Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The ConservativeHome poll is bad news for Johnson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265

Interesting to peruse list of Tory MPs publicly backing PM. This is what one of them told me in hushed tones a few months ago of the government whips: “They haven’t got a xxxxing clue what is going on. We have completely shut down. We are not telling them what we think….

…. They have spies everywhere. So we are all just saying: of course we support you. They do not know what is going to happen.”

https://twitter.com/nicholaswatt/status/1533882220087234562

Well if that's true then the 156 is hogwash.

And I have to say that I'd be inclined to declare that I support him and voted for him, whilst doing the exact opposite.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

Anyone else have sneaky suspicion Number Ten engineered the timing of this putting votes in themselves? Even the chat with Brady to make it today I doubt it was pushed by Brady.

Obviously Johnson wins this. The calculation number 10 has made is timing of the VONC to give them best possible result, in fewest number against. Before the by elections obviously. Announced Monday morning held Monday evening looks like Number 10 idea too.

I wonder if, not just the by elections coming, they fear something else coming out that’s damaging soon. Damaging in the sense of it makes 145 against him if held in 4 weeks time not the 120 today.

If they keep it to 120 or less against, he’s safe for a year at least isn’t he?

If he loses a third of his mps he will not last the summer
    Do you have a track record of getting a single prediction right? Or even maintaining the same prediction for more than two consecutive days?
    I suspect that is aimed at me not dear old Big G wasn’t it?

I’ll answer it. If only 120 of 350 vote against him, how exactly do they force him out from there anytime soon? Just to have another vote they have to change the rules just to have another vote - the optics of that won’t be helpful, and even then he might win by the same again? How else do they apply pressure? How else do they force him out if can’t vote him out?
    If 120 of 350 vote against him, then BJ is in the same position May was in 2019, and Major was in 1996-97; he's in power, but it is clear that his party is not with him.

And leaders, once the rot has started, rarely turn it around.
    At what level of opposition does a win effectively become a non-win. 160 against? 170?
    In my humble opinion but this is all just finger in the air stuff:

150+ - he won’t make it through to the summer recess.

120-150 - gone within 6 months.

100-120 won’t fight the next GE

anything below 100 - chance to actually turn it around. But no guarantee.
    Though I thank you for the replies, no one has answered my question. 150+ plus against him is a clear bad result for Boris - yet he is still there! How is he out if you can’t vote him out?

To use RCS example, Major went on two years to lead into the election after his win. If Boris has less than 132 against, he has bettered May’s result (it’s done on percentages), arguably May resigned running out of road getting Brexit done, it wasn’t forced on her or voted out in second vonc.

I think anything under 120 he will fight the election, that figure is a clear Boris win. But what then removes him anytime soon?
    I agree with you.

180+ straight red card.

150-180 mortally wounded but not out yet, will almost certainly resign within the next year or so at an opportune moment.

130-150 on a yellow card, anything new and he's out.

Sub 130 wounded but survives unless he chooses to go or something new comes up.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934

Wowsers Dehenna Davison voted no confidence!!!

Good girl! Bishop Auckland HOLD
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    I want to hear the reports that someone arrived a few minutes late and was turned away.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    My prediction: Boris wins, but not well enough to survive for long - 190 to 168 .

(The missing vote is because Nadine Dorries found the ballot paper too difficult to complete correctly).
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    Dehanna votes Johnson out.

Red Wall crumbling...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308

Alistair said:

Incredible.

“I’m not telling anybody how I’m voting today.
    “It’s a confidential ballot and it’s between me and the ballot paper.

Aberdeenshire Tory MP Andrew Bowie refuses to say if he backs Boris Johnson… https://t.co/tO7uZ11L4K via @thecourieruk

https://twitter.com/davieclegg/status/1533857519851999233?t=drfyBsRDxPl4K_o6xDrOTA&s=19

He voted no confidence
    Bowie under pressure?
    Absolute beginners.
  • Options

I want him out, I've bet on him losing, but rules are rules. If he loses a majority, then that should draw a line under his premiership and we should move on. If he wins a majority then that should draw a line under it and we should move on.

50%+1 is a majority and that applies to either side. If MPs don't like that, they should vote accordingly or change the rules, not bitch about losing like Rees Mogg did last time. I was gutted May survived her Confidence vote but accepted the fact she'd won it and thought Rees Mogg was an idiot for suggesting otherwise. Same principle applies today.
    But a confidence vote is not like a vote on what to do. It's not viable to function if you've lost the confidence of, say, 45% of your MPs.
    Then the rules should say so. They don't.

