Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A quarrel in a far away country, between people of whom we know nothing – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

Boris and Farage on GB “News”.

But I don’t doubt that Boris will be reasonably entertaining. Comic bollocks is actually his metier, he’s a better “performer” than writer for sure.

Isn't there a decent amount of evidence that, as a live performer with a sober audience, he's actually pretty hopeless?

And that his turn, such as it is, wears very thin very fast.
    Not that I ever listened to it much, but I caught Boris on 'Desert Island Discs' early on in his career. Painful really: he'd made no effort at all, couldn't remember the choices he'd made and just blathered on about Richard Clayderman. He was clearly someone who thought his presence alone was entertaining enough.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,542
    edited October 2023
    EPG said:

AlistairM said:

Have a look at the Hamas headquarters. Right beneath a hospital. Hamas do not care about any civilian lives lost.

The Israeli Defense Force has released an Infographic showing the Hamas Headquarters and Terrorist Complex beneath the Al-Shifa Hospital in Gaza City.
    https://x.com/sentdefender/status/1717909792851677399?s=20

I suppose that legitimises mass murder of people unable to comply with the expulsion order, so.
    Actually it could be considered to do so, as was pointed out in Ukraine:

https://genevasolutions.news/peace-humanitarian/ukraine-is-targeting-hospitals-always-a-war-crime

Which is why it is a war crime to use a hospital as a military base in time of war.*

Hamas, (and their Iranian overlords) who of course, don't care about Gazans any more than they do Israelis, are not worried about this. But we should be.

*Incidentally this is what Amnesty International criticised Ukraine for, although in that case there was some doubt as to whether the hospitals were actually being used as military bases.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,084
    Hey Twitter algorithm, how’s the censorship of news links working out for y’all?
    https://twitter.com/tedgioia/status/1717692029361123698

I recognise the mild irony in my posting this, as it's still one of my most used sources of news.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370

biggles said:

Boris Johnson to join GB News as a presenter.

Best place for the loon. I stood for over an hour at Basel Airport this morning queuing at passport control whilst EU nationals waltzed past me. The Frogs loved holding us up. Thanks Boris. You give politics a filthy name.
    I’ve heard this rubbish before. There are many valid criticisms of Brexit but this isn’t one of them.

I have travelled a lot in Europe post-Brexit. Sometimes it’s been quicker to be non-EU (holiday destinations with e-gates), usually it’s the same, very occasionally it’s been slower. Overall? No change.
    Nah its dreadful if you are British
    I must not be British. Blimey, the transformation of the “join the EU” nutters into nu-KIP is complete.
  • Options
    biggles said:

biggles said:

Best place for the loon. I stood for over an hour at Basel Airport this morning queuing at passport control whilst EU nationals waltzed past me. The Frogs loved holding us up. Thanks Boris. You give politics a filthy name.
    I’ve heard this rubbish before. There are many valid criticisms of Brexit but this isn’t one of them.

I have travelled a lot in Europe post-Brexit. Sometimes it’s been quicker to be non-EU (holiday destinations with e-gates), usually it’s the same, very occasionally it’s been slower. Overall? No change.
    I must not be British. Blimey, the transformation of the “join the EU” nutters into nu-KIP is complete.
    When I arrived in Crete, they only had two lanes open anyway so everyone was processed the same way.

Mind, it was 23.30.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Yeah?

In Catania airport the Italians have introduced a special lane for Brits (plus Americans, Japanese, Koreans, the usual). They’ve put in scanners and after the scanner a man stamps your passport in half a second

The EU queue and “approved nations” queue were the exact same size and moved at the exact same pace

Honestly, stop whining about passport queues. The problems are being ironed out and pretty soon technology will render all passport queues and eventually all passports a thing of the past
    There is no reason whatsoever for queues.

When we travelled to Canada a few months ago the passport queue was all automated. There was only one queue, regardless of whether you were Canadian, American, British or anything else everyone went through the same queue, which took us about 30 seconds to reach the front of the queue from entering the room.

There were digital scanners that took scans of our passports and photos of my wife and I (not the kids), and printed a barcode which we then took to a human who scanned the barcode and waved us through.

If any country hasn't sorted out its own passport control yet, it should. Its not a reason to be in a political union with it.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,725
    Saint Chapelle is one of the most exquisite buildings in the world. I’ve had fam and friends go there - North Americans or Aussies not used to great gothic architecture - and burst into tears
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,923
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

The Vatican museums aren’t exactly shit, either

There are dozens of 'not exactly shit' museums and galleries but we've been blown away by the Mauritshuis today, just saying.

