Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A fortnight on – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954

Nunu5 said:

Two tier Keir is a dangerous moniker that could stick. He'll need to tread carefully. And it isn't true that all the counter protesters have been multi-cultural and peaceful. We've had gangs of muslim men charging around chanting Allahu Akbar. They may be unhappy with things they've seen in recent days but that's not likely to help.

It only increases my admiration for our Jewish population who have retained an incredibly dignified civility in spite of everything that they have experienced over the last nine months.

Jewish population look white so aren't targetted.
    Er....... they most definitely have been since 7 October.
    In the UK, I mean.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,042

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

A useful contribution to the debate.

"nazir afzal
    @nazirafzal

If I hear one more racist say “they’re invading our country” & “they don’t share core British values,” I’m going to remind them of how invading countries used to be a core British value
    10:40 PM · Aug 3, 2024
    ·
    2.1M Views"

https://x.com/nazirafzal/status/1819850774706344317

Invading countries has never been a core British value. It isn't even a core American value. One only invades when one can no longer influence without the bother of invading and garrisoning.
    Never a core British value?

90% of the world's countries would be surprised at your assertion.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=how+many+countries+has+britain+invaded
    'A core value' suggests that we invaded other countries because we felt like it. This has never been the case.
    White man's burden wasn't it
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527

I keep hearing that there are only a few states in play. Picking someone who's likely to swing one of the key states would be the obvious thing to do.

A strange little incident from BBC News. A former senior Met officer mentions the Army officer stabbing and is quickly cut off.

https://x.com/livethedream99/status/1820086536806728065

He talks about people putting two and two together and making five. I'm not sure the beeb giving the impression it wants certain stories avoided will improve public confidence!

It's almost like there's reporting restrictions in place and the BBC do not want to be in contempt of court.
    But why? There's a feeling now that CoC is being used to censor the news.
    The BBC would, pursuant to the Contempt of Court Act 1981, be liable for contempt where it broadcast anything which creates a substantial risk that active legal proceedings in the United Kingdom will be seriously impeded or prejudiced.
    It’s the same with any criminal case after an arrest has been made. Linking the stabbing to the rumours that began the current unrest could prejudice proceedings. That’s the BBC’s rationale anyway. Have a word with their lawyer if you disagree.

• Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    It seems the Daily Mail have published the location of Tommy's hotel, and now he is very upset that people might attack him there...

Ummmmmmm
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    A good (and IMO fair) article on the controversy over boxing at the Olympics:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/articles/cnk4427vvd2o
    Can someone explain to me how exactly Leon is being “silenced” on here? From personal experience I know he’s not averse to shutting people down with a few choice ad hominems.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314
    Woo, three medals for Ukraine in field sports, in the last half an hour.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,845
    Nunu5 said:

tlg86 said:

Nunu5 said:

Two tier Keir is a dangerous moniker that could stick. He'll need to tread carefully. And it isn't true that all the counter protesters have been multi-cultural and peaceful. We've had gangs of muslim men charging around chanting Allahu Akbar. They may be unhappy with things they've seen in recent days but that's not likely to help.

It only increases my admiration for our Jewish population who have retained an incredibly dignified civility in spite of everything that they have experienced over the last nine months.

Jewish population look white so aren't targetted.
    Is that you Diane?
    Am I wrong? Majority of Jewish in Britain today LOOK white. You couldn't tell them apart from a Russian in London
    Depends which community. There are large numbers of both fully ashkenazi or half-jewish people who can't be distinguished from any other North Europeans, but there are also middle-Eastern Jews and about 200,000 in Orthodox clothes.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,648
    DougSeal said:

Can someone explain to me how exactly Leon is being “silenced” on here? From personal experience I know he’s not averse to shutting people down with a few choice ad hominems.

He's just attention seeking in between his internet searches for women in burkhas as per usual.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,362
    edited August 4
    More Asian men attacking lone white individuals. appears to be in response to earlier violence meted out by overwhelmingly white anti- immigrant marchers

https://x.com/alextomo/status/1820150673037750684?t=VmllMYu21gANxoansr8e0w&s=19

Starmer really needed to be stronger on, people aren't to take revenge, let the police do their work, we will be adding resources to protest you.