The threshold is the threshold and that has to be respected, that's democratic. Whinging about it makes you no better than Rees Mogg last time.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

15 minutes to go.

Beeb aren't starting their special until 8:30 so I guess we are not getting an immediate result?
    9pm and both Marr and Dale reckon it’ll be late.
    Are the counters from Norfolk?

No they got Croydon council in to run it
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,685

Dehanna votes Johnson out.

Red Wall crumbling...

I had her down as voting against Johnson in my tally this morning.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Dehanna voting against quite a big deal..
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,250
    Taz said:
    I was on the Boris bummed bus earlier this afternoon. This absolutely smashes it home. The red wall, someone seen as very likely to hold her seat, someone who is only an MP because of Boris.

Voting no confidence.

He is gone.
  • Options

I want him out, I've bet on him losing, but rules are rules. If he loses a majority, then that should draw a line under his premiership and we should move on. If he wins a majority then that should draw a line under it and we should move on.

50%+1 is a majority and that applies to either side. If MPs don't like that, they should vote accordingly or change the rules, not bitch about losing like Rees Mogg did last time. I was gutted May survived her Confidence vote but accepted the fact she'd won it and thought Rees Mogg was an idiot for suggesting otherwise. Same principle applies today.
    But a confidence vote is not like a vote on what to do. It's not viable to function if you've lost the confidence of, say, 45% of your MPs.
    Not without massive changes. But what could he do to restore their confidence after that? Especially as for many of them it is his character that is the problem.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689

Foxy said:

I could be wrong but it seems to me like there are a disproportionate number of SW England Tory MPs going public in their opposition to Johnson.

Would make sense if true. They must be under serious threat from a Lib Dem revival and anti-Tory tactical voting at the next election.
    I suspect all the talk of levelling up in the Red Wall grates in a lot of the SW with it's own issues.
    I don't hear that much from my Tory friends here. What I hear over and over is: 'disgraceful behaviour', 'no integrity', 'lazy', 'lying', 'incompetent'... Partygate has played really big here, including amongst CP members.

The other thing that's beginning to hit home is that Brexit farming support is worse than when we were in the EU.

LDs are likely to do well in the SW next GE.
    Yes, that is the implied result of levelling up, so Tory shires in the SW get levelled down.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687

Chris said:

Does anyone know when the exit poll will be released?

Do we get one? MPs don't know. Can't see the '22 tellers gobbing off about how the count is going. Would there be time for "word has it" leaks before Mrs Brady reads the numbers?
    I presume after 8pm it takes 5 mins to count and double-check the votes.

Then Johnson presumably gets given the result in confidence and 30mins to prepare a statement before the results are announced?
  • Options
    Taz said:
    The personification of the Brexit-backing Red Wall.
    Bye bye, Boris.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,292

Then they should have set the rules of the confidence vote to require the party leader to win the support of two-thirds of their MPs, or whatever threshold they think is more appropriate than 50%.

May only finally went because she was prepared to countenance talks with Corbyn as a way out of the Brexit impasse, and that was the trigger for people to make it clear that the game was up. There's not going to be anything so urgent and pressing that would force the issue in a similar way. Johnson could limp on with the support of 50% +1 for a surprisingly long time.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963
    Alistair said:

Cookie said:

https://twitter.com/DavidHerdson/status/1533856778538082304

The absolute disconnect of this.

You can either defend free speech or you can try to regulate what is said in, say, schools. You can't do both.

But of course, she doesn't really want free speech. She just wants to be the one regulating it.

Absolute sense from Mr H

Not really. You can argue that individuals should be free to say what they like but that the state, in the form of state schools, shouldn't be pushing one side of the culture wars.
    Yep. Mr H is completely wrong there. All the more so given that so much of the so called 'woke' agenda involves denying people freedom of speech based on the idea that we should not be allowed to say things that might hurt people's feelings. Wit that comment it appears that David Herdson has bought into the Newspeak mythology.

And that is in spite of the fact that, as a rule, J H-B is wrong in everything she says and does.
    The people whose feelings are most hurt and go on about it the most are the likes of JHB.
    Well indeed. As I say I am not defending her but there is a logic to what she says. You do not defend and enhance free speech by making rules about what can and cannot be said. Which is very much the agenda being followed at the moment in many institutions.

