Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Jenrick remains the favourite to succeed Sunak – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    kyf_100 said:

Tres said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Pretty impressive Go Fund Me:

https://gofund.me/ad6dc2f3

£47 000 raised in 12 hours to replace care worker Brendon's car burnt by arsonist yobs while he was on duty, with left over funds to support other care workers affected and repair other damage done by the far right.

It makes you proud to be British.

I hate to be a downer, but is this not what car insurance is for? And why it's mandatory that everyone has it?
    it's only mandatory for risks while you're driving it
    I always assumed even the basic cover, "third party, fire and theft" would cover you if, er, your car was set on fire.

However there is a whole article published yesterday about this not being the case - https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-13714039/Riot-damage-home-car-insurance-pay-out.html

"For example, major car insurer Admiral will not pay out for damage from rioting, as well as from other violence such as terrorism and war."

Bit of a shocker, really. But typical of insurance companies to worm their way out of paying for anything.
    Isn't that a thing going way back?

IIRC the police were reluctant to declare a "riot" in 2011 - and justified it by pointing out that insurance wouldn't pay out.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314
    DougSeal said:

What time do the riots start tonight?

Hopefully not until after the 400m final.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    The Mike Flowers Pops was a great 90s band.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    Obvious thing to say but I can't get over the similarities between these people and the casually dressed rsoles that congregate in Russian tv studios to enthusiastically justify what ever horrors are being committed in Ukraine.

Hanno Hauenstein
    @hahauenstein
    Schlesinger on Channel 12 on rape of Palestinian detainees suspected of terror: “It’s also first of all what they deserve (…) and secondly, maybe it will also serve as a deterrent (…) it’s a very worthy revenge - just a shame we don’t do it in an institutionalised manner.”

https://x.com/hahauenstein/status/1821175392327069930
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,962
    DougSeal said:

FF43 said:

Did I imagine a video of cops telling an armed mob to turn their weapons in at the mosque?

I can barely imagine a same tier church video

I'm barely imagining churches being attacked by the mob in the same way that mosques are.
    It has happened at some points in history, Spain in the 30s and the Jim Crow US South spring to mind, but not very recently, and not in this country since the 17th century.
    Turns out there's an attack happening on a church right now because it runs an asylum centre

https://x.com/JoshHalliday/status/1821247539531673935
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    “100 far right protests”

lol. What a load of shite
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    Sandpit said:

DougSeal said:

I really think we should organise a PB riot. Bit like the PB panics during COVID. But only if someone promises to help put away the folding chairs afterwards.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 6,637
    edited August 7
    DougSeal said:

FF43 said:

Did I imagine a video of cops telling an armed mob to turn their weapons in at the mosque?

I'm barely imagining churches being attacked by the mob in the same way that mosques are.
    It has happened at some points in history, Spain in the 30s and the Jim Crow US South spring to mind, but not very recently, and not in this country since the 17th century.
    Charleston, SC, 2015. Not a mob, just one man.
    Leon said:

“100 far right protests”

The night is young. And it’s not much fun if you know the police are aware of it.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    Sandpit said:

DougSeal said:

I wouldn't expect it to be quite that controversial.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455
    edited August 7
    DougSeal said:

FF43 said:

Er ... 1780? Gordon Riots. Eg

https://www.layersoflondon.org/map/records/roman-catholic-chapel-destroyed-in-the-gordon-riots (and Bath as well apparently)

Anti-RCism is not so distant as one might like, of course.

And, more recently, the Bishop's Palace at Bristol was burnt in the 1831 riots, though that wasn't necessarily a church per se (might have had a consecrated chapel)>
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    edited August 7
    Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

glw said:

JohnO said:

Jenrick turned up for a very quickly arranged Chinese dinner last night. Fluent presentation but the usual hard-right shtick to entice the membership. Hey that worked so well in 1997-2005. I berated him for his open support for Trump (well, what a surprise) to which he replied that the GOP is our "sister party".

No chance of his getting my vote but I fear he'll win. What then after almost 50 years party membership?

Next week it's drinkkies with Mel.

So not only does he support Trump, but he does so for a facile reason. If he is the best the Conservatives can come up with they really might be toast.
    More to the point, when you go through the CVs of the new Lib Dem MPs, Lots of ex military, lots of really impressive academic, business, community and local credentials... these are the kinds of MPs who could easily have been conservative. Then you think well, it the Tories go down the Reform/Populist rabbit hole there is an actual conservative party to vote for- moderate decent, pragmatic, hard working, reasonable and sensible. Everything that the Tories used to claim to be.

