-pretty ethnics??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbaGry1F_VU
    Don't you know that pretty, female, long legged, slim ethnics are fine? Other ethnics are debatable. These are the criteria which drive the economy. Around a select area of London at least.
    Isn't that Trump's policy on immigration?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731

Wouldn't be surprised. I didn't see the drag queens, but I did see an impromptu band playing jolly songs to welcome them.
    Good turnout in Brighton.

https://x.com/PhilipProudfoot/status/1821264775403466800?t=AUfUhuhJe9P7k_4npFTKbA&s=19

"Run from the drag queens, we saw you run from the drag queens..."

ohnotnow said:

I am finding Claude much more useful than ChatGPT.
    Yeah - the Sonnet 3.5 really is a step up. With all the departures from OpenAI of late we'll see if they can step up if/when they finish training gpt++ or if they're a busted flush.

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Covid is history.

I have actually seen quite a few people recently back masked up and not in I am here to steal your mobile mode.
    I have too but all on the Tube.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,904
    edited August 7
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Covid is history.

Since COVID I've been pretty sensitive about people with colds/consumption/pertussis spluttering about without a mask on.

I dislike them almost as much as I do SUV drivers.
    edited August 7
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

glw said:

JohnO said:

Jenrick turned up for a very quickly arranged Chinese dinner last night. Fluent presentation but the usual hard-right shtick to entice the membership. Hey that worked so well in 1997-2005. I berated him for his open support for Trump (well, what a surprise) to which he replied that the GOP is our "sister party".

No chance of his getting my vote but I fear he'll win. What then after almost 50 years party membership?

Next week it's drinkkies with Mel.

So not only does he support Trump, but he does so for a facile reason. If he is the best the Conservatives can come up with they really might be toast.
    More to the point, when you go through the CVs of the new Lib Dem MPs, Lots of ex military, lots of really impressive academic, business, community and local credentials... these are the kinds of MPs who could easily have been conservative. Then you think well, it the Tories go down the Reform/Populist rabbit hole there is an actual conservative party to vote for- moderate decent, pragmatic, hard working, reasonable and sensible. Everything that the Tories used to claim to be.

At this point the Lib Dems only need to take 26 MPs in order to push the Tories into third place or 29 if you took the Tories and Reform together, and yes I know this is a mildly specious argument but under FPTP but there are 72 Lib Dem MPs and only 5 RefUK. However, Truss and now Jenrick saying they support Trump is absolutely lethal, totally lines them up with Farage in the Petin camp and could actually trigger a hard core of the Tories to defect since they completely loathe both Trump and Farage. Local Tories often get on well with local Lib Dems, and we could certainly see emergence of the Lib Dems as the centre right party that many Tories say they are or want to be (but are actually not and definitely would not be as allies of Trump).
    Most LDs neither want nor would accept being a centre right party, the social democratic wing of the party would defect en masse to Labour if it tried as effectively happened in 2015 when Clegg's centre right LDs in Cameron's coalition govt got just 8% of the vote
    It really takes a special kind of person to lecture someone who has been a member of the Liberals and Liberal Democrats for over 45 years, and who has been pretty active over much of that time, as a candidate, both Parliamentary and local, as an organiser and as a very regular conference attender about what the membership of the party is and what it is not.

I know my party and you, sir, do not.
    You don't, you only know the Liberal wing of your party not the Social Democratic wing clearly.

If Orange Book Liberalism was so popular it would not have got just 8% of the vote in 2015 would it? The only examples of Liberal parties being the main centre right party in western nations are in Australia (where they have effectively always held that position in coalition with the conservative Nationals), Japan, where the LDP has been dominant for decades and arguably the Netherlands which is a much more socially liberal nation by culture than the UK is.

If the LDs became a centre right party the social democrats who are heirs of those like Jenkins and Williams and Owen who defected from Labour in the 1980s ie those who make up the Democrats part of the LDs would defect en masse back to Labour which under Starmer would be closer to the old SDP than a centre right Orange Book Liberal party would be
    Much as I like you @hyufd, you really aren't right on this one and @Cicero is. We do know our party and you don't. There is no conflict within the LDs between Liberals and Social Democrats. Much of the time even we don't know which colleagues are which. I remember having this discussion at a LD party after the election where we were comparing opinions. I couldn't have told you before those discussions if other members were from one wing or the other, because we just don't have those wings even though some of us are clearly liberals and some of us are clearly social democrats.

