Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sunak’s strategy is working – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,041
    edited June 22

AlsoLei said:

Just trying to formulate what the Tories would consider relative 'success' from the doldrums they've put themselves in? I'm guessing the minimum aim must be to be HM opposition with enough MPs to properly shadow the government and run a 1922 committee plus provide a deputy speaker, so, what, 110 MPs minimum? They're aiming no doubt to beat the 156 low total

110 would be uncomfortably tight, I think.

There'll inevitably be some MPs who aren't suitable for a formal role (allowing for illness, disaffection, being a bit too independently-minded, etc), so they'd really need to have closer to 125-130 in order to run a full Official Opposition in the traditional style.

Even at that level, they might be well advised to double up on some of the more junior shadow positions.

John Major's interim shadow cabinet in May 1997 might be a good model until the leadership election is finished, and possibly for the whole of the first session. And didn't either Hague or IDS make a virtue of having a slimmed-down shadow cabinet at some point?
    Pretty grim prospects for them and for proper opposition really
    Yes, I would say 125 or so seats would allow them to continue business as usual from the opposition benches.

Don't forget they have a lot of Councillors and the whole Party infrastructure which goes with being in Office for thirteen years (never mind the couple of hundred before that.) It wouldn't all vanish overnight.

They must at all costs avoid dropping behind the LDs. The loss of influence becomes dramatic then,and there's always the danger the public quite likes the look of the new Opposition.

If they do manage to retain that kind of number, my main concern about their future would resolve around what sort of Party the New Conservatives would be. If you cast your eye down the list of likely survivors, the prospects don't look great. You'd have to expect some vicious infighting.

Nothing new about that though.
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 630
    O/T I have just read the obituary of James Reeve in the "Tele". His life makes Leon's seem tedious and suburban in comparison.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,633
    Leon said:

On the other hand prime minster Farage would not have allowed in 2.4 million migrants in 3 years

Yeah, he would.

He would blame the French
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,373
    Andy_JS said:

The Economist only has Labour clearing the winning post by 55 seats, which doesn't seem that many, (although of course you double that figure to get the majority).

https://www.economist.com/interactive/uk-general-election/forecast

A prediction with a range for the SNP of 1-55, Tories 81-263 is hardly worth the trouble is it?
  • Options
    edited June 22

If they do manage to retain that kind of number, my main concern about their future would resolve around what sort of Party the New Conservatives would be. If you cast your eye down the list of likely survivors, the prospects don't look great. You'd have to expect some vicious infighting.

This has been mentioned elsewhere.

While you might expect there to be a fight, the history of the non-batshit wing is that they don't fight.

Which is largely why we are where we are now.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,464
    Andy_JS said:

The Economist only has Labour clearing the winning post by 55 seats, which doesn't seem that many, (although of course you double that figure to get the majority).

LAB 380 CON 186 seems very plausible. LD 24 seems low. Maybe a few more for them and a few less for CON?

A lot of CON would be privately pleased with 175.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,221

AlsoLei said:

Just trying to formulate what the Tories would consider relative 'success' from the doldrums they've put themselves in? I'm guessing the minimum aim must be to be HM opposition with enough MPs to properly shadow the government and run a 1922 committee plus provide a deputy speaker, so, what, 110 MPs minimum? They're aiming no doubt to beat the 156 low total

There'll inevitably be some MPs who aren't suitable for a formal role (allowing for illness, disaffection, being a bit too independently-minded, etc), so they'd really need to have closer to 125-130 in order to run a full Official Opposition in the traditional style.

Even at that level, they might be well advised to double up on some of the more junior shadow positions.

John Major's interim shadow cabinet in May 1997 might be a good model until the leadership election is finished, and possibly for the whole of the first session. And didn't either Hague or IDS make a virtue of having a slimmed-down shadow cabinet at some point?
    Even if they do end up at the top end of their expectations, going into opposition is going to be a huge wrench for them.

If IDS fails in his bid for re-election, they should get him into the lords asap and lean heavily on his, Hague's and Howard's experience. People like Michael Ancram too, and whoever else they can get who had a senior role in opposition.

I really hope they've got a team looking at past experiences of post-defeat leaders - not just Tories, but Milliband too.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,339
    edited June 22
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

On the other hand prime minster Farage would not have allowed in 2.4 million migrants in 3 years

Yeah, he would.

If Farage had been the PM we'd have lost a short war against France, ceded a strip of the south coast to them and Yorkshire would have declared independence. England's population would have gone down from 55 million to 42 million, and therefore commentary from certain quarters would be calling it all a huge success.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,331
    Farooq said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    In Farage I see someone who from a public platform has never uttered one word of kindness towards the fellow citizens he is not trying to recruit, never extended a conciliating hand to anyone who differs, never built a bridge or talked about compromise, and never indicated sympathy with (or even interest in) a contrary opinion, or any willingness to reconsider his own. The grin is broad but the vive is negativeL whom or what do we hate? Come hate with me.