At this point the Lib Dems only need to take 26 MPs in order to push the Tories into third place or 29 if you took the Tories and Reform together, and yes I know this is a mildly specious argument but under FPTP but there are 72 Lib Dem MPs and only 5 RefUK. However, Truss and now Jenrick saying they support Trump is absolutely lethal, totally lines them up with Farage in the Petin camp and could actually trigger a hard core of the Tories to defect since they completely loathe both Trump and Farage. Local Tories often get on well with local Lib Dems, and we could certainly see emergence of the Lib Dems as the centre right party that many Tories say they are or want to be (but are actually not and definitely would not be as allies of Trump).
    Most LDs neither want nor would accept being a centre right party, the social democratic wing of the party would defect en masse to Labour if it tried as effectively happened in 2015 when Clegg's centre right LDs in Cameron's coalition govt got just 8% of the vote
    It really takes a special kind of person to lecture someone who has been a member of the Liberals and Liberal Democrats for over 45 years, and who has been pretty active over much of that time, as a candidate, both Parliamentary and local, as an organiser and as a very regular conference attender about what the membership of the party is and what it is not.

I know my party and you, sir, do not.
    You don't, you only know the Liberal wing of your party not the Social Democratic wing clearly.

If Orange Book Liberalism was so popular it would not have got just 8% of the vote in 2015 would it? The only examples of Liberal parties being the main centre right party in western nations are in Australia (where they have effectively always held that position in coalition with the conservative Nationals), Japan, where the LDP has been dominant for decades and arguably the Netherlands which is a much more socially liberal nation by culture than the UK is.

If the LDs became a centre right party the social democrats who are heirs of those like Jenkins and Williams and Owen who defected from Labour in the 1980s ie those who make up the Democrats part of the LDs would defect en masse back to Labour which under Starmer would be closer to the old SDP than a centre right Orange Book Liberal party would be
  • BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,695
    FF43 said:

Attacking mosques is disgraceful. The perpetrators should be properly punished

Even the hate preaching mosques shouldn't be attacked by mobs. They should be shut down by the law. I think that they've started doing that in Germany

I hope the cops and the CPS go as zealously after the mob that violently assaulted a guy smoking a fag outside a pub in some Northern city, even though the community elders came to apologise later
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762

Scott_xP said:

Oh

@christinafinn8

Taoiseach Simon Harris says the era of self regulation by social media companies is over

He’s prepared to meet Elon Musk and other social media company execs to discuss Irish government plans for financial sanctions and personal liabilities for failing to remove harmful content

https://x.com/christinafinn8/status/1821149335028990404

I wonder how the Irish people will feel if Meta and Twitter simply shut down their services in Ireland? I see a surge in VPN usage coming soon.
    The point I have been making...yes a government could instruct national isp's to block say twitter

The idea that twitter junkies won't go round that ban via vpn's is ridiculous. All it will do is show the government has no power
    Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

FF43 said:

https://www.layersoflondon.org/map/records/roman-catholic-chapel-destroyed-in-the-gordon-riots (and Bath as well apparently)

And, more recently, the Bishop's Palace at Bristol was burnt in the 1831 riots, though that wasn't necessarily a church per se (might have had a consecrated chapel)>
    True. 18th century would have been more accurate than 17th, but think 1831 is pushing it.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,845
    So far, so good ; and possibly combination of three or four things.

Starmer's experience with messaging and rapid processing , and sentencing , after the 2011 riots , seems to have scared them.

A lot of Russian bot or troll activity could have masked the smaller number of homegrown trouble-makers actually willing to do anything.

If any of the targets were genuine, the advance police presence or knowledge of anti-racist posters , too, may have put them off.

And lastly, the good old British weather , has put a helping hand in , by being damp and anticlimactic.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,516
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

The markets are right. Jenrick is favourite

Let’s face it, none of the candidates is Augustus Caesar, they all have grave flaws. Badenoch is flimsy, Patel is widely disliked, Tugendhat is Who?

This guy probably has the fewest flaws. He’s young, articulate, not posh - self made. He looks vaguely prime ministerial and he’s quite right wing without being Suella, voters may like that

Also, it will drive the Corbynite anti-Semites mad if both the PM and the LOTO have “Zio” wives. So it’s worth doing for that alone

Unfortunately he's also an unelectable careerist dud who's very obviously manoeuvring himself to gain the votes of the remaining hard-line factionalists in the PCP in order to get into the final two.

Chasing Farage is a mug's game. The threat from the LibDems hoovering up the remaining Home Counties seats (backbone of the Tory party since Lord Salisbury) is far more existential.
    No it isn't, the LDs have pretty much hit their ceiling in the Home Counties, taking almost all the Remain seats and some of the soft Leave seats there on 4th July. They are unlikely to get many if any more and in any case in some of those LD seats the Tory and Reform vote combined was bigger than the LD vote
    The LDs will be building up their support in seats they haven’t yet won, as we speak.
    From where? If they couldn't win Tory voters this time they are unlikely to win many more next time and they have already squeezed Labour tactical votes in their target seats as far as they can go
    We targeted ruthlessly. For instance Farnham and Bordon was not a top target even though it could have been. Supporters were coming from there to other targets like Guildford. If all goes well for the LDs and we don't need to target Guildford the same way as this time we will all be in Farnham and Bordon and if under the same circumstances as the last election it would fall. We nearly took it without working it. Think what we could do if we really went for it.

