Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Parties – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,347
    PJH said:

I note the collective thinking about where extra tax revenue might (needs to?) come from.

As an aside I have recently been upgrading my wardrobe and have been persuaded to raise my game from buying cheap T-shirts from the supermarket or multi-buys from M&S if I'm feeling extravagant.

I find to my astonishment that it is possible to buy a plain T-shirt for £100! Who are these people that do this? I would expect to get 5 or 6 for that amount, minimum. Anyway, those are the people who can afford to find a bit more but how do you identify them?

And I'm sorry in advance to Messrs Hilfiger, Boss et al if your sales slump. Or you could try sensible pricing.

It must be glorious to have the job of trying to create and market new Veblen goods. Can we market a £5 tee shirt at £500; can we market a coffee mug for £400; a beer for £40 a pint. Profit wise it's a perpetual motion machine. Nice work if you can get it.

But personally I find Primark a bit pricey.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,425

TimS said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

@hzeffman
    Breaking: The Conservatives accepted £5 million from the controversial donor Frank Hester's company in January, new Electoral Commission figures show.

It follows £10 million of donations last year

Perhaps, but Labours going to take £2000 from every voter.

Probably more.
    Quite possible, given the precedent our current government has just set.

The average household is paying £3,500 more in tax now than in 2019. The biggest tax raising parliament in UK history.

And I don’t blame the Tories for doing this. They probably should have raised more. Our public infrastructure, services and local government are on their knees after years of no investment.
    Or were raising record taxes but spending it on the wrong things.
    What would CoE Alanbrooke have stopped spending money on?

Woke diversity consultants in the NHS?
    I answered this yesterday - some examples

Major cutback on Quangos theres £82billion to go at
    Restructure the BoE debt
    No new IT projects for the duration of parliament - they always overrun
    Reform MoD procurement for more value for money
    Restore public sector productivity instead of losing 2% a year

The government spends £1200 billion a year. If youre saying you couldnt find efficiencies in that sum then stay away from management.

If you dont actively go looking for savings you wont find them.

And just to finish off some of the savings need to be put back in to spending on issues like infrastructure which longer term create further savings through productivity
    Total airy-fairy nonsense. With the exception of 'No new IT projects' those are all on a par with Sunak's 'cracking down on tax avoidance and evasion'. Taking Quangos for example, you need to list all the quangos that are going to be cut, how much each will save, and what, if any, downsides there are.
    Sorry just off a conf call.

There are over 750 quangos and yes you have to list the ones you want to ditch. Nobody in government wants to kill them off so they dont look. But lets kick off with OBR, The country functioned without it, it's an Osborne wheeze, it will stop Reeves doing anything and it duplicates other government forecasters. I'd love to tell you how much that saves but it doesnt publish figures.

And as I if you dont start looking it isnt just going to fall in to your lap.

Anyway Im off for liquid lunch in Brum so have a nice morning.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,526

* Labour has a 20-point lead over the Conservatives, on 43 per cent, compared to the Tories on 23 per cent, Green Party and Reform UK both on nine per cent, and Liberal Democrats eight per cent.

* Sir Keir maintains his clear lead over Mr Sunak as the “most capable Prime Minister” by 46 per cent to 22 per cent, compared to 44 per cent to 22 per cent last month.

* But nearly half of adults, 49 per cent still say they do not know what the Labour leader stands for, with only 32 per cent disagreeing, both figures little changed since February. The respective figures for Mr Sunak are 41 per cent, down five points, and 38 per cent, similar to February.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/general-election-poll-latest-keir-starmer-rishi-sunak-labour-conservatives-b1162487.html

Not really much to say other than this is a disaster for the Tories. If they hadn't done Truss/Sunak they might have been in with a chance.

They're fighting to get a 97/01 result now, and avoid the abyss
  • Options
    Tories accepted further £5m from controversial donor Frank Hester in Jan, new Electoral Commission figures confirm.

It brings total from their biggest donor, who @rowenamason revealed said looking at Diane Abbott makes you ‘want to hate all black women’, to £15m.

https://x.com/PippaCrerar/status/1798603704737939898

Diane Abbott was causing Labour bad news so the Tories have stepped in to get the public back on her (and Labour's) side.

There must be a mole in CCHQ, there is simply no other explanation.
  • Options

Tories accepted further £5m from controversial donor Frank Hester in Jan, new Electoral Commission figures confirm.

It brings total from their biggest donor, who @rowenamason revealed said looking at Diane Abbott makes you ‘want to hate all black women’, to £15m.

Diane Abbott was causing Labour bad news so the Tories have stepped in to get the public back on her (and Labour's) side.

No, the donation was in January, it had already happened when the row exploded, the figures have just come out as they always would today.
  • Options

No, the donation was in January, it had already happened when the row exploded, the figures have just come out as they always would today.
    The Tories must have known it would resurface in the campaign. There is a Labour mole, I am sure of it.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,941
    algarkirk said:

PJH said:

I note the collective thinking about where extra tax revenue might (needs to?) come from.

As an aside I have recently been upgrading my wardrobe and have been persuaded to raise my game from buying cheap T-shirts from the supermarket or multi-buys from M&S if I'm feeling extravagant.

I find to my astonishment that it is possible to buy a plain T-shirt for £100! Who are these people that do this? I would expect to get 5 or 6 for that amount, minimum. Anyway, those are the people who can afford to find a bit more but how do you identify them?

And I'm sorry in advance to Messrs Hilfiger, Boss et al if your sales slump. Or you could try sensible pricing.

It must be glorious to have the job of trying to create and market new Veblen goods. Can we market a £5 tee shirt at £500; can we market a coffee mug for £400; a beer for £40 a pint. Profit wise it's a perpetual motion machine. Nice work if you can get it.

