Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The July 20th by-elections – latest betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,539

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I think the wishes for chaos in Russia are unwise.

A country as vast and well-armed as that does not spiral into chaos without it affecting large areas of the rest of the world, for diverse, military, migratory , and economic reasons. It wouldn't be something we could just cheerfully watch from our armchairs.

Hopefully there will be a full blown civil war and the country will be less vast and less well armed by the end of it.
    C'mon. This is heartless, blase and juvenile.
    I have plenty of heart for the victims of Moscow's aggression.

Which includes plenty of every day Russians who are repressed and sent to the meat grinder in order to support Moscow's regime.

The collapse of Russia as a unitary state would be great news for the world, and great news for ordinary Russians.

Why are you so heartless as to oppose that?
    But a 'full blown civil war in Russia' - your words - really isn't something to hope for. It'd be terrible in and of itself plus nobody can model where it leads with any confidence at all.
    A full-blown civil war would be the second-best option possible, behind a rapid victory for one side or the other who immediately decides to withdraw Russian forces from Ukraine as a result.

Given that Putin launched this war, and Prigozhin willingly smashed Bakhmut to pieces over several months, I don't have much hope for the ideal scenario. A full-blown civil war is a more likely path to Russian troops leaving Ukraine, as they are pulled back to fight on one side or the other. And then Ukraine will know peace, and can start the long process of reconstruction and dealing with the grief of its losses.

So, yeah, I'm pretty down with hoping for a Russian civil war actually. If Putin does do a runner and Prigozhin takes over without a fight, and simply continues the war in Ukraine for more months of violence and destruction, I don't see that as a preferable outcome.
    The potential carnage from that scenario is massive and we have no clue where it would lead. If a bloody disintegration of Russia were to happen, with various 'big man' psychopaths trading atrocities, I'd be hoping the resulting horrors are limited to Russia, that whatever sort of Russia emerges from it is better than this one, and of course that it leads to the liberation of Ukraine, but there's no way on earth I'm hoping it happens in the first place.
    Imagine you have the choice between two different futures in four weeks time.

In scenario 1, Prigozhin's rebellion is rapidly defeated, or rapidly victorious, and the Russian army remains fighting in Ukraine. Ukrainian cities continue to face bombardment from Russian missiles and artillery shells. The war continues. The Ukrainian counterattack makes progress, but inevitably there are many casualties, both Ukrainian and Russian.

In scenario 2, Prigozhin's rebellion makes some progress, but Putin fights on. There is fighting in and around Moscow and millions of civilians flee. Russian army units are redeployed from Ukraine and declare for either side, leading to heavy fighting across south-western Russia. Ukraine liberates its territory, and the war with Russia comes to an end. The bombardment of Ukrainian cities is brought to an end, and Ukrainian civilians are freed from Russian occupation. Ukraine can begin the massive task of reconstruction, mine-clearing and grieving. Many Ukrainian soldiers are able to return to their families. Boris Johnson visits Ukraine and takes selfies with Zelenskyy in Mariupol.

Surely scenario 2 is preferable to scenario 1?
    Hmm, very probably. But you've left it hanging a bit. Where's that Russian civil war going? If you promise me it doesn't trigger more horrors than those we're saving in Ukraine you might have a deal. Can you?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,153
    If Putin has really left Moscow by plane already, with the convoy maybe half a day away, doesn't that mean he's afraid that the troops in Moscow will go over to the other side even before Wagner gets there?

It's hardly as though Wagner has an air force to intercept him if he tries to go any later.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,756
    Farooq said:

RobD said:

Aw, in the interest of ongoing events, couldn’t we have kept him a little longer?

No, even piss-poor Putin-bots needed at the front right now!

Wherever that is?
    In Russia, the front line gets sent to you
    NYT reporting that "military forces were seen moving north from Voronezh".

NORTH on road to Moscow, from town closer to Moscow than it is to Rostov-on-Don.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,098
    kle4 said:

Parody, but if they thought they could manage it without too much blowback...

Xi Jinping says China is closely monitoring situation in Russia, notes Vladivostok is historical Chinese territory
    https://twitter.com/Sputnik_Not/status/1672583519132942339?cxt=HHwWhoC8sar2mrYuAAAA

Territorial acquisitiveness does seem to be making a comeback.

