Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The ConservativeHome poll is bad news for Johnson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• darkagedarkage Posts: 5,215
    biggles said:

MikeL said:

No collapsing on Betfair - now 12.

Someone will have a sense by now - it doesn't take that long to count 360 votes with only two options - so it's possible it's been leaked and traded.

Who else is in the room counting with Brady? And have they the discipline to hand in and switch off their phones?
    But it’s still at 10 and you can bet on the PM. If you knew for sure you’d bet the house on that overnight return.
    Anyone with insider knowledge of this will surely stay well out of the betting. Presumably it is illegal?
    FWIW I thought the odds on Boris being voted out would tighten as the day goes on, and they are going the other way, which is strange.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

Masterly evasion from fatty Cox

"I do not consider that these failings (those in Gray report) are of a kind that need necessarily disqualify the Prime Minister from continuing in his office if he otherwise enjoys the confidence of the Conservative Parliamentary Party, which constitutes the majority in the House of Commons. Whether he does so, will become apparent shortly."

Did he hand out an invoice?
    That's why I write to him, I feel I am getting 1000 worth of freebie per reply . Rather have the cash though
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,145

Boris confident of victory, according to BBC’s Nick Eardley.

MRDA.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

The longer the announcement takes the more likely no has won?

No rush. Take your time Brady!
    I concur. He can wait til next week if he likes.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,672

I am loving the (for me) low stakes drama of this evening. As a Labour supporter I don't think any of the potential results tonight would be bad. Tories fighting like rats in a sack = happiness. Time for a herbal tea, some homemade shortbread left over from Platty Jubes, and a bit of Borgen!

I'm cursing not betting on his survival this morning. Not that I would have had time to.

That way, I would have either money or unbridled joy this evening.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,555

Boris confident of victory, according to BBC’s Nick Eardley.

Mandy Rice-Davies applies.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,635
    A few more allies of the PM are now in the room, 20 minutes early - sitting right at the front and appear to be in good spirits.

‘Lots of smiling faces,’ one says.

https://twitter.com/ShehabKhan/status/1533896279553630208
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,468
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Some very long faces on supporters of @BorisJohnson after poll closed. One PM ally said of Tory MPs: They are a bunch of lying snakes. I don’t trust anything they say

https://twitter.com/nicholaswatt/status/1533889858615255041

Boris Johnson allies complaining about lying snakes? Has their sense of irony been surgically removed?
    His personal magnetism has extracted all the irony from them.
    He is, admittedly, a polarising character.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813
    IanB2 said:

Brady is apparently promising 9pm dead.
    A five-minute slot has appeared in the TV planner for Channel 4 News at 9pm, so I assume that this time has been confirmed for the big reveal.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,584
    9pm result saying Sky
  • I would like to thank Boris Johnson for hi service.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,610

A few more allies of the PM are now in the room, 20 minutes early - sitting right at the front and appear to be in good spirits.

Perhaps they are drunk? ;)
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,189
    edited June 2022
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Some very long faces on supporters of @BorisJohnson after poll closed. One PM ally said of Tory MPs: They are a bunch of lying snakes. I don’t trust anything they say

https://twitter.com/nicholaswatt/status/1533889858615255041

Boris Johnson allies complaining about lying snakes? Has their sense of irony been surgically removed?
    His personal magnetism has extracted all the irony from them.
    They have to steel themselves for the result.
    Can the rebels get to 140?
    - "You always were scum!"

- "REBEL scum!"
  • Johnson to call snap GE to avoid Wakefield and Tiverton defeats(kamikaze)

???
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,935
    ydoethur said:

I am loving the (for me) low stakes drama of this evening. As a Labour supporter I don't think any of the potential results tonight would be bad. Tories fighting like rats in a sack = happiness. Time for a herbal tea, some homemade shortbread left over from Platty Jubes, and a bit of Borgen!

I'm cursing not betting on his survival this morning. Not that I would have had time to.