I don't think it is quite the same thing as the extreme offensiveness and odiousness that Trump displays, where is just so vulgar and unpleasant all the time even if you agree with him on 90% of things, as Farage does have a kind of chummy, earnest kind of charismatic appeal. He can come across as pretty ordinary, despite being a professional politician for decades.
    After the massive villification that Farage gets, and is still getting, especially from those invested in the European project, both still inside it, or longing to be back inside it, is it really down to him to be walking around offering olive branches to all and sundry? He's leading a (peaceful) political insurgency ffs.
    The point being made is not about Farage not reaching out to uber Remainers. It’s that he doesn’t reach out to anyone.
    @Number10cat

Replying to @Nigel_Farage

Farage: The people of the UK should be able to decide whether they want to be in the EU
    Also Farage: The people of Eastern Europe shouldn't be able to decide whether they want to be in the EU
    Well that implies that the other European countries don’t have a say in the matter of who joins.
    No it doesn't. Do you really need someone to explain this to you?
    A country in the EU can decide to leave without the consent of the rest of the EU. The same is not true for countries wishing to join the EU. So, Farage’s thesis is that the fault lies with the countries that enabled this expansion, and not with the people in Eastern Europe, which is not what was described in the previous post.

Not that I agree with it, as I have stated elsewhere
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,573
    edited June 22
    I'm tempted to take a nibble of Con 150 to 200 seats, on the basis that if 'the fear' works, the lower end of that is probably doable. I get the feeling they'll either hold a 97 position or collapse way below, not the in between
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,980
    Scott_xP said:

This has been mentioned elsewhere.

While you might expect there to be a fight, the history of the non-batshit wing is that they don't fight.

Which is largely why we are where we are now.
    With the most left wing conservative government in history?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,480
    algarkirk said:

IanB2 said:

Farooq said:

ANME update:
    Postal ballot has arrived and it didn't occur to me before looking at it that @RochdalePioneers name is alphabetically first on the list. Anybody know how much of a boost that's worth? It is a small boost, isn't it?

It’s a bigger boost in a multi-vote election, or a preferential election. In single member FPTP it probably isn’t worth that much.
    "Vote Aaron Aardvark for electoral reform".
    Aaron A Aardvark was the first citizen to die when Judge Cal decided to execute the whole of Megacity 1.

Extreme Geek trivia fact. :)
  • Options
    AlsoLei said:

AlsoLei said:

Even if they do end up at the top end of their expectations, going into opposition is going to be a huge wrench for them.

If IDS fails in his bid for re-election, they should get him into the lords asap and lean heavily on his, Hague's and Howard's experience. People like Michael Ancram too, and whoever else they can get who had a senior role in opposition.

I really hope they've got a team looking at past experiences of post-defeat leaders - not just Tories, but Milliband too.
    Ruth Davidson needs to play an active role in rebuilding probably from the younger generation, and Annabel Goldie knows all about opposition from a very weak position
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 51,121
    Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

I remember my very first trip to Edinburgh. I was about 25. I wandered around the castle, the cathedral, the war memorials, the Georgian bits and the medieval bits. Everything. It was great fun and I had my first pint of 4 shillings of whatever they call it

But I recall it was that trip that made me realise: Scotland is very definitely a nation. With a sense of itself and a proud and distinct culture. Only various accidents of history/geography prevented it from being as independent as Denmark or Norway, say

I am still a firm unionist. Obvs. I believe all nations of the UK benefit from this ancient alliance, despite recent evidence otherwise. But I can also see why the Nats feel very differently

From this I derive several lessons. The most relevant is this: to understand something complex and political and historical you have to see it. With your own eyes. See it, smell it, taste it, hear it

No amount of book learning can make up for this. Eg I did not understand the concept of “transnistria” until I recently went there and saw what it looks like and how it relates to Moldova/russia/ukraine

Ditto Ukraine and the war. You can’t understand it until you see it, taste it, hear it. And you can’t understand why Ukraine is simultaneously an independent nation and yet also intrinsically Russian (in places) until you go to Kyiv and Odessa

70/- or 80/-, probably ...
    These days more like 120/- in Edinburgh.
    More like 100/- actually (if one's not so ill-advised as to go in Arts Festival time). But the shilling prices were actually traditional names for strengths/types of beer, presumably you know that? From the price per barrel long before when even Leon was young.
    Indeed. Spent enough time in Scotland with family to understand the nomenclature. Maybe I once made a joke with a barman about what the price should be.
  • Options
    Leon said:

With the most left wing conservative government in history?

They are not left wing.

They are incompetent.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,980
    I’m on a train going to get……..

…..

……… a ferry

😶
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,063
    Farooq said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Yeah, he would.

If Farage had been the PM we'd have lost a short war against France, ceded a strip of the south coast to them and Yorkshire would have declared independence. England's population would have gone down from 55 million to 42 million, and therefore commentary from certain quarters would be calling it all a huge success.
    If Farage was PM he would be like the dog that caught the milk cart.