Appears a mob are now attacking a hotel in Tamworth. That traditionally is a pretty boring kind of town.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676
    kamski said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

A useful contribution to the debate.

"nazir afzal
    @nazirafzal

If I hear one more racist say “they’re invading our country” & “they don’t share core British values,” I’m going to remind them of how invading countries used to be a core British value
    10:40 PM · Aug 3, 2024
    ·
    2.1M Views"

https://x.com/nazirafzal/status/1819850774706344317

Invading countries has never been a core British value. It isn't even a core American value. One only invades when one can no longer influence without the bother of invading and garrisoning.
    Never a core British value?

90% of the world's countries would be surprised at your assertion.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=how+many+countries+has+britain+invaded
    'A core value' suggests that we invaded other countries because we felt like it. This has never been the case.
    White man's burden wasn't it
    I think the philisophy of the white man's burden was invented after the fact as so many philosophies are.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    Barnesian said:

Leon said:

Barnesian said:

Leon said:

This is now sectarian rioting with whites versus non whites all across Britain. We have 30 mini Belfasts around the UK

Congratulations to all the British politicians who strived so mightily to achieve this fantastic outcome despite the foolish warnings of the British people

Is your problem with non-whites or is it with Muslims? Is it skin colour or religion?

How you feel about white Muslims or black Christians?
    I'm not sure what is driving you.
    My beef is with absurd leftist nostrums like multiculturalism - parallel societies with parallel values. It is a disaster. Also the idea that you can have essentially limitless migration and asylum from any culture worldwide and it won’t cause enormous problems - and that anyone who complains should be labelled and silenced as a racist, which solves all issues

THAT is my beef. It is now plainly apparent that all these policies are destructively stupid
    Thanks for the response. So it's not skin colour or religion. It's multiple cultures.

I love London. I think it is the greatest city in the world. And part of what makes it so is the mixture of cultures. I love the diversity of languages, clothes, food, music. It's got energy and surprise.

Would you prefer London to be like Bournemouth? Old white couples, bless them, harmlessly wandering around exploring its biologically diverse gardens and planning their next bridge game.

PS I like the Danish approach.
    The approach that works is multiple cultures without “separate development” - there’s a word in Afrikaans that is handy…

Think of Switzerland. The Germans, the French and Italians. Add in the religious wars of the reformation. Stir. Add in more guns per head than America. And yet, what do you have?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    edited August 4

Yeah. It's very complex. But boxing always throws up Olympic controversy. Its case for staying in the Games isn't great.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,533
    DougSeal said:

That's very different though. He doesn't use full stops for one thing. The iconoclast that he is.
  • WillGWillG Posts: 2,366
    DougSeal said:

People were actively arguing for him to be banned on the last thread, based on "Islamophobia" when he didn't say anything about Islam. And I was accused of being a Nazi, because I pointed out the authorities did eff all about 10,000 raped kids. It is just how centre-left people are. If they don't like a viewpoint, they don't try to argue against it but slur, insult and ban.
    kyf_100 said:

KnightOut said:

When is someone more important than me going to stand up and 'Reclaim the Right'?

I consider myself to be very right wing, but the beliefs and behaviours of the so-called 'far right' is absolute anathema to me.

Now I accept that there's a slight possibilty that I've spent my life misunderstanding the definitions and that I am actually a raging lefty or radical centrist or something, but my strong suspicion is that it is the 'far right' who have been mislabelled. By those for whom such an agenda would be strategically convenient.

And I'm fucking sick of it. I'd like those of us who are strongly in favour of individualism, personal freedoms, minimal state, sound money etc. to be able to say that we are very right wing and proud of the fact, without all the negative connotations.

1) if a plane crashes on the border of Ukraine and the Republic of China, which side should we bury the survivors?

2) if you are in a queue at A&E for four hours and someone cuts into the queue, do you
    A) shoot them
    B ) challenge them to a single stick duel
    C )do nothing but mutter under your breath to someone else in the queue about manners.

3) when the sacristan of an ancient French cathedral offers you a medieval manuscript created by a cleric who died in mysterious circumstances, for a price far below its value, do you -
    A) buy it
    B ) say no very politely, then leave town fast
    C ) see if you can arrange for Putin (or similar) to buy it
    Bah. I'm supposed to be the batshit insane libertarian on this forum.

