Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Truss quits – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    Won't anyone think of the mortgage payers?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

WillG said:

Driver said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

EXCLUSIVE:

I'm told that Boris Johnson is expected to stand in the Tory leadership contest

He's taking soundings but is said to believe it is a matter of national interest

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/liz-truss-latest-news-resign-tory-mp-westminster-follow-live-gf7g23fxm

Effing idiot.
    (Boris, not you.)
    When the **** has Boris ever done anything in the "national interest"?
    When he beat Corbyn.
    Some of us are coming around to thinking a Corbyn s***show, although undoubtedly horrific, would underwhelm after the three years we've just been party too.
    Corbyn would have completely screwed over Ukraine.
    And covid with Corbyn in charge doesn't bear thinking about.
    Wrong Corbyn.
    There is no right Corbyn.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,708
    A colleague at work upon hearing about Boris Johnson standing.......

Well, Judgement Day will be upon us soon.....
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,501
    Anne Saccoolas pleads guilty to causing death of Harry Dunn.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-63328168

Someone has compromised. Causing death by Careless Driving is the cotton-batting offence that that dangerous drivers' lawyers negotiate down to to try and avoid a prison sentence.

• Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,930

Maximum chaos outcome is, of course, that Johnson wins, but then has to resign when the standards Committee decides he lied to the House.

https://twitter.com/anthonyjwells/status/1583094685219753984

If he won i suspect there might be a vote to bin the investigation 'in the interests of stability' if thats possible?
  • Options
    the only candidate with a chance of winning the next election (or at least not massively losing it) is Boris - Logic suggests therefore the tories should pick him
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,901
    “I’m very proud of the Prime Minister. She tried to provide choice for this country - the country’s just not ready for it yet” says Chief of Staff Mark Fulbrook at a swiftly-called Downing Street all-staff meeting.
    https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1583097855564165120
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,980
    Mr. Pete, Venezuela and the USSR say hello.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    FF43 said:

Driver said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

EXCLUSIVE:

I'm told that Boris Johnson is expected to stand in the Tory leadership contest

He's taking soundings but is said to believe it is a matter of national interest

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/liz-truss-latest-news-resign-tory-mp-westminster-follow-live-gf7g23fxm

Effing idiot.
    (Boris, not you.)
    When the **** has Boris ever done anything in the "national interest"?
    When he beat Corbyn.
    I genuinely think Corbyn, bad as he was, would have done the country a favour if he had won in 2019. We're talking relative scales of disaster.
    Yep - any lingering self-doubt I had about voting Jez in 2019 has long gone.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001

Longer than Brian Clough at Leeds United?

By a single day :(
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,340

biggles said:

Can Boris actually stand? Is there not an investigation ongoing into his behaviour in Downing St?

Am investigation about his actions as an MP, which has not direct bearing on whether or not he’s PM….
    Until they find against him and he has to stand down. Again.

And we have a contest for a new PM. Again.

Tory leadership elections. More addictive than crack.
    Why would he have to stand down? This is Boris. Ignore honour and look at the purist legal position.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,968
    The PB Tories have again reverted to this weird nostalgic fantasy they have about a bloke from north London who is no longer a Labour MP. It really is an odd affliction.
  • Options

According to Chris Mason friends of Brandon Lewis are urging him to stand.

Who? Mrs Lewis?
  • Options
    NEW: Priti Patel is likely to back Boris Johnson if he does try and get back into No 10. Two sources close to the former home secretary say she would support the ex-PM.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,555

Maximum chaos outcome is, of course, that Johnson wins, but then has to resign when the standards Committee decides he lied to the House.

https://twitter.com/anthonyjwells/status/1583094685219753984

If he won i suspect there might be a vote to bin the investigation 'in the interests of stability' if thats possible?
    In the interests of stability they should hold it tomorrow.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,688

The PB Tories have again reverted to this weird nostalgic fantasy they have about a bloke from north London who is no longer a Labour MP. It really is an odd affliction.

Rather like PBTories insisting on calling any independent-minded Scot a Jacobite, at the same time as accusing them of being republicans.
  • Options

Great Yarmouth might just about stay blue i guess.......
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    I guess this means the social care cap is back on?

• Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

kinabalu said:

If Boris is serious then Penny and Rishi need to come as a unity combo.

No, they need to get about 130 guaranteed backers each and engineer it so they both make the final 2.

If he gets into the membership vote he will win.
    But there won't be a membership vote.
    As I understand the Conservative Party constitution at the moment, the MPs have to present the Party with a "choice" of candidates.

So the MPs set the rules for Round 1, but they have to give the Party Chairman at least two names unless there is only one nomination received (as with Howard).

However, if they give the Chairman two names and one subsequently withdraws (as with May/Leadsom in 2015) the remaining person is immediately declared elected unopposed.

So I agree if the final two were Mordaunt and Sunak, it's likely the one who was second among MPs would withdraw and there would be no membership vote (and that they'd agree in advance that would be the approach). But if Johnson (or someone like Braverman) made the cut, they'd be less likely to play ball.
    This is correct. And, under Schedule 9, the constitution can't be changed in time to affect that.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,631
    Source close to Brandon Lewis says “colleagues are pressing him to stand”

https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1583100733787774977
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,157
    Magic Grandpa gives his thoughts

Jeremy Corbyn
    @jeremycorbyn
    ·
    1h
    The debacle of Liz Truss’ short-lived premiership is a symptom of a broken economic system and a trashed democracy.

We will continue to lurch from crisis to crisis — and ordinary people will pay the price — until we finally build a society for the many, not the few.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,158
    DougSeal said:

I think it is going to be Johnson. He’s the least bad option they’ve got. I’ve had a large nibble.

It really is. I have been assuring my son it will be Sunak or Mordaunt, and Johnson is out of the picture. I was wrong. Poundland Churchill returns cleansed.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,431
    I actually stand to make some money (from an old bet) if Johnson is leader on 1 January 2023 :lol:

(ended up all green on that market, after trading, so not much, but Johnson is my best result on that)
  • Options

Is that source Landon Brewis ?
    Being pressed by Lewdon Brandis ?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,631

Boris with a chastened and disciplined party could be the Goldilocks scenario for the Tories.

LOL. Boris Johnson chastened and disciplined. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    I said the party, not him. They'd be much less likely to undermine him having been through the experience of the last two months.
    They didn't undermine him! He undermined himself by his recklessness, incompetence and utter lack of integrity. Can you imagine his smirking face as he returns to Downing Street? The message he will take from the whole episode will be that he is invincible and untouchable. If he comes back the Tory Party is over, finished. Go ahead and do it, I can't wait.
    Like him or not, and I know many people don't, but he wasn't out of his depth as Prime Minister.
    He wasn’t exactly on top of his brief, was he?

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    edited October 2022

Jeremy Corbyn
    @jeremycorbyn
    The debacle of Liz Truss’ short-lived premiership is a symptom of a broken economic system and a trashed democracy.

We will continue to lurch from crisis to crisis — and ordinary people will pay the price — until we finally build a society for the many, not the few.

He almost seems proud of her for taking on the markets.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Let's go, Brandon.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,920
    Boris seems to be getting support..............................
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,449
    Scott_xP said:

NEW: Priti Patel is likely to back Boris Johnson if he does try and get back into No 10. Two sources close to the former home secretary say she would support the ex-PM.

Oh god make it stop.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,112

Two colleagues won't be enough, Brandon.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Mr. Pete, Venezuela and the USSR say hello.

I don't dispute the utter, utter carnage. Maybe not Russia, but Venezuela is looking less like a failed state than the UK is at 15.27 on a Thursday afternoon.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

I think it is going to be Johnson. He’s the least bad option they’ve got. I’ve had a large nibble.

Close to zero chance imo, Doug. It's a super safe lay. One for widows & orphans.

And still single digits!
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

So they’regoing to have a contest decided in a week, with the members voting and all and sundry who nobody has ever heard of is throwing their hat in the ring?

And they’ve learnt absolutely NOTHING from the last six weeks? I seriously increasingly hope they lose EVERY seat at the next election.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

Brandon Lewis?

Not a hope.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,597

Boris with a chastened and disciplined party could be the Goldilocks scenario for the Tories.