It won’t be territorial acquisitiveness. It will be a peacekeeping force in a buffer zone, there to protect the Russian people.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,662
    Sandpit said:

I wonder what side the Chechnyans will take?

Kadyrov has pledged his support for Putin.

Whether that pledge is worth anything…
    His pledge of support, is to whatever serves him best at that moment.

If, in a few hours’ time, he’s personally better off pledging support to someone else…
    For in my faith and fealty
    I never more will falter
    And Vlad my lawful Prez shall be
    Until the times are Wagner.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

A country as vast and well-armed as that does not spiral into chaos without it affecting large areas of the rest of the world, for diverse, military, migratory , and economic reasons. It wouldn't be something we could just cheerfully watch from our armchairs.

Hopefully there will be a full blown civil war and the country will be less vast and less well armed by the end of it.

Which includes plenty of every day Russians who are repressed and sent to the meat grinder in order to support Moscow's regime.

The collapse of Russia as a unitary state would be great news for the world, and great news for ordinary Russians.

But a 'full blown civil war in Russia' - your words - really isn't something to hope for. It'd be terrible in and of itself plus nobody can model where it leads with any confidence at all.
    You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

If the choice is Russians fighting Ukrainians, or Russians fighting Russians, then I unabashedly support the latter.

Don't you?
    It depends on what 'Russians fighting Russians' entails. The scale and nature of it. Where it leads. Of course it depends! Being pro Ukraine doesn't mean absolutely nothing else matters. Why should it?

I'm sorry but I stick to my assessment of the sort of stuff you're coming out with, eg this latest 'omelettes and eggs' remark when it comes to wars, civil or otherwise. It's heartless, it's blase, it's juvenile.
    No, it doesn't depend.

Russia is the aggressor here. There is no "both sides" about this, no equivocation.

Russians fighting Russians is unequivocally and entirely better than Russians killing Ukrainians.

Your lack of morals and humanity here is deeply troubling.
    Oh, do give over

@kinabalu is merely expressing understandable concern at the possible negative consequences of all out civil war: in a nuclear armed state with a history of brutal violence within and without

It must be weird living in your black and white world
    Oh go BRACE yourself.

Conflicts happen in nuclear armed states, see Pakistan.

Whether there's negative consequences or not, them fighting each other is unequivocally better than them fighting Ukrainians.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,710
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

A full-blown civil war would be the second-best option possible, behind a rapid victory for one side or the other who immediately decides to withdraw Russian forces from Ukraine as a result.

Given that Putin launched this war, and Prigozhin willingly smashed Bakhmut to pieces over several months, I don't have much hope for the ideal scenario. A full-blown civil war is a more likely path to Russian troops leaving Ukraine, as they are pulled back to fight on one side or the other. And then Ukraine will know peace, and can start the long process of reconstruction and dealing with the grief of its losses.

So, yeah, I'm pretty down with hoping for a Russian civil war actually. If Putin does do a runner and Prigozhin takes over without a fight, and simply continues the war in Ukraine for more months of violence and destruction, I don't see that as a preferable outcome.
    The potential carnage from that scenario is massive and we have no clue where it would lead. If a bloody disintegration of Russia were to happen, with various 'big man' psychopaths trading atrocities, I'd be hoping the resulting horrors are limited to Russia, that whatever sort of Russia emerges from it is better than this one, and of course that it leads to the liberation of Ukraine, but there's no way on earth I'm hoping it happens in the first place.

In scenario 1, Prigozhin's rebellion is rapidly defeated, or rapidly victorious, and the Russian army remains fighting in Ukraine. Ukrainian cities continue to face bombardment from Russian missiles and artillery shells. The war continues. The Ukrainian counterattack makes progress, but inevitably there are many casualties, both Ukrainian and Russian.

In scenario 2, Prigozhin's rebellion makes some progress, but Putin fights on. There is fighting in and around Moscow and millions of civilians flee. Russian army units are redeployed from Ukraine and declare for either side, leading to heavy fighting across south-western Russia. Ukraine liberates its territory, and the war with Russia comes to an end. The bombardment of Ukrainian cities is brought to an end, and Ukrainian civilians are freed from Russian occupation. Ukraine can begin the massive task of reconstruction, mine-clearing and grieving. Many Ukrainian soldiers are able to return to their families. Boris Johnson visits Ukraine and takes selfies with Zelenskyy in Mariupol.