Looking at the 2015 election result is daft. We didn't lose because we were Liberals and not Social Democrats. Nobody believes that. We lost because of the coalition and things like Tuition fees. If you asked any voters they couldn't have told you whether we were mainly Liberals or Social Democrats in 2015 and they couldn't now. Only anoraks like us know there is a difference.

And see my other post re being able to win more seats. Here is a bit of info for you. In Guildford in the build up to the election we knocked on 31,000 doors and sent out regular leaflets. During the election we knocked on 32,000 doors. That is nearly everyone twice. 13 leaflets or letters went out and several hundred posterboards went up during the election, although many of those letters were targeted so not to everyone.

There are plenty of Tory seats we could have done that in but didn't have the resources to do so. So we targeted ruthlessly. There are now the next batch of seats to go for and resources we can move from the last lot of targets we have won,

Now that may not happen. The Tories may recover and we may be defending ruthlessly and targeting nowhere. But if it stays the same we will be have many more Tory seats next time as well as some labour ones to go for.
    History is on my side. For example, in 1945 the Liberals got just 9% on a centrist or even centre right liberal platform and the Liberals never got over 10% of the vote until Grimond got 11% in 1964, before falling back to 8.5% in 1966. In Feb 1974 Thorpe's Liberals did admittedly peak at 19% (though that was partly a result of his being more charismatic than Heath and Wilson) before falling to 13% under Steel in 1979 after Thorpe's scandals emerged.

Only the social democrat wing of the Labour Party leaving to form the SDP under Roy Jenkins and then forming the Alliance with the Liberals at the 1983 general election got the combined Liberals and SDP over 20% on a centre left platform to 25% and then 22% under Owen in 1987.

The merged parties which formed the LDs then never ceased to get under 15% of the voted from 1992 to 2010, peaking at 22% in 2005 under Charles Kennedy on an even left of Blair's Labour platform never mind just left of the Tories and 23% in 2010 when Clegg pledged to scrap tuition fees before moving right and backing increasing them in government as you say.

After going into coalition with the Tories in 2010 however the LDs collapsed to just 8% in 2015 and although they have got back over 10% since by appealing to hardline Remainers who opposed Brexit they have still not got over 15% again.

If the LDs became a centre right party they would also lose most of the Labour tactical votes that helped win them southern seats from the Tories last month and also have no chance in Labour seats Kennedy won in 2005
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,516
    edited August 7
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Oh for goodness sake not this nonsense again. And combining the LD vote with the Green and Lab vote was even more (53%) so we won it then even if every Reform vote goes conservative. There you go, it's our seat then.

But we all know that is nonsense, but by your logic we win it. We just trundle in and squeeze that vote which we didn't have the resources to do this time. You seem to be arguing I'm right with that logic.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,446

DougSeal said:

Covid is history.

Covid is history, but the fear lives on. Apparently the latest scare is that H5N1 is already spreading widely between humans, as indicated by tests of wastewater, but this isn't being picked up because there's no testing of anyone who doesn't work directly with birds.

And somehow it still has a 60% fatality rate, despite there not being a trail of dead bodies as a result of this transmission.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240

Leon said:

Yawn.
    You think these people don't exixt? And you think they aren't attracted to "anti-racism" protests where there might be violence?

Fool
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314

You can spot the difference between those who are irrationally concerned about COVID in the outdoors and using a mask for other reasons, the latter are covered head to toe in black, hood up, etc...even when it is middle of summer.

Right-wing mob bad, left-wing mob good.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

glw said:

JohnO said:

Jenrick turned up for a very quickly arranged Chinese dinner last night. Fluent presentation but the usual hard-right shtick to entice the membership. Hey that worked so well in 1997-2005. I berated him for his open support for Trump (well, what a surprise) to which he replied that the GOP is our "sister party".

No chance of his getting my vote but I fear he'll win. What then after almost 50 years party membership?