Anyway, a discussion on the finest art galleries in the world has to beat best and worst* carbs surely?

(*Grits, definitely.)
    You get some nice natas and coffee in the cafe, too - and outside of tourist season, it's pretty quiet..
    It was nice and quiet today. Plenty of chance to take in each painting, even headliners, Girl With a Pearl Earring, The Goldfinch, View of Delft, etc. Contrast that with the scrum around Mona Lisa at the Louvre or Van Gogh's Sunflowers etc. in Amsterdam.

The lighting at the Mauritshuis is perfect too, all the paintings are beautifully presented.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,394
    biggles said:

biggles said:

The point is that Boris lied to us and everything is more difficult. On a n
    Basic level, try posting a present to Germany and pay the ludicrous tariff. The whole thing is fucked. Ask British business about how it's changed. Its fucked
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,887

biggles said:

biggles said:

Basic level, try posting a present to Germany and pay the ludicrous tariff. The whole thing is fucked. Ask British business about how it's changed. Its fucked
    Well it’s only the latte-sipping elitist wankers who want to export to Germany so - what’s the problem?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,211
    The worst passport experience I had in post-Brexit world was in Mexico.

My wife and I landed in Punta Mita. The airport was relatively quiet, with perhaps 20 people queing for the solitary inspector, and then a dozen e-gates with maybe 40 people waiting for them. The e-gates were labled "US, Canada, EU/EEA and UK".

We went for the e-gates and waited perhaps five minutes to get to the front. The e-gates refused to let us through. An immigration official came up to us, looked at our passport, said "e-gates, no UK". We pointed to the sign, he said "no UK, use other line".

The other line now had 300 people in it, because a big plane had just landed from Taiwan.

We waited more than two hours for the single, over-worked, immigration official who - when we got to the front - was very suspicious about why we hadn't use the e-gates.

Sigh.

(Not really Brexit's fault. But bloody annoying.)
  • Options

Leon said:

Yeah?

In Catania airport the Italians have introduced a special lane for Brits (plus Americans, Japanese, Koreans, the usual). They’ve put in scanners and after the scanner a man stamps your passport in half a second

The EU queue and “approved nations” queue were the exact same size and moved at the exact same pace

Honestly, stop whining about passport queues. The problems are being ironed out and pretty soon technology will render all passport queues and eventually all passports a thing of the past

When we travelled to Canada a few months ago the passport queue was all automated. There was only one queue, regardless of whether you were Canadian, American, British or anything else everyone went through the same queue, which took us about 30 seconds to reach the front of the queue from entering the room.

There were digital scanners that took scans of our passports and photos of my wife and I (not the kids), and printed a barcode which we then took to a human who scanned the barcode and waved us through.

If any country hasn't sorted out its own passport control yet, it should. Its not a reason to be in a political union with it.
    Quite so

It’s also in the interest of nearly every European country to make passport queues as brisk as possible for holiday makers - as holiday makers bring money and they can choose to go elsewhere

For countries that really depend on British tourists - Portugal, Spain, Greece (in parts) - it’s a no brainer. Speed the queue. And soon the queues will be gone

It is possibly only the French who might slow the Brits down out of spite but I think even they are now over Brexit
  • Options

Leon said:

Yeah?

Everywhere is going e-gates; it will make traveling around the world a hell of a lot easier. (So long as the signs don't lie.)
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Yeah?

Quite so

It’s also in the interest of nearly every European country to make passport queues as brisk as possible for holiday makers - as holiday makers bring money and they can choose to go elsewhere

For countries that really depend on British tourists - Portugal, Spain, Greece (in parts) - it’s a no brainer. Speed the queue. And soon the queues will be gone

It is possibly only the French who might slow the Brits down out of spite but I think even they are now over Brexit
    Most of the major European airports (Rome, etc.) already have e-gates that accept Brits. It's in smaller airports where you are likely to find it a little more difficult.
  • Options
    Karen Pollock in the Holocaust Education Trust's October newsletter is uncharacteristically downbeat:

Since I wrote to you about the horrific massacre in Israel (you can read our statement again here), antisemitism in the UK has increased to exponential levels and many are feeling a heightened sense of anxiety as events continue to unfold. Our work to educate about the Holocaust and contemporary antisemitism could not be more important.

We know lots of people, including many in the Jewish community are feeling troubled and unsure due to current events.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

O/T The Mauritshuis in The Hague must surely be the finest art gallery in the world. A perfect gem.