That will happen all over the country. I would predict that if the election was run with both the LDs and Tories on the same level of popularity as at the GE, but starting with the current seats we would take another 20 seats. At least 2 more in Surrey for a start.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,533
    HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

glw said:

JohnO said:

Jenrick turned up for a very quickly arranged Chinese dinner last night. Fluent presentation but the usual hard-right shtick to entice the membership. Hey that worked so well in 1997-2005. I berated him for his open support for Trump (well, what a surprise) to which he replied that the GOP is our "sister party".

No chance of his getting my vote but I fear he'll win. What then after almost 50 years party membership?

So not only does he support Trump, but he does so for a facile reason. If he is the best the Conservatives can come up with they really might be toast.
    More to the point, when you go through the CVs of the new Lib Dem MPs, Lots of ex military, lots of really impressive academic, business, community and local credentials... these are the kinds of MPs who could easily have been conservative. Then you think well, it the Tories go down the Reform/Populist rabbit hole there is an actual conservative party to vote for- moderate decent, pragmatic, hard working, reasonable and sensible. Everything that the Tories used to claim to be.

At this point the Lib Dems only need to take 26 MPs in order to push the Tories into third place or 29 if you took the Tories and Reform together, and yes I know this is a mildly specious argument but under FPTP but there are 72 Lib Dem MPs and only 5 RefUK. However, Truss and now Jenrick saying they support Trump is absolutely lethal, totally lines them up with Farage in the Petin camp and could actually trigger a hard core of the Tories to defect since they completely loathe both Trump and Farage. Local Tories often get on well with local Lib Dems, and we could certainly see emergence of the Lib Dems as the centre right party that many Tories say they are or want to be (but are actually not and definitely would not be as allies of Trump).
    Most LDs neither want nor would accept being a centre right party, the social democratic wing of the party would defect en masse to Labour if it tried as effectively happened in 2015 when Clegg's centre right LDs in Cameron's coalition govt got just 8% of the vote
    It really takes a special kind of person to lecture someone who has been a member of the Liberals and Liberal Democrats for over 45 years, and who has been pretty active over much of that time, as a candidate, both Parliamentary and local, as an organiser and as a very regular conference attender about what the membership of the party is and what it is not.

You don't, you only know the Liberal wing of your party not the Social Democratic wing clearly.

If Orange Book Liberalism was so popular it would not have got just 8% of the vote in 2015 would it? The only examples of Liberal parties being the main centre right party in western nations are in Australia (where they have effectively always held that position in coalition with the conservative Nationals), Japan, where the LDP has been dominant for decades and arguably the Netherlands which is a much more socially liberal nation by culture than the UK is.

If the LDs became a centre right party the social democrats who are heirs of those like Jenkins and Williams and Owen who defected from Labour in the 1980s ie those who make up the Democrats part of the LDs would defect en masse back to Labour which under Starmer would be closer to the old SDP than a centre right Orange Book Liberal party would be
    I think that low for the LDs was half losing faith with voters over tuition fees, and half people feeling that the Cameron Tory Party was a pretty good proxy for Orange Book Liberalism. The latter were to be sorely disappointed once the shackles of coalition were removed.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762
    algarkirk said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh

@christinafinn8

Taoiseach Simon Harris says the era of self regulation by social media companies is over

He’s prepared to meet Elon Musk and other social media company execs to discuss Irish government plans for financial sanctions and personal liabilities for failing to remove harmful content

https://x.com/christinafinn8/status/1821149335028990404

I wonder how the Irish people will feel if Meta and Twitter simply shut down their services in Ireland? I see a surge in VPN usage coming soon.
    If governments, including ours, shut down services that didn't voluntarily comply with national laws, norms and customs about libel, conspiracy, organising crime, abuse, harmful content, racial slurs etc then services would arise, funded by advertisers who would have confidence in them, which did so.

At the moment Gresham's law applies. Only government intervention can change that.
    Governments don't have the power to do this that they believe they do most will just find ways around it and the government will a) look even more stupid than normal and b) make a lot of people tell them to fuck off in the next election

In short never going to happen
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    Britain's closing early tonight because guys who like wearing Swastikas are up for targeting some black people. If you're sitting there wondering which side you're on you need to sit back and reflect a little bit.

https://x.com/DPJHodges/status/1821237065863897281
  • Tim_in_RuislipTim_in_Ruislip Posts: 401
    edited August 7
    (((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h
    If you're a police officer and you're facing disorder this evening, thank you. Go get 'em. We've got your backs.

--

Not sure the fighting talk is necessarily helpful, but the sentiment is correct.

