Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A fortnight on – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,226
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

But again, that seems like classic political manipulation - are you on the side of brick throwers, or do you want to be one of the good, nice people*.

*which means never complaining about migration or whether it's having a negative affect on your life or community again.

Fuck no

"are you on the side of brick throwers, or do you want to be one of the good, nice people"

Everybody should know the right answer to that

"which means never complaining about migration or whether it's having a negative affect on your life or community again"

Bollocks

You can complain, you can vote. We just had an election. The racists didn't win.

What you can't do is attempt murder.

This is not complicated.
    The majority of those protesting have not been committing crimes. Your statements, and SKS's statements, happily lump them all in with those who have. Something I must have missed you doing when other protests that you were more aligned with politically turned to violence.
    Yes, but only those committing alleged crimes are being arrested and charged.

There were around a dozen or so EDL types in Leicester, and about 200 counter protesters, but only 2 arrests.
    1. That’s not true? There are videos of fairly random arrests across the country

2. But then you get mad things like the copper calmly asking the Muslim Defence League to “please leave your weapons at the mosque” as if it’s perfectly fine to walk around with a machete
    Bout 2 I have thought about that and the Copper said something like ‘if I was you if I had these I’d drop them at the Mosque’. I didn’t see it as anything other than a wise attempt at de-escalation Leon. I get the complaints about 2 tier policing. Don’t see that as it.

Leon said:

This is now sectarian rioting with whites versus non whites all across Britain. We have 30 mini Belfasts around the UK

Congratulations to all the British politicians who strived so mightily to achieve this fantastic outcome despite the foolish warnings of the British people

The non whites are British people as well you asshat
    At what point do I say anything else you knob?

That is WHY it is like Ulster. Two communities of British citizens determined to attack each other and divided by faith (and race)

It’s a calamity. I’d love to see an easy route out of this but I can’t
    Do you, Leon?
    Do I what? Yes I would love to see a way of returning Britain to calm but I fear that 30 years of insane migration/asylum/multiculti policies - from both parties - have led us to the brink

It needs inspired leadership. Something truly special. I want this leadership to happen because although I can personally escape this mess most of my friends and family are in Britain and I don’t want them living in a massive version of 70s Ulster

Perhaps it will all disappear with the first wave of British summer rain. And never return. Who knows - that might happen 🙏🙏

Sweden says it will get worse. Denmark says there are remedies
    Weren't you supporting FoM from Europe a few weeks ago ?
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,539
    I keep hearing that there are only a few states in play. Picking someone who's likely to swing one of the key states would be the obvious thing to do.

A strange little incident from BBC News. A former senior Met officer mentions the Army officer stabbing and is quickly cut off.

https://x.com/livethedream99/status/1820086536806728065

He talks about people putting two and two together and making five. I'm not sure the beeb giving the impression it wants certain stories avoided will improve public confidence!
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    edited August 4
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

But again, that seems like classic political manipulation - are you on the side of brick throwers, or do you want to be one of the good, nice people*.

*which means never complaining about migration or whether it's having a negative affect on your life or community again.

Fuck no

"are you on the side of brick throwers, or do you want to be one of the good, nice people"

"which means never complaining about migration or whether it's having a negative affect on your life or community again"

Bollocks

You can complain, you can vote. We just had an election. The racists didn't win.

This is not complicated.
    The majority of those protesting have not been committing crimes. Your statements, and SKS's statements, happily lump them all in with those who have. Something I must have missed you doing when other protests that you were more aligned with politically turned to violence.

There were around a dozen or so EDL types in Leicester, and about 200 counter protesters, but only 2 arrests.
    1. That’s not true? There are videos of fairly random arrests across the country

2. But then you get mad things like the copper calmly asking the Muslim Defence League to “please leave your weapons at the mosque” as if it’s perfectly fine to walk around with a machete
    Bout 2 I have thought about that and the Copper said something like ‘if I was you if I had these I’d drop them at the Mosque’. I didn’t see it as anything other than a wise attempt at de-escalation Leon. I get the complaints about 2 tier policing. Don’t see that as it.

