Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Tories back as betting favourite in North Shropshire – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    What worries me most about the current situation is also future viruses

We had Sars, mers, bird flu etc...no one took precautions particularly and they died out and never affected people mostly. Now we have covid and panic.

What do people think is going to happen when another raises its head even though its more likely to be a do nothing it will fizzle than another covid?
  • Options
    PMQs is still listed for tomorrow.

https://whatson.parliament.uk/commons/2021-12-15/
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Carnyx said:

rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

This is encouraging.

Bugs across globe are evolving to eat plastic, study finds
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/dec/14/bugs-across-globe-are-evolving-to-eat-plastic-study-finds
    … “We found multiple lines of evidence supporting the fact that the global microbiome’s plastic-degrading potential correlates strongly with measurements of environmental plastic pollution – a significant demonstration of how the environment is responding to the pressures we are placing on it,” said Prof Aleksej Zelezniak, at Chalmers University of Technology in Sweden…

Time to dig out my copy of Mutant 59: The Plastic-Eater which I believe was a novelization from the early '70s BBC series Doomwatch.
    PLastic eating microbes also featured in The Andromeda Strain (the novel, anyway; dunno about the film)>
    I believe they ate rubber. And made people's blood solid.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,941
    edited December 2021
    Carnyx said:

rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

This is encouraging.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/dec/14/bugs-across-globe-are-evolving-to-eat-plastic-study-finds
    … “We found multiple lines of evidence supporting the fact that the global microbiome’s plastic-degrading potential correlates strongly with measurements of environmental plastic pollution – a significant demonstration of how the environment is responding to the pressures we are placing on it,” said Prof Aleksej Zelezniak, at Chalmers University of Technology in Sweden…

Time to dig out my copy of Mutant 59: The Plastic-Eater which I believe was a novelization from the early '70s BBC series Doomwatch.
    PLastic eating microbes also featured in The Andromeda Strain (the novel, anyway; dunno about the film)>
    Yep the microbe mutates so it is no longer lethal to humans but eats the seals at he lab. (Do I need to say I mean the plastic seals not the ones with flippers :) )
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,598
    moonshine said:

Scott_xP said:

Have to admire the fanbois desperate spin tonight.

After BoZo gets his ass handed to him, "Why isn't Starmer any better?"

Bravo lads.

You are a thick and partisan mug.

I wrote to my Mp this week imploring him to vote against the measures and then to send in his letter to the 1922. The third time I have asked him to do so in the last year. Despite being on Guido’s list he voted in favour.

It’s possible for me to recognise that both main leaders right now are a diabolical let down for this country.

Which MP?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,583
    rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

This is encouraging.

Unlikely, I think. :smile:
    Still, it does mean that much of this stuff is likely to biodegrade within a couple of centuries, rather than the tens of thousands of years everyone was talking about.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,706
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

@RochdalePioneers
    Any ideas where Duguid was today? Doesn't seem to have voted. Do you know whether he was paired, abstaining, hiding in a freezer?

English regulations, so not relevant to him? SNP seem to have abstained. But I didn't check all votes.
    I thought Conservatives often voted even on England only issues?
    I think they've improved a little bit to follow the (usually) shining example of the SNP, as in so much else. But it may also, as I note earlier, be to avoid taking sides within the Tories.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Andy_JS said:

moonshine said:

Scott_xP said:

Bravo lads.

I wrote to my Mp this week imploring him to vote against the measures and then to send in his letter to the 1922. The third time I have asked him to do so in the last year. Despite being on Guido’s list he voted in favour.

It’s possible for me to recognise that both main leaders right now are a diabolical let down for this country.

Which MP?
    I won’t embarrass him by saying so but a famous one.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,598
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

EXCLUSIVE: Extraordinary image shows 'raucous' Xmas party thrown by Tory aides in lockdown breach
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/extraordinary-image-shows-raucous-xmas-25699183

Tory parties seem a bit shit if I am honest....glad I don't get invited to any.
    Yes, after the promisingly dramatic headline, this was sadly bathetic.
    Some of the group are shown wearing paper hats while one is sporting a House of Commons Christmas jumper...
    It’s not ‘100 days of Sodom’ is it?

