Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The confidence vote takes place tonight – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,314
    TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

Ironic that, at the end of the Platinum Jubilee, the Conservatives might finish off the Queen's 16th Prime Minister.

Perfect end to the celebrations, as I said last night
    This is definitely the highlight of the jubilee. It is The Biggie that everyone will remember. Just as the Sex Pistols hitting Number One was the clear highlight of the silver jubilee.

God save the Queen
    A fascist regime
    They made you a moron
    Potential H-bomb

God save the Queen
    She ain't no human being
    There is no future
    In England's dreaming

Don't be told about what you want
    Don't be told about what you need
    No future, no future, no future for you

God save the Queen
    We mean it, man
    We love our Queen
    God saves

God save the Queen
    Tourists are money
    But our figurehead
    Is not what she seems

God save history
    God save your mad parade
    Oh Lord, have mercy!
    All crimes are paid

When there's no future, how can there be sin?
    We're the flowers in the dustbin
    We're the poison in the human machine
    We're the future, we're the future

God save the Queen
    We mean it, man
    We love our Queen
    God saves

God save the Queen
    We mean it, man
    We love our Queen
    God saves

No future, no future
    No future, no future
    No future, no future
    No future, no future

No future, no future
    No future, no future
    No future for you

Songwriting and delivery at its very best. John Lydon is one of England’s national treasures.
    The irony being that the Queen continued on and the Sex Pistols imploded.

I suppose Jim Callaghan's 'fascist regime' did lose power less than two years later.
    You say imploded but they are back on the telly. Sex Pistols: banned by the BBC; dramatised by Netflix.
    To be watched by the middle aged middle class.

The Sex Pistols are now part of the establishment.
    Ageing happens to us all eventually.

Before punk the counterculture of the 60s underwent the same process. People who were young then grew up to be the establishment of the future.

The Beatles, Dylan, Doors, Hendrix etc have long been listened to more by establishment figures than revolutionary ones I expect.

After punk, hip hop has become increasingly establishment too.
    Punk was really a middle-class phenomenon. Not many 1976-7 working class kids could afford a leather jacket with safety pins or a blue mohican.
    Soz but that's total bollocks. Of course there were middle class/poshos involved but the core of it was yer actual working class yoof.

Those who criticise it I'm thinking were busy listening to Boney M or Brotherhood of Man.

If you went to the Marquee, Vortex, 100 Club, Roxy, Music Machine, Hope & Anchor, Dingwalls, Nashville, as well as the larger venues - Roundhouse, Rainbow, Hammersmith Odeon then later Bridge House, etc it was full of "working class kids".

Saw The Clash at the Lyceum in The Strand. I was about 40 and middle-class, but I was very much the exception.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    edited June 2022

The endorsement everyone has been waiting for:

@NadineDorries
    PM won 80 seat majority, delivered Brexit, drove testing/vaccine delivery prog, introduced furlough, removed all COVID restrictions opening our economy, first leader to assist Ukraine + has delivered lowest unemployment since 1974. Every big decision bang on. He 💯 has my vote.

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1533724348510527488

But Spud-U-Like has come out against.
    Andrew Bridgen, MP for North West Leicestershire and vocal Brexit supporter, tells the BBC that he will be voting against the PM, saying the public are "exasperated" with Partygate.

He said the row over Boris Johnson breaching lockdown rules and allowing further breaches by his staff is likely to drag on. "I don’t think people are going to forgive and forget," he says.

Bridgen claims that "there has been quite a lot of intimidation within the party to suppress the letters" which triggered the no confidence ballot but says the PM's negative poll rating is a "drag on the ticket".

"It’s not normal for a Conservative PM to be booed outside St Paul’s Cathedral," he says.

(BBC)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    OllyT said:

Jonathan said:

My ideal is a relatively safe pair of hands able to govern effectively and take the Conservatives gracefully into the spell in opposition that they desperately need. Hunt fits the bill. The defence secretary is another.

The worst case is lurching to an extreme or electing an ego trip merchant. Patel, Mogg or Truss. The damage they would do to the country would be immense.

They could do a lot worse than making Jesse Norman leader. That letter absolutely nailed the clown
    Indeed, the only problem Norman faces if Boris wins his vote and carries on. There is nowhere left to go after that note.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    Jonathan said:

Well, I for one am seriously pissed off with Conservative MPs today.

Returning to work after a four day weekend was always going to be hard. I have to complete tedious paper work for a pre-budget presentation. Now full concentration is now next to impossible. There is a full day of idle, pointless speculation on PB to engage in.

So thanks a bunch Brady and the rest of your miserable lot.

The Tories are ruthless b******s.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    edited June 2022
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

See, here’s you - @Scott_xP - a wanky Remoaner, cutting and pasting another wanky Remoaner on Twitter, and he in turn is retweeted by the FBPE wankers

All the greatest anger against him is driven by the imbecile Remoaners

It’s almost enough to get me to support Boris again, but…. Not quite enough. Not this time

Tho I do wonder what will happen to the blind rage of the Remoaners, when and if Boris goes. Will it finally dissipate, or will they simply move on to the next target for their angst?

