Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The exit poll brings bad news for the MRPs and the SNP – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    Pulpstar said:

Farage 99%

Streeting 99%
  • gettingbettergettingbetter Posts: 530
    I don't believe the Reform seats and am laying 7 or more heavily.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003
    Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Just look at her face when the exit poll came out.

Karma.
    Is the election not now a referendum on Scottish independence?
    We cannot be kept prisoners forever, Independence is only a matter of time. The SNP do not equal Independence as they have proven.
    The Scottish electorate is so volatile there is always hope for independence. Give it 5 years and you might have every seat going to the SNP again.
    Or perhaps to a real Independence party if the turds are not expunged from SNP.
  • ChristopherChristopher Posts: 91

Andy_JS said:

"Stats for Lefties 🍉🏳️‍⚧️
    @LeftieStats

🗳️ Change in Labour vote share by region [EXIT POLL]

🔴 Scotland +18%
    🔴 Midlands +4%
    🔴 North +3%
    🔴 South +2%
    🔴 London -2%
    🔴 Wales -2%

Via
    @IpsosUK"

https://x.com/LeftieStats/status/1808973317493113113

So, a bit shit, really?
    There was no enthusiasm for labour and Starmer was poor during the campaign. Love him or hate him Farage was the undoubted star.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,568
    edited July 4
    I don’t like some of that detail for the LibDems. Bermondsey, Cambridge both 50/50 calls with Labour? Finchley a LD gain. The LDs aren’t targeting any of them.

It’s too closely working from a swing from last time, rather than newly modelled data. I reckon the LDs will be lucky to make 50, unless the Home Counties results are correspondingly better.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357

Andy_JS said:

"Stats for Lefties 🍉🏳️‍⚧️
    @LeftieStats

🗳️ Change in Labour vote share by region [EXIT POLL]

🔴 Scotland +18%
    🔴 Midlands +4%
    🔴 North +3%
    🔴 South +2%
    🔴 London -2%
    🔴 Wales -2%

Via
    @IpsosUK"

https://x.com/LeftieStats/status/1808973317493113113

So, a bit shit, really?
    Absent Scotland, very much so.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,845
    edited July 4
    The Reform gains are the big surprise of the exit poll.

Key to a future takeover of the Tories, or ready-made implosion of parliamentary incompetents ?
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,067
    Is it possible the outcome is more different than usual from the exit poll? Eg has Reform done worse and SNP better than these predictions?
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    Useful tool - for example it has Angus as TCTC - Con Gain 57%/SNP Hold 42%

malcolmg said:

Exactly
    Hubris from Tories who have had a good thrashing, as popular as a bag of shit. Man up instead of trying to say "look a squirrel".
    Why do you call her a squirrel? Ungentlemanly.
    To a squirrel perhaps
  • GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 2,173
    Farooq said:

Bad news for Rochdale.

Sorry, but it was never a realistic chance
    Do you have a link for that?
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112

TimS said:

This is actually a polling miss. The Tories have - surprise surprise - done better than the polls expected and it seems that Labour have had a decline during the campaign that in any normal election would have been catastrophic. They were just so far ahead beforehand that it didn’t matter, and their main opponents shat the bed.

And SNP and Green seem to have underperformed polling. Looks like Lib Dems are probably on par.

So all in all, Plaid excepted, the more left wing the party the more the polls overstate them.

I may even have won my mini bet with @Leon

Next election, pollsters, just add 5% on to any right of centre party and you’ll be spot on.

I am struggling to understand this analysis.

Labour reverted back in the campaign to where they started, around 40%?

We will see.
    Labour seem to have ended up on about 36%. That’s a crash from 44-45% at the start of the campaign. If the Conservatives had risen rather than fallen during the campaign Labour would have lost.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,278
    Steve Baker setting out his stall on changing tory party organization: no more "regicide".
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,082
    SMukesh said:

Finchley going Lib Dem. Thought Labour were odds on to win!

Oh damn. I meant to record the odds on each seat but it slipped my mind.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813
    edited July 4

Scotland exit poll:

In a "chuck the buggers out" election, in Scotland the SNP were the buggers....

Wow so Con actually gaining seats in Scotland!
    The Scottish Tories are going to be a significant fraction of what's left of the party, and they will not support a hard right loony for leader.

