Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Parties – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,140

It wasn't bad, filled a hole, but now bloated and working out how long I need to give it and what I need to do before I can go to bed.

Is that a euphemism for something??
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,213
    Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

Farooq said:

Jeremy Hunt speaks up and it's like a breath of fresh air
    The evidence of Britain is that elections are always won from the centre ground and I think in a two-party system that will always be the case. We’ll always be a broad church, and I think that’s a good thing.

There it is. The Conservative Party is still in there somewhere. They missed a trick in not making him leader. Too late now, just another of history's "what if"s.

Trouble is that the Lib Dems have often tried being the centre party. It's not won them any elections. You need a large base of voters to win elections. Being on the centre won't guarantee you that.
    The LD's have always done best electorally, since the 1990's, when they have been seen to be slightly to the left of Labour, a lesson they will probably have to relearn all over again under Starmer, and challenging any of his more authoritarian policies, as they did under Blair.

Davey will have to shift his stance a little, but that he's surprised me on the upside in this election so far.
    That was before the Greens though - LDs tried it in 2019 and lost their leader! The space is a liberal centre-right party if the tories go as cuckoo as it expected.
    An economically centre right, pro EU and socially liberal party was the LDs led by Clegg in 2015, it got 7.9% of the vote and 8 MPs
    Also worth pointing out that if the Tories continue to Tory and LDs end up as the official opposition it's a once in a lifetime chance to displace the Tories - if they put forward a sensible centre-right platform while Reform take over the Tories come 2029 they may remain the OO.
    Ed Davey is an Orange Booker, so could easily appeal to Cameroons.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,205
    edited June 5
    Foxy said:

Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

Farooq said:

The evidence of Britain is that elections are always won from the centre ground and I think in a two-party system that will always be the case. We’ll always be a broad church, and I think that’s a good thing.

There it is. The Conservative Party is still in there somewhere. They missed a trick in not making him leader. Too late now, just another of history's "what if"s.

Trouble is that the Lib Dems have often tried being the centre party. It's not won them any elections. You need a large base of voters to win elections. Being on the centre won't guarantee you that.
    The LD's have always done best electorally, since the 1990's, when they have been seen to be slightly to the left of Labour, a lesson they will probably have to relearn all over again under Starmer, and challenging any of his more authoritarian policies, as they did under Blair.

Davey will have to shift his stance a little, but that he's surprised me on the upside in this election so far.
    That was before the Greens though - LDs tried it in 2019 and lost their leader! The space is a liberal centre-right party if the tories go as cuckoo as it expected.
    An economically centre right, pro EU and socially liberal party was the LDs led by Clegg in 2015, it got 7.9% of the vote and 8 MPs
    Also worth pointing out that if the Tories continue to Tory and LDs end up as the official opposition it's a once in a lifetime chance to displace the Tories - if they put forward a sensible centre-right platform while Reform take over the Tories come 2029 they may remain the OO.
    Ed Davey is an Orange Booker, so could easily appeal to Cameroons.
    Yep - very much the last of the musketeers in that respect. Rob Blackie is one to watch out for in terms of them gaining ground within the party - although I believe he (bafflingly) isn't standing. His leaflet was very orange book and explicitly YIMBY for the Mayoral election in London.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,584
    edited June 5
    Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

Farooq said:

If the LDs put forward a centre right platform they lose their SDP, social democratic wing to Labour or even the Greens and are back under 10% again as in 2015 with no Labour tactical votes for them either in their target seats.

They won't become the OO on that. The only party that could replace the Tories as the OO to Starmer Labour is a party led by Farage, as around 30%+ will vote for a socially conservative, pro Brexit, rightwing party
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,558
    I think that’s a (near?) transcript of her opening to today’s Politics Hub. It’s a good show. I enjoy it.
  • Options
    ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,522

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

*I might be wrong*

I thought that Farage would have no effect on the remaining Tory vote. That what remain are traditionalist types who are as sceptical of Reform as they are Labour, and that there was a hard floor of around 20%.

But no. This YouGov poll...

In the final UK EU Parliament elections in 2019 Farage's Brexit Party got 32% and May's Tories just 9%.
    Let me Baxter that...

But seriously, all about turnout now. The Conservatives have to drag anyone who has consistently voted Tory over the last 30 years into the polling place. That's what survival will take. 100% turnout for that group.
    Arguably, we've been swimming water ever since May 2019.

They had no right to win from there. They probably should have been destroyed from that point.

Thing is, Corbin probably woulda won.

and that would have been a catastrophe that would have supercharged the right, by now.

Counterfactuals, eh?!

Instead we get a competent centre-left government who can look forward to a decent honeymoon, before a couple of terms in power. Maybe three?

Unless they fuck it up. Which I doubt they will.
    Never underestimate the power of governments to mess things up. Especially in the social media age. There is no way a large influx of unexpectedly victorious new MPs will stay disciplined and on message - or that Labour will be able to balance the books without going for a wealth tax. Both will result in damage to their popularity over their first term. The issue is what happens to the rump conservative party? Who will survive to lead them and what direction will they go?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,584
    edited June 5
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

Farooq said:

If the LDs put forward a centre right platform they lose their SDP, social democratic wing to Labour or even the Greens and are back under 10% again as in 2015 with no Labour tactical votes for them either in their target seats.