I avoid this time using the word 'woke'. I only used it in my last reply because it was the term that had been used in the original posting. I think it is a much abused and pointless term which adds nothing of meaning to an otherwise serious debate.
    But it is this conservative government that is passing laws and setting regulations banning the teaching of certain topics in schools.
    Oh I agree. I am not supporting or agreeing with them either. Such dangerous idiocy is still dangerous idiocy no matter which side indulges in it.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,423

rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

Anyone else have sneaky suspicion Number Ten engineered the timing of this putting votes in themselves? Even the chat with Brady to make it today I doubt it was pushed by Brady.

Obviously Johnson wins this. The calculation number 10 has made is timing of the VONC to give them best possible result, in fewest number against. Before the by elections obviously. Announced Monday morning held Monday evening looks like Number 10 idea too.

I wonder if, not just the by elections coming, they fear something else coming out that’s damaging soon. Damaging in the sense of it makes 145 against him if held in 4 weeks time not the 120 today.

Do you have a track record of getting a single prediction right? Or even maintaining the same prediction for more than two consecutive days?

I’ll answer it. If only 120 of 350 vote against him, how exactly do they force him out from there anytime soon? Just to have another vote they have to change the rules just to have another vote - the optics of that won’t be helpful, and even then he might win by the same again? How else do they apply pressure? How else do they force him out if can’t vote him out?
    If 120 of 350 vote against him, then BJ is in the same position May was in 2019, and Major was in 1996-97; he's in power, but it is clear that his party is not with him.

At what level of opposition does a win effectively become a non-win. 160 against? 170?

That feels plausible. But if had a chance to turn it around, what would he actually do to turn it around? He's clearly got no great policy initiative or genius Cabinet appointments to pull out of a hat.
    It's why the "call an election pronto" strategy if he wins reasonably narrowly feels plausible to me. What else is he going to do?
    Send a task force to Crimea?
    Truss has already floated that, flotilla. I wouldn’t rule it out. So many people in the will starve without that grain.

Operation Shreddies
  • Options

The threshold is the threshold and that has to be respected, that's democratic. Whinging about it makes you no better than Rees Mogg last time.
    Nah it's not just about the raw numbers BR.

He needs to command the confidence of his own members of parliament. That isn't about 50.1% vs 49.9%.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Heathener said:

Interesting to peruse list of Tory MPs publicly backing PM. This is what one of them told me in hushed tones a few months ago of the government whips: “They haven’t got a xxxxing clue what is going on. We have completely shut down. We are not telling them what we think….

…. They have spies everywhere. So we are all just saying: of course we support you. They do not know what is going to happen.”

https://twitter.com/nicholaswatt/status/1533882220087234562

Well if that's true then the 156 is hogwash.

And I have to say that I'd be inclined to declare that I support him and voted for him, whilst doing the exact opposite.
    I just don't think very main of them will have been so brazen as to publicly lie about their intentions.

And I think LostPassword sets out why, unlike May, Boris can limp on for quite awhile.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,846
    Perhaps a reason to put less faith in the payroll vote .

Johnson and his cabal are more vindictive and so they felt more pressure to publicly back the clown .
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204

Andy_JS said:

15 minutes to go.

Beeb aren't starting their special until 8:30 so I guess we are not getting an immediate result?
    How hard is it to count 300 odd votes? 5 minute job, surely. I assume the delay is to inform the pm so he can be ready either way.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

There's absolutely no chance of Boris calling an election, he'd lose his own seat.

Unless he has stitched up a rat run to a safe seat
    A chicken run would be even more humiliating than losing his seat, and there's no guarantee he wins that either. The constituents may not take kindly to having Boris foisted on them.
    There is no safe tory seat in Britain while he remains PM. That is what the by-elections are telling MPs, never mind the booing and the jokes on TV and all that.

This is an age of volatile voting.
  • Options

Chris said:

Do we get one? MPs don't know. Can't see the '22 tellers gobbing off about how the count is going. Would there be time for "word has it" leaks before Mrs Brady reads the numbers?

Then Johnson presumably gets given the result in confidence and 30mins to prepare a statement before the results are announced?
    320 ballots. 5 minutes to count them tops.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,193

Wowsers Dehenna Davison voted no confidence!!!