Hmm, very probably. But you've left it hanging a bit. Where's that Russian civil war going? If you promise me it doesn't trigger more horrors than those we're saving in Ukraine you might have a deal. Can you?
    You can't promise that a continuation of the Russian war in Ukraine won't result in further horrors, like the destruction of the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant. So, yes, there are terrible uncertainties in both future scenarios.

So concentrate on what we know. A civil war in Russia will end the war in Ukraine. That's a good trade in my view.
  • Options
    Chris said:

If Putin has really left Moscow by plane already, with the convoy maybe half a day away, doesn't that mean he's afraid that the troops in Moscow will go over to the other side even before Wagner gets there?

It's hardly as though Wagner has an air force to intercept him if he tries to go any later.

Wagner has anti-aircraft missile systems that they've used to take down several Russian aircraft already. You don't need an airforce to make flying very dangerous.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    Chris said:

I know it is not his style, but I feel like Putin being doing a Zelensky right now, getting his face out there. I know it is day 1, but it's 24 hour news thesedays, it seems weird to drop off the radar after the morning announcement.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,176

Farooq said:

RobD said:

Aw, in the interest of ongoing events, couldn’t we have kept him a little longer?

Wherever that is?

NORTH on road to Moscow, from town closer to Moscow than it is to Rostov-on-Don.
    They’re North of Yelets now, only a couple of hours from the outskirts of Moscow.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,543
    He’s here! But how long?
    DougSeal said:

I’m at Royal Ascot. The dress code for seals was a bit vague but I’ve done my best.

No fur, I hope.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Farooq said:

RobD said:

Wherever that is?

They’re North of Yelets now, only a couple of hours from the outskirts of Moscow.
    Is this even going to take 72 hours?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,539

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

If the choice is Russians fighting Ukrainians, or Russians fighting Russians, then I unabashedly support the latter.

Don't you?
    It depends on what 'Russians fighting Russians' entails. The scale and nature of it. Where it leads. Of course it depends! Being pro Ukraine doesn't mean absolutely nothing else matters. Why should it?

I'm sorry but I stick to my assessment of the sort of stuff you're coming out with, eg this latest 'omelettes and eggs' remark when it comes to wars, civil or otherwise. It's heartless, it's blase, it's juvenile.
    No, it doesn't depend.

Russia is the aggressor here. There is no "both sides" about this, no equivocation.

Russians fighting Russians is unequivocally and entirely better than Russians killing Ukrainians.

Heartless, blase, juvenile ... and a posturer.

Keep them coming. We can keep adding. There's scope yet, I think.
  • Options
    Doomscrolling war news sounds better.
    Russian state rolling news channel Rossiya 24 isn't ignoring events entirely, but the fact they're currently airing a documentary about Silvio Berlusconi tells you quite a lot
    https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1672587240634036225?cxt=HHwWgsC93fnOnLYuAAAA
  • Options

Farooq said:

RobD said:

Wherever that is?

Reported by Russian milibloggers that they'd made it to Yelets - halfway through the next Oblast to the north - a while ago. They will reach Moscow before dark if they want to. Then we'll see what happens.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,194
    edited June 2023

He’s here! But how long?

DougSeal said:

I’m at Royal Ascot. The dress code for seals was a bit vague but I’ve done my best.

No fur, I hope.
    Hoods, perhaps? But a grey morning suit is a good start.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,978
    Nigelb said:

darkage said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Google maps is telling me about 7.5 hours from Voronezh to Moscow.
    Fastest route avoids road closure in E115.

If Putin commands the air (looks like he does) then the convoys will be obliterated before they get anywhere near Moscow. Wagner surely have a plan for this. Insurrection at air bases? Aircraft of their own?
    Who knows ?
    It’s basically a battle of confidence at this point. If enough of the regular army stays loyal and fights, it’s over; if they don’t, it’s over for Putin.

Wagner’s social media game is definitely superior. It’s not impossible for it to be the first military coup where that’s decisive.
    As I recall from previous discussions bombing these convoys from the air is not possible because the precision isn't good enough. That is why the traffic jam in to Kiev last year wasn't just bombed from the air.
    Seems unlikely.
    If you have enough kit, carpeting a road isn’t hard.
    The original Highways of Death were in Normandy in 1944.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,824
    edited June 2023
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Don't you?

