Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A quarrel in a far away country, between people of whom we know nothing – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,669
    Leon said:

Increasingly official

Urgent | Two US officials to CBS: There appears to be a rolling start to a ground invasion in Gaza by Israeli forces

Hopefully they do it a bit quicker than Russia.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162
    A friend of mine posted this on LinkedIn.

Just to give people a sense of how ordinary people think. He is the regional manager for a multinational.

Post #2: Trying to run a business while a Nation is at war and in mourning

Its been more than 2 weeks now since that horrible Saturday and yet at 10pm last night I get this message from our regional CFO:

They found my daughter’s friends dead.
    I will have limited availability tomorrow.
    I have to be there for her."

Visiting one of our manufacturing plants yesterday, I sat with a manager and as we were talking I looked over at the barren wall in her office and saw a newly placed picture of a smiling couple. I asked who they were and she took a deep breath and then explained that she and the girl in the picture shared an apartment together in their 20s and their families have been close ever since. The couple were taken hostage (or killed?) by Hamas but their 3 kids survived and our now with their grandparents.

Over the last several years we have worked very hard to try and create an inclusive environment in our sites, walking through a plant you can walk past discussion in Hebrew, Arabic, Russian, English and Amharic - now that multicultural environment is being tested in ways we have never encountered with employees expressing real anger, pain and fear -- emotions that have consumed all of us and cannot be expected to somehow disappear once a person clocks in to work.

In my last post I talked about our need to show empathy but did not speak about how personally challenging this all is for me to try and focus and present a positive front. The scale and scope of this tragedy/travesty has hit me and my family on an every level - personal, communal and national.

Like most of my friends, It is hard to sleep and every morning I wake up, rub my eyes and think for a brief moment that this is just a dream (nightmare). I cannot fathom the pain and loss being experienced by thousands of people across Israel that have buried (or are still waiting to bury) their loved ones or those that are fighting to bring their loved ones back from the evil grip of Hamas captors.

An an employer we cannot pretend to fill the void or provide the clarity and support so needed (and lacking) during this national crisis but we will continue to try and find ways to *meet our employees where they are* and - together - find ways to re-energize, re-focus and get back to the business of building -- all the while making sure that we do not forget about all those that don't have the privilege to move on from this tragedy.
  • Options
    Sky News...never wrong for long...
  • Options

Trump probably got more help from CBS under Les Moonves, than he did from Fox:
    'Leslie Moonves can appreciate a Donald Trump candidacy.

Not that the CBS executive chairman and CEO might vote for the Republican presidential frontrunner, but he likes the ad money Trump and his competitors are bringing to the network.

“It may not be good for America, but it’s damn good for CBS,” he said of the presidential race.'
    source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/leslie-moonves-donald-trump-may-871464/

Most other major network executives weren't as candid -- but followed similar policies.

Isn't that "shamed fired-for-sexual-harrassment former CEO of CBS Les Moonves"?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,777

Not that the CBS executive chairman and CEO might vote for the Republican presidential frontrunner, but he likes the ad money Trump and his competitors are bringing to the network.

“It may not be good for America, but it’s damn good for CBS,” he said of the presidential race.'
    source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/leslie-moonves-donald-trump-may-871464/

Most other major network executives weren't as candid -- but followed similar policies.

But he’s Talent. And therefore those silly moral rules don’t apply. Remember?
  • Options
    South Park latest episode, absolute brutal smackdown of Disney.
  • Options

copyright...Woger.....
  • Options
    edited October 2023

But the "don't try to overthrow the emperor and lose" rule still did...
  • Options
    Dino Zoff.

Remember him ? The Italian goalkeeper and I think captain of the 1982 WC winning team.

But four years earlier he conceded consecutive goals of this quality:

https://youtu.be/NR27qbP9A08?t=174
    https://youtu.be/gdpMj0SZDy0?t=45
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,912
    Well done to Khan, Burnham and Sarwar
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,547
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

viewcode said:

And so, as every bloody October, it begins...

Darren Grimes

@darrengrimes_
    ·
    4h
    Clocks go back an hour this weekend, so we all get to enjoy the darkness that little bit more. It may have made sense in the past, but personally I’d quite like to stay on BST. Anyone else?

And so it begins...
    And so it begins...
    And so it begins...
    Do people like Darren Grimes not notice the darkness at the start of the day alleviated by the clocks going back? Certainly it was pretty gloomy at 7.30am today and I'm verymuch looking forward to it being rather less so next week. An earlier dusk seems to me an acceptable price to pay for being able to get up with the dawn for a little longer.

Or maybe Darren Grimes is one of the special breed of idiot - they emerge every year - who think that the clocks going back means earlier evenings AND later mornings.
    No it feels different down south

There we miss the evening light, we have to suffer dusk at 3.45pm so northerners can go to work in the cold vague greyness of dawn

FFS you’re northerners. You’re meant to have a horrible time and be sardonic and gritty about it, this is what you’re for
    To be fair, I was in Perthshire this morning.
    But it's been too dark in the mornings for about four weeks now.
    And basically, my body clock is better suited to GMT. Which is why I'm posting at this time of night.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,777

But the "don't try to overthrow the emperor and lose" rule still did...
    Treason never prospers…
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,135
    "The race against time to stop Xi Jinping from putting an end to Taiwan’s ambiguous freedom
    The Taiwanese case is different from Ukraine, and Beijing may have learnt from Putin’s mistakes
    Charles Moore"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/10/27/taiwan-xi-jinping-china-ccp-south-china-sea-invasion/
  • Options
    CatMan said:

kle4 said:

At the end of the day, Johnson must know he could have been PM for another six years if he had not got pissed in No 10 during covid and then lied constantly about it for months.

It is Shakespearean tragedy.

Now he is on GB news along with Oliver and Lozza.

Not throwing away internal political capital on trying to protect a grifter like Paterson would have helped too.

Ultimately he was brought down because his MPs felt he was demanding too much of them in defending all his scandals for the benefeit he would bring them. Many may well regret that now, since a rebrand has not worked, but better discipline on his part and he'd probably still be there.
    Does anyone know *why* he wasted so much political capital trying to save Paterson? I don't think they were big mates (does Boris even have any real friends?). Was it just because he thought after the 2019 Election he could just do whatever he wanted and never really thought that the rules applied to him?
    Didn’t Charles Moore persuade him to?

This discussion has been closed.