They won't become the OO on that. The only party that could replace the Tories as the OO to Starmer Labour is a party led by Farage, as around 30%+ will vote for a socially conservative, pro Brexit, rightwing party
    I don't think the left/right axis is very meaningful anymore to British politics. What defines a party more is its attitude to internal democracy, individual liberty and authoritarianism.

That's why LDs can appeal to the free enterprise right, a group repelled by Brexit protectionism, while still appealing to Greens by being decentralised. It is a space between the authoritarian centralising philosophy of Labour and the reactionary social conservatism, culture war and Autarky of Reform and Conservatives.

It isn't a vast space as most Britons don't really value freedom, and prefer the smack of firm government,, but it is one that spreads well outside of current LD support, particularly to one nation Conservatives.
    Voters who are pro free enterprise, pro low taxes and small state, pro immigration and socially liberal amount to 10% of the electorate at most. That is the brutal electoral reality.

There might be a market for a party with such an approach under PR, under FPTP it would get steamrollered by Labour and the Reform/Conservative main block
  • Options
    edited June 5
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

Farooq said:

I don't think the left/right axis is very meaningful anymore to British politics. What defines a party more is its attitude to internal democracy, individual liberty and authoritarianism.

That's why LDs can appeal to the free enterprise right, a group repelled by Brexit protectionism, while still appealing to Greens by being decentralised. It is a space between the authoritarian centralising philosophy of Labour and the reactionary social conservatism, culture war and Autarky of Reform and Conservatives.

It isn't a vast space as most Britons don't really value freedom, and prefer the smack of firm government,, but it is one that spreads well outside of current LD support, particularly to one nation Conservatives.
    Voters who are pro free enterprise, pro low taxes and small state, pro immigration and socially liberal amount to 10% of the electorate at most. That is the brutal electoral reality.

There might be a market for a party with such an approach under PR, under FPTP it would get steamrollered by Labour and the Reform/Conservative main block
    Yes, but we do need to grow the share of people that genuinely believe in it. It's the right answer to the problems of the country.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 29,012
    edited June 5
    O/T

Bizarre video from the BBC archive about a faux-posh but poor young couple who've decided to "live beyond their means".

"1968: A LIFE of NECESSARY EXTRAVAGANCE | Man Alive | Weird and Wonderful | BBC Archive"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58g_vJLBmxU
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,399
    edited June 5
    Andy_JS said:

In an open letter, more than 100 Jewish figures in the media and entertainment industry condemned the BBC’s decision to stand by Sheikh, who began commentating this week for Test Match Special.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/06/05/bbc-accused-double-standards-failing-drop-cricket-pundit/

Boycott got booted off for being an old white bloke from Hemsworth despite being one of the most popular commentators on TMS.
    I think to be fair for the case against Boycott, he is massively out of touch with modern cricket, particularly T20. Same as Sky rightly got rid of Botham, Holding, Lloyd, Gower (although Gower is a good lead presenter as shown more recently on TNT). The BBC of course threw Vaughan under the bus with a mere allegation of racism and even then it was super weak if it was even true and literally every other non-white player who played under him said he was a top bloke, great captain, did everything for their careers.

The problem is most of the other people BBC have employed have not much more idea. Tuffers, Vaughan, etc talking about T20 tactics is painful. Occasionally they have Tymal Mills on, who does actually know.

Compare to Sky who replaced the old guard with the likes of Eoin Morgan, Kumar Sangakkara, Dinesh Karthik, who are top drawer.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 29,012
    edited June 5

Andy_JS said:

In an open letter, more than 100 Jewish figures in the media and entertainment industry condemned the BBC’s decision to stand by Sheikh, who began commentating this week for Test Match Special.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/06/05/bbc-accused-double-standards-failing-drop-cricket-pundit/

Boycott got booted off for being an old white bloke from Hemsworth despite being one of the most popular commentators on TMS.
    I think to be fair for the case against Boycott, he is massively out of touch with modern cricket, particularly T20. Same as Sky rightly got rid of Botham, Holding, Lloyd, Gower (although Gower is a good lead presenter as shown more recently on TNT). The BBC of course threw Vaughan under the bus with a mere allegation of racism and even then it was super weak if it was even true and literally every other non-white player who played under him said he was a top bloke, great captain, did everything for their careers.

The problem is most of the other people BBC have employed have not much more idea. Tuffers, Vaughan, etc talking about T20 tactics is painful. Occasionally they have Tymal Mills on, who does actually know.

Compare to Sky who replaced the old guard with the likes of Eoin Morgan, Kumar Sangakkara, Dinesh Karthik, who are top drawer.
    I'm a cricket traditionalist. I don't like T20 and love test cricket, so I was never going to agree with the Boycott decision. But I agree with what you've written from a neutral point of view.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,509

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Ghedebrav said:

nico679 said:

Starmers response to the ECHR question was another open goal missed .

He should have made it clear that the only European countries not in the ECHR are Russia and Belarus and do people want the UK sharing that company.

He needs to do better in the final leaders debate .