Everything's spenny these days. Try going to the theatre and paying retail. Extraordinary. Stick a US mini-series star in there and double it.

Plus there's that fantastic "Luxx" mag from the Times every Saturday or so. Watches at around £30,000 and the rest.

But it's all just relative. What @PJH spends on a t-shirt amounts to what a non-trivial proportion of the planet has to live on in a week. I don't mind if someone spends thirty grand on a watch because it will only be X% of their income.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 51,082
    Andy_JS said:

Am I the only one on here that has taken the 8/1 from SkyBet on SKS getting fewer actual votes than the 12.9m in 2017?

Is 8/1 not fantastic value?

No, it could be a good bet if turnout is down..
    The last election had 47m registered and a turnout of 67% = c.32m votes.
    2017 election had 47m registered and a turnout of 69% = c.33m votes.
    Corbyn’s 12.9m was 40%

So if we assume 48m registered, but a turnout of say 60% (as in 2001), that’s 28.8m votes in total, so 12.9m votes is just under 45%

At 8/1 that’s actually a pretty good bet. @bigjohnowls

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_United_Kingdom_general_election
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/1050929/voter-turnout-in-the-uk/
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,525
    Quite a difference in the Construction PMIs:

UK 54.7
    Italy 49.0
    France 43.4
    EuroZone 42.9
    Germany 38.5

Growth in the UK construction sector gained momentum during May, with activity and new business increasing at
    sharper rates than in April. Rising workloads prompted renewed expansions in purchasing activity and employment, while business confidence also strengthened.

Eurozone construction activity remained in a steep slump during May, according to the latest HCOB PMI® survey data, as new orders continued to fall sharply. The downturn led to the quickest drop in construction jobs in four years, while purchases and subcontractor use also decreased markedly.

https://www.pmi.spglobal.com/Public/Release/PressReleases

If we were still in the EU we would be getting another wave of 'Polish plumbers'.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,681
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Jeremy Hunt speaks up and it's like a breath of fresh air
    The evidence of Britain is that elections are always won from the centre ground and I think in a two-party system that will always be the case. We’ll always be a broad church, and I think that’s a good thing.

There it is. The Conservative Party is still in there somewhere. They missed a trick in not making him leader. Too late now, just another of history's "what if"s.

Jeremy Hunt is another rich pathetic spineless centrist public school rentier dork. He’d be like Sunak without the agreeable common touch and interestingly metrosexual clothing

He’d be like Cameron without all the sound self assessment and measured humility. Boris without the gravitas and probity. The Tories are doomed beyond doomed if they keep plugging away at this centrist shit that no one wants

Europe shows the future. It will be fought between left and populist right. Britain will get a successful populist right party in the end, it’s up to the Tories whether it is them or a party that replaces them
    He's not a rentier (even if we accept the slur); he built his own business.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,765
    algarkirk said:

PJH said:

I’m rather surprised that the OP is surprised. Paul Smith T-shirts have been around a long, long time.

I recall a certain anger from some quarters when it became clear that an EV saloon car could beat their “shiny dick with 2 chairs” on the quarter mile.

I have wondered whether Blue Mountain Civet coffee at £1000 per 100g might work as a business plan.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,356
    edited June 6
    Taz said:
    As only one of the figures with the Hitler moustaches are Jewish I can understand why they didn't see it as anti Semitic. John Cleese used to do Hitler moustache spoofs all the time. Tasteless isn't the same as anti semitic.
  • Options
    https://x.com/montie/status/1798409853230006686

Tim Montgomerie hypothesises that the election was called to enforce certain Rishi favoured candidates in seats the Tories think they will hold.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 40,000

More from @IpsosUK poll today. Jump in the number saying Keir Starmer's Labour party is 'ready for government'

47% now say Labour ready.

Equal to record high for Starmer's Labour and what David Cameron was getting before entering number 10.

https://x.com/keiranpedley/status/1798626114795192521

Sounds to me like the public have rapidly made up their mind.

There is no doubt whatsoever that Starmer will be PM on the 5th July
    But still a wide window on the margin. That's where the interest and excitement is. Are we looking at a routine Thatcher Blair type landslide or something more exotic?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,523
    D Day memorial incredibly moving as they read the words of veterans who were there and are there today.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,341

Am I the only one on here that has taken the 8/1 from SkyBet on SKS getting fewer actual votes than the 12.9m in 2017?

I agree that you have found a great bet there. Even if we manage to get a higher vote share, a reduction in turnout will make you a winner. Good luck!
  • Options

The Tories must have known it would resurface in the campaign. There is a Labour mole, I am sure of it.
    I'm not sure where you get the mole from? The figures were due out today, what's a Labour mole got to do with it?
    They didn't return the 10 million so why would they worry about the 5 million? They clearly don't give a toss how it looks.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 12,097

I agree it's fantastic value but I checked yesterday after you flagged it and it was nowhere near 8/1 any more! I think it was 7/4.
  • Options

I'm not sure where you get the mole from? The figures were due out today, what's a Labour mole got to do with it?
    They didn't return the 10 million so why would they worry about the 5 million? They clearly don't give a toss how it looks.
    The fact they took it at all baffles me. And then they didn't give it back!

That's where the mole comes in, somebody is advising them against all common sense.
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 987

If the Tories do parachute Him in, which flavour of milkshake do you recommend I buy?