That, I think is at the heart of it. Intelligent Brexiteers will recognize that the job now is to focus on un-fucking the things that Johnson's version of Brexit has fucked; and that will necessarily take the wind out of the sails of most Remainers. It's hard to look coherent if you are protesting someone doing more or less what you would recommend yourself; only the ultra-hard-line "pretend it never happened and imagine everyone will agree to us proceeding as if it were still 2016" fruit loops will be left on that particular island.

I'm not for a minute suggesting that there is such as a species as the Intelligent Brexiteer on the Tory benches, but you never know.
    I noticed Dan Hannah - an intelligent Brexiteer - was talking about the Single Market at the weekend. He wasn’t suggesting we should rejoin, but the mere fact he used the words is intriguing

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/06/04/should-have-stayed-single-market-rejoining-now-would-madness/

With Boris gone it will be easier to have that much-delayed debate as to what Brexit should do, and what it can’t do. Tho whether the Tories are capable of that debate is a different matter
    Hannan has always been consistent in his support for the Single Market, he wanted to get out of the political structures and wasn’t particularly bothered by FoM.

He’s however correct in his argument that, now we are out of the SM, the UK needs to proactively take advantage of the opportunities offered by such an arrangement. Expect a candidate in the leadership contest, if we get one, to be pushing this line.
    Yes, that’s what I expect, too

As predicted by me on here, it will be Starmer who comes under intense pressure to go for SM/CU membership. And it will accord with his instincts
    The distinction between SM and CU will be the end of Starmer if he tries that. CU membership (the lack of, is what causes border friction) is simply not available to non-EU members.

Rejoining SM without CU, simply means accepting both FoM and whatever Macron wants to add to each piece of EU legislation - for very little benefit. It would mean all those people in retail, hospitality and warehouse work, who are now earning £12-£20 an hour, suddenly go back to minimum wage overnight, at huge cost to the government of in-work benefits, and with additional pressure on housing and government services.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628
    Icarus said:

As a Lib Dem suppose must hope that Tory MPs don't vote for Borexit

Yes I am terribly conflicted. Up until a few weeks ago I wanted him gone for the good of country. Now there are some slight glimmers of hope for the LDs I'm going all hyufd and starting to put party before country. I am terribly, terribly ashamed of myself.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,106
    Leon said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

See, here’s you - @Scott_xP - a wanky Remoaner, cutting and pasting another wanky Remoaner on Twitter, and he in turn is retweeted by the FBPE wankers

All the greatest anger against him is driven by the imbecile Remoaners

It’s almost enough to get me to support Boris again, but…. Not quite enough. Not this time

Tho I do wonder what will happen to the blind rage of the Remoaners, when and if Boris goes. Will it finally dissipate, or will they simply move on to the next target for their angst?

That, I think is at the heart of it. Intelligent Brexiteers will recognize that the job now is to focus on un-fucking the things that Johnson's version of Brexit has fucked; and that will necessarily take the wind out of the sails of most Remainers. It's hard to look coherent if you are protesting someone doing more or less what you would recommend yourself; only the ultra-hard-line "pretend it never happened and imagine everyone will agree to us proceeding as if it were still 2016" fruit loops will be left on that particular island.

I'm not for a minute suggesting that there is such as a species as the Intelligent Brexiteer on the Tory benches, but you never know.
    I noticed Dan Hannah - an intelligent Brexiteer - was talking about the Single Market at the weekend. He wasn’t suggesting we should rejoin, but the mere fact he used the words is intriguing

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/06/04/should-have-stayed-single-market-rejoining-now-would-madness/

With Boris gone it will be easier to have that much-delayed debate as to what Brexit should do, and what it can’t do. Tho whether the Tories are capable of that debate is a different matter
    Daniel Hannan is a stupid person's idea of an intelligent Brexiteer.
    That quote by Julie Burchill, “PERSON XXXXX is a stupid person’s idea of an intelligent person” has always struck me as the stupid person’s idea of an intelligent aphorism. Interesting that you use it
    Interesting that you just used it too.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    edited June 2022
    Boris and co were desperate to avoid a vote. Thst doesn't mean they think they will lose it, but it does suggest to me they know the danger of getting all MPs off the fence via a binary choice. It adds to the number who we know for certain want him gone, which may embolden them to be fractious in future even if he wins.

Another reason I dont buy the 'too soon' argument.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,534
    edited June 2022
    Stocky said:

"Smarkets: 1.83 Wins, 2.04 Loses" I posted an hour ago.

Significant move. Now:

1.38 Wins, 3.50 Loses

Compared to on here the outside world seems pretty confident that Johnson will win this.

I think you have to take a bit of that 3.5?

FWIW I find those odds remarkable. There is really only one certainty about today's vote, and all MPs know it. That is that a Boris win of any sort, from 50.5% of the vote to overwhelming support will fail completely to close down the 'Boris' question.

If he wins the Tories carry on with extreme wounds. They cannot gain support from non Tories, and huge groups of trad Tory voters are alienated beyond repair over the Boris question.

