Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Ayrshire hotelier is running scared – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,021
    Simply brilliant from Femke Bol there.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,518

AP (via Seattle Times) - Trump says he’ll skip an ABC debate with Harris in September and wants them to face off on Fox News

Donald Trump says he is pulling out of a scheduled September debate with Vice President Kamala Harris on ABC and wants them to face off on Fox News, making it increasingly unlikely that the candidates will confront each other on stage before the November election.

In a series of Truth Social posts late Friday, the Republican nominee and former president said his agreement to a Sept. 10 debate on ABC “has been terminated” because he will no longer face Democratic President Joe Biden, who ended his campaign last month after a disastrous performance in their first debate.

Trump now says he will appear on Fox News on Sept. 4 in Pennsylvania with rules that he called “similar” to his debate with Biden, but with a full audience instead of a mostly empty studio. Trump said that if Harris, the likely Democratic nominee, does not agree to the new network and date, he will do a “major Town Hall” with Fox News.

Michael Tyler, a Harris spokesperson, said Trump “is running scared and trying to back out of the debate he already agreed to and running straight to Fox News to bail him out.”

It was not immediately clear whether ABC would turn its Sept. 10 event into a Harris town hall in Trump’s absence. Tyler said Harris is committed to the time slot and would appear “one way or the other to take the opportunity to speak to a prime time national audience.”

SSI - See that self-proclaimed Hero of Butler is yet again burnishing his credentials as a bombastic bully coward.

NOT a good look and NOT a smart strategy . . . surprise! surprise!

In the UK, the tradition is to have Trump represented at the ABC debate by a tub of lard.
    But not rancid lard usually.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,652

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Interviewing a runner who came fifth in a heat on the BBC

When will we get it through our heads. A gallant loser is a loser.

Why is the headline “Dina Asher-Smith fails to quality for the final”, rather than “British athlete Daryll Neita makes the final”?
    BBC athletics have a really soft spot for her. It was the same last Olympics.
    Annoys me. Let’s celebrate the successes, that’s the whole point of the Olympics.
    You think 5th in an Olympic semi-final isn't success?

What was your best result?
    Well, qualified for a school semi and then came last

(no sniggering at the back, please)
    While all gentlemen come last, we were asking about your athletic prowess.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,370

Is there a single commercial out there that Sean Bean doesn't narrate, now?

Weirdly the only one he doesn’t narrate is for Heinz Beans.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273
    Why does only the 100 and 400 have relays?
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,234

I've always assumed that its by people trying to sound like Sean Bean.

I've always assumed that its by people trying to sound like Sean Bean.
    Nobody could be Sharpe enough to imitate Sean Bean.
  • dixiedean said:

And the triathlon, oddly (although it is a fun event).
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,385
    Netherlands just 0.02 secs from a new world record in the 400m relay.
  • tlg86 said:

Simply brilliant from Femke Bol there.

It is quite amusing to see the Americans done over in this sort of thing. Shades of Kriss Akabusi, Tokyo 1991.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,395
    Scenes from Hull seem by far the worst unrest.
  • Andy_JS said:

Netherlands just 0.02 secs from a new world record in the 400m relay.

The mixed relay has only been run a handful of times and the world record was set by the US in the previous round!

I mean, it was a great performance by Bol, but not because it was nearly (although not actually) a world record.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,526

dixiedean said:

And the triathlon, oddly (although it is a fun event).
    Sprint distance triathalon relay is fun. But I still think a mixed Iron Man relay, taking up much of an Olympic week would be the ultimate, taking in the greatest hits of an entire host country.

And yet, Sky News (don't know about BBC) aren't there. They are in Liverpool and Bristol, presumably because they quite like those cities and Hull is a pain to get to.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,291
    edited August 3
    100m athlete out of semi final because she went to the "wrong" gate and was not let in.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2024/08/03/shelly-ann-fraser-pryces-stunning-scratch-100/74659697007/

(She is not staying in the village, so cannot go on the team bus, but they let her taxi through every other day, she says).
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    tlg86 said:

And yet, Sky News (don't know about BBC) aren't there. They are in Liverpool and Bristol, presumably because they quite like those cities and Hull is a pain to get to.
    They probably think it's a normal day for Hull......
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Good afternoon / evening from tranquil Manhattan.