Leon said:

This is now sectarian rioting with whites versus non whites all across Britain. We have 30 mini Belfasts around the UK

Congratulations to all the British politicians who strived so mightily to achieve this fantastic outcome despite the foolish warnings of the British people

That is WHY it is like Ulster. Two communities of British citizens determined to attack each other and divided by faith (and race)

Do you, Leon?
    Do I what? Yes I would love to see a way of returning Britain to calm but I fear that 30 years of insane migration/asylum/multiculti policies - from both parties - have led us to the brink

It needs inspired leadership. Something truly special. I want this leadership to happen because although I can personally escape this mess most of my friends and family are in Britain and I don’t want them living in a massive version of 70s Ulster

Perhaps it will all disappear with the first wave of British summer rain. And never return. Who knows - that might happen 🙏🙏

I strongly suggest that you read over what you've just written and consider whether it's quite what you want.
    I just did. My central claim is that we now have sometimes-violent sectarian division between British citizens in Britain - as was the case in Northern Ireland. In what way is that wrong?
    Except it isn't sectarian, except in your mind. The EDL protesters are nearly all white, though I suspect few have been to church at all, while the counter protesters are all faiths and colours, indeed majority white British.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605

I keep hearing that there are only a few states in play. Picking someone who's likely to swing one of the key states would be the obvious thing to do.

A strange little incident from BBC News. A former senior Met officer mentions the Army officer stabbing and is quickly cut off.

He talks about people putting two and two together and making five. I'm not sure the beeb giving the impression it wants certain stories avoided will improve public confidence!

I saw that. Seemed odd she cut across him and cut him off without allowing him to expand on the point he was making.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517

It's almost like there's reporting restrictions in place and the BBC do not want to be in contempt of court.
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Fuck no

Bollocks

This is not complicated.

Leon said:

Do you, Leon?

I strongly suggest that you read over what you've just written and consider whether it's quite what you want.
    I just did. My central claim is that we now have sometimes-violent sectarian division between British citizens in Britain - as was the case in Northern Ireland. In what way is that wrong?
    Except it isn't sectarian, except in your mind. The EDL protesters are nearly all white, though I suspect few have been to church at all, while the counter protesters are all faiths and colours, indeed majority white British.
    Leaving the rioting aside are you aware of what happened to Jonathan Ashworth MP in Leicester?

It's almost like there's reporting restrictions in place and the BBC do not want to be in contempt of court.
    But why? There's a feeling now that CoC is being used to censor the news.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676

DM_Andy said:

Scott_xP said:

Fuck no

Bollocks

This is not complicated.
    The majority should be stopping the minority committing crimes. All demonstrations that I've been on have had stewards that work with police to ensure as much as possible that no troublemakers latch on and use the majority to cover their criminality. Where's the stewardship of these demonstrations?

I tend to agree. I am on the side of strong law and order - vandals and violent thugs should be given a good shoeing and the book thrown at them. But I felt the same about BLM, Gaza, Harehills etc. I didn't notice ScottP, you, or any of our 'centre-left' contingent making those arguments then.
    I’ve been on here calling out the Gaza and Harehills stuff.
    Good, I commend you.
    I can’t commend you. The fix is not more division and whataboutery
    As far as I can see, it's SKS who is trying to create division.

What I am in favour of is equal application of the law across communities, colours and creeds. My theory is that far from being complicated, the vast majority of political issues are very simple. Apply the law equally in a colourblind fashion, and you don't get Rotherham, you don't get Harehills, and you don't get Southport. Remember Adam Smith's dictum -

"Little else is requisite to carry a state to the highest degree of opulence from the lowest barbarism, but peace, easy taxes, and a tolerable administration of justice; all the rest being brought about by the natural course of things."

This is a tolerable adminstration of justice issue.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Fuck no

Bollocks

This is not complicated.

Leon said:

Do you, Leon?

Leaving the rioting aside are you aware of what happened to Jonathan Ashworth MP in Leicester?
    Jonathan Ashworth ex-MP, surely!
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    A useful contribution to the debate.

"nazir afzal
    @nazirafzal

If I hear one more racist say “they’re invading our country” & “they don’t share core British values,” I’m going to remind them of how invading countries used to be a core British value
    10:40 PM · Aug 3, 2024
    ·
    2.1M Views"

https://x.com/nazirafzal/status/1819850774706344317

Then those people with those feelings are incredibly ignorant about the history of the country.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757

DM_Andy said:

Scott_xP said:

Fuck no

Bollocks

This is not complicated.
    The majority should be stopping the minority committing crimes. All demonstrations that I've been on have had stewards that work with police to ensure as much as possible that no troublemakers latch on and use the majority to cover their criminality. Where's the stewardship of these demonstrations?

I tend to agree. I am on the side of strong law and order - vandals and violent thugs should be given a good shoeing and the book thrown at them. But I felt the same about BLM, Gaza, Harehills etc. I didn't notice ScottP, you, or any of our 'centre-left' contingent making those arguments then.
    Good, I commend you.
    Agreed.
    Such violent behaviour is wrong, irrespective of the views of those engaging in it.

