Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Can 7 times elections failure Farage really be CON leader? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,684
edited November 2023 in General
imageCan 7 times elections failure Farage really be CON leader? – politicalbetting.com

There’s a fair bit of speculation at the moment about Farage becoming Tory leader. The only problem with this is that he would first have to become an MP and that means winning a seat at a general election or by-election.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,671
    First, not like Farage in the next Tory leadership election
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,685
    No way will Farage become Tory leader.

If Rees-Mogg thinks they have similar views, perhaps RM should do the right thing and leave the Tories in favour of UKIP.
  • Options
    FPT:
    Sandpit said:

Deepfake audio of Sadiq Khan backing pro-Palestine protest on Armistice Day 'not a criminal offence', Met says
    https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/sadiq-khan-deepfake-audio-not-crime-met-police/

Legislation urgently needed.

ETA the risk is going all DDA and inadvertently banning Spitting Image.

Should it be a criminal offence, to knowingly pass off a fake recording of a public figure as genuine?

Really interesting policy question.
    Good question. Yes is my answer, impressionists could cover themselves by a little acknowledgement on the video or audio. With Spitting Image, of course, no reasonable person is going to think that is real.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    I think he'd have a good chance with Tory members. But I think finding him a seat in Parliament would be tricky, so it's probably a no.
  • Options
    Been thinking about this. What if Suella unveils Nigel as her surprise running mate when she launches her leadership campaign? That would be an absolute sensation and would go down a storm with the membership.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

I think he'd have a good chance with Tory members. But I think finding him a seat in Parliament would be tricky, so it's probably a no.

Also, how would he get in the top two for Tory MPs?

Not. Happening.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    Only if they don’t think Suella a sufficiently suicidal choice.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    QTWTAIN.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

rkrkrk said:

Not. Happening.
    People said that about Boris too.
    Plus the Tory MPs left after the next election will probably be a more right wing bunch.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970

FPT:

Sandpit said:

Deepfake audio of Sadiq Khan backing pro-Palestine protest on Armistice Day 'not a criminal offence', Met says

Should it be a criminal offence, to knowingly pass off a fake recording of a public figure as genuine?

Good question. Yes is my answer, impressionists could cover themselves by a little acknowledgement on the video or audio. With Spitting Image, of course, no reasonable person is going to think that is real.

Been thinking about this. What if Suella unveils Nigel as her surprise running mate when she launches her leadership campaign? That would be an absolute sensation and would go down a storm with the membership.

There are no "running mates".
    Secondly. Even if there were, one who isn't a member of the Tory Party probably wouldn't be allowed.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Not. Happening.
    Why would the MPs necessarily object? Rees-Mogg, for example, stated a few years ago that UKIP were members of the wider conservative family and the Tories should grasp them to their bosom.
  • Options
    Phil said:

Disruption at the Cenotaph:

https://news.sky.com/story/fighting-reported-as-people-shouting-england-til-i-die-try-to-reach-cenotaph-13005216

What a surprise: it’s the fascist shitheads stirred up by Braverman et al turning up for a ruck & when they don’t get to make one, turning on the police instead.

"Vote Conservative"
  • Options
    Nigel Farage is generally a 10 or 12/1 shot to win IACGMOOH. There might be worse bets if you think the man is popular with the hoi polloi. Wealth warning: I've never actually watched the programme.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,995

rkrkrk said:

Not. Happening.
    Why would the MPs necessarily object? Rees-Mogg, for example, stated a few years ago that UKIP were members of the wider conservative family and the Tories should grasp them to their bosom.
    Like a viper?
  • Options
    40% of the overs, 33% of the wickets, 26% of the runs.
  • Options
    That’s MILES away. Total waste of a review.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

But it was Priti Patel he was dancing with at the conference. Was that false flag iyo?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

But it was Priti Patel he was dancing with at the conference. Was that false flag iyo?
    Maybe he can't tell them apart.
  • Options
    Phil said:

https://news.sky.com/story/fighting-reported-as-people-shouting-england-til-i-die-try-to-reach-cenotaph-13005216

What a surprise: it’s the fascist shitheads stirred up by Braverman et al turning up for a ruck & when they don’t get to make one, turning on the police instead.