I have backed survival on exactly those reasons. Sadly I think I will be richer but also sadder.
  • MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,601
    Farooq said:

Due at 9pm, timetable set out before the vote.
    Can't say there won't be leaks before then, but that's the official announcement
    Ah seems Brady's an old hand at this stuff. Gives me hope that any leaky SPADs are kept far away.
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

If Boris stays, some people have a long way to row back from their public comments.

If Boris stays, it's only temporary.
    Not sure Boris agrees, if he wins no one can shift him.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXw2JEdOY30

Johnson to call snap GE to avoid Wakefield and Tiverton defeats(kamikaze)

???

No.

HYUFD said:

I told you then. And I tell you now.

Boris is going nowhere.

Really? Goodbye conservatives
    Conservatives only 4% behind with Redfield today

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1533844966115622914?s=20&t=r4S41UL-AntxbLdyjWMqnw
    SIX MONTHS since the last Tory poll lead - also Redfield und Wilton (6th December).
    There was a Kantor tie.
    A tie makes not a Tory lead!
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,277
    RobD said:

Or, as Johnson already knows the result, it has been leaked to his mates.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,167
    I woke up this morning and my gut said he was gone.

My head said it was very very difficult to lose a VONC.

I think he’ll scrape through, tonight at least.
    He won’t last too much longer though.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    ydoethur said:

That’s always the best strategy with political betting: bet for the outcome you don’t want, then you win whatever happens.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,873
    If they'd done the counting in Sunderland we'd have had a declaration by ten past eight.

My guess: 147 against the clown.
  • pingping Posts: 3,805
    edited June 2022

ydoethur said:

That’s always the best strategy with political betting: bet for the outcome you don’t want, then you win whatever happens.
    No. That’s terrible advice.

You bet on value. Your emotions shouldn’t come into it.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,383

Johnson to call snap GE to avoid Wakefield and Tiverton defeats(kamikaze)

???

He'd lose those two and 100s more if he did that.

9pm result saying Sky

It always was 9pm.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,673
    darkage said:

biggles said:

MikeL said:

Someone will have a sense by now - it doesn't take that long to count 360 votes with only two options - so it's possible it's been leaked and traded.

Who else is in the room counting with Brady? And have they the discipline to hand in and switch off their phones?
    But it’s still at 10 and you can bet on the PM. If you knew for sure you’d bet the house on that overnight return.
    Anyone with insider knowledge of this will surely stay well out of the betting. Presumably it is illegal?
    FWIW I thought the odds on Boris being voted out would tighten as the day goes on, and they are going the other way, which is strange.
    Nah. Betting is a free for all. That’s why (madly) we allow CFDs.
    Boris still in power would mean it'll be easier for the Tories to lose the GE. Just sayin'.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,167
    My prediction this morning (not on here, hah) was 155 against.

I woke up this morning and my gut said he was gone.

My head said it was very very difficult to lose a VONC.

I think he’ll scrape through, tonight at least.
    He won’t last too much longer though.

I think that’s probably right, on balance. I’d love him to lose it though.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,705
    RobD said:

If they all think a margin of victory of 1 is a good result, smiling should be reasonably easy to come to.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,265
    darkage said:

biggles said:

MikeL said:

It is completely legal to bet on inside information. Insider trading only refers to securities. (And, in fact, only to a subset of those.)
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,864

Foxy said:

stodge said:

Today's highlight, without a doubt, has been @david_herdson (for whom I would vote were I a Wakefield constituent and who I hope kicks the Conservatives down to third place) demolishing that fatuous waste of space Julia Hartley-Brewer.

Kudos, sir.

Where was that?
    https://twitter.com/DavidHerdson/status/1533856778538082304
    It depends what she means by “woke nonsense”.

If she means an end to “deplatforming” then the statement is internally coherent
  • BarneyBarney Posts: 20
    kle4 said:

Barney said:

A question for the constitutional and procedural experts. Say BJ survives tonight but the Privileges Committee’s report on him is highly critical. What is the process for triggering a vote on suspending or expelling him from the House? And what would be the consequences of such a motion being passed. It would only take 40 highly principled Tories to make that happen.

