Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sunak’s strategy is working – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MustaphaMondeoMustaphaMondeo Posts: 116

a

IanB2 said:

Farooq said:

Good evening

To all those conservatives thinking of voting Labour or any other party but absolutely do not want Farage to have a future in the conservative party, then the only way to do that is to vote conservative notwithstanding so many doubts to ensure a conservative party has enough seats to provide a non Farage opposition

I have just posted our 2 votes for our conservative

Voting conservative will not stop Starmer becoming PM with a substantial majority

Good that your wife let you post them. Did she come with you to make sure you didn't put them in the dog poo bin by mistake?
    Unnecessary and insulting but then I expected it
    At least your household is doing its little bit to balance off all those in Tower Hamlets where Tories so often allege that it’s the man of the house who gets to fill in the postal votes.
    In the case of Tower Hamlets, the criminal theft of votes was proven in court.
    Friend of mine used to live in Tower Hamlets, and was registered for a postal vote. One year it didn’t arrive, so she went to the Office to complain, and was told to go straight to the police.
    She did, and a large bundle of voting forms was subsequently found in the house of the Council official who was supposed to distribute them.
    That’s what she told me, anyway.

IanB2 said:

Farooq said:

Good evening

To all those conservatives thinking of voting Labour or any other party but absolutely do not want Farage to have a future in the conservative party, then the only way to do that is to vote conservative notwithstanding so many doubts to ensure a conservative party has enough seats to provide a non Farage opposition

Voting conservative will not stop Starmer becoming PM with a substantial majority

Good that your wife let you post them. Did she come with you to make sure you didn't put them in the dog poo bin by mistake?
    At least your household is doing its little bit to balance off all those in Tower Hamlets where Tories so often allege that it’s the man of the house who gets to fill in the postal votes.
    In the case of Tower Hamlets, the criminal theft of votes was proven in court.
    Friend of mine used to live in Tower Hamlets, and was registered for a postal vote. One year it didn’t arrive, so she went to the Office to complain, and was told to go straight to the police.
    She did, and a large bundle of voting forms was subsequently found in the house of the Council official who was supposed to distribute them.
    That’s what she told me, anyway.
    My flatmate had his vote stolen - polling card sent to a different flat. That apparently had dozens of people living there. When he tried to report it to the police a curious saga ensued.

He was first told that it wasn’t a crime. Yes, really. He was told nothing would be done.

He insisted on making a statement. When asked to sign it, he read it. It bore no relation to what he had said, included an addition of a fictitious kicking on the door of the flat his vote had been registered to (he never went there) and was full of crude and racist language. He was a Lib Dem of the kind who would stop a conversation to correct someone for not using First Australians to refer to the original inhabitants - not exactly the chap to call people P**i….

When asked, they claimed that the statement was accurate, it would take too much time to change it and they would change it later. He said he would wait. In the end they managed to write down his recorded words accurately.

All in all it took him the better part of a day to record a crime.

Oh, and no further action was taken.
    That is a shocking anecdote. And yet I’m not full of doubt. Any organisation with that little trust must go.

It is time to end the Met.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,350

Savanta
    🚨NEW Westminster Voting Intention for Sunday @Telegraph

📉Lowest ever Conservative vote share under Sunak, again

🌹Lab 42 (+2)
    🌳Con 19 (-2)
    ➡️Reform 16 (+2)
    🔶LD 9 (-2)
    🌍Green 5 (+1)
    🎗️SNP 3 (=)
    ⬜️Other 6 (+1)

2,103 UK adults
    19-21 June (chg from 14-16 June)

Another MOE survey but one that feels good for Labour despite being statistically insignificant.

There’s not much happening, is there?
    No,it's starting to look like 40/20/15/10....or near as dammit.

People have generally made up their minds by now so can't see much change coming in the remaining 12 days.
    40/20/15/10 is sub-100 seat territory for the Tories.
    With FPTP, Ben, that could easily be fifty seats out either way. We don't know how much impact tactical voting will have either, nor how Reform's contribution will play out.

I'm currently expecting about 125 Tory seats but I wouldn't bet on it. Too volatile.
    Good point. I'm relying on Electoral Calculus, I suspect it becomes meaningless at these sort of numbers.

Fun though.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,832
    Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Farooq said:

Good evening

Another silly post - you haven't got over it have you

And I would just say my wife would find your post insulting

Just don’t you start wasting our time telling us how you will leave the Tories if ever Farage becomes leader. You can’t make mugs of us three times running.
    I will not support the conservatives with Farage as leader and to suggest such a thing is just your bitterness sadly

Read my comments which rejects everything he stands for and I would be politically homeless

Why do you think I am appealing to all conservatives to vote conservative to isolate Farage

And by the way I resigned from the conservative party two years ago
    The issue is, you have said you would not support the Conservatives after Partygate, after Truss, after the D-Day debacle, yet in the end you still find a reason to support them.

That is your absolute right of course but don't be surprised if no one believes you wouldn't support them under Farage.
    I have said I will not support Farage and to suggest I would is just an exercise in trying to discredit my change 9f view which was 3xplained on here and indeed @Heathener and others supported that decision

I have been married to my dear wife for 60 years and I can affirm on that marriage I will not support Farage
    BS
    You are making a mistake here. For you, Johnson and Farage are more or less in the same category and you are failing to account for the fact that many other people see them as very different characters.
    That’s missing the point.

Every PB’er can see that G, or G’s wife, or both of them, are tribal Tory voters who when it comes to it will always find whatever reason they can to justify voting Tory. There’s nothing wrong with that - it’s essentially the HY position (who incidentally G has spent many of his own posts criticising). What is so insulting to the rest of us is that everything he posts meantime is essentially dishonest, whether deliberately or otherwise.
    Spare us all from this tedious feud you have with him.
    What would PB be without tedious feuds? Not sure there’s a poster on here without one.
    @kle4
    I don't recall anything between them and any other poster. I might start one just for fun :lol:
    Bring it on.

I just pray others will not get get caught in the crossfire of this epic battle, they are the true innocents in all this.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,573
    🚨 New polling with @ObserverUK

The Labour lead is now 20 points
    •Labour 40% (n/c)
    •Conservatives 20% (-3)
    •Reform 16% (+2)
    •Lib Dems 12% (n/c)
    •Greens 9% (+2)
    •SNP 3% (+1)

Fieldwork: 19 - 21 June. Changes from 12 - 14 June.

