Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Another demonstration of Tory ruthlessness – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,898

If I was Mordaunt I would be furious too. Going by the appointments, it's almost as if both Truss and then Sunak have tried to deliberately humiliate her, for being the most genuine threat to them in the contests.

Looks that way. Pretty ugly behaviour.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,578
    edited October 2022
    Roger said:

Alistair said:

I hear Big Tofu is not happy about this and is pledging that there will be consequences.

Who's Big Tofu?
    The person or persons Ms Braverman blamed for her, in the event, temporary ejectment, IIRC.

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1582755283255762946/photo/1
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Roger said:

As Northern Al says we've got continuity Johnson/Truss. In fact worse. Al lest Truss had the bottle to sack her for her breach of the ministerial code.

I must admit I'd thought he'd be better than that

Total partisan rubbish. It is not continuity Johnson and Truss; that is as absurd as suggesting SKS was continuity Corbyn. It could be argued that overlooking Mordaunt was foolish, but who knows what has gone on in the background. All looks very promising to me. I wish the new PM good luck. He will need it.

The. Clown. is. Gone. Just rejoice!
    We can’t rejoice until the corrupt sleazy filthy Tories are gone!

I think you get the partisan post of the year award there. I'll let you into a little secret that might make your brain cell explode. There are good people and bad people in all the main political parties. I know that is quite difficult for the terminally stupid to understand, but it is a fact.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Roger said:

As Northern Al says we've got continuity Johnson/Truss. In fact worse. Al lest Truss had the bottle to sack her for her breach of the ministerial code.

Total partisan rubbish. It is not continuity Johnson and Truss; that is as absurd as suggesting SKS was continuity Corbyn. It could be argued that overlooking Mordaunt was foolish, but who knows what has gone on in the background. All looks very promising to me. I wish the new PM good luck. He will need it.

Braverman is still there. 😱
    Yea, in the same way that Angela Rayner is still on the Labour front bench.
  • Options
    Pendolino should have quit
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570
    The fact they’ve got so many retreads in does suggest they think the main problem for the last three years was Johnson which - firstly - must be hilariously crushing for the world emperor’s ego and secondly strikes me as somewhat optimistic.

https://twitter.com/twlldun/status/1584938395452977153
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,095

She is Virgin on being used.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Hold on a sec.

When we weren't sure if Suella B had resigned or been sacked, there was lots of chatter about how the issue was about legal immigration. Basically, we could no longer afford a "fewer foreigners" strategy because we really needed people to take our jobs.

How does that circle get squared?

Extend the Australia/NZ working holiday scheme to the EU on reciprocal basis. It's not a difficult question to answer, Rishi just needs the balls to push it through.
    Hang on so now we want virtually unlimited immigration from the EU instead of South Asia.

You leavers can't get your story right - last time (ie with Brexit) you were all delighted that we would have fewer EU immigrants and more from eg South Asia.

Make your bleedin' minds up.
    Again, this is the make-up-your-mind fallacy. There will be diverse opinons within a group, many of which are consisyent over time. This does not equate to a single un-made-up mimd.
    Absolutely. Some of us have been wanting free movement with the EU and more immigration from the rest of the world. But that doesn't seem to fit with Topping's preconceived ideas about Leavers so he would rather pretend we don't exist or that we have had some sort of Damascene conversion.
    Bollocks Richard. Max (a leaver) just said he didn't want millions of Indians coming over here and his solution was to give those very same visas to the EU.

What's your solution?
    Max is one person. He does not speak for the whole of the Leave movement any more than I do - or any more than you speak for all Remainers. You don't get to pigeon hole people just to fit your own pre-conceived bias. So I am afraid it is you who are talking bollocks.

Are you a fan of the visas for India?
    I am a fan of both freedom of movement with the EU and more visas for India (and lots of other places). It has been my position - argued against all comers on here, both Leave and Remain supporters - since long before the EU referendum. I think immigration is good for this country and something to be encouraged. Always have done and, I hope, always will.

