Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A fortnight on – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084

I think the police should round up the rioters and deport them to Rwanda. There is an irony that will be lost on them but not those of us with brain cells

It does not really matter whether rioters are deported to Rwanda or have their bottoms smacked with pepper spray as Leon advocates.

The important thing is something, starting with arrest, happens quickly. There is the same problem as with shoplifters, phone thieves and billion pound Covid fraudsters. Because arrest is delayed, then followed by release on bail, there are no apparent consequences for bad behaviour by oneself or peers.

It is the downside of the police tactic of letting riots burn themselves out and following up from cctv evidence over the next few months. Of course it would be even worse to return to the old days of pitched battles in the street but the follow-up should be immediate. Identification from video should proceed in real time, not over the next few weeks, overtime permitting.

Speed matters. Immediacy counts.
    edited August 4
    Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

I think the police should round up the rioters and deport them to Rwanda. There is an irony that will be lost on them but not those of us with brain cells

Whatever happened to punishment such as the Stocks and the Pillory? Does anyone know if there are nations still with such punishments?
    We could bring back water cannon. Most of them look like they haven't seen a flannel in weeks.
    NI is the only part of the UK where water cannon can be used legally.
    Didn't Mr Johnson buy some for London?
    And Theresa May duly pointed out that Boris's second hand water cannons were illegal.

Nunu5 said:

Nunu5 said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

No one is listening to my legitimate concerns about why I'm not first.
    Am only asking questions.

The striking thing is not Farage exploiting this with his “legitimate questions” it’s his absence from the debate. He’s made one 90 second speech that I can see

This is what makes me think Reform might simply melt into the Tories at the next GE. Farage does not have the heart. He doesn’t really want to be MP for Clacton. He doesn’t want to spend his last vital years as some firebrand demagogue who doesn’t change much and gets a lot of grief

He’s 60? I reckon he might bow out in a year or two and claim he steered the Tories in a more reform-y direction. And without Farage reform are nothing

That should be a source of solace for the Tories. But my god they need to seize the opportunity
    Farage has said he's on a 7 year (afaicr) mission to create a movement in politics that gets into Government and then presumably implements the desired policies on migration etc. I see no reason to disbelieve that he wants to do that without new information.
    Farage says many things.

They are not about making a better Britain.

They are about Farage.
    It will be interesting to see how he distances himself from the Farascists who tried to kill brown people today
    'Farascists'

Ha. I like that.

I don't think Farage is a fascist, but I do think he's willing to use people who are fascist-leaning towards propelling himself forwards.
    If you are willing to use fascists then you yourself just might be a fascist.
    The difference being that he would also use Communists if it suited his ends. He makes his living from getting idiots riled up; and it just so happens he uses the right instead of the left. The only core ideology in the shit he showers over the country is : "FARAGE!"
    Nope. He purposely sews division between races. He's no lefty and never has been. I don't believe for one second it's all about narcissism with him. It's deeper.
    I disagree. He's not a fool, and he knows which section of society he can best manipulate.

What makes you think it's not about narcissism? It's certainly not about helping the people of Clacton, is it, given the amount of time he spends there? You know, the job he's been elected to do, and is paid to do.

Farage is about Farage.
    The stupid thing about Clacton is that Farage does not need to go there. He just needs to set up an office staffed by case workers.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    carnforth said:

A public condemnation from Boris wouldn't go amiss. Doubt it would get through to the violent types, but it might help a little with the rest.

It wouldn’t make the slightest difference. You might as well ask the late Cilla Black
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

The striking thing is not Farage exploiting this with his “legitimate questions” it’s his absence from the debate. He’s made one 90 second speech that I can see

This is what makes me think Reform might simply melt into the Tories at the next GE. Farage does not have the heart. He doesn’t really want to be MP for Clacton. He doesn’t want to spend his last vital years as some firebrand demagogue who doesn’t change much and gets a lot of grief

He’s 60? I reckon he might bow out in a year or two and claim he steered the Tories in a more reform-y direction. And without Farage reform are nothing

That should be a source of solace for the Tories. But my god they need to seize the opportunity
    Farage has said he's on a 7 year (afaicr) mission to create a movement in politics that gets into Government and then presumably implements the desired policies on migration etc. I see no reason to disbelieve that he wants to do that without new information.
    I just don’t see it in his face. No hunger for power or the immense hard work involved in doing what you say

He’s already kind of “won”. He made a mockery of his critics by becoming an MP. Reforms large vote probably will influence the Tory leadership election

He can quasi-retire as one of the most significant British politicians of the 21st century. That’s what I predict

He will then become a kind of told-you-so elder statesman
    It's hard in a FPTP world to turn votes into seats. And doing it efficiently has (historically) required a lot of "ground game" to ensure that the votes are in the right places. There's no point - as the Alliance in 1983 or Reform in 2015 showed - in getting a significant chunk of the vote, if it's very evenly distributed around the country.