Dan is quicker than most to identify the correct message in these situations, but I am still a little surprised how long it's taken people with influence, across the spectrum, to reach the position I suggested on here almost immediately after Southport, when it became apparent there were going to be protests;

"Respect the victims, Support the police, Go home"

In a world that moves so fast, people can be sooo slooow.
    edited August 7
    DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

FF43 said:

True. 18th century would have been more accurate than 17th, but think 1831 is pushing it.
    Quite, but on reflection add also the 1791 riots in Birmingham. Several dissenting churches went west. As, in another sense, did Priestley (eventually).

Not sure about Ireland, though - potentially right down to living memory?

They did burn down churches etc in the USA at that sort of time, too, but IANAE. A riot in Charlestown, Mass., disposed of a RC convent in 1834 on checking, which may or mau not qualify ...
    edited August 7
    FF43 said:

DougSeal said:

FF43 said:

Turns out there's an attack happening on a church right now because it runs an asylum centre

Absolutely no evidence of an "attack". Stop spreading fake news. Just says "masked youths"

Could very easily be anti-Semitic antifa
    Awesome PB from Amber Anning in the women’s 400m, to qualify for the final.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470

Britain's closing early tonight because guys who like wearing Swastikas are up for targeting some black people. If you're sitting there wondering which side you're on you need to sit back and reflect a little bit.

Are we the bad guys?

Leon said:

FF43 said:

DougSeal said:

FF43 said:

Absolutely no evidence of an "attack". Stop spreading fake news. Just says "masked youths"

Attacking a church? I think you’re a bit confused there…
  • (((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h
    If you're a police officer and you're facing disorder this evening, thank you. Go get 'em. We've got your backs.

--

Not sure the fighting talk is necessarily helpful, but the sentiment is correct.

Dan is quicker than most to identify the correct message in these situations, but I am still a little surprised how long it's taken people with influence, across the spectrum, to reach the position I suggested on here almost immediately after Southport, when it became apparent there were going to be protests;

Interestingly my wife says there's been quite a mood shift on TikTok with a lot of videos showing Keir Starmer saying that those engaging in violence will regret it . . . being spliced together with stories about how in 2011 the rioters faced heavy sentences when they were prosecuted by ... Keir Starmer.

Quite an interesting contrast with a lot of the talk going on here.
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

DougSeal said:

FF43 said:

Attacking a church? I think you’re a bit confused there…
    "Defending" it, dorkus
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,689
    edited August 7
    Carnyx said:

kyf_100 said:

Tres said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

£47 000 raised in 12 hours to replace care worker Brendon's car burnt by arsonist yobs while he was on duty, with left over funds to support other care workers affected and repair other damage done by the far right.

I hate to be a downer, but is this not what car insurance is for? And why it's mandatory that everyone has it?
    I always assumed even the basic cover, "third party, fire and theft" would cover you if, er, your car was set on fire.

However there is a whole article published yesterday about this not being the case - https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-13714039/Riot-damage-home-car-insurance-pay-out.html

"For example, major car insurer Admiral will not pay out for damage from rioting, as well as from other violence such as terrorism and war."

Bit of a shocker, really. But typical of insurance companies to worm their way out of paying for anything.
    Same if it gets hopelessly contaminated if someone plays noughts and crosses on the control board of the nearest nuke power station. Even more so if it is evaporated in the ground burst of a 1-MT warhead.

What's the point of premiums?
    Quite.

I once got an email from a specialist provider offering me a ridiculously good deal on watch insurance for a specific, old, expensive (but not particularly flashy) timepiece. Bit their hand off as it was 1/4 of what I was paying previously.

On closer inspection, the insurance didn't cover me if I left the house with it, or even if it was lying around the house but not in the safe...

I know, I know, always read the small print. But when you insure something for, say "third party, fire and theft" you assume that fire is covered, whatever that fire is caused by. It's not like most car fires start spontaneously, so presumably insurance that doesn't pay out on fires caused by malicious actors isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Edit: And yet we are forced by law to purchase it.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,845

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h

--

Interestingly my wife says there's been quite a mood shift on TikTok with a lot of videos showing Keir Starmer saying that those engaging in violence will regret it . . . being spliced together with stories about how in 2011 the rioters faced heavy sentences when they were prosecuted by ... Keir Starmer.

Quite. Earlier a posted a link of Starmer being accused of racism because of how quick his response to the 2011 was.