No, absurd

It only has Dutch golden age art, really. Which js amazing but rather limiting…

It is one of the finest SMALL museums in the world
    Its focus is a big plus imo. Too many art galleries try to cover far too much, and do it poorly.

I may be biased by my love of the Dutch Golden Age, of course.
    Well, that's a great PB question.

What are the best *small* art galleries in the world?

The requirement being that you can see all the exhibits in an hour.

I would nominate the Hammer in Los Angeles, with an honourable mention for the Santa Barbara Museum of Art.

The Gulbenkian then.
    Confine yourself to the paintings, and you could do that.
    No. Absurd American bias

The Courtauld beats all of those
    Says you.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    biggles said:

biggles said:

Over the past year, I've flown to Madrid, Heraklion, Zagreb and Dubrovnik, and it couldn't be smoother.

Returning to Luton Airport from Dubrovnik was less impressive.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Yeah?

Quite so

I take the long view. By the time global warming has kicked in and everybody in the French desert wants to come here to cool off, they'll have to wait.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,541
    ydoethur said:

Karen Pollock in the Holocaust Education Trust's October newsletter is uncharacteristically downbeat:

Since I wrote to you about the horrific massacre in Israel (you can read our statement again here), antisemitism in the UK has increased to exponential levels and many are feeling a heightened sense of anxiety as events continue to unfold. Our work to educate about the Holocaust and contemporary antisemitism could not be more important.

We know lots of people, including many in the Jewish community are feeling troubled and unsure due to current events.

Can I add "increased to exponential levels" to the suggestions from earlier of hated phrases?
  • Options
    Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

Can I add "increased to exponential levels" to the suggestions from earlier of hated phrases?
    It is a phrase whose use is increasing exponentially.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

GIN1138 said:

Don't think it will derail SKS getting to Downing St. as the British public have made up their minds. They want the Tories OUT!

It is, however, a big warning sign of what's going to happen when Labour get into government... Not just this but over so many things such as strikes, Brexit, net zero, probably house building... Labour is very likely to get into power and rapidly disintegrate.

One term Lab government, IMO.

Wishful thinking because the Tories have so badly shit the bed.

Having said that UK Labour needs to look at NZ Labour for what happens when you over promise and badly fail to deliver.

But Starmer is no Ardern.
    His top team is reasonably impressive and I expect his Cabinet to be more so (Benn etc).
    As a leftie, I feel Labour is positively obsessive is not promising to deliver, at any rate anything that costs money! Sadly they probably have to be in view of the current mess.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,782
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yeah?

Quite so

Most of the major European airports (Rome, etc.) already have e-gates that accept Brits. It's in smaller airports where you are likely to find it a little more difficult.
    Plenty of e-gates at Faro. Unfortunately not in use when we arrived last month.

Never mind the EU, we should join Schengen.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    ydoethur said:

Im currently re-reading Timur Vermes "Look who's back". It has got a bit more of an edge this time round.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Look_Who's_Back
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited October 2023
    Boris joining GB News....at this rate there will be more former Tory MPs on there than actually sitting in parliament.

They are always losing loads of money and no obvious business model to ever turn it around, not sure hiring the likes of Boris will do much more than lose them even more dosh.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,542
    The Washington Post commits jouirnalism: 'Fighters in Gaza launched a barrage of rockets toward Israel and in the direction of al-Ahli Hospital 44 seconds before an explosion there that killed at least 100 people, according to a visual analysis by The Washington Post.
    . . .
    The analysis of that and other videos, in addition to expert review of imagery of the blast site, provides circumstantial evidence that could bolster the contention by Israel and the U.S. government that a stray rocket launched by a Palestinian armed group was responsible for the Oct. 17 explosion.'
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2023/10/26/gaza-hospital-blast-evidence-israel-hamas/

The article seems quite well done, but I must add that I am no expert in analyzing weapons videos.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,887

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yeah?

Quite so

The UK should certainly join Schengen.
    As the world’s second largest exporter of services, it would be a big boost to economic performance (and make life generally much lower hassle).
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Don't think it will derail SKS getting to Downing St. as the British public have made up their minds. They want the Tories OUT!

It is, however, a big warning sign of what's going to happen when Labour get into government... Not just this but over so many things such as strikes, Brexit, net zero, probably house building... Labour is very likely to get into power and rapidly disintegrate.

Having said that UK Labour needs to look at NZ Labour for what happens when you over promise and badly fail to deliver.