Haven’t there always been sporadic outbursts from young white yobs in Britain? Or do we think this daily kick-off is something new, perhaps super-charged by social media?

This is on a different scale.
    So far it doesn't seem to have on 2010 riots level, for a couple of days that got really out of hand and authorities had totally lost control, although mainly in London, there were other major cities that were only just hanging on at times.

We could do with some classic British summertime rain before it escalates further.
    But it’s much much worse than the plasma screen riots, in one way, because this is rioting BETWEEN two sides, with major racial/sectarian elements

The plasma screen riots simply needed the coppers to get a grip - and they did, It was mindless stupidity and - belatedly - it was crushed, Sadly this is of a different level of seriousness as it has such potential for escalation, and now a Rubicon has been crossed

The 2010 riots felt surreal; this feels darkly ominous
    2011 riots. Get your years right!
    Apols., I took my cue from the prior comment

I’m sure you are right

I may not remember the exact year but I remember the experience. Truly hallucinatory. I recall using social media to see how close the riots were getting to my flat on the wild Primrose Hill borders. At one point they came up Parkway and I thought, whoah. This is it, defend my home

But I had no tools so I stood on my balcony armed with… a bottle of Gran Reserva Rioja. What was I gonna do with it? Calm the rioters down with its notes of elegant leather and dark chocolate?

I actually saw a rioter - just one - like the crest of wave - he reached the top of Parkway, glanced up at me: this mad dude with a wine bottle on a balcony. He shrugged, and went back down the street. And that was it
    "8th August — Camden Town: Minor overnight disturbances broke out in the area, quelled by police.[29]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_2011_England_riots#Monday,_8_August
    edited August 3
    I've 'ad a nice pot noodle
    But I've never 'ad a poodle
    And I've never met a nice South African.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cn38ppr4zj0o

(Actually, I've met several nice South Africans. But there are some really unpleasant specimens on display in that story. Like these twats pretending the Southport stabbed isn't British.)
    carnforth said:

100m athlete out of semi final because she went to the "wrong" gate and was not let in.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2024/08/03/shelly-ann-fraser-pryces-stunning-scratch-100/74659697007/

(She is not staying in the village, so cannot go on the team bus, but they let her taxi through every other day, she says).

This could be a huge scandal.
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,040
    tlg86 said:

According to BBC...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ce4qq5pejvyo

the British Chess Championships are also taking place in Hull and have been locked down as a safety precaution.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,847
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

EPG said:

moonshine said:

I’ve been caught in a proper civil disturbance / pre-revolutionary riot before. Bolivia 2002. That was wild. Police on motor bikes charging at the crowd while firing semi automatic weapons into the air. Ripped my trousers clambering over a fence as the crowd pulsed. Got away quite lightly I suppose, not all protests in Bolivia in that era ended so cleanly.

Anyway this isn’t that. There’s some angry people that feel left behind by our economy and democracy. And some av-eet boys livening up an otherwise boring summer. And some wronguns of various stripes. And a new government that hasn’t yet come to terms with the hard choices that power brings.

That government would however be foolish to overlook the undercurrent among the wwc, who seem to me to be throughly and justifiably fed up. If they’re not careful, the eventual reverse take over by Reform won’t be of the Conservative Party but Labour.

What does this phenomenon have to do with Labour, exactly? The only thing they can change rapidly is the policing policy. The protesters won't be assuaged by policies to reject non-white people in the future. They want rid of the ones they see today.
    Honestly this is the sort of attitude that has got sections of society so angry. We don’t have enough houses or infrastructure and our productivity (and hence wealth creation) is shit, in large part because successive govts do nothing but throw cheap imported labour at the problem. There is also an undeniable dilution of traditional British values that is harming social cohesion. You can choose to ignore it if you want but it’s an European wide phenomenon. All you seem to want to do is make it about race, that’s as bad as the thugs out tonight and punching anyone that doesn’t look like them.