Vanilla, Chocolate, Banana, Strawberry or Salted Caramel?

https://wimpy.uk.com/menus/drinks

Not sure what you mean but I hope it is not connected to the widely condemned milk shake attack on Farage

Its a joke. Besides Farage appears to have set up the milkshake "attack" for publicity. And it worked beautifully.
    You are a lib dem candidate joking about milkshakes attacks?
    "Milkshake attacks". The work of the milkshake Taliban? Take it easy BigG. Think instead about Labour chaos in Wales and how that might play out in the GE and deliver Rishi a hatful of seats, or maybe not.
    Good morning

The sad part about Gething is yet again another politician, this time a labour First Minister, deciding to ignore a vonc and carry on and at the same time has received the backing of Starmer

It will not change the GE result of a wipe out of conservative mps, but what is depressing is there seems to be no consequences for the lack of integrity amongst our leaders.

I notice Drakeford had a furious row with his colleagues over dropping the change to Welsh children's school holiday times as he arrogantly said it was his legacy, one which he hadn't been put out to public consultation and now the Welsh government has and found it to be unpopular especially with teachers so much so it will not be revisited until after the 2026 Senedd election

On another issue Ed Davey has come out this morning condemning labours vat raid on private schools which the Lib Dems do not support
    There was three reasons for Gething's VoNC on the motion.

1) Accepting a donation from a businessman who has been convicted of environmental crimes.
    2) Deleting his Covid-era WhatsApp messages
    3) Sacking a minister and not disclosing the reason.

My own view is that 1 and 2 are enough to vote no-confidence. 3 is nothing, a political leader should have free rein to select who they want in their cabinet and that goes if you're PM, FM or just a leader of a district council.

Now, Sunak's taken £15m from someone who wants an MP shot (someone's been sent to prison for threatening Caroline Nokes just yesterday). As you're very exercised over a milkshake, you surely are concerned about people who want people shot? Sunak's deleted his Covid-era WhatsApp messages too.

I don't think that it's good for our politics to point to the other side and say that they do it too so I think that Gething should step down because he has lost his moral authority to lead. This could be a turning point in our politics for the better. I hope that you agree with me that Sunak should at least apologise for his misdeeds.

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,697

TimS said:

What public services do the Tories plan to cut to fund the gaps on their own spending plans?

Spending plans which, as always, assume fuel duty will be unfrozen (yeah right).

The Tories are an entirely known entity. There will be a tax threshold freeze and spending restraint in pay and in CSR.

Labour are not.
    The Tories may be many things, but an entirely known entity is definitively not one of them.
    I don't think that's true. I think it's pretty clear what they'd do, fiscally, over another 5-year term: I'd expect the tax threshold freeze to end and the structural deficit to be eliminated.
    They've changed Prime Minister after each of the last three elections, the last time twice, and with increasingly large changes of policy.

You're seeing what you want to see.
  • Options
    More from @IpsosUK

How much trouble is Rishi Sunak in? Look at his leader satisfaction ratings going into a General Election vs past Prime Ministers...

https://x.com/keiranpedley/status/1798628603330166935

Every marker is pointing to a 1997 result. I know we don't believe it - well some of us don't - but it's time to consider that it really is going to happen on current trends.
  • Options

That's where the mole comes in, somebody is advising them against all common sense.
    They took it before the story happened. They can't afford to give it back.
    And Welsh Labour have just yesterday shown us dodgy donations have no consequences, they even supercede VONCs. The whole system is rotten.
  • Options
    All of this confirms to me that if the Tories had a centrist candidate that people like me could vote for, they'd be walking this.
  • Options

And Welsh Labour have just yesterday shown us dodgy donations have no consequences, they even supercede VONCs. The whole system is rotten.
    Welsh Labour is a joke.
  • Options

Welsh Labour is a joke.
    Politics is a joke.
  • Options

More from @IpsosUK

How much trouble is Rishi Sunak in? Look at his leader satisfaction ratings going into a General Election vs past Prime Ministers...

Every marker is pointing to a 1997 result. I know we don't believe it - well some of us don't - but it's time to consider that it really is going to happen on current trends.

Yep, I think we end up with a 15 point labour win and 1997ish seat totals
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 453

Morning, first phone poll is out, Ipsos
    🚨 1st GE poll from @IpsosUK has Labour lead at +20 🚨

Labour 43%
    Conservative 23%
    Reform 9%
    Greens 9%
    Lib Dems 8%
    Others 8%

1,014 GB adults interviewed by phone
    Fieldwork dates 31st May - 4th June

Fairly old poll though. Be good to see some with fieldwork 5-6 June, post debate and Faragasm.
    Yeah this - surely Farage re entry - which came towards the end of that fieldwork - is significant here.

Any polls coming out soon that contain that?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,525
    Nigeria's economy seems to be disintegrating with inflation, a general strike and its monthly minimum wage now not much more than the UK's hourly minimum wage:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-68402662

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffvrp31Rb-c

Perhaps Nigerian is vastly overpopulated for its economic capacity ?
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,111

Tim Montgomerie hypothesises that the election was called to enforce certain Rishi favoured candidates in seats the Tories think they will hold.

Tim Montgomerie is somewhat quixotic; actually scrap that he’s completely and utterly mental, as in pay three farthings to point and laugh at the gibbering Bedlam inmate mental.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,783

D Day memorial incredibly moving as they read the words of veterans who were there and are there today.

I usually avoid WW2 docs and run for the hills from docs with re-enactments but I read a blistering review of BBC’s “D-Day, the unheard tapes” in the Guardian and thought that if they were creaming over it it’s either brilliant or focussed on how the minorities won the beaches.

Anyway, it really was very good. They do this thing where they have contemporary actors dressed in clothes of the post war period lip-synching to recordings of their characters perfectly but the same actors re-enacting actions they discuss. It works brilliantly as we’ve seen all the re-enactments before but they are very much made real by the recordings being lip-synced as it’s not an “old man” or woman but someone much more relatable.