His top team is reasonably impressive and I expect his Cabinet to be more so (Benn etc).
    As a leftie, I feel Labour is positively obsessive is not promising to deliver, at any rate anything that costs money! Sadly they probably have to be in view of the current mess.
    Oh dont worry Nick Im sure you can mess it up even more.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370

biggles said:

biggles said:

Yes I only have to look around me to see the dystopia of Britain today. It’s like Mad Max out there. Oh for the simple pleasures of the world before 2016 when the EU used to send us all a food parcel of pate de foie gras, a case of champagne, and Parisian hooker once a week.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

Are you suggesting that there is exponential growth in the use of the word exponential?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,963

biggles said:

I recently landed in Helsinki in a mixed party of North Americans, Australians, EU and Brits. The EU folk were through in minutes, while we Brits had to queue up for the non EU for about an hour. The worst bit was the pisstaking by Australians and Canadians saying UK should have stayed in the EU.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

#costofcovid
  • Options
    edited October 2023

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yeah?

Quite so

As the world’s second largest exporter of services, it would be a big boost to economic performance (and make life generally much lower hassle).
    A form of Schengen is coming anyway. Everyone will be photographed with facial recognition on arrival whether they like it or not. Computers will process you as you walk to the arrivals lounge and get your luggage

Customs/cops will be alerted to villainous types who will be collared as they walk, everyone else will breeze through. No need for passports

When you think about it, it is absurd we are relying on these 19th century paper documents

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,126

Life shouldn't be all about convenience.
  • Options
    At one time, some American tourists concluded that the British enjoyed queueing, since the tourists saw so many queues in Britain. If that was ever true, I gather it is no longer so.
  • Options
    Be here now

The Duomo of Ortygia in the slant evening sun. The columns on the left come from the original Greek temple to Athena, built right here in 400BC

• Options
    edited October 2023
    BBC News - Hate crime soars in London amid Israel-Gaza conflict
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67241374

Imagine how high it would be if the MET actually did their job....
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,126
    "Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

Have to hand it to GB News. Andrew Neil leaves & everybody laughs. So they hire Farage & get top rated show. Then Laurence Fox leaves & everybody laughs again. So they hire former Prime Minister Boris Johnson & will now lock down the centre right. They're not going away - they're here to stay.
    3:51 PM · Oct 27, 2023"

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1717916821901209986
  • Options

Boris joining GB News....at this rate there will be more former Tory MPs on there than actually sitting in parliament.

They are always losing loads of money and no obvious business model to ever turn it around, not sure hiring the likes of Boris will do much more than lose them even more dosh.

The home of impartial news, champions of free speech and debate ran by failed establishment politicians from the governing party.
  • Options
    MuesliMuesli Posts: 92
    AlistairM said:

Have a look at the Hamas headquarters. Right beneath a hospital. Hamas do not care about any civilian lives lost.

The Israeli Defense Force has released an Infographic showing the Hamas Headquarters and Terrorist Complex beneath the Al-Shifa Hospital in Gaza City.
    https://x.com/sentdefender/status/1717909792851677399?s=20

The IDF is hardly an objective source of information and I'm not sure anybody should set much store by the credibility of their 'intelligence' either given their failings re the Hamas-led atrocities on 7 October.

As with statistics issued by the Gaza Ministry of Health, IDF propaganda should be taken with liberal quantities of salt.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,711
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yeah?

Quite so

A form of Schengen is coming anyway. Everyone will be photographed with facial recognition on arrival whether they like it or not. Computers will process you as you walk to the arrivals lounge and get your luggage

Customs/cops will be alerted to villainous types who will be collared as they walk, everyone else will breeze through. No need for passports

When you think about it, it is absurd we are relying on these 19th century paper documents
    But we need them in order to be able to vote, Mr Leon. I wonder what European or other foreigner thought that one up for us.....
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

Have to hand it to GB News. Andrew Neil leaves & everybody laughs. So they hire Farage & get top rated show. Then Laurence Fox leaves & everybody laughs again. So they hire former Prime Minister Boris Johnson & will now lock down the centre right. They're not going away - they're here to stay.

Thanks Matt, leave your CV at reception and we'll get back to you.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

O/T The Mauritshuis in The Hague must surely be the finest art gallery in the world. A perfect gem.

No, absurd

Its focus is a big plus imo. Too many art galleries try to cover far too much, and do it poorly.

I would nominate the Hammer in Los Angeles, with an honourable mention for the Santa Barbara Museum of Art.

The Gulbenkian then.
    No. Absurd American bias

Says you.

That's from their Chinese porcelain collection, btw.