Reason therefore suggests that it is massively in the interests of the party and virtually all MPs to risk the change. Obvs it may be worse, but at least there is a chance. With Boris there isn't.

As it is possible that no further chance will come until June 2023 the MPs can and will take the only chance now.

With that reasoning those odds on Boris losing today look value.

OTOH they voted to keep TM............

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Sunak has backed Boris staying.
    https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1533721564390338560
    From the vaccine rollout to our response to Russian aggression, the PM has shown the strong leadership our country needs.

I am backing him today and will continue to back him as we focus on growing the economy, tackling the cost of living and clearing the Covid backlogs.

According to the Beeb 16 of 22 Cabinet members have publicly backed Boris already. I'd be curious who the 6 who haven't yet are.

Sunak needs to seize the crown today or he will be the David Miliband of Tories for years to come.

As Osborne has been saying, you have to "take" power. No one will hand it over.
    Sunak is 6 months out of date. He only has a position because he is a busted flush. IF Boris goes then no-one will want Sunak in their Cabinet.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

Andy_JS said:

At least 100 will vote against him IMO, which is 28% of the total. Theresa May won her vote by 200 to 117.

It comes down to organisation.

The ERG effectively whipped their bloc against May. Sentiment against Boris can be found in all parts of the party, but I don't know how deep it is.

I expect him to survive but it could easily be a collapse.
    It's really quite fascinating.
    All the other Tory votes we've been able to pretty accurately estimate how many votes. Meyer couple of dozen. MT v Heseltine. Win. But by enough? May. Maybe c 100 against.
    As you say. His support is narrow but deep. Opposition wide but shallow.
    Could be anything really. I wouldn't be surprised by a landslide either way. Or very close.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,603
    Jonathan said:

Returning to work after a four day weekend was always going to be hard. I have to complete tedious paper work for a pre-budget presentation. Now full concentration is now next to impossible. There is a full day of idle, pointless speculation on PB to engage in.

My sentiments too. At least there's not also the final day of a test match to contend with, or decent weather.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

At least 100 will vote against him IMO, which is 28% of the total. Theresa May won her vote by 200 to 117.

The ERG effectively whipped their bloc against May. Sentiment against Boris can be found in all parts of the party, but I don't know how deep it is.

It's really quite fascinating.
    All the other Tory votes we've been able to pretty accurately estimate how many votes. Meyer couple of dozen. MT v Heseltine. Win. But by enough? May. Maybe c 100 against.
    As you say. His support is narrow but deep. Opposition wide but shallow.
    Could be anything really. I wouldn't be surprised by a landslide either way. Or very close.
    Maximising entropy there.

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185

Re header: Can someone translate 'Platy Joobs' for me?

Really? Thought its obviously the fun abbreviation for Platinum Jubilee. This years Jubilympics.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,314
    Selebian said:

Selebian said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

You would think seeing the PM removed by MPs writing letters would disabuse people of the idea that we have a fascist government, but I'm not hopeful.
    Me neither. If Boris goes I reckon the Remoaners might feel a moment of triumph, then a weird bit of depression. Post coitum omne animal tiriste est

Then they will resume normal service, attacking some other figure or institution. Because theirs is a pathology, not a passion
    You’re the one that can’t move on from Brexit given your continual droning on about Remoaners ! There is no moment of triumph for Remainers given the UK is out and won’t be going back anytime soon.
    There are genuinely lots of people who think Boris is the only thing holding Brexit up and that if he goes, we'll swiftly start rejoining.
    You have evidence for that assertion?
    This sentiment is quite common in FBPE circles:

@Andrew_Adonis
    If Boris goes, Brexit goes

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1481539354006802432
    That's nuts. Which is not that surprising, given the source :wink:

Some closer alignment is likely over time, either under SKS/another Labour leader or a Conservative PM some way down the line. But no Tory is going to win the membership ballot on any kind of rejoin/big change to Brexit platform, not get away with a post-victory reverse ferret with the current set of MPs, I should think.

Betting-wise, I want Johnson to stay. Even personally, I think it might be better for him to stay and have a meltdown at the next GE than to go (that does depend on who the next leader would be). But I certainly don't think Johnson's departure is would deliver the kind of EU relationship (cutting the pointless new red tape) I would like to see before the next GE.
    The EU will overplay their hand if a new British PM takes office believing that he or she will be "practical" and fold to all their negotiating lines.

They will continue to misread British politics. You can set your clock by it.
    I imagine they're quite bemused by the whole thing and may well hold fire until someone comes to them with some proposals for change. If not, they really are stupid. What was it Bush said? Fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again. Whole legions of EU beaurocrats who would surely rather commit hara-kiri than draft any more EU-UK agreements :wink:
    The EU will be relieved. Just on a practical level, they found Johnson 'difficult'.

Biden will be happy too. He didn't like Johnson, whatever the public line may have been.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

From the vaccine rollout to our response to Russian aggression, the PM has shown the strong leadership our country needs.