DM_Andy said:

Scott_xP said:

Fuck no

Bollocks

This is not complicated.

When I defended social services and police in Harehills for taking investigation of suspected child abuse seriously, I was set upon by right wingers on here. It wasn't left wingers being apologist for those rioters either.

Indeed a few too many right wingers here have spent the last month talking up trouble, following Lenin's saying "The worse, the better" for their fellow citizens.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,845
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Fuck no

Bollocks

This is not complicated.

Leon said:

I’m guessing your reply is to Rochdale and not me !
    From another point of view, it's one community determined to attack almost any other community. Tommy Robinson's white working-class teenagers attacking Muslim people, Hindu people, Black people, and soon probably also Eastern Europeans, too.

The vast majority of the huge number of different British communities are not at each other's throats, this summer.

The same happened when Adam Boulton on Sky interviewed a former police officer at the height of the BLM protests. Asked if the police were actively targeting black people, he replied that on the contrary, the police had virtually given up policing that community. The interview was terminated in seconds. This is on an avowedly right wing channel with an avowedly right wing gammon presenter.

Simply apply the law equally without fear or favour, everyone will know where they stand, and community cohesion will improve as a result.

Then those people with those feelings are incredibly ignorant about the history of the country.
    Why would it apply here? Are we not going to talk about a very serious crime that has been committed in the last couple of weeks? How often does that happen?

There does seem to be a more general pattern of media publicity among crime victims possibly based upon what journalists are interested in or think their readers are interested in

Middle class > working class
    White > non-white
    Female > male
    Pretty > ugly
    Young > old
    London > non-London
    People like us > people different to us
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470

Ian Dunt
    @IanDunt
    ·
    26m
    Worth spreading these videos as much as possible, the more humiliating the better. Part of the task of the next few days is messaging: you'll be arrested, you'll go to prison, you'll regret it for the rest of your life.

https://x.com/IanDunt/status/1820158012176191858
    edited August 4
    Depressing to read this.

"Rioters set fire to ‘library of the future’ in Liverpool

Far-Right rioters set fire to a library in one of the UK’s most deprived areas, leaving parts of it “completely destroyed”. Spellow Lane Library Hub, in Walton, north Liverpool, was set ablaze on Saturday evening, and footage showed people laughing as flames consumed the building. The library, which was reopened last year by the city’s Lord Mayor, was hailed as the ‘library of the future’ and helped provide routes into education and employment for the community. The area lies in the third most deprived ward in the UK. Speaking about the damage to the library, a spokesperson for Liverpool City Council told The Telegraph: “It’s such a shame because it’s such a community asset. It’s really sad. “Elements of it are completely destroyed. Even the bits that look ok, there will probably be some smoke damage.” Council officials were visiting the library on Sunday morning to inspect the damage."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/08/04/southport-latest-news-rioting-disorder-arrests-liverpool/
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605

Why wasn’t that said instead of just cutting him off, assuming that was actually the reason.

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Fuck no

Bollocks

This is not complicated.

Leon said:

Do you, Leon?

Yes and much impressed by the statement made by his replacement:

https://x.com/ShockatAdam/status/1819860292936880502?t=-kYKz71xKqEshfi-5uBa4g&s=19
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    Andy_JS said:

"nazir afzal
    @nazirafzal

If I hear one more racist say “they’re invading our country” & “they don’t share core British values,” I’m going to remind them of how invading countries used to be a core British value
    ·
    2.1M Views"

This is one of the things that bugs me with 'British Values' (along with the de facto tautology in 'tolerance and mutual respect').

I mean, traditional British values are knocking Jonny Foreigner on the head and nicking all his cash.

Democracy is quite recent at best, and deeply flawed at worst.

The rule of law? From Gove?

As for liberty, that's also not a traditional one as the Northern Irish could explain to you.

It's patronising, pompous, lying bullshit.

And one of the great things about teenagers is they can see pseuds at a thousand yards.
    Andy_JS said:

"nazir afzal
    @nazirafzal

·
    2.1M Views"

Invading countries has never been a core British value. It isn't even a core American value. One only invades when one can no longer influence without the bother of invading and garrisoning.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470
    Andy_JS said:

"nazir afzal
    @nazirafzal

·
    2.1M Views"

I doubt many of these racists are actually proper british, pre-roman invasion stock.

Andy_JS said:

"nazir afzal
    @nazirafzal

·
    2.1M Views"

I doubt many of these racists are actually proper british, pre-roman invasion stock.
    Most of them are Saxons and Vikings.

Send the bastards back to Jutland.

