Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Can 7 times elections failure Farage really be CON leader? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
    In lighter news, it looks like the one judge Trump never attacks online, in his Mar-a-Lago case, has gotten a bit smarter with things, by not delaying his May trial date, but reassessing it come March. She can then make a fair decision to delay (it's possible) or an unfair decision to delay, without showing her hand too soon.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,877
    edited November 2023
    Taz said:

Leon said:

I genuinely don’t think there is much future for Jews in the UK

All the venting about the protests from grifting tommeh and co on Twitter, or whatever it is called, from left of centre posters totally ignoring the equally sinister anti semitic undertones of some of the marchers on the other side.
    Increasingly social media debates seem to comprise one group of people accusing another group of hypocrisy. I’d say at least 40% of all “takes” on Twitter on Israel-Palestine and a reasonable proportion on Ukraine (or Brexit on here) are some form of pointing out of hypocrisy.

The fact is we are all hypocrites in one way or another. Human nature.
  • Options

Nick Lowles
    @lowles_nick
    ·
    10m
    About 200 far right protesters are heading for Vauxhall Bridge Road in an attempt to confront pro-Palestinian supporters. This is getting highly dangerous

No surprise the UK far right find common cause with Israel's far right government.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Twitter gets a welcome break :smile:

Owen Jones
    @OwenJones84
    ·
    4m
    It took well over an hour to march to the starting point of the demo.

There’s so many people here that it’s almost impossible to post anything because the mobile networks are overloaded

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84

Pity it's only almost.
    Not sure what he would add to the online discussion.

That's not even a slam on Jones, in his area he's a man to be noticed, I just mean that I am fairly sure twitter's general atmosphere would mean there will be countless pics and comments from the event.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,422
    edited November 2023

Typical biased Met, eh, picking on those poor neo-Nazis.

Callum May Reporting from the Met Police control room
    About 80 counter-demonstrators have now been arrested at Tachbrook Street, I have been told.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-67390343 @ 14:33

Didn't Britain wage two long, hard-fought wars against the Far-right? Now we have Tommy Robinson at the Cenotaph?
    Two? Not sure WWI was against a far right led country, more a Kaiser Willhelm one.

Unless you are referring to napoleon.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,482

kle4 said:

Sums things up in a nutshell...
    (((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h
    In any other context the Left say “if a minority community say they find something offensive or oppressive we must respect that and listen to their lived experience”. Then we have “From the River to the Sea”. At which point it becomes “shut up, we’ll decide what it means”.

I don't agree with the view that just because a group finds something offensive it automatically should be accepted as such (though it should be reasonably considered when deciding it), but it is a fair point that those who do adopt that approach cannot reasonably reject it for one specific area or group.

For me the key indicator it is an offensive slogan is the attempts made to modulate it, the 'between the river and the sea' variant seen a bit recently. It's a tacit admission the original being seen as problematic has some acceptance behind it, so best to adjust.
    From the Mersey to the Dee, Cheshire will be free!
    Cheshire's already been partitioned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_structural_changes_to_local_government_in_England
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,978
    Rauf having fun with the bat as well as the ball.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,096

kle4 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h
    In any other context the Left say “if a minority community say they find something offensive or oppressive we must respect that and listen to their lived experience”. Then we have “From the River to the Sea”. At which point it becomes “shut up, we’ll decide what it means”.

I don't agree with the view that just because a group finds something offensive it automatically should be accepted as such (though it should be reasonably considered when deciding it), but it is a fair point that those who do adopt that approach cannot reasonably reject it for one specific area or group.

For me the key indicator it is an offensive slogan is the attempts made to modulate it, the 'between the river and the sea' variant seen a bit recently. It's a tacit admission the original being seen as problematic has some acceptance behind it, so best to adjust.
    Is that the cheese?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Ironically, many on the Israeli right would agree and urge all Jews to come and live in Israel. Fortunately for Britain and the Jews, it is melodramatic nonsense.
    Melodramatic perhaps, but I do think the last month has shown there is still a considerable amount of anti-semitism in this country, just waiting beneath the surface.
    That partly depends on conflating Jews and Israel, and for that matter there is a degree of anti-everything. Today we have tens of thousands marching in London. Are they all antisemites? Is everyone not marching Islamophobic? Thankfully we do not see the Thames or Tiber foaming with much blood.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

I think he'd have a good chance with Tory members. But I think finding him a seat in Parliament would be tricky, so it's probably a no.