I am backing him today and will continue to back him as we focus on growing the economy, tackling the cost of living and clearing the Covid backlogs.

According to the Beeb 16 of 22 Cabinet members have publicly backed Boris already. I'd be curious who the 6 who haven't yet are.

Sunak needs to seize the crown today or he will be the David Miliband of Tories for years to come.

Sunak is 6 months out of date. He only has a position because he is a busted flush. IF Boris goes then no-one will want Sunak in their Cabinet.
    I think he's one they might be willing to retain, but in a more junior position so he might not accept.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

The world in which we grew up is passing away before our eyes. Yet few are seeing it.

Can you enlighten us on what you mean. I assume you're not just talking about the World Of Boris.
  • Options

It's pretty meaningless though.

They are obliged to say so but can still cast a secret ballot against him.
    Well they are unless they wish to resign as some where claiming Sunak would/should but that never seemed likely.

That's why it'd be interesting to see who the six are who haven't yet publicly said so. If any of them resigned that would dominate the news for the day, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I haven't checked who has or hasn't, but in past times it always seems that Patel is one of the last to do so.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Dura_Ace said:

What Johnson should do, IMHO.

Is win and then call a snap election for the end of this year.

That doesn't seem like his style. If he wins by at least one vote it'll be business as usual (ie shite) and he won't be going anywhere.
    More a pitiless purge of the infidels who came out publicly against him.

There's a non-zero chance of defections if he wins. Lib Dems on high alert.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Whether Boris wins today or not, it is over. He won't get to GE 2024.

Party-gate has been the most astonishing piece of self-ratnerisation in politics in my lifetime.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    edited June 2022
    I don't think the Tory MPs realise that this VONC marks the last hurrah of a different, bygone era. One that we are leaving behind for ever. Is that a good thing? We shall see.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    As an aside for anyone wondering (apologies for not posting sooner), Perdiccas was the regent after Alexander the Great died, but he almost screwed it up utterly by being a bit hesitant and indecisive which gave a loudmouth (and pretty much nobody) Meleager the chance to bait the crowd (heavily armed veteran Macedonian soldiers) and be given authority.

The elite of Alexander's close companions, minus Craterus who was unfortunately absent and Hephaestion who was unfortunately dead, rallied and manage to reassert themselves.

After which Perdiccas had the followers of Meleager trampled to death by elephants as a subtle way of indicating he should probably keep his head down.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046

It's pretty meaningless though.

They are obliged to say so but can still cast a secret ballot against him.
    Not necessarily meaningless. If a big hitter was to make a point of saying they were going to vote against him they might give themselves a head start in any leadership contest.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,374
    Alistair said:

I'm not sure. Rishi will be impressive on the hustings.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,971
    I think he loses. The question for me is the manner of his departure. Will it be magnanimous acceptance of the verdict, and good wishes to his successor, or full-on Trumpian gracelessness?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

Party-gate has been the most astonishing piece of self-ratnerisation in politics in my lifetime.

Don't forget Paterson
    It was the combination rather than one punch.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    TimS said:

Jonathan said:

My sentiments too. At least there's not also the final day of a test match to contend with, or decent weather.
    Lovely sunny day here.

I cannot influence the result. My MP was an early letter writer. Those on the media will have made up their mind. Those who have not are a small minority.

Come back at 8pm for the result.

To contemplate a world without Boris. Or a world where the flush is not strong enough to shift the turd from the pan.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Jonathan said:

If you’re pissed off, just imagine how the Queen feels.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185
    Andy_JS said:

Farooq said:

The world in which we grew up is passing away before our eyes. Yet few are seeing it.

Can you enlighten us on what you mean. I assume you're not just talking about the World Of Boris.
    This has been posted by several people over the weekend in relation to the Queen. TBH its essentially meaningless, as it could apply to any period really, certainly in the last 150 years the pace of change in society, technology has meant that anyone looking back on their childhood would remember a very different world.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

Jonathan said:

Platinum Jubilee
    Should be platty joobs though surely?

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,291
    Jonathan said:

To be fair this is not just about you
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

You'd think more than 40% would be terminal for his leadership.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,803
    Some saying they should have waited till after the by elections but the Bozo cheerleaders would just say then it’s typical mid term blues .

There’s never a perfect moment . I’d be shocked if Johnson loses but I’ve been shocked many times over the last few years .
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    edited June 2022

Andy_JS said:

Hedging your bets again!

I doubt organisation will have much to do with it. They will all vote, and they have all had months to consider what they should do.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258
    nico679 said:

Some saying they should have waited till after the by elections but the Bozo cheerleaders would just say then it’s typical mid term blues .

There’s never a perfect moment . I’d be shocked if Johnson loses but I’ve been shocked many times over the last few years .

Yes and the risk is that Johnson and his cronies would have blamed defeat on the rebels.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Jonathan said:

Platinum Jubilee

And greet you with "how's yourself".

