Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The exit poll brings bad news for the MRPs and the SNP – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,631

MaxPB said:

David Lammy expects to be Foreign Secretary

Expect us to have given away Jersey to France by accident.
    Fortunately he can't as Jersey reports to the King, the Duke of Normandy, not the UK PM.

I expect Lammy will be busy "growing a cervix".....
    Or crying about Douglas Alexander’s appointment as Foreign Sec.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527

https://x.com/tomhfh/status/1808978888107712916/photo/1

Popular vote estimates from GB News:

Lab 36.1% (+3.2)
    Con 25.8% (-18.9)
    Ref 17.2% (+15.2)
    Lib 9.4% (-2.5)
    Gre 6.1% (+3.4)
    SNP 2.6%

That is diabolical for labour. A more inspiring leader would have them at 45%.
    “Diabolical”…FFS…
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731

So the likely Reform MP for Barnsley North said black people should "get off [their] lazy arses" and stop acting "like savages".

So won't be supporting Badenoch?
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,159

Lab 36.1% (+3.2)
    Con 25.8% (-18.9)
    Ref 17.2% (+15.2)
    Lib 9.4% (-2.5)
    Gre 6.1% (+3.4)
    SNP 2.6%

If that’s the case then Starmer really is a lucky general. 36.1% and a majority over 150?
    But it means the lead is soft. A good Tory leader could make a huge dent in that majority in 2029/30.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,082

I’m going to suggest for me the exit poll has overstated Reform by a few seats, definitely overstated Con in Scotland and possibly overstated the LibDems in England. The nature of this election has put it into much more uncertain territory.

The exit poll doesn't smell right but perhaps that is due to the number of minor parties doing better than expected. I'd want to see some actual results though.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    edited July 4
    I'm a tad annoyed because I had figures of Lab 407, Con 127, LD 70 ready at 6:45 this morning but decided to wait until tonight to post. But I did send the spreadsheet to a few people at that time, so can prove I did have it ready at that time.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,212
    BobSykes said:

Curtice seems to be seriously undermining his own exit poll here. He seems doubtful about Ref 13 and SNP 10.

Hm....

I think there are a lot of seats where there are multiple contenders and will be closely fought.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,357
    edited July 4
    Can we just mute Prof Peston's mic. Just have Eddie Spheriods and Osborne giving some decent analysis.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,568
    MaxPB said:

Lab 36.1% (+3.2)
    Con 25.8% (-18.9)
    Ref 17.2% (+15.2)
    Lib 9.4% (-2.5)
    Gre 6.1% (+3.4)
    SNP 2.6%

If that’s the case then Starmer really is a lucky general. 36.1% and a majority over 150?
    But it means the lead is soft. A good Tory leader could make a huge dent in that majority in 2029/30.
    Just one slight problem, then…
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,269
    Scott_xP said:
    Interesting that somebody FINALLY remembered to bring an umbrella.

So this is what a "save" for the Tory Party looks like - and a "Pyrrhic victory" for Labour?
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    Scott_xP said:
    Flesh wound. Sunak was meant to be up for a Portillo, now 99% certain to hold. This is a nothingburger of a result.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    So the polls underestimated RefCon by 5% and overestimated LLG by 5%. Why am I not surprised. Just add 5% on to the righties!
  • DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 1,127
    IanB2 said:

Lab 36.1% (+3.2)
    Con 25.8% (-18.9)
    Ref 17.2% (+15.2)
    Lib 9.4% (-2.5)
    Gre 6.1% (+3.4)
    SNP 2.6%

Wow. LDs below 10%. I am not sure I see all those 63 going into their column then, TBH.
    Especially when you look at which seats they are predicting. There would be some betting opps but I think Ladbrokes has closed its seat bets and BF has little liquidity on most of them
    The GB News doesn't seem to tally with the BBC regional vote share moves, Scotland +0%, North +0%, Midlands +0%, Wales +0%, London -1%, South +1%. That can't equal -2.5% nationally.

Can we just mute Prof Peston's mic. Just have Eddie Spheriods and Osborne giving some decent analysis.

I find his pomposity quite entertaining to watch, lol.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,135

I’m going to suggest for me the exit poll has overstated Reform by a few seats, definitely overstated Con in Scotland and possibly overstated the LibDems in England. The nature of this election has put it into much more uncertain territory.