It is all very well talking big when you never have to do anything (a la Lib Dems) but if he became PM he would soon learn that posturing and reality seldom work well together. Look at Boris as an example - the hero who would rescue us all and he turned out to be nothing more than a broken record spouting lies and latin nonsense.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,180
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Off topic.

A useful service from the National Library of Scotland for comparing a wide selection of maps side by side.

This is a 1914 OS map vs a recent OS Map I am using to compare public footpath routes with what used to be there.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTAAAR1YIggaYyUPWkGzcyDOpM8dU4I69RCQ_ls2qXJNpY8cW_xwKHwvdPeXtR0_aem_LbCFQfhgXRiqif4iPHWA_A#zoom=17.2&lat=53.13245&lon=-1.30173&layers=168&right=OSLeisure

Indeed. They've just uploaded still more maps - including more large scale OS maps of much of the UK - so far as copyright allows. And I really like the Lidar - peering under tree cover at old earthworks.

(And there is also an overlay option, of course.)
    I want the Definitive Map and Statement for Nottinghamshire.
    Isn't that held by the county council, presumably? Not the OS.
    Yes, but not online in any useful form.

In Derbyshire it's just another layer of data on their mapping system.

For me to inspect something is a 50 mile round trip, so it's easier to put an FOI in.

If I did that with all the footpaths I need to know about, they would have a fugue.
    The data is on rowmaps.com I think - depends how happy you are at playing around with GIS software!
  • Options

AlsoLei said:

AlsoLei said:

Ruth Davidson needs to play an active role in rebuilding probably from the younger generation, and Annabel Goldie knows all about opposition from a very weak position
    ANME update: we got a letter from Ruth Davidson encouraging us to vote Conservative Duggie Ross to keep the SNP out. She did not mention the strong challenge from PB favourite Rochdale.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,172
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Ooh, CCHQ social media team have woken up.

Two posts this morning, one going after Labour on housing taxes, and another going after Labour on motoring taxes.

Nothing at all on Farage.

https://x.com/conservatives/status/1804490205593731378?s=12
    https://x.com/conservatives/status/1804450095636562228?s=12

Mad

The more I think about it, the more Farage's comments feel like a huge mistake the Tories should be exploiting. NOT because of his views on the origins of the war, but because it can be painted as proof that he is literally a paid Putinite puppet. He has appeared on Russia Today, he did so after Crimea

That will be deadly for a lot of his potential voters. That's not "deeply patriotic", is it?

I guess the Tories have to be wary of the libel laws, but they could surely chuck out some innuendo. A screenshot of him on Russia Today, his quotes about Ukraine, and just a question - "who is he working for"?

That could be brutally effective and drive down the Reform vote well under 15%, potentially saving the Tories from disaster. This is a gift. Are they going to take it?
    But if he isn't a paid Putinite puppet (or if there's just no actual evidence that he is), that approach could be very dangerous. Putin is very good at getting apologies off people. CCHQ doesn't want to be in the position at having to apologise publicly to him during an election campaign.
    Do you mean Putin is very good at getting apologies off people?

Enabling them to fall out of tenth storey windows is more his style, I thought.
    President Putin managed to get an absolutely lovely, heartfelt apology from Prigozhin shortly before he sadly had an accident.
    Prigozhin chickening out of his coup attempt will be one of the great 'what if's of history.
    That was one of the weirdest days in recent years. I was on holiday with the missus, and we sat watching the TV all day hoping that the end result would be a Russian civil war.
    It was indeed weird. How on earth did Prigozhin not realise he had absolutely nothing to lose? There was absolutely no chance Putin was going to let him live after that. He is a murderous barsteward. Prigozhin must have known that.

If you aim for the King you had better not miss.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,905

kle4 said:

eek said:

IanB2 said:

The Tory on Any Questions accepting that we should at least “have a conversation” about electoral reform…a first straw in the wind?

The system that has worked to our advantage since 1945 now looks to be working against us. Boo hoo....

Sorry I want electoral reform but it's not a priority I can think of 20-30 other issues that are more pressing because the previous Government did nothing to solve any of those issues.
    Labour would probably focus on quick, easy to achieve electoral changes rather than spend time and capital on it. Hence votes at 16 but surprisingly not changes to voter ID rules.

eek said:

IanB2 said:

The Tory on Any Questions accepting that we should at least “have a conversation” about electoral reform…a first straw in the wind?

The system that has worked to our advantage since 1945 now looks to be working against us. Boo hoo....

Sorry I want electoral reform but it's not a priority I can think of 20-30 other issues that are more pressing because the previous Government did nothing to solve any of those issues.
    Indeed.

I’d also insist on House of Lords reform as part of the change to the voting system.

Bonkers to have more unelected peers than actual MPs.
    Labour have announced some fairly straightforward proposals to that effect, which could be an indication that the larger issue will be parked after some easy
    reductions - eg unelected peers out, age limits.
    The only peers who are elected are hereditaries though!