*VOMIT*
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Suicidal for those 16 I'd have thought. Interestingly this latest manoeuvre will have made him even less popular so they will be carrying a particularly bad smell deep into their future careers. Fortunately most of them would be unemployable under any other leader so it wont do them much damage. I'm surprised at Rishi though. One of the very few with both talent and some personal appeal.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,603
    OllyT said:

Jonathan said:

My ideal is a relatively safe pair of hands able to govern effectively and take the Conservatives gracefully into the spell in opposition that they desperately need. Hunt fits the bill. The defence secretary is another.

The worst case is lurching to an extreme or electing an ego trip merchant. Patel, Mogg or Truss. The damage they would do to the country would be immense.

They could do a lot worse than making Jesse Norman leader. That letter absolutely nailed the clown
    Saying a lot of things that should be crystal clear to anyone watching, but yet which the inner circle seem to be in complete denial about. I really do think they've convinced themselves that "the British people" owe them a debt of gratitude for "getting Brexit done" and "the Vaccines" and "just want them to get on with delivering".

The parallels with the Corbynistas are extensive. Same conviction they are the sole source of truth, same belief against all the evidence that they are born winners and that the British electorate are fully behind them, and same obsession with the idea any opposition to them is some nefarious plot led by shady enemies of the people.

By inner circle I mean the first and possibly second concentric ring around Boris, the rings including:

1. (the King's privy) Dorries, JRM, Priti
    2. (the royal bedchamber) Raab, Truss, Gove, Kwarteng, Zahawi
    3. (the state rooms) Rishi, Javed, Wallace, Sharma, various others

Then Shapps who just does his thing and routinely shows loyalty to whoever's the latest leader.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

I would imagine she is sitting back having a nice cup of tea with the broadest of grins
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Nigelb said:

Bridgen claims that "there has been quite a lot of intimidation within the party to suppress the letters" which triggered the no confidence ballot but says the PM's negative poll rating is a "drag on the ticket".

"It’s not normal for a Conservative PM to be booed outside St Paul’s Cathedral," he says.
    (BBC)

Indeed. The London Olympic Stadium is the customary venue.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    I think if Boris loses he will stick around until the new leader is in place, that would allow him another 9-10 weeks longer as PM to overtake Brown and, more importantly to him, Theresa May in tenure terms. If he chooses to go quietly then the party may be minded to give it to him as well, otherwise he sticks around for two weeks while the MPs rush through and pick for themselves.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    edited June 2022

If Boris wins tonight he will likely lead the Tories into the next general election. He will be safe for a year and the Tories did so badly in the May 2019 local elections when they lost over 1000 seats, which did for May, they will likely even make a few gains when the seats are up again next year
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    HYUFD said:

If Boris wins tonight he will likely lead the Tories into the next general election. He will be safe for a year and the Tories did so badly in the May 2019 local elections when they lost over 1000 seats, which did for May, they will likely even make a few gains when the seats are up again next year
    Another keeper....
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979

Jonathan said:

I would imagine she is sitting back having a nice cup of tea with the broadest of grins
    Imagine how Teresa May feels.

And how she will feel as she puts pen to paper sometime between 6pm and 8pm.
  • Options
    Does anyone believe Johnson will stay on if he wins by a narrow majority. I'm not convinced.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Alistair said:

I think he's one they might be willing to retain, but in a more junior position so he might not accept.
    Do you remember someone called Philip Hammond?

I saw his face the other day and genuinely took a few moments to click a) who he was and b) what post he held.

Politics can be very ruthless and time stands still for no one.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979
    Roger said:

Suicidal for those 16 I'd have thought. Interestingly this latest manoeuvre will have made him even less popular so they will be carrying a particularly bad smell deep into their future careers. Fortunately most of them would be unemployable under any other leader so it wont do them much damage. I'm surprised at Rishi though. One of the very few with both talent and some personal appeal.
    Equally suicidal for the 6 who haven't shown loyalty were Bozo to win tonight.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

Ironic that, at the end of the Platinum Jubilee, the Conservatives might finish off the Queen's 16th Prime Minister.

Perfect end to the celebrations, as I said last night
    This is definitely the highlight of the jubilee. It is The Biggie that everyone will remember. Just as the Sex Pistols hitting Number One was the clear highlight of the silver jubilee.

God save the Queen
    A fascist regime
    They made you a moron
    Potential H-bomb

God save the Queen
    She ain't no human being
    There is no future
    In England's dreaming

Don't be told about what you want
    Don't be told about what you need
    No future, no future, no future for you

God save the Queen
    We mean it, man
    We love our Queen
    God saves

God save the Queen
    Tourists are money
    But our figurehead
    Is not what she seems

God save history
    God save your mad parade
    Oh Lord, have mercy!
    All crimes are paid

When there's no future, how can there be sin?
    We're the flowers in the dustbin
    We're the poison in the human machine
    We're the future, we're the future

God save the Queen
    We mean it, man
    We love our Queen
    God saves

God save the Queen
    We mean it, man
    We love our Queen
    God saves

No future, no future
    No future, no future
    No future, no future
    No future, no future

No future, no future
    No future, no future
    No future for you

Songwriting and delivery at its very best. John Lydon is one of England’s national treasures.
    The irony being that the Queen continued on and the Sex Pistols imploded.