He seems to be making some impact with his particular experience and type of approach.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    Leon said:

FF43 said:

DougSeal said:

FF43 said:

Since when have you been a sane voice of reason, quelling dramatic voices? ;)
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003

FF43 said:

Attacking mosques is disgraceful. The perpetrators should be properly punished

Even the hate preaching mosques shouldn't be attacked by mobs. They should be shut down by the law. I think that they've started doing that in Germany

I hope the cops and the CPS go as zealously after the mob that violently assaulted a guy smoking a fag outside a pub in some Northern city, even though the community elders came to apologise later
    Fat chance of that
    Me, this morning

Leon Posts: 51,722
    9:58AM
    I’ve got a suspicion these planned “30 attacks” on lawyers etc won’t actually materialise and we will see basically nothing. Maybe a few kids. Its probably the coppers (understandably) jumping at ghosts and bots on Telegram, who are deliberately trying to spook them

Indeed I think the riots, for now, are largely done

Pray that I’m right!
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

“100 far right protests”

The night is young. And it’s not much fun if you know the police are aware of it.
    This might of stopped it

https://x.com/novaramedia/status/1821255311216537805
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h

--

So all this violent chaotic failure, what's the common denominator? Starmer.

Although last time around he didn't get done over by the World's most influential Businessman.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    Incoming oppo on Walz

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/business/international/2024/08/07/harris-vp-pick-walzs-long-history-with-china-may-prove-awkward/

“Walz got married on the fifth anniversary of the deadly 1989 Tiananmen Square military crackdown, with his wife Gwen telling a local newspaper “he wanted to have a date he’ll always remember.””
  • I should qualify my previous post re Canadian government warning Canadians not to travel to the UK, that their actual advise is 'visitors should exercise a high degree of caution in the country'

That advice has nothing to do with the riots and is due to the threat of terrorism.

That warning was there months ago: https://web.archive.org/web/20240515071009/https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/united-kingdom

A high degree of caution has been recommended for years in fact, it seems the high degree of caution was added in 2017 (when there was a spate of terrorist attacks) and hasn't been removed since except for Covid19: https://web.archive.org/web/20170615121319/https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/united-kingdom
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,159
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

The Telegraph is claiming there will be “100 far right protests” and “30 counter protests” tonight

This feels delusional to me. But then I’ve only just got home after 1 month in France. Maybe the country really is in this ferment?

I have a sense we are alarmed by phantoms

Yeah I think a lot of this is being whipped up by bots on social media and Russian trolls feeding misinformation to the media. I'd be shocked if there was more than a few scuffles tonight and hopefully whatever rioting happens is met with hard responses from the police, head cracking, kettling etc...
    Looks like some variation of this is right. The list as I saw it didn't make sense, I mean what kind of fool will try and riot in Walthamstow. Any fascist turning up there will get their head kicked in, they'd be outnumbered 20:1.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003

Are we the bad guys?

Every fcukwitted nutter putting their tuppence worth in, it is pathetic. all governments for last 30 years hav eignored the elephant in the room and now the chickens ar ecoming home to roost. Country i sfecked , too many people , too little infrastructure due to politician's being useless lazy stupid uncaring twats.
    Starmer talking absolute bullshit and pretending to be tough will be lobving being able to further their police state , get more surveillance etc through to suit all teh snowflakes and do gooders.Him and the rest of his champagne socialists are not affected by the state the country is in.
    What is need is good governance but we have no chance of it with the retreads running the show
  • kyf_100 said:

Carnyx said:

kyf_100 said:

Tres said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Same if it gets hopelessly contaminated if someone plays noughts and crosses on the control board of the nearest nuke power station. Even more so if it is evaporated in the ground burst of a 1-MT warhead.

Quite.

I once got an email from a specialist provider offering me a ridiculously good deal on watch insurance for a specific, old, expensive (but not particularly flashy) timepiece. Bit their hand off as it was 1/4 of what I was paying previously.

On closer inspection, the insurance didn't cover me if I left the house with it, or even if it was lying around the house but not in the safe...

I know, I know, always read the small print. But when you insure something for, say "third party, fire and theft" you assume that fire is covered, whatever that fire is caused by. It's not like most car fires start spontaneously, so presumably insurance that doesn't pay out on fires caused by malicious actors isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Edit: And yet we are forced by law to purchase it.
    I can't tell if you're being serious or not but there is no compulsion by law to have fire insurance on a vehicle.

If you have your vehicle SORN then no insurance is necessary.

The insurance is there for in case you hit a third party while using it, not malicious actors burning it.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757

Sandpit said:

DougSeal said:

I really think we should organise a PB riot. Bit like the PB panics during COVID. But only if someone promises to help put away the folding chairs afterwards.
    Who's bringing the booze ?
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196
    So, where are all the Tory leadership contenders on the riots?

Patel and Cleverly have been strongly opposed to the riots, with Patel criticising Farage. Jenrick has been on the more whataboutery wing of the party, saying the police have treated the current protestors more harshly than pro-Gaza protestors. Stride criticised him for that, so we can put him in the same camp as Patel and Cleverly. Badenoch had that interview for the Telegraph early on with a lot of legitimate-questions-ing, but I've not heard from her since. I've not seen anything from Tugendhat.

Is that a good summary? Any updates? Can anyone fill in the gaps?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,366
    edited August 7
    Another near miss for gold for Team GB in the 400m.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,159
    Fucks sake, another silver. It's not been our games this year.
  • FossFoss Posts: 894
    edited August 7
    kyf_100 said:

Carnyx said:

kyf_100 said:

Tres said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Quite.