The only point on which I have the slightest bit of sympathy with such views, is based on the unresolved delays in the administration of justice, which mean that even the most violent crimes can take many years to come to court.

Almost certainly that has contributed to the current lack of confidence in the criminal justice system.

It doesn’t excuse conspiracy theories, but it does create an environment in which they flourish.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,206
    Nigelb said:

DM_Andy said:

Scott_xP said:

Fuck no

Bollocks

This is not complicated.

Good, I commend you.
    Agreed.
    Such violent behaviour is wrong, irrespective of the views of those engaging in it.
    well hopefully we wont be importing more twattish ideas from the US such as defund the police.

Why would it apply here? Are we not going to talk about a very serious crime that has been committed in the last couple of weeks? How often does that happen?
    It happens many many times, hence your ignorance.

We can talk about it when the trial starts and the jury has been selected.

But I am guessing it could be for several reasons, people on social media already doxxed the wrong person/motive.

There may well be other charges/people involved that the police and CPS are still investigating.

A recent example was Jolyon Maughan causing the trial of the murder of Brianna Ghey to coming close to being abandoned.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092

Andy_JS said:

"nazir afzal
    @nazirafzal

·
    2.1M Views"

Invading countries has never been a core British value.
    Never heard of the British Empire?
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,279
    edited August 4
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

"nazir afzal
    @nazirafzal

·
    2.1M Views"

This is one of the things that bugs me with 'British Values' (along with the de facto tautology in 'tolerance and mutual respect').

I mean, traditional British values are knocking Jonny Foreigner on the head and nicking all his cash.

As for liberty, that's also not a traditional one as the Northern Irish could explain to you.

And one of the great things about teenagers is they can see pseuds at a thousand yards.
    Because we, shamefully, didn't see Johnny Foreigner as fully human. Now we do, and the values we used to apply only amongst ourselves now apply to all.

Not the values' fault per se.
  • Tim_in_RuislipTim_in_Ruislip Posts: 401
    edited August 4
    What the hell were the Cameronites thinking?

Defunding the police/criminal justice system.

Bloody idiots.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799

Andy_JS said:

"nazir afzal
    @nazirafzal

·
    2.1M Views"

There's a real mix by the looks of things. From the inital EDL types, to younger chav/roadman idiots who don't seem to be protesting but are along for a riot/looting, and then there are what might broadly be described as spectators who are along to cheer the riotters and get some video for social media. They aren't all white, not all of them seem to be political or protesting, and I'm fairly sure a decent number aren't in their own minds even participating.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,214
    I just looked at Starmers video. The double standards between the stance taken now on 'far right' rioting and what he said in 2020 about BLM is really obvious. Farage isn't saying much at the moment; he is just waiting for the right time to attack Starmer over this. Starmer may imprison a load of thugs, but the problem of the 'far right' is just going to get bigger. Reform intend to make rapid progress in the north of england, this is a good opportunity for them.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

"nazir afzal
    @nazirafzal

·
    2.1M Views"

Most of them are Saxons and Vikings.

Send the bastards back to Jutland.
    Just wondering what some of us would say if told that only the Cornish, Welsh and Cumbrians qualified to be British (Southern Cultivar).
    edited August 4
    carnforth said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

"nazir afzal
    @nazirafzal

·
    2.1M Views"

Because we, shamefully, didn't see Johnny Foreigner as fully human. Now we do, and the values we used to apply only amongst ourselves now apply to all.

Not the values' fault per se.
    Hmmmmmmm.

I'm not sure the rapacious capitalists of nineteenth century England and Scotland, with rare exceptions like the Cadburys, Robert Owen or Friedrich Engels, saw their workers as fully human either.

And the Enclosures were asset theft on a grand scale.
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

"nazir afzal
    @nazirafzal

·
    2.1M Views"

George Washington

If all else fails, I will retreat up the valley of Virginia, plant my flag on the Blue Ridge, rally around the Scotch-Irish of that region and make my last stand for liberty amongst a people who will never submit to British tyranny whilst there is a man left to draw a trigger."

You forelock tugger
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455

Andy_JS said:

"nazir afzal
    @nazirafzal

·
    2.1M Views"

Invading countries has never been a core British value. It isn't even a core American value. One only invades when one can no longer influence without the bother of invading and garrisoning.
    Never a core British value?