Getting battered
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,138
    ydoethur said:

Alexa, show me what doubling down looks like:

Writing in the Daily Telegraph, the Reform UK leader said he had never been an "apologist or supporter of [Russian President Vladimir] Putin" but that "if you poke the Russian bear with a stick, don’t be surprised if he responds".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c722pn07w99o

"You don't negotiate with a tiger. You admire him from a distance until he reveals his true fucking nature!"
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,539

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

The LDs won't be as low as 9% on election night.

They might be, in 2019 the LDs got a number of centrist voters who couldn't stand Boris or Corbyn.

Now Sunak has replaced Boris and more centrist Starmer replaced Corbyn a number will go Labour who voted LD at the last general election and a few LDs in 2019 may even go Tory (albeit far fewer than the number of 2019 Tories who were Boris fans who have gone Reform). We know that TSE and NigelF voted LD in 2019 for instance but will vote for Sunak this time
    @TheScreamingEagles is voting Tory? That I did not expect. Assumed he would go Liberal, maybe even Labour!
    Elite school vote, pretty big on here.
    Indeed. It doesn't hurt to remind ourselves occasionally that the regular poster community on PB is not wholly representative of the electorate at large.
    Indeed,'...this is not just a voter...this is a PB voter.....'
    Quite right, Hyufd. Regular PB contributors should have five votes each.

Ten each for you and me.
    Sod that. I demand a peerage.
    Now, now, Nadine. You know what happened last time...
    I know we have/have had our fair share of pols on here, but I am pleased to confirm that I am an obscure middle-aged homosexual from Hertfordshire, and not the crazed BoJo cheerleader and author of terrible yet inexplicably successful works of fiction.

And I deserve an earldom, because I'm worth it.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,339
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Farooq said:

Good evening

Just don’t you start wasting our time telling us how you will leave the Tories if ever Farage becomes leader. You can’t make mugs of us three times running.
    I will not support the conservatives with Farage as leader and to suggest such a thing is just your bitterness sadly

Read my comments which rejects everything he stands for and I would be politically homeless

Why do you think I am appealing to all conservatives to vote conservative to isolate Farage

The issue is, you have said you would not support the Conservatives after Partygate, after Truss, after the D-Day debacle, yet in the end you still find a reason to support them.

That is your absolute right of course but don't be surprised if no one believes you wouldn't support them under Farage.
    I have said I will not support Farage and to suggest I would is just an exercise in trying to discredit my change 9f view which was 3xplained on here and indeed @Heathener and others supported that decision

I have been married to my dear wife for 60 years and I can affirm on that marriage I will not support Farage
    BS
    You are making a mistake here. For you, Johnson and Farage are more or less in the same category and you are failing to account for the fact that many other people see them as very different characters.

Every PB’er can see that G, or G’s wife, or both of them, are tribal Tory voters who when it comes to it will always find whatever reason they can to justify voting Tory. There’s nothing wrong with that - it’s essentially the HY position (who incidentally G has spent many of his own posts criticising). What is so insulting to the rest of us is that everything he posts meantime is essentially dishonest, whether deliberately or otherwise.
    What would PB be without tedious feuds? Not sure there’s a poster on here without one.
    @kle4
    I don't recall anything between them and any other poster. I might start one just for fun :lol:
    Bring it on.

I just pray others will not get get caught in the crossfire of this epic battle, they are the true innocents in all this.
    Who am I kidding? You'd chew me up in three posts flat. Truce?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,480
    ydoethur said:

carnforth said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

They might be, in 2019 the LDs got a number of centrist voters who couldn't stand Boris or Corbyn.

Now Sunak has replaced Boris and more centrist Starmer replaced Corbyn a number will go Labour who voted LD at the last general election and a few LDs in 2019 may even go Tory (albeit far fewer than the number of 2019 Tories who were Boris fans who have gone Reform). We know that TSE and NigelF voted LD in 2019 for instance but will vote for Sunak this time
    @TheScreamingEagles is voting Tory? That I did not expect. Assumed he would go Liberal, maybe even Labour!
    I am voting Tory to keep His Excellency The Right Honourable The Lord Cameron of Chipping Norton as Foreign Secretary otherwise I would have abstained.
    I don't know how to break it to you but your vote will *not* be keeping Dave at the Foreign Office.

Also, there is no Father Christmas. (Might as well get it all over in one go.)
    I know but not voting to keep Dave in government is fucking anathema to me.

As my friends and colleagues observed recently, I am more loyal to Dave than I was to my wife which I know isn't a great reflection on me but sums up my adoration for Dave.
    I can guarantee Cameron himself is not voting for Rishi.
    He will be (though he probably voted LD in 2019 rather than for Boris)
    He doesn't have a vote...
    In a general?
    Nope. Peers, aliens,* lunatics** and criminals do not have a vote.

*Before causing somebody to have a meltdown, that's a technical term for those who are not British or Irish nationals or Commonwealth citizens with leave to remain.

**This begs certain questions around Nadine Dorries and Richard Burgon.
    Serious question, do the Royal Family have the vote?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

On topic - TSE has those click-bait headlines sorted now!

If the movement cited dictated the votes of all concerned that would work out as a 1% or 2% closure of the gap. Meanwhile the three gold standard polling companies (on past record) have the gap at 17-21%. Thoush they do all also have the Cons 5-9% clear of Ref UK

Yes, I decided to ditch my usual subtle style and go for the clickbait headlines.
    I miss the Shakespeare.

Did you decide quoting Shakespeare was a custom more honoured in the breach than in the observance?
    I do have a few more Shakespeare inspired headlines coming up.

It was sheer luck that so many Macbeth quotes seemed apt for the Humza Yousaf ditching the Greens/getting replaced threads.
    No luck about it: there is a tide in the affairs of men...
    Books will be written about how Richi chased the ebbing tide all the way out, and then got swamped
    Not according to Laura Kuenssberg.

She, and she says Labour do not believe the polls.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c722eezx9n4o

Neither do I. Shy Tories, Rishi's Labour tax bomb, don't knows, punish Nigel surge and don't let Labour get a landslide surgecould all happen.
    I was going to post that. It actually shows the opposite of what you’re saying. You need to let go of 1992 mate. This isn’t 1992. Labour might not wipe out the Tories but if you’re correct in your prognostications you wouldn’t be wasting your time on here but instead researching financial advisers. You can get 100 on BF Tories most seats. It’s largely thanks to you I’ve thrown a tenner that way as pretty fucking massive emotional hedge. But I expect to lose it.
    There seems to be a lot of gut feeling that what we are seeing cannot be what is really happening.