Also, how would he get in the top two for Tory MPs?

Not. Happening.
    Why would the MPs necessarily object? Rees-Mogg, for example, stated a few years ago that UKIP were members of the wider conservative family and the Tories should grasp them to their bosom.
    Like Trump's view re: neo-Nazis and KKK.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,630
    edited November 2023
    Taz said:

Leon said:

All the venting about the protests from grifting tommeh and co on Twitter, or whatever it is called, from left of centre posters totally ignoring the equally sinister anti semitic undertones of some of the marchers on the other side.
    When you hear 300,000 people absolutely SHRIEKING “from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free” as they are addressed by alleged anti-Semite Piers Corbyn, I suggest we have a tiny problem with anti Semitism, yes
  • Options

About 80 counter-demonstrators have now been arrested at Tachbrook Street, I have been told.

Didn't Britain wage two long, hard-fought wars against the Far-right? Now we have Tommy Robinson at the Cenotaph?
    Two? Not sure WWI was against a far right led country, more a Kaiser Willhelm one.

It was a military autocracy with strongly Darwinist ideas. That was exacerbated by Wilhelm but not initiated by him.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h

As far as I can see Israel are going to keep on pounding gaza on the basis that it is 'fighting terrorists' and those on the 'free palestine' left will carry on alienating themselves from mainstream public opinion by doing things like having marches on rememberence day when asked not to. I don't see how any of this helps the cause of freeing palestine.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_structural_changes_to_local_government_in_England
    Good times - a government administrative reorganisation that, whilst not perfect or complete, has been positive and effective for many areas.
  • Options

Well, old Kaiser Bill did occupy Ukraine, and Russia as far east as Rostov...
  • Options

Nick Lowles
    @lowles_nick
    ·
    10m
    About 200 far right protesters are heading for Vauxhall Bridge Road in an attempt to confront pro-Palestinian supporters. This is getting highly dangerous

No surprise the UK far right find common cause with Israel's far right government.
    I was just pondering the irony that they don't also find common cause with their far right fellow travellers in Hamas.

I mean, Netanyahu has. They're very useful to him. Or were.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

I think he'd have a good chance with Tory members. But I think finding him a seat in Parliament would be tricky, so it's probably a no.

Also, how would he get in the top two for Tory MPs?

Not. Happening.
    Why would the MPs necessarily object? Rees-Mogg, for example, stated a few years ago that UKIP were members of the wider conservative family and the Tories should grasp them to their bosom.
    Nigel Farage as a poisonous asp?

Works for me...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nick Lowles
    @lowles_nick
    ·
    10m

I was just pondering the irony that they don't also find common cause with their far right fellow travellers in Hamas.

I mean, Netanyahu has. They're very useful to him. Or were.
    "For years, Netanyahu propped up Hamas. Now it’s blown up in our faces
    "The premier’s policy of treating the terror group as a partner, at the expense of Abbas and Palestinian statehood, has resulted in wounds that will take Israel years to heal from"

https://www.timesofisrael.com/for-years-netanyahu-propped-up-hamas-now-its-blown-up-in-our-faces/
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h

Good times - a government administrative reorganisation that, whilst not perfect or complete, has been positive and effective for many areas.
    'Cheshire West and Cheshire' still remains one of the stupidest and clumsiest names imaginable for a county.

Why didn't they just call them 'Chester' and 'Crewe?'
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,068
    Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

When you hear 300,000 people absolutely SHRIEKING “from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free” as they are addressed by alleged anti-Semite Piers Corbyn, I suggest we have a tiny problem with anti Semitism, yes
    You reckon that the well-being of the Jewish people requires Palestine to be oppressed? What a bizarre take.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,422
    Anyone else on Pakistan at 1000-1? It’s been that kind of tournament…
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,145
    Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Nutter.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Based on the pictures, there are not 300,000 marchers and only a couple of dozen are in danger of hearing anything Piers Corbyn says.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,398
    edited November 2023
    kle4 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h

By the same Double Standards token there is no shortage of 'muscular liberals' normally most keen to say there is no right to be protected from offence who strike a different tone when confronted with this one.