They'll certainly outnumber the tattered remnants in Northern England if these numbers are borne out. All the Red Wall gains are going to be lost.
    TimS said:

TimS said:

This is actually a polling miss. The Tories have - surprise surprise - done better than the polls expected and it seems that Labour have had a decline during the campaign that in any normal election would have been catastrophic. They were just so far ahead beforehand that it didn’t matter, and their main opponents shat the bed.

And SNP and Green seem to have underperformed polling. Looks like Lib Dems are probably on par.

So all in all, Plaid excepted, the more left wing the party the more the polls overstate them.

Next election, pollsters, just add 5% on to any right of centre party and you’ll be spot on.

I am struggling to understand this analysis.

Labour reverted back in the campaign to where they started, around 40%?

We will see.
    Labour seem to have ended up on about 36%. That’s a crash from 44-45% at the start of the campaign. If the Conservatives had risen rather than fallen during the campaign Labour would have lost.
    A bit of that is the mid campaign methodology change
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,870
    Question - if Reform get 13 seats, are these all expected to come from CON? Or are we looking at Labour losses to Reform? If so, where please?
    Anyway , enjoy , some people have to keep the GDP up by working so I will off to bed. I will get a laugh in the morning when the real results are in.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,357
    algarkirk said:

Is it possible the outcome is more different than usual from the exit poll? Eg has Reform done worse and SNP better than these predictions?

Naively I would have thought it would be the opposite, in that I can see Reform voters being rather shy about telling their vote to the exit pollsters...worried about being labelled racist etc.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,448
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Yes, our bet is going to be very close
    Turns out that normalcy bias is called that for a reason. As per our discussion recently, yes a Lab win but a "normal" Lab win.
    What's "normal" about over 400 seats?
    Romford 97% chance Labour gain!

I don't believe the Reform seats and am laying 7 or more heavily.

Your money.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,268
    Says Aberdeenshire North and Moray East is 99% likely Con hold, 1% SNP gain.

HOWEVER reckon this is among the seats where margins separating various candidates likely to be VERY tight, so personally think its premature to write off chances of PB's own Rochdale in ANME.
  • GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 2,173
    Ref gain 2 x Barnsley
    91% to gain Hartlepool
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,631
    How off his face do we think Farage is by now?
    Sutton Coldfield — 89% chance of Labour gain.

Was the Tories' safest seat in the country in 1979.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:
    You've predicted Bristol Central stays Red, but Waveney Valley goes Green.
    Hmpf.
    :(
    Bristol Central is very close though, could go either way. Obviously I had to plumb one way or the other.
    You have witched it. Curse your quest for precision... :)
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,019
    Brighton Pavilion & Bristol Central the two predicted Green seats
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163

The Refirm gains are the bug surprise of the exit poll.

Key to a future takeover of the Tories, or ready-made implosion of parliamentary incompetents ?

Allmost as big a sirprize as those typos :open_mouth:

Whisky bottle open?
  • MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,758
    I’m going to suggest for me the exit poll has overstated Reform by a few seats, definitely overstated Con in Scotland and possibly overstated the LibDems in England. The nature of this election has put it into much more uncertain territory.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,268

Looks like Reform are going to be the Wimbledon (FC) of this Parliament.

The Crazy Gang? Indeed
    Do you think the RefUKers will also wear weird uniforms?

HOWEVER reckon this is among the seats where margins separating various candidates likely to be VERY tight, so personally think its premature to write off chances of PB's own Rochdale in ANME.
    I hope Rochdale does well in ANME, but he isn't going to win, it's one of the weakest LD seats in the country.

algarkirk said:

Naively I would have thought it would be the opposite, in that I can see Reform voters being rather shy about telling their vote to the exit pollsters...worried about being labelled racist etc.
    They don’t have to tell them though. It’s a second secret ballot.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272

dixiedean said:

Youse lot all waiting on Blyth and Ashington.
    The English Riviera.
    Wor all just chilling.
    Not dark yet here. But it's getting there.

When's the Ashington train line opening?
    Christ alone knows.
    The train line is, and always has been, open. It takes freight to Lynemouth Power Station.
    They are only building Metro stations. Was at the Ashington one the other day. Looked like a regular Metro station through the fence.
    Issue seems to have been the determination to have automatic level crossings. Sacking the paid signallers has cost a bloody fortune according to rumour.
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,601
    CatMan said:

Brighton Pavilion & Bristol Central the two predicted Green seats

@MoonRabbit had been projecting Bristol C GRN gain for ages
    Round here (NE Herts) we are now a marginal. Projected chance of a Lab Gain is 1 in 3.

The outgoing Tory had an 18k majority, and survived the Blair landslides with room to spare.