I suppose Jim Callaghan's 'fascist regime' did lose power less than two years later.
    You say imploded but they are back on the telly. Sex Pistols: banned by the BBC; dramatised by Netflix.
    To be watched by the middle aged middle class.

The Sex Pistols are now part of the establishment.
    Ageing happens to us all eventually.

Before punk the counterculture of the 60s underwent the same process. People who were young then grew up to be the establishment of the future.

The Beatles, Dylan, Doors, Hendrix etc have long been listened to more by establishment figures than revolutionary ones I expect.

After punk, hip hop has become increasingly establishment too.
    Punk was really a middle-class phenomenon. Not many 1976-7 working class kids could afford a leather jacket with safety pins or a blue mohican.
    Soz but that's total bollocks. Of course there were middle class/poshos involved but the core of it was yer actual working class yoof.

Those who criticise it I'm thinking were busy listening to Boney M or Brotherhood of Man.

If you went to the Marquee, Vortex, 100 Club, Roxy, Music Machine, Hope & Anchor, Dingwalls, Nashville, as well as the larger venues - Roundhouse, Rainbow, Hammersmith Odeon then later Bridge House, etc it was full of "working class kids".

Saw The Clash at the Lyceum in The Strand. I was about 40 and middle-class, but I was very much the exception.
    Of course if some version of The Clash were to play the Lyceum today (kicking out The Lion King would be a challenge) a 40-yr old would be the youngest person there.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Jonathan said:

Platinum Jubilee

All like litch true babe but whatevs.
  • Options
    Any suspended MPs who can be unsuspended for the vote right quick?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I am sorry but he will be out long before GE 24 no matter the result tonight
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    Farooq said:

Dura_Ace said:

That doesn't seem like his style. If he wins by at least one vote it'll be business as usual (ie shite) and he won't be going anywhere.

If he loses, which I hope doesn't happen from a comedy persepective, I don't think he'll quit as an MP either.

He'll continue to trouser the 70 grand a year (or whatever) and while doing his books, speeches and punditry, etc. If he's still on the stage he'll believe that they tory party will turn to him again if things get really shit.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

So we get the VONC and we will know after 8pm this evening if Boris will survive it. My guess is he narrowly willl

A narrow win means he doesn't fight the next election IMO.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Applicant said:

Jonathan said:

Platinum Jubilee

All like litch true babe but whatevs.
    Please make it stop *sobs*
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,233

nico679 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

You would think seeing the PM removed by MPs writing letters would disabuse people of the idea that we have a fascist government, but I'm not hopeful.
    Me neither. If Boris goes I reckon the Remoaners might feel a moment of triumph, then a weird bit of depression. Post coitum omne animal tiriste est

Then they will resume normal service, attacking some other figure or institution. Because theirs is a pathology, not a passion
    You’re the one that can’t move on from Brexit given your continual droning on about Remoaners ! There is no moment of triumph for Remainers given the UK is out and won’t be going back anytime soon.
    There are genuinely lots of people who think Boris is the only thing holding Brexit up and that if he goes, we'll swiftly start rejoining.
    You have evidence for that assertion?
    This sentiment is quite common in FBPE circles:

@Andrew_Adonis
    If Boris goes, Brexit goes

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1481539354006802432
    His depression will be profound - when the next PM is just as resolute on the EU.
    How on earth will Brexit "go"?

The legislation has been passed and we have left. The process to go back will take years even if some mythical new PM started the process to tomorrow.
    Clearly his belief is that the public were duped by Johnson into supporting Brexit, and so his fall will lead to the public coming to the realisation that they were duped, and the 5-1 consensus in favour of European integration that he believes is right and proper will reassert itself, leading inevitably to rejoining, etc, etc.

This seems all a way to avoid the realisation that the referendum was lost because the arguments for Remain were poor.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Does anyone believe Johnson will stay on if he wins by a narrow majority. I'm not convinced.

He is not going to be around much longer no matter what tonight's result is
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

HYUFD said:

Not if he wins well tonight AND the CP hold on to one of the two by-election seats.
  • Options
    If he does go before the next General Election I think that booing will come to be remembered as the moment. It was so unexpected. A royalist crowd, a royalist crowd, booing him spontaneously. As a tory MP has remarked today, 'that is our core vote.'

It summed up the visceral anger (and hurt) out there at the moment and if they don't lance this boil they will suffer a crushing defeat at the next General Election and deservedly so.

Today is the day they must come to their senses, clean up the act, and go forward. They could still pull off a Major '92.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    Andy_JS said:

He'll stay if for no other reason because he needs the money.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,432
    dixiedean said:

Don't forget Paterson
    It was the combination rather than one punch.
    Though the essence of Paterson (Big Dog protects the loyal, the only crime meriting punishment is disagreeing with Big Dog) has been there all along. The curoius thing about Paterson is that it triggered the "that's enough" response that it did. Maybe because a sufficient number of people were fed up with the government anyway, and unwilling to give them the benefit of the doubt any more.