I don't think we will get that report until the autumn so there is time to ponder that.

But I believe that they propose a penalty and the whole house votes on it. It can be a suspension for a given number of days or even weeks or it could be expulsion.

I also believe that a suspension can also trigger a recall petition if it is over a certain length of time. But I am not sure of the thresholds.
    Suspension from the House of at least 10 sitting days or 14 calendar days, following a report by the Committee on Standards;
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recall_of_MPs_Act_2015#Recall_procedure

At least they've closed the Rob Roberts loophole.
    Thanks. I know it’s a way off, but people are speculating about if and how he could be forced out if he manages a narrow win tonight and this strikes me as one of the more plausible possibilities.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,131
    50 - 99 votes against Johnson looks value to me at 7/1.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,414
    LATEST Allies close to Boris Johnson tell me he has won the vote of no confidence. #Toryleadership
    https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1533898196942036994
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

No is now back at 8.8

It has got a pulse.
    Out at 12.

Foxy said:

stodge said:

Today's highlight, without a doubt, has been @david_herdson (for whom I would vote were I a Wakefield constituent and who I hope kicks the Conservatives down to third place) demolishing that fatuous waste of space Julia Hartley-Brewer.

Kudos, sir.

Where was that?

If she means an end to “deplatforming” then the statement is internally coherent
    The most objectionable one is "no lockdowns ever".

Is she really suggesting that if we got disease with the CFR of Ebola and the transmissibility of Omicron, then the government would not warranted in imposing some restrictions while... you know... they organised the manufacture and distribution of vaccines?
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,023
    Scott_xP said:

LATEST Allies close to Boris Johnson tell me he has won the vote of no confidence. #Toryleadership

Let’s see then..
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,481

Surely Brady knows the result by now..

Brady knows, Brady won't tell
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163
    Eabhal said:

I presume there is a huge spike in visitors to the site on evenings like this? If so, hello! Try posting, it's fun.

Hi there! :D
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,215
    Surely those who are labour, SNP voters etc should be rooting for him to stay on. I don't understand their enthusiasm for him to be voted out. If he loses today, then there is a risk that the tories will sort themselves out and get re-elected in the next GE, which looks unlikely for as long as Johnson is leader.
  • No chance he was ever going to lose
    JohnO said:

RobD said:

Or, as Johnson already knows the result, it has been leaked to his mates.
    Johnson has mates???
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202

Eabhal said:

I presume there is a huge spike in visitors to the site on evenings like this? If so, hello! Try posting, it's fun.

Hi there! :D
    . 😘
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,450
    Final prediction:

Confidence 217
    No confidence 142
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077

Scott_xP said:

I think Starmer will be drinking several Cobras this evening and maybe even a curry if that is the actual case.
    Yeah. If he sticks it's great for Labour.

Whatever HYUFD thinks to the contrary.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,706

Scott_xP said:

I think Starmer will be drinking several Cobras this evening and maybe even a curry if that is the actual case.
    He’s not in the clear yet.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,635
    Heathener said:

Just a reminder that from 9pm we'll get the usual kneejerk cabinet minister guff and all about getting on with the job and 'what really matters for the country' etc. Likewise the Daily Mail and Leon.

The real in-depth dissection will come in a few days and into the weekend.

But not from the Mail or from Leon….
    darkage said:

Surely those who are labour, SNP voters etc should be rooting for him to stay on. I don't understand their enthusiasm for him to be voted out. If he loses today, then there is a risk that the tories will sort themselves out and get re-elected in the next GE, which looks unlikely for as long as Johnson is leader.

I was arguing that a lot of that polling to keep him was from SNP etc ...
    Heathener said:

Scott_xP said:

Yeah. If he sticks it's great for Labour.