90% of the world's countries would be surprised at your assertion.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=how+many+countries+has+britain+invaded
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    On a more cheerful note, Béziers is genuinely odd

It’s very beautiful - like so many French towns - it has some spectacular views across the languedoc valleys and a quaint pretty historic quarter. Plus some handsome 19th century boulevards and squares

In most countries it would be prized as a jewel and be upper middle class for sure. But the people here feel like somewhat poorer Brits. A lot of tatts and smoking. Quite shit restaurants everywhere. Cheap clothes and cheap booze

It’s hard for a Briton to reconcile the apparently elegant Mediterranean urbanism with a poorer citizenry

Can it possibly be a psychographical hangover from the Albigensian crusade?! A cursed town?
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,766
    edited August 4
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

"nazir afzal
    @nazirafzal

·
    2.1M Views"

I wouldn't say pre-modern Britain was more or less violent or thieving than other countries. Modern Britain is definitely less violent and criminal or corrupt than the global average, at least according to relevant international rankings.

As for traditional values, how relevant are they really? When it comes to today's political debates, does it matter what we were like in the 17th century? Anyway, British history is long and complicated enough that you can cherry-pick any value you want and claim either that it is a traditional value, or that it is complete anathema to us.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    OT. It shows how disgusting some of our fellow Brits are.

A few depressingly represented on here.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420

Picking a VP to swing their state has a rather spotty track record.

Shapiro has a big issue with the Left of the Democrat Party over Gaza.

Kelly has less issues and may have more reach with independents and swing voters.

Nigelb said:

DM_Andy said:

Scott_xP said:

Fuck no

Bollocks

This is not complicated.

Good, I commend you.
    Agreed.
    well hopefully we wont be importing more twattish ideas from the US such as defund the police.
    Someone was just talking about stupid whataboutery.
    I'm on the left, but British history is not just pillage and exploitation.

There is a very specific liberal tradition here worth taking some pride in here, or at least seeking to perpetuate, just as the French take pride in theirs.
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

DM_Andy said:

Scott_xP said:

Fuck no

Bollocks

This is not complicated.

Good, I commend you.
    Agreed.
    Someone was just talking about stupid whataboutery.
    Probably Biden but he didnt know it
    Wow. I’m not wrong

Béziers general election results

It was Le Pen first and the “extreme right” second

https://www.lemonde.fr/resultats-legislatives-2024/beziers-34032/

Extraordinary. A lot of unhappiness here

Andy_JS said:

"nazir afzal
    @nazirafzal

·
    2.1M Views"

Invading countries has never been a core British value.
    Never heard of the British Empire?
    I studied the British Empire. The majority of Britain's territorial expansion came in just the way I describe - previously those countries were British spheres of influence so we were able to benefit without actually having to plant the flag. When other countries or regional powers became powerful and threatened our interests, those territories were made official colonies. That's how most of the Empire came about. Like marrying your girlfriend to stop her going off with someone else. If you can get all the goods and don't think she'll go off with someone else, you don't need to propose. It's an indelicate analogy but it works just about.
    Andy_JS said:

Depressing to read this.

"Rioters set fire to ‘library of the future’ in Liverpool

Far-Right rioters set fire to a library in one of the UK’s most deprived areas, leaving parts of it “completely destroyed”. Spellow Lane Library Hub, in Walton, north Liverpool, was set ablaze on Saturday evening, and footage showed people laughing as flames consumed the building. The library, which was reopened last year by the city’s Lord Mayor, was hailed as the ‘library of the future’ and helped provide routes into education and employment for the community. The area lies in the third most deprived ward in the UK. Speaking about the damage to the library, a spokesperson for Liverpool City Council told The Telegraph: “It’s such a shame because it’s such a community asset. It’s really sad. “Elements of it are completely destroyed. Even the bits that look ok, there will probably be some smoke damage.” Council officials were visiting the library on Sunday morning to inspect the damage."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/08/04/southport-latest-news-rioting-disorder-arrests-liverpool/

It looks like the nazis are already at the burning books stage.
    Fishing said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

"nazir afzal
    @nazirafzal

·
    2.1M Views"

I wouldn't say pre-modern Britain was more or less violent or thieving than other countries. Modern Britain is definitely less violent and criminal or corrupt than the global average, at least according to relevant international rankings.

As for traditional values, how relevant are they really? When it comes to today's political debates, does it matter what we were like in the 17th century? Anyway, British history is long and complicated enough that you can cherry-pick any value you want and claim either that it is a traditional value, or that it is complete anathema to us.
    Then don't call them 'traditional British values.'

It isn't true and it isn't convincing.

It makes them come across as 'the indoctrination wish list of a bunch of hypocritical drunks and smackheads.'

Well, of course, that's what they *are*, but there are ways of making it less obvious with just a little intellige...ah, I see the problem.
    Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

"nazir afzal
    @nazirafzal

·
    2.1M Views"

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=how+many+countries+has+britain+invaded
    'A core value' suggests that we invaded other countries because we felt like it. This has never been the case.