That was one I didn’t expect. Good for her.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I want to hear the reports that someone arrived a few minutes late and was turned away.

Or didn’t bring photo-id
    "Look mate, there's no way there's a parliamentary constituency called, what was it, Mole Valley? So bugger off."
  • Options

My prediction: Boris wins, but not well enough to survive for long - 190 to 168 .

(The missing vote is because Nadine Dorries found the ballot paper too difficult to complete correctly).

I reckon he wins 203 to 156 but tbh I haven't a clue
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,653

rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

Though I thank you for the replies, no one has answered my question. 150+ plus against him is a clear bad result for Boris - yet he is still there! How is he out if you can’t vote him out?

To use RCS example, Major went on two years to lead into the election after his win. If Boris has less than 132 against, he has bettered May’s result (it’s done on percentages), arguably May resigned running out of road getting Brexit done, it wasn’t forced on her or voted out in second vonc.

I think anything under 120 he will fight the election, that figure is a clear Boris win. But what then removes him anytime soon?
    I refer you to the answer I gave earlier.

If he wins, he wins, and he remains leader, respecting the result. In practice, we've often seen leaders choosing to resign subsequently. That's their choice and must also be respected. Why do they resign? Because they understand the reality of the situation they are in.
  • Options
    Anything under 200 for Boris and he is sweating I think.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,726
    edited June 2022
    Heathener said:

He needs to command the confidence of his own members of parliament. That isn't about 50.1% vs 49.9%.
    His own Members of Parliament have agreed a system to collectively resolve this issue by 50.1% vs 49.9%, that is what they agreed to stand by.

If he wins by 50.1% then his own MPs if they really can't stand the result can resign the whip, or defect to another party. If they don't, he still has the majority of the House, just as May did even though I didn't like the result.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    Heathener said:

I reckon he wins 203 to 156 but tbh I haven't a clue
    Well that's informative.

• Options

Chris said:

There's a lot of time spent arguing about the spoilt papers with cocks drawn on and so forth though?
  • Options

Taz said:
    The personification of the Brexit-backing Red Wall.
    Bye bye, Boris.
    Would have been better if she had announced earlier.
  • Options
    Incidentally, I'd normally expect the unwavering support of a Cabinet of big hitters to benefit a PM who is being challenged.

Absolutely baffled as to why this Cabinet's support doesn't seem to be helping Boris at all.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    nico679 said:

Perhaps a reason to put less faith in the payroll vote .

Johnson and his cabal are more vindictive and so they felt more pressure to publicly back the clown .

The names of those who submitted No Confidence letters will presumably be known but the ballot is secret so in theory anyone can claim they voted "the right way" (whatever that turns out to be) and you couldn't gainsay them.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    rcs1000 said:

Graham Brady MP
    @SirGrahamBrady
    Off down the pub. Count will be in the morning. It's less tedious if I have a hangover.

7:48 PM · June 6, 2022·Twitter Web App

Surely there is time for a swift half?
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779

Chris said:

Why 320? Aren't we expecting 359?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Quick question, did those not able to get to Westminster get a vote?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    52% / 48% ?
  • Options

Heathener said:

His own Members of Parliament have agreed a system to collectively resolve this issue by 50.1% vs 49.9%, that is what they agreed to stand by.

If he wins by 50.1% then his own MPs if they really can't stand the result can resign the whip, or defect to another party. If they don't, he still has the majority of the House, just as May did even though I didn't like the result.
    That just doesn't work. None of the problems that forced this vote will have been fixed. When constituents complain the answer can't be "the PM just won a confidence vote" as the solution to CoL etc etc
  • Options
    I would love it if its 52 / 48 either way.

We used to call that the 'cursed numbers' I believe, its been a while since we've had that appear.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Tired. Might get an early night.

I'm honestly close to giving up, it's been a very tiring day.

Incidentally, I'd normally expect the unwavering support of a Cabinet of big hitters to benefit a PM who is being challenged.

Absolutely baffled as to why this Cabinet's support doesn't seem to be helping Boris at all.

Because it's not a Cabinet of big hitters.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    MaxPB said:

I've bet on him losing. The public declarations are insufficient, I don't get why 8/1 is available.

It honestly feels as though a Boris backer is attempting to make Boris look like the favourite and is willing to stake a few hundred thousand.