If you meant just kick them out then you have a wholly appointed house, which would be a disaster

Yes, an entirely appointed House seems to be the worst of all possible worlds, with its composition largely at the discretion of got government of the day.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

AlsoLei said:

AlsoLei said:

ANME update: we got a letter from Ruth Davidson encouraging us to vote Conservative Duggie Ross to keep the SNP out. She did not mention the strong challenge from PB favourite Rochdale.
    She'll have loved writing that lol
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I keep pointing out that SKS needs the sort of swing Blair had in 1997 to get a majority of 1.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

RobD said:

Farooq said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    In Farage I see someone who from a public platform has never uttered one word of kindness towards the fellow citizens he is not trying to recruit, never extended a conciliating hand to anyone who differs, never built a bridge or talked about compromise, and never indicated sympathy with (or even interest in) a contrary opinion, or any willingness to reconsider his own. The grin is broad but the vive is negativeL whom or what do we hate? Come hate with me.

I don't think it is quite the same thing as the extreme offensiveness and odiousness that Trump displays, where is just so vulgar and unpleasant all the time even if you agree with him on 90% of things, as Farage does have a kind of chummy, earnest kind of charismatic appeal. He can come across as pretty ordinary, despite being a professional politician for decades.
    After the massive villification that Farage gets, and is still getting, especially from those invested in the European project, both still inside it, or longing to be back inside it, is it really down to him to be walking around offering olive branches to all and sundry? He's leading a (peaceful) political insurgency ffs.
    The point being made is not about Farage not reaching out to uber Remainers. It’s that he doesn’t reach out to anyone.
    @Number10cat

Farage: The people of the UK should be able to decide whether they want to be in the EU
    Also Farage: The people of Eastern Europe shouldn't be able to decide whether they want to be in the EU
    Well that implies that the other European countries don’t have a say in the matter of who joins.
    A country in the EU can decide to leave without the consent of the rest of the EU. The same is not true for countries wishing to join the EU. So, Farage’s thesis is that the fault lies with the countries that enabled this expansion, and not with the people in Eastern Europe, which is not what was described in the previous post.

Ok. Looks like you DO need it explained to you.

The people of Eastern Europe should be able to decide they want to be in the EU. It's not up to Russia. The EU should be able to decide whether to let them in and on what conditions. Also not up to Russia.

At no point does anyone need to consult Russia. It's none of their business.
    I think Farage was mentioning or referring to this (debunked) deal in the early 90s that would limit the expansion of the West further into Eastern Europe. He is suggesting it was the West’s fault for allowing this expansion, not the fault of the people in Eastern Europe as was suggested in the tweet I was replying to.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,938
    Regarding Ukraine. In response to some of the more useful commentary today have been thinking what my position actually is, what should happen.

I think firstly, that the objective should be to de-escalate the conflict.
    This would be undertaken in full knowledge that it will restart when Russia thinks it has an advantage.
    So it would not be done naively and the first principle would be that Ukraine retains the ability to defend itself.
    Beyond this the goal should be to try and find a strategic solution to the issue of security in Europe, given the threat from Russia.

To change my mind about this I would need some evidence that Ukraine can actually win the war.
    What equipment do they need etc, what would be the strategy, have they got the people to do it.
    Or alternatively, that the Russian state is about to collapse. But it just appears highly resilient to me.
    Also, reassurance that the nuclear paradox can be overcome- a relevant factor in both scenarios.
    I am not going to give any weight to the 'moral argument' or being called a Putin appeaser.
  • Options

Farooq said:

AlsoLei said:

AlsoLei said:

She'll have loved writing that lol
    One suspects, cynically, that it was written by some campaign staffer and waved at Ruthie to get her seal of approval. Very much a case of "hmmm, who have we got that hasn't totally fucked their reputation in the last few years?" and they could only think of one name.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,464
    Apologies for my typos and odd numbering. Can’t find an edit button.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,984
    edited June 22
    O/T

Just put a bet on the correct score being Portugal 1, Turkey 0 at odds of 9.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/football/market/1.229546033
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,660
    Andy_JS said:

That will do my bet on SNP winning most seats in Scotland great.

Also, I have a decent amount of money on Cons coming second, I hope they don`t screw things more in the next few days.
  • Options
    ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,522
    As I have posted before, I am a Conservative.

I have always believed that I vote for my constituency MP to represent me to the best of their ability. In Edinburgh SW there is no way my party candidate will win (she is a good person who I know through my wife), I do not want Labour to have the largest ever super-majority, so - do I vote tactically for Joanna Cherry who is a competent MP and supports LGB & Women's rights in a way I support? I do not support the SNP but I support her. Quandary time.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Apologies for my typos and odd numbering. Can’t find an edit button.

There’s a little cog icon in the top right of your own posts. That will allow you to edit for a few minutes after your post.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,781
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Two posts this morning, one going after Labour on housing taxes, and another going after Labour on motoring taxes.

Mad

The more I think about it, the more Farage's comments feel like a huge mistake the Tories should be exploiting. NOT because of his views on the origins of the war, but because it can be painted as proof that he is literally a paid Putinite puppet. He has appeared on Russia Today, he did so after Crimea

That will be deadly for a lot of his potential voters. That's not "deeply patriotic", is it?