It’s some young people trying to have slightly forlorn fun in a terrible lonely plague. It won’t shift a vote, it might even backfire, mildly
    The problem is Keir Starmer thinks it will shift votes.
    It already has shifted the polls substantially.
    The Tories problems in the polls are entirely self-inflicted IMO. Nothing to do with Starmer.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Has the HOC gone into recess now

Thursday I think.
    I am fairly certain it is tonight
    You are right Big G.

The speaker announced last week.

Er no...

https://whatson.parliament.uk/commons/2021-12-16/
    Confusion reigns but looks like it is Thursday
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021

@Leon is right.

PartyGate was a far better story without the pictures.

As it is, the pictures make you pity the No. 10 staffers, not envy them.

What we thought was happening...

https://twitter.com/Queen_UK/status/1469025930718892033?s=20

What was happening....people doing a zoom quiz huddled behind Perspex screens drinking shitty booze and nibbles from Tescos Local.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Scott_xP said:

Bravo lads.

And Starmer had a golden opportunity tonight and he fluffed it
    You'd have been the first to accuse him of rampant political opportunism if he'd voted against what seem like sensible measures under the circumstances.
    Politics !!!!
    ??
    So right. It’s going to need Moon Rabbit to place all this into perspective.

I think PB hive mind have it wrong on this tonight. This is no big deal this rebellion. For one thing it should not be reported as vote against Boris or against covid restrictions, only the rather half baked passport rush in.

And With the public very much on side of the government, Sage with the government top scientists too, and the Labour Party onside, whoever is PM can bring in Plan C and D whenever they want over Christmas and New Year. If I am wrong on this, please explain how. But I can’t believe people here think otherwise. Sure the PM would have to recall Parliament early, but he’d easily win.

Now, same thing, change of thoughts. How would you have voted on covid passports yourself and why? I think it’s a good question myself. If I was sat as MP with the libdems tonight how would I have voted? yes there is a liberal and libertarian angle on covid passports. But how big? a big fuss here about Civil Liberties from the same back benches of this government with everything barking mad authoritarian they have been voting through and defending the last few months! LOLs

Maybe I would have voted against on liberal Principle. Except. If I was ambitious, the safe vote would have been to vote for it tonight. It’s not impossible delta, omicron and flu creak the NHS in coming weeks - soon as you have people dying due to they couldn’t be treated quickly enough, just simply that, that is not just toxic for government, As MP your voting record voting against Covid battling measures would be held against you too if the NHS creaks and people die in waiting ambulances etc etc, whilst if NHS doesn’t struggle to that extent, tonight’s vote is as gone as next springs fish and chip wrapper.

I’ve given it a lot of thought. Please Tell Jade your future Gen Z PM where wrong.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Andy_JS said:

moonshine said:

Scott_xP said:

Bravo lads.

Which MP?
    I won’t embarrass him by saying so but a famous one.
    In their own minds they are all famous !!!!
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Pagan2 said:

We had Sars, mers, bird flu etc...no one took precautions particularly and they died out and never affected people mostly. Now we have covid and panic.

What do people think is going to happen when another raises its head even though its more likely to be a do nothing it will fizzle than another covid?

A novel coronavirus at least once a decade, a swine or avian flu scare with a similar frequency.

This is it now for the rest of our lives.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,601
    Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

EXCLUSIVE: Extraordinary image shows 'raucous' Xmas party thrown by Tory aides in lockdown breach
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/extraordinary-image-shows-raucous-xmas-25699183

Some of the group are shown wearing paper hats while one is sporting a House of Commons Christmas jumper...

It’s some young people trying to have slightly forlorn fun in a terrible lonely plague. It won’t shift a vote, it might even backfire, mildly
    The problem is Keir Starmer thinks it will shift votes.
    It already has shifted the polls substantially.
    The Tories problems in the polls are entirely self-inflicted IMO. Nothing to do with Starmer.
    Not interfering while your opponents make mistakes. Very important. Starmer has played it well.

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

This is encouraging.