Legally, you only need third party insurance. And you don't even need that if you're willing to deposit £500k with the government. That's gone.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,969
    Surely Tory MP's won't let this fool Jenrick get anywhere near the final two?

Things continue to look well placed for Kemi, IMO. #TeamKemi
    Nunu5 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

“100 far right protests”

This might of stopped it

The plod certainly went out of their way to advertise it. I wonder if there was any method to that? I’ve no idea but they’d be out of their minds to try anything in Walthamstow tonight.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,520
    We should all welcome the fact if there is no/limited trouble tonight. I really hope that is the end of it. If the weekend is quiet then perhaps it is done.
    edited August 7
    Oh, and other annoying silver. Hudson-Smith this time in the 400m, but it’s a European record for the Brit.
    edited August 7

Incoming oppo on Walz

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/business/international/2024/08/07/harris-vp-pick-walzs-long-history-with-china-may-prove-awkward/

“Walz got married on the fifth anniversary of the deadly 1989 Tiananmen Square military crackdown, with his wife Gwen telling a local newspaper “he wanted to have a date he’ll always remember.””

Nothingburger.

The guy has a sense of humour; the GOP idea that he's a 'commie' is obvious balls.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,904
    edited August 7
    Leon said:

Me, this morning

I’ve got a suspicion these planned “30 attacks” on lawyers etc won’t actually materialise and we will see basically nothing. Maybe a few kids. Its probably the coppers (understandably) jumping at ghosts and bots on Telegram, who are deliberately trying to spook them

Pray that I’m right!

Hmmm - I think they could pop up again at the weekend. The enormous counter-protests that have formed at some of the advertised rioting spots appear to be an effective deterrent this evening.

The photos from Walthamstow are quite something. And videos of rioters hiding behind the police in Brighton (what were they thinking) are utterly humiliating.

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if the police deliberately highlighted the locations for this reason.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    Off-topic:

"Marcus started this year not being able to run more than a few metres in a row. On September 7th he is going to run a marathon.

4 months ago he decided to push himself to run 1 mile everyday for a month to raise awareness and funds for mental health."

https://x.com/Thehullboy1/status/1821158034007044275

It doesn't have to be about the speed; it's about doing what you can. If you do that, you've already beaten most people.
    edited August 7
    Nigelb said:

Incoming oppo on Walz

Nothingburger.
    IT's also being misread. He's a politics lecturer. It's like a military historian getting married on 6 June - no worries forgetting the wedding anniversary.
    edited August 7
    HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

glw said:

JohnO said:

Much as I like you @hyufd, you really aren't right on this one and @Cicero is. We do know our party and you don't. There is no conflict within the LDs between Liberals and Social Democrats. Much of the time even we don't know which colleagues are which. I remember having this discussion at a LD party after the election where we were comparing opinions. I couldn't have told you before those discussions if other members were from one wing or the other, because we just don't have those wings even though some of us are clearly liberals and some of us are clearly social democrats.

Looking at the 2015 election result is daft. We didn't lose because we were Liberals and not Social Democrats. Nobody believes that. We lost because of the coalition and things like Tuition fees. If you asked any voters they couldn't have told you whether we were mainly Liberals or Social Democrats in 2015 and they couldn't now. Only anoraks like us know there is a difference.

And see my other post re being able to win more seats. Here is a bit of info for you. In Guildford in the build up to the election we knocked on 31,000 doors and sent out regular leaflets. During the election we knocked on 32,000 doors. That is nearly everyone twice. 13 leaflets or letters went out and several hundred posterboards went up during the election, although many of those letters were targeted so not to everyone.

There are plenty of Tory seats we could have done that in but didn't have the resources to do so. So we targeted ruthlessly. There are now the next batch of seats to go for and resources we can move from the last lot of targets we have won,

Now that may not happen. The Tories may recover and we may be defending ruthlessly and targeting nowhere. But if it stays the same we will be have many more Tory seats next time as well as some labour ones to go for.
  • StereodogStereodog Posts: 568
    Nigelb said:

Incoming oppo on Walz

Nothingburger.

The guy has a sense of humour; the GOP idea that he's a 'commie' is obvious balls.
    Yeah pretty weak stuff. I sometimes tell people I was born on the same day as the Chernobyl disaster if they ask my birthday.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761
    DougSeal said:

As soon as the insurance company managers have gone home.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,533
    DougSeal said:

No match for Combustible Edison:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combustible_Edison

Their 'Carnival of Souls' is still a regular listen of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STwDhzqMhDw

Anyway - fight!... I'll be the one in the chiffon and fabulous shoes.
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Incoming oppo on Walz

Nothingburger.
    IT's also being misread. He's a politics lecturer. It's like a military historian getting married on 6 June - no worries forgetting the wedding anniversary.
    Same reason I got married on Halloween.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,689
    Nunu5 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

“100 far right protests”

This might of stopped it

Interesting how it's become another "free free palestine" mob judging from that video. Not sure how comfortable I'd feel being visibly Jewish walking past that.