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

"nazir afzal
    @nazirafzal

·
    2.1M Views"

'A core value' suggests that we invaded other countries because we felt like it. This has never been the case.
    The Sultan of Zanzibar might disagree with you.

Bloody idiots.

Did they say that?
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,349
    Leon said:

Is your problem with non-whites or is it with Muslims? Is it skin colour or religion?

How you feel about white Muslims or black Christians?
    I'm not sure what is driving you.

Nigelb said:

DM_Andy said:

Scott_xP said:

Fuck no

Bollocks

This is not complicated.

Good, I commend you.
    Agreed.
    Or imbecile wannabes referring to the police as 'the feds'.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761

Massive pet peeve of mine, dickheads going to a gig and filming the whole thing with their cellphone.

Yes. The row in front spend the who concert filming the show on mahoosive phones. The row behind are drunken “singers” who sing like peacocks screeching.
    edited August 4
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

"nazir afzal
    @nazirafzal

·
    2.1M Views"

The Sultan of Zanzibar might disagree with you.
    I admit I didn't know very much about Zanzibar specifically, but a quick Google indicates much the same pattern I've described.

British influence in the region grew and grew, it became a protectorate in 1890, but when the Britain-friendly Sultan died in suspicious circumstances and the successor was less friendly to British interests, war and invasion followed. That's a a variation on the 'sphere-of-influence>challenge>invasion-solidification' pattern.

It's also worth remembering that the Sultans themselves were outsiders, from Oman.
  • KnightOutKnightOut Posts: 115
    When is someone more important than me going to stand up and 'Reclaim the Right'?

I consider myself to be very right wing, but the beliefs and behaviours of the so-called 'far right' is absolute anathema to me.

Now I accept that there's a slight possibilty that I've spent my life misunderstanding the definitions and that I am actually a raging lefty or radical centrist or something, but my strong suspicion is that it is the 'far right' who have been mislabelled. By those for whom such an agenda would be strategically convenient.

And I'm fucking sick of it. I'd like those of us who are strongly in favour of individualism, personal freedoms, minimal state, sound money etc. to be able to say that we are very right wing and proud of the fact, without all the negative connotations.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,687
    Barnesian said:

Leon said:

Is your problem with non-whites or is it with Muslims? Is it skin colour or religion?

The hope that a crowd of billy goats will gather on the bridge and engage him in conversation.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,279
    Off topic: two left in the women's high jump. Both have cleared 2m.
  • DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 812

Nunu5 said:

Is there a market on how long it will be before Labour is behind in any poll to the Tories.?

Or reform
    If you want to lose money.. by all means.. no sane person supports Reform.
    A bit like this?

“Governor,” someone once told Adlai Stevenson, the cerebral 1956 Democratic presidential candidate, “every thinking person in America will vote for you.”
    Two tier Keir is a dangerous moniker that could stick. He'll need to tread carefully. And it isn't true that all the counter protesters have been multi-cultural and peaceful. We've had gangs of muslim men charging around chanting Allahu Akbar. They may be unhappy with things they've seen in recent days but that's not likely to help.

It only increases my admiration for our Jewish population who have retained an incredibly dignified civility in spite of everything that they have experienced over the last nine months.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 6,637
    Barnesian said:

Leon said:

Muslims, primarily. He had no problem trolling around Thailand.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    It is putting a key state in play that is pivotal for Harris though and that means Shapiro and Pennsylvania. Buttigieg may have OK numbers with Democrats overall but Indiana will likely stay GOP
    edited August 4
    Barnesian said:

Leon said:

My beef is with absurd leftist nostrums like multiculturalism - parallel societies with parallel values. It is a disaster. Also the idea that you can have essentially limitless migration and asylum from any culture worldwide and it won’t cause enormous problems - and that anyone who complains should be labelled and silenced as a racist, which solves all issues

THAT is my beef. It is now plainly apparent that all these policies are destructively stupid
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761
    EPG said:

Barnesian said:

Leon said:

Most racists are thick. @Leon is thick, despite his alleged IQ.
  • DopermeanDopermean Posts: 269
    Andy_JS said:

Bloody idiots.

Did they say that?
    They did that.
    It's what they not what they said that's the problem.
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954

Two tier Keir is a dangerous moniker that could stick. He'll need to tread carefully. And it isn't true that all the counter protesters have been multi-cultural and peaceful. We've had gangs of muslim men charging around chanting Allahu Akbar. They may be unhappy with things they've seen in recent days but that's not likely to help.