Where does KnightOut stand on the legalisation of drugs, the trans issue, and the right of every upstanding British citizen to concealed carry an M28 Davy Crockett for personal protection?
    Concealed carry of nuclear weapons is insane.

Your manservant should proudly carry it, 3 steps behind you. No deterence otherwise.
  • DopermeanDopermean Posts: 269
    edited August 4
    darkage said:

I just looked at Starmers video. The double standards between the stance taken now on 'far right' rioting and what he said in 2020 about BLM is really obvious. Farage isn't saying much at the moment; he is just waiting for the right time to attack Starmer over this. Starmer may imprison a load of thugs, but the problem of the 'far right' is just going to get bigger. Reform intend to make rapid progress in the north of england, this is a good opportunity for them.

The BLM protests were largely peaceful with only a few arrests, some for social distancing breaches not violent disorder. They weren't torching mosques, libraries or hotels.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,572
    Barnesian said:

Leon said:

This is now sectarian rioting with whites versus non whites all across Britain. We have 30 mini Belfasts around the UK

Congratulations to all the British politicians who strived so mightily to achieve this fantastic outcome despite the foolish warnings of the British people

Is your problem with non-whites or is it with Muslims? Is it skin colour or religion?

His usual brainlessness, obvs.
  • BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,695
    edited August 4
    At the Army base I visit on a Sunday I love the juxtaposition of messages

On the left, blue sign

“Volunteer Gliding Squadron”

On the right, red sign

“Compulsory Drug Testing”

• kjhkjh Posts: 11,516
    KnightOut said:

When is someone more important than me going to stand up and 'Reclaim the Right'?

I consider myself to be very right wing, but the beliefs and behaviours of the so-called 'far right' is absolute anathema to me.

Now I accept that there's a slight possibilty that I've spent my life misunderstanding the definitions and that I am actually a raging lefty or radical centrist or something, but my strong suspicion is that it is the 'far right' who have been mislabelled. By those for whom such an agenda would be strategically convenient.

And I'm fucking sick of it. I'd like those of us who are strongly in favour of individualism, personal freedoms, minimal state, sound money etc. to be able to say that we are very right wing and proud of the fact, without all the negative connotations.

I'm in favour of individualism, personal freedoms, minimal state and sound money and a lot more and I'm a liberal. You haven't described anything there that makes you right wing.
    ohnotnow said:

EPG said:

Barnesian said:

Leon said:

Muslims, primarily. He had no problem trolling around Thailand.
    There are lots of Muslims in Thailand.

Mind you, they don’t look like the stereotype angry beard types….
    I was quite surprised when I was digging into the Thailand wikipedia pages how much "islamist" (drugs/smuggling/IRA-esque) violence they have. I'd really no idea there were so many deaths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Thailand_insurgency

Over 6,500 people died and almost 12,000 were injured between 2004 and 2015 in a formerly ethnic separatist insurgency, which has currently been taken over by hard-line jihadis and pitted them against both the Thai-speaking Buddhist minority and local Muslims who have a moderate approach or who support the Thai government.

Many Thais in the U.K. are Muslims who left because they felt under threat by the more… err.. outspoken Buddhists and the more outspoken “separatist” types. No safe middle ground in some parts of the country.
    One fervently expects it's the Greek bit.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    Two Cheers for Democracy (as some famous author once said). There are non-violent ways to correct mistakes in democracies. The city of Seattle went too far left, got too much drug use, disorder, and crime, and has reversed itself under a new mayor, Bruce Harrell, who has been trying to reform, and build back the police force. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Harrell

He's a good man trying to do the mostly right things, with a fascinating background. And he now has the support of a moderate city council majority (by Seattle standards).

I wish him luck. (He'll need it.)

Meanwhile, the leading Democratic candidate for Washington state governor, Bob Ferguson, is calling for more police officers. (I haven't seen the details, but would be interested, because of the complexity of the issue. The state police, which are under the governor, mostly patrol the highways, so I assume he is thinking of some kind of subsidy to cities and counties.)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Ferguson_(politician)

Elections matter.