So not only does he support Trump, but he does so for a facile reason. If he is the best the Conservatives can come up with they really might be toast.
    More to the point, when you go through the CVs of the new Lib Dem MPs, Lots of ex military, lots of really impressive academic, business, community and local credentials... these are the kinds of MPs who could easily have been conservative. Then you think well, it the Tories go down the Reform/Populist rabbit hole there is an actual conservative party to vote for- moderate decent, pragmatic, hard working, reasonable and sensible. Everything that the Tories used to claim to be.

At this point the Lib Dems only need to take 26 MPs in order to push the Tories into third place or 29 if you took the Tories and Reform together, and yes I know this is a mildly specious argument but under FPTP but there are 72 Lib Dem MPs and only 5 RefUK. However, Truss and now Jenrick saying they support Trump is absolutely lethal, totally lines them up with Farage in the Petin camp and could actually trigger a hard core of the Tories to defect since they completely loathe both Trump and Farage. Local Tories often get on well with local Lib Dems, and we could certainly see emergence of the Lib Dems as the centre right party that many Tories say they are or want to be (but are actually not and definitely would not be as allies of Trump).
    Most LDs neither want nor would accept being a centre right party, the social democratic wing of the party would defect en masse to Labour if it tried as effectively happened in 2015 when Clegg's centre right LDs in Cameron's coalition govt got just 8% of the vote
    It really takes a special kind of person to lecture someone who has been a member of the Liberals and Liberal Democrats for over 45 years, and who has been pretty active over much of that time, as a candidate, both Parliamentary and local, as an organiser and as a very regular conference attender about what the membership of the party is and what it is not.

You don't, you only know the Liberal wing of your party not the Social Democratic wing clearly.

If Orange Book Liberalism was so popular it would not have got just 8% of the vote in 2015 would it? The only examples of Liberal parties being the main centre right party in western nations are in Australia (where they have effectively always held that position in coalition with the conservative Nationals), Japan, where the LDP has been dominant for decades and arguably the Netherlands which is a much more socially liberal nation by culture than the UK is.

If the LDs became a centre right party the social democrats who are heirs of those like Jenkins and Williams and Owen who defected from Labour in the 1980s ie those who make up the Democrats part of the LDs would defect en masse back to Labour which under Starmer would be closer to the old SDP than a centre right Orange Book Liberal party would be
    Much as I like you @hyufd, you really aren't right on this one and @Cicero is. We do know our party and you don't. There is no conflict within the LDs between Liberals and Social Democrats. Much of the time even we don't know which colleagues are which. I remember having this discussion at a LD party after the election where we were comparing opinions. I couldn't have told you before those discussions if other members were from one wing or the other, because we just don't have those wings even though some of us are clearly liberals and some of us are clearly social democrats.

Looking at the 2015 election result is daft. We didn't lose because we were Liberals and not Social Democrats. Nobody believes that. We lost because of the coalition and things like Tuition fees. If you asked any voters they couldn't have told you whether we were mainly Liberals or Social Democrats in 2015 and they couldn't now. Only anoraks like us know there is a difference.

And see my other post re being able to win more seats. Here is a bit of info for you. In Guildford in the build up to the election we knocked on 31,000 doors and sent out regular leaflets. During the election we knocked on 32,000 doors. That is nearly everyone twice. 13 leaflets or letters went out and several hundred posterboards went up during the election, although many of those letters were targeted so not to everyone.

There are plenty of Tory seats we could have done that in but didn't have the resources to do so. So we targeted ruthlessly. There are now the next batch of seats to go for and resources we can move from the last lot of targets we have won,

Now that may not happen. The Tories may recover and we may be defending ruthlessly and targeting nowhere. But if it stays the same we will be have many more Tory seats next time as well as some labour ones to go for.
    History is on my side. For example, in 1945 the Liberals got just 9% on a centrist or even centre right liberal platform and the Liberals never got over 10% of the vote until Grimond got 11% in 1964, before falling back to 8.5% in 1966. In Feb 1974 Thorpe's Liberals did admittedly peak at 19% (though that was partly a result of his being more charismatic than Heath and Wilson) before falling to 13% under Steel in 1979 after Thorpe's scandals emerged.

Only the social democrat wing of the Labour Party leaving to form the SDP under Roy Jenkins and then forming the Alliance with the Liberals at the 1983 general election got the combined Liberals and SDP over 20% on a centre left platform to 25% and then 22% under Owen in 1987.

