Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The ConservativeHome poll is bad news for Johnson – politicalbetting.com

167891012»

Comments

• MaxPB said:

4% worse than Theresa May and she was out pretty quickly.

I don't think that's comparable remotely, she couldn't get her flagship policy through Parliament.

The MPs have bottled it, they can't expect a resignation in a few months time to let them off the hook, they had the chance to oust him today and they haven't taken it. That's on them.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    Not great, not terrible.

Worst possible result for the Tories.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286
    So it's all down to Tiverton?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

Boris Johnson won with 59% of the votes.

Theresa May had 63% of the votes in 2018, she resigned months later

https://twitter.com/electpoliticsuk/status/1533902226661462016

Yeah, but she had to deal with Boris, and he at least is spared that.
  • MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,192
    He needs a reshuffle and kick the dross out of cabinet. Mogg, Dorries and their ilk are unfit for the roles they fill.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,789
    Cowards.

And now the BBC treat us to extreme close ups of the gammon.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,101

Great result for the opposition parties. A terrible result for Johnson. A disastrous result for the UK.

I think that nails it on all three counts.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,785
    Defection watch
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232
    Boris will say, 'blah blah blah ... this a wakeup call for me ... mistakes I've made a few ... time to turn a new leaf ... blah blah blah' Nothing will change of course, but this will all be tomorrow's chip paper. Then all eyes will turn to Sir Keir and his fine.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,010
    How do you fight a general election with a leader who has the confidence of less than 60% of his own MPs?
  • ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    SKS, this is your moment. Give me a reason to vote for you.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149

MaxPB said:

I don't think that's comparable remotely, she couldn't get her flagship policy through Parliament.

The MPs have bottled it, they can't expect a resignation in a few months time to let them off the hook, they had the chance to oust him today and they haven't taken it. That's on them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzxFTrktN1c
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772
    MaxPB said:

Completely different situation though. I think he is safe for a while now unless the Privileges Committee or the House votes to suspend him.
    Andy_JS said:

Nah. It'll only be lost because the party was engaged in navel gazing about its leadership, it'd be won easily if only people had united sooner.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723
    58.8% pro Boris
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,268
    The oak stares down at the dwarves. The axe is sheathed. The forest breathes again, and leverets gambol between the primroses
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043

He needs a reshuffle and kick the dross out of cabinet. Mogg, Dorries and their ilk are unfit for the roles they fill.

He will double down and promote these characters to top office.

• RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973
    There’s nothing in that that will reassure Tories. They need to get rid of him
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,760

Tory Party bottled it. Dreadful result.

If he had any honour he’d resign now
    If he had any honour he would have resigned months ago (if he'd ever been PM in the first place).
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884

The unflushable turd remains in the bowl

And the agony goes on.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    ydoethur said:

In a sense, that's the worst imaginable result for the Tories. They keep a dud leader, they are associated with his failures and crimes, and they have to explain why he stays in office.

And at the same time, he's lost pretty much all his authority with his party as well as with the public.

One instructive thought - I didn't hear Brady say 'no challenge for a year' the way he did three years ago.

Boris is safe now until the next election, the local elections were so bad in 2019 which forced May out next year the party may even make gains
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Erratum: Just two
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263

Time for SKS to call a vote of no confidence. Then watch the 148 squirm.

Yes, that's what I was wondering. He'd probably win and trigger a Tory leadership contest. But would he want to?
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,010
    Leon said:

The oak stares down at the dwarves. The axe is sheathed. The forest breathes again, and leverets gambol between the primroses

It's party time!
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    ydoethur said:

In a sense, that's the worst imaginable result for the Tories. They keep a dud leader, they are associated with his failures and crimes, and they have to explain why he stays in office.

And at the same time, he's lost pretty much all his authority with his party as well as with the public.

One instructive thought - I didn't hear Brady say 'no challenge for a year' the way he did three years ago.

Internal party rules are open for revision.
    Farooq said:

Vote SNP.

Yes, that's the only option for me now
    Ordering not so much popcorn but a whole banquet from the Chinese section of M&S.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,922
    HYUFD said:

59% - worse than May

4% better than Thatcher got in the first ballot in 1990 though and 13% higher than IDS got in 2003 in his VONC
    Over 40% of his own party want him gone!
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,013
    What a glorious result. Was worried they might pull this off. Delighted that he got brutally reamed and now gets to stagger on in a daze as the noise increases against him.
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,678

Spot the difference:

On the left is TOAST. On the right is burnt bread.
  • He's going to have to call a GE.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,922

New thread

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    NEW THREAD

Fair play to Brady. He didn't hang around.

And he voted. Thought he would remain neutral but he didn't.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232

MaxPB said:

Absolutely. There's no comparison whatsoever. Boris will just declare another reset.
    Zahawi now on Sky drowning badly with the "draw the line, move on" line
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,101
    edited June 2022

Yes, that's what I was wondering. He'd probably win and trigger a Tory leadership contest. But would he want to?
    I think that would be no better way to unify Conservatives.

Leave this alone and let it fester.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,225
    Andy_JS said:

My dad's prediction was better than mine — he went with 150.

Pretty good call though, Andy. Well done.

Pretty good result for that SKS fellow too. All he has got to do now is avoid having his collar felt and he's laughing kitbags.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    Slightly better than what Thatcher managed against Heseltine.
    This thread has been pithed.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

He's going to have to call a GE.

Why?

Great result for the opposition parties. A terrible result for Johnson. A disastrous result for the UK.

Starmer must be drinking indian lager like there is no tomorrow this evening.

Could not be a better result.