Elsewhere in the building ..masterpieces by western European artists such as Domenico Ghirlandaio, Rubens, Rembrandt, Rodin, Carpeaux, Houdon, Renoir, Dierick Bouts, Vittore Carpaccio, Cima da Conegliano, Van Dyck, Corot, Degas, Nattier, George Romney, Stefan Lochner, Maurice-Quentin de La Tour, Édouard Manet, Henri Fantin-Latour, Claude Monet, Jean-François Millet, Sir Edward Burne-Jones, Thomas Gainsborough, Joseph Mallord William Turner, Jean-Honoré Fragonard, Giovanni Battista Moroni, Frans Hals, Ruisdael, Boucher, Largillière, Andrea della Robbia, Pisanello, Jean-Baptiste Pigalle, Antonio Rossellino, André-Charles Boulle ,Charles Cressent, Oeben, Riesener, Antoine-Sébastien Durand, Charles Spire, Jean Deforges, François-Thomas Germain...

Are you thinking of the modern art building next door, Leon ?
  • Options

As an infrequent but pro-EU traveller, I have to confess that any passport queues due to Brexit pale into utter insignificance when compared with fucking EasyJet's inability to provide an airplane anywhere proximate to the time that it is due to take off.

You should try Wizz Air. Last year, we booked a flight to Dubrovnik, and we landed at Zagreb, close to midnight. They kindly offered to transport everyone by coach to Dubrovnik the following morning, and they all got there by six in the evening. We booked a hotel and flew the following day, and then sued them for £1,209 on our return, which we recovered.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

I genuinely don't understand their approach to hiring people. They hired a load of pros from Sky and ITV and I get Farage hiring (as he was a big draw on LBC before their caned him).

But then they also hire total loons, like absolute tinfoil hat nutjobs or midlife crisis breakdown types like Fox.
  • Options

The home of impartial news, champions of free speech and debate ran by failed establishment politicians from the governing party.
    So why are you getting excited ? TV is for oldies like me, younguns dont watch it. Is it just the idea that people you dont like can express their views.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,124

As well as presenting he is, apparently, also producing his shows. AIUI producing involves thought and careful planning.
    Hmm.
  • Options

biggles said:

Nope. I am back and forth across Europe and the rest of the world all the time and there is absolutely no uniform rule about which airports are harder to get through being British outside the EU. There are some which are a nightmare for everyone and some which are great.

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,773
    ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

Various organisations are reporting increases in antisemitic attacks/crimes in the multiple hundreds of percent, since 7th October.

I seem to recall seeing a number that Islamophobic attacks/crimes had more than doubled.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    edited October 2023
    Leon said:

Indeed, it's not really an argument about EU membership, it's a need for automation. It's nuts that paper documents are checked when biometrics are available, doing it manually almost certainly has a higher error rate than the automated check. So it's not only slower, and labour intensive, it's also likely to be less secure.

No country serious about controlling their borders should be eyeballing paper documents unless it's unavoidable.
  • Options

As an infrequent but pro-EU traveller, I have to confess that any passport queues due to Brexit pale into utter insignificance when compared with fucking EasyJet's inability to provide an airplane anywhere proximate to the time that it is due to take off.

They are awful, aren't they? And they never issue refunds no matter how late the flight (well, officially they do if it's three hours late).

On that subject, I wonder RyanAir haven't started including 'plane to take off on time' in their pricing plans.
  • Options
    Is there going to be a betting line on how many months before Boris gets caught bonking a employee of GB News....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

They are awful, aren't they? And they never issue refunds no matter how late the flight (well, officially they do if it's three hours late).

On that subject, I wonder RyanAir haven't started including 'plane to take off on time' in their pricing plans.
    For all their many faults Ryanair have an excellent record on punctuality.
  • Options

O ye gods and little fishes.
  • Options
    A

Is there going to be a betting line on how many months before Boris gets caught bonking a employee of GB News....

Easy money at any odds.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Its because they deliberately overstate travel time.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Which is why I'm surprised they don't charge a premium for it.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,151

ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

Are you suggesting that there is exponential growth in the use of the word exponential?
    Literally.

:):):)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It’s SleazyJet. Get it right.