The merged parties which formed the LDs then never ceased to get under 15% of the voted from 1992 to 2010, peaking at 22% in 2005 under Charles Kennedy on an even left of Blair's Labour platform never mind just left of the Tories and 23% in 2010 when Clegg pledged to scrap tuition fees before moving right and backing increasing them in government as you say.

After going into coalition with the Tories in 2010 however the LDs collapsed to just 8% in 2015 and although they have got back over 10% since by appealing to hardline Remainers who opposed Brexit they have still not got over 15% again.

If the LDs became a centre right party they would also lose most of the Labour tactical votes that helped win them southern seats from the Tories last month and also have no chance in Labour seats Kennedy won in 2005
    There won't be a Tory party, and politics, like nature, abhors a vacuum. Plenty of ex Tories will never vote for Farage.
    Sandpit said:

I don’t see much violence from any “mobs” tonight. Maybe I’m just a dreamer…
    DougSeal said:

Sandpit said:

But @FF43 just told us a masked mob of Nazis was "attacking" a church in Liverpool!

DougSeal said:

Covid is history.

COVID-19 deaths in the UK in the week up to 19 July (most recent data) was 211, up 6.6%. Numbers have been rising since May, associated with the FLiRT variants, descended from Omicron.

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Covid is history.

Yeah, we have had a lot of staff off with it the last few weeks, and it hit the Olympics too.

It's not as nasty as it was, partly through mutation, partly through previous infection and partly vaccination.

Still a miserable thing to catch, and the vascular damage not trivial. It's really a respiratory spread vascular disease now.

https://www.heart.org/en/news/2024/01/16/how-covid-19-affects-your-heart-brain-and-other-organs
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Yawn.
    You think these people don't exixt? And you think they aren't attracted to "anti-racism" protests where there might be violence?

Fool
    Not sure about "a fair number" but they do exist. There's hard left who want a ruck as much as hard right. In the former case it feeds their fantasy that the proletarian revolution is finally upon us.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,516
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

glw said:

JohnO said:

When you go out canvassing @HYUFD and you come across LD voters try asking them if they are social democrats or liberals and see how many blank faces you get. Now try the same thing with Labour or Conservative voters are you will get a clear view of where they stand.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762
    Eabhal said:

Sandpit said:

On the whole, yes? There are tens of thousands of woke leftists out tonight and they aren't burning stuff down. In percentage terms, clear winners.
    Pfft bollocks I was in london a few years back where a left wing mob complained the day after the election that the conservative government just elected were legitimate I think 2010, there were missiles flying at the police
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

glw said:

JohnO said:

The Conservatives however have never polled lower than 30% in a General Election (we know they have in local elections and European parliamentary elections) until July 4th when they polled 24% and won 121 seats, their worst performance since the Reform Act of 1832 so applying historical parallels when we are in uncharted territory seems a little like hopecasting. The last time they polled anywhere near this (1997, 30.7% and 165 seats) they were out of Government for 13 years.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,446
    One thing the Ukrainian invasion of Kursk does is make a mockery of Western fears of Russian responses to escalation. Ukraine is occupying sovereign Russian territory, within the internationally-recognised borders, and Russia is dropping glide bombs on its own retreating soldiers.

I wonder, now there's a chance of Harris/Walz winning over Trump/Vance, whether they might provide more robust support to Ukraine than Biden has?
    "Far Right... far outnumbered"

Daily Mail website front page this evening.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yawn.

Fool
    Not sure about "a fair number" but they do exist. There's hard left who want a ruck as much as hard right. In the former case it feeds their fantasy that the proletarian revolution is finally upon us.
    There are people on left and right who are continually disappointed that the UK is not collapsing into a revolutionary/dystopian hellscape. Their desire for it to be true is palpable in their tedious screeches and justifications.

Doesn't mean there are always equal numbers on each of those sides of course.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,022
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Oh for goodness sake not this nonsense again. And combining the LD vote with the Green and Lab vote was even more (53%) so we won it then even if every Reform vote goes conservative. There you go, it's our seat then.