Why? Well my more than tentative explanation is that said muscular liberals when they talked about there being no right to be protected from offence meant specifically Muslims..
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Will be somewhat embarrassing if Pakistan get these! But then our whole tournament has been embarrassing 😈
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    darkage said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h

As far as I can see Israel are going to keep on pounding gaza on the basis that it is 'fighting terrorists' and those on the 'free palestine' left will carry on alienating themselves from mainstream public opinion by doing things like having marches on rememberence day when asked not to. I don't see how any of this helps the cause of freeing palestine.
    I hope they all have a nice day out and shopkeepers and pubs have lots of business.

But in the end it wont achieve much except to highlight our irrelevance.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Ironically, many on the Israeli right would agree and urge all Jews to come and live in Israel. Fortunately for Britain and the Jews, it is melodramatic nonsense.
    Melodramatic perhaps, but I do think the last month has shown there is still a considerable amount of anti-semitism in this country, just waiting beneath the surface.
    That partly depends on conflating Jews and Israel, and for that matter there is a degree of anti-everything. Today we have tens of thousands marching in London. Are they all antisemites? Is everyone not marching Islamophobic? Thankfully we do not see the Thames or Tiber foaming with much blood.
    I couldn't put a number on how many of the marchers (or counter marchers) are antisemites. I don't doubt it is a very small percentage.

But I do think we've seen enough overtly anti-semitic examples in protests around the globe and some here, with people very open and honest about it in their imagery or words, to be confident that small percentage is a big big problem. The counter-marchers is a good case in point - they may be small in number, but their motivations and actions will be taken very seriously nonetheless, as it should.

I am confident anyone who tears down pictures of captured israelis is motivated by anti-semitism (even where not all the captured will be jewish).
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,978
    edited November 2023
    Just as well England aren’t relying on the NRR. 50 partnership for the last wicket!
  • Options
    Willey finishes with 100 wickets.

Woakes also surely bowling for the last time in ODIs. Along with Ali, Wood, possibly Rashid.

Truly a fin de siecle feel to these last few overs.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Just as well England aren’t relying on the NRR. 50 partnership for the last wicket!

The win is enough. But I think they would have been OK anyway with Bangladesh losing.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,529
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

I couldn't put a number on how many of the marchers (or counter marchers) are antisemites. I don't doubt it is a very small percentage.

But I do think we've seen enough overtly anti-semitic examples in protests around the globe and some here, with people very open and honest about it in their imagery or words, to be confident that small percentage is a big big problem. The counter-marchers is a good case in point - they may be small in number, but their motivations and actions will be taken very seriously nonetheless, as it should.

I am confident anyone who tears down pictures of captured israelis is motivated by anti-semitism (even where not all the captured will be jewish).
    I'm not at all confident that only a small proportion of the marchers are anti-semites. I've seldom seen such a hate-filled mob. (Granted, I'm not there - only seeing what the media are showing me.)
  • Options
    darkage said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h

Armistice Day = Ceasefire Day.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h

By the same Double Standards token there is no shortage of 'muscular liberals' normally most keen to say there is no right to be protected from offence who strike a different tone when confronted with this one.

Why? Well my more than tentative explanation is that said muscular liberals when they talked about there being no right to be protected from offence meant specifically Muslims..
    It is certainly true that some of the biggest snowflakes can be found on the right, and the right can be just as keen on banning things and people as the left. It's no surprise people are more keen on drawing a line on offensive content when it approaches their own personal bugbears.

Liberal is just a misused term generally, I'd not be confident in anyone's self assessment as such.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,154

Nick Lowles
    @lowles_nick
    ·
    10m

No surprise the UK far left find common cause with Gaza's terroristic, anti-Semitic government.
  • Options
    Last act of Stokes in ODIs - takes a catch.