We are going to get full on anti ECHR from Farage in this campaign
    ...and from Rishi. Two peas, one pod.
    We will run out of things to leave at some point.
    We could leave the Commonwealth - after all, it's full of foreigners?
    We should remove voting rights in national elections from non-citizens.
    So disenfranchise Commonwealth and Irish people resident here. Why?
    Because the only people who should get a vote are those who have committed to the future of the country. If a Commonwealth or Irish citizen wants to take part in the decision making process for the future of our country then they should commit to UK citizenship.

I would also remove the vote from ex-pats who have permanently settled in other countries.
    Brilliant idea. Wouldn’t stoke any fires in the Six Counties at all. “You can vote if you commit to U.K. citizenship”. Will go down a storm in Derry and West Belfast that will.
    We can keep the exception for Irish citizens but non-reciprocal voting rights for everyone in the Commonwealth is an anachronism.
    No taxation without representation!
    You can try that argument in the US, but you won't get far.
    Commonwealth citizens living in the UK pay tax to HMRC.
    So do French, German and US citizens. They don't get the vote so why should Jamaicans or Indians?

I was amazed at how many of the UK-based Indian IT staff we had working for the bank had vote in the EU Ref. Every one who told me how they voted, voted Leave, including one who thought his vote wouldn't have counted because he was in a pro-Remain constituency.
    In spite of the fact they voted Leave I would still contend they should not have had that vote unless they were British citizens. I also believe that ex-pats settled in other countries should not have had the vote.
    I am with you on the first point.

On the second point, I believe every British citizen should have the vote, and pay UK taxes* wherever they live.

(*Offset FATCA-style by any local taxes they pay.)
    I can go for that. GThe US get many things wrong but I think their attitude to expats and taxes is generally the right one.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,321
    https://x.com/robfordmancs/status/1798457139041538108

This cannot, cannot, cannot be repeated often enough: Reform will hit harder than polls suggest because they weren’t on the ballot last time in vast majority of Tory seats, and they will now in all of them. The implications of this still haven’t been taken in. Lethal for Tories.
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 990

This cannot, cannot, cannot be repeated often enough: Reform will hit harder than polls suggest because they weren’t on the ballot last time in vast majority of Tory seats, and they will now in all of them. The implications of this still haven’t been taken in. Lethal for Tories.

There's still a day for Reform and the Tories to make a coupon deal. That would be a game changer.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,869
    edited June 6
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,289

Reform were more of a problem for the Consertives while Richard Tice was the leader in some seats if the current polling was nailed on, now Nigel Farage is the leader its become a far bigger problem for the Labour party under Keir Starmer. Just how many votes will he attract from former Labour voters who switched to UKIP first before going Conservative in 2019 while the narrative is that Labour is so far ahead in the polls they cannot possible lose and its all about whether they can achieve a record breaking majority that beats Tony Blairs result in 1997?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,513
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

Bizarre video from the BBC archive about a faux-posh but poor young couple who've decided to "live beyond their means".

"1968: A LIFE of NECESSARY EXTRAVAGANCE | Man Alive | Weird and Wonderful | BBC Archive"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58g_vJLBmxU

According to Betfair's horsey forum, the race shown is not the same one he places the bet on, and it is filmed at Epsom, the day before Sir Ivor won the Derby with Lester up.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,513
    Which constituencies are being targeted the most by online political adverts?
    Analysis of political parties' spending on digital adverts reveals the key election battlegrounds are in the South East.

https://news.sky.com/story/which-constituencies-are-being-targeted-the-most-by-online-political-adverts-13148413

As an aside, not in the story, the rules may need to be tightened up to cover targeted advertising so it comes under constituency spending limits rather than national ones. Trouble is, if Party X spends £50,000 on adverts to voters in Dunny-on-the-Wold that is one thing but £250,000 on all the rotten boroughs, or an entire region, there is an obvious loophole.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,233

If the Tories do parachute Him in, which flavour of milkshake do you recommend I buy?

Vanilla, Chocolate, Banana, Strawberry or Salted Caramel?

https://wimpy.uk.com/menus/drinks

Not sure what you mean but I hope it is not connected to the widely condemned milk shake attack on Farage

Its a joke. Besides Farage appears to have set up the milkshake "attack" for publicity. And it worked beautifully.
    That was debunked within a few minutes of the claim first being made. It's was case of mistaken identity.

"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is still putting on its shoes."
    The alleged proponent has been arrested and identified as a Corbyn supporter
    She’s been charged with assault and criminal damage.

She’ll make any fines back and some with the extra custom her onlyfans site gets.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet, said Juliet, but the legislature of Illinois does not agree. It believes that the word “offender” should now be replaced by the term “justice-impacted individual.”"

https://www.takimag.com/article/the-root-cause-of-crime/

I got told off by our ward sister for referring to a prison inmate under escort on our ward as "a convict".

I am sure that he has heard worse language in his time in nick.
    What should you have called him in their opinion ?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

Genuine question, have the Lib Dems come out with any policies yet? Curious.

We all have to learn to sailboard, apparently.
    There have been lots of LibDem policy announcements. They don’t get as much media coverage. The latest big one was free personal care for adults
    Ed Davey will wipe your bum, personally.
    He was doing his bit to win over Reform UK voters today by getting a speeding ticket. 😊
    At least he accepted it and didn’t palm it off on his wife. Unlike a past Lib Dem.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,498
    Apparently Labours manifesto will be launched next Thursday . Surely there will be a few surprises in there .
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,250

If the Tories do parachute Him in, which flavour of milkshake do you recommend I buy?