Tricky one. Police playing favourites if they arrest them.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,778
    kinabalu said:

Phil said:

And if they don't.

But bear in mind Malmesbury's dictum about the polis saving arrests for later.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I suspect Nige - the old bounder! - was driven by a different dynamic in that situation.
  • Options
    Mike said "can 7 times elections failure Farage really be Con leader?"

Yes he could, because a large lump of the "Conservative" Party is really just UKIP in disguise.

I think he would be perfect for them. He is exactly the sort of bigmouth that spouts the crap they like to hear.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Phil said:

And if they don't.

Can we trust a Malmesbury dictum though?
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,447
    OT. No chance. Even if by some mischance he got into Westminster as a Con MP - which is exceedingly unlikely - there is very little chance that he'd get the necessary 33% +1 of the parliamentary party to get him into the final 2 and to the members' vote. He's just too unpopular and divisive with MPs and, moreover, I suspect the polling would look terrible. Unlike Truss and IDS at the time of their election (two other duds who should never have got anywhere near the leadership) Farage is only too well known and the electoral cost only too apparent.
  • Options
    Looks like Angeball has hit the skids then.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,813

kinabalu said:

Maybe he can't tell them apart.
    I think my favourite political one-liner of the last year or so was Braverman being described as Priti Patel when she's been fed after midnight.
  • Options
    I do wonder what Norman Tebbit might think, about Moeen Ali and Adil Rashid taking apart the Pakistani batsmen. :D
  • Options
    Phil said:

I do wonder what her hold on Sunak is? How far does she have to step over the line before he gathers the nerve to act? Will he ever do it?

It must be a truly huge piece of dirt....
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,650
    Nigelb said:

Only if they don’t think Suella a sufficiently suicidal choice.

I was surprised that she was named Sue Ellen after the character in Dallas.

Bit of an odd choice naming a daughter for an alcoholic character.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,417

FPT:

Sandpit said:

Do you really want the Met applying a “no reasonable person” test?

“You arrested 187 people at the World Parody Festival, including the Professor of Parody at LSE. On the basis that their presentation on Parodying Parody in the style of Parody was Fake News?”

“Ur… well… Under the 2023 H’Act….”
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    edited November 2023
    Sandpit said:

I do wonder what Norman Tebbit might think, about Moeen Ali and Adil Rashid taking apart the Pakistani batsmen. :D

?? I think Tebbit's argument was that Asian UK nationals should support England not that they cannot play for them - in fact playing for England is a sign they do support England so he will be pleased if anythng
  • Options

Phil said:

I do wonder what her hold on Sunak is? How far does she have to step over the line before he gathers the nerve to act? Will he ever do it?

No, I think Sunak is Mr Clean personally. He just needed her endorsement to make the final two.
  • Options

OT. No chance. Even if by some mischance he got into Westminster as a Con MP - which is exceedingly unlikely - there is very little chance that he'd get the necessary 33% +1 of the parliamentary party to get him into the final 2 and to the members' vote. He's just too unpopular and divisive with MPs and, moreover, I suspect the polling would look terrible. Unlike Truss and IDS at the time of their election (two other duds who should never have got anywhere near the leadership) Farage is only too well known and the electoral cost only too apparent.

It depends how many sensible ones get voted out at the next election and how many nutters take their place. Remember that the MPs who make the first selection are put there by voters who feel that those MPs will align with their core beliefs.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

?? I think Tebbit's argument was that Asian UK nationals should support England not that they cannot play for them - in fact playing for England is a sign they do support England so he will be pleased if anythng
    Yes, I imagine he might have a big smile on his face tonight.
  • Options

Mike said "can 7 times elections failure Farage really be Con leader?"

Yes he could, because a large lump of the "Conservative" Party is really just UKIP in disguise.

I think he would be perfect for them. He is exactly the sort of bigmouth that spouts the crap they like to hear.

Yes, I think it's quite possible. He wants it and the membership wants it. If the Tories take an absolute hammering at the GE there will be much discussion about the Right needing to re-align for the post-Brexit 21st century. Nige will feature prominently in such a discussion.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    No, IMHO.

But if yes, the route is there.