Whatever HYUFD thinks to the contrary.
    Yup. Great news for Labour and a divided Tory party
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,402
    Does anyone expect Boris to actually lose? The question is how close and then how he might brazen out a big no vote. It would be remarkable if he lost directly.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,037
    Scott_xP said:

You mean they managed to find under 30 people to give the nod after the vote who had not already declared for him? I am shocked.
    Heathener said:

Just a reminder that from 9pm we'll get the usual kneejerk cabinet minister guff and all about getting on with the job and 'what really matters for the country' etc. Likewise the Daily Mail and Leon.

The real in-depth dissection will come in a few days and into the weekend.

It's like a by-election result that way (the boring ones, really safe in normal times), where the stock lines are just so very transparent.

This one will be tinged with a bit of personal smugness, I expect some of those who voted against will publicly state they will play ball now as they had their shot, but at the end of the day the problem of poor leadership is only solved by new or improved leadership. They're not getting the former and Boris is incapable of the latter, so rumble on it shall.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,189
    rcs1000 said:

darkage said:

biggles said:

MikeL said:

It is completely legal to bet on inside information. Insider trading only refers to securities. (And, in fact, only to a subset of those.)
    Cheating at gambling is certainly an offence. I would not be surprised if someone betting on such an election with knowledge of the result was considered cheating. Case law could go either way imo. IANAL.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,228
    Andy_JS said:

Final prediction:

Confidence 217
    No confidence 142

Very plausible.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,428
    Out all day, not reading through 3,000 comments. I reckon 130ish against, roughly the same proportion as went against Mrs May in 2018.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,946
    Fecking cowards.
    End of the line for the Tories, new party please
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

Kudos, sir.

Where was that?

Is she really suggesting that if we got disease with the CFR of Ebola and the transmissibility of Omicron, then the government would not warranted in imposing some restrictions while... you know... they organised the manufacture and distribution of vaccines?
    Quite.
    Although if that happened virtually everyone would voluntarily lock down.
    I think one of the issues around Covid has been that for most people, even pre vaccines, you got over it. It really has been a reaper of the elderly and those who are not in the best of health.* I’m not convinced how many more would have died overall if we hadn’t locked down.

*And some very fit younger people too, before everyone jumps in.

rcs1000 said:

darkage said:

biggles said:

MikeL said:

Cheating at gambling is certainly an offence. I would not be surprised if someone betting on such an election with knowledge of the result was considered cheating. Case law could go either way imo. IANAL.
    Knowing the result is not cheating.
    Alistair said:

darkage said:

Maybe they think he is uniquely unfit to be Prime Minster and every hour he remains so damages the nation?

I understand the notion of Country before Party is hard for many to understand
    The logic is that eliminating the Tory Party is good for the country, and this is the best way to achieve it.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

9pm result saying Sky

It always was 9pm.
    It's eight fifteen
    And that's the time it's always been

Now 14.

Anyone brave enough to ride this wave?
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    My guess - 199 yes, 160 no
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,990
    I am in The Green Dragon in Hereford. People are talking about the vote tonight. Perhaps Hereford will have a Liberal MP again. On to Tiverton!
    Jonathan said:

Does anyone expect Boris to actually lose? The question is how close and then how he might brazen out a big no vote. It would be remarkable if he lost directly.

Lots on here today have said he would lose today. Looking like hope casting now, sadly.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,208
    Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

darkage said:

Maybe they think he is uniquely unfit to be Prime Minster and every hour he remains so damages the nation?

The logic is that eliminating the Tory Party is good for the country, and this is the best way to achieve it.
    The only way you would eliminate the Tory Party was if Farage got a new party again that replaced it
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,706

Fecking cowards.

We don’t know the margin yet. His sycophants have been saying a margin of 1 is enough.

He may simply limp on for a few months then be put out of his misery.
    edited June 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

9pm result saying Sky

It always was 9pm.
    It's eight fifteen
    And that's the time it's always been

Edit - Conditions normal and we're coming home
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,670
    Jonathan said:

I think its possible, yes. Though I will be delighted to be wrong because when he wins with an uncomfortably small margin, we all win :)
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    edited June 2022
    Pulpstar said:

Surely Brady knows the result by now..