The phenomenon is as much to with Labour as the other three main Westminster parties, who have all adopted a similar policy stance since circa the millennium. It’s especially to do with Labour because they are now in the hot seat and the problems I describe are being felt by their voter base more than the average. Blair warned about this a few weeks ago, that if Starmer does not get a grip of the numbers then his flank is vulnerable to Reform. And his antenna is sharper than yours.
    As we discussed recently, Germany has had higher immigration over the last three years, and has better infrastructure, housing, and productivity.

Some of these have been the results of the post-Thatcherite consensus that carried through to New Labour, and that Starmer will need to partially break with at some point to reverse. This isn't to say that there aren't issues to deal with from time to time, but together with the Netherlands we've still made a better success of a multiracial society than the the vast majority of Europe, thanks largely to that very long liberal tradition.
    For liberalism to work, it requires that the principles of liberalism are upheld across society. You can’t have a growing percentage of society with values completely counter to liberalism and expect the consensus to hold.
    Actually I don't totally disagree with this, although I would say there's a range of views in every community.

On that area I think we could actually embark on something useful, but less heavy-handed than the French in these areas, in emphasising the liberal roots in our society to everyone, as part of their education. This would also be an interesting challenge for both the Modern nationalist/populist right and the Modern Left to digest, emphasising neither imperial greatness and supposed supremacy, nor a concept solely of shame, exploitation and slavery.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,975

tlg86 said:

According to BBC...

the British Chess Championships are also taking place in Hull and have been locked down as a safety precaution.
    I bet that's the first time "chess" and "locked down as a safety precaution" have gone together in a sentence.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,443

Leon said:

Tres said:

Leon said:

It appears there has been an incident at the protest in Stoke.

Appears that two white youths have been stabbed and allegedly others attacked with axes and hammers.

If you want to know more see Twix for a less cautious summary.
    wtf?

Remember when I was derided for predicting civil disorder and maybe even race war?

We are going to a very very very dark place. We are right on the abyss. I hope this news report is completely wrong
    So not surprised that the two of you are creaming yourselves over fake news on social media. Sad.
    Sadly, it’s not fake. Not the white thugs beating up the black guy and not the Muslim thugs stabbing the white guys

it’s all too real
    It appears that the severe head injuries inflicted on the two gentlemen (of which there is primae facie video evidence) were inflicted with weapons other than insertion of knives.

So not fake news other than in the technicality sense.

Which is why was cautious and said that it *appears* that they had been stabbed rather than saying they had been as the twitter reports accompanying the videos.

I also refrained from speculating as to who the perpetrators were.
    Perhaps both of you should just shut the fuck up until we know more of what is going on, instead of spreading rumours and tittle-tattle that may well be wrong, yet might have drastic effects if believed?
    Drastic Effects, on PB?

This isn't Mumsnet or Twatter.

However when I *responded* to a poster (not Leon), reporting an incident in Stoke, I exercised due caution and caveated my words eg "appears", omitted any details of the alleged perpetrators and omitted any link to any external sources e.g. tweets.

If PB didn't discuss any current events until all the facts are known sometime later it would be rather tedious.
    Oh and I also posted an eyewitness report from London Bridge station warning of a large police presence and large numbers of idiots chanting "we are millwall, no one likes us, we dont care" heading towards Borough and warning to avoid the area.
    Probably off to buy some cheese from the market. You can get some very nice French ones I believe.
    Sadly the prices are mad there, now.
  • Chalk another one up for the Commonwealth.
    GIN1138 said:

tlg86 said:

According to BBC...