Bit like Fucker Carlson.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,634
    edited October 2023
    Sean_F said:

You should try Wizz Air. Last year, we booked a flight to Dubrovnik, and we landed at Zagreb, close to midnight. They kindly offered to transport everyone by coach to Dubrovnik the following morning, and they all got there by six in the evening. We booked a hotel and flew the following day, and then sued them for £1,209 on our return, which we recovered.
    Thanks. Trouble is, I live conveniently close to Gatwick and the places we want to go to are usually served by Easyjet from there. May need to re-think.
    Whoops - just read that more carefully, and you're not really recommending Wizz Air, are you.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Easyjet and Wizzair both rely upon most people complaining, but not suing them, on return. Wizzair's complaints policy is to just ignore complaints. Thousands do sue them (Luton bailiffs now get an immense amount of work serving warrants upon both companies) but it ought to be tens of thousands.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Sean_F said:

Thanks. Trouble is, I live conveniently close to Gatwick and the places we want to go to are usually served by Easyjet from there. May need to re-think.
    Whoops - just read that more carefully, and you're not really recommending Wizz Air, are you.
    No. Never again. The people who took up their generous offer were left in the airport, for six hours.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Easyjet and Wizzair both rely upon most people complaining, but not suing them, on return. Wizzair's complaints policy is to just ignore complaints. Thousands do sue them (Luton bailiffs now get an immense amount of work serving warrants upon both companies) but it ought to be tens of thousands.
    Does that strategy venture into fraud if taken too far?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Problem is for the loss I've suffered - around £160 one way and another - it isn't really worth the hassle of suing.

Will leave a nasty online review instead.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I passed one of the local Jewish schools today and can report that... it is half term.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,062

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yeah?

Quite so

We’ve been trialing allowing French people on day trips to use their ID cards instead of passports as a large number of French don’t have passports and it was damaging the large numbers of school kids coming over for trips. It appears to have worked very well with an increase in French visitors and one third of them are using ID cards rather than passports.

The next stage of the trial is discussions with the UK gov early next year about expanding the travel allowed on ID cards to three days.

I don’t know whether the trial will end up with any benefits to the UK in allowing the same use of ID cards for travel to UK instead of passports but it might be a positive step for making travel easier into the UK.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

The problem is really that people want rock bottom prices and a reliable service. And they chose the very lowest price every time.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,634
    ydoethur said:

Never used Ryanair, but I hate EasyJet with a vengeance. Always delayed. No information given. No apologies made. Online tracker lies. And yet, more frequent flyers than us seem to just tolerate it - I guess they're just used to it.

I've asked SKS to put "nationalise EasyJet" in Labour's manifesto. I can ask him to add Ryanair if you wish.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Marc Thiessen was impressed by Mike Johnson's first speech as Speaker:
    'For millions of Americans listening to Rep. Mike Johnson (R-La.) for the first time Wednesday, the new House speaker made a really good first impression. After Johnson accepted the speaker’s gavel, his first message was directed not to his fellow House Republicans, or conservative voters, but his Democratic opposition.

“I know we see things from very different points of view,” he said, directly addressing House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.). “But I know that in your heart, you love and care about this country, and you want to do what’s right. And so, we’re going to find common ground.”'
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/10/26/house-speaker-mike-johnson-promising-start/
    speech transcript: https://transcripts.cnn.com/show/se/date/2023-10-25/segment/06

(Johnson and Thiessen, unlike the Loser, are "full spectrum" conservatives. In addition -- trigger warning -- Johnson is an evangelical, again unlike the Loser. Some commenters here may never forgive him for that.)
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

I'm not sure.

Not many people know that by law, you're entitled to £350 per day, per person, if your holiday is disrupted by flight delays. That's in addition to out of pocket expenses, like acommodation, new flights, taxis, etc.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

No, absurd

The Gulbenkian then.
    No. Absurd American bias

Says you.

Elsewhere in the building ..masterpieces by western European artists such as Domenico Ghirlandaio, Rubens, Rembrandt, Rodin, Carpeaux, Houdon, Renoir, Dierick Bouts, Vittore Carpaccio, Cima da Conegliano, Van Dyck, Corot, Degas, Nattier, George Romney, Stefan Lochner, Maurice-Quentin de La Tour, Édouard Manet, Henri Fantin-Latour, Claude Monet, Jean-François Millet, Sir Edward Burne-Jones, Thomas Gainsborough, Joseph Mallord William Turner, Jean-Honoré Fragonard, Giovanni Battista Moroni, Frans Hals, Ruisdael, Boucher, Largillière, Andrea della Robbia, Pisanello, Jean-Baptiste Pigalle, Antonio Rossellino, André-Charles Boulle ,Charles Cressent, Oeben, Riesener, Antoine-Sébastien Durand, Charles Spire, Jean Deforges, François-Thomas Germain...

Well for a start I would dispute that the Gulbenkian is small, which is what we were arguing about? The best small museum?