I said the party, not him. They'd be much less likely to undermine him having been through the experience of the last two months.
    They didn't undermine him! He undermined himself by his recklessness, incompetence and utter lack of integrity. Can you imagine his smirking face as he returns to Downing Street? The message he will take from the whole episode will be that he is invincible and untouchable. If he comes back the Tory Party is over, finished. Go ahead and do it, I can't wait.
    Like him or not, and I know many people don't, but he wasn't out of his depth as Prime Minister.
    He wasn’t exactly on top of his brief, was he?
    That depended on whether his brief was a busty blonde or not.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731

If the tory members really do get the final say, then expect them to exempt themselves from any tax rises and protect themselves from spending cuts.

What an absurd situation.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Brandon Lewis?

Not a hope.
    Similar to when Nicky Morgan took soundings....
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Rather like PBTories insisting on calling any independent-minded Scot a Jacobite, at the same time as accusing them of being republicans.
    I’ve not spotted that. As Tories, aren’t they supposed to be the Jacobites?
  • Options
    Mr. Pete, disagree. Venezuela was ruined for years. While Truss was terrible, the price for that was the shortest premiership in history.
  • Options

He's slumped in a chair in one of the Commons bars and they're trying to get him home?
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    I can only think that some Tory MPs are thinking that reinstalling Johnson is the only way they can answer why they shouldn’t have another election. F*CK OFF and never come back.
  • Options
    ping said:

If the tory members really do get the final say, then expect them to exempt themselves from any tax rises and protect themselves from spending cuts.

What an absurd situation.
    One of Johnson's proudest achievements was "fixing social care", so I am assuming the cap will be back on once he is back in No. 10.

• Options

You forgot Leon Wisbrad - that's three.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

kinabalu said:

No, they need to get about 130 guaranteed backers each and engineer it so they both make the final 2.

Brady has said there will be hasn’t he?
    He said the membership will be "consulted". Let's see what Berry says later.
    Theres no time for anything proper so consultation is pointless.

Thats not even a dig at the members, the mps made Truss a choice after all.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Carnyx said:

I’ve not spotted that. As Tories, aren’t they supposed to be the Jacobites?
    Indeed, which makes it even odder. I think it's the Hanoverian = modern Establishment equation.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    There is no point in someone becoming leader if they cannot unite MPs behind them. That means a general election.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442
    kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

Close to zero chance imo, Doug. It's a super safe lay. One for widows & orphans.

And still single digits!
    They've longed for him since July. What the heart wants..
  • Options

Like him or not, and I know many people don't, but he wasn't out of his depth as Prime Minister. His biggest problem was that the party was divided and many of them wanted him out because they were complacent or wanted to further their own ambitions.
    He couldn't run a competent government. Is that not being out of his depth?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,112
    edited October 2022

Jeremy Corbyn
    @jeremycorbyn

Corbyn would have maxed out the borrowing that was possible in the first few weeks.

Then Covid would have hit. And the public sector would have been fine.

The private sector on the other hand (expected to pay for all the public sector-supporting borrowing) would have been battered beyond belief. Four, five million unemployed as he had no means to fund furlough.

But he would have saved a bit on mothballing our entire defences.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

And still single digits!
    Zero chance?

Have you not followed a single thing that has happened since 2016? :smile:
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

...a truss?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Off thread - this board has been kind enough to indulge me over recent months in my rantings about the 11+, which my middle daughter is going through: we've just had the results, and although she just missed out for our local grammar school, she has passed the pass mark for our second closest (which is still just over a mile away and which we are within catchment for). So all being well she will be going there. She has worked uncomplainingly and astonishingly hard to achieve this (despite the handicap of dyslexia) and I am so bloody proud of her.

Future Prime Minister material?* With the wisdom and experience to finally ditch the 11+ for good?

*No offence meant :wink: I'm naively hoping that our future prime ministers are wise, upstanding people.
  • Options

Jeremy Corbyn
    @jeremycorbyn

Corbyn would have maxed out the borrowing that was possible in the first few weeks.

The private sector on the other hand (expected to pay for all the public sector-supporting borrowing) would have been battered beyond belief. Four, five million unemployed as he had no means to fund furlough.