But we all know that is nonsense, but by your logic we win it. We just trundle in and squeeze that vote which we didn't have the resources to do this time. You seem to be arguing I'm right with that logic.
    I have already chastised @HYUFD for his monotonous repetition of his nonsense re Tory and Reform vote but he simply will not be told, but as I said earlier he is never wrong in his eyes whilst the rest of us know he is

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

How many more times

Stop combining the two

Mind you, hopeless comment by me as @HYUFD is incapable of being wrong
    "Let me put it this way, Mr. Big_G. The HYUFD series is the most reliable computer ever made. No HYUFD computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error."
    edited August 7
    Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Sandpit said:

On the whole, yes? There are tens of thousands of woke leftists out tonight and they aren't burning stuff down. In percentage terms, clear winners.
    Pfft bollocks I was in london a few years back where a left wing mob complained the day after the election that the conservative government just elected were legitimate I think 2010, there were missiles flying at the police
    2010? Come on, that's a bit desperate.

That the folk dancing through Walthamstow aren't getting tazed, hunted down by German Shepherds and bonked on the head is yet another example of "two-tier policing". /s

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yawn.

Fool
    It is, sadly but definitely, a fair number. I saw them on the pro-Palestine marches. Deeply sinister, and many of them veterans of BLM etc (where I also saw them)

A lot of them simply live off the adrenaline. They like a fight, They are football hooligans with a fake political varnish. They can justify their hooliganism with "fight the fash" and "bash the Zios". Some are more sophisticated, but still ultimately driven by the prospect of violence. And there is a larger fringe of simpatico types that will join in if the crowd mood is sufficient and they've had a line or a drink

• Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,037

You can spot the difference between those who are concerned about COVID and using a mask for other reasons, the later are covered head to toe in black, hood up, etc...even when it is middle of summer.

Yes, a surgical mask I'd accept for COVID. Baseball cap with hood up and a mask tells a bit of a different story.
    Public Order Act 1936:

An Act to prohibit the wearing of uniforms in connection with political objects...
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,159
    The scenes from Brighton are great. Four fascists surrounded by thousands of people who want to send a message that they aren't wanted there.

Sunder Katwala
    @sundersays
    ·
    11m
    It was an audacious "no no go areas for the far right" idea to have a Brighton protest tonight: these four protestors took part

https://x.com/sundersays/status/1821275051209191883
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,849

MaxPB said:

Fucks sake, another silver. It's not been our games this year.

Currently 12/49 medals are gold.

Compare with:

2020 22/64
    2016 27/67
    2012 29/65
    2008 19/51

The number of medals will be okay but the gold proportion is well down.

Whether that is luck or something more negative I don't know.

To increase medals then more are needed in swimming - 105 available in the pool of which only five were won.
    Clearly Britain does better under the Tories
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    Last tatter of academic respectability ripped from Matty.

https://x.com/jamesrbuk/status/1821217140139032602?s=61&t=LYVEHh2mqFy1oUJAdCfe-Q
    MaxPB said:

The scenes from Brighton are great. Four fascists surrounded by thousands of people who want to send a message that they aren't wanted there.

As Sunder hints at: what the hell made them think Brighton would be rich pickings for a nazi rally?

Favourite Mail comment so far: I find these massively supported counter marches a bit provocative. People have a right to protest without the intimidation of these counter marches. Just leave the police to keep the police.

Diddums
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    MaxPB said:

Four lions...
    Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Sandpit said:

I worked in Westminster and saw no such violence in 2010, 2015, 2017 or 2019 - but the main reason I know you’re talking bollocks is that the day after the 2010 election there was no Conservative Government appointed to protest. It took, from memory, about a week for the negotiations to form the coalition to conclude, and notoriously Brown clung on like a limpet in the hope that he could do a deal with the Lib Dems.

If you want to criticise left wing protests try the anti-globalisation protests or the tuition fee riots. Yes, they happen, but not tonight.

If you’re going to spout bullshit at least make it a bit believable.
    edited August 7

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yawn.

Fool
    Yeah, one of our nurses (now in her Sixties) was in a Trotskyite faction back in the day. It was great fun it seems, down the pub every weekend, a ruck with the NF and a knocking shop.

Talking politics with her is quite entertaining, she has no delusions about the revolution happening, but she does like to bait a few of my Tory colleagues.
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    Eabhal said:

Favourite Mail comment so far: I find these massively supported counter marches a bit provocative. People have a right to protest without the intimidation of these counter marches. Just leave the police to keep the police.