Leon said:

You know what. I’m nearly done here

If you want to drive every sane or civilised right wing voice off the site then carry on exactly as you are and I will indeed leave. And this time I won’t come back

And this site will turn into an insanely boring pile of shite where centrist lefty dads discuss the fucking west coast main line. And it will finally die

Nonsense.
    Some of us are more interested in the East Coast main line.
    {draws giant two handed sword}

Heretic !!!!!!
    WillG said:

DougSeal said:

People were actively arguing for him to be banned on the last thread, based on "Islamophobia" when he didn't say anything about Islam. And I was accused of being a Nazi, because I pointed out the authorities did eff all about 10,000 raped kids. It is just how centre-left people are. If they don't like a viewpoint, they don't try to argue against it but slur, insult and ban.
    Lol. That’s exactly what Leon does and I’d hardly describe him as centre-left. Indeed the rightists here are so insecure in their arguments they don’t even bother to engage with a contrary viewpoint before resorting to slurs. The knots the right tie themselves in here to justify burning libraries and then insult anyone who dares suggest that might not be a good idea are quite remarkable.

On the left, blue sign

On the right, red sign

I would say you have to be on drugs to fly a plane without an engine, but I have and I'm not.
    Here goes then, eyes down for the most exciting ten seconds of TV you’ll watch this year!
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    100 m mens final now

Leon said:

If you want to drive every sane or civilised right wing voice off the site then carry on exactly as you are and I will indeed leave. And this time I won’t come back

And this site will turn into an insanely boring pile of shite where centrist lefty dads discuss the fucking west coast main line. And it will finally die

Nonsense.

Heretic !!!!!!
    The Midland Main Line's the best! Better than anything the LNER or GWR could produce!!!!!
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,505

I keep hearing that there are only a few states in play. Picking someone who's likely to swing one of the key states would be the obvious thing to do.

A strange little incident from BBC News. A former senior Met officer mentions the Army officer stabbing and is quickly cut off.

https://x.com/livethedream99/status/1820086536806728065

He talks about people putting two and two together and making five. I'm not sure the beeb giving the impression it wants certain stories avoided will improve public confidence!

Picking a VP to swing their state has a rather spotty track record.

Shapiro has a big issue with the Left of the Democrat Party over Gaza.

Kelly has less issues and may have more reach with independents and swing voters.
    Kelly’s prior profession might make him a very useful addition to the corridors of power in the next couple of years.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605

More Asian men attacking lone white individuals. appears to be in response to earlier violence meted out by overwhelmingly white anti- immigrant marchers

https://x.com/alextomo/status/1820150673037750684?t=VmllMYu21gANxoansr8e0w&s=19

Starmer really needed to be stronger on, people aren't to take revenge, let the police do their work, we will be adding resources to protest you.

Appears a mob are now attacking a hotel in Tamworth. That traditionally is a pretty boring kind of town.

The BBC report on Bolton said it was peaceful until the police were attacked by members of the Asian community.

https://x.com/editor_gfl/status/1820144350728232984
    edited August 4
    Dopermean said:

darkage said:

I just looked at Starmers video. The double standards between the stance taken now on 'far right' rioting and what he said in 2020 about BLM is really obvious. Farage isn't saying much at the moment; he is just waiting for the right time to attack Starmer over this. Starmer may imprison a load of thugs, but the problem of the 'far right' is just going to get bigger. Reform intend to make rapid progress in the north of england, this is a good opportunity for them.

The BLM protests were largely peaceful with only a few arrests, some for social distancing breaches not violent disorder. They weren't torching mosques, libraries or hotels.
    That isn't true. There were 300 arrests, of which 20 were for breaching COVID regulations. The 6th June BLM protest there was some serious public disorder.

Then Tommy and his band of merry men turned up the next weekend and it was for a few hours it was very nasty between both the police and then subsections of the two groups.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    DougSeal said:

WillG said:

DougSeal said:

Lol. That’s exactly what Leon does and I’d hardly describe him as centre-left. Indeed the rightists here are so insecure in their arguments they don’t even bother to engage with a contrary viewpoint before resorting to slurs. The knots the right tie themselves in here to justify burning libraries and then insult anyone who dares suggest that might not be a good idea are quite remarkable.
    Yes. Because of course I praised the burning of libraries. That’s what I do
    WillG said:

DougSeal said:

They didn't do eff all. They wrote a very long report at some expense. There was some earnest hand-wringing. And, I think you'll find, found some lessons to be learned.