The rubber/plastic eating was a mutation from the original blood solidifying version.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Scott_xP said:

I trust they are keeping the one with Bozo in it until the end?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Scott_xP said:

A bleak winter for many restaurants ahead - the clamour for a bailout will be huge in the coming weeks. https://twitter.com/cheftomkerridge/status/1470840990130921474

Starmer could have made a bailout a condition of his votes tonight.

The "Opposition" leader didn't think it was worth opposing though. 🙄
    The other people who tend to chime in with the notion that the "opposition" should "oppose" are the thickest of the thick Corbynites.
    Even a broken clock can be right.

Had Starmer spent the last week saying "we support these restrictions in principle, but they'll have a damaging effect on hospitality so we can only vote them through if the government brings back these support measures" . . . then he could have forced the government into a damaging u-turn and won concessions.

No need to vote against for the sake of voting against, but at least extract a pound of flesh for giving the government your votes.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Pagan2 said:

The others didn't kill millions of people though did they? Or do you think Covid has been so deadly because of the measures taken to contain it?
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Scott_xP said:

Bravo lads.

You'd have been the first to accuse him of rampant political opportunism if he'd voted against what seem like sensible measures under the circumstances.
    Politics !!!!
    ??

I think PB hive mind have it wrong on this tonight. This is no big deal this rebellion. For one thing it should not be reported as vote against Boris or against covid restrictions, only the rather half baked passport rush in.

And With the public very much on side of the government, Sage with the government top scientists too, and the Labour Party onside, whoever is PM can bring in Plan C and D whenever they want over Christmas and New Year. If I am wrong on this, please explain how. But I can’t believe people here think otherwise. Sure the PM would have to recall Parliament early, but he’d easily win.

Now, same thing, change of thoughts. How would you have voted on covid passports yourself and why? I think it’s a good question myself. If I was sat as MP with the libdems tonight how would I have voted? yes there is a liberal and libertarian angle on covid passports. But how big? a big fuss here about Civil Liberties from the same back benches of this government with everything barking mad authoritarian they have been voting through and defending the last few months! LOLs

Maybe I would have voted against on liberal Principle. Except. If I was ambitious, the safe vote would have been to vote for it tonight. It’s not impossible delta, omicron and flu creak the NHS in coming weeks - soon as you have people dying due to they couldn’t be treated quickly enough, just simply that, that is not just toxic for government, As MP your voting record voting against Covid battling measures would be held against you too if the NHS creaks and people die in waiting ambulances etc etc, whilst if NHS doesn’t struggle to that extent, tonight’s vote is as gone as next springs fish and chip wrapper.

I’ve given it a lot of thought. Please Tell Jade your future Gen Z PM where wrong.
    Absolutely vote against for the simple reason vaxports will be a gateway drug leading to id cards, social credit scoring, nanny knows best cards. Let them in and before 2 decades have passed you will have to be showing them to buy a pint and may be declined as you already had your alcohol ration for the week and any more puts you in danger of stressing the nhs with liver failure.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

This is encouraging.

The rubber/plastic eating was a mutation from the original blood solidifying version.
    Thinking about the film version (I haven't read the book), I remember a pilot passing over the village and his rubber mask seal disintegrates and then he quickly dies.
    The "oh it's mutated and no longer harmful" device felt very, very, very lazy to me even as a child when I first saw it.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

This is encouraging.

Blood solidifying is pretty close to covid.
  • Options
    Starmer 9 points ahead and leading on most capable PM, Johnson as unpopular as Corbyn.

Starmer is crap! Useless opposition!
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

The others didn't kill millions of people though did they? Or do you think Covid has been so deadly because of the measures taken to contain it?
    My point exactly though....they didnt kill millions but what do you think will happen the next time one of them arrives a) politicians will wait and see or b) politicians will lock us all down in case its another covid?

My money is on b)
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,935
  • Options
    Shaun won't be getting another chance to lose against Khan then, how sad
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    63,405 new cases in France with hospitalisations averaging over 1000 per day.
  • Options

So, over 100 Tory backbenchers rebel against what (I assume) was a three-line Whip, in direct opposition to the instructions of their leader, the Prime Minister of the UK.