No, it doesn't depend.

Heartless, blase, juvenile ... and a posturer.

Keep them coming. We can keep adding. There's scope yet, I think.
    You're the heartless one, why are you content to see the war in Ukraine continue?

What is the downside to the war in Ukraine being over, replaced instead with a civil war in Russia?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

You can't promise that a continuation of the Russian war in Ukraine won't result in further horrors, like the destruction of the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant. So, yes, there are terrible uncertainties in both future scenarios.

So concentrate on what we know. A civil war in Russia will end the war in Ukraine. That's a good trade in my view.
    Will it? Civil wars are quite capable of spilling over into neighbouring countries. Even if those neighbouring countries are not already occupied.

I think if I were the Ukrainians I would not be celebrating just yet. It gives them an opportunity, but not a certainty.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,057
    Trying to find British political parallels, and the closest I can get is Cummings turning on Boris. Similar dynamic (though fewer weapons).
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,653
  • Options

He’s here! But how long?

DougSeal said:

No fur, I hope.
    If you can wear it, they were lion about their rules.
  • Options
    See, I knew this was not a long term plan, it was very reactive

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    Chris said:

For every police, security, military, or paramilitary entity in Russia that Putin might call upon for help he now has to think "will they defend me or detain me?" He's really in very deep trouble.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2023_Spanish_general_election

3 new Spanish polls. One shows a narrowing PP lead, the other 2 fairly stable. Too early to see if we have a new direction.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    TimS said:

Trying to find British political parallels, and the closest I can get is Cummings turning on Boris. Similar dynamic (though fewer weapons).

The tank charge from Barnard Castle was a sight to behold.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    TimS said:

Warwick rounding on Edward IV.

Pride's Purge in 1648.

Less violent, but Macmillan rounding on Eden in 1956 over Suez.
  • Options
    As tragic as a Russian Civil War would be for ordinary Russians and how sketchy it could be for the rest of us, I think Russians killing Russians is better than Russians killing Ukrainians. Russia only gets run by whoever has the most guns, so it's not going to end up with them becoming a shining beacon of democracy.
    We'd better buckle up, because if it does go south rapidly, it's going to be a hell of a ride!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,439
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Just so.
    The last Russian civil war lasted 6 years, caused c.1.5m deaths and the US and UK backed the losing side.
  • Options
    glw said:

Chris said:

For every police, security, military, or paramilitary entity in Russia that Putin might call upon for help he now has to think "will they defend me or detain me?" He's really in very deep trouble.
    Classic strongman dilemma. Anyone you have to rely upon therefore has power over you, so you cannot fully trust them since if they have that power they could use it to harm you too.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,411
    edited June 2023

TimS said:

The tank charge from Barnard Castle was a sight to behold.
    It was initially delayed as he popped out in a Challenger Tank to test his eyesight first....
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,227
    felix said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2023_Spanish_general_election

3 new Spanish polls. One shows a narrowing PP lead, the other 2 fairly stable. Too early to see if we have a new direction.

When do we start getting polling on raspberries and bananas?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

felix said:

When do we start getting polling on raspberries and bananas?
    When somebody has creamed off the rest of the polling.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,016
    How we’ve sunk as a nation. 60 years ago, there’s be a group of men in Whitehall, laughing in British, as they orchestrated the coup.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Just so.
    The last Russian civil war lasted 6 years, caused c.1.5m deaths and the US and UK backed the losing side.
    It caused many more deaths than that if you include the famine.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Will it? Civil wars are quite capable of spilling over into neighbouring countries. Even if those neighbouring countries are not already occupied.

I think if I were the Ukrainians I would not be celebrating just yet. It gives them an opportunity, but not a certainty.
    Ukrainian state forces would naturally exercise more caution than excitable commentators on the internet, I don't think that speaks ill of the latter.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,756
    ydoethur said:

TimS said:

Pride's Purge in 1648.

Joseph Chamberlain breaking with Gladstone and Liberals in 1886 over Home Rule for Ireland, and aligning with Conservatives?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,747
    kle4 said:

If the tide is about to go out on the Putin state, do we get to see his list of useful idiots?
  • Options
    edited June 2023

ydoethur said:

TimS said:

Pride's Purge in 1648.