Hmm. Have a look, for example, at the British Army's artillery force, tank force, air defence force ...
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,795
    Some of these Tory MPs need to be sectioned .
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

Given that a coronation looks unlikely there could be a few runners. I'm surprised Badenoch is so long at the odds.
  • Options

Mr. Pete, disagree. Venezuela was ruined for years. While Truss was terrible, the price for that was the shortest premiership in history.

I wasn't being serious Morris, nonetheless look around you and scent that aroma of coffee...or Coffey.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I think he beats Rishi....
  • Options
    edited October 2022

kinabalu said:

As I understand the Conservative Party constitution at the moment, the MPs have to present the Party with a "choice" of candidates.

So the MPs set the rules for Round 1, but they have to give the Party Chairman at least two names unless there is only one nomination received (as with Howard).

However, if they give the Chairman two names and one subsequently withdraws (as with May/Leadsom in 2015) the remaining person is immediately declared elected unopposed.

So I agree if the final two were Mordaunt and Sunak, it's likely the one who was second among MPs would withdraw and there would be no membership vote (and that they'd agree in advance that would be the approach). But if Johnson (or someone like Braverman) made the cut, they'd be less likely to play ball.
    Yes. What I mean is they'll find a way to not have the members voting. One way or another they will avoid that. I think this is close to certain.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Off thread - this board has been kind enough to indulge me over recent months in my rantings about the 11+, which my middle daughter is going through: we've just had the results, and although she just missed out for our local grammar school, she has passed the pass mark for our second closest (which is still just over a mile away and which we are within catchment for). So all being well she will be going there. She has worked uncomplainingly and astonishingly hard to achieve this (despite the handicap of dyslexia) and I am so bloody proud of her.

Many congrats sir. And a relief no doubt.

I'm slightly bemused that kids are still going through this. How many counties still have grammars?

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Hes not even in the Betfair Market.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006
    If Brandon Lewis wants it I don't see how anyone can stop him. Because they won't know which one he is.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Hes not even in the Betfair Market.
    Smarkets has Martin Lewis offered for next PM!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056

Jeremy Corbyn
    @jeremycorbyn

He'd also have saved money buying Cuban vaccines.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,597
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Yes. What I mean is they will find a way to not have the members voting. One way or another they will avoid that. I think this is close to certain.
    But how? Something that is close to certain, you should be able to envisage how it happens.
  • Options

Jeremy Corbyn
    @jeremycorbyn

But our supply of Russian oil and gas would be running like a state discounted Soviet era Lada Riva.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,708
    If Johnson gets in front of the membership, he'll walk it easily.
    They still love him......

Whether he'd win a GE is a different ask.
  • Options

Just. And the Tories ARE damned, I think.
  • Options
    Where theres Chope theres Hope
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited October 2022

Jeremy Corbyn
    @jeremycorbyn

And if Churchill was shot in the Boer war we would all be speaking German...........

IT NEVER HAPPENED! So who cares?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Given that a coronation looks unlikely there could be a few runners. I'm surprised Badenoch is so long at the odds.
    One would hope the first round cuts out anyone without X (being a high %) of votes.
  • Options

Early signs are that the Conservative Party HAS NOT LEARNED A FUCKING THING from the Truss debacle.

"Hey, I'm a Tory MP - and I could make a great PM!"

No, you idiot, you couldn't. Sit down and STFU.

Rishi and Penny should jointly make it clear that any MPs who stand and don't get enough votes to go into the next round will not be asked to be a member of their new Cabinet, whichever wins. Making a lot of noise just to get a place round the Cabinet table will fail, spectacularly.

Do we know when Brady will be announcing the rules for the contest?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,604
    Whatever the outcome, hopefully Mogg gets sacked/reshuffled out of BEIS.
  • Options
    Mr. Stocky, be fair. The 1922 Committee need to take some time to work out the most stupid way to run it...
  • Options

Jeremy Corbyn
    @jeremycorbyn

And if Churchill was shot in the Boer war we would all be speaking German...........