Extraordinary.
  • northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,639
    Rejoice. Labour landslide. That’s all that matters to me.

My heart wanted the Tories destroyed, my head merely wanted them to have a good spanking. My head is happy.

It’s going to be difficult for Labour but the work begins now.
    Scott_xP said:

@PrivateEyeNews

Exit poll reaction: Joe Biden is the first world leader to congratulate Keir Starmer

Lammy referred to SKS as "Keir Charmer", earlier on SKY!
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,439
    algarkirk said:

Everything's possible.
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 1,090
    Sky's constituency lookup of the exit poll reckons Cambridge as basically 50/50 between Lab hold and LD gain. Does that seem really that likely? Certainly I haven't seen anything resembling serious LD activity here...
    TRUSS's seat

Con 84% likelihood
    Lab 8%
    Reform 8%

Suggest it could be a 3 way battle.
  • paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,505
    Finchley and golders green reckoned 99% lib dem gain by the exit poll. On at 22/1 so I hope so 🤞.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,448
    Farooq said:

malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Karma.
    Is the election not now a referendum on Scottish independence?
    We cannot be kept prisoners forever, Independence is only a matter of time. The SNP do not equal Independence as they have proven.
    The Scottish electorate is so volatile there is always hope for independence. Give it 5 years and you might have every seat going to the SNP again.
    Or perhaps to a real Independence party if the turds are not expunged from SNP.
    But independence isn't everything. This result is is likely to show indy parties getting way below the level of support independence has. Not everybody is voting on independence. Independence parties have to make a good offering on things OTHER than independence. They haven't recently, none of them have, so they're suffering for it.
    The best thing the SNP could have done for independence is to govern well and say "look how good we are, trust us with the rest".

Instead they went down the road of "everything is shit due to Westminster".
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,368
    ITV has the best debate. Ch4 shat the bed by inviting Nadine.
  • GravitationGravitation Posts: 287
    https://x.com/tomhfh/status/1808978888107712916/photo/1

Popular vote estimates from GB News:

Lab 36.1% (+3.2)
    Con 25.8% (-18.9)
    Ref 17.2% (+15.2)
    Lib 9.4% (-2.5)
    Gre 6.1% (+3.4)
    SNP 2.6%
    Surprised I’m saying this but so far the BBC coverage is much better than Sky. A bit too rough and tumble on Sky, much calmer on the been and Mandy and Baker good studio speakers.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759

Question - if Reform get 13 seats, are these all expected to come from CON? Or are we looking at Labour losses to Reform? If so, where please?

Some are from Labour.
    Andy_JS said:

I hope Rochdale does well in ANME, but he isn't going to win, it's one of the weakest LD seats in the country.
    He’s doing his bit leaving more of the LD NEV for the seats that matter. Bravo.
    edited July 4
    ITV proving my point about mortgages....don't f##k with people's mortgages.
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Turns out that normalcy bias is called that for a reason. As per our discussion recently, yes a Lab win but a "normal" Lab win.
    This is a normal win?
    Boris' 80 seat majority was an absolute trouncing.
  • MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,758
    Bexley, Bromley red there!
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,507
    So my forecast performance:

Lab: Me: 419 - Exit Poll: 410
    Cons: Me: 121 - Exit Poll: 131
    LibDems: Me: 63 - Exit Poll: 61
    Reform: Me 1 - Exit Poll: 13

So shocking for Reform - that is def head vs heart - but not bad otherwise.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,439
    No way on God's green earth will SKS contemplate rejoining the EU if this exit poll pans out.
  • DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 659
    Who is the guy who looks like a priest in Newcastle?
  • RattersRatters Posts: 1,007
    Remember that the exit poll has historically accurate in aggregate, and not in specifics for each seat.

It can't pick up constituency level idiosyncrasies. That probably means there are betting opportunities if people are overreacting to the probabilities in an individual seat if you have local knowledge.
    Curtis basically saying the anti-Tory swing is quite proportional
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 5,053
    I can't believe that Orpington is predicted to go Labour. Totally gobsmacked.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,546
    algarkirk said:

Sure, polling is hard and polling populist parties is extra hard. But it could be wrong in either direction...
    SNP look likely to lose some significant MPs - Stephen Flynn is TCTC Lab/Con & Joanna Cherry Lab Gain, Pete Wishart Con Gain, unfortunately that fatuous windbag, John Nicholson looks likely to hang on.....Cherry will be a loss to Parliament...
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,462

Excellent tool
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,604
    Andy_JS said:

Sutton Coldfield — 89% chance of Labour gain.