Three episodes very well made.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,065

Welsh Labour is a joke.
    Sadly it is not a joke to those of us living in Wales and apparently he has received Starmer's full backing

It just plays into the public's disdain of politicians and politics
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,626
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Corbyn’s 12.9m was 40%

So if we assume 48m registered, but a turnout of say 60% (as in 2001), that’s 28.8m votes in total, so 12.9m votes is just under 45%

Dont forget the extra 2 million expat voters......
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 453

More from @IpsosUK

A large amount of people on here still think Labour will struggle to hit the 1997 total and I massively encourage them to bet on it at the current great odds.

There’s still a lot that *could* happen but time is running out.
  • Options

All of this confirms to me that if the Tories had a centrist candidate that people like me could vote for, they'd be walking this.

Whether you are joking or not, the Cons made a decision to pander to the extreme. But it didn't work. It was never going to work. Because they will never be extreme enough to satisfy the extreme and lo, look at Nige returning.

They *should* have given up the absurd "lead by Francois" approach and gone straight back to the "centre". Thing is, with the finances so blown up by Covid and people beaten down by CoL/Ukraine they had precious little wiggle room.

As the next government will find out on July 5th.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 870
    Can we believe the MRP polling?
    Take North Shropshire:
    More in Common Con 42, Labour 30, Lib Dem 13 Reform 6, Green 10
    YouGov: Lib Dem 40, Cons 25, Labour 18, Reform 11, Green 5

Which one is right or are they both up the creek?
    Same up in Scotland according to MRP SNP will take all the existing Lib Dem seats bar Orkney where they are just 1 point behind!
    Whereas YouGov has them being held comfortably by the Lib Dems.
    There are many other similar situations in other forecasts of who is ahead whether it is Labour, Cons Lib Dems
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Corbyn’s 12.9m was 40%

If they register. I haven’t.

But yes, if the denominator goes up, then turnout has to be even lower for the bet to come off.
  • Options

Lets hope so as they will not be on the right
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Whether you are joking or not, the Cons made a decision to pander to the extreme. But it didn't work. It was never going to work. Because they will never be extreme enough to satisfy the extreme and lo, look at Nige returning.

They *should* have given up the absurd "lead by Francois" approach and gone straight back to the "centre". Thing is, with the finances so blown up by Covid and people beaten down by CoL/Ukraine they had precious little wiggle room.

I would be up for voting Tory if they offered anything to younger people. They're open to win my vote at the next election should they want to.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,537
    TOPPING said:

AUNT UPDATE:

Thanks all again for your advice and thoughts yday. Aunt duly reported to insurance company and let them handle it. Didn't report it to plod but will take advice from insurers.

AUNT UPDATE II:
    I went round to hers to discuss it all last night and there was a knock on the door. I don't want to dox anyone, least of all myself or my aunt, but she lives in what I would say was one of the nicest streets in one of the nicest parts of her constituency. The door-knocker was a fresh-faced Lab canvasser. I recoiled and recovered only to congratulate him on covering the area. I took a leaflet and bade him farewell and good luck. Lab really are going for it.

A gentleman as ever, Topping. Will you be voting Labour this time? How about Auntie?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,483

Yes (especially with lower turnout or if some are right about RefUK taking Labour votes) but SkyBet now quotes 7/4 which is less interesting.
  • Options

More from @IpsosUK

A large amount of people on here still think Labour will struggle to hit the 1997 total and I massively encourage them to bet on it at the current great odds.

There’s still a lot that *could* happen but time is running out.
    I’m one of them. I just cannot envisage Sir Keir beating Sir Tony’s 1997 total. I could be wrong - it’s been known.
  • Options
    The D-Day commemorations are very moving to watch, especially knowing that this is likely to be the last time veterans of WWII gather for such an event.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

You've hit the nail on the head. This isn't about nuance.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/tv/bbc-accused-of-monumental-double-standards-for-not-dropping-racist-cricket-pundit/ar-BB1nHjrf?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=e36013eb41ed424ab536870e78254e37&ei=18
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

But they're not pandering to the extreme. They're talking right but not actually acting right. Cameron talked centre and acted centre; arguably Cameron talked centre and acted right. And was moderately successful. Talking right and acting right might also be successful, but hasn't really been tried since Thatcher. But talking right and acting left just pisses everyone off.

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,207
    Morning all :)

I see Kantar have rebranded as Verian - all very unhelpful. Their poll has an 18-point Labour lead:

https://veriangroup.com/hubfs/Britain-Barometer/Britain-Barometer-2024/5-June-2024-Britain-Barometer.pdf

Once again we have 60% saying they will definitely vote and 19% saying they will probably vote so I'm still thinking of turnout in the low to mid 70s yet there seema a general view on here turnout will be low. 75% wouldn't be too bad in the context of recent GEs.

A quick glance down the data tables (and I'm delighted to see some proper detail on the sampling) and it "smells" reasonable.
  • Options

I agree that you have found a great bet there. Even if we manage to get a higher vote share, a reduction in turnout will make you a winner. Good luck!
    Turnout at this election is a tricky question. Low, high or medium? It seems to me there is a strong sense of the importance of the election, but no sense at all of what the ideological fork in the road, if any, would be about. 2017 and 2019 were ideological elections as well as highly special on account of Brexit.

In most seats the hard left have no-one to vote for, unlike 2017 and 2019.

The importance is focussed on the necessity of getting one lot out and having a reset, but there is also a certainty that this will happen.