Reform needs a young leader, who is extremely organized and not unafraid of hard work: a sort of Marine Le Pen character, who is not afraid to roll her sleeves up, do the policy work, and get the local municipalities and mayors under the belt.

I don't think Farage is that person. I can see him getting lots of limelight, and attracting a fair number of votes... but breaking through is hard... and hard work. Farage does not have the advantage of taking over a political party with volunteers, money, a brand and thousands of local councillors who are willing to hit the streets.

If - however - a younger leader were to emerge (and Farage is no spring chicken of course), then things could look very different very fast.
    Farage has always seemed pretty uninterested in obtaining power, which is probably the most convincing argument against him being any kind of fascist.
    Yes he likes attention and influence. Not “power” - which is hard yakka. And as for actual governance - Lord no

As @rcs1000 says the big change might come if Reform find a young charismatic new leader. I have wondered if Matt Goodwin could do it - he’s a persuasive speaker and he’s smart

If that happens they could break through. But I don’t believe it will and I reckon reform will fade and merge with the Tories de facto or de jure
    I used to have a colleague who was a bit like Farage: not in terms of political opinions, but in what he wanted. His biggest desire was to have an easy life, and for others to say "look, there goes [x], he's something really big in the City." He wanted to be seen as important.

And I think our Nige is a bit like that: he loves swanning around, hanging out with his successful friends, drinking lots of beer, and being lauded.

Unfortunately for Reform, that isn't a route to electoral success.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,649

It does not really matter whether rioters are deported to Rwanda or have their bottoms smacked with pepper spray as Leon advocates.

The important thing is something, starting with arrest, happens quickly. There is the same problem as with shoplifters, phone thieves and billion pound Covid fraudsters. Because arrest is delayed, then followed by release on bail, there are no apparent consequences for bad behaviour by oneself or peers.

It is the downside of the police tactic of letting riots burn themselves out and following up from cctv evidence over the next few months. Of course it would be even worse to return to the old days of pitched battles in the street but the follow-up should be immediate. Identification from video should proceed in real time, not over the next few weeks, overtime permitting.

I’m a social democrat, a member of the Liberal Democrat’s. So I’m in favour of free speech. But there are rules - you can’t shout fire in a crowded room.

TwiX and TikTok especially are the platforms used to broadcast lies, livestream violence and torment hate. I can switch off the internet for my kids. Can we switch off TikTok in these places as it all starts kicking off? To at least stop them from glorifying more moronic violence?
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

I just don’t see it in his face. No hunger for power or the immense hard work involved in doing what you say

He’s already kind of “won”. He made a mockery of his critics by becoming an MP. Reforms large vote probably will influence the Tory leadership election

He can quasi-retire as one of the most significant British politicians of the 21st century. That’s what I predict

He will then become a kind of told-you-so elder statesman
    It's hard in a FPTP world to turn votes into seats. And doing it efficiently has (historically) required a lot of "ground game" to ensure that the votes are in the right places. There's no point - as the Alliance in 1983 or Reform in 2015 showed - in getting a significant chunk of the vote, if it's very evenly distributed around the country.

Reform needs a young leader, who is extremely organized and not unafraid of hard work: a sort of Marine Le Pen character, who is not afraid to roll her sleeves up, do the policy work, and get the local municipalities and mayors under the belt.

I don't think Farage is that person. I can see him getting lots of limelight, and attracting a fair number of votes... but breaking through is hard... and hard work. Farage does not have the advantage of taking over a political party with volunteers, money, a brand and thousands of local councillors who are willing to hit the streets.

If - however - a younger leader were to emerge (and Farage is no spring chicken of course), then things could look very different very fast.
    Farage has always seemed pretty uninterested in obtaining power, which is probably the most convincing argument against him being any kind of fascist.
    Yes he likes attention and influence. Not “power” - which is hard yakka. And as for actual governance - Lord no

As @rcs1000 says the big change might come if Reform find a young charismatic new leader. I have wondered if Matt Goodwin could do it - he’s a persuasive speaker and he’s smart

If that happens they could break through. But I don’t believe it will and I reckon reform will fade and merge with the Tories de facto or de jure
    I used to have a colleague who was a bit like Farage: not in terms of political opinions, but in what he wanted. His biggest desire was to have an easy life, and for others to say "look, there goes [x], he's something really big in the City." He wanted to be seen as important.

And I think our Nige is a bit like that: he loves swanning around, hanging out with his successful friends, drinking lots of beer, and being lauded.

Unfortunately for Reform, that isn't a route to electoral success.
    Yes. And tbf to him he really HAS been important. Globally. No Farage = no Brexit

He substantively altered world history. The temptation to retire from the fray - having also proved he can win at Westminster - must be immense. 60 years old. Make a few million from his memoirs. Etc. Or do surgeries about dog poo in Clacton?

Also I get the sense he REALLY doesn’t want to be associated with the racist rioting thugs. Career and social suicide
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

A public condemnation from Boris wouldn't go amiss. Doubt it would get through to the violent types, but it might help a little with the rest.