Out of touch tories carry on with lying, law breaking twat who hasn't a single clue where he wants to take Britain.
    The biggest winner tonight, laughing and laughing, is Sir Keir Starmer......
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    Am I right that Boris said that 'he would do it all again' ? Referring to the Downing Street parties that is.

If so then all the "Boris gets it and things are different now" claims are bollox.

Well we knew they were bollox but politically crass to confirm it so blatantly.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

211/148

Phew - that's meaningfully worse than TMay.
    This party is no longer fit to govern. Divided, incompetent, useless. Bah.
    I have been saying that since UKIP infiltrated the Tories...

Seems reasonable. A massive number have said they don't have confidence in him as party leader and PM, so he's justified in putting the question. It'd be lost of course, it's political theatre, but it's reasonable to get them to confirm they do have confidence in him after all, if the alternative is bringing him down alongside the opposition.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,089

I'm sure that Johnson is planning to kick the dross out of the cabinet. He may disagree about who the dross are.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited June 2022
    PM won by 59% to 41%. Convincing? Definitely at the worst end of No 10's expectations.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1533902276926005249
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    59% /41%
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Boris is safe now until the next election, the local elections were so bad in 2019 which forced May out next year the party may even make gains
    148 of his mps have voted against him

He will not last the summer

He'd only laugh if he had a sense of humour.
    Do we still think this is the most sophisticated electorate in the world?
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618
    I told you. He’s going nowhere.

The Tory Corbyn is going absolutely nowhere.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    One point is that it makes Hunt the clear king over the water - the only credible successor to comes out against Johnson.
    That is an awful lot of traitorous remoaners in the Tory ranks, they should screen their candidates more.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Completely different situation though. I think he is safe for a while now unless the Privileges Committee or the House votes to suspend him.
    Pretty much same situation. Completely different result because Boris Johnson won't resign.
    Applicant said:

SKS, this is your moment. Give me a reason to vote for you.

Unlike Boris Johnson he isn't a liar, isn't corrupt, doesn't corrupt the rule of law, doesn't stick sons of the KGB in the Lords. I'm not voting for Labour, but the reason why Labour will win the election in form is simple - morality.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

The one single thing that unites all 359 of them, is their support for a Conservative rather than a Labour government.

One point is that it makes Hunt the clear king over the water - the only credible successor to comes out against Johnson.

Massive like.

He put up and did not shut up.

Sunak did not.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,089
    Leon said:

In that anaolgy, Johnson has been thoroughly girdled by this result. The tree might still be standing, but its life expectancy is now awfully short.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

PM won by 59% to 41%. Convincing? Definitely at the worst end of No 10's expectations.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1533902276926005249

Good. She deserves it. It wasn't her fault she was hung ut to dry by the biggest shit in politics.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    By-elections the next crunch event (assuming he doesn't go now, which I don't think there is any chance he will).

@MarqueeMark I think you need to canvas for the LDs in T&H to get what you want.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281
    IanB2 said:

What's wrong with that duck?

Oh, it's lame.

Limpy the duck….
    I wish he'd just duck-off!

Yes. Johnson is now safe for a year from internal mechanisms.
    The only way to have another flush of the toilet (before the GE) is:
    a) A Parliamentary VONC
    b) A successful recall petition in his seat, followed by his defeat at the by-election
    c) A criminal conviction of > 1 year

None of those are particularly likely.
    Andy_JS said:

Possibly. The LD candidate will be hollering from the roof tops tonight. Couldn't have asked for a better result for them.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,745
    148 is a pretty sizeable vote however you dress it up.

More than I was expecting.

As a non-Conservative though, quite happy. Johnson and the Conservative Party are now like a wounded beast, bleeding from innumerable wounds, staggering round the desert, being pursued and harried by the carrion, looking for a quiet place to die.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458

I should think Ed Davey is having a small giggle.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092

kjh said:

I should think Ed Davey is having a small giggle.
    Evan Davis should interview him. Then they can giggle together.

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575

Lower than Theresa May.

Than a snake’s belly.
    Boris Corbyn 211

Sanity 148
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,587
    Every cloud has a silver lining.

The wallpaper and curtains are safe for another year.
    Boris Corbyn 211

Sanity 148
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,171
    ydoethur said:

Agreed. A terrible result for the Conservative party and the country, a good result for Labour and LibDems. Rory Stewart has noted that about three quarters of backbenchers voted against BJ. I don't see how that's viable long term.

What do you say if you're out canvassing for the Conservatives in Wakefield or Tiverton? Does the Tory candidate support Johnson or not? What is a vote for the Conservatives actually *for*? Not being Corbyn doesn't work as an answer any more.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,587

needs 32 to change their mind......

Alun Cairns my MP has stopped responding to my pleadings over the last three weeks. I would be highly surprised if he didn't support Johnson and suspect he will support Johnson until the end of time.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973

needs 32 to change their mind......

Alun Cairns my MP has stopped responding to my pleadings over the last three weeks. I would be highly surprised if he didn't support Johnson and suspect he will support Johnson until the end of time.
    I believe he came out in support today.

Michael Gove refuses to respond to my emails
    Nadhim Zahawi says President Zelensky will be 'punching the air' at the PM's 'handsome' victory

Boris Corbyn 211

Sanity 148

Zelensky 211

Putins Helpers 148
  • MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,192

Nadhim Zahawi says President Zelensky will be 'punching the air' at the PM's 'handsome' victory

The needy clinging to Ukraine is hilarious.

Especially given the oligarch funding, games of tennis with Mrs Chernyukhin and ennoblement of Lord Lebedev of Siberia.

Gut wrenchingly hilarious.
This discussion has been closed.