Diddums
    No, racists should be intimidated.
    Eabhal said:

Diddums
    Lol, so only fascists have a right to protest? Jog on daily mail commenters.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,962
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Sandpit said:

But @FF43 just told us a masked mob of Nazis was "attacking" a church in Liverpool!
    If they decide not to show up that's good obviously. The deterrence has worked, even though it shouldn't be necessary, and so hopefully one of the many horrible events of the past week won't be repeated this time.

https://x.com/jamesrbuk/status/1821217140139032602?s=61&t=LYVEHh2mqFy1oUJAdCfe-Q

Interesting. His obvious course now - as I have been saying for some time - is to go into politics, professionally

Big gamble. The Reform vote (at the moment) is probably 15% max, and winning a seat will be really hard. On the other hand there is a vast empty space which he could occupy. The Reform-minded intellectual who is an eloquent speaker

His life span within ultra-lefty academe was always that of a mayfly
  • StereodogStereodog Posts: 568
    edited August 7
    I hate to bring the subject up but could one of our resident AI experts help me out with how to solve a problem. I have a WhatsApp Group where three of us post scored from a popular online word game. I want to work out how many days each person has won but we've been playing over a year and there's lots of chatter in between. Is there an AI product which could extract and count up the scores we have posted? Preferably it could read the WhatsApp thread without me having to copy it out.

MaxPB said:

As Sunder hints at: what the hell made them think Brighton would be rich pickings for a nazi rally?
    Maybe they were after that massive "Mosque" the Prince Regent built 200 years ago?

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

How many more times

Stop combining the two

"Let me put it this way, Mr. Big_G. The HYUFD series is the most reliable computer ever made. No HYUFD computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error."
    You may be interested that my wife and I had a wonderful day out yesterday taking the TFW train from Llandudno to Blaenau Ffestiniog , crossing the platform and joining the 'quarryman' steam hauled narrow gauge railway which followed the track slate was taken down to Porthmadog for export worldwide, before returning on the quarryman to Blaenau and TFW to Llandudno

It was a lovely day and showcased the beauty of North Wales while slowly passing through

Eabhal said:

Diddums
    The answer is simple - organise a counter counter-march.
    Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

glw said:

JohnO said:

There won't be a Tory party, and politics, like nature, abhors a vacuum. Plenty of ex Tories will never vote for Farage.
    Why won't there be a Tory party? Not one leadership contender is suggesting merging with Reform.

However if that did happen Canada style then if the LDs became a centre right One Nation Tory party effectively obviously the social democratic wing of the LDs would in turn move to Labour
    Nunu5 said:

Eabhal said:

Diddums
    No, racists should be intimidated.
    Being vastly outnumbered can be intimidating, but that's what happens with taking a minority position.

I don't think being a racist is as minority a position as I would like, but it is minority.

This does assume of course that any counter-march remains peaceful itself.
    FF43 said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Sandpit said:

If they decide not to show up that's good obviously. The deterrence has worked, even though it shouldn't be necessary, and so hopefully one of the many horrible events of the past week won't be repeated this time.
    You literally said "a church is being attacked"
    Leon said:

Interesting. His obvious course now - as I have been saying for some time - is to go into politics, professionally

Big gamble. The Reform vote (at the moment) is probably 15% max, and winning a seat will be really hard. On the other hand there is a vast empty space which he could occupy. The Reform-minded intellectual who is an eloquent speaker

The University of Kent is, sadly as it’s a major employer in my home City, in deep financial shit (deeper than most) and that might well have influenced his decision to leave.

Ouch. He's no longer a professor and now just a Substack author.
    edited August 7

MaxPB said:

And Walthamstow, the list, at least to me, seems like it was put together by someone who doesn't actually know the country very well and just typed "immigration centres UK" into Google and typed it up. Anyone who knows anything about the country wouldn't have put Brighton, anywhere in London, Liverpool or other major cities on the list. I do think it was Russian trolls that started this "day of riot" bullshit on Telegram.
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

glw said:

JohnO said:

The Conservatives however have never polled lower than 30% in a General Election (we know they have in local elections and European parliamentary elections) until July 4th when they polled 24% and won 121 seats, their worst performance since the Reform Act of 1832 so applying historical parallels when we are in uncharted territory seems a little like hopecasting. The last time they polled anywhere near this (1997, 30.7% and 165 seats) they were out of Government for 13 years.
    24% was still double the 12% the LDs got.