See also Grenfell, umpteen children's homes down the years, blah. Soon we'll have a very long and very earnest report into the current rioting.

By 'soon' I mean in five to ten years time and upwards of £50m in costs. More lessons to be learned added to the list. Long polemics written by the fourth estate. Sad and solemn words said in parliament.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761
    Leon said:

Don’t let the door hit your arse on the way out. 👋
    edited August 4
    There is video of the library being burned in Liverpool, those inside building the fire by adding chairs etc, look very young.
    Lyles! Told youse.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    Lyles for US narrowly bears Thomson for Jamaice in Olympics mens' 100m final
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,159
    Wow what a race!
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    edited August 4
    dixiedean said:

Lyles! Told youse.

Want to see the photo - I thought the Jamaican got it.

EDIT: on the dip!
    How did Lyles win that....he was miles behind with 10m to go.
    Photo finish!

ohnotnow said:

EPG said:

Barnesian said:

Leon said:

I was quite surprised when I was digging into the Thailand wikipedia pages how much "islamist" (drugs/smuggling/IRA-esque) violence they have. I'd really no idea there were so many deaths.

Over 6,500 people died and almost 12,000 were injured between 2004 and 2015 in a formerly ethnic separatist insurgency, which has currently been taken over by hard-line jihadis and pitted them against both the Thai-speaking Buddhist minority and local Muslims who have a moderate approach or who support the Thai government.
    Many Thais in the U.K. are Muslims who left because they felt under threat by the more… err.. outspoken Buddhists and the more outspoken “separatist” types. No safe middle ground in some parts of the country.

Buddhists. Don't get me started!...

(joking - in the current climate - just to be clear)

(Though again - I was surprised when it turned out the nice Buddhist people were also capable of brutal violence. I'm a sucker for marketing it seems...)
  • EScrymgeourEScrymgeour Posts: 136
    9.91 and you finish last. Tough gig.
    Those lads are definitely on the baking soda.
    Won on the dip!
    7th Place went under 9.9.
  • Babbage9Babbage9 Posts: 10
    edited August 4
    An excellent race and an advert for these Games, which are turning out better than most expected.

https://x.com/runthinkwrite/status/1820140123197194547

Jon Pike
    @runthinkwrite
    Whatever the political disputes between a Putin-influenced IBA and an indentitarian-influenced IOC consider this:

What would a global sports authority that was genuinely committed to the integrity of female sport do?

And compare that to what is unfolding

It's possible that it was an IBA stitch up - the timing of the disqualifications is curious - but the IOC are an absolute mess.
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

WillG said:

DougSeal said:

I said “justify”. Or, alternatively, “excuse” if you prefer. Not “praise”.
    Seville who finished last showed signs of an injury just after his semi win.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,159
    Babbage9 said:

An excellent race and a advert for these Games, which are turning out better than most expected.

Only if you're able to ignore blatant doping by the Chinese in swimming. In a few years there will be another "scandal" and WADA will have been shown to be just as useless as they were with the Russians.
  • BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,695
    kjh said:

On the left, blue sign

On the right, red sign

I would say you have to be on drugs to fly a plane without an engine, but I have and I'm not.
    I would and you might need some encouragement to do it in a war zone!
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,214
    WillG said:

DougSeal said:

I didn't read all the comments but would agree that there is a tendency to want to turn the website in to a safe space for the centre left, by trying to shut down all the forces that seek to challenge the dominant worldview. If this succeeds the website is effectively dead, because it becomes people of the same worldview logging on to agree with each other, a form of companionship and therapy perhaps, but not useful debate.

One comment I would make, and not something that is really discussed, is that there are no new young posters. I'd guess a large majority are in their 50's or older, some in their 40's. It is starting to noticeably affect the discussions.
    The 100m sprinters would be getting themselves a regularly speeding ticket in Wales....

How did Lyles win that....he was miles behind with 10m to go.