I think strong control of borders is good in so far as we need to filter those who intend to do us harm or commit criminal acts (one reason I don't like Schengen) but beyond that I would like to see a default position that people are encouraged to come and work and study here rather than pushed away.
    So what you were really after was making it impossible for the British to live and work in 27 other countries. Though you were happy for them to come here. That sounds logical

(It sounds like one of those lunatic asylum jokes)
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Penny is no doubt thinking how on earth Braverman can get a big role ahead of her. Politics is of course the answer. Still think likely someone will screw up in the future and a role will open up.
  • Options

The fact they’ve got so many retreads retards in does suggest they think the main problem for the last three years was Johnson which - firstly - must be hilariously crushing for the world emperor’s ego and secondly strikes me as somewhat optimistic.

https://twitter.com/twlldun/status/1584938395452977153

FTFY.

It's true, and it's alarming.
  • Options

We were saying earlier only illiberal arseholes are allowed to be HS

Maybe. Tony Blair was Shadow Illiberal Arsehole for a while IIRC.
  • Options
    mickydroymickydroy Posts: 234
    Any good will I may off had for Sunak, has gone now, he has kept Braverman in post, truly vile woman
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,376
    ydoethur said:

Wither Jacob Rees Mogg? Grant Shapps having just got JRM's "old" job.

And wither Theresa Coffey? Whose "old" departmental position still unfilled.

Am using "wither" above in more than one sense. May they BOTH wither!

Mogg is out altogether, going to the backbenches.
    He gave Shapps a job?

Soddit.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited October 2022

murali_s said:

Roger said:

I think you get the partisan post of the year award there. I'll let you into a little secret that might make your brain cell explode. There are good people and bad people in all the main political parties. I know that is quite difficult for the terminally stupid to understand, but it is a fact.
    The tories have fucked up this country over the last 12 years in case you haven’t noticed. For that alone, they need to be and they will be turfed out.

12 years of Tory misrule!
  • Options
    mickydroy said:

Any good will I may off had for Sunak, has gone now, he has kept Braverman in post, truly vile woman

He hasn't even done that. Keeping her in post would have been fine. It's recalling her to the Cabinet as Home Secretary of all things that is the issue.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    ydoethur said:

All a result of her tilt at the top job.
  • Options
    MattW said:

ydoethur said:

Wither Jacob Rees Mogg? Grant Shapps having just got JRM's "old" job.

And wither Theresa Coffey? Whose "old" departmental position still unfilled.

Am using "wither" above in more than one sense. May they BOTH wither!

Mogg is out altogether, going to the backbenches.
    He gave Shapps a job?

Soddit.
    He's given Shapps Business.

Given his integrity is as smelly as a dog's business, I suppose there is a certain logic to that.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

murali_s said:

Roger said:

The tories have fucked up this country over the last 12 years in case you haven’t noticed. For that alone, they need to be and they will be turfed out.

The depth of your political and economic analysis is overwhelming. I am sure at some point you will be nominated for a Nobel Prize.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

Jonathan said:

Roger said:

Are you comparing Rayner and Braverman? Seriously?
  • Options
    Ms Coffey in DEFRA.
  • Options

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

Roger said:

The depth of your political and economic analysis is overwhelming. I am sure at some point you will be nominated for a Nobel Prize.
    I think we should nominate Dominic Cummings for one.

Well, a No Bell Prize, anyway.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    Coffee Minister for Food.

Quite.
  • Options
    mickydroy said:

While I share your distaste for Ms Braverman, I suspect the good will you mention might have been a tad exaggerated.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

ydoethur said:

Hit the buffers, or diverted into a passing loop by the points - hard to say which yet.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

The Tory fresh start was Mordaunt. This is continuity.

With respect one unwise appointment in Braverman does not make this continuity from Truss and Johnson

I agree with Sky that he wants to hit the ground running, and in his confirmation of Hunt as COE you will see next Monday a complete rejection of all things Truss
    Only one unwise appointment?
    To be honest I am content with most of the appointments so far
    Braverman has your full support. Do you share her dreams?
    You clearly have not read my comments and please do not put words into my mouth

Braverman is the wrong appointment but the wider picture is Johnson and Truss have gone and in Sunak and Hunt we have the best chance to reassure the markets
  • Options
    Does this mean Govey gets the medicine cabinet?
  • Options
    mickydroymickydroy Posts: 234

mickydroy said:

While I share your distaste for Ms Braverman, I suspect the good will you mention might have been a tad exaggerated.
    Fair point
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,901
    No Kemi?
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Jonathan said:

Roger said:

Are you comparing Rayner and Braverman? Seriously?
    In comparative ghastliness yes. Politically I think even you might notice they are somewhat different.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    If the GE is in 2024, surely we need to look at this Cabinet as the transitional phase before a reshuffle next year to put team in place for the GE.