Not sure what you mean but I hope it is not connected to the widely condemned milk shake attack on Farage

Its a joke. Besides Farage appears to have set up the milkshake "attack" for publicity. And it worked beautifully.
    You are a lib dem candidate joking about milkshakes attacks?
    "Milkshake attacks". The work of the milkshake Taliban? Take it easy BigG. Think instead about Labour chaos in Wales and how that might play out in the GE and deliver Rishi a hatful of seats, or maybe not.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,486
    fitalass said:

Reform were more of a problem for the Consertives while Richard Tice was the leader in some seats if the current polling was nailed on, now Nigel Farage is the leader its become a far bigger problem for the Labour party under Keir Starmer. Just how many votes will he attract from former Labour voters who switched to UKIP first before going Conservative in 2019 while the narrative is that Labour is so far ahead in the polls they cannot possible lose and its all about whether they can achieve a record breaking majority that beats Tony Blairs result in 1997?
    On that YouGov poll - it probably didn't capture the full impact of Farage's announcement, as it was taken on that day and the next.

Just for fun, increasing each of the changes from last time by 50%, we'd have:
    Old methodology:
    Lab 44.5, Con 16.5, RefUK 19.5
    New methodology
    Lab 38, Con 18, RefUK 18.5

It is only a bit of fun, particularly because rounding/others means the five party changes under the new methodology add up to -3.

This is a real nightmare for the Tories, particularly if they suffer further from "Liargate". On these figures it is a huge plus for Labour.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,384
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

Farooq said:

Just a shame the LibDems conspicuously fail to demonstrate or even apply much of such a philosophy to how their own party is run, nowadays.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,066

"Milkshake attacks". The work of the milkshake Taliban? Take it easy BigG. Think instead about Labour chaos in Wales and how that might play out in the GE and deliver Rishi a hatful of seats, or maybe not.
    Good morning

The sad part about Gething is yet again another politician, this time a labour First Minister, deciding to ignore a vonc and carry on and at the same time has received the backing of Starmer

It will not change the GE result of a wipe out of conservative mps, but what is depressing is there seems to be no consequences for the lack of integrity amongst our leaders.

I notice Drakeford had a furious row with his colleagues over dropping the change to Welsh children's school holiday times as he arrogantly said it was his legacy, one which he hadn't been put out to public consultation and now the Welsh government has and found it to be unpopular especially with teachers so much so it will not be revisited until after the 2026 Senedd election

On another issue Ed Davey has come out this morning condemning labours vat raid on private schools which the Lib Dems do not support
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

nico679 said:

Apparently Labours manifesto will be launched next Thursday . Surely there will be a few surprises in there .

Anything resembling a meaningful policy would be a surprise.
    You’re on good form this early in the morning !
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,111
    This is quite brutal to Starmer. It won’t make any difference this side of the election, however it could mean the honeymoon is shorter and almost certainly suggests that Sir Keir could run into political trouble much more quickly than anyone anticipates. Wondering what price SKS not lasting a full term might be.

https://x.com/spikedonline/status/1798396501980246283?s=46
  • Options

Good morning

The sad part about Gething is yet again another politician, this time a labour First Minister, deciding to ignore a vonc and carry on and at the same time has received the backing of Starmer

It will not change the GE result of a wipe out of conservative mps, but what is depressing is there seems to be no consequences for the lack of integrity amongst our leaders.

I notice Drakeford had a furious row with his colleagues over dropping the change to Welsh children's school holiday times as he arrogantly said it was his legacy, one which he hadn't been put out to public consultation and now the Welsh government has and found it to be unpopular especially with teachers so much so it will not be revisited until after the 2026 Senedd election

On another issue Ed Davey has come out this morning condemning labours vat raid on private schools which the Lib Dems do not support
    His Vox Pop on the news was all how hurtful to him it is. All very self pitying and ‘poor me’

Modern politicians are shameless. Across all parties.
  • Options

Good morning

Taking a donation from someone convicted of dumping waste was insane . And he should not have been elected in the first place to FM . However the Tories can hardly play the innocent card after the furore over Hester .
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Good morning

Taking a donation from someone convicted of dumping waste was insane . And he should not have been elected in the first place to FM . However the Tories can hardly play the innocent card after the furore over Hester .
    It seems corruption is widespread across politics as is integrity
  • Options

nico679 said:

Good morning

The next EC update re donations is due at the end of the month .

That will likely confirm the Tories took a further 5 million pounds from Hester , not a great look going into the election . The Tories have done more to trash integrity in politics than any other party.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

The next EC update re donations is due at the end of the month .

That will likely confirm the Tories took a further 5 million pounds from Hester , not a great look going into the election . The Tories have done more to trash integrity in politics than any other party.
    SNP ?
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,771
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

Farooq said:

10% here, 10% there and soon you're winning elections.

Under FPTP the Conservatives win as a big tent which include pro free enterprise, low tax etc right wingers.