Just can't keep him down, can you?
  • Options

Nick Lowles
    @lowles_nick
    ·
    10m

No surprise the UK far left find common cause with Gaza's terroristic, anti-Semitic government.
    And yet it's Israel's far-right government that have killed over 11,000 people in just five weeks...
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,039
    darkage said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h

Er, they didn't have their march when asked not to on Remembrance Day. Remembrance Day is tomorrow. The big march is today.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h

'Cheshire West and Cheshire' still remains one of the stupidest and clumsiest names imaginable for a county.

Yes, it's a tautology. Chester is in West Cheshire. West Cheshire is tge western half of the county of Chester. Either half of the name would have done.
    Though 'Crewe' is more of a stretch. My main complaint about Cheshire East is that East Cheshire would have been better.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,371

Sandpit said:

Will be somewhat embarrassing if Pakistan get these! But then our whole tournament has been embarrassing 😈
    Enjoyed that last wicket stand.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h

Yes, it's a tautology. Chester is in West Cheshire. West Cheshire is tge western half of the county of Chester. Either half of the name would have done.
    Though 'Crewe' is more of a stretch. My main complaint about Cheshire East is that East Cheshire would have been better.
    Anyway, 'From the Pennines to the Dee' would work better.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h

A name change is easy, why they haven't done it since then is beyond me.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,630
    An absolutely openly anti semitic rally here (Piers Corbyn is present of course)

A guy just spoke on the megaphone and said “Zionism is taking over the world” - and got very loud cheers

You can believe me or not

• Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h

You can't just call it (Greater) Chester without annoying everyone outside the city, terrified of a takeover.

You can't leave Chester out of the name, proud ancient city yada yada.

Naming new council areas is a pain. So you get Romford+Hornchurch called Havering and Redbridge named after... a Red Bridge which doesn't even exist any more.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

I'd say the (few) people tearing down pictures are more likely to be opposed to Israel than to Jews. Of course, it might be that when they get to court it turns out they have a long and inglorious history of hostility to British Jews but until then, I remain unconvinced. Of course, taking the view that because Israel is the Jewish state, any opposition to it is probably antisemitic, then yes, they are.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

I'm not at all confident that only a small proportion of the marchers are anti-semites. I've seldom seen such a hate-filled mob. (Granted, I'm not there - only seeing what the media are showing me.)
    Well, I'm trying desperately to maintain my optimism over the numbers openly motivated by such.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h

Cheshire West and Chester, surely!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h

You can't just call it (Greater) Chester without annoying everyone outside the city, terrified of a takeover.

You can't leave Chester out of the name, proud ancient city yada yada.

Naming new council areas is a pain. So you get Romford+Hornchurch called Havering and Redbridge named after... a Red Bridge which doesn't even exist any more.
    There are some others. Bath and North East a Somerset. Blackburn with Darwen. Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole is a bad one.

But - 'Chester' managed to not be named separately in the county name for over nine hundred years. I think it could have survived not being precisely named.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited November 2023
    Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

I find it quite amazing how that chant has been normalised....if I walked around London chanting about demanding the UK is freed by removing all non-white people from the country, I would quite rightly be arrested for racism.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h

I blame autocorrect.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

I'd say the (few) people tearing down pictures are more likely to be opposed to Israel than to Jews. Of course, it might be that when they get to court it turns out they have a long and inglorious history of hostility to British Jews but until then, I remain unconvinced. Of course, taking the view that because Israel is the Jewish state, any opposition to it is probably antisemitic, then yes, they are.
    I don't take the view that any opposition to the Israeli state is antisemitic. But because I see it as very easy to side with the Palestinians against Israeli overreaction without downplaying the atrocities of Hamas, I see no reason to seek to deny or disguise those atrocities by removing the pictures of the captured or dead, unless motivated by a much more visceral hatred of the (mostly) jewish victims.

People may not have a 'solution' to this whole crisis because, well, it's beyond all of us, but they could still oppose the current Israeli action without celebrating or denying what happened. Some do just that, and those people I condemn. Others, it is much more complicated.
  • Options

And we’re shut. £556.13 in takings, which looks like c £94 of profit. A decent start.

Congratulations. Hope it's an omen of good times to come,
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h

The Mersey does flow through Stockport, you know!