I'm not one to criticise that as a general approach, I tend to go by gut myself.

But when you break down all the factors at play, the apocalyptic scenarios look pretty plausuble to me.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,281
    Leon said:

I’ve just noticed my ferry to St Malo - pedestrian - costs £400 - for ONE person

Of course I’m not paying but who the heck would pay that when a flight is less than half and takes an hour rather than 10 hours? Keeps out the riff raff I guess

This is also my first ever trip to Portsmouth. To my intense surprise I quite like it. Gritty and port-y but with a hint of the spectacular. The sun glints on grey metal

Been bombed to bits and not entirely recovered. My favourite bits are Old Pourtsmouth - the Point where this cartoon was drawn - and the view from the outside coffee tables at Priddy's Hard (the old ammunition depot oppposite). And Portchester Castle.

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/788317
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,539

•Labour 40% (n/c)
    •Conservatives 20% (-3)
    •Reform 16% (+2)
    •Lib Dems 12% (n/c)
    •Greens 9% (+2)
    •SNP 3% (+1)

Getting battered

Still Tories also remain clearly ahead of Reform with Opinium too (again largely taken pre Farage on Panorama).

Not that brilliant for Labour either voteshare wise at least, only on Corbyn 2017 levels and 3% below Blair 1997 levels
  • Options
    Belgium score against Romania inside of 90 seconds!
  • Options

•Labour 40% (n/c)
    •Conservatives 20% (-3)
    •Reform 16% (+2)
    •Lib Dems 12% (n/c)
    •Greens 9% (+2)
    •SNP 3% (+1)

Getting battered

Swingbackback?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Farooq said:

Good evening

BS

@kle4
    Bring it on.

Who am I kidding? You'd chew me up in three posts flat. Truce?
    I'll sleep on it. Once roused, it is hard to switch it off.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,041
    edited June 22

Savanta

🌹Lab 42 (+2)
    🌳Con 19 (-2)
    ➡️Reform 16 (+2)
    🔶LD 9 (-2)
    🌍Green 5 (+1)
    🎗️SNP 3 (=)
    ⬜️Other 6 (+1)

2,103 UK adults

Another MOE survey but one that feels good for Labour despite being statistically insignificant.

There’s not much happening, is there?
    No,it's starting to look like 40/20/15/10....or near as dammit.

People have generally made up their minds by now so can't see much change coming in the remaining 12 days.
    40/20/15/10 is sub-100 seat territory for the Tories.
    With FPTP, Ben, that could easily be fifty seats out either way. We don't know how much impact tactical voting will have either, nor how Reform's contribution will play out.

I'm currently expecting about 125 Tory seats but I wouldn't bet on it. Too volatile.
    Good point. I'm relying on Electoral Calculus, I suspect it becomes meaningless at these sort of numbers.

Fun though.
    I'm quite a big fan of EC. As long as you don't take it too literally it provides a useful benchmark.

The main caveats concern Swingback and Tactical Voting. We're more or less past the point where the former is a factor, but we won't know about the latter until the fateful day.

I expect it won't actually make that much difference, nor will it necessarily be all the same way. On the whole though the Tories will be hoping it is a dog that doesn;t bark.

Edit: Damn. Missed the Belgium goal posting that.

Laters.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,333

•Labour 40% (n/c)
    •Conservatives 20% (-3)
    •Reform 16% (+2)
    •Lib Dems 12% (n/c)
    •Greens 9% (+2)
    •SNP 3% (+1)

Getting battered

Greens on 9 wow
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,553
    …..
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,362

ydoethur said:

carnforth said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

I am voting Tory to keep His Excellency The Right Honourable The Lord Cameron of Chipping Norton as Foreign Secretary otherwise I would have abstained.
    I don't know how to break it to you but your vote will *not* be keeping Dave at the Foreign Office.

As my friends and colleagues observed recently, I am more loyal to Dave than I was to my wife which I know isn't a great reflection on me but sums up my adoration for Dave.
    In a general?

*Before causing somebody to have a meltdown, that's a technical term for those who are not British or Irish nationals or Commonwealth citizens with leave to remain.

Technically, there is no law stating that the Queen or members of the royal family cannot vote.

However, Parliament guidelines state it is considered unconstitutional for the Monarch or their family to vote in an election.

The official royal guidelines say the Head of State "has to remain strictly neutral with respect to political matters" and is unable to vote or stand for election.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,128
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Farooq said:

Good evening

BS

Just stop being a total arsehole - there is no "us" here.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,062

ydoethur said:

carnforth said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

In a general?

If they are not sitting members of the House of Lords yes they do. Previously most of them were disenfranchised because their various titles gave them a seat in he upper house but that’s not been the case since 1999. Technically even the King can vote but the monarch does not do so in keeping with the no politics tradition.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Writing in the Daily Telegraph, the Reform UK leader said he had never been an "apologist or supporter of [Russian President Vladimir] Putin" but that "if you poke the Russian bear with a stick, don’t be surprised if he responds".

I'm not a believer in the axiom that you should 'ignore everything after the but'...but in this case I will make an exception.

He could have avoided even this minor furore if he was not a true believer, but clearly he is - he genuinely thinks democratic organisational expansion is justification for Russian invasions.

His protestations he is not an apologist are laughably insincere as he spews forth apologies over and over again.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,428

•Labour 40% (n/c)
    •Conservatives 20% (-3)
    •Reform 16% (+2)
    •Lib Dems 12% (n/c)
    •Greens 9% (+2)
    •SNP 3% (+1)

Getting battered

It's hotting up in that one Reform/Green marginal.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

If the movement cited dictated the votes of all concerned that would work out as a 1% or 2% closure of the gap. Meanwhile the three gold standard polling companies (on past record) have the gap at 17-21%. Thoush they do all also have the Cons 5-9% clear of Ref UK

Yes, I decided to ditch my usual subtle style and go for the clickbait headlines.
    I miss the Shakespeare.

Did you decide quoting Shakespeare was a custom more honoured in the breach than in the observance?