I guess the Tories have to be wary of the libel laws, but they could surely chuck out some innuendo. A screenshot of him on Russia Today, his quotes about Ukraine, and just a question - "who is he working for"?

That could be brutally effective and drive down the Reform vote well under 15%, potentially saving the Tories from disaster. This is a gift. Are they going to take it?
    But if he isn't a paid Putinite puppet (or if there's just no actual evidence that he is), that approach could be very dangerous. Putin is very good at getting apologies off people. CCHQ doesn't want to be in the position at having to apologise publicly to him during an election campaign.

President Putin managed to get an absolutely lovely, heartfelt apology from Prigozhin shortly before he sadly had an accident.
    Prigozhin chickening out of his coup attempt will be one of the great 'what if's of history.
    That was one of the weirdest days in recent years. I was on holiday with the missus, and we sat watching the TV all day hoping that the end result would be a Russian civil war.
    It was indeed weird. How on earth did Prigozhin not realise he had absolutely nothing to lose? There was absolutely no chance Putin was going to let him live after that. He is a murderous barsteward. Prigozhin must have known that.

History is full of rebellions that with nothing between them and the capital just went home.

People are strange and not very logical.

Consider the number of people involved with The Pilgrimage Of Grace who thought they were doing a Loyal But Performative Dance for the King. Rather than challenging a King - which in the history of Kings is do/die for both sides.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,717

Andy_JS said:

I keep pointing out that SKS needs the sort of swing Blair had in 1997 to get a majority of 1.
    You may well do.
    Doesn't make it true though.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,781
    RobD said:

Farooq said:

RobD said:

Farooq said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

@Number10cat

Ok. Looks like you DO need it explained to you.

The people of Eastern Europe should be able to decide they want to be in the EU. It's not up to Russia. The EU should be able to decide whether to let them in and on what conditions. Also not up to Russia.

At no point does anyone need to consult Russia. It's none of their business.
    I think Farage was mentioning or referring to this (debunked) deal in the early 90s that would limit the expansion of the West further into Eastern Europe. He is suggesting it was the West’s fault for allowing this expansion, not the fault of the people in Eastern Europe as was suggested in the tweet I was replying to.
    The final joke in the whole thing why a number of countries in the East wanted to be in block entirely separate from Russia.

Because they had a long history of dealing with Russia.

Russia made them want to have nothing to do with Russia. *Russia* is making Poland want the biggest airforce and army on the continent.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

A prediction with a range for the SNP of 1-55, Tories 81-263 is hardly worth the trouble is it?
    No but I was looking at their central forecast numbers.
  • Options

I have always believed that I vote for my constituency MP to represent me to the best of their ability. In Edinburgh SW there is no way my party candidate will win (she is a good person who I know through my wife), I do not want Labour to have the largest ever super-majority, so - do I vote tactically for Joanna Cherry who is a competent MP and supports LGB & Women's rights in a way I support? I do not support the SNP but I support her. Quandary time.

That is a tricky one.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,425

I'm tempted to take a nibble of Con 150 to 200 seats, on the basis that if 'the fear' works, the lower end of that is probably doable. I get the feeling they'll either hold a 97 position or collapse way below, not the in between

My current feeling is the Tories are going to fall just short of 150 seats. Maybe Con 147, Lab 395, Lib 67, Ref 2 or 3, Green 2 or 3. Overall Lab majority circa 140ish. But I still took 8/1 on Con 150-200 seats earlier this week when it was on offer, as I think it's good value.

Meanwhile the really tricky decision will be whether to defer any capital disposals for the next five years, or to bugger off somewhere else for five years, assuming CGT gets bolted onto income tax and done at 45%. Decisions decisions. Either way, the CGT raise will not raise a single penny from me...

• Options

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Mad

History is full of rebellions that with nothing between them and the capital just went home.

Consider the number of people involved with The Pilgrimage Of Grace who thought they were doing a Loyal But Performative Dance for the King. Rather than challenging a King - which in the history of Kings is do/die for both sides.
    Robert v William the Conker. They had Billy Bastard wounded and on the floor and just let him go.
  • Options
    edited June 22
    edit
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,914
    For no apparent reason and certainly not seriously evidenced by the latest polls, PB.com appears to be in an extraordinarily bullish frame of mind this afternoon towards the Tories with several posters suggesting that they could win close on 200 seats in 12 days time.

All the evidence suggests that they will emerge with little more than half that number at best.

The spread-betting markets are seldom wrong, at least not to any major extent and Spreadex/Sporting's mid spreads for the three major parties are currently:

Labour 425 seats
    Tories 114 seats
    LibDems 58 seats

On this basis Labout would achieve an overall majority of 200 seats.
  • Options
    edited June 22
    darkage said:

Regarding Ukraine. In response to some of the more useful commentary today have been thinking what my position actually is, what should happen.