Was last after 30 metres. Imagine what he could have done with a decent start.
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

WillG said:

DougSeal said:

As a 'rightist' on this board, I'm not remotely insecure about my arguments, nor afraid to engage with a contrary viewpoint, nor prone to 'slurs' - those tend to come my way far more than the other way around.

Leon said:

Nonsense.

Heretic !!!!!!
    The Midland Main Line's the best! Better than anything the LNER or GWR could produce!!!!!
    Surrounded by heresy! cruuuuuussssssaaaaaaadddde!
    darkage said:

WillG said:

DougSeal said:

I didn't read all the comments but would agree that there is a tendency to want to turn the website in to a safe space for the centre left, by trying to shut down all the forces that seek to challenge the dominant worldview. If this succeeds the website is effectively dead, because it becomes people of the same worldview logging on to agree with each other, a form of companionship and therapy perhaps, but not useful debate.

One comment I would make, and not something that is really discussed, is that there are no new young posters. I'd guess a large majority are in their 50's or older, some in their 40's. It is starting to noticeably affect the discussions.
    This website is substantially more boring than it was three or four years ago. There used to be very strident back and forths with compelling arguments each way that were genuinely illuminating. But almost all the voices that didn't conform to dull Starmerism have gone. Leon is one of the few regular commenters that still argues regularly from the right. And of course now they want him banned too.
    Sandpit said:
    Unlike the pole vaulter the other day where it cost him a medal, having your manhood untucked might be the difference between gold and 4th.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,505
    Quite an unedifying pile on against Leon tonight.
    darkage said:

WillG said:

DougSeal said:

And no women at all these days. We used to have quite a few.
    edited August 4
    WillG said:

darkage said:

WillG said:

DougSeal said:

This website is substantially more boring than it was three or four years ago. There used to be very strident back and forths with compelling arguments each way that were genuinely illuminating. But almost all the voices that didn't conform to dull Starmerism have gone. Leon is one of the few regular commenters that still argues regularly from the right. And of course now they want him banned too.
    Peak PB was 2010-ish, where people actually discussed pros and cons of policy backed up by data.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    darkage said:

WillG said:

DougSeal said:

Many people drop in, become regulars for a bit, then drop out. Of those that stay most are in the 35-65 range, and skewed towards the older. There are some young people, but not many.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455

kyf_100 said:

KnightOut said:

1) if a plane crashes on the border of Ukraine and the Republic of China, which side should we bury the survivors?

2) if you are in a queue at A&E for four hours and someone cuts into the queue, do you
    A) shoot them
    B ) challenge them to a single stick duel
    C )do nothing but mutter under your breath to someone else in the queue about manners.

3) when the sacristan of an ancient French cathedral offers you a medieval manuscript created by a cleric who died in mysterious circumstances, for a price far below its value, do you -
    A) buy it
    B ) say no very politely, then leave town fast
    C ) see if you can arrange for Putin (or similar) to buy it
    Bah. I'm supposed to be the batshit insane libertarian on this forum.

Where does KnightOut stand on the legalisation of drugs, the trans issue, and the right of every upstanding British citizen to concealed carry an M28 Davy Crockett for personal protection?
    Concealed carry of nuclear weapons is insane.

Your manservant should proudly carry it, 3 steps behind you. No deterence otherwise.
    I prefer a more modern approach: an AG drone with the M388 and a mock up RCL rifle as a deliberately retro payload, but also several knife missiles concealed here and there.
    ohnotnow said:

ohnotnow said:

EPG said:

Barnesian said:

Leon said:

Buddhists. Don't get me started!...

(joking - in the current climate - just to be clear)

(Though again - I was surprised when it turned out the nice Buddhist people were also capable of brutal violence. I'm a sucker for marketing it seems...)

There is no creed that has not been turned to such ends. Nor is one possible.

Leon said:

Nonsense.

Heretic !!!!!!
    Surrounded by heresy! cruuuuuussssssaaaaaaadddde!
    Hey, come on. The Peak Line and the Settle and Carlisle were both on the MML. No other main route went through anything like it.
    These guys will facing each other more regularly next year. Michael Johnson is fronting a new venture called Grand Slam Track.
    Based on the majors in golf and the grand slam tournaments in tennis.
    No field events only track.
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

WillG said:

DougSeal said:

Socially centre-left types just like to make up shit to argue against, because they can't argue your actual viewpoints. It's why I was accused of blaming victims on the last thread by TSE. When the only people I ever blamed were the authorities and the media. It's like their brains stop engaging when they see it is a viewpoint outside the centre-left consensus. They just assume you have said their what their stereotype view would say. Regardless of what you actually said.