And this just goes to show how weak and pathetic Starmer, the LOTO, is.

Have I got that right?

I think it also conclusively proves that Die Hard is a Xmas movie.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Sunak abstaining is the story I think. Blimey
  • Options

So, over 100 Tory backbenchers rebel against what (I assume) was a three-line Whip, in direct opposition to the instructions of their leader, the Prime Minister of the UK.

Have I got that right?

Yes, that just about sums it up. It's a little tragic to see people reduced to that but it's all some people have. When you're so partisan that you can't vote for anyone else but you also hate "your" party, the only possible responses are to tune out or lash out in some farcical negative-sum game.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,706
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

My point exactly though....they didnt kill millions but what do you think will happen the next time one of them arrives a) politicians will wait and see or b) politicians will lock us all down in case its another covid?

My money is on b)
    https://www.scotsman.com/health/scotland-racks-ps55m-swine-flu-bill-2473151

IN 2009-10 the SG did the middle of the road and prepared for swine flu - and got complaints about it.
  • Options

@Leon is right.

What was happening....people doing a zoom quiz huddled behind Perspex screens drinking shitty booze and nibbles from Tescos Local.
    In reality very sad. But it’s perceptions matter in politics.

This is how nursery rhyme remember it in 500 yr time

Boris Johnson ruled inept,
    To the rules, never once he kept;
    On this old rogue comeuppance crept -
    As he soundly above his party, slept.

Then children sing Passports! Passports! and all fall down.

us iGenners can see well into the future.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Professor Quiz Whitty has to win best team name there.
  • Options
    Sunak abstained? Surely a mistake?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    Pagan2 said:

I said similar 18 months ago.

You may be interested in the article below about the Cult of Safety:

"Despite everything that Ulrich Beck wrote about these fears, the prospect of global catastrophe never generated the kind of generalised, unfocussed anxiety we see today."

and,

"the dominant objects of fear were threats to the whole community, fears which reinforced conformity."

The thing is - the article was written in 2005!

https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/works/cult-safety.htm
  • Options

@Leon is right.

The Zoom Quiz was the 15th Dec, the party on the 18th wasn't it? Different occasions, and rumours of more...
  • Options
    CCHQ keen to stress tonight that this was an unauthorised event which was organised by Shaun Bailey's campaign and not by the Conservative Party itself.

3 staff were disciplined. The first CCHQ knew of the photo was when it emerged this evening.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1470863849519734786
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

My money is on b)
    Ah I see what you mean. Well who knows - there may be some overreaction, it's human nature.

What do you suggest?
  • Options
    edited December 2021

@Leon is right.

In reality very sad. But it’s perceptions matter in politics.

This is how nursery rhyme remember it in 500 yr time

Boris Johnson ruled inept,
    To the rules, never once he kept;
    On this old rogue comeuppance crept -
    As he soundly above his party, slept.

Then children sing Passports! Passports! and all fall down.

us iGenners can see well into the future.
    Its just not perception. With something like this you have to ensure if you are making such rules you better be sticking to them 100%.

Putting aside the as yet unknown how sad main party, having a zoom quiz while a bit pathetic, I think a lot of the public will be asking, 1) that's against the rules and 2) wasn't there rather a lot of work that needed doing rather than dicking about having quizzes.
  • Options
    We're leading up to the big hitters of the Tories being found to have done naughty things, this story is going to run and run
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

This is encouraging.

Blood solidifying is pretty close to covid.
    I recommend we do not try to use a nuclear warhead to cure it
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Foxy said:

@Leon is right.

The Zoom Quiz was the 15th Dec, the party on the 18th wasn't it? Different occasions, and rumours of more...
    Show us what you got time. Rumours, schmumours.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

expect to see this image on a thousand opposition leaflets in the coming months
    https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1470855685416103950/photo/1

There's nobody there that we know, though. This is really thin stuff.
    Any future political careers they may have been hoping for, though, have just disappeared.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Foxy said:

@Leon is right.

Yes I know....it was a joke.....
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

Looks like an utterly shit party.

But it was illegal, so that must have added a little excitement.