If this is the end (and surely it's now either 10 hours or 10 months to the end- once the question of confidence is out of the box, it never goes back in fully) it will be because of Johnson's character. And whilst the incident showing that up was unknown in the end, it was always going to end something like this.

Even in his honeymoon, people who knew him were pointing out that everyone who deals with Johnson ends up regretting it.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Dura_Ace said:

Bridgen would be an unlikely convert...
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

He is not going to be around much longer no matter what tonight's result is
    You've been right on the money with this, congratulations, and I'm certainly not about to disagree with this assessment.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    edited June 2022
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Have you read Jesse Norman's excoriating letter? No mention of Brexit (other than law-breaking on the NI protocol). Just an attack on Boris's useless government, where serious issues are responded to with crap policies like Rwanda, banning noisy protests, privatising Channel 4, a nuclear power station in every town, and so on. He basically says the government has neither mission nor vision, just empty rhetoric.
    Yes, I read it, and - as I said below - it is powerful. Unfortunately he nails this government all-too-accurately. Directionless and constantly in campaign mode. Enough
    A good letter, certainly. But all this has been known for months and was ... ahem ... predicted by some (me) some time ago.

https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/07/11/what-it-takes-to-be-a-good-leader/ -

"if Boris becomes PM, those who work for him know that they cannot expect him to have their backs if it does not suit him, that he is a politician who does what he wants, not what he ought."

I wrote this back in July 2020 - "Johnson likes to be loved but he likes being feared even more. This can get you far in politics, indeed has got him to the top. When that love fades and the fear goes – and they will, one day – his fall will be worth watching. For those who believe that ruthlessness and ambition, untempered by competence and integrity, are dangerous, that day cannot come soon enough."

Tory MPs may finally do the right thing later today but that they chose this charlatan in the first place should not be so quickly forgiven or forgotten.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    Anybody who thinks that Andrew Adonis is representative of pro-European opinion on the left is as out to lunch as anybody who thinks Mark Francois is representative of Brexiteers. They are both spartans, at the opposite ends.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

For money he can earn far more outside of his current job.
  • Options
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,150
    Rishi Sunak goes to the movies… in a suit and tie

https://twitter.com/rewearmouth/status/1533400778592899073?s=21&t=30y9fTGr4mWhxuKYehp-EQ

Quite bizarre
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

Dominic Cummings is apparently too busy uncorking champagne bottles to have tweeted this morning.

It also appears that the internet is down in the Epping area.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,942
    Home Secretary @pritipatel very quiet on Twitter this morning…
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

Nah, Boris will make loads more money unbound by the constraints of being PM. He'll get his Telegraph column back within a few months, he'll have a memoir out within a year, lecture circuit and guest speaker within two years. I'd guess he has potential income of £10-12m within 5 years post-PM which actually probably covers his child support costs and lifestyle in comparison to his salary as PM which clearly doesn't.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    nico679 said:

"We need to wait for the outcome of...."

The Johnsonite spin since it all started, and will be until he is prised out of No.10, leaving fingernail tracks scored in the doorposts.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,233
    Alistair said:

My gut says the snap vote makes it better for BoJo which is why I have greened out of the exit date market but I really, really don't know (which is another reason I have exited the market)

The Platinum Jubilee works for the rebels here. The threshold may have been reached by Tuesday/Wednesday last week, but momentum has had time to build over the weekend.

If the vote goes against Johnson the story will be written that it was the booing that was the tipping point.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,218
    edited June 2022
    I think the betting has to be that Johnson loses. Then I think there will be a real civil war amongst the Tories, as the Brexiters turn on anyone who advocates any vaguely literate economic policy.

So the Lib Dems bemoaning the loss of Johnson will still have plenty of chances to gain advantage in the coming months.

The jeers and boos really were the last straw.
  • Options
    Leon said:

https://twitter.com/rewearmouth/status/1533400778592899073?s=21&t=30y9fTGr4mWhxuKYehp-EQ

Quite bizarre

He had official pics wearing a hoody over a shirt and tie combination.
  • Options
    This is exactly the type of speculation that would begin circulating if the PM felt uncomfortable about the payroll vote https://twitter.com/breeallegretti/status/1533739380027928579
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Farooq said:

Dura_Ace said:

If he loses, which I hope doesn't happen from a comedy persepective, I don't think he'll quit as an MP either.

He'll continue to trouser the 70 grand a year (or whatever) and while doing his books, speeches and punditry, etc. If he's still on the stage he'll believe that they tory party will turn to him again if things get really shit.
    I'm not sure his ego would permit that but I like the idea if him and May sticking around sniping at each other.

Or new leader puts May in the Cabinet just to dig in the knife.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628
    Nigelb said:

Farooq said:

Dura_Ace said:

Bridgen would be an unlikely convert...
    If he did there would be a lot of defections from the LDs
  • Options
    Leon said:

Quite bizarre

Is that the movies or a Madame Tussaud's exhibit?
  • Options
    Brexiteer and ERG heavyweight @bernardjenkin recuses himself from weighing in on confidence vote speculation as he is investigating the PM: https://twitter.com/bernardjenkin/status/1533739555924451329
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Just a quick one for @Leon as I don't have the time to treat this properly, nor am I the person to do so, but the idea that this is all from 'remoaners' is risible.