These guys will facing each other more regularly next year. Michael Johnson is fronting a new venture called Grand Slam Track.

Field-ist....

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

WillG said:

DougSeal said:

As a 'rightist' on this board, I'm not remotely insecure about my arguments, nor afraid to engage with a contrary viewpoint, nor prone to 'slurs' - those tend to come my way far more than the other way around.
    You may get a little pushback on here because of your track record of shilling for Russia - whether it was over the MH17 shootdown or Ukrainian biolabs.

And as those examples show, your 'arguments' are often ludicrous. :)
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    WillG said:

Socially centre-left types just like to make up shit to argue against

You just made that shit up

No argument

WillG said:

darkage said:

WillG said:

DougSeal said:

Peak PB was 2010-ish, where people actually discussed pros and cons of policy backed up by data.
    Hey! The year I joined! Glad to know it hasn't descended since then...
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274

On the left, blue sign

On the right, red sign

Would you prefer IF they were reversed?

WillG said:

darkage said:

WillG said:

DougSeal said:

I got shouted at for linking to polling earlier, because it showed a particularly unpopular politician as perhaps having a point.
    edited August 4

On the left, blue sign

On the right, red sign

Would you prefer IF they were reversed?
    The gliding should be compulsory - it’s great fun!

(Although I do wonder what modern health and safety types would say, if someone proposed today either of the usual launch methods without a long history and grandfather rights!).
    Scott_xP said:

WillG said:

No argument
    Ok, fine. Here is my example. DougSeal below said that Leon justified burning libraries. He did nothing of the sort.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907
    It’s a shame they can’t use rubber bullets on the scum causing all this devastation.
    WillG said:

Scott_xP said:

WillG said:

No argument
    Ok, fine. Here is my example. DougSeal below said that Leon justified burning libraries. He did nothing of the sort.
    Actually having checked, I gave an example of this behavior by TSE in the comment Scott actually replied to. But of course, Scott can't engage with what actually happened, proving my point.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003
    moonshine said:

not unusual

I love how the blame for moron racist scum burning hotels full of people and desperately trying to attack mosques is "lefties" who apparently should take ownership of their actions.

Unlike said moron racists of course. Who were provoked into it by leftists and aren't responsible for their actions. Or something.

No-one has said this. You are arguing against a completely made up scenario in your own head.

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

WillG said:

DougSeal said:

You may get a little pushback on here because of your track record of shilling for Russia - whether it was over the MH17 shootdown or Ukrainian biolabs.

I am always happy to learn new things, and sometimes I've found taking a strong position and attracting counter-arguments that can change my initial view to be a good, if unintended outcome.

Needless to say, that hasn't happened with your responses, which are usually puerile smears.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,279

Field-ist....
    Fields medal. 100m the fastest, and you have to prove it.
    I think part of the issue facing PB is that politics has been moving very fast since about 2015, and especially since 2019. Before then, whilst there was change and scandals, they happened at a much slower rate.

For the last few years both main parties have been in considerable flux, with Corbyn, and Boris and his successors taking their parties into uncharted waters. There has been no stability, and the extremes of left and right have had their time in the limelight. It's hard to talk about policy details when a party's leadership changes as radically as it has from Cameron to Truss, or from Ed to Corbyn to Starmer.

We used to argue over VAT on pasties, for goodness' sake! What innocent times.

Politics, and the world as a whole, could do with a few quiet years.
    nico679 said:

It’s a shame they can’t use rubber bullets on the scum causing all this devastation.

Problem is, if you use rubber bullets today you have to use them the next time it kicks off over something else.
  • DopermeanDopermean Posts: 269

Dopermean said:

darkage said:

That isn't true. There were 300 arrests, of which 20 were for breaching COVID regulations. The 6th June BLM protest there was some serious public disorder.