Anyway:

From the Roding to Lea, Newham will be free!

From the Sara-Jane to the Mee, Sky News will be free!

From the flower to the bee, Manuka Honey will be free!

• Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,809

And we’re shut. £556.13 in takings, which looks like c £94 of profit. A decent start.

You posted a link on Facebook earlier but I got this message "This content isn't available at the moment
    When this happens, it's usually because the owner only shared it with a small group of people or changed who can see it, or it's been deleted.".
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Its all playing out in very predictable way.

Knuckle draggers have a bust up with the plod, they are treated robustly and arrested. The Tw@tterati say its Braverman's fault, sack her now, they wouldn't have come without what she said. The knuckle draggers will claim see the plod don't treat everybody equally and play the martyr. While the march has people advocating for global interfada, chanting for removal of all Jews from Israel under the cover of a ditty chant, some small groups are openly antisemitic, while the police film them and perhaps arrest a couple in a weeks time.

And tomorrow / next week it will all be about the dangers of right wing racists and that Braverman is the new Donald Trump.
  • Options

Nick Lowles
    @lowles_nick
    ·
    10m

And yet it's Israel's far-right government that have killed over 11,000 people in just five weeks...
    In the context of what Hamas did last month.

And does what Israel does mean that supporting a terroristic, anti-Semitic government is fine and dandy?
  • Options

Not bad at all!
  • Options

Roughly what I've made in an afternoon's punting. Good luck for tomorrow.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h

From the Pennines to the Dee
    Let's stop and have a cup of tea
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Leon said:

An absolutely openly anti semitic rally here (Piers Corbyn is present of course)

A guy just spoke on the megaphone and said “Zionism is taking over the world” - and got very loud cheers

I'm sure they have in their minds a very good reason for including it, but if I had to give advice to the banner holders, including 'boycott McDonalds' in between one about respecting armistices and one about genocide in Gaza may have visually been a mistake.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h

Somewhere up north anyway.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,064
    Lewis Gooddall says that when he questions people on the march about the phrase 'from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free' they say it is misunderstood. Just waiting for someone to explain the true meaning then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35C-YGOKdqg&t=7s

Nick Ferrari gave Ben Jamal 5 chances to explain it.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,806
    EPG said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

You reckon that the well-being of the Jewish people requires Palestine to be oppressed? What a bizarre take.
    These people - the whole lot of them, had sensible British rule and they chose this nonsense.

I think it's clear that the French are at base, responsible for any and all unrest.

The US is almost as bad. They've meddled in the Med for centuries, and they're as unwelcome now as when they started.

(Only marginally tongue-in-cheek)

• Options
    edited November 2023
    I sometimes if the big mistake with unitaries was to call them counties rather than districts.

You can have counties - purely ceremonial and people could decide to use the pre-1973 names if they wished - and districts, as a unit of local government, named after the town where the district council meets, which people are generally already used to.

So you could still have 'Cheshire' but 'Chester District' and 'Sandbach district.'

And still Northamptonshire, but divided into Corby District and Northampton District.

Seems neater, anyway.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,159
    Leon said:

Large number of police protecting far right in a pub from having to listen to Piers Corbyn. :smile:

Lewis Goodall
    @lewis_goodall
    ·
    18m
    Piers Corbyn addressing the crowd outside

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1723355388261654846

That’s exactly where I am

like your frock
  • Options

Lewis Gooddall says that when he questions people on the march about the phrase 'from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free' they say it is misunderstood. Just waiting for someone to explain the true meaning then.

If a slogan or chant is frequently misunderstood (by more than just your political opponents), then it is time to change it, as indeed some have attempted.

If you stick with it even when it is frequently misunderstood, to the undermining of your cause, you're just being stupidly stubborn and for what? A slogan.

See also Defund the Cops, although more people might actually be on board with that on its own merits now.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Its because the meaning is absolutely clear.

Again, you can absolutely go on a march saying that Israel is overstepping the mark here, that there needs to be restraint, there needs to be more done to get aid into Gaza...when you start chanting a terrorist slogan that advocating for the elimination of Jews from Israel, that in my mind isn't a peace march protesting for both sides to come together to find a two state solution.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

If a slogan or chant is frequently misunderstood (by more than just your political opponents), then it is time to change it, as indeed some have attempted.