It wouldn’t make the slightest difference. You might as well ask the late Cilla Black
    CILLA'S DEAD???
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,687

I’m a social democrat, a member of the Liberal Democrat’s. So I’m in favour of free speech. But there are rules - you can’t shout fire in a crowded room.

TwiX and TikTok especially are the platforms used to broadcast lies, livestream violence and torment hate. I can switch off the internet for my kids. Can we switch off TikTok in these places as it all starts kicking off? To at least stop them from glorifying more moronic violence?
    In amongst all these horrific scenes we're seeing online, one thing I read in the Guardian this morning stands out the most to me.

A quote from someone at Hope Not Hate pointing out that there were no significant numbers at any far-right demonstrations in the UK in between Tommy Robinson getting banned off Twitter in March 2018, and him being reinstated in November last year.

People are being radicalised by social media, where as you say, free speech is less classically liberal and more encouraging people to shout 'fire' in a crowded theatre. Add that to the filter bubbles you get through algorithmic content that pushes more and more extreme content into people's feeds, and we are where we are today.
    kyf_100 said:

In amongst all these horrific scenes we're seeing online, one thing I read in the Guardian this morning stands out the most to me.

A quote from someone at Hope Not Hate pointing out that there were no significant numbers at any far-right demonstrations in the UK in between Tommy Robinson getting banned off Twitter in March 2018, and him being reinstated in November last year.

People are being radicalised by social media, where as you say, free speech is less classically liberal and more encouraging people to shout 'fire' in a crowded theatre. Add that to the filter bubbles you get through algorithmic content that pushes more and more extreme content into people's feeds, and we are where we are today.
    I think the problem is two-fold:

1. The consequences for lying in cyberspace are essentially zero.
    2. In their search for "engagement", people get served ever more contraversial content. Twitter's algorithms want you riled up, because then you're engaged and posting and ranting.

I don't want a world where free speech is restricted. But I do want a world where there are consequences for lying, especially if those lies result in real harm being done to real people.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,357
    edited August 4
    kyf_100 said:

That isn't true about Robinson and ban and no gatherings. See 2020. The save our statues / anti lockdown ones had large attendances. He has also got significant crowds for his dodgy documentaries. He didn't go away, he changed his grift.

When he was banned from twitter he simply built a following on Telegram.
    God why can’t have France have decent food? It would be the perfect country then

This is my view. There are loads of views like this in Béziers

Exquisite. But I’m hungry and the food choices are: mediocre pizza, desperately bad noodles, or overpriced “french” food which is obviously frozen and dished out to silly tourists or locals who’ve given up looking for anything better
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954

Nunu5 said:

Nunu5 said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Farage says many things.

They are about Farage.
    It will be interesting to see how he distances himself from the Farascists who tried to kill brown people today
    'Farascists'

Ha. I like that.

I don't think Farage is a fascist, but I do think he's willing to use people who are fascist-leaning towards propelling himself forwards.
    The difference being that he would also use Communists if it suited his ends. He makes his living from getting idiots riled up; and it just so happens he uses the right instead of the left. The only core ideology in the shit he showers over the country is : "FARAGE!"
    Nope. He purposely sews division between races. He's no lefty and never has been. I don't believe for one second it's all about narcissism with him. It's deeper.
    I disagree. He's not a fool, and he knows which section of society he can best manipulate.

What makes you think it's not about narcissism? It's certainly not about helping the people of Clacton, is it, given the amount of time he spends there? You know, the job he's been elected to do, and is paid to do.

Farage is about Farage.
    Because before leave he was campaigning with minor parties on the issue of the EU long before it became popular
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,469
    Stand Up To Racism
    @AntiRacismDay
    ·
    7m
    Anti-fascists: 450, fascists: 7

Cardiff delivers for the second day running!
    edited August 4
    rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

2. In their search for "engagement", people get served ever more contraversial content. Twitter's algorithms want you riled up, because then you're engaged and posting and ranting.

I don't want a world where free speech is restricted. But I do want a world where there are consequences for lying, especially if those lies result in real harm being done to real people.
    A more accurate for point 1, is if you have little to lose & a nobody, then little to mo consequences. If you are rich, you will be sued, Fox, Barton, Hopkins Bercow.

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

A more accurate for point 1, is if you have little to lose & a nobody, then little to mo consequences. If you are rich, you will be sued, Fox, Barton, Hopkins Bercow.
    Only if you are publicly identifiable: for many of the posters on the internet, there is essentially no way to identify them.

Take @Leon for example. Who is he or she? Does anybody real know anything about them? Are they a team or a single person?
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,272
    carnforth said:

BUT isn't BoJo still busy, trying to close some kind of deal with Vicent Maduro?
  • Tim_in_RuislipTim_in_Ruislip Posts: 401
    edited August 4
    @albieamankona via @davidherdson on twitter;

--

I won’t mince my words, as frankly, I am furious. I have been proud of how effectively fellow
    @Conservatives have called out anti-Semitism since October 7th.

