Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Truss quits – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    Will 40 hardcore Truss supporters have the balls to vote for an early election
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242
    ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

So what quiz question is George Canning now the answer to?

Last PM to fight a duel?
    Wellington fought a duel with the Earl of Winchilsea in 1829, while PM.
    Wellington being Early Woke - he was in favour of Catholic Emancipation.

I like the story that a friend of Winchilsea pointed out that

- if he killed Wellington would be the most reviled an in the country. Emancipation would pass without opposition. He would be lucky not to he hung
    - if Wellington killed him, no one would give a shit. Emancipation would pass almost without opposition.
    - if neither of them died, Emancipation would pass anyway, because Winchilsea was in the wrong and had made himself look like an idiot.

• Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    It is chaos but it is democracy in action.

An American friend emails to say ‘At least your political parties can get rid of their embarrassments quickly.’ Glad there’s something we can still do well …
    https://twitter.com/robinlustig/status/1583086959760535560
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Is Penny still the only declared candidate?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,577
    Brady says party membership to be “consulted” over new leader. Unclear if that means they get to vote for a candidate or just rubber stamp a winner

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1583085523731480578
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Going to the members! Insane!

Popcorn
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

I can't see how they get a membership vote in a week. Too many of the blue rinse brigade wouldn't be able to get this set up and done.

And anyway such a contest would be such a farce as to be pointless. It would hardly be a considered vote.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Alistair said:

No ones declared. That's not her direct twitter account.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174
    The members get a vote on the current rules.

These rules can be changed...
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    IanB2 said:

No more Coffey at health; one silver lining at least

Given what is happening elsewhere I wouldn't rely on that!

Sadly!

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,577
    Andy_JS said:

Lizz who?
  • Options

Alistair said:

No ones declared. That's not her direct twitter account.
    Oh.... Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,060

I’m so smug right now.

OK Mr Smug, who is our next PM?
  • Options

so MPs have to keep a nutter off the ballot

Braverman and Johnson final 2
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777
    Boris being backed. 17-17.5 on Betfair. Insane!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    This could become more of a choice between alternative cabinets rather than just leaders. Mordaunt would presumably keep Hunt in place.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Last PM to fight a duel?

- if he killed Wellington would be the most reviled an in the country. Emancipation would pass without opposition. He would be lucky not to he hung
    - if Wellington killed him, no one would give a shit. Emancipation would pass almost without opposition.
    - if neither of them died, Emancipation would pass anyway, because Winchilsea was in the wrong and had made himself look like an idiot.

Sounds a good bloke. "Occasionally he took the chair at May meetings at Exeter Hall, but his intemperate language prevented him from becoming a leader in evangelical politics."
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    Jonathan said:

If Boris stands, he wins. Correct?

Isn't Boris under investigation for accepting that 150k speech fee within the proscribed period?
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Could it be that Brady doesn't think it's his place to discuss the involvement of the member and will leave the job of telling them they won't be involved to Berry later?
  • Options

The Poundshop Churchill and the Poundshop Thatcher have both not quite turned out to be value for money.

Boris delivered Brexit, Truss delivered the abolition of the Health and Social Care Levy.

Lets have a new PM every 4 months who can deliver one thing each.
    They both delivered chaos. That is something that I think it is fair for an electorate to expect not to happen in a mature democracy. Anyone that makes excuses for either is a fuckwit.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    On that Penny pic - they should know better for this time around.

Having nonsense like 'Only X can win' just helps write Labour's attack ads for them, not that they need any assistance with such sloganeering.

Job is to unite the party. You can't do that while attacking opponents in a way that's very helpful for other parties.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Boris being backed. 17-17.5 on Betfair. Insane!

At least he would have a mandate!
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,668
    edited October 2022
    mwadams said:

Number of Prime Ministers by decade for me:

First: 3
    Second: 2
    Third: 3
    Fourth: 2
    Fifth: 3
    Sixth*: 3
    *Less than half way through.

So my sixth decade will have at least 5 unless by some miracle/catastrophe (delete as appropriate) Truss’s replacement wins GE25.

First: 4
    Third: 1
    Fourth: 2
    Fifth*: 5

* ending in a couple of months
    First: 2
    Third: 3
    Fourth: 4
    Fifth*: 2 and soon to be 3

* started a couple of months ago.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Yes I wonder if we've jumped to a conclusion too quickly.

Maybe Brady didn't want to say it would be MPs only until agreed by both 1922 Committee and Party Board?

It could be MPs only and then members or Board rubber stamp later.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,111

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Last PM to fight a duel?