It was sheer luck that so many Macbeth quotes seemed apt for the Humza Yousaf ditching the Greens/getting replaced threads.
    Books will be written about how Richi chased the ebbing tide all the way out, and then got swamped

Neither do I. Shy Tories, Rishi's Labour tax bomb, don't knows, punish Nigel surge and don't let Labour get a landslide surgecould all happen.
    I was going to post that. It actually shows the opposite of what you’re saying. You need to let go of 1992 mate. This isn’t 1992. Labour might not wipe out the Tories but if you’re correct in your prognostications you wouldn’t be wasting your time on here but instead researching financial advisers. You can get 100 on BF Tories most seats. It’s largely thanks to you I’ve thrown a tenner that way as pretty fucking massive emotional hedge. But I expect to lose it.
    Hear hear. Every night I sway wildly from wondering whether Mexican is just a garden-variety troll and is trollcasting, or whether he is genuinely delusional. Either way, he clearly hasn’t explored the betting markets, which is odd given this is a betting site.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,307

ydoethur said:

carnforth said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

In a general?

Proposed electoral reform to modernise the nation:

Adopt the Eurovision voting system with the Royal Family playing the role of the judges. The points awarded by the Royals would count for 50% of the total.

Declarations would be made by videolink to a live venue where candidates would sit together in the green room.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 653

Savanta

🌹Lab 42 (+2)
    🌳Con 19 (-2)
    ➡️Reform 16 (+2)
    🔶LD 9 (-2)
    🌍Green 5 (+1)
    🎗️SNP 3 (=)
    ⬜️Other 6 (+1)

2,103 UK adults

Ha!

Lab 504
    LD 53
    Con 43
    SNP 21
    PC 4
    Ref 3
    Green 2
    Others 20
    SKS fans please explain
    Explain what that non MRP Polls are exaggerating the Lab lead?

If anyone wants to bet SKS will get over 500 seats I am happy to oppose that in a charity bet!

I reckon the 10pm Exit poll is going to be as big a shock to SKS fans as the 2017 one.

But we will see.
    There were plenty of polls in the run up to the 2017 election that were close to the final result.

YouGov did their first MRP I believe, and that was really close. I remember talking about it during the GOTV sessions during the day. The response on the doorstep in my own marginal was such that I doubt many Labour members who were knocking on doors were that shocked.

This time round, I doubt many expect that it will really be 500+ seats. I think most will be happy with any kind of solid majority.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,453

Sean_F said:

Savanta

🌹Lab 42 (+2)
    🌳Con 19 (-2)
    ➡️Reform 16 (+2)
    🔶LD 9 (-2)
    🌍Green 5 (+1)
    🎗️SNP 3 (=)
    ⬜️Other 6 (+1)

2,103 UK adults

I expect the next Deltapoll will place Reform ahead of the Conservatives.

No Prime Minister has been more hated than Sunak, in my lifetime.
    I am not a voting expert (I'm not an expert about anything really) but the inefficiency of the Reform vote (and the UKIP vote before it) is something that has only really fully become apparent to me this election. I really would have thought that it would be more efficient - a lot more focussed geographically in Brexity type left-behind towns. They are not anywhere in Scotland, that is surely a help. Not anywhere in London either. So I just can't fathom why that 16% is spreading out so thinly.
    Some of this is because there’s been a big swing to Labour in those sorts of areas and therefore that will block Reform’s way to the seats.

However, if Reform do manage to get themselves into the high teens on polling day, the chances are that they’ll do a bit better on seat count than expected, I suspect.

I would more than mildly amused if Reform won half a dozen seats but NOT Clacton!
  • Options

•Labour 40% (n/c)
    •Conservatives 20% (-3)
    •Reform 16% (+2)
    •Lib Dems 12% (n/c)
    •Greens 9% (+2)
    •SNP 3% (+1)

Getting battered

Lowest Opinium Tory score.

Ever.
  • Options
    edited June 22

•Labour 40% (n/c)
    •Conservatives 20% (-3)
    •Reform 16% (+2)
    •Lib Dems 12% (n/c)
    •Greens 9% (+2)
    •SNP 3% (+1)

Getting battered

Greens on 9 wow
    The Green support I find most difficult to explain. They are not a fringe political force, but they are not major either. I find it hard to believe all 'true' leftwing people are voting Green as Labour would not be at 40% with centre left and centre (and some centre right) alone. In the South the LDs poll better, and in most of the country the Greens are barely present even with some good local gains in the last few years.

So how are they getting to 9%?
  • Options
    edited June 22
    nova said:

Savanta

🌹Lab 42 (+2)
    🌳Con 19 (-2)
    ➡️Reform 16 (+2)
    🔶LD 9 (-2)
    🌍Green 5 (+1)
    🎗️SNP 3 (=)
    ⬜️Other 6 (+1)

2,103 UK adults

Ha!

Lab 504
    LD 53
    Con 43
    SNP 21
    PC 4
    Ref 3
    Green 2
    Others 20
    SKS fans please explain

If anyone wants to bet SKS will get over 500 seats I am happy to oppose that in a charity bet!

I reckon the 10pm Exit poll is going to be as big a shock to SKS fans as the 2017 one.

But we will see.
    There were plenty of polls in the run up to the 2017 election that were close to the final result.

YouGov did their first MRP I believe, and that was really close. I remember talking about it during the GOTV sessions during the day. The response on the doorstep in my own marginal was such that I doubt many Labour members who were knocking on doors were that shocked.

This time round, I doubt many expect that it will really be 500+ seats. I think most will be happy with any kind of solid majority.
    Even the official exit poll is going to struggle to model the complexity of this election. Kudos to them if the seat projections are anywhere close, especially for the minor parties.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm not a believer in the axiom that you should 'ignore everything after the but'...but in this case I will make an exception.

He could have avoided even this minor furore if he was not a true believer, but clearly he is - he genuinely thinks democratic organisational expansion is justification for Russian invasions.

His protestations he is not an apologist are laughably insincere as he spews forth apologies over and over again.
    The saying is that you ignore everything before the "but".

this feud is ON
  • Options

•Labour 40% (n/c)
    •Conservatives 20% (-3)
    •Reform 16% (+2)
    •Lib Dems 12% (n/c)
    •Greens 9% (+2)
    •SNP 3% (+1)

Getting battered

@BigJohnOwls fans please explain.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

carnforth said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

In a general?

Technically, there is no law stating that the Queen or members of the royal family cannot vote.

However, Parliament guidelines state it is considered unconstitutional for the Monarch or their family to vote in an election.