However, I am extremely disappointed, albeit unsurprised, that these same individuals are unable to denounce far-right racist bigotry and violence with the same fervour.

Top Tories like @SuellaBraverman, @KemiBadenoch, @pritipatel, @JamesCleverly, @RishiSunak, @RobertJenrick, @MelJStride, and @TomTugendhat often tout our party as a model for the success of multiracial Britain when it suits them. And it is.

Yet, when it comes to confronting the racists attempting to undermine our multiracial democracy, it becomes politically inconvenient to call it out for what it is.

The Overton window has shifted so far that labelling racists as “racist” is now deemed too “woke” to risk the blowback! Let me tell you, it is right, not woke, to condemn the racists in our midst.

It is perfectly legitimate to say:

“immigration is too high and that some communities have not done enough to integrate.”

Whilst at the same time saying:

“the racist thugs attacking civilians, places of worship, and public and private buildings should feel the full force of the law, including any breaches of anti-discrimination legislation.”

And: “racists have no place in our society or in our party, and rioters have gone much further in these riots than expressing legitimate concern.”

I will remind you that if you follow the logic that these rioters have legitimate concerns, they are rioting against OUR IMMIGRATION AND INTEGRATION POLICIES.

You are weak, not “anti-woke,” for taking a strong stance on anti-Semitism since October 7th while remaining passive on the other forms of racial discrimination we've witnessed this week.

I believe you are all better than this. Yes, Suella, even you! Prove it.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799

Journalists don't seem to get that there is a lot more to social media than Twitter, TikTok, and Instagram. A couple of weeks ago they discovered Discord because of the Trump assassination attempt, now they seem to have found that Telegram exists.

It makes me laugh listening to politicians and pundits talking about holding Facebook to account. Facebook/Meta probably does a better job than any other social media platform of moderating content. That's not the place to worry about.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,256
    carnforth said:

You mean the bloke who introduced an immigration system which led to net migration of 750,000 under his watch? If any of the thugs - if they bothered voting at all - voted for him in 2019, they undoubtedly despise him now.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605
    edited August 4

During the riots after drug dealer Mark ‘Hacksaw Jim’ Duggan was killed politicians demanded that peoples Blackberries were deactivated 😂😂😂

Meaningless gestures making old people feel relevant. The sort of thing advocate in places like China and Iran. How do you even know TikTok is a problem here ? The old media loves putting the boot into the new media so I wouldn’t trust them to report it fairly.
  • Tim_in_RuislipTim_in_Ruislip Posts: 401
    edited August 4

carnforth said:

You mean the bloke who introduced an immigration system which led to net migration of 750,000 under his watch? If any of the thugs - if they bothered voting at all - voted for him in 2019, they undoubtedly despise him now.
    The man is a coward.

As I posted on Friday night, he needed then, and definitely needs now, to use his rhetorical skill and influence at the fringes to defuse tensions.

I suggested a simple;

"Respect the victims, Support the police, Go home" formulation.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,571
    Is there a market on how long it will be before Labour is behind in any poll to the Tories.?
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,687

kyf_100 said:

That isn't true about Robinson and ban and no gatherings. See 2020. The save our statues / anti lockdown ones had large attendances. He has also got significant crowds for his dodgy documentaries. He didn't go away, he changed his grift.

“We hadn’t seen any significant numbers at any demonstrations since 2018,” is the exact quote from the hope not hate guy. I believe the save our statues type protests attracted an order of magnitude fewer than showed up in London for Tommy's parade last weekend. And while the anti-lockdown protests might have been riddled with conspiracy theorists and weirdos, being anti-lockdown isn't in itself Islamophobic or anti-immigration, so I don't think it counts.

And sure, while things can move onto discord and telegram, they're also an order of magnitude smaller than sites like Twitter and TikTok, which are more shareable and have fewer barriers to entry. I don't need to be on TwiX for you to share a link to a video of people rioting, for example. Nor are they algorithmic, pushing content into people's feeds who haven't explicitly signed up for them. Compare that to Twitter's dire "for you" algo that seems designed to bifurcate and spread disinformation.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    "Tory commissioner who appeared to justify far-right riots puts Tommy Robinson-backed statement back online

As rioters occupied migrant hotel in Rotherham, Hampshire Tory police and crime commissioner Donna Jones put a statement on far-right riots supported by Tommy Robinson back on her official website"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-pcc-donna-jones-far-right-riots-b2590977.html
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676
    Scott_xP said:

But again, that seems like classic political manipulation - are you on the side of brick throwers, or do you want to be one of the good, nice people*.

*which means never complaining about migration or whether it's having a negative affect on your life or community again.

Fuck no

"are you on the side of brick throwers, or do you want to be one of the good, nice people"

Everybody should know the right answer to that

"which means never complaining about migration or whether it's having a negative affect on your life or community again"

Bollocks

You can complain, you can vote. We just had an election. The racists didn't win.