It only increases my admiration for our Jewish population who have retained an incredibly dignified civility in spite of everything that they have experienced over the last nine months.

Jewish population look white so aren't targetted.
    edited August 4

Picking a VP to swing their state has a rather spotty track record.

Shapiro has a big issue with the Left of the Democrat Party over Gaza.

Kelly has less issues and may have more reach with independents and swing voters.
    The left of the Democrat Party is irrelevant under FPTP, it is the swing states that are all that matters. Pennsylvania also has more EC votes than Arizona.

Ask Starmer how devastating it was losing some on the left of Labour to Independents and Galloway, given he still won the biggest Labour landslide since Blair. Even if Harris takes a hit in the popular vote with a few Democrat defections to Stein and the Greens if she wins PA it would have been worth it
    I am starting to consider the possibility that JD Vance is actually doing a Borat-level troll of the entire GOP and after the election he’ll release a movie.
    https://x.com/ElieNYC/status/1819864683706265675
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    edited August 4

No doubt your admiration will now extend to Muslims peacefully worshipping in mosques fearful that at any moment they will be attacked, and to innocent asylum seekers that the British state, due to its incompetence, has accommodated in hotels, living in fear that at any moment the far right will seek to attack the hotel.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040
    EPG said:

Barnesian said:

Leon said:

There are ‘issues’ with Muslims in Thailand.

EPG said:

Barnesian said:

Leon said:

Most racists are thick. @Leon is thick, despite his alleged IQ.
    Yes of course dear. Have a shandy in your pitiful scotch hovel
    Nunu5 said:

Er....... they most definitely have been since 7 October.
    Nunu5 said:

That"s a bit complex, as some do, and some don't.

The largest-growing population are also Orthodox Jews, pretty identifiable.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314
    Gold for Ukraine! 🥇🇺🇦

Congratulations to Yaroslava Mahuchikh in the women’s high jump.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527

Olympic level whataboutery.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    Nunu5 said:

Is that you Diane?
    edited August 4
    KnightOut said:

When is someone more important than me going to stand up and 'Reclaim the Right'?

I consider myself to be very right wing, but the beliefs and behaviours of the so-called 'far right' is absolute anathema to me.

Now I accept that there's a slight possibilty that I've spent my life misunderstanding the definitions and that I am actually a raging lefty or radical centrist or something, but my strong suspicion is that it is the 'far right' who have been mislabelled. By those for whom such an agenda would be strategically convenient.

And I'm fucking sick of it. I'd like those of us who are strongly in favour of individualism, personal freedoms, minimal state, sound money etc. to be able to say that we are very right wing and proud of the fact, without all the negative connotations.

1) if a plane crashes on the border of Ukraine and the Republic of China, which side should we bury the survivors?

2) if you are in a queue at A&E for four hours and someone cuts into the queue, do you
    A) shoot them
    B ) challenge them to a single stick duel
    C )do nothing but mutter under your breath to someone else in the queue about manners.

3) when the sacristan of an ancient French cathedral offers you a medieval manuscript created by a cleric who died in mysterious circumstances, for a price far below its value, do you -
    A) buy it
    B ) say no very politely, then leave town fast
    C ) see if you can arrange for Putin (or similar) to buy it
    Leon said:

Yes but most of the whites rioting are EDL linked or far right, not average members of the population
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,349
    edited August 4
    Leon said:

Barnesian said:

Leon said:

My beef is with absurd leftist nostrums like multiculturalism - parallel societies with parallel values. It is a disaster. Also the idea that you can have essentially limitless migration and asylum from any culture worldwide and it won’t cause enormous problems - and that anyone who complains should be labelled and silenced as a racist, which solves all issues

THAT is my beef. It is now plainly apparent that all these policies are destructively stupid
    Thanks for the response. So it's not skin colour or religion. It's multiple cultures.

I love London. I think it is the greatest city in the world. And part of what makes it so is the mixture of cultures. I love the diversity of languages, clothes, food, music. It's got energy and surprise.

Would you prefer London to be like Bournemouth? Old white couples, bless them, harmlessly wandering around exploring its biologically diverse gardens and planning their next bridge game.

PS I like the Danish approach.
    EPG said:

Barnesian said:

Leon said:

There are lots of Muslims in Thailand.