So it's one step at a time.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,168
    Roger said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Hold on a sec.

When we weren't sure if Suella B had resigned or been sacked, there was lots of chatter about how the issue was about legal immigration. Basically, we could no longer afford a "fewer foreigners" strategy because we really needed people to take our jobs.

Extend the Australia/NZ working holiday scheme to the EU on reciprocal basis. It's not a difficult question to answer, Rishi just needs the balls to push it through.
    Hang on so now we want virtually unlimited immigration from the EU instead of South Asia.

You leavers can't get your story right - last time (ie with Brexit) you were all delighted that we would have fewer EU immigrants and more from eg South Asia.

Again, this is the make-up-your-mind fallacy. There will be diverse opinons within a group, many of which are consisyent over time. This does not equate to a single un-made-up mimd.
    Absolutely. Some of us have been wanting free movement with the EU and more immigration from the rest of the world. But that doesn't seem to fit with Topping's preconceived ideas about Leavers so he would rather pretend we don't exist or that we have had some sort of Damascene conversion.
    Bollocks Richard. Max (a leaver) just said he didn't want millions of Indians coming over here and his solution was to give those very same visas to the EU.

What's your solution?
    Max is one person. He does not speak for the whole of the Leave movement any more than I do - or any more than you speak for all Remainers. You don't get to pigeon hole people just to fit your own pre-conceived bias. So I am afraid it is you who are talking bollocks.

I am a fan of both freedom of movement with the EU and more visas for India (and lots of other places). It has been my position - argued against all comers on here, both Leave and Remain supporters - since long before the EU referendum. I think immigration is good for this country and something to be encouraged. Always have done and, I hope, always will.

I think strong control of borders is good in so far as we need to filter those who intend to do us harm or commit criminal acts (one reason I don't like Schengen) but beyond that I would like to see a default position that people are encouraged to come and work and study here rather than pushed away.
    So what you were really after was making it impossible for the British to live and work in 27 other countries. Though you were happy for them to come here. That sounds logical

If I remember correctly, Richard was an EEA or switzerland-style brexit advocate. That would have retained freedom of movement in both directions.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Hit the buffers, or diverted into a passing loop by the points - hard to say which yet.
    This more resembles the Harrow Train Crash - two SPADs careering headlong into an obstacle that was eminently foreseeable and causing carnage.
  • Options
    Coffey gets the DEFRA role she should have been given in 2019, when she was ridiculously overpromoted by Boris.

Bit of a theme really. Braverman the exception.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

RH1992 said:

Penny staying as Leader of the HoC, seems like a punishment!

https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1584942892489244674

Ouch.
    It was a bit of a snub when Truss put her there. I do hope that young Master Sunak keeps his petulance in check a bit better than this.
    Otoh, although Truss & Sunak no doubt intended it as a slight, Leader of the House got Penny Mordaunt a starring role in the Queen to King handover, and sees her on Commons telly every week, which is more than most Secretaries of State.
    To be fair it has been a Cabinet post under both Truss and Sunak so at least she gets the salary.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,895

Quite.

Can spend more time with the piglets
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,880
    edited October 2022

Quite.

She was at DEFRA before, I think?
  • Options

Quite.

I assume Coffey is Minister for Coffee, I assume that’s under her remit?
  • Options
    Braverman back to home is the clear dividing line for the next GE.
  • Options
    Health - Barclay
  • Options
    Steve Barclay to Health.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    edited October 2022

If I was Mordaunt I would be furious too. Going by the appointments, it's almost as if both Truss and then Sunak have tried to deliberately humiliate her, for being the most genuine threat to them in the contests.

She can always fall back on the comfort that she has better hair than him.....

No side parting for our Penny!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2022
    Sky news still screaming inane questions at everybody who comes out of #10.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    My interpretation is that a medieval home office is there to provide right wing political cover for tax rises.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,089
    The Labour Party must be breathing such huge sighs of relief.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,719
    Breaches of the ministerial code by Braverman. One for sending the documents to her email which she could then pass on to others and then she lied about when she sent them to the whips.