What you can't do is attempt murder.

This is not complicated.
    The majority of those protesting have not been committing crimes. Your statements, and SKS's statements, happily lump them all in with those who have. Something I must have missed you doing when other protests that you were more aligned with politically turned to violence.
  • KnightOutKnightOut Posts: 115

Omnium said:

Whatever happened to punishment such as the Stocks and the Pillory? Does anyone know if there are nations still with such punishments?
    We could bring back water cannon. Most of them look like they haven't seen a flannel in weeks.
    They should use water cannons on people who use 'water cannon' as the pluralar form.

Water cannons, water cannons, some water cannons, a water cannon, 83 water cannons.

I feel quite strongly about this. Also that one can roll a single dice.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,256

kyf_100 said:

Just jail the f*cker for good, like we did with Choudary, and be done with it.
  • DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 1,127

Scott_xP said:

But again, that seems like classic political manipulation - are you on the side of brick throwers, or do you want to be one of the good, nice people*.

*which means never complaining about migration or whether it's having a negative affect on your life or community again.

Fuck no

"are you on the side of brick throwers, or do you want to be one of the good, nice people"

"which means never complaining about migration or whether it's having a negative affect on your life or community again"

Bollocks

You can complain, you can vote. We just had an election. The racists didn't win.

This is not complicated.
    The majority of those protesting have not been committing crimes. Your statements, and SKS's statements, happily lump them all in with those who have. Something I must have missed you doing when other protests that you were more aligned with politically turned to violence.
    The majority should be stopping the minority committing crimes. All demonstrations that I've been on have had stewards that work with police to ensure as much as possible that no troublemakers latch on and use the majority to cover their criminality. Where's the stewardship of these demonstrations?

• viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

CILLA'S DEAD???
    Surprise, surprise! 😊
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731

Scott_xP said:

Fuck no

Bollocks

This is not complicated.
    Yes, but only those committing alleged crimes are being arrested and charged.

There were around a dozen or so EDL types in Leicester, and about 200 counter protesters, but only 2 arrests.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    Nunu5 said:

Nunu5 said:

Nunu5 said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Farage says many things.

They are about Farage.
    'Farascists'

Ha. I like that.

Farage is about Farage.
    Because before leave he was campaigning with minor parties on the issue of the EU long before it became popular
    That's the way to do it if you are canny/immoral: you can either try to be a big fish in a big pond and join an established party, or become the biggest fish in a small pond, and try to fill that pond.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    KnightOut said:

Omnium said:

They should use water cannons on people who use 'water cannon' as the pluralar form.

Water cannons, water cannons, some water cannons, a water cannon, 83 water cannons.

Dice, dice, some dice, a die, 83 dice!
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,279

felix said:

I've 2 close Spanish friends - one from the left IU and the other centre left. Both gave identical reactions to the Southport murders. If the perpetrator was not a citizen they should be kicked out of the country. Both also have zero tolerance for immigrants who don't work and who live on benefits. To me and them, their reactions were simple common sense views which would be shared by many across the political spectrum. Yet on here they could easily be labelled as far right racists.

Thing is the perpetrator *is a British citizen*.
    Per Shamima Begum, if he's entitled to Rwandan citizenship, we can strip his British citizenship. And deport him, since Rwanda is safe (TM).
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,766
    edited August 4
    glw said:

Journalists don't seem to get that there is a lot more to social media than Twitter, TikTok, and Instagram. A couple of weeks ago they discovered Discord because of the Trump assassination attempt, now they seem to have found that Telegram exists.

It makes me laugh listening to politicians and pundits talking about holding Facebook to account. Facebook/Meta probably does a better job than any other social media platform of moderating content. That's not the place to worry about.
    Twitter is God's gift to lazy journalists. A hack friend of mine admitted a couple of years ago that his job these days is hardly more than summarising and expanding on stuff he sees there.

No wonder they tie with politicians and estate agents as the most despised profession there is.

Scott_xP said:

Fuck no

Bollocks

This is not complicated.
    By the same token, a majority of non-whites have not gone round stabbing little girls.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799
    kyf_100 said:

And sure, while things can move onto discord and telegram, they're also an order of magnitude smaller than sites like Twitter and TikTok, which are more shareable and have fewer barriers to entry. I don't need to be on TwiX for you to share a link to a video of people rioting, for example. Nor are they algorithmic, pushing content into people's feeds who haven't explicitly signed up for them. Compare that to Twitter's dire "for you" algo that seems designed to bifurcate and spread disinformation.

But if the agitator/disinformation source is on a smaller platform with enough followers on major platforms it still gets reposted like crazy and seen by lots of people on the major platforms. So if the trouble makers are staying out-of-reach on smaller platforms they can still cause a lot of trouble thanks to reposting.

Nunu5 said:

Nunu5 said:

Nunu5 said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Farage says many things.

They are about Farage.
    'Farascists'

Ha. I like that.