The exit poll doesn't smell right but perhaps that is due to the number of minor parties doing better than expected. I'd want to see some actual results though.
    Maybe that is just what happens when the two main parties are not popular and the vote is not close enough that we have to pick one or t'other?
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    DougSeal said:

Lab 36.1% (+3.2)
    Con 25.8% (-18.9)
    Ref 17.2% (+15.2)
    Lib 9.4% (-2.5)
    Gre 6.1% (+3.4)
    SNP 2.6%

“Diabolical”…FFS…
    I think he's just joshing!
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,380
    Osborne spot on, but I doubt the party will listen - yet!
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978

Lab 36.1% (+3.2)
    Con 25.8% (-18.9)
    Ref 17.2% (+15.2)
    Lib 9.4% (-2.5)
    Gre 6.1% (+3.4)
    SNP 2.6%

Wow. LDs below 10%. I am not sure I see all those 63 going into their column then, TBH.
    No, I think we are going to see the exit poll wrong for RefUk and Lib Dems possibly SNP and Green too. Its going to be tight
  • GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 2,173
    Doncaster E 57% Lab, 43% Ref
    Boston 48% Con 45% Ref
    Pontefract 83% Lab hold, 17% Reform gain

Ashfield - 46% Lab gain, 44% other gain (don't know if this is Ashfield indies)
    Rother Valley - 61% Lab gain, 39% reform gain
    Hull W - Lab gain 51%, Reform gain 49%
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813
    BobSykes said:

Curtice seems to be seriously undermining his own exit poll here. He seems doubtful about Ref 13 and SNP 10.

Hm....

He's not, he's describing areas of uncertainty.

Certainty is a very big thing in science and, I'm sure, in psephology. He's not going to make firm predictions unless very sure, and the reasons given for the uncertainty surrounding some party seat counts appears sound.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    MaxPB said:

Lab 36.1% (+3.2)
    Con 25.8% (-18.9)
    Ref 17.2% (+15.2)
    Lib 9.4% (-2.5)
    Gre 6.1% (+3.4)
    SNP 2.6%

Absolutely, despite what Heathener blathers about, the next election is totally in play. Does need a decent Tory leader though, not a given.
  • We seem to be saying the Labour lead is soft because the Lib Dems are about to get their best result since 2005 despite being a party that everyone knew was going to put Labour in power :/

I can see the myths starting to build.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,462
    Can someone tell me what this forecast votes % on the right hand of bbc screen actually is?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,462
    Selebian said:

Osborne spot on, but I doubt the party will listen - yet!

what did he say?
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,278
    BBC reeled Daisy Cooper in and then pointed out the LD share wasn't up.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,864
    dixiedean said:

Can't pronounce Houghton either.

Geordies and Mackems can't agree how to pronounce it.
  • MaxPB said:

Lab 36.1% (+3.2)
    Con 25.8% (-18.9)
    Ref 17.2% (+15.2)
    Lib 9.4% (-2.5)
    Gre 6.1% (+3.4)
    SNP 2.6%

Absolutely, despite what Heathener blathers about, the next election is totally in play. Does need a decent Tory leader though, not a given.
    Based on the mood music, you're about to do a Labour 2015.

We seem to be saying the Labour lead is soft because the Lib Dems are about to get their best result since 2005 despite being a party that everyone knew was going to put Labour in power :/

You seem permanently unhappy. Your team have just won. Shouldn't you be at least a bit happy?
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    edited July 4
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:
    You've predicted Bristol Central stays Red, but Waveney Valley goes Green.
    Hmpf.
    :(
    Bristol Central is very close though, could go either way. Obviously I had to plumb one way or the other.
    You have witched it. Curse your quest for precision... :)
    Hah. Professor Sir John Curtice RSS believes Bristol Central is a 99% Green Gain!
    https://news.sky.com/story/exit-poll-what-is-the-forecast-election-result-in-my-constituency-13163180

(deletes Andy's name from Xmas card list. Inserts SJC :) )
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,089

We seem to be saying the Labour lead is soft because the Lib Dems are about to get their best result since 2005 despite being a party that everyone knew was going to put Labour in power :/

It looks like the Lib Dem share of the vote share has not really changed. Just very well organised
    Andy_JS said:

eristdoof said:

I can't believe that Orpington is predicted to go Labour. Totally gobsmacked.