This would be undertaken in full knowledge that it will restart when Russia thinks it has an advantage.
    So it would not be done naively and the first principle would be that Ukraine retains the ability to defend itself.
    Beyond this the goal should be to try and find a strategic solution to the issue of security in Europe, given the threat from Russia.

To change my mind about this I would need some evidence that Ukraine can actually win the war.
    What equipment do they need etc, what would be the strategy, have they got the people to do it.
    Or alternatively, that the Russian state is about to collapse. But it just appears highly resilient to me.
    Also, reassurance that the nuclear paradox can be overcome- a relevant factor in both scenarios.
    I am not going to give any weight to the 'moral argument' or being called a Putin appeaser.

What about 'de-escalate', negotiate, temporise, pause, cease fire, discuss etc to the point where, without warning, it is announced by NATO and its members that Ukraine from this moment has its treaty protections. Russia may return to fighting but these are now the terms....

NATO has successfully either prevented Russia or bluffed Russia (USSR) since 1948. At some point we are bound to find out which it is.

It has the additional small merit that Farage would be against it.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,066
    edited June 22
    Good evening

To all those conservatives thinking of voting Labour or any other party but absolutely do not want Farage to have a future in the conservative party, then the only way to do that is to vote conservative notwithstanding so many doubts to ensure a conservative party has enough seats to provide a non Farage opposition

I have just posted our 2 votes for our conservative

Voting conservative will not stop Starmer becoming PM with a substantial majority
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 16,150
    darkage said:

Broadly agree. The red line for Ukraine I think would be no Russian say over the parts of Ukraine it doesn't control. So it would be free to arm and defend itself and enter into alliances with Western states. Ukraine would then need to trade territory for peace. Question is how much territory it is prepared to trade, if any at all, to get a peace treaty. I could see Donbas and Crimea maybe including Mariupol, but I think they will want clear the Russians out of the so called land bridge to the Crimean isthmus.

Then there's the question whether the Russians would agree to this.
  • Options
    edited June 22
    Effing hell, my bet goes down the drain due to an embarrassing own goal by Turkey, lol.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,333
    Sunak playing at Centre Back for Turkey
  • Options

Good evening

To all those conservatives thinking of voting Labour or any other party but absolutely do not want Farage to have a future in the conservative party, then the only way to do that is to vote conservative notwithstanding so many doubts to ensure a conservative party has enough seats to provide a non Farage opposition

Voting conservative will not stop Starmer becoming PM with a substantial majority

Good that your wife let you post them. Did she come with you to make sure you didn't put them in the dog poo bin by mistake?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,780

Good evening

Well done. May you be a force of many millions, peering over the edge and going "Nah....."!
  • Options

For no apparent reason and certainly not seriously evidenced by the latest polls, PB.com appears to be in an extraordinarily bullish frame of mind this afternoon towards the Tories with several posters suggesting that they could win close on 200 seats in 12 days time.

All the evidence suggests that they will emerge with little more than half that number at best.

The spread-betting markets are seldom wrong, at least not to any major extent and Spreadex/Sporting's mid spreads for the three major parties are currently:

Labour 425 seats
    Tories 114 seats
    LibDems 58 seats

Regretfully agree, (my regret is because I predicted NOM and hope crept out under the door some time ago) Electoral Calculus predict Tories 76, (range 41-227); Labour 457. I think that 76 is just as likely as 114.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,281

Good evening

Well it will if enough people do it...
    Also, I thought it was only Clacton voters, and then *members of the Conservative Party* who had any say?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

Just put a bet on the correct score being Portugal 1, Turkey 0 at odds of 9.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/football/market/1.229546033

Oh dear
  • Options

Good evening

If everyone votes CON it would stop Starmer becoming PM with a substantial majority 👍
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Good evening

Good that your wife let you post them. Did she come with you to make sure you didn't put them in the dog poo bin by mistake?
    Silly post.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,242
    edited June 22
    Leon said:

I’m on a train going to get……..

…..

……… a ferry

😶

The Isle of Wight is lovely this time of year. Except Shanklin.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,858
    darkage said:

You are never going to get anything that constitutes evidence one way or another. Wars are day-to-day decisions and everything is changing everywhere. They aren't deterministic, they are Markov chains where each step depends on the one before. Each side will fight until one side can't fight any more. So what you seek cannot be found.

The only decision the UK can take each day is whether to help the Ukrainians or betray them. Everything else is in the lap of the gods.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,331
    What goodies does polling Santa have for us this evening? :)
  • Options

Labour 425 seats
    Tories 114 seats
    LibDems 58 seats

Who is saying that the Tories will get 200 seats and do they want a bet?