Farage is about Farage.
    That's the way to do it if you are canny/immoral: you can either try to be a big fish in a big pond and join an established party, or become the biggest fish in a small pond, and try to fill that pond.
    Or you can move ten foot to the left and build a NEW pond and fill it with a huge tortoise and 300 really small fake latex tadpoles and then quietly build a THIRD pond around the corner by the Aldi but call it the “sea of disquiet” and then pretend to be a narwhal. That is Farage’s game
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Fuck no

Bollocks

This is not complicated.

There were around a dozen or so EDL types in Leicester, and about 200 counter protesters, but only 2 arrests.
    1. That’s not true? There are videos of fairly random arrests across the country

2. But then you get mad things like the copper calmly asking the Muslim Defence League to “please leave your weapons at the mosque” as if it’s perfectly fine to walk around with a machete
    Labour candidate for Havant at the general election, (who came within 92 votes of a shock win).

"Stefanie Harvey
    @stefharvv

Recall Parliament and get the army out to support our police. This must stop now."

https://x.com/stefharvv/status/1820100466560192568
    edited August 4
    glw said:

Telegram is particularly tricky one. They everywhere and nowhere. The owner residences in Middle.East, who are happy to have him, he is billionaire who doesn't need money and he isn't interested in debate with governments about what is the right level of moderation.

glw said:

Telegram is particularly tricky one. They everywhere and nowhere. The owner residences in Middle.East, who are happy to have him, he is billionaire who doesn't need money and he isn't interested in debate with governments about what is the right level of moderation.
    It’s very useful in some countries. Ukraine for one
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,454
    KnightOut said:

Omnium said:

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/Manual_of_Heavy_Artillery_Service/x2YDAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=heavy+cannon&printsec=frontcover
    edited August 4
    Leon said:

glw said:

It’s very useful in some countries. Ukraine for one
    In some parts of the world it is the go to app. It has more functionality than the likes of twitter. Its not wechat, but provides a middle ground, where you can have these massive groups, and its anti censorship is perfect for goodies and baddies.
    KnightOut said:

Omnium said:

I charge you ten pound for this advice.
    Ch4 news,

Mobs of Asian men attacking white men now - Middlesbrough
    https://x.com/alextomo/status/1820149803566932024?t=bY_Jk1jiCLn7Xm1n2mouQg&s=19

We need some classic British summer rain.
    Taz said:

During the riots after drug dealer Mark ‘Hacksaw Jim’ Duggan was killed politicians demanded that peoples Blackberries were deactivated 😂😂😂

Meaningless gestures making old people feel relevant. The sort of thing advocate in places like China and Iran. How do you even know TikTok is a problem here ? The old media loves putting the boot into the new media so I wouldn’t trust them to report it fairly.
    I think TikTok is relevant because in so many of the videos of this live-streamed on TikTok and TwiX we can see other people filming in portrait with their own phones.

Scott_xP said:

Fuck no

Bollocks

This is not complicated.
    Yes, strange that isn’t it !

Ch4 news,

Self defense!
    edited August 4

Taz said:

I think TikTok is relevant because in so many of the videos of this live-streamed on TikTok and TwiX we can see other people filming in portrait with their own phones.
    At least it makes the police job easier. They really are thick aren't they. Every criminal these days knows, no phones, black unmarkered clothes, covid face mask / balaclava.

Ch4 news,

I presume Skyr Royale Starmer will be all over this as well. No?

Taz said:

I’m told something called Discord it very popular these days. Don’t even know what it is apart from its new media.

Is there a market on how long it will be before Labour is behind in any poll to the Tories.?

Or reform
    edited August 4
    Taz said:

Taz said:

I’m told something called Discord it very popular these days. Don’t even know what it is apart from its new media.
    Its started as like slack or teams for gamers, although its become a general go to for group chatting, all the social media, influencef, YouTube will offer private discord to chat with me and my mates for a low low price of....

Ch4 news,

It’s rained all effing summer and now we need it no rain.

I wonder if this is in reaction to the story, denied by Plod, that an Asian woman had acid thrown over her by white men in Middlesbrough ?

Taz said:

At least it makes the police job easier. They really are thick aren't they. Every criminal these days knows, no phones, black unmarkered clothes, covid face mask / balaclava.
    “How did you catch me”
    “You see that video with you in it? You see your phone showing us your location because you didn’t switch it off?”
    edited August 4

Taz said:

Sadly they were filming in portrait long before short form portrait-only video apps.

Taz said:

“How did you catch me”
    “You see that video with you in it? You see your phone showing us your location because you didn’t switch it off?”
    Do they teach them nothing in school these days.
    Taz said:

Taz said:

I double-took that as Disqus, the system PB used before Vanilla!
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Nunu5 said:

Nunu5 said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Farage says many things.

They are about Farage.
    'Farascists'

Ha. I like that.