Sunaks integrity and accountability talk is garbage .
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

With respect one unwise appointment in Braverman does not make this continuity from Truss and Johnson

I agree with Sky that he wants to hit the ground running, and in his confirmation of Hunt as COE you will see next Monday a complete rejection of all things Truss

Braverman is the wrong appointment but the wider picture is Johnson and Truss have gone and in Sunak and Hunt we have the best chance to reassure the markets
    The name of this thread has aged very badly.

If Sunny was ruthless, he’d have double dealt Cruella, given her Minister for Fluffy Animals or some such.

• Options

Steve Barclay to Health.

This gets madder and madder.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

If the GE is in 2024, surely we need to look at this Cabinet as the transitional phase before a reshuffle next year to put team in place for the GE.

Yeah its stabilise party unity, recover in the polls then unleash the GE team and plan.
    Reshuffle just before conference
  • Options
    StarryStarry Posts: 105

Quite.

Voted to sell off the forests and against climate change measures, yet now in charge of environmental matters https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/24771/therese_coffey/suffolk_coastal/votes
    I was hoping for Gove. Did a good job there before but left without having to progress it.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,928
    carnforth said:

Roger said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Hold on a sec.

What's your solution?

If I remember correctly, Richard was an EEA or switzerland-style brexit advocate. That would have retained freedom of movement in both directions.
    Yep - both Richard and myself wanted to remove some of the politics but little else. Because if you want to produce things you really need to have easy exports to your closest neighbours and people are usually happy with white rather than non-white neighbours.

Personally the only problem I have with Indians is their tendency to have poor quality phone lines.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

This more resembles the Harrow Train Crash - two SPADs careering headlong into an obstacle that was eminently foreseeable and causing carnage.
    Not a huge amouint of carnage though so far, although Mr Gove might metaphorically have been on his way to Peterborough - no sign of him so far.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    How long before the first resignation/sacking then? David Laws lasted 17 days in 2010 which actually beats Truss sacking Kwasi.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,002

No Kemi?

Wasn't she reported to have gone into Number 10? Did she turn something down?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,851

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

The only method I can see in these appointments are that he is saying “most of these ministers have been in for a wasted month, they know their departments and we don’t have any more time to waste” but it gives him potentially quite a powerful position with the party wings - he’s said to the nutters “see I’ve made a broad church and left them in”, then he tells them what they are going to have to do and then if they fuck up he can sack them and can say to their groupings that he gave them the chance without being partisan and they messed up so can’t complain.

So each of these ministers, Cruella, not so cleverly, etc need to toe the line if they want to keep their positions and their wings keep their representation.

This could of course be bollocks and Sunak is an evil Bond villain.

• Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    nico679 said:

Driver said:

nico679 said:

Driver said:

nico679 said:

A spineless set of appointments by Sunak . And with Braverman I can go back to utterly loathing the Tories . Fxck Sunak and his compassionate Conservative garbage .

"go back to"?
    I briefly mellowed and then Sunak put the stain on humanity back as HS .
    Well, you never seemed to stop using the phrase "stain on humanity", which says a damn sight more about you than her.
    Why I’m not the one taking glee from shipping people to Rwanda with orgasmic joy . She’s a sociopath.
    "orgasmic joy"? Give me a break.
  • Options
    Surely Braverman is just about sending a message about being "tough on immigration".

We all know nothing is actually going to happen in practice.

Suppose Betfair opened the market:

Will a single person be deported from UK to Rwanda in next five years? Odds would be Yes 1000, No 1.01.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,568
    Carnyx said:

Ms Coffey in DEFRA.

God no. Another job where she can cause havoc with people's safety.
  • Options
    I can’t believe I missed King Charles III getting publicly creampied.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63374080
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

We have a Home Sec.y who is a few sandwiches short of a picnic

A Deputy PM who is basically a hole in space and is not sure what Dover & Calais are about

Cleverly as Foreign Sec. :D:D

Grant "I know a few dodgy schemes" Shapps as Business Sec.y??
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,491

We were saying earlier only illiberal arseholes are allowed to be HS

It's the best way to finish them off.

Their simplistic populist solutions leave them twisting in the wind.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

My interpretation is that a medieval home office is there to provide right wing political cover for tax rises.

Yes the dividing line he wants for the next GE us clearly migration.
  • Options

No Kemi?