I bet that's the first time "chess" and "locked down as a safety precaution" have gone together in a sentence.
    Although squeaky bums have been known....beep beep beeeeeep....Queen to C4.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,526
    GIN1138 said:

tlg86 said:

According to BBC...

Chess. I mean really they should have chess in the Olympics too. And the arras!
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,118

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Interviewing a runner who came fifth in a heat on the BBC

When will we get it through our heads. A gallant loser is a loser.

Why is the headline “Dina Asher-Smith fails to quality for the final”, rather than “British athlete Daryll Neita makes the final”?
    BBC athletics have a really soft spot for her. It was the same last Olympics.
    Dina Asher-Smith could have been one of the greats but for ill-timed injuries.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,546
    GIN1138 said:

tlg86 said:

According to BBC...

Possibly last used when Garry Kasparov offered to play in his homeland.
    edited August 3

tlg86 said:

According to BBC...

Was Hull FC V St Helens this afternoon, too.

Edit. The appropriately named Brad Fash was sinbinned for the hosts.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796

tlg86 said:

According to BBC...

Lets hope the chess players didn't inconvenience the racists too much
    Sandpit said:

Alfred from St. Lucia gets it, in a disappointingly slow time (but a PB and NR for her!).

British girl Neita 4th. Awesome effort.

St Lucia's first ever Olympic medal, apparently.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,382
    10.71, more than two tenths away from the world record, one of the dodgiest records ever ratified. I was really hoping that one of them would have finally consigned this dodgy record to history after 36 years, but alas, not to be.
  • Leon said:

Tres said:

Leon said:

It appears there has been an incident at the protest in Stoke.

Appears that two white youths have been stabbed and allegedly others attacked with axes and hammers.

If you want to know more see Twix for a less cautious summary.
    wtf?

Remember when I was derided for predicting civil disorder and maybe even race war?

We are going to a very very very dark place. We are right on the abyss. I hope this news report is completely wrong
    So not surprised that the two of you are creaming yourselves over fake news on social media. Sad.
    Sadly, it’s not fake. Not the white thugs beating up the black guy and not the Muslim thugs stabbing the white guys

it’s all too real
    It appears that the severe head injuries inflicted on the two gentlemen (of which there is primae facie video evidence) were inflicted with weapons other than insertion of knives.

So not fake news other than in the technicality sense.

Which is why was cautious and said that it *appears* that they had been stabbed rather than saying they had been as the twitter reports accompanying the videos.

I also refrained from speculating as to who the perpetrators were.
    Perhaps both of you should just shut the fuck up until we know more of what is going on, instead of spreading rumours and tittle-tattle that may well be wrong, yet might have drastic effects if believed?
    Drastic Effects, on PB?

This isn't Mumsnet or Twatter.

However when I *responded* to a poster (not Leon), reporting an incident in Stoke, I exercised due caution and caveated my words eg "appears", omitted any details of the alleged perpetrators and omitted any link to any external sources e.g. tweets.

If PB didn't discuss any current events until all the facts are known sometime later it would be rather tedious.
    Oh and I also posted an eyewitness report from London Bridge station warning of a large police presence and large numbers of idiots chanting "we are millwall, no one likes us, we dont care" heading towards Borough and warning to avoid the area.
    Probably off to buy some cheese from the market. You can get some very nice French ones I believe.
    Sadly the prices are mad there, now.
    As were the crowds. It actually felt a bit dangerous (risk of crush wise) and the security guards were quite agitated and trying to move people on, so we gave up and went elsewhere for lunch.

Ironically the Lebanese restaurant murals and Beirut beer harked back to what in memory was a beatiful peaceful country wrecked by sectarianism.
    Sandpit said:

10.71, more than two tenths away from the world record, one of the dodgiest records ever ratified. I was really hoping that one of them would have finally consigned this dodgy record to history after 36 years, but alas, not to be.

Are you suggesting Flo Jo might have been taking more than baking soda....
  • EScrymgeourEScrymgeour Posts: 137
    dixiedean said:

Javelin and Hammer relays would spice things up.