I'm even more gobsmacked by Old Bexley going Labour, Ted Heath's old seat.
    And Rosindell's Romford!
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,901

MaxPB said:

Lab 36.1% (+3.2)
    Con 25.8% (-18.9)
    Ref 17.2% (+15.2)
    Lib 9.4% (-2.5)
    Gre 6.1% (+3.4)
    SNP 2.6%

Do the Tories swing to the left or the right? That's the question.

It might have to be the right if Farage starts to gain momentum in parliament.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,507
    MaxPB said:

Lab 36.1% (+3.2)
    Con 25.8% (-18.9)
    Ref 17.2% (+15.2)
    Lib 9.4% (-2.5)
    Gre 6.1% (+3.4)
    SNP 2.6%

The devil will be in just what people think constitutes a "good" Tory leader.
  • BatteryCorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorse Posts: 3,044
    edited July 4

You seem permanently unhappy. Your team have just won. Shouldn't you be at least a bit happy?
    I hit 21 off 17, I had a great night.

They aren't "my team", I've voted Tory before, perhaps you'd like to get my vote back one day?
    dixiedean said:

Is is "Ho-tun" or "Huff-tun"?

Or none of the above?

So the likely Reform MP for Barnsley North said black people should "get off [their] lazy arses" and stop acting "like savages".

Barnsley has always been about 75 years behind the rest of the country.

dixiedean said:

Geordies and Mackems can't agree how to pronounce it.
    The Geordies pronounce it correctly. The Mackems are idiots

I think it’s more that they are barely getting a third of the votes. No better than Cameron did etc.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,901
    Sky think the first result in 15 minutes
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,135
    darkage said:

My friends are aghast at the reform vote. But voters should be represented in a democracy; we need to engage with what these people are concerned about.

About the last party I would vote for, but they deserve some seats for sure, its not an issue for me at all. Firstly they are no different to a significant wing of the Tory party so the claims of beyond the pale are overdone. Secondly they represent a significant proportion of the electorate and therefore deserve representation. That's just democracy.
    edited July 4
    BBC reckons Reform is up by far more in Tory seats than Labour seats. The opposite for the Greens
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Lab 36.1% (+3.2)
    Con 25.8% (-18.9)
    Ref 17.2% (+15.2)
    Lib 9.4% (-2.5)
    Gre 6.1% (+3.4)
    SNP 2.6%

TBF, even a mediocre one will do it given the low base. Rishi was very poor.

Cough - 36.1% is what DC got in 2010.

PBUH :lol:
  • PJHPJH Posts: 618
    rjk said:

Lab 36.1% (+3.2)
    Con 25.8% (-18.9)
    Ref 17.2% (+15.2)
    Lib 9.4% (-2.5)
    Gre 6.1% (+3.4)
    SNP 2.6%

If the Lib Dems get 61 seats on 9.4% of the vote, then they will have achieved almost perfectly proportional representation!
    BBC has just shown LD change in vote % by region, basically no change, so one of them is wrong!

Andy_JS said:

eristdoof said:

And Rosindell's Romford!
    You're joking. That could be a Portillo moment (if only for anoraks who know who Rosindell is).
    edited July 4
    Labour share of the vote down by 1% in their own seats. BBC.

My spreadsheet has the Labour share going down in 160 seats, mostly their own seats.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iFyVLRnJG_7HD1BrN6BQMzU_n2Vl-BjJEIz5H3qq6XA/edit?gid=0#gid=0
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,766

4 points less than Jezza in 2017.

Imagine if Starmer were actually inspiring.
    edited July 4

They aren't "my team", I've voted Tory before, perhaps you'd like to get my vote back one day?
    I am not a Tory, so its not really for me to get your vote or not. I only say your team, because you have been very vocal in support of Labour over the past few elections and they have finally found a way to win.
  • Reform up in Labour seats, danger for Labour assuming they're close seats.
    carnforth said:

BBC reeled Daisy Cooper in and then pointed out the LD share wasn't up.

She won't care a jot. It has clearly become vastly more efficient.

Lib Dems gaming our crap voting system very well.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    REFORM
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,604
    TOPPING said:

So my forecast performance:

Lab: Me: 419 - Exit Poll: 410
    Cons: Me: 121 - Exit Poll: 131
    LibDems: Me: 63 - Exit Poll: 61
    Reform: Me 1 - Exit Poll: 13

So shocking for Reform - that is def head vs heart - but not bad otherwise.