If you stick with it even when it is frequently misunderstood, to the undermining of your cause, you're just being stupidly stubborn and for what? A slogan.

See also Defund the Cops, although more people might actually be on board with that on its own merits now.
    It's a bit like the time a Senator said the 29 allegations of sexual harassment against him were 'like car crashes - a matter of perception.' To which the interviewer replied, 'Senator, if you have 29 car crashes, you shouldn't be driving.'
  • Options
    Chris said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Nutter.
    Why is he ?

We do have a problem with anti semitism.

The left and the media will focus on r tommeh but the anti semitism from a small minority of the pro Palestine marchers is deeply unpleasant.
  • Options

Nick Lowles
    @lowles_nick
    ·
    10m

And does what Israel does mean that supporting a terroristic, anti-Semitic government is fine and dandy?
    Who are the terrorists bombing civilians right now?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021

I saw him interviewed on C4 News recently. Krishnan GM asked him several times whether Israel had a right to exist. He just could not bring himself to say it did - for fear of falling out with his friends in Hamas, I guess.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    kle4 said:

Maybe its just me. The same way as it really isn't hard to criticise Israel without incorporating Jewish tropes, perhaps if you don't want to be perceived on the side of terrorists or that you advocating for the elimination of Israel, you might be better off staying well clear.

Its a bit like people going to Halloween in black face, then saying yeah but, its not racist, because its a homage to Jay-Z, who is an incredible rapper and brilliant businessman....
  • Options

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h

Anyway:

Well yes. But the Mersey is Cheshire's northern boundary, and the Dee its western. Normally we would go North to South or East to West.

While we're complaining about that sort of thing, I always wondered why Kim Wilde bounded the Kids in America "New York to East California". Missing out New England in orderto make things scan I can understand, but why not West California? I can only assume she got her easts and wests muddled.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I sometimes if the big mistake with unitaries was to call them counties rather than districts.

You can have counties - purely ceremonial and people could decide to use the pre-1973 names if they wished - and districts, as a unit of local government, named after the town where the district council meets, which people are generally already used to.

So you could still have 'Cheshire' but 'Chester District' and 'Sandbach district.'

And still Northamptonshire, but divided into Corby District and Northampton District.

Seems neater, anyway.

I'm not sure that is the issue. Plenty of Unitaries are not called counties, and it seems relatively common to drop the county label when forming the unitary, (Wiltshire, Cornwall, Somerset), with some matching the ceremonial county area and some not.

Surely the problem is we have ceremonial, administrative, and historic counties.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h

Anyway:

Well yes. But the Mersey is Cheshire's northern boundary, and the Dee its western. Normally we would go North to South or East to West.

While we're complaining about that sort of thing, I always wondered why Kim Wilde bounded the Kids in America "New York to East California". Missing out New England in orderto make things scan I can understand, but why not West California? I can only assume she got her easts and wests muddled.
    Pity the poor folks of East Virginia, and let's not forget the miserable sods down in South Macedonia!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Seems neater, anyway.

That was also the big mistake withe the 1974 reorganisation. Have a council for the area of Lancaster and Preston and Blackpool and Burnley and Chorleyand Blackburn - but don't call it Lancashire. Or even a county.Would have got far fewer backs up.
  • Options

Nick Lowles
    @lowles_nick
    ·
    10m

Are Hamas still firing rockets?

You cannot look at what's happening and put all the ire on Israel. Hamas have a massive responsibility for what is going on, at a number of different levels.

If Hamas wanted peace then they should release all the hostages. It'd be simple for them too do that, and if they did, Israel would have much less reason to do what they're doing now. But Hamas won't.
  • Options
    In Swindon they had a reorginsation a number of years ago by parishing the borough.

Perfectly possible to do with a mostly urban area of course, but it has resulted in some less than catchy names, such as Central Swindon North Parish Council.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Police say faked audio purporting to capture the Mayor of London calling for Armistice Day to be re-scheduled for a pro-Palestinian march "does not constitute a criminal offence". A Met spokesperson said specialist officers had reviewed the content.