Sandpit said:

Alfred from St. Lucia gets it, in a disappointingly slow time (but a PB and NR for her!).

British girl Neita 4th. Awesome effort.

St Lucia's first ever Olympic medal, apparently.
    Oh wow, that’s awesome. She owned that race right from the gun, the Americans were nowhere despite all the talk of records.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,113
    tlg86 said:

Direct trains from London!

Sandpit said:

She may have been taking more than baking soda, it might have been rather a windy day, and hell if they went back now and measured the track it’d probably be 99m long.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

Only the ones that Diana Morgan (Philomena Cunk) narrates.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,906
    Has anyone eaten at Tharavadu (Keralan) in Leeds?

What did you think?
    MattW said:

What did you think?

Never been, but Mum probably makes far superior food :lol:
    Sandpit said:

The dodgiest world record is probably the women's 800 metres which has stood since 1983.
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

She may have been taking more than baking soda, it might have been rather a windy day, and hell if they went back now and measured the track it’d probably be 99m long.
    Wiki says:

"There is controversy over Griffith-Joyner's world record as questions have been raised as to whether the wind actually was zero, as indicated by the trackside anemometer. The triple-jump anemometer, some 10 metres away, read 4.3 m/s, more than double the acceptable limit.[4] Despite the controversy, the record was ratified by the IAAF."
    edited August 3
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Whatever Flo Jo was on, the record only stands because there was officially no wind assistance despite there being little short of a force 8 gale pushing her along. Even the American commentators here say as much before the race.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrt9yZL8dbI
    Dominica got their first ever medal, too. A Gold as well.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,185
    GIN1138 said:

tlg86 said:

According to BBC...

Bloody good job too, or the rioters would use them as pawns.

GIN1138 said:

tlg86 said:

According to BBC...

"That's why the pawns go first!"
    carnforth said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Wiki says:

"There is controversy over Griffith-Joyner's world record as questions have been raised as to whether the wind actually was zero, as indicated by the trackside anemometer. The triple-jump anemometer, some 10 metres away, read 4.3 m/s, more than double the acceptable limit.[4] Despite the controversy, the record was ratified by the IAAF."
    Oh indeed. There have been academic papers written about this record, it’s dodgy as hell.
  • DirtyLocalDirtyLocal Posts: 1
    MattW Posts: 20,700 8:40PM

Yes. Several times. It's ok.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,984
    EPG said:

moonshine said:

I’ve been caught in a proper civil disturbance / pre-revolutionary riot before. Bolivia 2002. That was wild. Police on motor bikes charging at the crowd while firing semi automatic weapons into the air. Ripped my trousers clambering over a fence as the crowd pulsed. Got away quite lightly I suppose, not all protests in Bolivia in that era ended so cleanly.

Anyway this isn’t that. There’s some angry people that feel left behind by our economy and democracy. And some av-eet boys livening up an otherwise boring summer. And some wronguns of various stripes. And a new government that hasn’t yet come to terms with the hard choices that power brings.

That government would however be foolish to overlook the undercurrent among the wwc, who seem to me to be throughly and justifiably fed up. If they’re not careful, the eventual reverse take over by Reform won’t be of the Conservative Party but Labour.

What does this phenomenon have to do with Labour, exactly? The only thing they can change rapidly is the policing policy. The protesters won't be assuaged by policies to reject non-white people in the future. They want rid of the ones they see today.
    I have a strong suspicion the narrative from the Conservative Party and right wing commentators on the "undercurrent" would be completely different as recently as a couple of months ago when the Conservative Party were in power.

GIN1138 said:

tlg86 said:

According to BBC...

Not necessarily. Knights can go first.

What's inherently racist about chess is that white goes first.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,546

MattW said:

What did you think?

My favourite local restaurant is run by a Punjabi mum. Her son persuaded her to open it and she serves no-nonsense home cooking. Really quite delicious and a very welcome break from 'mystery meat in a mystery red sauce'.
    ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

tlg86 said:

According to BBC...