Joseph Chamberlain breaking with Gladstone and Liberals in 1886 over Home Rule for Ireland, and aligning with Conservatives?
    Or indeed breaking with Devonshire and Balfour over Free Trade in 1903?

On that subject, maybe Bentinck and Stanley over the Corn Laws?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,839
    Sean_F said:

How we’ve sunk as a nation. 60 years ago, there’s be a group of men in Whitehall, laughing in British, as they orchestrated the coup.

You misspelled "grown". We're better when we don't fuck other people's countries up.
  • Options
    Wagner sources are suggesting this all started when Russian troops fired on Wagner troops in Ukraine a couple of days ago. Could be the usual bollocks to justify actions, or there might be something to it.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,983
    Sean_F said:

Well, it could have been the SAS firing on Wagner from the rear...

I expect some troll has already suggested it.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,053
    Ricimer and Majorian spring to mind. Or John Tzimisces and Nicephorus II Phocas.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,078
    Farooq said:

Sean_F said:

You misspelled "grown". We're better when we don't fuck other people's countries up.
    We've been busy on our own tbf last few years.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I think that the particular dynamics of the current situation, with relatively so little of Russia's armed forces in Russia, mean that if the rebellion is not settled one way or the other within a week there will be massive withdrawals of Russian forces from Ukraine. Moscow is much more important to both sides in a future Russian civil war than Donetsk.

And for Ukraine they will know that if they can regain their international borders, and keep their noses out of the Russian civil war, that they could be members of NATO fairly rapidly, and have the security of a few thousand NATO troops ready to defend their territory from any future Russian aggression.

I don't see the dynamics that would involve Ukraine in a protracted Russian civil war.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Wagner sources are suggesting this all started when Russian troops fired on Wagner troops in Ukraine a couple of days ago. Could be the usual bollocks to justify actions, or there might be something to it.

It's bollocks. They've been firing at each other for months.

This is a power struggle between Prigozhin and the Russian State and I think he has been preparing for a while. Bakhmut suddenly makes more sense if he was using it to rile his men against the regime.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,078
    Sandpit said:

This has been months in the planning.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,759
    ydoethur said:

Theshard said:

ydoethur said:

Theshard said:

Leon said:

They seem very certain

BREAKING:

Putin’s plane has left Moscow for St. Petersburg.

Looks like he is fleeing from the advancing Wagner Group military column

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1672572459076206592?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

Dont get too excited men. Go to your local crack open a beer and ogle the beautiful women. If you get lonely i know someone good who charges 300 an hour.
    That's what she tells you.

For everyone else it's £50.
    Russian prostitutes are known as the best throughout the world.
    No, no, don't be silly. Turkmenistan's are far better.

Borat told us so.
    Vladimir Putin described Russian sex workers as the best in the world during the fuss over the Steele dossier's claims about Donald Trump and Obama's bed.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,959

Sandpit said:

Farooq said:

RobD said:

Wherever that is?

Is this even going to take 72 hours?
    The Russian military has apparently blocked the major roads further north with ranks of dump trucks. Whether those will hold, or whether there are any side routes Wagner could take I have no idea though.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,460
    edited June 2023

He’s here! But how long?

DougSeal said:

No fur, I hope.
    I’ve been here 4 years! No fur, thankfully
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,275
    Sean_F said:

And 67 years ago we had the debacle of Suez.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,162
    I wonder if someone is sitting nervously in say, Florida, wondering if Vlad has also kept lots of potentially “awkward” classified docs in his Dacha that have info about a random foreign politician that the Wagner guys will discover.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,194
    Farooq said:

Sean_F said:

It would be a remarkable group discussing a coup in ancient Welsh.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,327
    dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, the coup de Blyat looks very well planned, not thrown together at the last minute. To be fair Ukrainian sources were forecasting such a move three months ago.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,884
    edited June 2023
    Sean_F said:

With our deep involvement in the Ukrainian war, I'd be surprised if there isn't UK intel and special ops involvement on this front, as well

The Kremlin's paranoia about "British spies" might well be justified
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,227
    Sandpit said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufFOghMt1yI
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,983
    edited June 2023
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

It's bollocks. They've been firing at each other for months.