On a point of pedantry:

Wellington was *not* in favour of Catholic emancipation, he just preferred it given the choice of that or civil war in Ireland.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592
    I've seen better organized tea parties in a colony of chimps experimented on with kuru and BSE.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Jonathan said:

Isn't Boris under investigation for accepting that 150k speech fee within the proscribed period?
    You think his fan club care?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Last PM to fight a duel?

Sounds a good bloke. "Occasionally he took the chair at May meetings at Exeter Hall, but his intemperate language prevented him from becoming a leader in evangelical politics."
    Winchilsea would have been too bigoted and stupid to be in the ERG….
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,668
    edited October 2022

The Poundshop Churchill and the Poundshop Thatcher have both not quite turned out to be value for money.

Boris delivered Brexit, Truss delivered the abolition of the Health and Social Care Levy.

They both delivered chaos. That is something that I think it is fair for an electorate to expect not to happen in a mature democracy. Anyone that makes excuses for either is a fuckwit.
    You say that as if its a bad thing.

Chaos is a part of creative destruction and allows evolution and progress.

Stagnation is not a good thing.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Sunak back to odds on.

Maybe leak re likely rules?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Boris into 12s :D:dizzy::neutral::cold_sweat:
  • Options
    This is a shitshow already..

Boris, Braverman. Badenoch

There's so many ways this could go very very wrong.

If it's not Penny or Rishi, then they're doomed.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
  • Options
    Decided to put a tiny sum on Badenoch at 75. Unlikely, but stranger things have happened, she surprised on the upside last time, and seems more fiscally sound than some others.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    Got to say, Cummings called this with great prescience but all the signs were there that she'd be fucking useless after the Lavrov incident.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470

Membership vote. Good god

Maybe just an online confirmation vote. Might exclude some of the less tech-savvy members.
  • Options

Sclerosis is not a good thing.
    You wouldn't know because you never do anything positively disruptive other than tap away on a keyboard writing incoherent contrarian populist shite
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,398

Opinions may differ:

This is make or break time.

We need to get our act together, deliver for the country and win the next General Election.

#pm4pm

Bad targeting - why put a message for MPs on Twitter?

https://twitter.com/pennymordauntpm/status/1583077277079740418

You'd think with ex(?)-LD Truss having crashed the party, any contenders would steer clear of yellow in their campaign materials.

(And what is it with highlighting the full stops?)
  • Options
    Mordaunt hasn't declared, it's a spoof account.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572
    Selebian said:

Opinions may differ:

We need to get our act together, deliver for the country and win the next General Election.

#pm4pm

You'd think with ex(?)-LD Truss having crashed the party, any contenders would steer clear of yellow in their campaign materials.

It's a fake account.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Last PM to fight a duel?

On a point of pedantry:

Wellington was *not* in favour of Catholic emancipation, he just preferred it given the choice of that or civil war in Ireland.
    I take the view that if you have option A or option B, you pick option B and defend your choice with actual gunfire, then you are in favour of B.

Wellington was actually canvassing for votes in parliament and the Lords to get it passed, not merely standing by.
  • Options

I’m so smug right now.

Not Hunt or Starmer.

Lay them.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    edited October 2022
    If Sunak wins and Hunt stays as Chancellor this is going to cause uproar with many Tory members/voters.
  • Options

I’m so smug right now.

Not Hunt or Starmer.

Lay them.
    Not Boris either.
  • Options

Tell that to the poor sods in Ukraine.
  • Options
    My betting this time round is below par, and I shall leave it there as there are too many unknowns at too short prices. A trader could make a bit, the way Rishi and Penny are bouncing in and out.
  • Options
    If it goes to the membership it will surely be the candidate who Rishi isn't. They won't give the globalist, arch-Remainer assassin of Boris another go - that would be tantamount to admitting they were idiots for rejecting him in the first place. No one likes to look stupid (so I'm told).
  • Options
    It's going to be hilarious when Westminster realises Scotland has UDI'd whilst they were distracted.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Stocky said:

If Sunak wins and Hunt stays as Chancellor this is going to cause uproar with many Tory members/voters.

Stocky said:

Why? If Sunak wins he appoints his Chancellor. If you don't want that, vote for Penny.

Or resign as a member.

(The irony is, as my direct debit won't have cancelled by the time of the vote, I effectively have a free vote! PM4PM.....)
  • Options
    Truss has really let Johnson down badly. Couldn't she have waited until his Caribbean holiday was over?

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1583087216124776449?s=20&t=c4ROzzMxWyP_kDVLqpNv4w
  • Options
    I'm finding myself mentally rooting for Boris to win.

Do I need help ?
  • Options

Lots of people trying to shed their Hunt.. and some trying to back him!

I've managed to lay him some more at 44s. After he said he wasn't standing.