The official royal guidelines say the Head of State "has to remain strictly neutral with respect to political matters" and is unable to vote or stand for election.
    To be tested in 2029 as Prince William stands as head of the Royalist Party.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Savanta

🌹Lab 42 (+2)
    🌳Con 19 (-2)
    ➡️Reform 16 (+2)
    🔶LD 9 (-2)
    🌍Green 5 (+1)
    🎗️SNP 3 (=)
    ⬜️Other 6 (+1)

2,103 UK adults

I am not a voting expert (I'm not an expert about anything really) but the inefficiency of the Reform vote (and the UKIP vote before it) is something that has only really fully become apparent to me this election. I really would have thought that it would be more efficient - a lot more focussed geographically in Brexity type left-behind towns. They are not anywhere in Scotland, that is surely a help. Not anywhere in London either. So I just can't fathom why that 16% is spreading out so thinly.
    Some of this is because there’s been a big swing to Labour in those sorts of areas and therefore that will block Reform’s way to the seats.

However, if Reform do manage to get themselves into the high teens on polling day, the chances are that they’ll do a bit better on seat count than expected, I suspect.

I would more than mildly amused if Reform won half a dozen seats but NOT Clacton!
    That would be a bit of a banter result it has to be said.
  • Options

•Labour 40% (n/c)
    •Conservatives 20% (-3)
    •Reform 16% (+2)
    •Lib Dems 12% (n/c)
    •Greens 9% (+2)
    •SNP 3% (+1)

Getting battered

Greens on 9 wow
    It'll be astonishing if they get anywhere close to that.

Doesn't mean they're not in with a shout of holding their existing seat and winning all three targets though.

I think one of our posters also suggested the possibility of a freak result in one of the IoW seats, based on the Tory vote splintering in several directions at once.

Anyway, not beyond the realms of possibility that the Greens could win one quarter as many votes as Reform, but Reform could end up with one quarter as many seats as the Greens.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,207
    EPG said:

•Labour 40% (n/c)
    •Conservatives 20% (-3)
    •Reform 16% (+2)
    •Lib Dems 12% (n/c)
    •Greens 9% (+2)
    •SNP 3% (+1)

Getting battered

It's hotting up in that one Reform/Green marginal.
    That's two poor polls from pollsters (Savanta, Opinium) which have been generous to the Conservatives in times past.

I suspect that's a record low Conservative VI from Opinium (certainly under Sunak).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

•Labour 40% (n/c)
    •Conservatives 20% (-3)
    •Reform 16% (+2)
    •Lib Dems 12% (n/c)
    •Greens 9% (+2)
    •SNP 3% (+1)

Getting battered

Greens on 9 wow
    The Green support I find most difficult to explain. They are not a fringe political force, but they are not major either. I find it hard to believe all 'true' leftwing people are voting Green as Labour would not be at 40% with centre left and centre (and some centre right) alone. In the South the LDs poll better, and in most of the country the Greens are barely present even with some good local gains in the last few years.

A lot of support from younger voters once they’re confident the Tories are on their way out?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

carnforth said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

In a general?

How far down the tree does that go? Is Mike Tindall going to get criticised for popping in and voting Lib Dem? (he strikes me as a Lib Dem)
  • Options
    Nigel Farage would be more convincing in saying he is not Nigel Farage than saying he is not a Russian apologist.

After all, he probably says his own name less often than he says apologies for Russian atrocities.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,178
    There is something definitely in the water at Telegraph towers.

The media has led the country into an anti-Tory fervour

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/06/22/the-media-has-led-the-country-into-an-anti-tory-fervour/
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,418

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

I miss the Shakespeare.

The BBC has a standard script - they always say the same thing every GE.

I'm not joking. You watch a recording of the BBC1 10pm news the night before every GE in the last 30 to 40 years and they always say:

- Politicians all feeling nervous
    - They don't think polls match what they're hearing on the ground
    - Reports of unusual movements in marginals
    - Seat totals are very unpredictable if marginals are moving differently

Note they never ever say which way the movements are or which party is expecting to do better or worse than expected.

It's basically a standard playbook to cover all possible eventualities.
  • Options

•Labour 40% (n/c)
    •Conservatives 20% (-3)
    •Reform 16% (+2)
    •Lib Dems 12% (n/c)
    •Greens 9% (+2)
    •SNP 3% (+1)

Getting battered

Swingbackback?
    I think their methodology accounts for swingback so possibly just unwind as we are now only eleven days out.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Savanta

🌹Lab 42 (+2)
    🌳Con 19 (-2)
    ➡️Reform 16 (+2)
    🔶LD 9 (-2)
    🌍Green 5 (+1)
    🎗️SNP 3 (=)
    ⬜️Other 6 (+1)

2,103 UK adults

Ha!

Lab 504
    LD 53
    Con 43
    SNP 21
    PC 4
    Ref 3
    Green 2
    Others 20
    SKS fans please explain

But we will see.
    If you think that Labour is going to do worse in seats than it did when Corbyn humiliatingly lost the 2017 election to a dead duck like Theresa May I’m happy to offer real money. The party led by your boy failed to get as many votes as another party. That’s how politics fucking works. You still fail to grasp that even a good second place is the first loser don’t you?
    I have already got £100 at 8/1 with Sky Bet that SKS gets less than the 12.9m Jezza got in 2017 thanks.

Current price with them is now 10/11 did you miss the 8/1?
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 494
    felix said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Farooq said:

Good evening

BS

Just stop being a total arsehole - there is no "us" here.
    And if it's not deliberately it's not dishonest. I am guessing (not having been here long enough to know) that G's mental journey has been like mine. Post partygate and Pincher I would have laid me voting Tory at 100/1. Given my fear of supermajorities and Reform and my useful interactions with my Tory MP in the last year I will probably now do so. Tempora mutantur nos et mutamur in illis. Why is this hard to understand?
  • Options
    edited June 22

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/06/22/the-media-has-led-the-country-into-an-anti-tory-fervour/

The media can generally not make up its mind whether to believe the media has more influence than it does, -and thus think everything the media does is important - or whether to believe the media (usually the other side of it) no longer has the kind of influence people (mostly politicians) claim it has.

I'll say the same thing when Corbynites moaned in the same way - it's the job of a politician to overcome a hostile media, if one is faced, not cry about it.