Farage joins party and is gifted an Essex/Kent/Lincolnshire seat that a rightish Tory can't lose.

The Tories really do get nearly wiped out as in the worst of the current polling, but Farage is one of the less than 100 Tory MPs.

Of the rump of Tory MPs one third + 1 are prepared to back Farage in the run offs because about a third of the MPs are insane. Maths tells you that's enough to be in the last two. (If there are 100 MPs you need 34 stalwart loyalist backers at most. That's all)

Members vote Farage. Nicholas Soames, Ken Clarke, Heseltine, etc join Labour.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,995
    Pakistan 126-5 now. Game meandering towards its end.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755
    algarkirk said:

No, IMHO.

But if yes, the route is there.

Farage joins party and is gifted an Essex/Kent/Lincolnshire seat that a rightish Tory can't lose.

The Tories really do get nearly wiped out as in the worst of the current polling, but Farage is one of the less than 100 Tory MPs.

Of the rump of Tory MPs one third + 1 are prepared to back Farage in the run offs because about a third of the MPs are insane. Maths tells you that's enough to be in the last two. (If there are 100 MPs you need 34 stalwart loyalist backers at most. That's all)

Members vote Farage. Nicholas Soames, Ken Clarke, Heseltine, etc join Labour.

On that scale those last three will be voting from the grave
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,223
    Phil said:

I’m here. It’s fucking nonsense
  • Options
    7 times, eh?

PONFWAS
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Phil said:

And if they don't.

It’s not a dictum. It’s just observing what the police do over decades -

1) Fuckwits do something criminal at a demo.
    2) People outraged at no arrests on the spot.
    3) Fuckwits arrested later.

They seem to have done this with Fascists, Islamofascists and others.

IIRC they found that arrests in the middle of a demo were more likely to lead to release without charge because of issues with evidence. Whereas video evidence and statements plus a “clean” arrest got them slam dunks in court.

In the case of Stephen Christopher Yaxley-Lennon I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets lifted for breaking one of any number of orders that had been made against him. Remember the court picketing thing?
  • Options

FPT:

Sandpit said:

I think satirists would be covered as clear from the context as not really the person.

It would be reasonable to make it criminal to fake a person with the intention to deceive.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2023
    82 of the football hooligans arrested apparently, "to prevent a breach of the peace".
  • Options
    Leon said:

Phil said:

Must be deep fake footage of them fighting with the police then.
  • Options

Leon said:

Phil said:

It was 4 hours ago at the Cenotaph, they have moved on.
  • Options

Leon said:

Phil said:

There’s about 200 of them. Low life hoons

The march is enormous and profoundly menacing
  • Options

FPT:

Sandpit said:

“You arrested 187 people at the World Parody Festival, including the Professor of Parody at LSE. On the basis that their presentation on Parodying Parody in the style of Parody was Fake News?”

Why are you making it so difficult? Legislation that says the onus is on the creator* to make it clear that the media is fake would do the job.

(* I'd put the onus on the platform / publisher, but that's a different matter.)
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Phil said:

And if they don't.

IIRC they found that arrests in the middle of a demo were more likely to lead to release without charge because of issues with evidence. Whereas video evidence and statements plus a “clean” arrest got them slam dunks in court.

In the case of Stephen Christopher Yaxley-Lennon I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets lifted for breaking one of any number of orders that had been made against him. Remember the court picketing thing?
    Its likely he back off to prison shortly over his claims of having no money / assets....
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Phil said:

It was 4 hours ago at the Cenotaph, they have moved on.
    No they haven’t

• Options

Phil said:

I think the reasoning is that it's better to have Braverman inside the tent, pissing all over the sleeping bags, than it is to have her outside the tent, pissing, sh1itting and vomiting in, before burning down the tent on the basis that the existence of the tent is the real problem.
  • Options
    This is going to be a peak PB moment as retired doctors in Leicester try to contradict what I am seeing with my own eyes in London
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,127
    Nice to see a good turnout for the march, and the police firmly handling people trying to interfere with their right to protest (thugs in pubs and thugs in ministerial office).