Like sipping a shandy in a prohibition speak-easy.
  • Options

We're leading up to the big hitters of the Tories being found to have done naughty things, this story is going to run and run

So fucking get on with it. This is soooo dickless.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    I'm not going to get truly outraged about this Downing Street quiz until we find out what the questions were!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

The buffet looks particularly limp....
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,981
    Pulpstar said:

Not sure about that. He was paired with Rachel presumably? She is poorly with covid. It would have been ungentlemanly and dishonourable to do otherwise I think.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,173
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Boris will be deposed if he tries to implement lockdown. Well done actual Tories. You've ended the tyranny of unelected experts.

He's also fucked if he's seen to personally break any restriction from now on.
    Nobody in authority seems to have minded so far. Why would that change?
    Because his authority and popularity have drained away.
    I am convinced neither of those assertions are correct in the medium term. It may look that way now, but by the middle of January?
    For that to happen Boris needs a very good winter.

Which means a minimal hit to the UK while European countries get hammered by Delta and Omicron.

Its possible though that does lead to many Conservative MPs then thinking that new restrictions were unnecessary.
    Several of the PB Tory Brains Trust have assured me that Omicron is mild and a Delta killer. I hope they are right. Although even if they are correct my biggest fear is that the NHS still falls over under the strain. This is why Johnson is right today and Johnny Public is right behind him.
    There is some interesting data from South Africas biggest insurer in this twitter thread. Decent data rather than anecdata:

https://twitter.com/miamalan/status/1470684351151157252?t=lXJ6l4hEFLN-sLFuHgX_ew&s=19

This slide shows that there is 29% reduction in risk of admission compared to the original version. Somewhat better, but not great. There is stuff on Pfizer double vax giving 70% protection, so respectable efficacy.

Thanks for that. It contextualises some of the data that some PB posters have interpreted in a particular way.

I am assuming today's vote was as much in panic at the prospect of the NHS being overwhelmed in the next month as much as anything else. Will it hold up?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Any future political careers they may have been hoping for, though, have just disappeared.
    And some not-much-future-careers too!
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

My money is on b)
    Ah I see what you mean. Well who knows - there may be some overreaction, it's human nature.

What do you suggest?
    I suggest we tell them where to go till it is apparent there actually is a problem. My fear isnt only about politicians reactions but also the medical profession, scientists and a fair chunk of the general public. I am pretty sure within 2 years someone will shout the sky is falling because we have a new virus.....chances are it probably isnt
  • Options
    Re Sunak, anything to do with Reeves self isolating? It’s not “pairing” technically because she was presumably a vote for?
  • Options
    It was awfully early as I mentioned, to be saying how good Omicron was.

Just like Delta, I fear things will turn out badly for us, I am afraid
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Pagan2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Bravo lads.

Politics !!!!
    ??

Absolutely vote against for the simple reason vaxports will be a gateway drug leading to id cards, social credit scoring, nanny knows best cards. Let them in and before 2 decades have passed you will have to be showing them to buy a pint and may be declined as you already had your alcohol ration for the week and any more puts you in danger of stressing the nhs with liver failure.
    LOL that is very funny.

But seriously, parliaments drawing lines of liberty in smartest happiest place is serious business and as I highlight above, if ambitious politician would I play safe, and vote differently if not ambitious.
  • Options

Have I got that right?

Yes.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Don't see it making any odds whatever.
  • Options
    I've been pondering Streeting's speech today.

1) He was asking MPs to imagine a NHS worker who was feeling scared about working alongside her unvaccinated work colleague. And he then went on to talk about if an unvaccinated NHS worker infected a patient how would the relative of that patient feel. I'm very unhappy about the way that unvaccinated people are being thought of in this way - as second class citizens - as though they are a stale fart.

2) Streeting then made it very clear that he and the LP would not support mandatory vaccination.

So putting 1) and 2) together he is saying that he doesn't think it should be a legal requirement to be vaccinated but on the other hand he feels free to riff about a large cohort who have decided, perfectly legally, to make a particular choice.

No liberal should defend Streeting's position on this.
  • Options

Sunak abstained? Surely a mistake?