Without us, you lose and get steamrollered by Labour.

As you're going to see this year.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

This is quite brutal to Starmer. It won’t make any difference this side of the election, however it could mean the honeymoon is shorter and almost certainly suggests that Sir Keir could run into political trouble much more quickly than anyone anticipates. Wondering what price SKS not lasting a full term might be.

So we’re supposed to believe Starmer is more untrustworthy than Johnson !
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,507
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet, said Juliet, but the legislature of Illinois does not agree. It believes that the word “offender” should now be replaced by the term “justice-impacted individual.”"

https://www.takimag.com/article/the-root-cause-of-crime/

Those fecking Republicans will do *anything* to make Trump look better.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

Farooq said:

Under FPTP the Conservatives win as a big tent which include pro free enterprise, low tax etc right wingers.

Agreed
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,384

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

Farooq said:

You speak as if you are the only group they have alienated?

There’s nothing special about you lot. Join the queue.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,823
    edited June 6
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

Farooq said:

Oddly enough, I think that's the group they've least alienated! And HYUFD is right - if you look at the research, socially liberal/economically right people are very rare.

Middle Britons (average voter) > Labour
    Traditional (Rich, socially conservative) > Reform
    Apolitical centrists (right economics, central socially, young) > Labour/Lib Dem
    Left-behind patriots (economically left, socially right) > Reform

Urban progressives (yoga, coffee, cycling) > Green (from Labour)
    Soft-left (liberal social, centrist economics) > Stick with Labour/Lib Dem

Where on earth do the Conservatives fit in there?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,656
    @ConnorGillies
    Scottish Conservative leader Douglas Ross has called an emergency press conference to deliver an ‘announcement’ regarding the general election.

Media given two hour warning.
    @SkyNews
  • Options
    @hzeffman
    Breaking: The Conservatives accepted £5 million from the controversial donor Frank Hester's company in January, new Electoral Commission figures show.

It follows £10 million of donations last year
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,250
    edited June 6

Good morning

Gething needs to be gone for everyone's sake. For the optics alone he was foolish. I take the Dauson shilling so I can't complain about that side of things, but then I never had aspirations to be FM.

As to VAT on private schools, shame on Ed. Is he going to make my educational business VAT free too?
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,477
    Andy_JS said:

"Zac Goldsmith
    @ZacGoldsmith

I understand the anger towards Sunak who has damaged the Party almost beyond repair and all but guaranteed the majority of his MPs will lose their job next month.
    But it’s hard to muster much sympathy given that none of this would have happened without the complicity of a majority of the Party & what is now unfolding was entirely predictable- indeed predicted.
    The hope is that when Sunak disappears off to California in a few weeks there are at least some decent MPs left around which to rebuild 🤞🙏🤞"

https://x.com/ZacGoldsmith/status/1795059856446980240

Goldsmith is utterly deluded if he thinks this is all on Sunak. The Tory party has collectively been high on its own propaganda for the last 10 years. Until they start engaging with real people’s daily concerns they’ll be toast.

And hint, I can say as a resident of South Shropshire that immigration and trans stuff are not top of my list of concerns. Important, especially the former but no more so than public services, climate change and the rebuttal of fascist dictatorships.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

ToryJim said:

So we’re supposed to believe Starmer is more untrustworthy than Johnson !
    They have slightly different vices. Boris had a tendency to oversell the small stuff and make it seem a bigger deal than was the case. This fits with his his over the top personality. Starmer is a much blander character, the personification of beige, he is very much a Vicar of Bray character who fits his views to the times to always stay on top.

Tony Benn always referred to two types of political leaders, signposts and weathercocks. Signposts are rooted in something and point the same way regardless, weathercocks point whichever way the wind is blowing. Starmer epitomises the latter. It’s not going to matter much this side of power but if he exhibits the same inclinations in office he will get into serious problems.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Keep on the hopium Fitalass. That may have been the case in 2019, but that realignment happened. RefUK are all about damaging the Tories now.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@ConnorGillies
    Scottish Conservative leader Douglas Ross has called an emergency press conference to deliver an ‘announcement’ regarding the general election.

@SkyNews

Interesting, from his point of view dissociating the Scottish Tories from the rest of the party would probably be beneficial in the long term. Move to a CDU/CSU type arrangement. It’s probably a lot more boring than that though.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,173
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Monksfield, but the working class/Red Wall types had already abandoned the Conservative, no?

I do agree Farage/Reform's a bigger problem overall for the blues than the reds, but there's a lot more voters willing to shift from Labour, just because their polling's so high. Anyone still voting Conservatives is likely to be the core vote.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,219

fitalass said:

Keep on the hopium Fitalass. That may have been the case in 2019, but that realignment happened. RefUK are all about damaging the Tories now.
    They were also there in 2019 - it was their splitting of the Tory vote that Resulted Cooper and Milburn winning their seats - it just wasn’t so obvious when the Tory vote was 15-20% higher
  • Options
    edited June 6

fitalass said:

Be careful for what you wish for

There is a very real prospect that Farage will win his Clacton seat and post election a merger happens with the remaining conservatives and he becomes leader of the opposition

This has to be labours worst nightmare with Starmer facing Farage every week and the polarisation of our politics
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,436

fitalass said:

Even if Farage does take votes equally from both parties, the effect is different.