Was the Tories' safest seat in the country in 1979.

Solihull was 2nd safest and the new seat looks likely for labour too.
    Curtis up.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910

Lab 36.1% (+3.2)
    Con 25.8% (-18.9)
    Ref 17.2% (+15.2)
    Lib 9.4% (-2.5)
    Gre 6.1% (+3.4)
    SNP 2.6%

If that’s the case then Starmer really is a lucky general. 36.1% and a majority over 150?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,462
    (((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    13m
    The fact Labour have won such a huge victory on such a - relatively - low vote share is a vindication of the Starmer/McSweeney political strategy, not a repudiation of it.
    edited July 4

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

What's "normal" about over 400 seats?
    It is just a big Lab win. People were talking about an ELE for the Cons, 300+ Lab majority and LibDems Official Opposition. Or Reform on five zillion seats and a redrawing of the British political landscape. It is a "normal" big win for Lab in a 2-party system. Is all.
    edited July 4
    biggles said:

algarkirk said:

Yeah, but if you are conspiracy minded....
    7 minutes to B+A call.
    We move fast up here.
    TOPPING said:

So my forecast performance:

Lab: Me: 419 - Exit Poll: 410
    Cons: Me: 121 - Exit Poll: 131
    LibDems: Me: 63 - Exit Poll: 61
    Reform: Me 1 - Exit Poll: 13

So shocking for Reform - that is def head vs heart - but not bad otherwise.

Excellent forecast. I also had Reform on 3, not 13.

Lab 36.1% (+3.2)
    Con 25.8% (-18.9)
    Ref 17.2% (+15.2)
    Lib 9.4% (-2.5)
    Gre 6.1% (+3.4)
    SNP 2.6%

That is diabolical for labour. A more inspiring leader would have them at 45%.
  • booksellerbookseller Posts: 504

Excellent tool
    Witney showing 78% Tory hold
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,380
    carnforth said:

Steve Baker setting out his stall on changing tory party organization: no more "regicide".

Is he actually saying that Truss did it then? :open_mouth:
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053

Scotland exit poll:

In a "chuck the buggers out" election, in Scotland the SNP were the buggers....

But I'll believe all those results when they happen...

Damn. @RochdalePioneers did not win ANME. Yes I know the prob was low, but one hoped... :(
    edited July 4

Lab 36.1% (+3.2)
    Con 25.8% (-18.9)
    Ref 17.2% (+15.2)
    Lib 9.4% (-2.5)
    Gre 6.1% (+3.4)
    SNP 2.6%

That £50 bet is on a knife edge

Shit Lib Dem vote share too
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327

SNP look likely to lose some significant MPs - Stephen Flynn is TCTC Lab/Con & Joanna Cherry Lab Gain, Pete Wishart Con Gain, unfortunately that fatuous windbag, John Nicholson looks likely to hang on.....Cherry will be a loss to Parliament...

But quite possibly a gain to Parliament House if she comes back to the bar. A woman of considerable talent.
    dixiedean said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

This is a normal win?
    See my response to Barty above.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    dixiedean said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

This is a normal win?
    Normal in the sense of 1997 and 2001(huge labour majorities based on around a third of voters actually backing labour).
    Curtice: Reform and SNP forecasts are not as reliable as the others.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,135
    IanB2 said:

I don’t like some of that detail for the LibDems. Bermondsey, Cambridge both 50/50 calls with Labour? Finchley a LD gain. The LDs aren’t targeting any of them.

It’s too closely working from a swing from last time, rather than newly modelled data. I reckon the LDs will be lucky to make 50, unless the Home Counties results are correspondingly better.
    In Bermondsey the sitting MP has a full house of bullying, racism, sexual harrassment and addiction scandals, so could be an interesting one. Switched at least one vote from Labour to LD. Wish I had taken some of the 10/1+ now!
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,212
    My friends are aghast at the reform vote. But voters should be represented in a democracy; we need to engage with what these people are concerned about.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759

Lab 36.1% (+3.2)
    Con 25.8% (-18.9)
    Ref 17.2% (+15.2)
    Lib 9.4% (-2.5)
    Gre 6.1% (+3.4)
    SNP 2.6%

If true, the split between right and left is not much changed, since 2019, but the split in the right vote has delivered 150 seats to Labour and Lib Dem’s.
    MaxPB said:

David Lammy expects to be Foreign Secretary

Expect us to have given away Jersey to France by accident.
    Fortunately he can't as Jersey reports to the King, the Duke of Normandy, not the UK PM.