One of the several core constituencies that Boris Johnson has lost are those who believe the Conservative Party stands, above all, for low taxes and minimal state. I know that there have been extraordinary external circumstances but this Gov't has been gobsmackingly un-Conservative. We have the highest rate of taxation and spending for zillions of years under a CONSERVATIVE Government. It has really pissed people off on the Right, who were jittery anyway because no-one has a clue what he stands for, least of all himself. When you combine that with serial disloyalty (Owen Paterson) you really must understand that the remainer rump really are the least of Johnson's problems.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Quite bizarre

No time to change after work?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    MaxPB said:

Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

Nah, Boris will make loads more money unbound by the constraints of being PM. He'll get his Telegraph column back within a few months, he'll have a memoir out within a year, lecture circuit and guest speaker within two years. I'd guess he has potential income of £10-12m within 5 years post-PM which actually probably covers his child support costs and lifestyle in comparison to his salary as PM which clearly doesn't.
    He will be a 3 year PM forced out after scandal, no way would he get anywhere near Blair and Thatcher level fees on the lecture circuit.

He also loses his country house at Chequers and staff and chef, loses a town house in Westminster and most of his police escort and no longer dominates the headlines either
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Stocky said:

Fraser Nelson on R4 sounds pretty confident that Johnson will win and says the vote has come too early for those who wish to depose him.

I heard Fraser Nelson on the radio maybe last week, maybe before.
    Was asked if the PM would win the vote?
    He sounded as if he genuinely was shocked anyone could even ask the question.
    Confidence is great. Complacency isn't.
    I wonder how Douglas Ross will vote.
    I suspect 90% of Scottish Tory MPs will vote against him given the local election results.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

I agree with that; he'll be much, much wealthier if he goes than if he stays. He should put himself first, and go.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    TOPPING said:

I don't think the Tory MPs realise that this VONC marks the last hurrah of a different, bygone era. One that we are leaving behind for ever. Is that a good thing? We shall see.

Is it 1914 again or something?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Andy_JS said:

Boris stays if he wins and he has grounds for a fightback, a Boris 3.0 (or 4.0 etc etc.). I'm not sure I currently see it, but a big change in team could be part of it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

He will be a 3 year PM forced out after scandal, no way would he get anywhere near Blair and Thatcher level fees on the lecture circuit.

He also loses his country house at Chequers and staff, a town house in Westminster and most of his police escort and no longer dominates the headlines either
    He's interesting and well known. He'll easily make money from the circuit.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Not if he wins well tonight AND the CP hold on to one of the two by-election seats.
    Even if those things happen he still has a talent for finding trouble that will most likely undermine him.

I think it'll be fairly close tonight as undoubtedly many Tory MPs will simply be tired of being so firmly and continually on the back foot. A leadership election will give the party the chance to work out what they want to stand for. Two more years with a sensible set of policies and they could easily win a majority again, even with the very testing economic climate.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,059
    Meanwhile Guy Verhofstadt is trying to organise a no confidence vote in the Commission over approving Poland's recovery funds: 'If the Von der Leyen Commission no longer fulfils its role as guardian of the Treaties, Parliament should withdraw its confidence.'

https://twitter.com/Barnes_Joe/status/1533737166471409665
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,971
    Scott_xP said:

This is exactly the type of speculation that would begin circulating if the PM felt uncomfortable about the payroll vote https://twitter.com/breeallegretti/status/1533739380027928579

How will he know who voted against him? It’s a secret ballot, so I’d expect public declarations of loyalty that are not necessarily matched by the way the votes are cast.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Dominic Cummings is apparently too busy uncorking champagne bottles to have tweeted this morning.

No, our Epping representative is on maneouvres, obviously.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,150
    MaxPB said:

Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

More than that, perhaps

His memoirs will be the Anglophone political book of our generation. From Brexit to Covid to Ukraine, he’s been there right in the middle unlike anyone else. No one cares what Biden thinks, and Trump is an entirely different proposal. And Boris can write and he’s got plenty of colourful anecdotes, no doubt

He could get £10m JUST for the memoirs (including all foreign markets). Then he will set off lecturing and the like, maybe do a couple of Netflix series, Love him or loathe him, he’s boffo

He could earn £15+ if you splice it all together
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    Leon said:

Quite bizarre

When the inevitable C4 drama of Johnson's time in Downing Street is made (working title: Panurge) Rishi could be played by Liz Carr in brownface.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Another keeper....
    It's not impossible. If he can weather the storm.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983
    Dura_Ace said:

Farooq said:

Dura_Ace said:

Can he get his US citizenship back? Could he run for something over there?
  • Options
    OllyT said:

I had an electrician in this morning sorting out my heaters
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Is it 1914 again or something?
    The lights are going out all over Europe. We won't see them lit again until electricity bills return to affordable levels.
This discussion has been closed.