The 8/1 just doesn't make any sense at all, he's probably favourite to stay in but 2/1 would be fair.
    Wouldn’t said backer stop ploughing in money by two mins to 8pm? Still at 7.5
  • Options

Only for 12 months - it may well there's another No Confidence vote this time next year.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Proxies were available
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I think they can nominate a proxy.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Will Brady do the courtesy of informing the PM first?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,423
    Taz said:
    I’ve got quite a thing for her. 💘

She’s got a HUGE future.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Jonathan said:

Yes, via proxy.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Does Boris actually get told the result in advance?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

By proxy, yes.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,482

Chris said:

There's a lot of time spent arguing about the spoilt papers with cocks drawn on and so forth though?
    However you interpret it, a cartoon phallus is obviously a vote for Johnson.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203

I think if I was a Tory MP, one look at the quality of that cabinet would more than convince me of the need for a change.
  • Options

Heathener said:

That just doesn't work. None of the problems that forced this vote will have been fixed. When constituents complain the answer can't be "the PM just won a confidence vote" as the solution to CoL etc etc
    Of course not, so the government will have to either resolve the CoL and other issues, or lose the next election, but that is up to us the voters to decide at the next election.

But the 'confidence' issue will be resolved, the government officially maintains the confidence of every MP holding the whip, even if they vote against tonight.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    MaxPB said:

And much of their support feels as if it's given under duress
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Chris said:

Why 320? Aren't we expecting 359?
    Yes.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    moonshine said:

MaxPB said:

I've bet on him losing. The public declarations are insufficient, I don't get why 8/1 is available.

It honestly feels as though a Boris backer is attempting to make Boris look like the favourite and is willing to stake a few hundred thousand.

The 8/1 just doesn't make any sense at all, he's probably favourite to stay in but 2/1 would be fair.
    Wouldn’t said backer stop ploughing in money by two mins to 8pm? Still at 7.5
    I didn't say it was that, just that it feels like it.
  • Options

Heathener said:

That is indeed why people won't move on, but it is the rule they have chosen. Sure, they can theoretically amend the rules if things stir up again, but it feels like this is it really. Everyone knows more will come with Boris, it always does, if they've held out now the views of the MPs won't change, so unless it literally is 50%+1 a handful changing their tune later won't change that he is there for the duration.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

And much of their support feels as if it's given under duress
    There's always a feeling of hostage videos with all these public pledges of support every time this happens.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,141
    stodge said:

Only for 12 months - it may well there's another No Confidence vote this time next year.
    Or a majority of MPs could pop a note to the 1922 and say "we are done with him, please change the rules" which they can do in consultation with the Party Board on almost no notice, and without any kind of vote.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Alistair said:

Incredible.

“I’m not telling anybody how I’m voting today.
    “It’s a confidential ballot and it’s between me and the ballot paper.

Aberdeenshire Tory MP Andrew Bowie refuses to say if he backs Boris Johnson… https://t.co/tO7uZ11L4K via @thecourieruk

https://twitter.com/davieclegg/status/1533857519851999233?t=drfyBsRDxPl4K_o6xDrOTA&s=19

He voted no confidence
    Bowie under pressure?
    Absolute beginners.
    He's a lad insane
  • Options

John Stevens
    @johnestevens
    ·
    1m
    🚨 The final tally of public support is 157 Tory MPs

We will find out the result at around 9pm
  • Options

Because there are no longer "big beasts" in the Cabinet with their own followers who can be relied upon. We have moved on from that to a Presidential system where the Cabinet are all placemen who can give no more votes than their own. This is not a criticism in particular of the current cabinet, by the end of the Blair/Brown government it was the same. Our politics just doesn't seem to have the same characters or people who represent a certain constituency in the party anymore. It has not been a positive development.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,420

Good question. If he doesn't, it seems rude. If he does, he might leak it.
  • Options

I think if I was a Tory MP, one look at the quality of that cabinet would more than convince me of the need for a change.
    That probably goes for quite a few of the Cabinet, privately, Groucho Marx style.

"If I am worthy of being in the Cabinet, we are in real trouble"
  • Options

Heathener said:

I get your argument. But it's difficult to command a House of Commons of 650 MPs when only 180 of them have explicitly backed you.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

Taz said:

She’s got a HUGE future.
    She seems a bit publicity hungry...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

rcs1000 said:

Graham Brady MP
    @SirGrahamBrady
    Off down the pub. Count will be in the morning. It's less tedious if I have a hangover.