Not to shabby at all. Hope you made some money from it too.
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 5,053
    BobSykes said:

Hm....

He's being a typical statistician! Lots of caveats and pointing out that surprising results might not be so accurate.
    Reform up 10%, Green up 7% in Labour 2019 seats. Labour vote 1% down in 2019 Labour seats.

MaxPB said:

Lab 36.1% (+3.2)
    Con 25.8% (-18.9)
    Ref 17.2% (+15.2)
    Lib 9.4% (-2.5)
    Gre 6.1% (+3.4)
    SNP 2.6%

Not me. Just commenting on the data we have. Voted Lib Dem very happily this morning, although the local Tory is likely to hold on.
  • We seem to be saying the Labour lead is soft because the Lib Dems are about to get their best result since 2005 despite being a party that everyone knew was going to put Labour in power :/

I am not a Tory. I say your team, because you have been very vocal in support of Labour over the past few elections.
    I stand by that - but as I said, I have voted Tory before and would do so again. I am a younger voter, the kind of voter the Tories used to win. Shall we discuss how to get these voters back?
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    reform up 18% on Brexit party. Man.
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

eristdoof said:

And Rosindell's Romford!
    You're joking. That could be a Portillo moment (if only for anoraks who know who Rosindell is).
    Chance 97% Lab gain, 2% Reform gain!
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Lab 36.1% (+3.2)
    Con 25.8% (-18.9)
    Ref 17.2% (+15.2)
    Lib 9.4% (-2.5)
    Gre 6.1% (+3.4)
    SNP 2.6%

I wonder if the realistic possibility of a one parliament recovery (albeit with luck and hard work) might focus Tory minds this time?
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,380

Useful tool - for example it has Angus as TCTC - Con Gain 57%/SNP Hold 42%
    Excellent tool
    Did Starmer's dad make it?
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405

dixiedean said:

Or none of the above?
    There's 3 Claughtons in Lancashire and they are Clayton Clawton and Cluffton respectively.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527

DougSeal said:

Lab 36.1% (+3.2)
    Con 25.8% (-18.9)
    Ref 17.2% (+15.2)
    Lib 9.4% (-2.5)
    Gre 6.1% (+3.4)
    SNP 2.6%

“Diabolical”…FFS…
    I think he's just joshing!
    Never been good with irony has this here internet thing
  • MaxPB said:

Lab 36.1% (+3.2)
    Con 25.8% (-18.9)
    Ref 17.2% (+15.2)
    Lib 9.4% (-2.5)
    Gre 6.1% (+3.4)
    SNP 2.6%

Not me. Just commenting on the data we have. Voted Lib Dem very happily this morning, although the local Tory is likely to hold on.
    I absolutely think if the Tories go back to the centre ground 2029 is in play. But if they go full right wing it won't work. Do not do a me and vote for Jezza-style please.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    In fairness to Labour they never ever believed the hype about their own vote.
    In other breaking news, yours truly just signed up to be 2020 primary election observer at King County Elections.

First time was during the administration of George Bush the Elder. (Or early John Major if you prefer)
  • SkiddertonSkidderton Posts: 15
    BobSykes said:

Hm....

He is consistent with this, he always explains that there is higher risk of variance in the prediction of the smaller parties
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,586
    IPSOS exit poll

Says 99% chance Green Gain Bristol Central
    LD Gain Sheffield Hallam
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,533
    Wes Streeting is one of those people who more than half makes me wish I hadn't voted Labour.
    edited July 4
    SKY news Gillian just said the first result could be called at 11.15!

Reform up in Labour seats, danger for Labour assuming they're close seats.

Will be interesting to see if any Lab seats - probably in bricks in the red wall that were just held in 2019 - actually flip Reform. If they do, mind you, there won't be many.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    Kinnock has got so old.

I am not a Tory. I say your team, because you have been very vocal in support of Labour over the past few elections.
    I stand by that - but as I said, I have voted Tory before and would do so again. I am a younger voter, the kind of voter the Tories used to win. Shall we discuss how to get these voters back?
    Compulsory phone mast installation? :D
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,959

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

This is actually a polling miss. The Tories have - surprise surprise - done better than the polls expected and it seems that Labour have had a decline during the campaign that in any normal election would have been catastrophic. They were just so far ahead beforehand that it didn’t matter, and their main opponents shat the bed.