I expect Lammy will be busy "growing a cervix".....

biggles said:

algarkirk said:

Yeah, but if you are conspiracy minded....
    Yeah that’s fair. My instinct is that Reform is the one most likely to be out, just due to lack of good previous data at these polling levels.
  • I can see the myth about Labour actually being lucky to win starting now
    eristdoof said:

I can't believe that Orpington is predicted to go Labour. Totally gobsmacked.

I'm even more gobsmacked by Old Bexley going Labour, Ted Heath's old seat.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,520

Lab 36.1% (+3.2)
    Con 25.8% (-18.9)
    Ref 17.2% (+15.2)
    Lib 9.4% (-2.5)
    Gre 6.1% (+3.4)
    SNP 2.6%

Wow. LDs below 10%. I am not sure I see all those 63 going into their column then, TBH.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,226

Ref gain 2 x Barnsley
    91% to gain Hartlepool

A Con-Ref merger would thus result in two Conservative MPs in Barnsley.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,516
    So the likely Reform MP for Barnsley North said black people should "get off [their] lazy arses" and stop acting "like savages".
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163
    Andy_JS said:

Curtice: Reform and SNP forecasts are not as reliable as the others.

Yikes!

The guru has spoken!
  • rjkrjk Posts: 71

Lab 36.1% (+3.2)
    Con 25.8% (-18.9)
    Ref 17.2% (+15.2)
    Lib 9.4% (-2.5)
    Gre 6.1% (+3.4)
    SNP 2.6%

If the Lib Dems get 61 seats on 9.4% of the vote, then they will have achieved almost perfectly proportional representation!
    Can't pronounce Houghton either.
    edited July 4
    Sean_F said:

Lab 36.1% (+3.2)
    Con 25.8% (-18.9)
    Ref 17.2% (+15.2)
    Lib 9.4% (-2.5)
    Gre 6.1% (+3.4)
    SNP 2.6%

If true, the split between right and left is not much changed, since 2019, but the split in the right vote has delivered 150 seats to Labour and Lib Dem’s.
    1983 in reverse
    edited July 4

Lab 36.1% (+3.2)
    Con 25.8% (-18.9)
    Ref 17.2% (+15.2)
    Lib 9.4% (-2.5)
    Gre 6.1% (+3.4)
    SNP 2.6%

Now about how well the Unknown Stuntman approach to campaigning went.....lots of people thought it was genius, not looking like it was.
  • BobSykesBobSykes Posts: 46
    Curtice seems to be seriously undermining his own exit poll here. He seems doubtful about Ref 13 and SNP 10.

Hm....
    Curtice Speaks!

Seat forecast is a product of national vote shares and their geographic distribution
    Tory support falling much more heavily in Tory held seats
    Much of this damage being caused by Reform, not Labour
    Labour is doing relatively better in Tory and SNP held seats
    The Lib Dems are outperforming in the Con-LD contests

Major points followed by caveats. Estimates could be out, and he is least certain about the SNP and especially Reform seat counts, due to fewer sampling points in Scotland, and large numbers of seats that Reform have a 20-30% chance of capture.
  • SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,724
    TimS said:

Lab 36.1% (+3.2)
    Con 25.8% (-18.9)
    Ref 17.2% (+15.2)
    Lib 9.4% (-2.5)
    Gre 6.1% (+3.4)
    SNP 2.6%

That £50 bet is on a knife edge

Shit Lib Dem vote share too
    Looks like Con vote has held up well. It would be a shame that media coverage of the dismal Con polling had an effect on voting intention.
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    The very early NE results are now important. They will show us how well Reform have actually done in Labour seats.

Same places as tolled the bell in the Referendum

Not long to go now.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    @mortenmorland

Exit poll

• numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,520
    Cough - 36.1% is what DC got in 2010.

Lab 36.1% (+3.2)
    Con 25.8% (-18.9)
    Ref 17.2% (+15.2)
    Lib 9.4% (-2.5)
    Gre 6.1% (+3.4)
    SNP 2.6%

Wow. LDs below 10%. I am not sure I see all those 63 going into their column then, TBH.
    Especially when you look at which seats they are predicting. There would be some betting opps but I think Ladbrokes has closed its seat bets and BF has little liquidity on most of them
    Curtis says Reform vote share broadly matches polls.
This discussion has been closed.