Brady knows, Brady won't tell
    Brady has told the PM hence his supporters turned early in room looking chipper. 😕

When Mays win was announced huge roar from everyone made me think it was manufactured to only have the victors in front the camera.

But if it’s more than 130 so, it’s not that great. But in the circumstances of the charge seat against him, surviving with only 130 against is quite good for them really.
    If Johnson has survived, at least it’s made my choice for the next election much easier
    Jonathan said:

I thought it was possible. Hearing all the rumours swirling now it feels like he’s won it though. I will go for 150+ against, pyrrhic victory (watch me be horrendously wrong and it will be 65 or something).

My guess - 199 yes, 160 no

201 - yes, 158 - no
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

darkage said:

The only way you would eliminate the Tory Party was if Farage got a new party again that replaced it
    You mean that the Tory Party has absorbed UKIP? I quite agree.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,864
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

Kudos, sir.

Where was that?

She only said “promise” no lockdown ever…
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,974
    @moonshine this is your 5 minute warning
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,228

Now 14.

Anyone brave enough to ride this wave?

No, looks like I've lost this bet.

But, we don't know how close it is - Brady might have told the PM out of courtesy if he'd lost (or not) but if he mentioned the number it'd leak almost instantly.
    Eabhal said:

@moonshine this is your 5 minute warning

Sirens howling ...
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

rcs1000 said:

darkage said:

biggles said:

MikeL said:

Betting on something that you have knowledge of is not cheating unless the conditions under which you place the best stipulate you do not possess the knowledge - in which case you would fall under section 3 for deception.
    I would love a shock, but I fear the front bench have reason to be smug. The rebels don't have much to hold over their heads from this point onwards.
  • The odds of a Labour landslide have surely increased now
    edited June 2022
    Taz said:

Fecking cowards.

We don’t know the margin yet. His sycophants have been saying a margin of 1 is enough.

He may simply limp on for a few months then be put out of his misery.
    Not good enough for me. It needed doing today
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,635
    I am going to go for 120, so hopefully I can be pleasantly surprised.

The odds of a Labour landslide have surely increased now

Unlikely because Scotland. Majority, maybe.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,450
    Less than 30 votes in it and Johnson will be gone fairly soon I think.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    kle4 said:

I would love a shock, but I fear the front bench have reason to be smug. The rebels don't have much to hold over their heads from this point onwards.

Apart from by-election losses and declining poll numbers…..
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,535
    kle4 said:

Really? All the declared rebels are on the other side of the river and there's nothing for them to lose now.
    Its gonna be 190 -169
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,380
    Chris Mason is a serious step down from Laura Kuenssberg (even if his name is a hell of a lot easier to spell). He brings no value at all, tripping from banality to banality.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,428
    rcs1000 said:

I've got to get back to work, so I would appreciate a result asap.

I've got to get back to sleep, so I would appreciate a result asap.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,189
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

darkage said:

biggles said:

MikeL said:

Knowing the result is not cheating.
    Up to case law to define. The Ivey edge-sorting case suggests the term cheating is to be interpreted more widely than punters might expect. It is also established that it is cheating to bet post the event in roulette. Bookmakers in their t&c explicitly list insider trading as cheating. I don't think it is a big leap to see a court find likewise.

If such a case came to court I would be happy to back 4/1 either side, as long as it was not against the judge.....
    Who has done best in expectations management? One MP is saying anything more than 100 voting against PM woule be surprising and disappointing (as they owe Boris), others are saying if it is less than 140 he is probably safe.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    If he wins narrowly, and you were Keir Starmer, would you move a Commons VONC?

For: It'd be really hard to persuade the 100-odd openly rebellious Tories to oppose it.
    Against: Why interrupt the Conservatives in their arguments?
This discussion has been closed.