My guess is turnout lower than 2017 and 2019, but higher than the really boring elections like 2001, 2005.
  • Options

TimS said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

@hzeffman
    Breaking: The Conservatives accepted £5 million from the controversial donor Frank Hester's company in January, new Electoral Commission figures show.

Probably more.

The average household is paying £3,500 more in tax now than in 2019. The biggest tax raising parliament in UK history.

And I don’t blame the Tories for doing this. They probably should have raised more. Our public infrastructure, services and local government are on their knees after years of no investment.

Restructure the BoE debt

The government spends £1200 billion a year. If youre saying you couldnt find efficiencies in that sum then stay away from management.

And just to finish off some of the savings need to be put back in to spending on issues like infrastructure which longer term create further savings through productivity
    Total airy-fairy nonsense. With the exception of 'No new IT projects' those are all on a par with Sunak's 'cracking down on tax avoidance and evasion'. Taking Quangos for example, you need to list all the quangos that are going to be cut, how much each will save, and what, if any, downsides there are.

There are over 750 quangos and yes you have to list the ones you want to ditch. Nobody in government wants to kill them off so they dont look. But lets kick off with OBR, The country functioned without it, it's an Osborne wheeze, it will stop Reeves doing anything and it duplicates other government forecasters. I'd love to tell you how much that saves but it doesnt publish figures.

Axe OBR and you risk a Trussian collapse when the markets conclude you are cutting the fire brigade before setting fire to the nation's accounts. Yes, OBR should not have been created: not the first Osborne wheeze to blow up his own party as well as the country.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,164

Nigeria's economy seems to be disintegrating with inflation, a general strike and its monthly minimum wage now not much more than the UK's hourly minimum wage:

Explains why every care home now appears to be full of Nigerian careworkers..
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,977
    edited June 6
    I certainly believe a 1997 result is possible. I actually think depending on the next couple of weeks it could get a lot worse than that.

I admit to being someone who thought the Tories would stabilise in the high 20s once the election was called. I was wrong.

The only cheer for the Tories on Ipsos is REFUK at 9%. Some pollsters are really going to be professionally embarrassed with the eventual Reform score unless they start to converge - I wonder which ones?
  • Options
    DM_Andy said:

If the Tories do parachute Him in, which flavour of milkshake do you recommend I buy?

Not sure what you mean but I hope it is not connected to the widely condemned milk shake attack on Farage

Its a joke. Besides Farage appears to have set up the milkshake "attack" for publicity. And it worked beautifully.
    "Milkshake attacks". The work of the milkshake Taliban? Take it easy BigG. Think instead about Labour chaos in Wales and how that might play out in the GE and deliver Rishi a hatful of seats, or maybe not.
    Good morning

The sad part about Gething is yet again another politician, this time a labour First Minister, deciding to ignore a vonc and carry on and at the same time has received the backing of Starmer

It will not change the GE result of a wipe out of conservative mps, but what is depressing is there seems to be no consequences for the lack of integrity amongst our leaders.

I notice Drakeford had a furious row with his colleagues over dropping the change to Welsh children's school holiday times as he arrogantly said it was his legacy, one which he hadn't been put out to public consultation and now the Welsh government has and found it to be unpopular especially with teachers so much so it will not be revisited until after the 2026 Senedd election

On another issue Ed Davey has come out this morning condemning labours vat raid on private schools which the Lib Dems do not support

1) Accepting a donation from a businessman who has been convicted of environmental crimes.

My own view is that 1 and 2 are enough to vote no-confidence. 3 is nothing, a political leader should have free rein to select who they want in their cabinet and that goes if you're PM, FM or just a leader of a district council.

Now, Sunak's taken £15m from someone who wants an MP shot (someone's been sent to prison for threatening Caroline Nokes just yesterday). As you're very exercised over a milkshake, you surely are concerned about people who want people shot? Sunak's deleted his Covid-era WhatsApp messages too.

I don't think that it's good for our politics to point to the other side and say that they do it too so I think that Gething should step down because he has lost his moral authority to lead. This could be a turning point in our politics for the better. I hope that you agree with me that Sunak should at least apologise for his misdeeds.

I understand Hester made a full apology for his comments as did Diane Abbott for hers, but yes you are correct nobody should threaten any mp by act or even joke as it plays into the narrative of violence against democracy

It seems Sturgeon, Drakeford and others all deleted their Whats app messages and they are all out of order for doing it

As far as Sunak is concerned he will be an ex PM on the 5th July
  • Options

murali_s said:

I have been trying to book a GP appointment for my son for the last 45 mins. Online system has stopped taking appointments and the phone just keeps on ringing. This is what folks face everyday thanks to the Tories.

The usual right-wing fruit loops on here will continue to pretend there is nothing wrong and still put the x against the Conservatives. I actually pity them as they obviously need some kind of help. At least one of this group, @Leon has called a spade a spade and wants the Tories destroyed. His reasoning is wrong, immigration is not the main issue, it’s the fact that the Tories have completely and utterly Ratnered this country over the last 14 years.

Hopefully they will end up with less 15 seats but my betting position is 100-150 seats.

Streetings plan for the Reform of the NHS has more holes in it than Swiss cheese and involves handing more NHS money to profits of private sector.

Such as his donors.

I look forward to you commenting on the improvements in this area 1 year in.
    So what are voters to do in the meantime? Sit on our hands or use the choice we have on July the 4th to make the only change possible?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,909

Quite a difference in the Construction PMIs:

UK 54.7
    Italy 49.0
    France 43.4
    EuroZone 42.9
    Germany 38.5

Growth in the UK construction sector gained momentum during May, with activity and new business increasing at
    sharper rates than in April. Rising workloads prompted renewed expansions in purchasing activity and employment, while business confidence also strengthened.