Farage is about Farage.
    Or you can move ten foot to the left and build a NEW pond and fill it with a huge tortoise and 300 really small fake latex tadpoles and then quietly build a THIRD pond around the corner by the Aldi but call it the “sea of disquiet” and then pretend to be a narwhal. That is Farage’s game
    ... because he falls out with everyone he works with...
    Massive pet peeve of mine, dickheads going to a gig and filming the whole thing with their cellphone.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,214
    felix said:

I've 2 close Spanish friends - one from the left IU and the other centre left. Both gave identical reactions to the Southport murders. If the perpetrator was not a citizen they should be kicked out of the country. Both also have zero tolerance for immigrants who don't work and who live on benefits. To me and them, their reactions were simple common sense views which would be shared by many across the political spectrum. Yet on here they could easily be labelled as far right racists.

This is why Trump, Farage etc are on to a winning formula, they come across as coherant to ordinary people, they sound like they are just speaking 'common sense'. There is 'outrage' when Trump refers to millions of people coming over the border as an 'invasion', but the outrage is all in the minds of his opponents, because it breaks the rules of speech that they basically set. Once the rules of speech lose their credibility they fall like a line of dominos.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,705

kyf_100 said:

+1

Farage and Tice need to be questioned as well.
    KnightOut said:

Omnium said:

It's "Waters cannon", peasant.
    edited August 4
    This is now sectarian rioting with whites versus non whites all across Britain. We have 30 mini Belfasts around the UK

Congratulations to all the British politicians who strived so mightily to achieve this fantastic outcome despite the foolish warnings of the British people
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,157
    darkage said:

felix said:

This is why Trump, Farage etc are on to a winning formula, they come across as coherant to ordinary people, they sound like they are just speaking 'common sense'. There is 'outrage' when Trump refers to millions of people coming over the border as an 'invasion', but the outrage is all in the minds of his opponents, because it breaks the rules of speech that they basically set. Once the rules of speech lose their credibility they fall like a line of dominos.
    Erm, but they are simply lying! And they lie BIG! This used to be taboo in politics, but I guess you like it if it gets the result you want.
    carnforth said:

KnightOut said:

Omnium said:

And "a single die"!
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,206
    So the plods are getting bricked so that Starmer and Cooper can sound macho.

Come September they can slap in a 22% pay demand. How can Reeves say no ?

Firemen too for that matter.
    Leon said:

This is now sectarian rioting with whites versus non whites all across Britain. We have 30 mini Belfasts around the UK

Congratulations to all the British politicians who strived so mightily to achieve this fantastic outcome despite the foolish warnings of the British people

Why should you care? You hardly spend any time in Blighty any way!
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Fuck no

Bollocks

This is not complicated.

1. That’s not true? There are videos of fairly random arrests across the country

2. But then you get mad things like the copper calmly asking the Muslim Defence League to “please leave your weapons at the mosque” as if it’s perfectly fine to walk around with a machete
    Bout 2 I have thought about that and the Copper said something like ‘if I was you if I had these I’d drop them at the Mosque’. I didn’t see it as anything other than a wise attempt at de-escalation Leon. I get the complaints about 2 tier policing. Don’t see that as it.

Massive pet peeve of mine, dickheads going to a gig and filming the whole thing with their cellphone.

Innocent until proven guilty? :lol:
    edited August 4
    The current crop of rioters don't seem very savvy. In London riots they went for plasma tvs and expensive trainers. In Middleborough, they are looting an Iceland.

The current crop of rioters don't seem very savvy. In London riots they went for plasma tvs and expensive trainers. In Middleborough, they are looting an Iceland.

In 2011, it was all about the EMA, you see. Electrical Merchandise Allowance!
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,962

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

I agree with Leon on this. Being a backbench MP, having to reveal his earnings, doing constituency work etc etc is not for Farage. It's too much hard, unrewarding work. He wants to be hanging out with Trump, pontificating on the telly, hanging out with his very wealthy mates, making money for himself and so on. I suspect he'll find a way out of Clacton before this five years is up.

Farage was clearly aiming for the Leader of Opposition role at the GE thus displacing the Conservatives. A stretch goal, but not an impossible one if he had got a few percentage points more than polls were showing and the Tories a few points fewer. As it turned out, he missed by miles. I don't think he has any interest in leading party no 6 in the Commons.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,139

felix said:

Thing is the perpetrator *is a British citizen*.
    Oh indeed but people don't think that way in the real world.
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Fuck no

Bollocks

This is not complicated.

Bout 2 I have thought about that and the Copper said something like ‘if I was you if I had these I’d drop them at the Mosque’. I didn’t see it as anything other than a wise attempt at de-escalation Leon. I get the complaints about 2 tier policing. Don’t see that as it.

Leon said:

The non whites are British people as well you asshat
    At what point do I say anything else you knob?