Then Tommy and his band of merry men turned up the next weekend and it was for a few hours it was very nasty between both the police and then subsections of the two groups.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Floyd_protests_in_the_United_Kingdom
    Given the numbers at the marches, the arrests are a very small % and it's not clear if the Met differentiated between protesters and counter-protesters. Also they tore down some statues, they weren't torching buildings putting lives at risk.
    moonshine said:

Oh come off it. @leon is provocative, posts endlessly and can handle himself robustly. He doesn't need any help or sympathy and probably doesn't appreciate it. I've never seen him not holding his own. Double entendre not intended, but appropriate given his recent postings about socks.
    edited August 4
    Dopermean said:

Dopermean said:

darkage said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Floyd_protests_in_the_United_Kingdom
    Given the numbers at the marches, the arrests are a very small % and it's not clear if the Met differentiated between protesters and counter-protesters. Also they tore down some statues, they weren't torching buildings putting lives at risk.
    The 6th and 13th was very bad days. On the 13th in particular there was widespread lawlessness, where people were severely beaten to an extent that they could have been killed, there is some footage of that happening in isolated cases today and yesterday. But no, we didn't have US style "mostly peaceful" riots.

Unlike France, violence at protests turning into riots are very rare in the UK, it is why the shock in Wales the other year, in Leeds the other week and now how it is spiralled the past few days. Its why we all remember 2011, as it stood out as a really bad example, same as Brixton riots.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    kjh said:

moonshine said:

Oh come off it. @leon is provocative, posts endlessly and can handle himself robustly. He doesn't need any help or sympathy and probably doesn't appreciate it. I've never seen him not holding his own. Double entendre not intended, but appropriate given his recent postings about socks.
    No, I think I’m pretty much done
    carnforth said:

Field-ist....
    200 metres is quicker.

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

WillG said:

DougSeal said:

I am always happy to learn new things, and sometimes I've found taking a strong position and attracting counter-arguments that can change my initial view to be a good, if unintended outcome.

Needless to say, that hasn't happened with your responses, which are usually puerile smears.
    That really doesn't wash.

You show no indication you have learnt from those incidents. I wasn't the one who started calling you 'PutinsGuy'.

'usually puerile smears' ? I'd prefer to call them factual reminders of who you are. ;)
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    Leon said:

On a more cheerful note, Béziers is genuinely odd

It’s very beautiful - like so many French towns - it has some spectacular views across the languedoc valleys and a quaint pretty historic quarter. Plus some handsome 19th century boulevards and squares

In most countries it would be prized as a jewel and be upper middle class for sure. But the people here feel like somewhat poorer Brits. A lot of tatts and smoking. Quite shit restaurants everywhere. Cheap clothes and cheap booze

It’s hard for a Briton to reconcile the apparently elegant Mediterranean urbanism with a poorer citizenry

Can it possibly be a psychographical hangover from the Albigensian crusade?! A cursed town?

Despite the implicit anti-Semitism of their views on the Old Testament God, the Cathars had little hostility to Jews as people and Jews probably had a higher status in Cathar territories than they had anywhere else in Europe at the time. Cathars appointed Jews as bailiffs and to other roles as public officials, which further increased the Catholic Church's anger at the Cathars.[59]
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,962
    dixiedean said:

I remember being one of a handful of Labour supporters on here, taking a battering every thread.
    Wasn't that long ago.

I was actually called deranged for thinking Boris Johnson a suboptimal prime minister.
    edited August 4
    dixiedean said:

carnforth said:

Field-ist....
    200 metres is quicker.
    That’s also a good pub quiz question (although the current WR is slightly faster for the 100m, 9.58 vs 19.19).

As is the distance of the fastest (in speed) race at the Olympics, which is the 4x100m relay.
    FF43 said:

dixiedean said:

I remember being one of a handful of Labour supporters on here, taking a battering every thread.
    Wasn't that long ago.

I was actually called deranged for thinking Boris Johnson a suboptimal prime minister.
    I was saying BJ would be a terrible PM whilst he was still MoL - the Garden Bridge debacle showing all the traits that would eventually bring him down.

I got a lot of pushback over that. The defefew people defending the Garden Bridge project on here were hilarious.

But I have to disagree with your main point. You are deranged if you think BJ was a suboptimal PM.

He was much worse than that...
This discussion has been closed.