Makes a change from shortsighted (in more than one way!) Tory members trying to hunt their shed, I guess :wink:
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Stocky said:

Surely Hunt is staying as chancellor. New leader on the 28th, the chancellor has to make his statement on the 31st! So presumably he's inherited with the role, whoever comes in.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,060
    MattW said:

Jonathan said:

So Johnson reinstated as PM, is suspended from the House for 10 days, loses a recall vote and we're back where we started.
  • Options
    Starmer arguing that Labour would be a stable government. I think they will be anything but when they realise what decisions they would have to make. The internal far-left vs centre-left divisions have not been resolved. They will tear themselves apart.
  • Options

If it goes to the membership it will surely be the candidate who Rishi isn't. They won't give the globalist, arch-Remainer assassin of Boris another go - that would be tantamount to admitting they were idiots for rejecting him in the first place. No one likes to look stupid (so I'm told).

Sunak campaigned for LEAVE!
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 896
    Stocky said:

Are there many left?
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    Andy_JS said:

40? 40 “hardcore” supporters?
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,791
    Just logged back in to say... people keep going on about this being 'chaos', but I'm not so sure. The fact is that she was not up to the job and she got forced to resign and it was all over and done with in a few weeks. It is actually pretty impressive when you compare it to how long Corbyn hung around in the Labour Party.. I'm not sure a General Election would resolve things either, we could well go in to a hung parliament and a stalemate whilst all this chaos is going on, with the SNP holding the country to ransom over the abolition of Trident or whatever. At the moment, we just need someone to carry out the business of managing the country, hopefully the tories will be up to it and not destroy themselves again in the process....
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Tough.

We're not quite in the Italian scenario of a crashed government being replaced by faceless technocrats, but the last six weeks have left us pretty close. The aim for the Conservatives is to steer the UK though the nastiness of the next two years with a bit of dignity before going down to a hefty (but not terminal) defeat.

Hunt has to stay to keep the markets quiet.

Not only that, but Mordaunt and Sunak should probably go and find a quiet room and toss a coin to decide who is PM and who is FS. Get the wretched thing over with.
  • Options

The poor sods in Ukraine would agree with me, they would rather fight chaotically for their nation and their freedom, than surrender to the stagnation of Russia.

Putin has been in power (with a puppet for part) for nearly quarter of a century, don't get much more stable than that.

Stability is vastly overrated. Stability is stagnation, if you want growth, you need instability.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Do I need help ?

You have money on it -> You're sane
    You have shares in popcorn companies -> You're sane
    Otherwise -> Seek help
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Do I need help ?

You're beyond help, I'm afraid.
  • Options

I was being a little ironic. Rishi seems to have become a Remainer in the folk memories of the Tory Right.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Why? If Sunak wins he appoints his Chancellor. If you don't want that, vote for Penny.

Or resign as a member.

(The irony is, as my direct debit won't have cancelled by the time of the vote, I effectively have a free vote! PM4PM.....)
    Hunt stays as Chancellor whatever happens now, surely? It’s imperative that there’s some stability in that role. Only other feasible answer would be a Sunak return.
  • Options
    We're all on team Boris in my office.
  • Options
    TimS said:

May seem counterintuitive but I think we are about to enter a couple of years of very dull politics and surprising stability.

First of all, the Tories will choose someone moderately sensible - I think either Mordaunt or Sunak fits that brief - and I expect the crazies will slowly but surely disappear from the rest of the cabinet. The Hunt and Shapps elevations point the way.

Second, everyone is now terrified of enacting any economic or tax policy that is remotely radical. We are going to see 2 years of stasis in tax, and the cuts that will inevitably be needed will be hidden ones, non-real terms increases, further cuts to local government, and a further slow bleeding of public services.

Third, Labour is now trying to get into government in waiting mode so it will be increasingly focused on developing its own policy programme. It will find it hard to get really worked up about people like Mordaunt and Hunt so the focus will be on policy - particularly the state of public services - rather than personalities. The wing nuts are going to be gone.

The one "exciting" thing we will almost certainly be witnessing or (hopefully not) participating in will be the denouement of the Ukraine war.

Of course if the membership decide to elect Braverman as PM then all bets are off, but I don't think even they are that stupid.

Did you see the poll of Tory members which still said a third would back her?
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Or resign as a member.

Ah, but can you do 'on-line'?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Do I need help ?

He would have immense fun with a “did you miss me” speech. Also bullet proof against demands for an election since he won the last one…

Wrong result for the country but there is a logic to it.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited October 2022
    This contest is going to be ugly.

Which tax rises?
    Which spending cuts?