IT NEVER HAPPENED! So who cares?
    OTOH the Germans might be speaking English, given how awful Churchill's military decisions were. Gallipoli, for instance.
  • Options
    Tory MP Brendan Clarke Smith tells @SamCoatesSky he wants to bring back #BorisJohnson so “we can get this party going again.” Do they ever listen to themselves? #PartyGate
    https://twitter.com/MrJohnNicolson/status/1583104369137885185
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,976
    kinabalu said:

Johnson just needs to get into the final 2. If it goes to the members, he’s back. If it doesn’t go to the member, there will be ructions, with Johnson as the King over the water, and a mutiny among the membership.
  • Options

Hallelujah, the RedWall is saved! Mind you the South East, South Coast, South West, and East Anglia all go red and orange.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    nico679 said:

Some of these Tory MPs need to be sectioned .

Why "Some of"?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,137
    kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

And still single digits!
    They really really want him and what the heart wants…
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,920
    I saw that episode in The Crown where Mountbatten thought about a coup.

Perhaps we should ask Radakin to be added as a runner ?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Nicola Sturgeon
    @NicolaSturgeon
    ·
    Follow
    If she doesn’t mind, I’ll now just wait for whoever will become the 5th PM (so far) during my time as FM 😉

Philip Sim
    @BBCPhilipSim
    Is Liz Truss set to leave office without ever having a formal meeting or even phone call with Nicola Sturgeon?

I suppose she delivered on that then ... ignoring Nicola Sturgeon.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Stocky said:

One would hope the first round cuts out anyone without X (being a high %) of votes.
    Yes true.

If there are just two runners though ...

If the anti-Sunaks have any sense they will engineer Sunak vs one other who will likely beat him with the membership.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,208

If Johnson becomes PM again I'll leave the country*.

* Well, the ferry is already booked, so I'm going whoever takes over.
  • Options

Never mind BEIS - out of the Cabinet completely.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Early signs are that the Conservative Party HAS NOT LEARNED A FUCKING THING from the Truss debacle.

Rishi and Penny should jointly make it clear that any MPs who stand and don't get enough votes to go into the next round will not be asked to be a member of their new Cabinet, whichever wins. Making a lot of noise just to get a place round the Cabinet table will fail, spectacularly.

Do we know when Brady will be announcing the rules for the contest?
    Once he has arranged for the members to have a vote on accepting the proposed timetable and incorporating any recommendations made by 17% or more of the membership subject to a wider consultation with councillors snd mayors
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599

When did the membership ever get it wrong 🤔
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    edited October 2022

They've fucked this up again already haven't they??

Vote of no confidence in Brady please! My letter has gone in.
  • Options

Who will care what those two say? Seeing as Johnson will be PM next week.
  • Options

Equally staggered (but sort of not) by this. Honestly. They're like junkies; can't bloody help themselves.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,242
    Cookie said:

Cookie, my son, who is also dyslexic, is now in second year at Oxford studying PPE. It can be done but it is indeed bloody hard work. He is a slow reader and that is not an advantage on his course! He got quite a lot of technology help at school, access to laptops to type his answers for exams etc with spellcheck. Make sure your daughter gets the same.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Just. And the Tories ARE damned, I think.
    But far from united.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Stocky said:

biggles said:

Stocky said:

Yes true.

If there are just two runners though ...

If the anti-Sunaks have any sense they will engineer Sunak vs one other who will likely beat him with the membership.
    If, say, 250 agree it should be Sunak or Penny, they could just require 125 nominations to get into the vote…
  • Options
    biggles said:

Never mind BEIS - out of the Cabinet completely.
    He needs to be taken back to 1827 in chains by the ghost of Canning and kept there forever.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Nicola Sturgeon
    @NicolaSturgeon
    ·
    Follow
    If she doesn’t mind, I’ll now just wait for whoever will become the 5th PM (so far) during my time as FM 😉

Philip Sim
    @BBCPhilipSim
    Is Liz Truss set to leave office without ever having a formal meeting or even phone call with Nicola Sturgeon?

I suppose she delivered on that then ... ignoring Nicola Sturgeon.
    Quite, though fair dos, it was equal opps - she did the same for Wales and NI, I believe. (Admittedly it would have been tricky in NI at present.)
This discussion has been closed.