Eurozone construction activity remained in a steep slump during May, according to the latest HCOB PMI® survey data, as new orders continued to fall sharply. The downturn led to the quickest drop in construction jobs in four years, while purchases and subcontractor use also decreased markedly.

https://www.pmi.spglobal.com/Public/Release/PressReleases

If we were still in the EU we would be getting another wave of 'Polish plumbers'.

Doing our bit - extension (part 2) starts next week!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

PJH said:

Everything's spenny these days. Try going to the theatre and paying retail. Extraordinary. Stick a US mini-series star in there and double it.

Plus there's that fantastic "Luxx" mag from the Times every Saturday or so. Watches at around £30,000 and the rest.

But it's all just relative. What @PJH spends on a t-shirt amounts to what a non-trivial proportion of the planet has to live on in a week. I don't mind if someone spends thirty grand on a watch because it will only be X% of their income.
    I think one of the visible ways in which the economy has changed since the Big Banking Bust is that the middle has fallen out of many consumer markets.

The top x% is doing very well, and so there's lots of money for top end luxury consumer goods. Everyone else is skint and having to penny pinch. Lidl and LVMH are both doing well, while M&S struggles.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,021
    Roger said:

Taz said:
    As only one of the figures with the Hitler moustaches are Jewish I can understand why they didn't see it as anti Semitic. John Cleese used to do Hitler moustache spoofs all the time. Tasteless isn't the same as anti semitic.
    Spike Milligan used to do a hilarious Hitler. It was neither tasteless nor anti-semitic.
  • Options
    eek said:

A lot of Nigerians in my part of the world as well. Doing jobs that have traditionally been done by sub-continentals - construction, taxi driving, security guards, retail & hospitality etc.

A failed state of c.230m people would be a real problem.
  • Options
    boulay said:

I usually avoid WW2 docs and run for the hills from docs with re-enactments but I read a blistering review of BBC’s “D-Day, the unheard tapes” in the Guardian and thought that if they were creaming over it it’s either brilliant or focussed on how the minorities won the beaches.

Anyway, it really was very good. They do this thing where they have contemporary actors dressed in clothes of the post war period lip-synching to recordings of their characters perfectly but the same actors re-enacting actions they discuss. It works brilliantly as we’ve seen all the re-enactments before but they are very much made real by the recordings being lip-synced as it’s not an “old man” or woman but someone much more relatable.

Three episodes very well made.
    Very good and of course on an iplayer near you.

On that note, might I remark on how impressive was the Prime Minister this morning: serious but not portentous, he struck precisely the right note. How different Rishi's political legacy might have been if he'd not had the faux Boris act thrust upon him.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,977

I think Starmer is vulnerable on certain fronts, the problem the Tories have is they can’t exploit that because they’re trusted much less.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,626
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Corbyn’s 12.9m was 40%

But yes, if the denominator goes up, then turnout has to be even lower for the bet to come off.
    No idea how the polling companies are dealing with this, seems like a reasonably big bit of extra variance given we don't have much idea if it will be extra 200,000 or 1,000,000 voters and they are presumably harder to poll anyway.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,735
    "53% say they have definitely decided how to vote. 45% say they may change their mind by polling day. In November 2019 this stood at 40%, before falling to 23% in the days before that General Election.
    Among those who may change their mind, 11% are considering switching to the Conservatives, 13% Labour and 21% the Lib Dems.
    50% say it is very important to them who wins the next General Election. Lower than the 64% who said the same in November 2019, but on a par with the figure in May 2017.”

@IPSOS
  • Options
    DM_Andy said:

Good morning

A rather odd thing about Welsh politics is that outside Wales no-one pays it any attention at all. Just complete zero, totally ignored. NI, RoI, Scotland, all get attention, especially Scotland even though its population is about the same as Yorkshire. Not Wales.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

A lot of Nigerians in my part of the world as well. Doing jobs that have traditionally been done by sub-continentals - construction, taxi driving, security guards, retail & hospitality etc.

A failed state of c.230m people would be a real problem.
    A failed state of c.230m is going to be a real problem....
  • Options
    Bit of a pity this Ipsos isn’t post-Farage.

:(
  • Options
    Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

But they're not pandering to the extreme. They're talking right but not actually acting right. Cameron talked centre and acted centre; arguably Cameron talked centre and acted right. And was moderately successful. Talking right and acting right might also be successful, but hasn't really been tried since Thatcher. But talking right and acting left just pisses everyone off.

Good point. They have ensured they get the worst of all worlds. I think people (us, the politicians) have been living in la-la land about the fiscal position. No one wants to acknowledge it but it is the elephant in the room is our net debt to GDP of 100% +/-.

Almost anything else we could have done during Covid appears to have been better than what we have ended up with. Without going all Barty on the situation we simply took the cap off the QALY calcs.

And do you know what? @contrarian said almost dollar for dollar this is what would happen. And here we are.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Morning all :)

I see Kantar have rebranded as Verian - all very unhelpful. Their poll has an 18-point Labour lead:

https://veriangroup.com/hubfs/Britain-Barometer/Britain-Barometer-2024/5-June-2024-Britain-Barometer.pdf

Once again we have 60% saying they will definitely vote and 19% saying they will probably vote so I'm still thinking of turnout in the low to mid 70s yet there seema a general view on here turnout will be low. 75% wouldn't be too bad in the context of recent GEs.

A quick glance down the data tables (and I'm delighted to see some proper detail on the sampling) and it "smells" reasonable.

Another old poll though: 30 May - 1200hrs 3 June.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

PJH said:

I think one of the visible ways in which the economy has changed since the Big Banking Bust is that the middle has fallen out of many consumer markets.