This is a power struggle between Prigozhin and the Russian State and I think he has been preparing for a while. Bakhmut suddenly makes more sense if he was using it to rile his men against the regime.
    Especially if he was using it as an means to stockpile ammunition rather than firing it at the Ukrainians.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Sean_F said:

They've played a long game, the ancient welsh. 1500 years or so but they are just about ready to strike back at the anglo-saxon invaders.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,327

kle4 said:

If the tide is about to go out on the Putin state, do we get to see his list of useful idiots?
    We do, and several Americans and quite a few in London and in Scotland will be quite unhappy about this.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,057
    Cicero said:

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, the coup de Blyat looks very well planned, not thrown together at the last minute. To be fair Ukrainian sources were forecasting such a move three months ago.
    “Waggy coos”, per some on Twitter.
  • Options
    Russians are blockading roads M-4 and M-2, where they cross the Oka river South of Moscow, presumably in an attempt to stop the convoy at a pinch point.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Sean_F said:

They've played a long game, the ancient welsh. 1500 years or so but they are just about ready to strike back at the anglo-saxon invaders.
    1500 years is an Avalon time
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,249
    TimS said:

There's something ineffably British about a thunder run involving a short bald man with poor eyesight and a creased t-shirt in a second-hand BMW driving to Barnard Castle. :)
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

He’s here! But how long?

DougSeal said:

No fur, I hope.
    I’ve been here 4 years! No fur, thankfully
    Sorry, that was vanilla repeating a previous post!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

I’m inclined to agree.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    [deleted. Silly]
  • Options
    Going to be a long week.

Unclear how much this is going to affect the frontline yet, Prigozhin has said he is going to let MOD staff continue to work in Rostov, implying supplies will continue unabated. Any disruption at all, should know it in about three to seven days.
    https://twitter.com/HN_Schlottman/status/1672580205142065153?cxt=HHwWgoC-nbe1mbYuAAAA
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,359
    Too hot to garden.

"The whole of April and May, Prigozhin lied about the alleged ‘projectile famine,’ the 1st and 7th Assault Squads have a huge stockpile of MANPADS and captured Javelins. A source from Prigozhin's security service said that preparations for this scenario took more than 2 months"
    https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1672541087020339200
  • Options
    Cicero said:

kle4 said:

We do, and several Americans and quite a few in London and in Scotland will be quite unhappy about this.
    The Republican National Committee will demand that presidential candidates pledge to support the eventual winner of the Russian civil war.
    https://twitter.com/DougJBalloon/status/1672597709662875648
  • Options
    Leon said:

Sean_F said:

With our deep involvement in the Ukrainian war, I'd be surprised if there isn't UK intel and special ops involvement on this front, as well

In The_Chieftain's latest missive. he pointed out that on any given day there will be about 10,000 drones in theatre in Ukraine. It's bigger than the UK. Five blokes from the Hereford boathouse will not make any difference.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,460
    viewcode said:

TimS said:

There's something ineffably British about a thunder run involving a short bald man with poor eyesight and a creased t-shirt in a second-hand BMW driving to Barnard Castle. :)
    Was it really second hand?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,324
    Guys:

Imetatronik thinks the coup is going nowhere.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Just so.
    Since when is 1917 to 1921 six years???
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Too hot to garden.

"The whole of April and May, Prigozhin lied about the alleged ‘projectile famine,’ the 1st and 7th Assault Squads have a huge stockpile of MANPADS and captured Javelins. A source from Prigozhin's security service said that preparations for this scenario took more than 2 months"

Well if you can't trust mercenary warlords...
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    DougSeal said:

viewcode said:

TimS said:

Good question. I threw it in to make the sentence scan. He's born to wealth and doesn't feel the need to impress, so I figured he'd buy second-hand. Happy to be corrected if wrong.

[edit. And it should have been "creasy" t-shirt, since the "-ed" trips the flow a bit]
  • Options
    It’s really nice of them to put this on during a non Ashes weekend to keep us entertained.
  • Options
    Chechen leader Kadyrov's Akhmat troops have reached the Aksai, 15 minutes from Rostov. Kadyrov had made statements in favor of Putin after Prizgohin's rebellion.
    https://twitter.com/leventkemaI/status/1672595767775707138
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Too hot to garden.