For Labour, it's annoying.

For the Conservatives, it's possibly fatal, because they are already so close to the FPTP cliff edge.
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,596
    edited June 6
    Superb piece by Robert Shrimsley in the FT.

I think the refusal of both parties to mention the B-word in this campaign - for reasons we’ve gone over before - shames them. History will not judge them kindly.

This election will see the revenge of the 48%. They will swing behind Labour/LD, voting tactically to unseat the Tories. A big chunk of the Brexit true believers, the deluded irreconcilables who think the Tories botched Brexit by not doing it properly, will drink the Reform PLC Kool-Aid.

And that eviscerates the Tories.

That’s what the history books will say, I reckon.

Anyway, the Shrimsley piece tickles my fancy. Here’s the conclusion:

https://www.ft.com/content/820de7fe-3ec6-4585-a4ce-c450261b3794
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,721
    I'm struggling to see how a majority Labour government with a polarising figure like Farage as LOTO would be a worst nightmare for anyone other than the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,445
    Scott_xP said:

@hzeffman
    Breaking: The Conservatives accepted £5 million from the controversial donor Frank Hester's company in January, new Electoral Commission figures show.

Perhaps, but Labours going to take £2000 from every voter.

Probably more.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Monksfield, but the working class/Red Wall types had already abandoned the Conservative, no?

I do agree Farage/Reform's a bigger problem overall for the blues than the reds, but there's a lot more voters willing to shift from Labour, just because their polling's so high. Anyone still voting Conservatives is likely to be the core vote.

It's only one poll, and that with changed methodology, but with the declining Tory vote share I do wonder what "core vote" really means.

In any case, I think the Tories abandoned their core vote some time back when they jettisoned Tory Remainers and One Nation Conservatives to pursue socially divisive right wing populism. Once that goes to Reform they have very little left.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

The voters Labour’s poll,lead is built on, younger, more educated, working, female, are not the demographic types who are attracted by the dubious, simplist charms of St Nigel of The White Cliffs.

Listening to Today focus group in the Weald of Kent constituency yesterday was informative. Young Mums who were clearly not going to be voting Tory.

I really think a 15-20% share for RefUK may presage the ELE for the Tories.

• Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,436
    Eabhal said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

Farooq said:

Oddly enough, I think that's the group they've least alienated! And HYUFD is right - if you look at the research, socially liberal/economically right people are very rare.

Middle Britons (average voter) > Labour
    Traditional (Rich, socially conservative) > Reform
    Apolitical centrists (right economics, central socially, young) > Labour/Lib Dem
    Left-behind patriots (economically left, socially right) > Reform

Urban progressives (yoga, coffee, cycling) > Green (from Labour)
    Soft-left (liberal social, centrist economics) > Stick with Labour/Lib Dem

Where on earth do the Conservatives fit in there?
    Three groups.

The big one is retired homeowners. See pension locks, NIMBYism and fear of social change.

The next is People Like Rishi- the very top few percent of the income distribution who want their tax minimised and are insulated from the state of public services.

Then there are ancestral Conservatives. Who don't like what has become of the party but can't face the ghosts of their dead, decent Tory relatives.

It's been a problem for a while. In 2019, it was rather hidden by the fear of Corbyn and the lack of Reform candidates. Neither of which applies now.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I'm struggling to see how a majority Labour government with a polarising figure like Farage as LOTO would be a worst nightmare for anyone other than the Conservative Party.

There wouldn't be a conservative party as you know it
  • Options

I think the refusal of both parties to mention the B-word in this campaign - for reasons we’ve gone over before - shames them. History will not judge them kindly.

This election will see the revenge of the 48%. They will swing behind Labour/LD, voting tactically to unseat the Tories. A big chunk of the Brexit true believers, the deluded irreconcilables who think the Tories botched Brexit by not doing it properly, will drink the Reform PLC Kool-Aid.

Lol FT just cant get over an election they lost.

Sad.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,910

Scott_xP said:

@hzeffman

Probably more.
    Every voter? Right, that's me decided. I won't vote :smiley:
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

The voters Labour’s poll,lead is built on, younger, more educated, working, female, are not the demographic types who are attracted by the dubious, simplist charms of St Nigel of The White Cliffs.

Listening to Today focus group in the Weald of Kent constituency yesterday was informative. Young Mums who were clearly not going to be voting Tory.

Reform need to stop being a single issue party and address the costs of living, that could see them picking up votes.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,219

fitalass said:

There is a very real prospect that Farage will win his Clacton seat and post election a merger happens with the remaining conservatives and he becomes leader of the opposition

This has to be labours worst nightmare with Starmer facing Farage every week and the polarisation of our politics
    Unless the Tories end up in the situation I’m betting on (I.e, less than 5o seats) why would the Tory party let Nigel merge with it. That makes zero sense - he’s a one subject pony albeit a subject that creates huge problems for the Tories
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Scott_xP said:

@hzeffman

Probably more.
    Every voter? Right, that's me decided. I won't vote :smiley:
    Me neither it's too expensive.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,127
    Foxy said:

Good morning, everyone.

It's only one poll, and that with changed methodology, but with the declining Tory vote share I do wonder what "core vote" really means.