Again, Rachel Reeves is unwell. He’s her pair I think so voting would be ungentlemanly conduct.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Scott_xP said:

CCHQ keen to stress tonight that this was an unauthorised event which was organised by Shaun Bailey's campaign and not by the Conservative Party itself.

3 staff were disciplined. The first CCHQ knew of the photo was when it emerged this evening.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1470863849519734786

So 3 staff were disciplined. But CCHQ never realised there were photos too.

Makes it sound as if it would have been fine if no one had taken a photo.

What did they discipline the staff for, if they didn't know about the parties?
  • Options

RobD said:

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1470855418243162113

BoJo next, honestly how stupid can you be?

Do you have any proof of this, or just hoping?
    I don't have proof but Pippar has been teasing it for over a week
    Can you give us an example?
    No he cannot
    If you check out most of Pippa Crear's tweets from the last ten days she has hinted throughout that she knows more. Don't shoot the Correct Horse Battery messenger!
  • Options

Re Sunak, anything to do with Reeves self isolating? It’s not “pairing” technically because she was presumably a vote for?

If she abstains, he has to abstain. To do otherwise would be ungentlemanly to his opponent surely?
  • Options

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

One of the guys is looking at it side on with a vaguely terrified look whilst almost trying to smile.

This has the ring of a party whose idea was someone near the top of management for "team building" and no one under the age of 30 wanted to go.

It's like an outtake from The Office.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    edited December 2021
    Covid madness update... went swimming today. A woman was actually wearing a mask whilst swimming. Then she wore it in the sauna as well.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

I trust they are keeping the one with Bozo in it until the end?
    define end
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,178

Are we? I think your hope is clouding your judgement.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Some good names there.

Hands, Face, First Place and Cheeses of Nazareth have to be the best IMHO.
  • Options

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Boris will be deposed if he tries to implement lockdown. Well done actual Tories. You've ended the tyranny of unelected experts.

He's also fucked if he's seen to personally break any restriction from now on.
    Nobody in authority seems to have minded so far. Why would that change?
    Because his authority and popularity have drained away.
    I am convinced neither of those assertions are correct in the medium term. It may look that way now, but by the middle of January?
    For that to happen Boris needs a very good winter.

Which means a minimal hit to the UK while European countries get hammered by Delta and Omicron.

Its possible though that does lead to many Conservative MPs then thinking that new restrictions were unnecessary.
    Several of the PB Tory Brains Trust have assured me that Omicron is mild and a Delta killer. I hope they are right. Although even if they are correct my biggest fear is that the NHS still falls over under the strain. This is why Johnson is right today and Johnny Public is right behind him.
    There is some interesting data from South Africas biggest insurer in this twitter thread. Decent data rather than anecdata:

https://twitter.com/miamalan/status/1470684351151157252?t=lXJ6l4hEFLN-sLFuHgX_ew&s=19

This slide shows that there is 29% reduction in risk of admission compared to the original version. Somewhat better, but not great. There is stuff on Pfizer double vax giving 70% protection, so respectable efficacy.

Thanks for that. It contextualises some of the data that some PB posters have interpreted in a particular way.

I am assuming today's vote was as much in panic at the prospect of the NHS being overwhelmed in the next month as much as anything else. Will it hold up?
    Numbers of covid inpatients in my Trust are just over 100. It's been 80-120 since September, I think. About 15% in ICU, nearly all unvaxxed.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Covid madness update... went swimming today. A woman was actually wearing a mask whilst swimming. Then she wore it in the sauna as well.

Was she wearing it where her bikini should be?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

Pulpstar said:

Not sure about that. He was paired with Rachel presumably? She is poorly with covid. It would have been ungentlemanly and dishonourable to do otherwise I think.
    Reeves would be following the Labour whip ! You can't pair with your own side
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

When you say "us" do you mean humans in general, or the UK/England?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287

Scott_xP said:

Some good names there.

Rebels without a Claus.
  • Options
    If Whitty and LSHTM's wild modelling predictions don't come to pass in New Year then surely Johnson is finally done?