In 1997 Labour under Blair got 43%, 10% more than the 33% Labour under Starmer got
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    kyf_100 said:

Nunu5 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

“100 far right protests”

lol. What a load of shite

The night is young. And it’s not much fun if you know the police are aware of it.
    This might of stopped it

https://x.com/novaramedia/status/1821255311216537805
    Interesting how it's become another "free free palestine" mob judging from that video. Not sure how comfortable I'd feel being visibly Jewish walking past that.

Or even being Jewish and showing up to support my local community and stand against far right nazis, only to find I'd walked into a bunch of "free free Palestine" numpties.

Plenty Jewish people want to free Palestine. And those that don't will be proven to be on the wrong side of history (and are also racist as they see Palestinians as lesser)
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

The University of Kent is, sadly as it’s a major employer in my home City, in deep financial shit (deeper than most) and that might well have influenced his decision to leave.
    I hope they all close. Sorry, but I do. Modern-day academe has nursed the Woke viper in its bosom, and academe is now beyond saving, even science has been compromised

This pains me. Britain is good at this stuff. But it must be done - and various modern pressures mean it will happen anyway within the next decade, whatever my own beliefs. A few universities will survive as expensive, ultra-posh finishing schools for the elite

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

He might find a place at the private university of Buckingham

Ouch. He's no longer a professor and now just a Substack author.
    Got high on the thrill of pleasing people on twitter a long time ago and prioritised that.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757
    Who could possibly guess ?

Trump and the RNC have no field offices. Also a cursory check through social media specifically Facebook the Trump ads are down to a trickle and in many places non-existent. The media should be asking the Trump family what they did with the money.
    https://x.com/Scaramucci/status/1821266037393813565
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

And Walthamstow, the list, at least to me, seems like it was put together by someone who doesn't actually know the country very well and just typed "immigration centres UK" into Google and typed it up. Anyone who knows anything about the country wouldn't have put Brighton, anywhere in London, Liverpool or other major cities on the list. I do think it was Russian trolls that started this "day of riot" bullshit on Telegram.
    As I told the site this morning
    Nigelb said:

Trump and the RNC have no field offices. Also a cursory check through social media specifically Facebook the Trump ads are down to a trickle and in many places non-existent. The media should be asking the Trump family what they did with the money.

Their constant hawking of tatty merchandise is just so skeevy as well.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    Looks like a great evening for peaceful protest - proof that the far-right minority are exactly that: a very small minority.

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

How many more times

Stop combining the two

You may be interested that my wife and I had a wonderful day out yesterday taking the TFW train from Llandudno to Blaenau Ffestiniog , crossing the platform and joining the 'quarryman' steam hauled narrow gauge railway which followed the track slate was taken down to Porthmadog for export worldwide, before returning on the quarryman to Blaenau and TFW to Llandudno

It was a lovely day and showcased the beauty of North Wales while slowly passing through

So good to hear you and your wife are 'out and about' - as I know you had some health issues earlier in the year.

Heartening to hear.
    Thank you and you are very kind

My health issues continue and I am having to use a walking stick on occasions but we are so grateful for the medical interventions and continuing care from my consultants

Kamala HQ
    @KamalaHQ
    ·
    1h
    Reporter: Why would people in Wisconsin want to have a beer with you?

Vance: Ha ha ha ha. Ahh. Well. I guess, I guess, they’d like, they’d want to have a beer with me because I do like to drink beer

https://x.com/KamalaHQ/status/1821260444054519986
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,689
    Nunu5 said:

kyf_100 said:

Nunu5 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

“100 far right protests”

The night is young. And it’s not much fun if you know the police are aware of it.
    This might of stopped it

Interesting how it's become another "free free palestine" mob judging from that video. Not sure how comfortable I'd feel being visibly Jewish walking past that.

Or even being Jewish and showing up to support my local community and stand against far right nazis, only to find I'd walked into a bunch of "free free Palestine" numpties.