The top x% is doing very well, and so there's lots of money for top end luxury consumer goods. Everyone else is skint and having to penny pinch. Lidl and LVMH are both doing well, while M&S struggles.
    M&S is no longer struggling - because that sector of the market is literally just M&S / Next (everyone else has been cleared out) with John Lewis struggling in the sector slightly above them...
  • Options

My understanding - from a Nigerian who has recently gone back to visit Nigeria for a few weeks - is that the country has abolished cash. But does not have the infrastructure for most transactions to be done electronically. So there is now a black market in cash, which is expensive to obtain.
    That's obviously not the whole problem, but it's an example of the sort of decision making which has led them to where they are.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,793
    edited June 6
    Sandpit said:

The D-Day commemorations are very moving to watch, especially knowing that this is likely to be the last time veterans of WWII gather for such an event.

Mantra of the day (one which I have applied to my old dad in the past) is ‘he never talked about it’.
    The BBC et al are certainly making up for that.

Good to see so many of the (very) old soldiers are of a pacifist outlook.

• Options
    edited June 6

[…]
    The only cheer for the Tories on Ipsos is REFUK at 9%. Some pollsters are really going to be professionally embarrassed with the eventual Reform score unless they start to converge - I wonder which ones?
    They shouldn’t cheer yet. 80% of the data was collected pre-Farage.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Bit of a pity this Ipsos isn’t post-Farage.

:(

It makes it a very good point of comparison for the next Ipsos poll.
  • Options
    sbjme19sbjme19 Posts: 187
    Did Rishi take into account the D-Day commemorations (where he's able to show a statesman presence) and all the sporting events coming up when he went for this date, hoping not so much focus on his Government?
  • Options
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

PJH said:

M&S is no longer struggling - because that sector of the market is literally just M&S / Next (everyone else has been cleared out) with John Lewis struggling in the sector slightly above them...
    M&S is closing a lot of its larger stores.
  • Options
    sbjme19 said:

Did Rishi take into account the D-Day commemorations (where he's able to show a statesman presence) and all the sporting events coming up when he went for this date, hoping not so much focus on his Government?

Wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to believe he and his advisers were that smart.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,217

Welsh Labour is a joke.
    Sadly it is not a joke to those of us living in Wales and apparently he has received Starmer's full backing

It just plays into the public's disdain of politicians and politics

Fortunately for Labour in Wales the Conservatives led by the hopeless Andrew RT Davies are head and shoulders worse.

For the record. Gething should resign.
  • Options
    Greens on 9% seems awfully high?
  • Options

eek said:

TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

PJH said:

I wouldn't saying closing stores in poor locations is a sign of them struggling, more a sign of careful management...
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Greens on 9% seems awfully high?

And LD 8% very low. One suspects some sort of trade off.
  • Options

The Conservatives could have a leader with all the positives and none of the negatives of every prime minister of the last century but they would still have no chance.

Because the damage to their reputation from lockdown parties, Truss cosplaying mythological Thatcher, endless sleaze and whiny self-obsessed self-entitlement is far too great.

They've become a soap opera which has been running for a few series too long and thinks ever more lurid storylines will win back its lost viewers.
    You’re right on every count and we could add a heap more too.

But the thing I’m hearing a lot right now is about mortgages.

I mentioned yesterday the three most influential politicians of the last 50 years in this country and, in my opinion, the only three (Thatcher, Blair, and Johnson). I obviously disliked Thatcher’s politics but my god she got it absolutely right when she enabled people to buy their own homes.

You touch a British person’s home and you’re toast.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,393
    eek said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

PJH said:

I wouldn't saying closing stores in poor locations is a sign of them struggling, more a sign of careful management...
    We popped into the one in Sunderland when we went up to see Springsteen recently for a couple of sandwiches. Think it was the last day it was open :s.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 5,003

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Corbyn’s 12.9m was 40%

No idea how the polling companies are dealing with this, seems like a reasonably big bit of extra variance given we don't have much idea if it will be extra 200,000 or 1,000,000 voters and they are presumably harder to poll anyway.
    As a UK overseas voter I suspect that this group is a lot more "sticky" than in general.
    First you have to jump through a few hoops to get registered as an overseas voter, and then return a letter each year to confirm your overseas address. If you move the letter gets sent to your old address so you need to actively change your address (in my constituency at least this is still all done by snail mail). Secondly the day to day politics are more at arms length and so a bigger change in the UK situation is needed to make a chang in the vote.

So I think that overseas registered voters are much more likely to vote (as they have an interest in registering). And that they are much less likely to change their vote from last time.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,765

TimS said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

@hzeffman

Probably more.

Restructure the BoE debt

Axe OBR and you risk a Trussian collapse when the markets conclude you are cutting the fire brigade before setting fire to the nation's accounts. Yes, OBR should not have been created: not the first Osborne wheeze to blow up his own party as well as the country.
    OBR is not an especially stupid idea. Consider that we have people with no knowledge of economics or history making economic decisions. Or attempting to.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

PJH said:

Closing stores in any locations is not a sign of prosperity. Poor stores today were prospering yesterday (or yesteryear) otherwise they'd already have been closed.

Politically there are other implications, as one of the causes of the Red Wall flipping is thought to be the psychological impact of destination shops closing.
  • Options
    edited June 6
    p.s. a person’s home is the real point of aspiration that matters in this country, not whether or not they can afford to send their child to a private school.

CR goes on and on endlessly about VAT on schools as something which will affect the election but it’s straining and gnats and swallowing camels.