It is a splendid museum but it is fairly massive IIRC

Whereas the Courtauld is small but exquisitely formed and has three of the most famous paintings in the entire world

The Bar at the Folies Bergere - Manet

Self Portrait with Bandaged Ear - Van Gogh

Adam and Eve - Cranach

And you can whizz through the rest in an hour or two

• Options

ydoethur said:

Never used Ryanair, but I hate EasyJet with a vengeance. Always delayed. No information given. No apologies made. Online tracker lies. And yet, more frequent flyers than us seem to just tolerate it - I guess they're just used to it.

I've asked SKS to put "nationalise EasyJet" in Labour's manifesto. I can ask him to add Ryanair if you wish.
    I find Jet2Com and Iberia, both very good.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

No, absurd

The Gulbenkian then.
    No. Absurd American bias

Says you.

Well for a start I would dispute that the Gulbenkian is small, which is what we were arguing about? The best small museum?

Whereas the Courtauld is small but exquisitely formed and has three of the most famous paintings in the entire world

Adam and Eve - Cranach

The Courtauld is absolutely magnificent, and would definitely be a part of any great small museums list.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,462
    Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

'Locking down the centre right' with the Boris Johnson show? I think I'm laughing again.
  • Options
    'How on earth can you get to this point!’ Noddy Holder’s wife slams sex education in schools
    https://www.gbnews.com/news/noddy-holder-wife-slams-sex-education-schools-gillian-keegan-uk-latest

Posted without comment.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Marc Thiessen was impressed by Mike Johnson's first speech as Speaker:
    'For millions of Americans listening to Rep. Mike Johnson (R-La.) for the first time Wednesday, the new House speaker made a really good first impression. After Johnson accepted the speaker’s gavel, his first message was directed not to his fellow House Republicans, or conservative voters, but his Democratic opposition.

“I know we see things from very different points of view,” he said, directly addressing House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.). “But I know that in your heart, you love and care about this country, and you want to do what’s right. And so, we’re going to find common ground.”'
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/10/26/house-speaker-mike-johnson-promising-start/
    speech transcript: https://transcripts.cnn.com/show/se/date/2023-10-25/segment/06

(Johnson and Thiessen, unlike the Loser, are "full spectrum" conservatives. In addition -- trigger warning -- Johnson is an evangelical, again unlike the Loser. Some commenters here may never forgive him for that.)

I hope you are right, because I would love a moral Speaker of the House. Someone who, even if I disagreed with them, I could respect.

But Mr Johnson was - IIRC - a full on election denier back in 2020.

My great fear, for the future of the US, is if Biden were to win the Presidential election, and the House of Representatives were to refuse to certify the election. That's how civil wars happen.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,571

ydoethur said:

I passed one of the local Jewish schools today and can report that... it is half term.
    "increased to exponential levels" ???

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,714
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Problem is for the loss I've suffered - around £160 one way and another - it isn't really worth the hassle of suing.

Will leave a nasty online review instead.
    Use a section 75 claim or chargeback. Straightforward and always works. Did chargeback for easyJet.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,124

ydoethur said:

Ryanair is OK if one doesn’t try and push the boundaries. In my experience, anyway.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

'Locking down the centre right' with the Boris Johnson show? I think I'm laughing again.
    I'm just relieved it's only the centre right that Johnson will be locking down this time :wink:

(I think I'm centre-enough to avoid the centre-right lockdown)
  • Options
    Ryanair and easyJet are both fine. Not great not terrible. No worse nor better than most other airlines

The problem is that these days the really cheap tickets have gone. Everyone wants to travel again. Airlines and hotels are rammed
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,571
    The mood on Starmer summed up in a focus group 'Sod it, might as well give him a try, because he can’t be any worse'

https://twitter.com/LukeTryl/status/1717808511126581578
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,930
    edited October 2023
    It will possibly have blown over by then but there are few issues in British and European politics as visceral as apartheid. And since South Africa this is seen (certainly on the left) as the next great injustice.

(This woman on question time speaks for many; From Northern Ireland. Worth watching the whole piece https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaXNkCfLF6A)

I'm sure Starmer will water down his intemperate comments but if he doesn't there will be a backlash. A lot will depend what happens in the next few months. Blair was able to lose his support in a short time with a wrong move on Iraq and so could Starmer over Palestine
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

I'm not sure.