Mind you, they don’t look like the stereotype angry beard types….
    You know what. I’m nearly done here

If you want to drive every sane or civilised right wing voice off the site then carry on exactly as you are and I will indeed leave. And this time I won’t come back

And this site will turn into an insanely boring pile of shite where centrist lefty dads discuss the fucking west coast main line. And it will finally die
  • Tim_in_RuislipTim_in_Ruislip Posts: 401
    edited August 4
    Nunu5 said:

They're the current in-group;

https://slatestarcodex.com/2014/09/30/i-can-tolerate-anything-except-the-outgroup/

Is a decent essay that explores the psychology.

Without the Muslims, they'd probably still be the outgroup.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,689

KnightOut said:

1) if a plane crashes on the border of Ukraine and the Republic of China, which side should we bury the survivors?

2) if you are in a queue at A&E for four hours and someone cuts into the queue, do you
    A) shoot them
    B ) challenge them to a single stick duel
    C )do nothing but mutter under your breath to someone else in the queue about manners.

3) when the sacristan of an ancient French cathedral offers you a medieval manuscript created by a cleric who died in mysterious circumstances, for a price far below its value, do you -
    A) buy it
    B ) say no very politely, then leave town fast
    C ) see if you can arrange for Putin (or similar) to buy it
    Bah. I'm supposed to be the batshit insane libertarian on this forum.

Where does KnightOut stand on the legalisation of drugs, the trans issue, and the right of every upstanding British citizen to concealed carry an M28 Davy Crockett for personal protection?
    The Daily Mail seems to have had a change of mind.

Its comments are back, so the thousands of Tommy Robinson fans alongside the Russian bots are, too.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462

Leon said:

You know what. I’m nearly done here

If you want to drive every sane or civilised right wing voice off the site then carry on exactly as you are and I will indeed leave. And this time I won’t come back

And this site will turn into an insanely boring pile of shite where centrist lefty dads discuss the fucking west coast main line. And it will finally die

Nonsense.
    Some of us are more interested in the East Coast main line.
    Just don't get us onto the four-tracking of the Welwyn viaduct... that causes real holy wars on here...
    Meanwhile, Harry and Meghan talk about protecting their children
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cldydy6e1d0o
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    So who do we fancy for the 100 metres?
    I think Noah Lyles hasn't expended anything so far.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    Belgium out of tomorrow's triathlon relay after an athlete falls ill... days after swimming in the Seine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/articles/cgerrl2w19ko

Hope she recovers soon.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    While there are still people willing to trudge through this thread an irrelevant story. My oldest friend an academic and now a professor was intending to visit his old haunts. He called to ask if I could jog his memory about a few things. Before going to Edinburgh and Oxford he'd been to Burnage Grammar. "Was it still there?"

I did some speedy research and found that it was and among it's short list of famous Alumni was none other than Sir Norman Foster the bass player of Oasis and Mike Smithson!
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    Leon said:

It’s not whites against non-whites. It’s facists against non-fascists. You’ve been in France since this blew up and wouldn’t be seen in any of the affected cities if your life depended on it.

The 25% of the year you do spend in the UK is largely spent in a right wing London media bubble moaning about how you’d like to be a “digital nomad”. Otherwise known as an “immigrant” from the perspective of your potential hosts.

You have literally no fucking clue what’s going on save for what you read on TwiX You’re not as stupid as some on here make out but your pretence to speak for, or understand, the British people is as laughable as your prose.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358

The majority of those protesting have not been committing crimes.

Fuck off

The crowd who set fire to a hotel today were not protesting, they were rioting.

Inciting and encouraging them appears to also be a crime
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314
    dixiedean said:

The Jamaicans looked good in the semis, but I’m not seeing any particular athlete standing out as we did in the days of Usain Bolt. They’re all capable of winning a medal, and it’ll be whoever turns up on the night.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,365
    dixiedean said:

Disappointing no Brit in the final again
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,533

EPG said:

Barnesian said:

Leon said:

There are lots of Muslims in Thailand.

Mind you, they don’t look like the stereotype angry beard types….
    I was quite surprised when I was digging into the Thailand wikipedia pages how much "islamist" (drugs/smuggling/IRA-esque) violence they have. I'd really no idea there were so many deaths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Thailand_insurgency

Over 6,500 people died and almost 12,000 were injured between 2004 and 2015 in a formerly ethnic separatist insurgency, which has currently been taken over by hard-line jihadis and pitted them against both the Thai-speaking Buddhist minority and local Muslims who have a moderate approach or who support the Thai government.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

It’s not whites against non-whites. It’s facists against non-fascists.
    To what extent do you think that anti-white racism exists in communities within Britain and is it a problem?
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    tlg86 said:

Nunu5 said:

Is that you Diane?
    Am I wrong? Majority of Jewish in Britain today LOOK white. You couldn't tell them apart from a Russian in London
This discussion has been closed.