Or even being Jewish and showing up to support my local community and stand against far right nazis, only to find I'd walked into a bunch of "free free Palestine" numpties.

• Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,705
    Sandpit said:

Oh, and other annoying silver. Hudson-Smith this time in the 400m, but it’s a European record for the Brit.

The BBC commentator build up strikes again.
    My band of the 90s was 2 Unlimited.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676
    Nigelb said:

Incoming oppo on Walz

Nothingburger.

Is it humorous? People standing up for freedom got squashed. Could you explain the chucklesome quality?

Though it's quite possibly nothing.

The idiots might just have shot their bolt.
    Looks like way more anti-nazi rallies out there than any nazi activity so far.

Fingers crossed...
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Me, this morning

Pray that I’m right!

Hmmm - I think they could pop up again at the weekend. The enormous counter-protests that have formed at some of the advertised rioting spots appear to be an effective deterrent this evening.

The photos from Walthamstow are quite something. And videos of rioters hiding behind the police in Brighton (what were they thinking) are utterly humiliating.

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if the police deliberately highlighted the locations for this reason.
    I was thinking the same thing myself, or to telegraph (pun intended) to the rioters that they knew exactly where they were going. If you’re going to do something you know is illegal then you’d be mighty dissuaded knowing the police knew what you were going to do it and when.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Incoming oppo on Walz

Nothingburger.
    Indeed.

Who could forget the Battle of Stoney Creek and all the implications that had for the world?
    ohnotnow said:

DougSeal said:

No match for Combustible Edison:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combustible_Edison

Their 'Carnival of Souls' is still a regular listen of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STwDhzqMhDw

Anyway - fight!... I'll be the one in the chiffon and fabulous shoes.
    You’re right! I surrender!
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196
    Stereodog said:

Nigelb said:

Incoming oppo on Walz

Nothingburger.

Yeah pretty weak stuff. I sometimes tell people I was born on the same day as the Chernobyl disaster if they ask my birthday.
    Were you perchance born with any superpowers?

We should all welcome the fact if there is no/limited trouble tonight. I really hope that is the end of it. If the weekend is quiet then perhaps it is done.

Supposed to be quite hot and muggy in the SE over the weekend. That might play a part.
    Liam Thorp
    @LiamThorpECHO
    ·
    25m
    Absolutely enormous numbers out in Liverpool to defend an asylum charity from the threat of far-right violence
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Incoming oppo on Walz

Nothingburger.
    Indeed.

Who could forget the Battle of Stoney Creek and all the implications that had for the world?
    Imagine the effect on the Dieppe Landings, for one thing.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    edited August 7
    Hilarious scenes by Brighton station. A handful of EDL types turned up hoping to cause mayhem, outnumbered by many hundreds of people politely telling them that they're not welcome in the city. Carnival atmosphere. They got nowhere near their target, and seem to have gone now. One arrest. Very effective policing.
    edited August 7
    How many officers are getting overtime for the "expected 100 Fascist coup attempts" tonight?

6000?

The absurd government should just give me £2,000 a minute to make predictions, and I'd still save them millions

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Incoming oppo on Walz

Nothingburger.
    Same reason I got married on Halloween.
    I got married 2 days before my 40th birthday. I was given an ultimatum by my wife-to-be, to get married before I was 40. I cut it a bit fine.
    Leon said:

How many officers are getting overtime for the "expected 100 Fascist coup attempts" tonight?

6000?

The absurd government should just give me £2,000 a minute to make predictions, and I'd still save them millions

Which would then be expended, and more, in riot damage compensation ...
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437
    edited August 7
    Sandpit said:

Not enough bicarb again.

My father was prescribed it for lack of go go a couple of years ago and at the time it seemed a bit odd. Maybe not now...
    edited August 7

Hilarious scenes by Brighton station. A handful of EDL types turned up hoping to cause mayhem, outnumbered by many hundreds of people politely telling them that they're not welcome in the city. They got nowhere near their target, and seem to have gone now. One arrest. Very effective policing.

Heard they were confronted by a phalanx of drag queens at Brighton station.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    MaxPB said:

Fucks sake, another silver. It's not been our games this year.

This is really really annoying, from a statistical perspective.

If he’d won gold, GB would have been on identical medals to France: 13G, 16S, 20B.

But if we win a gold tomorrow and France get a silver there’s still hope.
    Leon said:

6000?

Let's hope there is a Russian code word on Telegram that means 'tomorrow night really lads, not tonight'.
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Incoming oppo on Walz

Nothingburger.
    Indeed.