Play Go instead. Black goes first. But white gets a 6.5 (or 7.5) point start!
    dixiedean said:

What in?
    ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

tlg86 said:

According to BBC...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5MSynAEaZk&t=4s
    Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

What in?
    Women's triple jump.

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Whatever Flo Jo was on, the record only stands because there was officially no wind assistance despite there being little short of a force 8 gale pushing her along. Even the American commentators here say as much before the race.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrt9yZL8dbI
    Seven of the eight athletes in that race, ran a career-fastest time. As did I think six of the eight in the other race held immediately afterwards. It was the semi-final of a trials meeting, no-one was targeting that particular race for a record, and even the commentator said they they were looking forward to seeing the time knowing it couldn’t count for a record.
    Golds in athletics for St Lucia, Ecuador, Norway, Uganda and Dominica in first 8 events. As well as Netherlands, China and USA.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,146
    edited August 3
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

A woman on twitter called TheNorfolkLion has tweeted "no more mosques" next to a photo of Brighton Pavilion. Trending on the platform.

Wait till she discovers Mecca Bingo.
    First she has to get hold of the phone book and hunt down anyone called Al.

Actually that reminds me of my one brief visit to Saudi Arabia, years ago. The there was a Chinese colleague in our Khobar office. He introduced himself as Abdullah Wong. Touching when-in-Rome attitude, I thought.
    TimS said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

A woman on twitter called TheNorfolkLion has tweeted "no more mosques" next to a photo of Brighton Pavilion. Trending on the platform.

First she has to get hold of the phone book and hung down anyone called Al.
    You can call me Al.
    "Louise Perry
    @Louise_m_perry

There are a lot of reasons why Britain is entering a period of sectarian violence that could develop into outright civil war in the coming years. The longstanding and open hatred of the British middle classes for the British working classes is one of those reasons."

https://x.com/Louise_m_perry/status/1819594826116980761
  • dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Don't go there. We don't want riots in Luton.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/47352.stm
    Andy_JS said:

"Louise Perry
    @Louise_m_perry

There are a lot of reasons why Britain is entering a period of sectarian violence that could develop into outright civil war in the coming years. The longstanding and open hatred of the British middle classes for the British working classes is one of those reasons."

There’s a fair bit of middle-class-splaining happening this weekend.

Tories: those trusty spokespeople for downtrodden working class.

AP (via Seattle Times) - Trump says he’ll skip an ABC debate with Harris in September and wants them to face off on Fox News

Donald Trump says he is pulling out of a scheduled September debate with Vice President Kamala Harris on ABC and wants them to face off on Fox News, making it increasingly unlikely that the candidates will confront each other on stage before the November election.

In a series of Truth Social posts late Friday, the Republican nominee and former president said his agreement to a Sept. 10 debate on ABC “has been terminated” because he will no longer face Democratic President Joe Biden, who ended his campaign last month after a disastrous performance in their first debate.

Trump now says he will appear on Fox News on Sept. 4 in Pennsylvania with rules that he called “similar” to his debate with Biden, but with a full audience instead of a mostly empty studio. Trump said that if Harris, the likely Democratic nominee, does not agree to the new network and date, he will do a “major Town Hall” with Fox News.

Michael Tyler, a Harris spokesperson, said Trump “is running scared and trying to back out of the debate he already agreed to and running straight to Fox News to bail him out.”

It was not immediately clear whether ABC would turn its Sept. 10 event into a Harris town hall in Trump’s absence. Tyler said Harris is committed to the time slot and would appear “one way or the other to take the opportunity to speak to a prime time national audience.”

SSI - See that self-proclaimed Hero of Butler is yet again burnishing his credentials as a bombastic bully coward.

NOT a good look and NOT a smart strategy . . . surprise! surprise!