Nearly a third of a million people on the police estimate (which generally tends to be conservative). Can even the PB Tories produce sufficient bile for those numbers?
  • Options
    Adil Rashid on fire tonight!
  • Options
    This is the edge of the March. Lots of this stuff

Cars driving randomly fast

Then they stop. Random shouts and scuffles
  • Options
    Typical biased Met, eh, picking on those poor neo-Nazis.

Callum May Reporting from the Met Police control room
    About 80 counter-demonstrators have now been arrested at Tachbrook Street, I have been told.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-67390343 @ 14:33
  • Options
    lol at well known anti semite Piers Corbyn

What on earth attracted him?

• Options
    A

FPT:

Sandpit said:

Why are you making it so difficult? Legislation that says the onus is on the creator* to make it clear that the media is fake would do the job.

(* I'd put the onus on the platform / publisher, but that's a different matter.)
    The Horizon computer system says the above post is Fake News….

Seriously, without a legally watertight definition all the wrong people will be of to prison.

• Options
    Leon said:

Was he arrested like your 82 chums?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Phil said:

And if they don't.

Its likely he back off to prison shortly over his claims of having no money / assets....
    Strangely, there is never a shortage of things to arrest him for.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,180

82 of the football hooligans arrested apparently, "to prevent a breach of the peace".

Football fans will be used to being held by the police in case they commit a crime.
  • Options

About 80 counter-demonstrators have now been arrested at Tachbrook Street, I have been told.

Didn't Britain wage two long, hard-fought wars against the Far-right? Now we have Tommy Robinson at the Cenotaph?
  • Options

Didn't Britain wage two long, hard-fought wars against the Far-right? Now we have Tommy Robinson at the Cenotaph?
    That was foreign far right.

Totally different.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Leon said:

No. It’s hilarious. The crowd turned on him because one guy with a megaphone denounced him as a Marxist and a thief and a Freemason and everyone looked confused

True story
  • Options
    Large number of police protecting far right in a pub from having to listen to Piers Corbyn. :smile:

Lewis Goodall
    @lewis_goodall
    ·
    18m
    Piers Corbyn addressing the crowd outside

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1723355388261654846
  • Options

There is no rhyme nor reason in today's febrile post-modern world. It's just bonkers.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    Big Sam in the Old Trafford directors' box.
    Surely not?
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Large number of police protecting far right in a pub from having to listen to Piers Corbyn. :smile:

Lewis Goodall
    @lewis_goodall
    ·
    18m

That’s exactly where I am

• Options
    Leon said:

This is going to be a peak PB moment as retired doctors in Leicester try to contradict what I am seeing with my own eyes in London

Sky are showing your far-right chums scuffling with the Feds in Whitehall :lol:
  • Options
    Sums things up in a nutshell...

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h
    In any other context the Left say “if a minority community say they find something offensive or oppressive we must respect that and listen to their lived experience”. Then we have “From the River to the Sea”. At which point it becomes “shut up, we’ll decide what it means”.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    Leon said:

Leon said:

No. It’s hilarious. The crowd turned on him because one guy with a megaphone denounced him as a Marxist and a thief and a Freemason and everyone looked confused

True story
    One of the more bizarre aspects of Hamas is they blame Freemasonry for spreading ideas of gender equality.

Because obviously, an organisation open in its key areas only to men is an organisation that's dedicated to improving the lot of women and stopping them from understanding they are (in Hamas' words) 'the makers of men.'
  • Options
    Leon said:

Lewis Goodall
    @lewis_goodall
    ·
    18m

That’s exactly where I am

In the pub?
  • Options
    Willey gets his 100 wickets.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

True story
    One of the more bizarre aspects of Hamas is they blame Freemasonry for spreading ideas of gender equality.

Because obviously, an organisation open in its key areas only to men is an organisation that's dedicated to improving the lot of women and stopping them from understanding they are (in Hamas' words) 'the makers of men.'
    Ironic given that women can't become Masons? Or can they?
  • Options
    Willey pulls out another.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

True story

Ironic given that women can't become Masons? Or can they?
    Not in Anglophone countries. They have a separate organisation. I believe they can in France.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

The batsman's Holding the bowler's Willey?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I've already done that. Did you Miss Tess Tickle's letter?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

True story
    Judeo-Masonic conspiracy theory is a thing.