Plenty Jewish people want to free Palestine. And those that don't will be proven to be on the wrong side of history (and are also racist as they see Palestinians as lesser)
    If you say so.

The Walthamstow protest against fascists is probably the nearest one to me (though still a fair distance) and on another day I might have been tempted to show up.

However, if I went there, expecting to protest against anti-muslim thugs, but found that all the people around me were shouting "free free Palestine", I would be deeply uncomfortable, totally unable to join in, and very frightened in case anyone looked at me, noticed I wasn't joining in, and chanted "he's one of them, get 'im." Unlikely of course, but you see my point. Jewish people should feel free to attend - of all things - a demonstration against Nazis - without it becoming an anti-Israel rally.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    Foxy said:

Good turnout in Brighton.

https://x.com/PhilipProudfoot/status/1821264775403466800?t=AUfUhuhJe9P7k_4npFTKbA&s=19

"Run from the drag queens, we saw you run from the drag queens..."
    Soho would give them a run for their money
  • HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

glw said:

JohnO said:

In 1997 Labour under Blair got 43%, 10% more than the 33% Labour under Starmer got
    Your problem with that is that it illustrates two things - the potential for Tory revival at the next election, and the potential for oblivion.

Your opponents winning big without actually doing that well comes with a huge, flashing warning sign.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    edited August 7
    Nigelb said:

Despite my instincts, Scaramucci has become a bit of a hero of mine. His The Rest is Politics US podcasts with Katy Kay are brilliant.

He's the kind of Republican the GOP should be rallying behind (they won't of course).
    kyf_100 said:

Nunu5 said:

kyf_100 said:

Nunu5 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

“100 far right protests”

This might of stopped it

If you say so.

The Walthamstow protest against fascists is probably the nearest one to me (though still a fair distance) and on another day I might have been tempted to show up.

However, if I went there, expecting to protest against anti-muslim thugs, but found that all the people around me were shouting "free free Palestine", I would be deeply uncomfortable, totally unable to join in, and very frightened in case anyone looked at me, noticed I wasn't joining in, and chanted "he's one of them, get 'im." Unlikely of course, but you see my point. Jewish people should feel free to attend - of all things - a demonstration against Nazis - without it becoming an anti-Israel rally.
    I posted ealier: one of the antifa organisations rallying people to be "anti-racist" in North London tonight is openly and virulently anti-Semitic. Quite horrible
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,962
    Leon said:

FF43 said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Sandpit said:

You literally said "a church is being attacked"
    Correct. It isn't being attacked. Which is good.
    edited August 7
    Nunu5 said:

kyf_100 said:

Nunu5 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

“100 far right protests”

This might of stopped it

This Jewish guy did turn out to protest the Fascists and show solidarity in Finchley. It was a bit uncomfortable at times it seems, but other sections of the crowd supportive.

https://x.com/FatSideburns/status/1821268810755948871?t=U1DUg1wHa4Oi3JdiNcDoHg&s=19

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

How many more times

Stop combining the two

So good to hear you and your wife are 'out and about' - as I know you had some health issues earlier in the year.

Heartening to hear.
    Thank you and you are very kind

My health issues continue and I am having to use a walking stick on occasions but we are so grateful for the medical interventions and continuing care from my consultants
    Mate, you're doing pretty well at 84 (is that right?) to be using a walking stick only on occasions!

Long may you thrive and your family likewise
    80 with my wife at 84 and yes we are very grateful for all our blessings

And thank you
    'Labour scraps previous government’s ‘British workers’ social housing allocation plan.
    The Labour government will not enact former prime minister Rishi Sunak’s plan to favour UK nationals when allocating social housing.'
    https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/news/labour-scraps-previous-governments-british-workers-social-housing-allocation-plan-87937
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    https://x.com/lmharpin/status/1821252037725811129

lee harpin
    @lmharpin
    Only the SWP could stage an “anti racism” demo where many Jewish participants, including myself, felt absolutely no sense of solidarity with those organising. Thankfully the far right haven’t showed up.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

glw said:

JohnO said:

Perhaps of more relevance, the Greens got 0.2% in 1997 - 6.4% now. Referendum got 2.6% in 1997 - Reform 14% now.

Conservative plus Labour 74% in 1997 - 57.4% in 2024.
This discussion has been closed.