The tories stuffed up people’s mortgages with that ill-conceived moment of madness under Liz Truss. Everyone except the extremely wealthy are now petrified that they a) will not be able to afford their repayments and b) will be repaying it into retirement.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,218
    148grss said:

Looking at Reform and Cons polling within 2% of each other (17% and 19% respectively) - what would be a point where between the two of them the showing is relatively good, but both of them collapse in terms of seat numbers due to FPTP? I assume if they both polled equal at ~17% that could potentially stop either party getting any / a significant number of seats. Whilst I am not looking forward to this Labour super majority government, I do feel that the extinction of the Conservative party is a long time coming.

Something like a 3:2 ratio between Refuk and Con vote share would probably be the pessimal point in terms of their combined seat total.

So, 21% Refuk, 14% Con might get them just 9 or 10 seats apiece.

That assumes that voting patterns stay the same otherwise, and that would be far from certain in the face of such a big upheaval in public opinion. If Refuk were able to find a couple of dozen "big beasts", they might be able to start concentrating their vote share in target seats, making them more likely to win.

Deadline for nominations is 4pm tomorrow, though - so they've almost certainly left it too late to pick up on any surge this time round.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,472
    edited June 6

Eh? Sunak is the centrist Tory candidate, centrist Hunt is chancellor, centrist Cameron Foreign Secretary they are leaking to Reform for not being rightwing enough if anything.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Eh? Sunak is the centrist Tory candidate, centrist Hunt is chancellor, centrist Cameron Foreign Secretary they are leaking to Reform for not being rightwing enough if anything.
    I would keep Cammo as Forsec, under Labour. He has been excellent – and is well suited to the role.
  • Options

Macron now taking the salute with the King
  • Options

He is right, the snap election has meant CCHQ could impose shortlists of 3 Sunak loyalists whereas if the election was in the autumn local associations could still have picked their own candidates from the approved list and had a local in the final round
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    Although a lot of everyone might think Tuesdays debate is behind us, I actually now suspect it shapes what we can guess is in front of us.

Sunak couldn’t get through the debate without bare faced lies to EVERY question he faced. Waiting lists down (the audience gasped and laughed) boat crossings down (try saying that with Farage on the stage) Rwanda is a deterrent, Pensioners have never paid tax on pensions (he did say that, the very man who invented a pension tax and has been taxing pensions). The 2K Lie wasn’t made up by SPADs in an echo chamber, the treasury really did do it.

It’s just sinking in with me now how bad Sunak’s performance was in that debate, because as the leader, he has set a clear lead what the answers are. Everyone one else in his party, in debates, interviews, panels, QT in front of audiences, all must repeat Sunak’s lies now.

Starting with Mordaunt on Friday, no matter how batshit she thinks these answers are, she must say boat crossing are down, waiting lists are down, pensioners have never paid tax, the 2K Lie wasn’t made up by SPADs in an echo chamber the treasury really did do it. Etc etc.

It’s not going to be easy for them, is it?
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,456
    I'm still not convinced LAB will get more than 40%

I'm still not convinced CON will end up with less than 25%

It could end up 38-28. Still massive for LAB on that. 410-160?
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,111
    It seems Galloway has pulled his candidate from Chingford and is endorsing Shaheen.

https://x.com/kira_millana/status/1798616964774129867?s=46

• Options

HYUFD said:

I would keep Cammo as Forsec, under Labour. He has been excellent – and is well suited to the role.
    I’ve heard he may be US Ambassador.

It’s all a very cute idea and Starmer might go for it but I suspect a lot of Labour MPs would be very peed off if, having worked so hard for their Party’s win, Etonian Cameron gets the nod.

It’s time for a new broom. Bye bye Dave. And with it all your tawdry Greenshill shadiness.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,756
    Wealth taxes on mobile wealth are utterly implausible. Anyone proposing them is not serious and they'll lose money not raise money.

Taxes on land on the other are eminently possible and quite reasonable for liberal economic reasons.
  • Options
    edited June 6

Although a lot of everyone might think Tuesdays debate is behind us, I actually now suspect it shapes what we can guess is in front of us.

Sunak couldn’t get through the debate without bare faced lies to EVERY question he faced. Waiting lists down (the audience gasped and laughed) boat crossings down (try saying that with Farage on the stage) Rwanda is a deterrent, Pensioners have never paid tax on pensions (he did say that, the very man who invented a pension tax and has been taxing pensions). The 2K Lie wasn’t made up by SPADs in an echo chamber, the treasury really did do it.

It’s just sinking in with me now how bad Sunak’s performance was in that debate, because as the leader, he has set a clear lead what the answers are. Everyone one else in his party, in debates, interviews, panels, QT in front of audiences, all must repeat Sunak’s lies now.

Starting with Mordaunt on Friday, no matter how batshit she thinks these answers are, she must say boat crossing are down, waiting lists are down, pensioners have never paid tax, the 2K Lie wasn’t made up by SPADs in an echo chamber the treasury really did do it. Etc etc.

It’s not going to be easy for them, is it?

Again you make sound points. Do I detect a wobble in your Tory vote? Are you heading back into the warm embrace of Wavey Davey?
  • Options
    edited June 6

HYUFD said:

Yes, Cammo could serve Starmer or Sunak, both centrist upper middle class Oxford educated liberal meterosexuals like him.

He would draw the line at serving an oik like Farage though
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

He is right, the snap election has meant CCHQ could impose shortlists of 3 Sunak loyalists whereas if the election was in the autumn local associations could still have picked their own candidates from the approved list and had a local in the final round
    Thanks Hyufd for confirming the view I had formed without the benefit of your experience of the Party. July 4th was a shockingly bad call, and driven by internal politics rather than a desire to minimise election losses.
This discussion has been closed.