A shocking omission given Kemi Badenoch did back Rishi (and was part of a pro-Sunak decoy op according to the tin foil mob). What posts are left?
  • Options
    boulay said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

The only method I can see in these appointments are that he is saying “most of these ministers have been in for a wasted month, they know their departments and we don’t have any more time to waste” but it gives him potentially quite a powerful position with the party wings - he’s said to the nutters “see I’ve made a broad church and left them in”, then he tells them what they are going to have to do and then if they fuck up he can sack them and can say to their groupings that he gave them the chance without being partisan and they messed up so can’t complain.

So each of these ministers, Cruella, not so cleverly, etc need to toe the line if they want to keep their positions and their wings keep their representation.

This could of course be bollocks and Sunak is an evil Bond villain.

Larry gets a bleach and a hair extension?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Surely Braverman is just about sending a message about being "tough on immigration".

We all know nothing is actually going to happen in practice.

Suppose Betfair opened the market:

Will a single person be deported from UK to Rwanda in next five years? Odds would be Yes 1000, No 1.01.

Yes and its a sticking plaster over the recent Reform UK drift
  • Options
    Any one know who got health?
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

They are in fact, already reassured. Look at Gilts and the pound.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    British Electoral Politics
    @electpoliticsuk
    Westminster Voting Intention (Red Wall):

LAB: 56% (-5)
    CON: 28% (+7)
    LDM: 8% (+3)
    REF: 5% (-3)
    GRN: 2% (-1)

Via
    @RedfieldWilton
    , 24-25 October,
    Changes w/ 16-17 October.

SBLOTS.
  • Options
    Starry said:

Quite.

Voted to sell off the forests and against climate change measures, yet now in charge of environmental matters https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/24771/therese_coffey/suffolk_coastal/votes
    I was hoping for Gove. Did a good job there before but left without having to progress it.
    Yes, Gove would have been good. Not sure what is left that he'll accept?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    Kemi surely gets education assuming it's still available.
  • Options

No Kemi?

A shocking omission given Kemi Badenoch did back Rishi (and was part of a pro-Sunak decoy op according to the tin foil mob). What posts are left?
    Stays at trade?
  • Options
    RH1992 said:

How long before the first resignation/sacking then? David Laws lasted 17 days in 2010 which actually beats Truss sacking Kwasi.

Laws was such a shame. Would have been great as CST and in the Quad. Though Alexander was fine in the end.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,211
    carnforth said:

Roger said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Hold on a sec.

What's your solution?

The circle that needs to be squared - immigration, but not to the point of creating wage deflation in various low skilled jobs.

Due to the world wide shortage of skills, unlimited immigration of doctors will not cause doctors wages to fall, for example
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Gillian Keegan already got the gig.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Yeah its stabilise party unity, recover in the polls then unleash the GE team and plan.
    Reshuffle just before conference
    Braverman appointment has to have been part of the deal for her to back Sunak when Johnson withdrew

It is pure politics but you are correct to say that this cabinet has been chosen to stabilise party unity and the opposition will concentrate on Braverman but next weeks budget statement will capture the narrative going forward
  • Options

Starry said:

Quite.

Levelling up surely?
  • Options
    Who is chief sec to the treasury
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609
    Some of these 'retain but move about' decisions are weird.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,311
    MaxPB said:

I'm slightly surprised to see people shocked that Braverman is back, this is the cost of doing business for Rishi. We all said how massively significant it was that she backed him instead of Boris, was anyone really that naïve that they thought it was a freebie?

Politics is a messy business and sometimes getting down in the mud is the only way to win. Rishi showed he was a grown up rather than playing student politics by getting political enemies like SB on side. Is it ideal? Obviously not, but the alternative is Boris bringing back Priti or SB for HS. SB was the kingmaker, this was her price.

If Braverman genuinely held the fate of the PM in her hands, then he's pretty useless as PM anyway.
    There's no good way to spin it.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    kjh said:

Carnyx said:

Ms Coffey in DEFRA.

God no. Another job where she can cause havoc with people's safety.
    Perhaps she is moving to Stage 2 of the Antibiotic Resistance Project - Farm Animals.

US meat will look pristine compared to our soon-to-be junkie animals :D
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609

Penny punished.