But maybe they in particular are just realising than boosting Reform and Farage may have negative consequences.
  • Options

They've been drinking their own piss.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,780

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/gen-z-millennial-voting-election-b2566728.html
    Youth voter strike on the cards. Won't help the super majority

Don't vote, can't moan.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

carnforth said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

In a general?

How far down the tree does that go? Is Mike Tindall going to get criticised for popping in and voting Lib Dem? (he strikes me as a Lib Dem)
    Prince Harry outed himself as a Corbynite in his book
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,180
    Leon said:

I’ve just noticed my ferry to St Malo - pedestrian - costs £400 - for ONE person

Of course I’m not paying but who the heck would pay that when a flight is less than half and takes an hour rather than 10 hours? Keeps out the riff raff I guess

This is also my first ever trip to Portsmouth. To my intense surprise I quite like it. Gritty and port-y but with a hint of the spectacular. The sun glints on grey metal

Brittany Ferries do that sometimes on the Saint Malo route. They can fill the ship with motorists, who pay full whack for car+cabin. If you travel by foot/bike, you're taking up a cabin that would otherwise be used by a higher-paying motorist, so they're passing up revenue.

So either they say "sorry, no foot/bike spaces available" or they charge you something not far off the car rate.
  • Options

•Labour 40% (n/c)
    •Conservatives 20% (-3)
    •Reform 16% (+2)
    •Lib Dems 12% (n/c)
    •Greens 9% (+2)
    •SNP 3% (+1)

Getting battered

Lowest Opinium Tory score.

Ever.
    I don't believe that. The next one will probably be worse.

But I believe it is the lowest score to date.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

carnforth said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

In a general?

And, separately, a bit of a fool and an oversharer.
  • Options
    edited June 22

DougSeal said:

Savanta

🌹Lab 42 (+2)
    🌳Con 19 (-2)
    ➡️Reform 16 (+2)
    🔶LD 9 (-2)
    🌍Green 5 (+1)
    🎗️SNP 3 (=)
    ⬜️Other 6 (+1)

2,103 UK adults

Ha!

Lab 504
    LD 53
    Con 43
    SNP 21
    PC 4
    Ref 3
    Green 2
    Others 20
    SKS fans please explain

But we will see.
    If you think that Labour is going to do worse in seats than it did when Corbyn humiliatingly lost the 2017 election to a dead duck like Theresa May I’m happy to offer real money. The party led by your boy failed to get as many votes as another party. That’s how politics fucking works. You still fail to grasp that even a good second place is the first loser don’t you?
    I have already got £100 at 8/1 with Sky Bet that SKS gets less than the 12.9m Jezza got in 2017 thanks.

You spectacularly miss the point I’m making. The 12m Corbyn got in 2017 was less than the 13.6m May’s Tories got. He lost. He fucked up. He’s a failure who condemned us to a whole series of Tory victories. This is about beating the Conservatives, not history. How much have you got on the result that matters, you strange Tory helper?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

I miss the Shakespeare.

The BBC has a standard script - they always say the same thing every GE.

I'm not joking. You watch a recording of the BBC1 10pm news the night before every GE in the last 30 to 40 years and they always say:

- Politicians all feeling nervous
    - They don't think polls match what they're hearing on the ground
    - Reports of unusual movements in marginals
    - Seat totals are very unpredictable if marginals are moving differently

Note they never ever say which way the movements are or which party is expecting to do better or worse than expected.

It's basically a standard playbook to cover all possible eventualities.
    Well now you've gone and spoiled all the fun, it's like revealing a magic trick.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,221

ydoethur said:

carnforth said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

In a general?

Adopt the Eurovision voting system with the Royal Family playing the role of the judges. The points awarded by the Royals would count for 50% of the total.

Declarations would be made by videolink to a live venue where candidates would sit together in the green room.
    Can we make it like 1990s Eurovision, where the votes for some of the more distant members of the RF sound like they're being sent from Malta using paper cups connected with waxed string?

Allo Prince Richard, Allo Prince Richard? Quels sont les votes du jury du Prince Richard?
  • Options
    pigeon said:

•Labour 40% (n/c)
    •Conservatives 20% (-3)
    •Reform 16% (+2)
    •Lib Dems 12% (n/c)
    •Greens 9% (+2)
    •SNP 3% (+1)

Getting battered

Greens on 9 wow
    It'll be astonishing if they get anywhere close to that.

Doesn't mean they're not in with a shout of holding their existing seat and winning all three targets though.

I think one of our posters also suggested the possibility of a freak result in one of the IoW seats, based on the Tory vote splintering in several directions at once.

Anyway, not beyond the realms of possibility that the Greens could win one quarter as many votes as Reform, but Reform could end up with one quarter as many seats as the Greens.
    I think Birkenhead may be a surprise Green gain DYOR
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,070

You would have thought a conservative newspaper would insist on "the media have..."
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,780
    edited June 22
    HYUFD said:

•Labour 40% (n/c)
    •Conservatives 20% (-3)
    •Reform 16% (+2)
    •Lib Dems 12% (n/c)
    •Greens 9% (+2)
    •SNP 3% (+1)

Getting battered

Still Tories also remain clearly ahead of Reform with Opinium too (again largely taken pre Farage on Panorama).

Not that brilliant for Labour either voteshare wise at least, only on Corbyn 2017 levels and 3% below Blair 1997 levels
    My Labour 39% the day the election was called looking very close.

The 33% for the Tories? Not so much. But they will still be WELL above 20%. They have not lost north of half their vote since 2019. No way.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,126
    In case anyone wants a nosey, Sky News at 19:48

https://www.youtube.com/live/oJUvTVdTMyY?si=HPFr0xOPMJb65inZ
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,666
    Asking for a friend. What's the magic number when majority becomes "super-majority"?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

carnforth said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

In a general?

Doesn’t surprise me. They both hate Britain.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,360

Sean_F said:

Savanta

🌹Lab 42 (+2)
    🌳Con 19 (-2)
    ➡️Reform 16 (+2)
    🔶LD 9 (-2)
    🌍Green 5 (+1)
    🎗️SNP 3 (=)
    ⬜️Other 6 (+1)

2,103 UK adults

because reform (and UKIP before that) have no ground game. i.e. they don't know how to win a FPTP election.
  • Options

•Labour 40% (n/c)
    •Conservatives 20% (-3)
    •Reform 16% (+2)
    •Lib Dems 12% (n/c)
    •Greens 9% (+2)
    •SNP 3% (+1)

Getting battered

Explain that Lab are going to get less votes than 2017.