If that is the case, and not the MET being thick as pig shit in regards to powers they have (because we all know how great the "specialist officers" are), the government need to get on this ASAP.

You should be able to make parodies, but it should be clearly labelled as such. Attempts to spend such material maliciously should be an offense. ML-based dubbing of video with the new audio that includes adjusting the lip sync is also getting extremely good.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h

From the Pennines to the Dee
    Let's stop and have a cup of tea
    By the way, Cheshire is absolutely heartbreakingly beautiful today. I've been to Lymm. You can see why people take to religion on a day like this: you need something to thank for such beauty.
  • Options

Nick Lowles
    @lowles_nick
    ·
    10m

You cannot look at what's happening and put all the ire on Israel. Hamas have a massive responsibility for what is going on, at a number of different levels.

If Hamas wanted peace then they should release all the hostages. It'd be simple for them too do that, and if they did, Israel would have much less reason to do what they're doing now. But Hamas won't.

For all we know the hostages are probably dead under all that rubble resulting from the IDF airstrikes. Probably.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h

It is certainly true that some of the biggest snowflakes can be found on the right, and the right can be just as keen on banning things and people as the left. It's no surprise people are more keen on drawing a line on offensive content when it approaches their own personal bugbears.

Liberal is just a misused term generally, I'd not be confident in anyone's self assessment as such.
    You're accurate and reasonable with your parsing as you often are. It's a bit sterile to trade examples of double standards but I felt I should since we're hearing so much about those on the left. And yes, the right are unbelievable snowflakes, total cry-babies, but here I'm thinking of a less soft and obvious target, people who make big play of their liberalism yet lose it on this issue. But anyway, all of this type of discourse is trivial and self-indulgent compared to what's actually happening in Gaza.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,689

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

lol at well known anti semite Piers Corbyn

What on earth attracted him?

Was he arrested like your 82 chums?
    No. It’s hilarious. The crowd turned on him because one guy with a megaphone denounced him as a Marxist and a thief and a Freemason and everyone looked confused

True story
    One of the more bizarre aspects of Hamas is they blame Freemasonry for spreading ideas of gender equality.

Because obviously, an organisation open in its key areas only to men is an organisation that's dedicated to improving the lot of women and stopping them from understanding they are (in Hamas' words) 'the makers of men.'
    This is the Judeo-Masonic conspiracy thing I guess. They are in cahoots you know to take over the world etc etc...
    Originally, the Freemasons and the real non-conspiracy Illuminati were about separation of church and state. They advocated politics and society being driven by science, not theology.

This is long gone, of course, but it explains the animus against them from various religions.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,806

Nick Lowles
    @lowles_nick
    ·
    10m

It is true that Hamas are hiding behind the civil population. I'm pretty sure it's also true that the IDF are doing whatever they can to keep civilian casualties as small as they can, but that amounts to a big, and unacceptable, number (One is unacceptable). The Israelis are definitely not terrorists.

If the other opponents of Israel had come out and condemned Hamas and helped the Israelis track down and call these terrorists to justice then far fewer civilians would have died. They didn't do so because they don't care about Palestinian lives, and it's ridiculous that they chose to march about claiming they do.

Nonetheless the average protestor has a very good point.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

You posted a link on Facebook earlier but I got this message "This content isn't available at the moment
    When this happens, it's usually because the owner only shared it with a small group of people or changed who can see it, or it's been deleted.".
    Try this one: https://facebook.com/people/Stellar-Stationery/100090694140482/
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

lol at well known anti semite Piers Corbyn

What on earth attracted him?

Was he arrested like your 82 chums?
    No. It’s hilarious. The crowd turned on him because one guy with a megaphone denounced him as a Marxist and a thief and a Freemason and everyone looked confused

True story
    One of the more bizarre aspects of Hamas is they blame Freemasonry for spreading ideas of gender equality.