What I am reading is that people are still finding it hard to believe that the Tories face complete evisceration and think that many unhappy people will follow @Big_G_NorthWales and vote Tory after all. Big, big Labour win but not the end of the Tory party as we know it.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Farooq said:

Good evening

Silly post.
    [bows extravagantly]
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,428

Good evening

And this is how Sunak gets re-elected. Lots of households where the LD/RUK waverer goes back to their regular programming.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,463
    edited June 22

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Mad

During the French Jacquerie, of 1358-60, and the English Peasants’ Revolt of 1381, the rebels could not conceive of overthrowing the king, which placed them at a huge disadvantage, psychologically and militarily.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,858

I have to warn you that there is an outside possibility, more theoretical than actual, that Joanna Cherry KC MP might be in favour of Scottish independence. It's only a rumour but you might want to take that into account.
  • Options

Good evening

If all those intending to vote Labour but switching to Conservative specifically to keep Farage out that gets a returned landslide Conservative Government.

I see what you did there.
  • Options

Good evening

If all those intending to vote Labour but switching to Conservative specifically to keep Farage out that gets a returned landslide Conservative Government.

They should, for the greater good.
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 494
    kyf_100 said:

My current feeling is the Tories are going to fall just short of 150 seats. Maybe Con 147, Lab 395, Lib 67, Ref 2 or 3, Green 2 or 3. Overall Lab majority circa 140ish. But I still took 8/1 on Con 150-200 seats earlier this week when it was on offer, as I think it's good value.

Meanwhile the really tricky decision will be whether to defer any capital disposals for the next five years, or to bugger off somewhere else for five years, assuming CGT gets bolted onto income tax and done at 45%. Decisions decisions. Either way, the CGT raise will not raise a single penny from me...

Defer for 5 years because the Tories will get back in and reverse the raise? They won't, and even if they do they won't. Bugger off for five years and then do what when labour change 5 years to 10? Honestly you will never have it so good again. Your portfolio is crying out to be rebalanced anyway if it is mainly one multibagger. Markets are at an all time high. There's zero guarantee lab will wait till October rather than rush through an emergency budget. If you want to play tax exile you can do that anyway to reduce the 20% to nil.

This is of course not financial advice.
  • Options

Good evening

Well it will if enough people do it...
    Ok you beat me to it!!! 😊
  • Options
    darkage said:

Sadly, in Geopolitics moral arguments and allowing emotional considerations, fairness and pity to influence your key strategic decisions are a dangerous indulgence.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,553
    edited June 22
    Weird thread. Voters who ten days out still don’t know who they want to be in government don’t want a huge Labour majority. I’m shocked, shocked I tell you.
  • Options

There's definitely a Savanta in the Telegraph and Opinium in the Observer
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,788
    Just seen Norris got pole.

I called it. 😎
  • Options

Weird thread. Voters who ten days out still don’t know who they want to be in government don’t want a huge Labour majority. I’m shocked, shocked I tell you.

Implications for betting. If undecideds break Tory, what effect does that have on the seats?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,780
    edited June 22
    FF43 said:

darkage said:

Broadly agree. The red line for Ukraine I think would be no Russian say over the parts of Ukraine it doesn't control. So it would be free to arm and defend itself and enter into alliances with Western states. Ukraine would then need to trade territory for peace. Question is how much territory it is prepared to trade, if any at all, to get a peace treaty. I could see Donbas and Crimea maybe including Mariupol, but I think they will want clear the Russians out of the so called land bridge to the Crimean isthmus.

Then there's the question whether the Russians would agree to this.
    The only way the Russians - or Putin at least - agree to anything is if they are dragged, kicking and screaming by circumstance. Which may be because their troops are in no position to fight. Or their economy is unable to fund their Special Military Operation. Neither looks imminent, but if all their refineries within 1200km of the border start burning, they may have to sue for peace.

But probably not then with Putin in charge.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Good evening

And this is how Sunak gets re-elected. Lots of households where the LD/RUK waverer goes back to their regular programming.
    As an MP, possibly. As PM not a snowball's chance in hell.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Good evening

Are you suggesting another five years of this current shower is optimal for our nation?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,178

Next Saturday will be mega polling Saturday.

The last weekend before voting day.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Just seen Norris got pole.

I called it. 😎

Tempted to back Sir Lewis Hamilton to win the title this year, I feel it my waters.

Or it might be the antibiotics.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,553
    WELSH POLL KLAXON

Labour leads Reform by 29% in Wales.

New lowest Conservative %.

Welsh Westminster Voting Intention (19-20 June):

LAB 46% (+1)
    RFM 17% (-1)
    CON 15% (-3)
    PLC 10% (-1)
    LIB 7% (+2)
    GRN 4% (=0)
    OTH 1% (+1)

Changes +/- 5-7 June

redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-welsh-w…
  • Options

RobD said:

Good evening

Are you suggesting another five years of this current shower is optimal for our nation?
    The greater good.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I have to warn you that there is an outside possibility, more theoretical than actual, that Joanna Cherry KC MP might be in favour of Scottish independence. It's only a rumour but you might want to take that into account.
    It's possible that the Labour candidate I shall vote for believes in Santa Claus and the Tooth fairy, but he will stand the same chance of legislating for this belief to be compulsory as J Cherry KC will have of successfully enabling Scottish independence legislation during the parliament of 2024-2029. Nor will her vote bring in Prime Minister Farage. So if she's good at filling in potholes and knows what distinguishes women from men (IIRC she does) she might be safe to vote for.
  • Options
    edited June 22
    Matt Goodwin is continuing to post a lot about Farage.