Risks making her a rallying fleg if Rishi underwhelms. Albeit, if Rishi underperforms then LotO is best she can hope for in her career.....
    Why? She's only 49. She could be Loto then win in 2029.
    That's a long time to try to be at the top of politics.
  • Options
    Chris said:

The Labour Party must be breathing such huge sighs of relief.

I doubt it. I suspect they will be doing what many of their supporters on here are doing and desperately trying attack lines that will be received with cheers from their core supporters, but where most real people will go; "really?"

I think the Labour Party have good reason to be worried. They will be tempted to underestimate Sunak in the same way as idiots in the Tory Party underestimated Starmer. It is going to be an interesting couple of years, but a blessed contrast to the past few - the grown-ups are now back in charge of both major parties. For that we should all rejoice (in spite of the Braverman appointment)
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Can someone fill me in on why Cleverly is being mocked? Hes not had any great gaffes or failures has he?
    Is it just a 'hes tories innit' thing?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,311
    ydoethur said:

Gillian Keegan at education

Who is Gillian Keegan?
    Wikipedia is your friend.

Seems about average in the Education Secretary uselessness stakes.

• Options
    biggles said:

Starry said:

Quite.

Levelling up surely?
    With Mr Sunak and Mr Hunt in charge?
  • Options

No Kemi?

Trade?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

I'm slightly surprised to see people shocked that Braverman is back, this is the cost of doing business for Rishi. We all said how massively significant it was that she backed him instead of Boris, was anyone really that naïve that they thought it was a freebie?

Politics is a messy business and sometimes getting down in the mud is the only way to win. Rishi showed he was a grown up rather than playing student politics by getting political enemies like SB on side. Is it ideal? Obviously not, but the alternative is Boris bringing back Priti or SB for HS. SB was the kingmaker, this was her price.

If Braverman genuinely held the fate of the PM in her hands, then he's pretty useless as PM anyway.
    Whether or not that's true is irrelevant because the alternative would be Boris as PM and probably Braverman as home secretary.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Any one know who got health?

Barclay
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,719
    Driver said:

nico679 said:

Driver said:

nico679 said:

Driver said:

nico679 said:

A spineless set of appointments by Sunak . And with Braverman I can go back to utterly loathing the Tories . Fxck Sunak and his compassionate Conservative garbage .

"go back to"?
    Well, you never seemed to stop using the phrase "stain on humanity", which says a damn sight more about you than her.
    Why I’m not the one taking glee from shipping people to Rwanda with orgasmic joy . She’s a sociopath.
    Why . She clearly loves the idea of others misery . Anyone who made those comments she made at the Tory conference is clearly a disgusting human being.
  • Options

Can someone fill me in on why Cleverly is being mocked? Hes not had any great gaffes or failures has he?

Hasn't he mastered the reverse ferret? An essential skill in a Foreign Sec?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

biggles said:

Starry said:

Quite.

Levelling up surely?
    With Mr Sunak and Mr Hunt in charge?
    Well Sunak does need levelling up himself. Cuban heels?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I live in a medieval home and I have an office there. Thankfully there is no Ms Braverman to keep me on my toes.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Who is Gillian Keegan?

She does seem to have a better claim to have attended a bog standard comp than Liz Truss.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Who is Gillian Keegan?

That bad?
  • Options
    Julian Smith to Northern Ireland would be one appropriate reappointment from the May years… surely Sunak will get this one right…
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Whether or not that's true is irrelevant because the alternative would be Boris as PM and probably Braverman as home secretary.
    But there is not going to be a member's vote now. Boris is gone and we still have Suella "Rwanda" Braverman back in post.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Hasn't he mastered the reverse ferret? An essential skill in a Foreign Sec?
    Isn’t the suggestion that he and the NI team are close to a deal on the protocol? I assumed that was a reason to keep him/them. I’m sure Baker stays to sell it to the ERG.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929
    "Integrity, professionalism and accountability at every level."
    My arse.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Driver said:

nico679 said:

Driver said:

nico679 said:

Driver said:

nico679 said:

"go back to"?
    Why . She clearly loves the idea of others misery . Anyone who made those comments she made at the Tory conference is clearly a disgusting human being.
    I don't think she is particularly pleasant, but I think you might be indulging in rather a lot of hysterical hyperbole.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929
    MaxPB said:

Gillian Keegan got it.
This discussion has been closed.