That is WHY it is like Ulster. Two communities of British citizens determined to attack each other and divided by faith (and race)

It’s a calamity. I’d love to see an easy route out of this but I can’t

Most did but I do remember thins bellend

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8695988/London-riots-Lidl-water-thief-jailed-for-six-months.html#:~:text=A college student with no,during a night of rioting.&text=Nicolas Robinson, 23, of Borough,home from his girlfriend's house.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,705
    Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Fuck no

Bollocks

This is not complicated.

Leon said:

That is WHY it is like Ulster. Two communities of British citizens determined to attack each other and divided by faith (and race)

Do you, Leon?
    Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Fuck no

Bollocks

This is not complicated.

Leon said:

I’m guessing your reply is to Rochdale and not me !
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,571
    Nunu5 said:

Or reform
    If you want to lose money.. by all means.. no sane person supports Reform.
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Fuck no

Bollocks

This is not complicated.

Leon said:

We’re apparently now talking about British people and not terrible foreign Muslim invaders. Though of course the plucky put apon British people don’t see their neighbours as prober patriotic brits like them. Don’t look the same. Not enough swastica tattoos like true patriots all have.

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Fuck no

Bollocks

This is not complicated.

Leon said:

Do you, Leon?
    Do I what? Yes I would love to see a way of returning Britain to calm but I fear that 30 years of insane migration/asylum/multiculti policies - from both parties - have led us to the brink

It needs inspired leadership. Something truly special. I want this leadership to happen because although I can personally escape this mess most of my friends and family are in Britain and I don’t want them living in a massive version of 70s Ulster

Perhaps it will all disappear with the first wave of British summer rain. And never return. Who knows - that might happen 🙏🙏

Sweden says it will get worse. Denmark says there are remedies

carnforth said:

KnightOut said:

Omnium said:

And "a single die"!
    Can't change it now, Sunil. The dice is cast.
    DM_Andy said:

Scott_xP said:

Fuck no

Bollocks

This is not complicated.
    The majority should be stopping the minority committing crimes. All demonstrations that I've been on have had stewards that work with police to ensure as much as possible that no troublemakers latch on and use the majority to cover their criminality. Where's the stewardship of these demonstrations?

I tend to agree. I am on the side of strong law and order - vandals and violent thugs should be given a good shoeing and the book thrown at them. But I felt the same about BLM, Gaza, Harehills etc. I didn't notice ScottP, you, or any of our 'centre-left' contingent making those arguments then.
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Fuck no

Bollocks

This is not complicated.

Leon said:

Yes. Sorry. Mad block quoting

You make a reasonable point about the copper trying to defuse the situation - but if you step back it is still quite insane. “Please leave your weapons at the mosque”

How did we ever get here!?
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Fuck no

Bollocks

This is not complicated.

Leon said:

Do you, Leon?
    Do I what? Yes I would love to see a way of returning Britain to calm but I fear that 30 years of insane migration/asylum/multiculti policies - from both parties - have led us to the brink

It needs inspired leadership. Something truly special. I want this leadership to happen because although I can personally escape this mess most of my friends and family are in Britain and I don’t want them living in a massive version of 70s Ulster

Perhaps it will all disappear with the first wave of British summer rain. And never return. Who knows - that might happen 🙏🙏

I strongly suggest that you read over what you've just written and consider whether it's quite what you want.

kyf_100 said:

+1

Farage and Tice need to be questioned as well.
    They'd be ecstatic.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,904
    Leon said:

The British people who just voted in a Labour government?

I also think Starmer is in trouble, but because he's not cracking down hard enough on these fascist arseholes.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    carnforth said:

carnforth said:

KnightOut said:

Omnium said:

And "a single die"!
    Can't change it now, Sunil. The dice is cast.
    May the die fly high!

DM_Andy said:

Scott_xP said:

Fuck no

Bollocks

This is not complicated.

I tend to agree. I am on the side of strong law and order - vandals and violent thugs should be given a good shoeing and the book thrown at them. But I felt the same about BLM, Gaza, Harehills etc. I didn't notice ScottP, you, or any of our 'centre-left' contingent making those arguments then.
    I’ve been on here calling out the Gaza and Harehills stuff.
    edited August 4
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Fuck no

Bollocks

This is not complicated.

Leon said:

Do you, Leon?

I strongly suggest that you read over what you've just written and consider whether it's quite what you want.
    I just did. My central claim is that we now have sometimes-violent sectarian division between British citizens in Britain - as was the case in Northern Ireland. In what way is that wrong?

DM_Andy said:

Scott_xP said:

Fuck no

Bollocks

This is not complicated.

Good, I commend you.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,750
    Just rewatched The Manchurian Candidate.
    Did the Secret Service check for decks of playing cards in the shooter’s house ?

DM_Andy said:

Scott_xP said:

Fuck no

Bollocks

This is not complicated.

Good, I commend you.
    I can’t commend you. The fix is not more division and whataboutery
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,226

Stand Up To Racism
    @AntiRacismDay
    ·
    7m
    fascists: 450, fascists: 7

Cardiff delivers for the second day running!

I've corrected it for you.
This discussion has been closed.