As you say, it is all getting hopelessly confused.

Orwell would have had a bloody field day with this day of protest.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I've already done that. Did you Miss Tess Tickle's letter?
    Um, I was out shopping for a while :)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

True story

This is the Judeo-Masonic conspiracy thing I guess. They are in cahoots you know to take over the world etc etc...
  • Options
    I genuinely don’t think there is much future for Jews in the UK
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770
    I do think there is value in the argument the Tories need to distinguish themselves more, ideologically, and there's only so much value in tacking centre on various economic issues (culturally things are a little more mixed). But going from that to some just wanting to have Farage be in charge seems a little over the top in terms of setting a new direction.
  • Options
    Leon said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    21s
    I said a few days ago that it was clear that the longer the pro-Palestine marches were allowed to continue unchecked, the more overt the racism was becoming. I’ve got to be honest though, I didn’t think it would be this bad.
  • Options
    Okay, England just about save enough face in this tournament with today’s performance.
  • Options

Leon said:

‘The Feds’ 😂😂
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ironically, many on the Israeli right would agree and urge all Jews to come and live in Israel. Fortunately for Britain and the Jews, it is melodramatic nonsense.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,127
    Leon said:

I doubt you ever stop trying to stoke up pathetic online arguments long enough to "genuinely" do anything.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Lillee. C Dilley. B. Willey
  • Options

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h
    In any other context the Left say “if a minority community say they find something offensive or oppressive we must respect that and listen to their lived experience”. Then we have “From the River to the Sea”. At which point it becomes “shut up, we’ll decide what it means”.

I don't agree with the view that just because a group finds something offensive it automatically should be accepted as such (though it should be reasonably considered when deciding it), but it is a fair point that those who do adopt that approach cannot reasonably reject it for one specific area or group.

For me the key indicator it is an offensive slogan is the attempts made to modulate it, the 'between the river and the sea' variant seen a bit recently. It's a tacit admission the original being seen as problematic has some acceptance behind it, so best to adjust.
  • Options
    Taz said:

ydoethur said:

Other way round and here's the video:-
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ej796
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

‘The Feds’ 😂😂
    I can do humour :)
  • Options
    Twitter gets a welcome break :smile:

Owen Jones
    @OwenJones84
    ·
    4m
    It took well over an hour to march to the starting point of the demo.

There’s so many people here that it’s almost impossible to post anything because the mobile networks are overloaded

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84
  • Options

Leon said:

Ironically, many on the Israeli right would agree and urge all Jews to come and live in Israel. Fortunately for Britain and the Jews, it is melodramatic nonsense.
    Melodramatic perhaps, but I do think the last month has shown there is still a considerable amount of anti-semitism in this country, just waiting beneath the surface.
  • Options
    Leon said:

All the venting about the protests from grifting tommeh and co on Twitter, or whatever it is called, from left of centre posters totally ignoring the equally sinister anti semitic undertones of some of the marchers on the other side.
  • Options

Twitter gets a welcome break :smile:

Owen Jones
    @OwenJones84
    ·
    4m
    It took well over an hour to march to the starting point of the demo.

There’s so many people here that it’s almost impossible to post anything because the mobile networks are overloaded

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84

Pity it's only almost.
  • Options

Taz said:

ydoethur said:

Other way round and here's the video:-
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ej796
    Whichever way round, Lillee was assonanated
  • Options

Nick Lowles
    @lowles_nick
    ·
    10m
    About 200 far right protesters are heading for Vauxhall Bridge Road in an attempt to confront pro-Palestinian supporters. This is getting highly dangerous
  • Options
    kle4 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h

I don't agree with the view that just because a group finds something offensive it automatically should be accepted as such (though it should be reasonably considered when deciding it), but it is a fair point that those who do adopt that approach cannot reasonably reject it for one specific area or group.

For me the key indicator it is an offensive slogan is the attempts made to modulate it, the 'between the river and the sea' variant seen a bit recently. It's a tacit admission the original being seen as problematic has some acceptance behind it, so best to adjust.
    From the Mersey to the Dee, Cheshire will be free!
This discussion has been closed.