In any case, I think the Tories abandoned their core vote some time back when they jettisoned Tory Remainers and One Nation Conservatives to pursue socially divisive right wing populism. Once that goes to Reform they have very little left.
    I find it very hard to believe that the blue hoards than rise each five years from their slumber will not turn out for the Tories as they have done for last few decades.

Obviously the SNP, Labour experience in 2015 demonstrates that wipeouts can happen in the U.K. , but it’s very hard to see it happening to the Tories.

Sunak is a terrible leader, Milliband but without the grit, charm or star power.
  • Options
    eek said:

fitalass said:

Unless the Tories end up in the situation I’m betting on (I.e, less than 5o seats) why would the Tory party let Nigel merge with it. That makes zero sense - he’s a one subject pony albeit a subject that creates huge problems for the Tories
    Not sure anything is making sense in politics at present

We even have a labour First Minister refusing to resign when losing a vonc here in Wales
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,486

dixiedean said:

It would be a mirror image of the early 1980s, and after that there wasn't a change of government for 16 years.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,509
    ***Betting Post***

Biden has drifted out to 1.18 for the Democratic Nomination and may even hit 1.2.

Utterly absurd. All the primaries and caucuses are over on Saturday. He's got north or 87% of the vote and virtually all the delegates. This drift can only be explained by the belief that if the Reps ditch Trump the previous month at theirs, that he'll be ditched and bow out too. Wrong on both counts. Otherwise it's a bet he lives another 78 days.

I've topped up. Much better value than Labour OM, now, IMHO.

DYOR.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Good morning, everyone.

I find it very hard to believe that the blue hoards than rise each five years from their slumber will not turn out for the Tories as they have done for last few decades.

Obviously the SNP, Labour experience in 2015 demonstrates that wipeouts can happen in the U.K. , but it’s very hard to see it happening to the Tories.

Sunak is a terrible leader, Milliband but without the grit, charm or star power.
    Only 4 weeks to go thankfully
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,129
    Morning all!

DRoss has called an emergency press conference down in Edinburgh - c. 10am. Speculation that it related to the brutal ousting of Duguid.

Three options:
    1) We're getting someone tired and previously ousted like Findlater
    2) We're getting DRoss - who has seen the Holdenator terminate the Tory vote in Basildon and wants a go himself
    3) We're getting BORIS
  • Options

Morning all!

DRoss has called an emergency press conference down in Edinburgh - c. 10am. Speculation that it related to the brutal ousting of Duguid.

Three options:
    1) We're getting someone tired and previously ousted like Findlater
    2) We're getting DRoss - who has seen the Holdenator terminate the Tory vote in Basildon and wants a go himself
    3) We're getting BORIS

You could change side and surprise us all :smiley::smiley:
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Good morning, everyone.

Only 4 weeks to go thankfully
    My goodness it’s a slog. We could have cut to the chase some time ago.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,225

Sad.
    It is just nonsense. The Tories were fine after Brexit and were riding high in the polls. What screwed them was Johnson's COVID shenanigans and the disastrous Truss budget. The Eurofanatics want to blame everything in Brexit. They still can't accept that the UK has had better economic growth and unemploymemt than the EU since we fully Brexited.
  • Options
    WillG said:

Sad.
    It is just nonsense. The Tories were fine after Brexit and were riding high in the polls. What screwed them was Johnson's COVID shenanigans and the disastrous Truss budget. The Eurofanatics want to blame everything in Brexit. They still can't accept that the UK has had better economic growth and unemploymemt than the EU since we fully Brexited.
    There was life outside London ; who knew ?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 11,046

Scott_xP said:

@hzeffman

Probably more.
    Quite possible, given the precedent our current government has just set.

The average household is paying £3,500 more in tax now than in 2019. The biggest tax raising parliament in UK history.

And I don’t blame the Tories for doing this. They probably should have raised more. Our public infrastructure, services and local government are on their knees after years of no investment.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,230

dixiedean said:

That’s a shame
  • Options
    TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

@hzeffman

Probably more.

The average household is paying £3,500 more in tax now than in 2019. The biggest tax raising parliament in UK history.

And I don’t blame the Tories for doing this. They probably should have raised more. Our public infrastructure, services and local government are on their knees after years of no investment.
    Or were raising record taxes but spending it on the wrong things.
  • Options

WillG said:

Sad.
    There was life outside London ; who knew ?
    Lol
  • Options
    What public services do the Tories plan to cut to fund the gaps on their own spending plans?

Spending plans which, as always, assume fuel duty will be unfrozen (yeah right).
  • Options
    TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

@hzeffman

Probably more.

Get ready for PFI 2
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,819
    edited June 6
    ToryJim said:

Scott_xP said:

@ConnorGillies

@SkyNews

Interesting, from his point of view dissociating the Scottish Tories from the rest of the party would probably be beneficial in the long term. Move to a CDU/CSU type arrangement. It’s probably a lot more boring than that though.
    Indy for SCons! More likely to be about Duguid & his replacement I imagine.
    Besides, what would various SCon leaders do without having to blindly support Conservative leaders and policies (Brexit, Boris, Truss) only to reverse ferret on them when they prove disastrous? Their heads might explode if they had to revert to consistent principle.
  • Options

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

@hzeffman

Probably more.