Just when today couldn’t get any funnier - if it turns out that the Wagner Group have been hoarding Russian weapons, to use against the Russian Army…
  • Options
    boulay said:

It’s really nice of them to put this on during a non Ashes weekend to keep us entertained.

Great weekend to do it. No cricket and no F1. Next weekend is going to be so much busier.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

DougSeal said:

viewcode said:

TimS said:

Good question. I threw it in to make the sentence scan. He's born to wealth and doesn't feel the need to impress, so I figured he'd buy second-hand. Happy to be corrected if wrong.
    Didn't Cummings have a Land Rover Discovery aka Disco?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,884
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

In The_Chieftain's latest missive. he pointed out that on any given day there will be about 10,000 drones in theatre in Ukraine. It's bigger than the UK. Five blokes from the Hereford boathouse will not make any difference.
    No - I don’t mean fighting. I mean this alleged secret liaison between Ukraine and Wagner. I’d be surprised if Five eyes - especially US/UK has no “insight” there

The entire war has been replete with duplicity and psyops. Cf Nordstream
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,978
    rcs1000 said:

Guys:

Imetatronik thinks the coup is going nowhere.

They seem to being nowhere… fast?

https://youtu.be/251zlGliwOQ
  • Options
    boulay said:

Ahem, an England batter may pass 200 before tea in an Ashes test today.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,363
    Cicero said:

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

Perhaps taking Bakhmut to give him credibility was coordinated with Ukraine, when all along he was plotting to move against Putin and end the war.
  • Options

viewcode said:

DougSeal said:

viewcode said:

TimS said:

Didn't Cummings have a Land Rover Discovery aka Disco?
    Well, I said I'd be happy to be corrected, so there's that... :)
  • Options
    Another eyewitness video of a Wagner convoy reportedly breaking through then "truck obstacles" on the way to Moscow - the types of obstacles I posted above that are supposed to protect Moscow highways.
    https://twitter.com/sambendett/status/1672600151909707778
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

boulay said:

Great weekend to do it. No cricket and no F1. Next weekend is going to be so much busier.
    Well China has announced its holding off the invasion of Taiwan until after the Ashes as they can’t compete against the draw of Bazball.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    Leon said:

Sean_F said:

When Putin is hooded and stood on the gallows, just before they open the trapdoor I hope someone leans over and whipsers in his ear "Greetings from Salisbury."
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited June 2023
    How far South of Moscow is that crossing of the Oka river of the M2/M4 motorway, that was mentioned for fortifications ?

It doesn't seem as if Moscow's writ extends very far.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,411
    Nigelb said:

Another eyewitness video of a Wagner convoy reportedly breaking through then "truck obstacles" on the way to Moscow - the types of obstacles I posted above that are supposed to protect Moscow highways.

GTA6 graphics are very realistic....
  • Options
    Darth Putin
    @DarthPutinKGB
    Wagner took 9 months to capture Bakhmut and 3 hours to capture Rostov.

https://twitter.com/DarthPutinKGB/status/1672514271438053376
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

By the way, big shout out to everyone on the this board. We've been hours ahead of the mainstream media.

To be fair we did have our very own man on the ground giving us all the facts, thanks to Theshard for keeping us informed.
  • Options
    glw said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

When Putin is hooded and stood on the gallows, just before they open the trapdoor I hope someone leans over and whipsers in his ear "Greetings from Salisbury."
    and Mayfair
    and Kyiv
    and Georgia
    and Luhansk
    [clunk gasp crack]
    and Donetsk
    and Washington
    and Crimea
    and
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Well, if they think a couple of trucks before a bridge - rather than a couple of dozen trucks on the bridge - are going to stop an enemy convoy…
  • Options
    Farooq said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

and Mayfair
    and Kyiv
    and Georgia
    and Luhansk
    [clunk gasp crack]
    and Donetsk
    and Washington
    and Crimea
    and
    Transnistria!
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited June 2023
    The Chechens seem to advancing towards Rostov.

No one else seems to be fighting the Wagner soldiers on the ground.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

GTA6 graphics are very realistic....
    Grand Theft Autocracy could be a game I would play
This discussion has been closed.