Because obviously, an organisation open in its key areas only to men is an organisation that's dedicated to improving the lot of women and stopping them from understanding they are (in Hamas' words) 'the makers of men.'
    This is the Judeo-Masonic conspiracy thing I guess. They are in cahoots you know to take over the world etc etc...
    Originally, the Freemasons and the real non-conspiracy Illuminati were about separation of church and state. They advocated politics and society being driven by science, not theology.

This is long gone, of course, but it explains the animus against them from various religions.
    And the Nazis.
  • Options

Nick Lowles
    @lowles_nick
    ·
    10m

For all we know the hostages are probably dead under all that rubble resulting from the IDF airstrikes. Probably.
    So what would you have Israel do?
  • Options

Nick Lowles
    @lowles_nick
    ·
    10m

Bombing children is NOT self-defence.
  • Options

Nick Lowles
    @lowles_nick
    ·
    10m

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,689

Kaiser Bill and chums were hard core right reactionaries, trying to prevent real parliamentary democracy.

You should read up on their agenda - War is good, War is God…

Weimar was everything they hated and feared.

As Prof Tolkien put it, the Nazis were “a combination of the worst elements of Kaiserism and Bolshevism”.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I believe you.

Can’t see why you’d lie
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,809

CatMan said:

Try this one: https://facebook.com/people/Stellar-Stationery/100090694140482/
    Thanks, that works!
  • Options

Nick Lowles
    @lowles_nick
    ·
    10m

No it isn't. But we have the Hamas lunatics desperate to be martyred. And they are surrounded by children. Hell, they've built a base underneath a hospital. Which is a war crime and means that the hospital is no longer protected under the convention btw.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,021

Police say faked audio purporting to capture the Mayor of London calling for Armistice Day to be re-scheduled for a pro-Palestinian march "does not constitute a criminal offence". A Met spokesperson said specialist officers had reviewed the content.

If that is the case, and not the MET being thick as pig shit in regards to powers they have (because we all know how great the "specialist officers" are), the government need to get on this ASAP.

You should be able to make parodies, but it should be clearly labelled as such. Attempts to spend such material maliciously should be an offense. ML-based dubbing of video with the new audio that includes adjusting the lip sync is also getting extremely good.

There was a lawyer on WATO this week talking about AI and fakes and there is some law which covers fake things that make you look bad. I’m really really annoyed however as I cannot remember what it was called but his example was a set of fake photos of someone showing them up to no good would be considered against this law as even though they can be shown to be fake they still cause damage.

At some point in the next two years I will remember what the law was called.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

In Swindon they had a reorginsation a number of years ago by parishing the borough.

Perfectly possible to do with a mostly urban area of course, but it has resulted in some less than catchy names, such as Central Swindon North Parish Council.

That's poor. There must be something nice- a park, a parish church, a local.worthy- they could have used. Even in Swindon.

(That may be the way to go. Unitary districts to do boring sensible stuff best done at scale, and urban parishes with independent budgets to do nice things like flower boxes, Christmas lights and so on. And regional somethings with powers in the range of Metro mayors to First Ministers- not necessarily the same everywhere.)
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    TimS said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Increasingly social media debates seem to comprise one group of people accusing another group of hypocrisy. I’d say at least 40% of all “takes” on Twitter on Israel-Palestine and a reasonable proportion on Ukraine (or Brexit on here) are some form of pointing out of hypocrisy.

The fact is we are all hypocrites in one way or another. Human nature.
    Yes the 'debate' is massively meta in that sense. People get more animated about the opposing punditry on the conflict than about the conflict itself.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

I believe you.

Can’t see why you’d lie
    That looks like a static, fringe demo and not part of the march. Hardly anyone is there and boycotting McDonalds is hardly mainstream.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,502
    edited November 2023

Kaiser Bill and chums were hard core right reactionaries, trying to prevent real parliamentary democracy.

You should read up on their agenda - War is good, War is God…

Weimar was everything they hated and feared.

As Prof Tolkien put it, the Nazis were “a combination of the worst elements of Kaiserism and Bolshevism”.
    Kaiser Bill marched his troops almost as far east as Hitler did, just that the November 1918 Ceasefire got in the way. He also controlled Georgia briefly.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,163
    Only one number, when spelt out, has its letters in alphabetical order.

What is it?
This discussion has been closed.