What would CoE Alanbrooke have stopped spending money on?

Woke diversity consultants in the NHS?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,509
    TimS said:

What public services do the Tories plan to cut to fund the gaps on their own spending plans?

Spending plans which, as always, assume fuel duty will be unfrozen (yeah right).

The Tories are an entirely known entity. There will be a tax threshold freeze and spending restraint in pay and in CSR.

Labour are not.
  • Options
    edited June 6
    WillG said:

Sad.
    Former French President Francois Hollande was interviewed on Sky yesterday and affirmed that there is no way the EU will reopen negotiations for UK to rejoin

This is the point for those who want to rejoin, the EU doesn't want us back
  • Options

WillG said:

Sad.
    Former French President Francois Hollande was interviewed on Sky yesterday and affirmed that there is no way the EU will reopen negotiations for UK to rejoin

Who cares, we can rejoin the Customs Union and other initiatives to undo the frother damage.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Reform need to stop being a single issue party and address the costs of living, that could see them picking up votes.
    No, they should stick to immigration. Its what their voters want. In any case the rest of their policies are as daft as Binfaces.
  • Options
    TimS said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

@hzeffman

Probably more.

What would CoE Alanbrooke have stopped spending money on?

Woke diversity consultants in the NHS?
    That’ll save a whole £30,000 a year. I wonder where the other billions are coming from!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,118
    Cutting their own throats:

Baillie Gifford prepares to withdraw funding from all book festivals
    Investment firm may cease all sponsorship after threats of boycotts from authors and protests by activists over its alleged links to fossil fuels and Israel

https://www.thetimes.com/article/c712859f-4052-481f-bee8-217464c45d46?shareToken=58f5995dfc5fb6107206e97ba0cbd7da
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,387

TimS said:

The Tories are an entirely known entity. There will be a tax threshold freeze and spending restraint in pay and in CSR.

Labour are not.
    Yes. The Tories are known for increasing taxes, borrowing like there's no tomorrow, while simultaneously screwing over public services and allowing millions to come to the UK.

You can only be sure with the Conservatives.
  • Options

TimS said:

Labour are not.
    Tories promised tax cuts last time, but delivered the highest tax burden in history. A known entity.

I suspect Labour, if they get in, will take a similar approach to Labour 97-01, working within tight constraints aiming to make work pay for the less well off.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,361
    edited June 6

Andy_JS said:

"Zac Goldsmith
    @ZacGoldsmith

I understand the anger towards Sunak who has damaged the Party almost beyond repair and all but guaranteed the majority of his MPs will lose their job next month.
    But it’s hard to muster much sympathy given that none of this would have happened without the complicity of a majority of the Party & what is now unfolding was entirely predictable- indeed predicted.
    The hope is that when Sunak disappears off to California in a few weeks there are at least some decent MPs left around which to rebuild 🤞🙏🤞"

https://x.com/ZacGoldsmith/status/1795059856446980240

Goldsmith is utterly deluded if he thinks this is all on Sunak. The Tory party has collectively been high on its own propaganda for the last 10 years. Until they start engaging with real people’s daily concerns they’ll be toast.

And hint, I can say as a resident of South Shropshire that immigration and trans stuff are not top of my list of concerns. Important, especially the former but no more so than public services, climate change and the rebuttal of fascist dictatorships.
    Er... I'm no supporter of Goldsmith but that's exactly what he's not saying. As he points out: "...none of this would have happened without the complicity of a majority of the Party.."
  • Options

WillG said:

Sad.

I think they would ultimately allow us to rejoin. The problem with rejoiner faction is their underlying assumption that we can rejoin on exactly the same terms as we left. That is never going to happen, and the terms we would get might not be ones that a majority would want to agree to.
  • Options
    DoubleDutchDoubleDutch Posts: 161

TimS said:

The Tories are an entirely known entity.
    They are. An entity now known for total confusion, chaos and tanking the British economy.

It will be 20+ years before they repair their trashed reputation in Britain
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

The problem with rejoiner faction is their underlying assumption that we can rejoin on exactly the same terms as we left. That is never going to happen, and the terms we would get might not be ones that a majority would want to agree to.

I don't think either of those statements is true.

I don't think we would rejoin on the same terms.

I don't think different terms can never have majority support.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Though I don't think they will poll even half that in 4 weeks time.

Famagusta parties have always had a low ceiling of support. Even in their heyday and strongest seats they struggled to break 20%.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,361

WillG said:

Sad.

Well that's his opinion and he's entitled to it but in the unlikely event the UK did ask to rejoin, I doubt it would carry much weight. It's a moot point however because it's unlikely to happen in our lifetimes - we've cut off our nose and we can't just stick it back on.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

WillG said:

Sad.

I think they would ultimately allow us to rejoin. The problem with rejoiner faction is their underlying assumption that we can rejoin on exactly the same terms as we left. That is never going to happen, and the terms we would get might not be ones that a majority would want to agree to.
    I can see EEA membership but not rejoin, but I wonder what a rejoin referendum result would be. That would be the way to do it. Follow the Brexit precedent.
This discussion has been closed.