Not many people know that by law, you're entitled to £350 per day, per person, if your holiday is disrupted by flight delays. That's in addition to out of pocket expenses, like acommodation, new flights, taxis, etc.
    If a company knows they are bound by law to provide compensation but set up systems to deliberately deny that compensation, including lying to customers, then to me it seems to tick the boxes of gaining a financial advantage by false representation.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,562

BBC News - Hate crime soars in London amid Israel-Gaza conflict
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67241374

Imagine how high it would be if the MET actually did their job....

How can they be expected to when there are misgendering incidents to investigate, diversity targets to achieve or shoplifters to ignore?
  • Options
    @Sean_F

There's clearly a gap in the market for a specialist law firm whose only business is suing EasyJet/WhizzAir/etc.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

No, absurd

The Gulbenkian then.
    No. Absurd American bias

Says you.

Adam and Eve - Cranach

The Courtauld is absolutely magnificent, and would definitely be a part of any great small museums list.
    The Guggenheim in Venice is fucking lovely. That serene location. It is impossible to be sad there

And I know this coz I once got dumped half an hour before I went there. I was quite upset. But by the time I came to the Brancusi in the garden overlooking the grand canal I was perfectly happy again.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 914
    In Spain my granddaughter was on strike yesterday. She is 14 and at school -was an officially sanctioned "strike" to protest about the Israeli -Hamas war.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

150 majority with nobody expecting much beyond an end to relentless bullshit and rank incompetence.

Talk about the sweet spot.
  • Options
    Roger said:

It will possibly have blown over by then but there are few issues in British and European politics as visceral as apartheid. And since South Africa this is seen (certainly on the left) as the next great injustice.

(This woman on question time speaks for many; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaXNkCfLF6A)

I'm sure Starmer will water down his intemperate comments but if he doesn't there will be a backlash. A lot will depend what happens in the next few months. Blair was able to lose his support in a short time with a wrong decision on Iraq and so could Starmer over Palestine

I'm always fascinated by the way the british Left decides it can willy nilly tell other people how to run their countries . Its just imperialism by other means.
  • Options
    Roger said:

(This woman on question time speaks for many; From Northern Ireland. Worth watching the whole piece https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaXNkCfLF6A)

I'm sure Starmer will water down his intemperate comments but if he doesn't there will be a backlash. A lot will depend what happens in the next few months. Blair was able to lose his support in a short time with a wrong decision on Iraq and so could Starmer over Palestine

My irony meter exploded so badly it obliterated half of Crete.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    edited October 2023
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Ryanair are great. Flown with them loads of times, never a problem and punctual (within acceptable tolerances). Maybe I've been lucky but I can't help thinking that there are a load of whingers about.

The only airline that got my back up is Wizz Air during the pandemic - couldn't be contacted for refunds.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said: 'My great fear, for the future of the US, is if Biden were to win the Presidential election, and the House of Representatives were to refuse to certify the election. That's how civil wars happen.'

I share your fear, but less so after watching, and then reading, Johnson's speech, and seeing what he did yesterday. There was no mention of the Loser in the speech, nor was there any mention of the 2020 election. (A careful reader can even find examples in the speech where he rejects the Loser's policies.)

Yesterday he met with President Biden, not with the Loser. And when asked by a reporter about his part in election denial, he simply moved on to the next question. That may not be courageous, but it is, unfortunately, a practical tactic, for now.

But, read the transcript, and judge for yourself. It's not long.

• Options

ydoethur said:

"increased to exponential levels" ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ8TlWd5pLc&t=69s
  • Options

Roger said:

(This woman on question time speaks for many; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaXNkCfLF6A)

I'm always fascinated by the way the british Left decides it can willy nilly tell other people how to run their countries . Its just imperialism by other means.
    But as imperialisms go I'd say campaigning against apartheid beats invading Iraq.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,906
    edited October 2023
    rcs1000 said:

@Sean_F

There's clearly a gap in the market for a specialist law firm whose only business is suing EasyJet/WhizzAir/etc.

https://www.flightright.co.uk/about-us

Gap filled.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

@Sean_F

Gap filled.
    Capitalism is amazing like that :smile:
  • Options

The mood on Starmer summed up in a focus group 'Sod it, might as well give him a try, because he can’t be any worse'

https://twitter.com/LukeTryl/status/1717808511126581578

My thoughts entirely
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

@Sean_F

Gap filled.
    Capitalism is amazing like that :smile:
    Yeah, less good in the policing of blue chip vs individuals in the first place though. Regulators need to be tougher when obvious, unfair and persistent shenanigans are deployed.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

It’s SleazyJet. Get it right.

Bit like Fucker Carlson.
    Jizz Air.
This discussion has been closed.