7:48 PM · June 6, 2022·Twitter Web App

Surely there is time for a swift half?
    A swift whisky and a revolver with the PM?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Please
  • Options

I feel you. I'm trying to finish this novel about colonization of Mars and it's just now proving as dramatic.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,685
    Dehenna Davison wasn't a surprise. She's indicated previously she would vote against Boris.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Johnson 'wins' 187 to 172!
  • Options
    This is going to be a tie isn't it?

We are in the 2020s after all...
  • Options

(That's my prediction not the leaked result.)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,711
    This is my final spreadsheet tally but it comes with a bunch of massive caveats given an unprecedented number of MPs have not declared their intentions:

198 confidence
    161 no confidence

https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1533886825739206656
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,482
    What's the worst possible result for the government? That leaves him as an utterly lame duck, but still alive?

Based on not very much, I guess about 230-130. Which might be where this is heading.
  • Options
    So, by now, someone must know the result. I mean, 359 votes. It's not hard.
  • Options

Yes, that's what I was hinting at, possibly too subtly.
  • Options

Taz said:

She’s got a HUGE future.
    Absolutely, in political themed pub quizzes in years to come - name at least three single term Tory MPs from the Red Wall.
  • Options

A tie is a defeat, I believe. He would be gone.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,394

Fux sake dude.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Can someone give me a 5 min warning so I can flip from Netflix to YouTube
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I feel you. I'm trying to finish this novel about colonization of Mars and it's just now proving as dramatic.
    Red Mars? Good trilogy, that I’ve somehow misplaced over the years.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Odd number. No tie possible.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Taz said:

She’s got a HUGE future.
    Absolutely, in political themed pub quizzes in years to come - name at least three single term Tory MPs from the Red Wall.
    Lots of pointless answers for that one.
  • Options

Good question. If he doesn't, it seems rude. If he does, he might leak it.
    Someone said earlier he gets 30mins to prepare a statement.

Presumably along the lines of "we fight on" etc
  • Options

Taz said:

She’s got a HUGE future.
    She seems a bit publicity hungry...
    Is that a bad thing for an aspiring politician?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Farooq said:

That's not true, some MPs mightn't vote
  • Options
    I've just watched the meeting of three icons for the fifth time - the Queen, Paddington and a marmalade sandwich.

That's the Platinum Jubilee for me - you can forget the rest.

By the way anyone using the term "Platty Joobs" should be eviscerated and then ritually disembowelled before being sent to canvass for the Conservatives in East Ham for the next 200 years.

No one with a scintilla of class would collaborate in such a debasement of the English language. I'm told that should include PB sub-editors.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,141
    geoffw said:

Farooq said:

1 abstention could create a tie.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

That's not true, some MPs mightn't vote
    But they'd be paired.

• Options
    DavidL said:

Because there are no longer "big beasts" in the Cabinet with their own followers who can be relied upon. We have moved on from that to a Presidential system where the Cabinet are all placemen who can give no more votes than their own. This is not a criticism in particular of the current cabinet, by the end of the Blair/Brown government it was the same. Our politics just doesn't seem to have the same characters or people who represent a certain constituency in the party anymore. It has not been a positive development.
    Oh gosh, I was being sarcastic - thought that was obvious. I think what you say is considerably worse in the present government than under May or any of her predecessor, however. It really is a Cabinet of none of the talents (or few, being generous).
  • Options

kle4 said:

Red Mars? Good trilogy, that I’ve somehow misplaced over the years.
    That is a remarkable guess given how many novels there are about the subject. I'm actually onto Green Mars at the moment.
  • Options

Fux sake dude.
    ;-)
  • Options
    stodge said:

I've just watched the meeting of three icons for the fifth time - the Queen, Paddington and a marmalade sandwich.

That's the Platinum Jubilee for me - you can forget the rest.

By the way anyone using the term "Platty Joobs" should be eviscerated and then ritually disembowelled before being sent to canvass for the Conservatives in East Ham for the next 200 years.

No one with a scintilla of class would collaborate in such a debasement of the English language. I'm told that should include PB sub-editors.

Did you object to Jubilympics in 2012?
This discussion has been closed.