The Tory geriatric members get to decide.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    The return of Boris but with Hunt as Chancellor and Mordaunt as Foreign Secretary?
  • Options

Backing the "anyone but Rishi" candidate worked so well last time.

How many times does he get to say "I bloody well told you. Nobody ever listens to me...!"
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

We're all on team Boris in my office.

You work in the ERG office!?
  • Options

I’m so smug right now.

Not Hunt or Starmer.

Lay them.
    To (mis)quote General Melchett: “I wouldn’t lay either of them if they were glazed in honey”.
  • Options
    ping said:

This contest is going to be ugly.

Which tax rises?
    Which spending cuts?

The Tory geriatric members get to decide.

If the geriatrics opt to bring back even higher taxes on those who work for a living, then the Tories are finished in my view.

Sunak should accept he made a mistake on that and not bring it back. If he does, then I'll vote for Starmer.
  • Options

Selebian said:

Opinions may differ:

#pm4pm

It's a fake account.
    Ah, d'oh! Still, looking through it reads as a genuine attempt by someone/group to promote her. Either that or the humour is so dry it's positively Saharan.
  • Options

I was being a little ironic. Rishi seems to have become a Remainer in the folk memories of the Tory Right.
    I literally took you too literally.
  • Options

Backing the "anyone but Rishi" candidate worked so well last time.

How many times does he get to say "I bloody well told you. Nobody ever listens to me...!"
    The Cassandra of the Tory Party
  • Options
    TimS said:

AlistairM said:

Starmer arguing that Labour would be a stable government. I think they will be anything but when they realise what decisions they would have to make. The internal far-left vs centre-left divisions have not been resolved. They will tear themselves apart.

We're back to hypothetical chaos of a future Labour government vs the tangible, there for all to see chaos of the current actual government.
    I think I agree on the general point - that people are projecting on Starmer that he is safe pair of hands etc. it is entirely possible that he is another car crash.

Irrelevant for politics and betting - the reality is that all he has to do is *nothing* until the next election.
  • Options

It is because they are just so fucking thick. It was like they overlooked that Truss was an ex-LD remainer, or that Boris Johnson would have said he believed in nationalising the commanding heights of the economy if it delivered either his ambition to be PM or perhaps a BJ from his latest strumpet.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Or resign as a member.

If Hunt wants to stay as chancellor is that implicit support for PM 4 PM as she'd probably let him call the shots there? And Rishi would want to run no 10 and no 11.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Or resign as a member.

Yep. My vote for Rishi last time was acknowledged by e-mail as having been received.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Yes I wonder if we've jumped to a conclusion too quickly.

Maybe Brady didn't want to say it would be MPs only until agreed by both 1922 Committee and Party Board?

It could be MPs only and then members or Board rubber stamp later.

It only takes the loser and the others to withdraw after the final vote between the last two standing, and the question is moot.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

I know Truss has been sh!t and May not a great success, but it would be mildly amusing if there was a fourth Tory woman PM, before any Labour woman gets the gig,,,

It'll either be another woman or a person of colour (or both!)
    It'll be another worthless venal shitbag too, but them's the breaks.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, hope you're feeling better.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Boris in to 7/1
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Hilarious if it’s Boris.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

The members get a vote on the current rules.

These rules can be changed...

Yes but it takes time, you have to hold a National Convention to enact the changes

I am not voting tory again till the rules are changed, even for a party leader I like, because you don't know what you will get.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,866
    EXCLUSIVE:

I'm told that Boris Johnson is expected to stand in the Tory leadership contest

He's taking soundings but is said to believe it is a matter of national interest

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/liz-truss-latest-news-resign-tory-mp-westminster-follow-live-gf7g23fxm
  • Options

The trouble with evolution is that, whilst it leads to progress for the species, it's pretty rubbish for most of the individuals in that species, because they die prematurely. (They have to, or there's no selection pressure.) And the rate of death continues even as the species becomes better adapted- it's just that the margins of success and failure become ever more random and trivial.

Not just skeletons all the way down, but skeletons to the left and right as far as the eye can see.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Or resign as a member.

Yep. My vote for Rishi last time was acknowledged by e-mail as having been received.
    I was joking
  • Options

The return of Boris but with Hunt as Chancellor and Mordaunt as Foreign Secretary?

Hunt would resign. I hope this is not wishful thinking, but Johnson is not going to return. The MPs know how much he has lied, and they know that like Trump, it will all eventually be revealed.
  • Options
    Kemi might be running.... oh God.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    Andy_JS said:
    FFS. Mordaunt or Badenoch. Are the Tories actually incapable of finding normally competent leaders, who can cobble together a somewhat coherent policy?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Do I need help ?

One word: Nadine.

When that is his major cheerleader then, yes, you need help.
This discussion has been closed.