Almost half his backbench voted to stop this wild lurch to panic.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

But they've got vaccine passports, masks and all the rest of it! You must be mistaken. These measures are assured to eliminate COVID, the French are just trying to make Boris look bad.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

But they've got vaccine passports, masks and all the rest of it! You must be mistaken. These measures are assured to eliminate COVID, the French are just trying to make Boris look bad.
    Moron
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Scott_xP said:

Some good names there.

Professor Quiz Whitty is my fav.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

One of the guys is looking at it side on with a vaguely terrified look whilst almost trying to smile.

This has the ring of a party whose idea was someone near the top of management for "team building" and no one under the age of 30 wanted to go.

It's like an outtake from The Office.
    I am becoming convinced two things went on....

1) The bosses thought having zoom quiz nights, silly awards and some drinks would be great for morale of those working hard. And of course the young staffers never wanted to be there, but there were drinks.

2) The staffers got into a culture of drinkie poos after "work" because pubs were shut and the bosses turned a blind eye.

I am not convinced any of these "parties" were wild drugs and sex jobbies.

But clearly nobody thought this will look absolutely shocking if it gets out, oh and the bloke over there in the cabinet office is married to a leading national journalist....I am sure that won't be an issue.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

This is encouraging.

Not encouraging if you’ve had plastic surgery? 😱
  • Options

Sit tight Horse. Statistical probability suggests most of us will be fine.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I meant some here
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,178
    edited December 2021

RobD said:

No he cannot
    If you check out most of Pippa Crear's tweets from the last ten days she has hinted throughout that she knows more. Don't shoot the Correct Horse Battery messenger!
    Knows more does not equal a photo of ‘Johnson snorting coke off Rishi Sunaks naked arse’ though does it? If they’ve got photos better than the pathetic zoom quiz, show it. I don’t believe they do.
  • Options

RobD said:

No he cannot
    If tonight's Bailey is one of them it is not a smoking gun

The demise of Boris premiership will not be over partygate but his loss of confidence by 180 of his mps

When and only then will time be called no matter how much we may want it to be different
  • Options
    Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Moron
    +1
  • Options

If Whitty and LSHTM's wild modelling predictions don't come to pass in New Year then surely Johnson is finally done?

Almost half his backbench voted to stop this wild lurch to panic.

New Year...I believe according to the HSA model we will have all had COVID by tomorrow....
  • Options
    It's a funny old world. Eden rides high in 1955, obliterated in 1956. Wilson landslide in 1966, reputation blown to bits in 1967. Callaghan looks a winner in 1978, destroyed by the winter of 1978-79. Thatcher at her peak in 1987-88, humiliated in 1990. Funny old world.
    https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1470854952625086464
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Some good names there.

I would prefer: "I fought the law, and the law won"

But I think that is a bit hopeful given that Cressida's MET have announced they don't investigate crimes from a year ago.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

tlg86 said:

I meant some here
    ??

I don't see that Delta has made much difference. There was an issue to begin with in that it came just before we'd got through the second doses, but once we'd done that it was fine.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Moron
    No need to be rude mate
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Stocky said:

darkage said:

Was she wearing it where her bikini should be?
    Naturist night where all they wear is masks 😷 This is so bloody funny
  • Options

Nigelb said:

This is encouraging.

Not encouraging if you’ve had plastic surgery? 😱
    Have you? :)
  • Options

RobD said:

No he cannot
    Lol, very creative thanks Pete
  • Options
    I am alone in being incandescent over that photo of the party.

No doubt some people on the very same day were cremating their loved ones via Zoom.

:angry:

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,605

Scott_xP said:

Professor Quiz Whitty has to win best team name there.
    Beaver Fever is the one that has me intrigued.

Either hinting at the true origin of Covid or Bozo has been spreading an STD round the office.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Apparently masks alone should mean just 2,000 cases per day since that's what we had in May.

The fact that it was illegal to go into other people's homes, restaurants were shut by law indoors etc isn't relevant. Its all the mask.
  • Options

RobD said:

No he cannot
    If tonight's Bailey is one of them it is not a smoking gun

The demise of Boris premiership will not be over partygate but his loss of confidence by 180 of his mps

When and only then will time be called no matter how much we may want it to be different
    ... unless Boris is in one of the Mirror's party snaps!