Massive win on my only decent size bet this GE
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,207

Back to Stodge's Tenth Law of Politics - you may hope and believe something can't happen but that usually means it will.

It was the same in 1997 - Labour didn't believe what was happening because nothing like it had happened before. The Conservatives were the same. Both were saying even on the cusp of polling day it was close etc, etc.

Others knew but didn't believe what their eyes, ears and data were telling them.

It's a similar position now - nobody believes Labour will get 500 seats and the Conservatives 100 seats and yet the data and anecdotal information they must be seeing at Labour and Conservative HQ will be telling them something they still refuse to accept.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,904

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Greensill.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,063

Asking for a friend. What's the magic number when majority becomes "super-majority"?

When the new PM shows up with his underpants on the outside of his trousers...
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202

•Labour 40% (n/c)
    •Conservatives 20% (-3)
    •Reform 16% (+2)
    •Lib Dems 12% (n/c)
    •Greens 9% (+2)
    •SNP 3% (+1)

Getting battered

My suspicion is Opinium methodology harsh on Labour, generous for Greens. Certainly their recent methodology change week dropped Labour -4 or more same moment everyone else had them static or up. 61% LLG would not surprise me if TV gave us Lab 44 Lib Dem 15 in actual result. Don’t bet on Labour ending in 30s when poll of polls still has Labour in 40s before TV.
  • Options
    jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 728
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Been bombed to bits and not entirely recovered. My favourite bits are Old Pourtsmouth - the Point where this cartoon was drawn - and the view from the outside coffee tables at Priddy's Hard (the old ammunition depot oppposite). And Portchester Castle.

Portchester Castle is the distillation of English history.
    Saxon shore fort built.by the Romans 1600 years ago.
    Rebuilt by Henry Ii iirc.
    Part of Henry V's fleet set sail from here for France.
    Surrounded by Georgian houses.
    Used for Napoleonic prisoners of war who built a theatre in the keep.
    Victorian church in the bailey.
    Cricket ground in the bailey still in use.
    Stand atop the keep and see the whole of Portsmouth harbour.

One of my favourite places in the world.
  • Options

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/gen-z-millennial-voting-election-b2566728.html

Don't vote, can't moan.
    Huge numbers of younger people feel disenfranchised by the political parties and are not going to vote, exclusive polling for The Independent shows.

According to research carried out by Techne UK, around four in 10 people – 41 per cent – aged 18 to 34 have either not registered to vote (24 per cent) or are registered but have decided not to go to the ballot box (17 per cent) next month.

It's curious how some people will always vote no matter how disappointed, whilst others may not even start and it becomes a habit.

I get feeling like the young are getting shafted - I'm only just out of that demographic band myself, and it is true - but without wanting to pin the blame on them, sitting things out strikes me as an ineffective way of changing that.

Governments will continue to get elected, and if they can do so despite younger people not turning out, that will inevitably have an impact on what actions they take.

Or already has.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

•Labour 40% (n/c)
    •Conservatives 20% (-3)
    •Reform 16% (+2)
    •Lib Dems 12% (n/c)
    •Greens 9% (+2)
    •SNP 3% (+1)

Getting battered

Greens on 9 wow

Anecdotally, from friends who are in the party, young urban voters who are disgusted at Labour's Palestine stance are an important part of that swing. If that's a bulk of their vote share, I feel like it could really help in Bristol but not the other target seats. I'm tempted to punt on Greens at exactly 2 seats, but there's a strong risk my information is too anecdotal to put money on. I can imaging middle-aged rural voters disgusted at [gestures at everything the Conservatives have been doing] are also an important part of that rise, I just haven't heard anything along those lines.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

It might not bite. There are probably enough people who agree with him, or who think the Russian invasion is a bit shit but it's not our responsibility to get involved.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,538

Leon said:

Brittany Ferries do that sometimes on the Saint Malo route. They can fill the ship with motorists, who pay full whack for car+cabin. If you travel by foot/bike, you're taking up a cabin that would otherwise be used by a higher-paying motorist, so they're passing up revenue.

So either they say "sorry, no foot/bike spaces available" or they charge you something not far off the car rate.
    Is there a seat-only price? Sometimes, in warmer climes, a "deck space" is available, where you take a sleeping bag and sleep outside.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,063
    edited June 22

They've been drinking their own piss.
    Does Casino still boil his? Maybe he could get a contract to supply the Torygraph...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,178
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Greensill.
    He was cleared of any wrongdoing.

https://news.sky.com/story/david-cameron-cleared-of-breaking-lobbying-rules-after-allegedly-texting-sunak-over-greensill-12257682
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,856
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

There are many big and little gems in Portsmouth - and many areas of extreme shittiness. I was there a few weeks ago, and I think it's improved in the last fifteen years, since we got married there (not that there's a connection...). Like many urban areas, its problems are hard to solve. But the reduced role of the Royal Navy in the west of the city, and the increasing tourism, helps massively.

They ought to make more of the Brunel connection though, and Dickens. Oh, and Arnie lived there for a period as well! I wonder if he'll be back?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,196
    Has Johnny Mercer been vindicated? I noticed people were calling him all sorts yesterday.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,666
    kle4 said:

Don't vote, can't moan.
    Huge numbers of younger people feel disenfranchised by the political parties and are not going to vote, exclusive polling for The Independent shows.

According to research carried out by Techne UK, around four in 10 people – 41 per cent – aged 18 to 34 have either not registered to vote (24 per cent) or are registered but have decided not to go to the ballot box (17 per cent) next month.

It's curious how some people will always vote no matter how disappointed, whilst others may not even start and it becomes a habit.

I get feeling like the young are getting shafted - I'm only just out of that demographic band myself, and it is true - but without wanting to pin the blame on them, sitting things out strikes me as an ineffective way of changing that.

Governments will continue to get elected, and if they can do so despite younger people not turning out, that will inevitably have an impact on what actions they take.

Or already has.
    Rishi not suggesting we should start adding points to their driving licences for not voting, or removing their access to bank accounts?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Back to Stodge's Tenth Law of Politics - you may hope and believe something can't happen but that usually means it will.

It was the same in 1997 - Labour didn't believe what was happening because nothing like it had happened before. The Conservatives were the same. Both were saying even on the cusp of polling day it was close etc, etc.

Others knew but didn't believe what their eyes, ears and data were telling them.