"@GoodwinMJ
    MOST READ #3 this week. What is Faragism? Five areas where Reform aim to outflank the big parties
    3:08 PM · Jun 22, 2024"

https://x.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1804516815730532540
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Good evening

Unnecessary and insulting but then I expected it
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I have also heard rumours to this effect. Stay away.
  • Options

I think tonight Opinium will be interesting

Last weeks was
    Lab 40
    Con 23
    Ref 14

Would expect Lab and Con to go backwards with Reform up.

I am going

LAB 38
    CON 21
    REF 18

So lead still circa 17
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,428
    DavidL said:

EPG said:

Good evening

As an MP, possibly. As PM not a snowball's chance in hell.
    That's true. Reform is not polling much above the Ukip vote in 2015, nor are the LDs particularly inflated, so I would also suggest that this mechanism isn't one to rely on nationally.
  • Options

RobD said:

Good evening

Well that's what you were suggesting in 2019 isn't it?
  • Options

Good evening

You know that will not happen
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Matt Goodwin is continuing to post a lot about Farage.

"@GoodwinMJ
    MOST READ #3 this week. What is Faragism? Five areas where Reform aim to outflank the big parties
    3:08 PM · Jun 22, 2024"

https://x.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1804516815730532540

Good God!
  • Options

Next Saturday will be mega polling Saturday.

The last weekend before voting day.
    We want Survey Monkey for The Sun
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,832
    I'm sure it makes sense to someone.

Reform candidate for Bmth West: “These endless takes from Jews are horrendous. Many of the powerful groups agitating for the mass import into England of Muslims from the Third World are Jewish.”

Disgusting and unpleasant. 1/2

Reform spokesman says they are pleased he “thinks and speaks like an ordinary person.”

He should be condemned as the racist Antisemite he is. Nigel Farage should sack him and urge people not to vote for him. Let’s see. 2/2

https://nitter.poast.org/ConorBurnsUK/status/1804266176006230353#m
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,938
    viewcode said:

darkage said:

You are never going to get anything that constitutes evidence one way or another. Wars are day-to-day decisions and everything is changing everywhere. They aren't deterministic, they are Markov chains where each step depends on the one before. Each side will fight until one side can't fight any more. So what you seek cannot be found.

The only decision the UK can take each day is whether to help the Ukrainians or betray them. Everything else is in the lap of the gods.
    Wars are not totally chaotic, I don't accept that. Also there are different types of 'help'. Refusing to do everything that is demanded of someone is not 'betrayal', this sounds to me like emotional blackmail.
  • Options

RobD said:

Good evening

Well that's what you were suggesting in 2019 isn't it?
    I've never voted Tory in my life. Corbyn was a disaster but so was Johnson. Let's not revisit that one again.
  • Options

WELSH POLL KLAXON

Labour leads Reform by 29% in Wales.

New lowest Conservative %.

Welsh Westminster Voting Intention (19-20 June):

LAB 46% (+1)
    RFM 17% (-1)
    CON 15% (-3)
    PLC 10% (-1)
    LIB 7% (+2)
    GRN 4% (=0)
    OTH 1% (+1)

Changes +/- 5-7 June

redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-welsh-w…

Looks pretty close to how things are nationally, but for the inclusion of PC.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,487

Back home after another fun day knocking doors.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - there is something blowing in the breeze which the polls aren't picking up. I have knocked today in two constituencies - my own (Aberdeenshire North & Moray East), and also in Gordon & Buchan.

I haven't yet found *anyone* who says the country is in a good state. Even the people wedded to voting Tory or SNP because they always do agreed that things are pretty bad.

What I am finding is that the Tory and SNP last time votes are really soft. They are listening to a change election message, and they agree that voting Con to stop Tory or vice versa is the wrong call because there is no change. I picked up a lot of votes from the doors I knocked today.

I'm still a 66/1 shot. With (Labour) 8/1. So I need to keep picking up the disaffected Con and SNP votes, and go after the few thousand Labour votes. Because with both Tory and SNP camps saying their doorknocks also find people saying the country is a mess, it remains all to play for.

Well, yes, I can only agree that would be a very foolish strategy.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,566
    AlsoLei said:

AlsoLei said:

Well named HOL - House of Losers
  • Options

darkage said:

Sadly, in Geopolitics moral arguments and allowing emotional considerations, fairness and pity to influence your key strategic decisions are a dangerous indulgence.
    Geopolitics can be cold. But there's also an awful lot of 'coldly pragmatic' takes that are nothing of the sort, especially when pretending some kind of high minded neutrality.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 51,121

Cherry is a good egg, and deserves as much support as possible in the circumstances.
  • Options
    Booooooo!!!

Reopening Brexit debate would bring ‘turmoil’, says Keir Starmer

Labour leader rules out rejoining EU, single market or customs union

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/22/brexit-keir-starmer-eu