Now I'm reminded about the old Absolutely sketch about Stoneybridge council aiming for an Olympic bid :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q00N6N8yDRk

I'd like to make it clear I in no way, ever, at all, picture this when thinking about the SNP.
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Me, this morning

Pray that I’m right!

No, I'm just 20 IQ points higher than anyone on here and OBVS even higher than anyone in the police or the government

I gave my reasoning for making that prediction at the time, at Orly Airport, this morning. Riots have a natural life cycle, this riot-sequence was clearly near its natural end, to anyone with a mahoohoohoohoohoosive brain
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761

Hopefully, potential rioters have seen some of their fellows convicted and jailed, and decided they don’t want it to happen to them.
  • ManOfGwentManOfGwent Posts: 52

Hilarious scenes by Brighton station. A handful of EDL types turned up hoping to cause mayhem, outnumbered by many hundreds of people politely telling them that they're not welcome in the city. They got nowhere near their target, and seem to have gone now. One arrest. Very effective policing.

Perhaps a naive question, but why are so many of the anti-racist protesters wearing face coverings? Hoping for a scuffle, or afraid of tear gas and the like?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    edited August 7

Incoming oppo on Walz

It's because he was in China at the time. He has a long history of supporting freedom for Hong Kong, Tibet, Taiwan and China itself, the very opposite of a CCP stooge.

https://x.com/williamnee/status/1820958930731700408?t=uErRuDLs06xABstcOMlu1w&s=19
    Leon said:

6000?

Though your predictions of invasions by a) aliens, b) the woke, c) non-pretty ethnics, would probably about make it a net deficit.
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 1,091
    kyf_100 said:

Carnyx said:

kyf_100 said:

Tres said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Quite.

The recent story I thought was particularly bad was that the insurers won the legal case against some university regarding damage caused when the army did a controlled explosion of a discovered WW2 bomb. The reasoning was that it was the result of war and so covered by that exclusion cause. Personally I think this is wrong -- those clauses are there AIUI to avoid insurers getting wiped out because suddenly all their policyholders are claiming at once because of the Blitz or some similarly widespread cause of claims. They shouldn't be allowed to stretch them to cover genuinely random one off events like "WW2 bomb turns up in the back garden". I think riots on the scale we're seeing are also something insurers should be forced to shoulder the damage for -- spread the risk among all their policyholders rather than screwing over the unlucky few.

Heard they were confronted by a phalanx of drag queens at Brighton station.
    Wouldn't be surprised. I didn't see the drag queens, but I did see an impromptu band playing jolly songs to welcome them.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907
    edited August 7
    Oh ffs ! Can’t just one USA sprinter have an off day !
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

6000?

Though your predictions of invasions by a) aliens, b) the woke, c) non-pretty ethnics, would probably about make it a net deficit.
    Non-pretty ethnics??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbaGry1F_VU
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Me, this morning

Pray that I’m right!

No, I'm just 20 IQ points higher than anyone on here and OBVS even higher than anyone in the police or the government

I gave my reasoning for making that prediction at the time, at Orly Airport, this morning. Riots have a natural life cycle, this riot-sequence was clearly near its natural end, to anyone with a mahoohoohoohoohoosive brain
    How do you think it works in government? They sit there and conclude, like you, that there's likely going to be piss all tonight from the nazi farts and then take that risk by standing down all the special riot squaddies ?

No way they do that.

Perhaps a naive question, but why are so many of the anti-racist protesters wearing face coverings? Hoping for a scuffle, or afraid of tear gas and the like?
    Covid fears still lingering in Brighton. :)
    Leon said:

6000?

They've heard of you and don't want to risk the Leondamus effect.
    edited August 7
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

6000?

I made a pretty bold prediction this morning, standing in the Vueling Q for Heathrow at Orly. I simply extracted the information available, crunched it like GPTeightyfuckingbillion, then extrapolated the outcome, with my insane knowkedge of sociopsychology, and realised: the riots are over. They are done. Doesn't even need rain

I AM GENIUS
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,022
    I am not the least surprised at the non turnout of the anti immigrant protestors tonight, following the saturation coverage of the police preparations and indeed I found it hard to understand why during mid week

The country needs to wait and see what happens this weekend before breathing a sigh of relief

However, if we are entering calmer waters it should be recognised that there are real issues over immigration and frank discussions are needed by all politicians on the best way to deal with the issues and heal the terrible divisions

Hoping for a scuffle. A fair number will be extremely unpleasant antifa antiSemites, as we have seen earlier
    Oh dear, what a shame.

Wow. As they say, big if true. But it does appear as though Yevgeny Poddubny, one of the most prominent of Russia’s war propagandists, has been killed in a Ukrainian FPV drone strike. He was present in all of the Kremlin’s wars of the past decade+, including the Donbas in 2014.
    https://x.com/ChristopherJM/status/1821260779376799758
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,904

No ULEZ in Brighton
This discussion has been closed.