And SNP and Green seem to have underperformed polling. Looks like Lib Dems are probably on par.

So all in all, Plaid excepted, the more left wing the party the more the polls overstate them.

I may even have won my mini bet with @Leon

Next election, pollsters, just add 5% on to any right of centre party and you’ll be spot on.

Yes, our bet is going to be very close
    Turns out that normalcy bias is called that for a reason. As per our discussion recently, yes a Lab win but a "normal" Lab win.
    What's "normal" about over 400 seats?
    I was told on here just a few months ago it was actually impossible for Labour to win the 120 seats in one election that would get them to a majority. I was "wrong" to suggest it was entirely possible.
  • SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 7,065
    Isn't the expectations game amazing?

IPSOS exit poll

Says 99% chance Green Gain Bristol Central
    LD Gain Sheffield Hallam

I got Hallam right, not Bristol Central though.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,766
    eristdoof said:

You haven't been reading any opinion polls for the last couple of years then?
    DavidL said:

Kinnock has got so old.

He is 82....

SKY news Gillian just said the first result could be called at 11.15!

I'll manually update Blyth and Ashington on the spreadsheet
  • booksellerbookseller Posts: 504

Yeah, but come on. Landscape utterly different post Brexit surely and we're talking FPTP? If Labour have improved their efficiency then that's a big deal.
    @christopherhope

Away from the election, it is cheering news to see that former Tory MP Craig Mackinlay is to become 'the Bionic Peer'. He will be a brilliant sepsis campaigner.
    mwadams said:

Wes Streeting is one of those people who more than half makes me wish I hadn't voted Labour.

Why?

dixiedean said:

Or none of the above?
    There's 3 Claughtons in Lancashire and they are Clayton Clawton and Cluffton respectively.
    Don’t get me started on “belvoir” in Leicestershire. You have to know it’s pronounced “beaver”. You can’t work it out.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,256
    I wonder who the 2 Reform clowns elected in Barnsley will be
    biggles said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Lab 36.1% (+3.2)
    Con 25.8% (-18.9)
    Ref 17.2% (+15.2)
    Lib 9.4% (-2.5)
    Gre 6.1% (+3.4)
    SNP 2.6%

I wonder if the realistic possibility of a one parliament recovery (albeit with luck and hard work) might focus Tory minds this time?
    Yes, 5 points off reform and 3-4 off Labour suddenly the race becomes very tight. 7 or 8 off reform and 3-4 off Labour and it's majority territory again.
  • PJHPJH Posts: 618

Andy_JS said:

eristdoof said:

And Rosindell's Romford!
    Hope so, but a surprise, Labour didn't really try
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,705
    Nunu5 said:

reform up 18% on Brexit party. Man.

up from 0 in 2019 as brexit stood down in Tory seats.
  • pigeon said:

Reform up in Labour seats, danger for Labour assuming they're close seats.

Will be interesting to see if any Lab seats - probably in bricks in the red wall that were just held in 2019 - actually flip Reform. If they do, mind you, there won't be many.
    But if it's 2019 Labour seats most of them weren't red wall right? It will be those left over in 2019.

It is interesting. But clearly if they're massive Labour majorities it's less meaningful than close fights.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,520
    edited July 4
    Feels like there still could be some surprises to come. Exit poll probably broadly right but could be quite important what happens in the close races.

I may be wrong, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we see Labour and LDs underperforming it slightly and Tories and SNP overperforming slightly. But it’s just a hunch.

Maybe something like 400/150/50/20 (SNP) 10 REF…
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    IanB2 said:

BBC reckons Reform is up by far more in Tory seats than Labour seats. The opposite for the Greens

That would sound correct to me.
    mwadams said:

I voted for him :)
    Leon said:

REFORM

FECK! DRINK!
    The Lib Dems will be praying they go backwards in the first few seats :D
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327

DavidL said:

Kinnock has got so old.

He is 82....
    I'm avoiding mirrors for a while.
    mwadams said:

I rather like him. Labour shadow health and has the balls not to treat the NHS like a religion.

Compulsory phone mast installation? :D
    God no, just something on student debt and house building would get a lot of us back!

DavidL said:

Kinnock has got so old.

He is 82....
    If he was American, he’d be entering his prime.
    @MrTCHarris

Is this still a de facto independence referendum? Asking for a friend.
This discussion has been closed.