It's a similar position now - nobody believes Labour will get 500 seats and the Conservatives 100 seats and yet the data and anecdotal information they must be seeing at Labour and Conservative HQ will be telling them something they still refuse to accept.
    Starting from the numbers is just not the right way to do things

Mayor of Hiroshima: no single bomb in history has ever caused 1% of the number of casualties you claim. Your report can safely be ignored

Manchester CID: that would be 25 times as many murders as the previous record for a GP. Safe to close this file.

Etc etc
  • Options

In case anyone wants a nosey, Sky News at 19:48

https://www.youtube.com/live/oJUvTVdTMyY?si=HPFr0xOPMJb65inZ

It's that chap from YouTube who's always rambling on about his car!
  • Options
    LloydBanksLloydBanks Posts: 23
    Completely off topic, but the dominance of Flemish speakers in Belgium's national teams has always confused me. There's no cultural or demographic reason for it
  • Options

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

It might not bite. There are probably enough people who agree with him, or who think the Russian invasion is a bit shit but it's not our responsibility to get involved.
    No might about it, I'm very sure it won't bite.

But I hope the corpse of the Tories after the election tries to resist him a bit rather than just bends over.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,856

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

When I walked past it for the first time in late 2002, there were a pile of cannon dumped near the wall. I've never found them again - presumably they were moved.

It's easy to stand on the keep's roof and look out, and wonder what the Romans would have seen from the lower walls, or the medieval knights from the top of the keep.

It's a magnificent place.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Savanta

🌹Lab 42 (+2)
    🌳Con 19 (-2)
    ➡️Reform 16 (+2)
    🔶LD 9 (-2)
    🌍Green 5 (+1)
    🎗️SNP 3 (=)
    ⬜️Other 6 (+1)

2,103 UK adults

Ha!

Lab 504
    LD 53
    Con 43
    SNP 21
    PC 4
    Ref 3
    Green 2
    Others 20
    SKS fans please explain

But we will see.

You spectacularly miss the point I’m making. The 12m Corbyn got in 2017 was less than the 13.6m May’s Tories got. He lost. He fucked up. He’s a failure who condemned us to a whole series of Tory victories. This is about beating the Conservatives, not history. How much have you got on the result that matters, you strange Tory helper?
    Er this is a betting site. BJO should be betting on results that offer value, not on what he wants to happen
  • Options

Reminds me of Alan Partridge talking to a super rich guy. Not that he was super rich, just a rich guy who happened to be super.
  • Options

Has Johnny Mercer been vindicated? I noticed people were calling him all sorts yesterday.

No. His opponent had been slightly overly bigged up by an incompetent journalist, but is basically in the clear. Mercer is a twat and very bad at social media polemics.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

carnforth said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

In a general?

And, separately, a bit of a fool and an oversharer.
    I enjoyed the read.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,307
    Keith Vaz is pulling out all the stops to win in Leicester:

https://x.com/ub1ub2/status/1804552866490659093
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Savanta

🌹Lab 42 (+2)
    🌳Con 19 (-2)
    ➡️Reform 16 (+2)
    🔶LD 9 (-2)
    🌍Green 5 (+1)
    🎗️SNP 3 (=)
    ⬜️Other 6 (+1)

2,103 UK adults

Ha!

Lab 504
    LD 53
    Con 43
    SNP 21
    PC 4
    Ref 3
    Green 2
    Others 20
    SKS fans please explain

But we will see.

Er this is a betting site. BJO should be betting on results that offer value, not on what he wants to happen
    Also, if be bet on Starmer having an accident, the police might be round to visit.
  • Options
    AlsoLei said:

ydoethur said:

carnforth said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

In a general?

Can we make it like 1990s Eurovision, where the votes for some of the more distant members of the RF sound like they're being sent from Malta using paper cups connected with waxed string?

Allo Prince Richard, Allo Prince Richard? Quels sont les votes du jury du Prince Richard?
    There hasn’t been Prince Richard since Richard III, has there?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 16,211

I was planning on campaigning for a few Tory MPs at the election even if I wasn't voting Tory sadly they either stood down and I ended up with the emergency surgery that has left me hors de combat.

I love campaigning and knocking up the voters on election day.

Sorry you are indisposed at this exciting electoral moment.

But nevertheless MUST deplore your characterization of your no-doubt devoted care staff as "hors de combat".

Get well soon - or at least better sooner - and am sure you'll shortly be back to knocking up carefully-targeted voters in your accustomed style.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Greensill.

https://news.sky.com/story/david-cameron-cleared-of-breaking-lobbying-rules-after-allegedly-texting-sunak-over-greensill-12257682
    Oh come on.

Irrespective, he got into bed with a total crook.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Greensill.

Stand by your man.
  • Options

Completely off topic, but the dominance of Flemish speakers in Belgium's national teams has always confused me. There's no cultural or demographic reason for it

59% of Belgians are Dutch speakers.
  • Options

Keith Vaz is pulling out all the stops to win in Leicester:

https://x.com/ub1ub2/status/1804552866490659093

Any chance the recall petition he avoided by resigning from Parliament in 2019 could be started up?

A cursory glance at his political history reveals him to be too corrupt and scummy even for the British Parliament.
  • Options

No. His opponent had been slightly overly bigged up by an incompetent journalist, but is basically in the clear. Mercer is a twat and very bad at social media polemics.
    And I don't think he has explained how he apparently knows the other guy hasn't been in combat
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Greensill.

As were Blair and Campbell over Kelly's suicide. Huzzah.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Greensill.

Whitewash?
  • Options

AlsoLei said:

ydoethur said:

carnforth said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

In a general?

There hasn’t been Prince Richard since Richard III, has there?
    HRH Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester, cousin of the late Queen
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Greensill.

Oh come on.

Irrespective, he got into bed with a total crook.
    Last refuge of a scoundrel is to act as though failure to break the law means nothing could have been done that was wrong.

Most normal people know that not being a criminal is a baseline expectation, expecially for those in public life.
  • Options

59% of Belgians are Dutch speakers.
    Isn’t that usually described as Flemish?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,329

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Also, the site of the now sadly defunct "Mighty Fine" pub. Once voted Britain's roughest pub where the stripper would gob in your mouth for a fiver on "Forces Only" nights. At one point the bouncer was a dwarf who would regularly get hung on a coat hook from which eyrie he would lash out in impotent rage at anybody within range with a pool cue. The landlord was trans years before JK Rowling started going on about them.