In the UK, the tradition is to have Trump represented at the ABC debate by a tub of lard.
    But not rancid lard usually.
    That’s a bit unfair on lard

That’s a bit unfair on rancid lard, come to think of it.
    The conservative commentariat really have swallowed multiple pills since the 4th.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,360
    Ahahaha

🚨 NEW: Keir Starmers approval rating has dropped from +19 to +3 in two weeks in the latest poll

[@OpiniumResearch]

Within 18 months he’ll be at minus 50
    Andy_JS said:

She should go to Finsbury Park and tweet "no more effete chinoiserie", just for balance.
    TimS said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

First she has to get hold of the phone book and hunt down anyone called Al.

Actually that reminds me of my one brief visit to Saudi Arabia, years ago. The there was a Chinese colleague in our Khobar office. He introduced himself as Abdullah Wong. Touching when-in-Rome attitude, I thought.
    You are Archibald Clark Kerr and I claim my 5 pounds
    Leon said:

Ahahaha

🚨 NEW: Keir Starmers approval rating has dropped from +19 to +3 in two weeks in the latest poll

[@OpiniumResearch]

According to YouGov he's already on minus 38.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/explore/public_figure/Keir_Starmer
    Andy_JS said:

"Louise Perry
    @Louise_m_perry

Does that include, in Louise's mind, all Thatcher-era suburban and rural voters who wanted to destroy the union movement for about 30 years, well into the New Labour era ?

No ? What a surprise, n'esr-ce-pas.

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

The answer to this rioting is simple

Paxilon Hydrochlorate

Just dump it in the air.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,984
    Andy_JS said:

"Louise Perry
    @Louise_m_perry

No idea who she is, but clearly she has no idea.
    FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Louise Perry
    @Louise_m_perry

No idea who she is, but clearly she has no idea.
    Her feed suggests she’s one of those tradwives. Another American cultural import.
  • dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Paxilon Hydrochlorate

Just dump it in the air.
    Who would be the 10% that would go on the rampage if you did that?

Right now the Police would be happy with a Dihydrogen Monoxide dump.
    carnforth said:

Andy_JS said:

She should go to Finsbury Park and tweet "no more effete chinoiserie", just for balance.
    No more impressive buildings that promise great things, only to disappoint with half arsed chinoiserie inside when they really should have been decorated like a Mughal fort.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,579
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Ahahaha

[@OpiniumResearch]

According to YouGov he's already on minus 38.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/explore/public_figure/Keir_Starmer
    No, his net rating is minus 9.

Don't confuse the YouGov ratings with their proper polling.

https://x.com/YouGov/status/1819297161789485514
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,061
    Leon said:

Béziers, twinned with Wick

I may be wrong, but ISTR Beziers is twinned with Stockport. Which seems appŕopriate, looking at that pic.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,765
    edited August 3
    Cookie said:

Off to the low countries for a week.
    It's odd to be going on holiday by heading east. Normally holidays start by heading eithet north or south on the M6. Heading east and leaving through Hull feels like leaving via the back door.
    Remarkably easy and agreeable though.
    I've spent an hour and a half watching England slip away. The Humber Estuary is so enthrallingly functional - particularly Immingham. In fact, ferries in general are much more interesting than planes. A brief insight into how our stuff moves around.
    I have particularly enjoyed seeing the Italianate tower in Grimsby and the small parish churches of Holderness. And also Spurn Head, which I've always wanted to see.
    I'd say English people are in a minority on the boat. Lots of Europeans coming back from a holiday in the North of England. Got chatting to an extended family from Utrecht returning from a week in Keswick. They always come to the UK on holiday, and I was pleased to discover they'd been to Wick on past visits.

Have a great time! (Yes, Grimsby's Tower is very impressive! Surrounded by much that is not.)
    TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

"Louise Perry
    @Louise_m_perry

There’s a fair bit of middle-class-splaining happening this weekend.

Tories: those trusty spokespeople for downtrodden working class.
    It's priceless, but then that was also priceless during the whole Brexit process.

The Tories, trusty friends of the industrial working man for 40 years, innit by gum, and no mistake.
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    https://x.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1819775754617389248

We don't know who threw the objectm
    Leon said:

Ahahaha

[@OpiniumResearch]

He's been in less than a month
  • FossFoss Posts: 901
    Leon said:

Ahahaha

[@OpiniumResearch]

Tables: https://opinium.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/08/VI-2024-07-31-Observer-Tables.xlsx
    Cookie said:

Off to the low countries for a week.
    It's odd to be going on holiday by heading east. Normally holidays start by heading eithet north or south on the M6. Heading east and leaving through Hull feels like leaving via the back door.
    Remarkably easy and agreeable though.
    I've spent an hour and a half watching England slip away. The Humber Estuary is so enthrallingly functional - particularly Immingham. In fact, ferries in general are much more interesting than planes. A brief insight into how our stuff moves around.
    I have particularly enjoyed seeing the Italianate tower in Grimsby and the small parish churches of Holderness. And also Spurn Head, which I've always wanted to see.
    I'd say English people are in a minority on the boat. Lots of Europeans coming back from a holiday in the North of England. Got chatting to an extended family from Utrecht returning from a week in Keswick. They always come to the UK on holiday, and I was pleased to discover they'd been to Wick on past visits.

As a child I was fascinated by the idea of taking the DFDS to Denmark, and riding around Jutland on hired bikes in a happy suntanned-yet-blond family group, ending up in Legoland. We had the brochure at home but we never went.

Still fancy doing it. I tried to get work to support a ferry crossing instead of the LCY-Billund flight but the timings didn’t work.
    Nunu5 said:

Russia are getting their lines out far far faster than the authorities.
    edited August 3
    Courts to be open 24hrs a day.

For all the talk of the fascist far right hardened EDL mob, when you see the footage there is a hell of a lot of clearly pretty young youth. Of course they are now on their holidays, so don't have the inconvenience of a job or school to be going to.

Authorities need to really get on top of this as in Hull and Liverpool today some really bad scenes.

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Paxilon Hydrochlorate

Just dump it in the air.
    With Pussy Galore's Flying Circus?
  • Nunu5 said:

There were two injured on the videos (which showed both on the same video). Both with head injuries. One was bleeding profusely but walking wounded. The other was down and in a bad way being treated by paramedics.
  • FossFoss Posts: 901
    Foss said:

Leon said:

Ahahaha

[@OpiniumResearch]

Tables: https://opinium.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/08/VI-2024-07-31-Observer-Tables.xlsx
    There doesn't look to be any Westminster polling hidden away in there.
    Watching the archery now, they’re hitting regular 9s and 10s from 70m away.

The 10 is 12cm wide.

12cm, from 70m, with an arrow!

Courts to be open 24hrs a day.

I have never forgotten telling man after man in cell after cell how long they would get in prison for the 2011 London riots.

Once enthusiasm for lobbing bins at police has waned, once your pals have been arrested, once the booze & adrenaline subside - you realise.

Then regret.

Guess who won’t be coming along to give character evidence at your sentencing hearing? It’s the anonymous idiots-on-the-internet who inspired you to be the worst version of yourself after a few cans of beer and too much time on Facebook.

Ask any lawyer who blearily pressed the cell buzzer at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court in the early hours of those hot, dangerous days in August 2011.

There’s always a reckoning.

https://x.com/Joanna__Hardy/status/1819692360915091742
    Foss said:

Foss said:

Leon said:

Ahahaha

[@OpiniumResearch]

There doesn't look to be any Westminster polling hidden away in there.
    Opinium and others aren't conducting/publishing VI until they've understood where they went wrong at the general election.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,765

MattW said:

What did you think?

What are her opening hours?

Nunu5 said:

Russia are getting their lines out far far faster than the authorities.
    Russia is winning, sadly. In Ukraine, and here.
This discussion has been closed.